Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Forget the rd,

Do you actually think a guy from Bucknell will be able to contribute next season at a starters level in the NFL? Give me a sip of that Kool-Aid.
ok if I email that Koolaide to you? I do think Davenport can start sometime during the season. My guess is he will get snaps behind Clark for few games taking over at some point unless Clark is much better 2017 than we've seen. A dark horse for me is Walker.

From August 2015
The regression of Barclay coupled with the ascension of Josh Walker leaves Walker in position to be the first man in at four positions, if he can play as well in the last two exhibition games as he did in the first two.In his 75 snaps (38 at right tackle, 34 at right guard and three at left tackle), Walker has been charged with no sacks, two hurries and one false-start penalty.
For the first time, Walker will be playing against defensive players who are starters. After an outstanding off-season and first four weeks of training camp, Walker's performance both at guard and, later in the game, at tackle will be compared in-house to Barclay's.
Last year, Walker (6 foot 5½, 326 pounds) was a rookie free agent with the Indianapolis Colts. He played a whopping 176 snaps in four exhibition games, almost all at guard, before being let go on the final cut.

"I was in one game with Matt Hasselbeck and he says, 'You're at left tackle,'" Walker said. "I hadn't taken tackle reps since 2006, probably. They kind of just tossed me out there."
Despite his height and long arms (343/8 inches), Walker played strictly guard at Middle Tennessee State as a three-year starter.

"We just didn't have any big guys to stick inside," he said. "We had taller, lanky guys. So we put them on the outside and ran power (running plays) to my side every time."

Walker ran a competitive 40-yard dash (5.25 seconds) and posted a solid score of 24 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. The only thing that didn't compute at his pro day was hands that measured a tiny 87/8 inches.
Walker took over for Bryan Bulaga at right tackle late in the second quarter in Pittsburgh and spent the next 20 plays matched against former Kentucky outside linebacker Bud Dupree (6-4, 269), an athletic phenom with a 4.61 40 and a 42-inch vertical jump who was drafted with the 22nd pick in April.Dupree emptied his arsenal on 17 pass plays, settled for one hurry and appeared somewhat frustrated. Walker kept shoving his edge rushes wide of Scott Tolzien. He also blotted out Dupree on a bull rush, adjusted nicely to handle a slashing inside charge and passed off an end-tackle stunt as if it was second nature.Just seven of Walker's 30 snaps were running plays but he made the most of them. There is video of him displacing two linemen on the goal line, combo-blocking easily to the linebacker level and displaying some nasty working to finish.
rest of article http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...-offensive-lineman-b99565345z1-323174301.html

Indianapolis Colts[edit]
After going undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, Walker signed with the Indianapolis Colts on May 11, 2014.[2] On August 30, 2014, he was waived.[3] Walker was signed to the Colts' practice squad the following day.[4] On September 16, 2014, he was released from the Colts' practice squad.[5]

Green Bay Packers[edit]
On September 23, 2014, Walker was signed to the Green Bay Packers' practice squad,[6] where he spent the rest of his rookie season.[7] He was re-signed by the Packers after the season ended on January 20, 2015.[8]

In his second season, Walker played in 13 games at right guard, right tackle, and on special teams.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Walker_(American_football)
OK this is the journeyman OLineman that STB is apparently talking about and who am I to say, he might be on to something.
Could be the Texans liked him better than any other rookie OTs who was on their Board for value, besides JD the Buckell tackle we drafted in the 4th.
These guys sometime are late bloomers, remember Mike Breisel who eventualy turned out to be a stellar NFLOlineman

patrick

✔@PatDStat

#Texans sign free agent RT Breno Giacomini.

