Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But he did play the position some at Toledo. And Mancz is the kind of player who plays above his talent level.

Just because Mancz went undrafted doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. His biggest issue was his strength level coming out of Toledo, which can be hidden as a center (most of our combo blocks involves the center) & even improved upon with a good strength & conditioning program & a little determination.

Brandon420tx

Flounder
It seems like every season there is someone on the Oline who improves a lot from the previous season. Last season was Mancz, before him was Brooks (for 2 straight seasons), I'm hoping this season it's Allen. I would like to say a RT, but I just don't have faith in Clark when it comes to improving, he basically is what he is at this point. I think if Allen can come back from his injury and now have a better understanding of the plays he can be the FA we wanted him to be last season.

There is some experimenting in store for this season. Could try Martin swinging all 3 interior spots, could try XSF at RT. Alot of tinkering to do one the line. I don't think it'll be as bad as we all think, but I also don't expect it to be as good as the most optimistic of us hope.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let's get the thread back on topic. Does anyone have any real input on my suggestion that Mancz could move to RT.

I'm not suggesting that he would be more than adequate. But the bar is set rather low with Clark and Lamm.

But he did play the position some at Toledo. And Mancz is the kind of player who plays above his talent level. Mancz has college level experience at every line position except LT and has always performed well when called on.

So, if we don't upgrade the position in the coming weeks, could Mancz provide better play until we do.
I am down with this Mancz cant be worse than Clark.

What I don't want is XSF playing RT. He was worse than Clark as a rookie at RT.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It seems like every season there is someone on the Oline who improves a lot from the previous season. Last season was Mancz, before him was Brooks (for 2 straight seasons), I'm hoping this season it's Allen. I would like to say a RT, but I just don't have faith in Clark when it comes to improving, he basically is what he is at this point. I think if Allen can come back from his injury and now have a better understanding of the plays he can be the FA we wanted him to be last season.

There is some experimenting in store for this season. Could try Martin swinging all 3 interior spots, could try XSF at RT. Alot of tinkering to do one the line. I don't think it'll be as bad as we all think, but I also don't expect it to be as good as the most optimistic of us hope.
Allen played some RT with the Chiefs. Pretty well too, I remember somebody breaking down Allen's play when he signed and Allen was very powerful at RT. If healthy and if Devlin gives him a chance Allen could be the answer at RT.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Just because Mancz went undrafted doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. His biggest issue was his strength level coming out of Toledo, which can be hidden as a center (most of our combo blocks involves the center) & even improved upon with a good strength & conditioning program & a little determination.
The primary reason, imo, he wasn't drafted was that he was injured at the end of the season and had surgery. He didn't participate in the combine or at his pro day. He's about 10 pounds heavier now and that is likely a result of his time in the weight room.

Insideop

All Pro
Weight 310, arm 34 and hand 10, Mancz matches or exceeds Clark and Lamm. Height is an inch, or two, shorter. Atheticism is what I'm unsure of. But he has played the position in college.

What I would like to see in Mancz, or another veteran, is a short term improvement over last year; and who would start game one but with Davenport taking snaps each game, working his way into the starting position.
The problem, to me anyway, with moving Mancz to RT is that he just spent all of last season playing and developing into a good OC. I would prefer to leave Mancz at OC and find someone else to fill in at RT. Now, I do agree with your statement about having someone else start at RT with Davenport taking snaps each game to get his feet wet, and I hope, if they plan on making him their RT, that they play him at that position the whole time during OTA's, TC, and Preseason. Get him as many reps as possible at that position before the real games start, then build his snaps as the season progresses. Hopefully by mid season he will be able to take over full time.

Insideop

All Pro
Anyone know anything about the three UDFA Oline pickups?
Dimitric Camiel, OT, Indiana, 6'7", 320 lbs. Missed all but 2 games last season due to back injury. Had back surgery in Sept. Houston native who played at Westfield High. Texans had him in for the Local Pro Day.

Joe Scelfo, OC, NC State, 6'1", 300 lbs. His dad was head coach at Tulane. Here's a quote from Lance Zierlein: "He's not very tall, his arms are short, and he plays with some stiffness in his legs, but his tape is consistent from game to game and he has enough play strength to compete for a roster spot at some point. He's a center only, which hurts his chances, but guys like him have made it in the league in years past." You can find the rest of Lance's write up on him at NFL.com in the Draft section.