3:02 PM - 16 May 2017

The Jets’ offensive line (20th in pass-blocking, 28th in run-blocking) struggled immensely in 2015, especially on the outside. Their starting tackles, D’Brickashaw Ferguson (ranked 62nd of 76 OTs) and Breno Giacomini (ranked 69th), had replacement-level seasons. They were, arguably, the least effective duo of OTs in the NFL. In the passing game, Ferguson and Giacomini were dominated by edge rushers nearly every week (ranking 50th and 39th in pass-blocking efficiency among 59 OTs, respectively). Unfortunately, they weren’t much better blocking the run—running outside these tackles yielded only 2.8 yards per carry.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-offseason-to-do-list-for-the-new-york-jets/

Well that's encouraging reading :gun:
Here's more:

Giacomini, 31, signed with the Jets as a free agent in 2014 and has been their starting right tackle since. But his production has declined over the years. In his first season with the Jets, Giacomini finished with a PFF rating of 74.9. In 2015, he had a grade of 41, and in 2016 44.3.

Injuries took a toll on Giacomini last year. An offseason back injury landed him on the physically unable to perform list. Giacomini returned, played in five games, then re-injured his back. The Jets put him on the season-ending injured reserve on Dec. 13.

Giacomini said after the year he'd have offseason back surgery. He expects to be ready by the start of training camp.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/02/jets_cut_tackle_breno_giacomini_per_report.html

Why not just sign someone like Ryan Clady, who at least played at a pro bowl level at one point in his career.

Clady has never played RT. Giac at least started multiple seasons at the position.

Not sure if he'll be much of an upgrade over Clark/Davenport with his injury history but he's the best RT option on the market.

The Texans have signed veteran offensive tackle Breno Giacomini. We're going to have a whole gaggle of back patients.............He sustained a low back injury early last preseason, starting the season on the physically unable to perform list trying to rehab his back. He was activated in October, and after only playing less than 5 games, sustained a significant re-injury of his back.........He was then placed on IR in December........and finally underwent a lumbar microdiscectomy the first week in January of this year. He was quickly released by the Jets in February.

Am placing this post in the INJURY THREAD also for referencing purposes................with additional injury info on Giacomini.

Last edited:
Maybe his signing is to help with the mentoring of Davenport during the off-season and Pre-Season. Instead of "C" Captain patches on their jerseys, maybe we can identify our injured players with the Red "+" patch so opposing teams will take it easy on our less than healthy players.
yeah cool..so Brown, Martin, Allen and since Newton was reported (yesterday 610 radio) walking around he could suit up as right tackle and none of them could be touched!!

yeah cool..so Brown, Martin, Allen and since Newton was reported (yesterday 610 radio) walking around he could suit up as right tackle and none of them could be touched!!

No, I didn't say play the Walking Dead...Newton, only the one's who can suit up and walk onto the field should get the Red Cross patches.

Hell, Newton was horrible before he blew out his knee...any chance he could get struck by lightening and it would have the same reversing effects like a shock did to Roy Oswald? Car battery versus Mother Nature, just basing the jolt needs on BMI.

Have yall talked Kouandijo yet?

How bad is his leg injury? Even if this guy is a little crazy I think we should bring this guy in if he's healthy enough to play football. Bills just cut him yesterday. He's young and has upside.

Him, Clady, or Dumblap.

Are we really going to roll into the season with the tackles we currently have on the roster and act like there isn't an issue?

How bad is his leg injury? Even if this guy is a little crazy I think we should bring this guy in if he's healthy enough to play football. Bills just cut him yesterday. He's young and has upside.

Him, Clady, or Dumblap.

Are we really going to roll into the season with the tackles we currently have on the roster and act like there isn't an issue?

Seem like Cyrus Kouandijo has other issues going on in his life.

Bills' Cyrus Kouandjio involved in bizarre incident with police
http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/kouandjio-involved-bizarre-incident-police/

Kouandjio was found in a T-shirt without pants, but wearing underwear, wandering in a field after climbing over an electric fence, authorities said. When an Erie County Sheriff's deputy went to detain him, a police source said that the 6-foot-7, 322-pound Kouandjio yelled, "Shoot me!"

The football player initially parked his vehicle on the shoulder of the northbound lanes of the 400 and climbed over a guardrail to gain access to a farmer's field in the vicinity of Rice Road and Dellwood Drive, a second police source said, adding: "He was acting real confused, but he was no threat. Patrol deputies determined he was Cyrus Kouandjio."

A farmer called 911 at about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday to report there was "large man" roaming around one of his fields.

That section of the 400 had been closed for about 12 hours following a serious two-vehicle collision at 10:23 p.m. Tuesday. The roadway reopened at 10 a.m. Wednesday, some 30 minutes after several deputies responded to the 911 call involving Kouandjio.

Seem like Cyrus Kouandijo has other issues going on in his life.

Bills' Cyrus Kouandjio involved in bizarre incident with police
http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/kouandjio-involved-bizarre-incident-police/

I said a little crazy. That doesn't seem that bad to me. He was complicit and responsive to offers and they didn't even arrest him. Just a sad guy walking around shirtless in a field, maybe a bit of drugs but he hasn't failed a test yet from what I'm aware of.

That's going to be a massive no from me on Kouandjio, unless it is for the league minimum with no money guaranteed.

First, he had a bad surgery on a double ACL/MCL tear in college. Then he suffered cartilage damage and was diagnosed with an arthritic knee. He failed multiple team physicals at the combine.

He has fantastic size and length. He has a great pedigree. But his tape in college was inconsistent. He was never a good pass blocker. He has bad feet, bad hands, and zero athleticism. He's a pure power guy that gets by on length and size alone.

Despite being a 2nd round pick, he was beat out for the RT job by 7th round pick Seantrel Henderson. They tried him at RG in practice but he couldn't win that job either. He ended up only seeing the field in one game.

In his second year, he was beat out again at RT by Seantrel Henderson, who was rated by PFF as the worst RT in football. He started 2 games after Henderson was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease.

In his third year, he was beat out at RT by Jordan Mills, who had been picked up from Detroit's practice squad and was on his fourth team in three years. Due to injuries, he did end up starting the final five games of the season. The only extended action the Bills ever saw of him. Then they cut him.

Then in January, he required hip surgery for an injury he suffered at home.

Long story short, no thanks.

Him, Clady, or Dumblap.

Besides his "crazy," and BAH007's info, he fell at home on the floor and sustained a hip not a leg injury. It required hip labrum surgery the very end of this past January. Recovery would be expected to take ~6 months, possibly more in a huge offensive lineman. If he underwent a debridement of the labrum instead of a repair of the labrum, it could be a somewhat shorter recovery..........but with a return to play rate of only 60% instead of 85-90%...........impact on performance if he returns would still not be entirely predictable. He is unlikely to be of any value this year if ever.

Sounds like Kouandijo has more injuries than our currently injured RT. Looking at the FA Tackles, they're all full of injuries. We could sign Ryan Clady, Austin Pasztor, King Dunlap and meld them into one but with our luck we'd end up with all their injuries and none of the talent.

Him, Clady, or Dumblap.

I would sign Dunlap

Ricky wont

To answer your question, apparently

Kinda sad isn't it, especially after the OL play we saw last yr.

I said a little crazy. That doesn't seem that bad to me. He was complicit and responsive to offers and they didn't even arrest him. Just a sad guy walking around shirtless in a field, maybe a bit of drugs but he hasn't failed a test yet from what I'm aware of.
to clarify he was pantless not shirtless. This is why moms tell us to wear clean underwear if we are going to wander around in the woods. I agree with Bah007 this guy and his brother look the part but both had bad wheels. IIRC they had a younger brother who also had some physical issues.

The Texans have signed veteran right offensive tackle Breno Giacomini. We're going to have a whole gaggle of back patients.............He sustained a low back injury early last preseason, starting the season on the physically unable to perform list trying to rehab his back. He was activated in October, and after only playing less than 5 games, sustained a significant re-injury of his back.........He was then placed on IR in December........and finally underwent a lumbar microdiscectomy the first week in January of this year. He was quickly released by the Jets in February.