Jake Simonich, OG/RT, Utah St, 6'5", 305 lbs. Played in 52 games for Utah St. As a Senior he started 4 games at RT and 8 games at RG. Was named Honorable Mention All-Mountain West in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

That's about all I know on these 3. At best will probably be PS material, at worst, "camp fodder!" Camiel might have been draftable if he hadn't hurt his back. I guess he's fully recovered since the Texans had him in for the Local Pro Day and they must have seen enough in him to give him a shot.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The problem, to me anyway, with moving Mancz to RT is that he just spent all of last season playing and developing into a good OC. I would prefer to leave Mancz at OC and find someone else to fill in at RT. Now, I do agree with your statement about having someone else start at RT with Davenport taking snaps each game to get his feet wet, and I hope, if they plan on making him their RT, that they play him at that position the whole time during OTA's, TC, and Preseason. Get him as many reps as possible at that position before the real games start, then build his snaps as the season progresses. Hopefully by mid season he will be able to take over full time.
Don't forget, these OL prospects will be going against Watt, Clowney, and Mercilus everyday in practice so we should have some idea which of them can produce by the time preseason is over.

I disagree. You're not taking into account O'Brien's aversion to playing a any rookie QB, regardless of TC/preseason play. Granted, injuries could reshape the situation, but if all 3 remain standing going into game one, it'll be Savage 1, Weeden 2, Watson 3.

And keep a close eye out for any type of 'mysterious' injury that might occur to Watson during TC/preseason. We all know what O'Brien likes to do in those situations. :)
I just think Watson will be too impressive to ignore.

I know BO'b hates playing rookies but he will be under pressure to play DW sooner than later and he ultimately will cave in to that pressure.

I disagree. You're not taking into account O'Brien's aversion to playing a any rookie QB, regardless of TC/preseason play. Granted, injuries could reshape the situation, but if all 3 remain standing going into game one, it'll be Savage 1, Weeden 2, Watson 3.

And keep a close eye out for any type of 'mysterious' injury that might occur to Watson during TC/preseason. We all know what O'Brien likes to do in those situations. :)
I just think Watson will be too impressive to ignore.

I know BO'b hates playing rookies but he will be under pressure to play DW sooner than later and he ultimately will cave in to that pressure.
There's a difference between rushing a rookie to start & preparing a rookie to start. I'm expecting the QB guru to do the latter.
Plus I don't see our O-line near as bad as it was during David Carr's beginning.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
OB's job is on the line so I expect him to do it his way. Watson will not play unless Savage gets hurt or goes Brock. :foottap:

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I know people want to crush BO'B but he's not an idiot. I believe that he will install plays for DW that will use his skills to the team's advantage. As hard headed as he is, I think he wants to win more than to be an offensive ideologue.

Reactions: JB

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I need evidence for the absurd opinions in this thread. The idea that XSF is not only competent, but he is capable of changing positions. What plays suggest that Mancz has a future in this league? I've replayed simple DVR of several games, where are these opinions coming from?

The worst part of this rumor trail is that Brown is broken and getting too old and needs replacement. I studied our offensive line all season. Show me a play where Duane Brown ISN'T the best offensive lineman we have.

This is the single most embarrassing thread I've ever seen. More time has been spent on a single draft prospect than the entirety of research on our own personnel - yet posts are made about our line with such confidence.
Granted this is PFF, but they agree with you on DBrown while disagreeing about Mancz. The important thing they point out is that while Brown and Mancz were good, Clark was flat out bad. With both Guards not doing well in one or the other blocking scheme, it just created a widly inconsistent performance. Seems that someone solid at RT will hide the average Guard play.

18. Houston Texans (11)
Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top pass-blocking grade: C Greg Mancz, 87.2 (tied for No. 3)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

We have reached the point in the list where every remaining O-line is, at best, severely flawed. The Houston Texans’ unit saw a mix of excellent performances and pretty terrible ones in the regular season. LT Duane Brown began to creep back towards his best play this season, allowing only one sack all year and run blocked well, with the league’s seventh-best grade in that area, at 84.6. Greg Mancz—a player that dominated PFF’s grades in college—looked like a solid find for the team at center in his second season after being an undrafted free agent in 2015. Mancz allowed one sack and 18 total QB pressures across 671 pass-blocking snaps in the regular season, and was perfect in his Wild Card outing against the Raiders last week. Chris Clark, however, was the league’s worst pass-protecting right tackle, surrendering a ridiculous 67 total QB pressures on the season; he was also flagged 13 times. The guard pairing either let themselves down run blocking (Jeff Allen) or pass blocking (Xavier Su’a-Filo) over the year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Sandman I say this with the utmost respect ... this is the problem regarding evaluation (regurgitate someone else's thoughts). You haven't watched the games. You haven't seen then line's assignments. I do appreciate linking sources to others, but there is absolute zero reason to trust this site's judgment. I would rather you spent the few minutes that it took to find PFF's thoughts - and found a game on Youtube to see something for yourself.