Besides the above, be aware that he was also limited last year by a shoulder problem, and has already undergone knee surgery to repair ligament and cartilage damage........ and RIGHT elbow surgery, as he was probably signed to take the right tackle position, not a great endorsement. The most common elbow injury to a right tackle is a right ulnar collateral ligament tear (the ligament running along and stabilizing the inside of the elbow joint), which usually occurs when the arm is outstretched to the right to contain an outside rusher. In addition, it has been reported in some of the Jets reports that he has been a liability for years. He signed with the Jets as a free agent in 2014 and has been their starting right tackle since. But his production has declined over the years. In his first season with the Jets, Giacomini finished with a ProFootballFocus rating of 74.9. In 2015, he had a grade of 41, and in 2016 44.3............I'm so excited! He could surprise us and turn out to be a little better than a Derek Newton that tried to play this year.
I would sign Dunlap

Ricky wont

To answer your question, apparently

Kinda sad isn't it, especially after the OL play we saw last yr.

I'm not sure that Dunlap is a good "gamble." His is uber injured. In the past 2 years, he has suffered neck, knee and chronic high-ankle issues. He has missed 13 games over the last two years and has suffered three concussions since 2013. But if this is not enough to discourage, although he seems to be a good run blocker, he has had the reputation as a very poor pass protector.........something that the Texans need in their tackle in the worst way.

I'm not sure that Dunlap is a good "gamble." His is uber injured. In the past 2 years, he has suffered neck, knee and chronic high-ankle issues. He has missed 13 games over the last two years and has suffered three concussions since 2013. But if this is not enough to discourage, although he seems to be a good run blocker, he has had the reputation as a very poor pass protector.........something that the Texans need in their tackle in the worst way.

Beggars can't be choosers at this point. He would be an upgrade for 10 or so games he would play

The guys that are free agent tackles aren't going to break the bank.

Just sign a bunch of them and get however many games you can from them. All of them want to prove they can stay healthy and earn 1 final contract. I'd love them all to prove it with us this year until we finally address the issue the correct way in the draft with a capable talent or spend some real $$ in free agency.

We are all happy to have Nick Martin back. I know that we don't want to think about this, but based on the fact that last year coming off of recent back surgery, then requiring high ankle surgery for injury incurred early in TC, and virtually no real game track record, we really have no idea how he will actually perform. We would like to believe that he can be plugged this year and immediately become a significant upgrade to our OL..........but in reality, it cannot be considered a given. We will only find out when the regular season is well underway.

We are all happy to have Nick Martin back. I know that we don't want to think about this, but based on the fact that last year coming off of recent back surgery, then requiring high ankle surgery for injury incurred early in TC, and virtually no real game track record, we really have no idea how he will actually perform. We would like to believe that he can be plugged this year and immediately become a significant upgrade to our OL..........but in reality, it cannot be considered a given. We will only find out when the regular season is well underway.

You're always a little ray of sunshine on the day.

Beggars can't be choosers at this point. He would be an upgrade for 10 or so games he would play
The Texans aren't necessarily beggars at this point. They may feel that they have options that are better than there are on the FA market. Smith has a good track record with late round picks and UDFAs. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

The Texans aren't necessarily beggars at this point. They may feel that they have options that are better than there are on the FA market. Smith has a good track record with late round picks and UDFAs. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

If they're counting on Lamm then they're up a creek without a paddle.

Beno isn't the same player he was before injury.

Clark is what we saw last yr.

Newton- will never play another down.

What are you seeing that I'm not ?

True.

The important thing right now, is what kind of shape is he in? Is he heavy? Light? Strong? How's his endurance?

If he's good there, that's about all we can hope for right now.

There will be offensive lines in the NFL with worse lines than ours. Seattle comes to mind. Denver most likely. & if Jj, Mercilus, & Clowney do what we hope they do, every line we'll face will struggle protecting their QB more than we will.