Do you have any idea how wildly different the assignments are between Myers and Mancz? Smith and XSF? Why each are observed and graded differently? PFF barely knows, and doesn't care. Members on this site can break down the line movements though. If Mancz is so highly rated, why is he only capable of moving to his left? Or is that his assignment? Does that take into consideration that XSF and Mancz are double teamed (or at least chipped) together on 94% of plays?
I believe that I led with "Granted this is PFF". It is a different perspective. Take it for what you will. Didn't realize I needed football coach credentials to post here. Have a good one.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I need evidence for the absurd opinions in this thread. The idea that XSF is not only competent, but he is capable of changing positions. What plays suggest that Mancz has a future in this league? I've replayed simple DVR of several games, where are these opinions coming from?
I'd say go look at the two playoff games. XSF played very well imo. Maybe not probowl well, but I think he's headed in that direction.

& I think Mancz has played well all season, especially considering it's his first season.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Allen played some RT with the Chiefs. Pretty well too, I remember somebody breaking down Allen's play when he signed and Allen was very powerful at RT. If healthy and if Devlin gives him a chance Allen could be the answer at RT.
If this is true, then we could see a lineup like:

Brown-XSF-Martin-Mancz-Allen

With Clark going back to being the swing.

It's going to be interesting to see how Davenport and Fuller develop.

frethack

Rookie
For those with some OLine experience, how does the QB's depth during drops impact the play of the line? If a QB has a long stride in his drops, it would seem that it would stretch the pocket and make it more difficult for linemen in pass pro. I could be entirely wrong in the hypothesis, but on the surface it would seem to make sense.

I ask this because I read an interview (I think with DB...but cant seem to find it now) where he mentions that the line had to adjust to the deeper drops of The Brockolypse.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
For those with some OLine experience, how does the QB's depth during drops impact the play of the line? If a QB has a long stride in his drops, it would seem that it would stretch the pocket and make it more difficult for linemen in pass pro. I could be entirely wrong in the hypothesis, but on the surface it would seem to make sense.

I ask this because I read an interview (I think with DB...but cant seem to find it now) where he mentions that the line had to adjust to the deeper drops of The Brockolypse.
Crazy to think giraffe legs and the stride could effect protection. But when you think about it the longer it takes a second or two longer, could be the difference between a sack, a batted ball, and a complete pass. If Brock could hit the receiver of course.

frethack

Rookie
Crazy to think giraffe legs and the stride could effect protection. But when you think about it the longer it takes a second or two longer, could be the difference between a sack, a batted ball, and a complete pass. If Brock could hit the receiver of course.
That in addition to the line having to stretch their protection vertically and widening gaps. Again, not sure if this actually occurs, but I thought it might be possible.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Effectively OTs are trying to push their defenders by the QB, allowing the QB to step up into a pocket. They would need to have an idea of how far the QB sets up to know where to push their man. One of Brocks main problems last year was his tendeny to hit the last step of his drop and, if his initial read wasn't open, he'd float around vs step up, basically running himself into a sack

frethack

Rookie
Effectively OTs are trying to push their defenders by the QB, allowing the QB to step up into a pocket. They would need to have an idea of how far the QB sets up to know where to push their man. One of Brocks main problems last year was his tendeny to hit the last step of his drop and, if his initial read wasn't open, he'd float around vs step up, basically running himself into a sack
So if the OT's are having to push defenders further backfield, would this not also widen the B gaps?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If this is true, then we could see a lineup like:

Brown-XSF-Martin-Mancz-Allen

With Clark going back to being the swing.

It's going to be interesting to see how Davenport and Fuller develop.
Fuller/Davenport most likely wont be ready this season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wasn't the knock on Lamm core strength? 3rd offseason with the team, maybe he is able to compete in camp.
Hopefully

But I think you're speaking with your heart more than your brain.

Lamm is what he is. A marginally talented OT with some athleticism.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Fuller/Davenport most likely wont be ready this season.
I don't expect them to be. I didn't put them into that proposed lineup for that very reason.

I just said it's going to be interesting to see how they develop. Hopefully, they're pressing for starting spots next year or the year after.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I think as long as it's consistent it shouldn't matter. I believe there is some adjustments to be made, but as long as it's always the same on a 3 step drop, or a 5 step, or a 7... the linemen know what to expect, know what they have to do...

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
So if the OT's are having to push defenders further backfield, would this not also widen the B gaps?
As the play develops, yes. Both the A and B are widened, creating a pocket and throwing lanes

Are you asking about lining up with larger gaps?

frethack

Rookie
As the play develops, yes. Both the A and B are widened, creating a pocket and throwing lanes

Are you asking about lining up with larger gaps?
No, I meant as the play develops. I was thinking that wider gaps would make it more difficult to keep gap integrity, give blitzers more space to maneuver, and require the RB to have to protect a larger area. Didnt actually think about it creating larger throwing lanes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm still interested in this guy who joined team again in January after being on Practice Squad:

Laurence Gibson | 64
OT | Virginia Tech |
Houston Texans
Ht: 6056 / 6' 06" | Wt: 305 | Upd: 02/14/2017

2015 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about LAURENCE GIBSON: Virginia Tech, 6056 305 5.04. Fifth year senior from Sierra Vista, AZ. Started at left tackle for a season and a half. Gibson wowed scouts at the combine with elite measurements and workout numbers. His ability to move jumps off the tape as well. He shows potential to be more than just a workout warrior. Gibson is a sloppy player when it comes to essential technique. His athleticism won’t be enough to get by in the NFL, thus he will need at least a year of diligent skill work while also improving his strength and power. He is a long shot to make an eventual impact in the league, but this kind of athlete does not come around often. Superb athlete for the position with such easy movement in space. Physically gifted with length and foot quickness. Can move well laterally in a zone blocking scheme. Reaches the second level fast. Looks for more work as the play transpires, hustling downfield searching for a defender to drive through the ground. Hands are too far outside in pass protection and his pad level is too high. Won’t bend at the knees and often finds himself with his numbers facing the ground. Despite his ability to move, his feet will get stuck in mud. Lacks the functional strength to sustain blocks for more than a second or two. OSR:3/ 41. Sixth/seventh round. (A-35 1/8, H-10 3/8, BP-24, 10-1.76).

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Did the Texans pick him up from another team or did they get him as an UDFA last year?
Cowboys drafted him in the 7th round but he got injured in rookie camp and missed most of OTA's and they waived him. Chiefs picked him up and he was on their practice squad his rookie year. Chiefs cut him last year before rookie camp to make room for their rookie class. Falcons signed him before OTA's but he didn't make final cuts. Bears signed him but cut him a week later. Giants signed him to their practice squad and cut him 2 months later. Texans signed him to their practice squad in December then signed him to a futures contract in January.

In short, Texans are his 6th team and he's been in the league 2 years. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Insideop

All Pro
Cowboys drafted him in the 7th round but he got injured in rookie camp and missed most of OTA's and they waived him. Chiefs picked him up and he was on their practice squad his rookie year. Chiefs cut him last year before rookie camp to make room for their rookie class. Falcons signed him before OTA's but he didn't make final cuts. Bears signed him but cut him a week later. Giants signed him to their practice squad and cut him 2 months later. Texans signed him to their practice squad in December then signed him to a futures contract in January.

In short, Texans are his 6th team and he's been in the league 2 years. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
Sometimes it just takes the right situation with the right coaches to make it click for a player. Let's hope he finds that with the Texans!

bah007

Hall of Fame

Athleticism is great. Not much else going on there though. Very raw and poor technique. I think he has potential but he could easily lose his spot on the practice squad.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Athleticism is great. Not much else going on there though. Very raw and poor technique. I think he has potential but he could easily lose his spot on the practice squad.
definitely agree but for Texans he is like a guy just out of college with coaches looking at his skill set and size that look exciting. We have good coaching for his area that should get something productive with minimal costs. He is basically competing with Lamm, 4th round pick Davenport and that's it. It seems to be a great place to be and get a fair shot. Even if Clark remains with team it is not an impossible obstacle course.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
definitely agree but for Texans he is like a guy just out of college with coaches looking at his skill set and size that look exciting. We have good coaching for his area that should get something productive with minimal costs. He is basically competing with Lamm, 4th round pick Davenport and that's it. It seems to be a great place to be and get a fair shot. Even if Clark remains with team it is not an impossible obstacle course.
I'm not convinced Devlin is all that good a coach. Certainly didn't see anything to make me believe that last year

jradMIT

Veteran

That's one way to look at it, the other way is that as soon as this guy is cut, he immediately found another home so there has to be something that is drawing the teams to him. Here is his draft profile from last year. He has some great size, and performed very well at the combine. His short shuttle is exceptional. His Sparq rating of 90% is very encouraging. He is definitely a good mold of clay to shape into an OL.