There will be offensive lines in the NFL with worse lines than ours. Seattle comes to mind. Denver most likely. & if Jj, Mercilus, & Clowney do what we hope they do, every line we'll face will struggle protecting their QB more than we will.

I'm thinking that even by this board's over-critical eye that the line will appear much improved with a hopefully healthy Allen

Atleast Denver invested in their OL in the draft/FA.

Ricky decided to not even participate in FA.

Okung's performance with Denver would be generously described as mediocre (and particularly poor in pass protection), and nowhere close to his pre-injury level........a significant reason why Denver was not willing to pick up his second year option. He was picked up by a truly desperate Chargers team earlier this year for a huge and ridiculous contract. The Chargers will regret their move.

I posted this March last year when discussing attaining an OT.

Okung????

2010 2nd preseason game suffered high ankle sprain........missed rest of preseason and the first 3 weeks of the season
2010 week 7 recurrent high ankle sprain......missed another 3 games

2011 missed preseason with recurrent high ankle sprain
2011 week 13 right pectoral tendon rupture IRed

2012 week 2 knee bone bruise injury missed one game

2013 week 2 turf toe (plantar plate of the foot rupture) IRDR missed 8 games

2014 offseason turf toe surgery
2014 torn shoulder labrum, would have missed 1 week except the following week was the bye week
2014 week 8 calf strain, missed 1 game
2014 week 15 beginning of game chest trauma bruised lung with coughing up blood missed 1 week

2015 week 3 shoulder labrum injury, missed 1 week
2015 week 7 turf toe recurrent injury........then later in the following a practice that week, ankle and calf injury.....missed 1 week.......would ........have been 2 weeks if it were not for the Bye
2015 week 15 calf injury missed 2 weeks

2016 2nd playoff game in Jan shoulder dislocation/ extended labrum tear from 3rd week in 2014
2016 February shoulder surgery (at least a 6 month rehab)

You're always a little ray of sunshine on the day.
Don't you know Doc is president of the Sunshine Club
footer-logo.png

You WILL be positive or he'll whack some sense into you with his Mighty Wrench of Truth.
LOL

I am.

But when you dont invest you can expect subpar results.

Kinda like when you dont study for an exam you may get lucky and get an A. But more likely you will get an F.

But... the Broncos invested & their OL was subpar in 2016. According to you, our "investments" didn't pan out & our OL was better than theirs.

We didn't draft a tackle until the 4th, we didn't draft an inside OL until the 7th. We didn't sign an FAOL until last week. & you say we didn't invest.

Never mind Julie'n Davenport may be the most physically gifted OT in the whole draft. Never mind Kyle Fuller was one of the five Centers you liked in this draft. & never mind Giacomini's best season was the only season he was coached by Mike Devlin.... who happens to now be our OL coach.

But we didn't invest.

kirk1.gif

But... the Broncos invested & their OL was subpar in 2016. According to you, our "investments" didn't pan out & our OL was better than theirs.

We didn't draft a tackle until the 4th, we didn't draft an inside OL until the 7th. We didn't sign an FAOL until last week. & you say we didn't invest.

Never mind Julie'n Davenport may be the most physically gifted OT in the whole draft. Never mind Kyle Fuller was one of the five Centers you liked in this draft. & never mind Giacomini's best season was the only season he was coached by Mike Devlin.... who happens to now be our OL coach.

But we didn't invest.

kirk1.gif

Davenport isn't ready, playing at Bucknell will do that.

I do like Fuller

Beno hasn't been healthy since the yr you are talking about. Read CND's posts about his health prospects.

Denver's investments this offseason.

Leary- Starting LG at Dallas
Watson- Starting RT until injured, I really dont like this signing, but atleast Elway made an effort.

Bolles- Most talented OL in the draft, 1st rd pick.

If you cant see the difference then we have different opinions on the investments that Denver/Houston made this offseason.