• 6'6"HEIGHT
  • 35 1/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 305LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 3/8"HANDS
  • 5.04 SEC -40 Top Performer
  • 24 REPS Bench
  • 33.5 INCH -Vertical Top Performer
  • 113.0 INCH - Broad Jump Top Performer
  • 7.72 SEC - 3 cone
  • 4.56 SEC - Short shuttle Top Performer

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Plays with good lateral quickness when asked to zone block. Has enough foot quickness to race to and battle for the edge in run game. Added more than 20 pounds before the 2014 season, and showed improved play strength on tape. Highly intelligent with ability to process and recognize. Does adequate job of rolling hips at contact to create leverage. Manages to seal the edge against pass rushers at the last moment and will push rushers around the arc.
WEAKNESSES
Plays with sloppy hand placement in run and pass. Lacks power to snatch and sustain blocks with consistency. Ducks head into contact, losing sight of target. Plays with some knee stiffness. Struggles to gain much ground with overly tight kick slide and finds himself behind too often. Lacks desired power in lower half as a run blocker. Too excitable and struggles to maintain body composure in space. Still lacks core strength, despite adding weight.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 6 or 7
SOURCES TELL US
"Really uneven college tape. He'll look like an NFL starter in one half of a game and then and undrafted free agent in the next. He's athletic, but hard to tell if he's strong enough to play in the league." - AFC offensive line coach
BOTTOM LINE
Strange combination of lateral quickness and noticeable stiffness in lower half in pass sets and in space. Gibson has the movement skills of a zone tackle, but NFL teams might look right past him on draft day if he doesn't add more functional core strength.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame

That's one way to look at it, the other way is that as soon as this guy is cut, he immediately found another home so there has to be something that is drawing the teams to him. Here is his draft profile from last year. He has some great size, and performed very well at the combine. His short shuttle is exceptional. His Sparq rating of 90% is very encouraging. He is definitely a good mold of clay to shape into an OL.

• 6'6"HEIGHT
  • 35 1/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 305LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 3/8"HANDS
  • 5.04 SEC -40 Top Performer
  • 24 REPS Bench
  • 33.5 INCH -Vertical Top Performer
  • 113.0 INCH - Broad Jump Top Performer
  • 7.72 SEC - 3 cone
  • 4.56 SEC - Short shuttle Top Performer

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Plays with good lateral quickness when asked to zone block. Has enough foot quickness to race to and battle for the edge in run game. Added more than 20 pounds before the 2014 season, and showed improved play strength on tape. Highly intelligent with ability to process and recognize. Does adequate job of rolling hips at contact to create leverage. Manages to seal the edge against pass rushers at the last moment and will push rushers around the arc.
WEAKNESSES
Plays with sloppy hand placement in run and pass. Lacks power to snatch and sustain blocks with consistency. Ducks head into contact, losing sight of target. Plays with some knee stiffness. Struggles to gain much ground with overly tight kick slide and finds himself behind too often. Lacks desired power in lower half as a run blocker. Too excitable and struggles to maintain body composure in space. Still lacks core strength, despite adding weight.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 6 or 7
SOURCES TELL US
"Really uneven college tape. He'll look like an NFL starter in one half of a game and then and undrafted free agent in the next. He's athletic, but hard to tell if he's strong enough to play in the league." - AFC offensive line coach
BOTTOM LINE
Strange combination of lateral quickness and noticeable stiffness in lower half in pass sets and in space. Gibson has the movement skills of a zone tackle, but NFL teams might look right past him on draft day if he doesn't add more functional core strength.
He was also a 25 year old rookie so teams may not see a lot of upside with him.

Hottoddie

Veteran
With no 1st or 2nd round picks next year & a boatload of cap space, here's a very early projected list of 2018 restricted & unrestricted RT's. Some will be signed & never make it to free agency, but some will be there. See anyone you like? upload_2017-5-6_15-12-30.png

upload_2017-5-6_15-13-2.png

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm no OL expert, but I thought he must of done a good job with Mancz. Greg played pretty well in his first year filling in for Martin. He also was able to make some adjustments when other folks got injured that seem to workout.
Mancz performed above expectations, but was often helping out Xman, even on runs to the right... Agreed that injuries may have played a part, but the line never showed any cohesion, even late in the year

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mancz performed above expectations, but was often helping out Xman, even on runs to the right... Agreed that injuries may have played a part, but the line never showed any cohesion, even late in the year
Lack of talent will make an OL look like that.