If you cant see the difference then we have different opinions on the investments that Denver/Houston made this offseason.

Again, the point is our 2016 investment didn't look as impressive as Denver's yet we got better results.

It's just as likely our 2017 investment, though modest when compared to Denver's may result in better returns.

It would be like the Texans making a modest investment in some fruit company in 1986 & Denver buying 10,000 shares of Lehman Bros in 2007.

Davenport isn't ready, playing at Bucknell will do that.

I do like Fuller

Beno hasn't been healthy since the yr you are talking about. Read CND's posts about his health prospects.

Denver's investments this offseason.

Leary- Starting LG at Dallas
Watson- Starting RT until injured, I really dont like this signing, but atleast Elway made an effort.

Bolles- Most talented OL in the draft, 1st rd pick.

Watson is a similar level player to Clark.

Leary was a backup until injury allowed him to start in between arguably the best LT/C in the NFL. And when he has played in the past before he lost his starting LG job (then won back due to injury) he has been often injured himself.

Bolles is a good OL prospect but he's still a rookie that has his warts.

Long story short... Texans will again have a better OL than Denver this season.

We are def beggars. There is def better options out there than what we have in house. Having confidence in an organization with this organization's track record of ignoring glaring holes and just having faith is just not a mindset I can get behind.

I will go to the games and when our QB is unnecessarily sacked hard and slow to get up I'm gonna boo as hard as I can, seeing as how I have no other voice.

This line as constructed is going to be our demise. I just pray it doesn't turn Watson into David Carr 2 when he's always looking over his shoulder looking for ghosts instead of looking downfield.

Smith isn't the guy finding the obscure talent that went undrafted. He's handed a list and he calls them into camp.

I feel like we are consistently terrible for Rick Smith's GM tenure with late round picks though.

These are all just my opinions though and I get everyone has them, so to each their own.

All I'm doing is coming to a conclusion based on the teams activity in FA and the draft. I guess I'm seeing a team that appears to be more comfortable with, and confident in, the players they already have than a majority of us fans are.

We are def beggars. There is def better options out there than what we have in house. Having confidence in an organization with this organization's track record of ignoring glaring holes and just having faith is just not a mindset I can get behind.

I will go to the games and when our QB is unnecessarily sacked hard and slow to get up I'm gonna boo as hard as I can, seeing as how I have no other voice.

This line as constructed is going to be our demise. I just pray it doesn't turn Watson into David Carr 2 when he's always looking over his shoulder looking for ghosts instead of looking downfield.

Smith isn't the guy finding the obscure talent that went undrafted. He's handed a list and he calls them into camp.

I feel like we are consistently terrible for Rick Smith's GM tenure with late round picks though.

These are all just my opinions though and I get everyone has them, so to each their own.
Name some of these "def better options". The sit back and watch CnD shoot them down for injury histories and/or poor recent performances.

Watson is a similar level player to Clark.

Leary was a backup until injury allowed him to start in between arguably the best LT/C in the NFL. And when he has played in the past before he lost his starting LG job (then won back due to injury) he has been often injured himself.

Bolles is a good OL prospect but he's still a rookie that has his warts.

Long story short... Texans will again have a better OL than Denver this season.
Bolles has some potential but the floor is also way, way down there for him and he's kinda got a similar issue that our guy Davenport has which is extremely limited experience.
Here's the thing - Davenport as a fourth rounder is a far better value and risk than Bolles is in the first round.
I've read a lot of coverage of the pick in the Denver Post and Elway's decision to use the Broncos first round pick on the 25 year old rookie is very controversial in Denver.

Again, the point is our 2016 investment didn't look as impressive as Denver's yet we got better results.

It's just as likely our 2017 investment, though modest when compared to Denver's may result in better returns.

It would be like the Texans making a modest investment in some fruit company in 1986 & Denver buying 10,000 shares of Lehman Bros in 2007.

I've found in my life you usually get what you pay for.

Back