Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Again, the point is our 2016 investment didn't look as impressive as Denver's yet we got better results.

It's just as likely our 2017 investment, though modest when compared to Denver's may result in better returns.

It would be like the Texans making a modest investment in some fruit company in 1986 & Denver buying 10,000 shares of Lehman Bros in 2007.

I've found in my life you usually get what you pay for.
Bolles has some potential but the floor is also way, way down there for him and he's kinda got a similar issue that our guy Davenport has which is extremely limited experience.
Here's the thing - Davenport as a fourth rounder is a far better value and risk than Bolles is in the first round.
I've read a lot of coverage of the pick in the Denver Post and Elway's decision to use the Broncos first round pick on the 25 year old rookie is very controversial in Denver.

Yep, a 4th rder from Bucknell is just as good as a 1st rder from Utah next yr. Makes perfect sense to me. BTW, Bolles was the most athletic OT in the draft and plays with a mean streak. Something that cant be said about Davenport. The best that can be said about Davenport is that he has long arms. He needs to develop strength and learn how to keep DE's from getting into his chest.

Davenport has ability, but he's got a long way to go. Devlin has his hands full.

We paid what, 37 million for a QB?.... 37 million sure doesn't buy what it used to.

You are just all over the place, you damn the Texans if they spend money, and you damn them if they don't. I think we can all agree on one thing... doesn't really matter what the Texans do or don't do - you will complain about it.

At least you're consistent :D

Yep, a 4th rder from Bucknell is just as good as a 1st rder from Utah next yr. Makes perfect sense to me. BTW, Bolles was the most athletic OT in the draft and plays with a mean streak. Something that cant be said about Davenport. The best that can be said about Davenport is that he has long arms. He needs to develop strength and learn how to keep DE's from getting into his chest.

Davenport has ability, but he's got a long way to go. Devlin has his hands full.
Both OTs have a long way to go but Bolles is an old man for an NFL rook at 25 while Davenport is 3 years younger than him and I don't mean to be cruel but Bolles is dense as a fence post while our guy was an excellent student, a two time captain of his college team while Bolles also has some serious off field issues. Oh yea we got a much better value. Lot of pro scouts had Bolles rated a second to third round value.
The Texans and the Broncos should have drafted OT in last years Draft, a very good Draft for OTs, as our division compitetor Tennessee did which is now putting together arguably the best Oline in the league with it's two young bookend OTs.

We are def beggars. There is def better options out there than what we have in house. Having confidence in an organization with this organization's track record of ignoring glaring holes and just having faith is just not a mindset I can get behind.

I will go to the games and when our QB is unnecessarily sacked hard and slow to get up I'm gonna boo as hard as I can, seeing as how I have no other voice.

This line as constructed is going to be our demise. I just pray it doesn't turn Watson into David Carr 2 when he's always looking over his shoulder looking for ghosts instead of looking downfield.

Smith isn't the guy finding the obscure talent that went undrafted. He's handed a list and he calls them into camp.

I feel like we are consistently terrible for Rick Smith's GM tenure with late round picks though.

These are all just my opinions though and I get everyone has them, so to each their own.
our QB Watson was unnecessarily sacked hard and slow to get up many times at Clemson and led that team to championship game twice winning once....just saying. Many including me think Smith is really good at signing obscure talent. I suggest you spend bit of time with roster...you might want to begin with udfa starting center Greg Manz. Throw in his day 3 draft picks and Smith looks even better.

Remember a guy named AJ Bouye udfa who had 2 great years for Texans signing recently for $67.5m? TE Ryan Griffin 6th round four year vet who just re-signed for three years? RT Derek Newton 7th rounder, 6 year vet and starter.

our QB Watson was unnecessarily sacked hard and slow to get up many times at Clemson and led that team to championship game twice winning once....just saying. Many including me think Smith is really good at signing obscure talent. I suggest you spend bit of time with roster...you might want to begin with udfa starting center Greg Manz. Throw in his day 3 draft picks and Smith looks even better.

Remember a guy named AJ Bouye udfa who had 2 great years for Texans signing recently for $67.5m? TE Ryan Griffin 6th round four year vet who just re-signed for three years? RT Derek Newton 7th rounder, 6 year vet and starter.

Toss in A. Foster. What a find.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Lamm...small school guy with solid upside as an UDFA. Doesn't this sound about like Mancz? Mancz finally got his feet wet and put together a better than expected season, enough so that I would really hope he holds on to the C1 job while Martin makes his mark as RG1.

If Lamm earns the RT1 job, then he just might be a position to have a Mancz type of season. It would be a young right side but maybe they hold their own.

It would really be unexpected if Allen shows up and looks like his old KC self and snatches the RT1 job. This could really turn around this OL situation. I'm not thinking Cowboys type OL but a serviceable OL that goes 10-12 spots over last seasons unit. This advancement alone could be worth 2 extra wins over last season.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Lamm...small school guy with solid upside as an UDFA. Doesn't this sound about like Mancz? Mancz finally got his feet wet and put together a better than expected season, enough so that I would really hope he holds on to the C1 job while Martin makes his mark as RG1.

If Lamm earns the RT1 job, then he just might be a position to have a Mancz type of season. It would be a young right side but maybe they hold their own.

It would really be unexpected if Allen shows up and looks like his old KC self and snatches the RT1 job. This could really turn around this OL situation. I'm not thinking Cowboys type OL but a serviceable OL that goes 10-12 spots over last seasons unit. This advancement alone could be worth 2 extra wins over last season.
I have read that Texans like Lamm..hope they are correct. I'd prefer Davenport to study left side for now to reduce and confusion. I hope Brown lasts all season but...

Allen played LG throughout his hay day with the Chiefs. In his rookie 2012 year, he was worked at LG. The first time he was tried at RT in the 2013 preseason, he sustained a severe right shoulder injury. When he came back, he returned to LG. The next time he was just tried one more time at RT (because of injury to the Chiefs regular RT) in 2014, he ruptured his biceps tendon at the elbow which required surgery and turfed his entire season. Evidently each time he attempted RT, while trying to contain the outside rush with his right arm, his technique/anatomy could not hold up to the torque. He is an inside player most comfortable on the left side, but given the experience last season he should hopefully be able to strengthen his transition to the RG position this upcoming season.

A line composed of a 1st round and 3 2nd round picks doesn't scream lack of investment. The doom and gloom here is overstated to say the least, this line was average last year missing Martin and with Allen hobbled. If even one of these players steps up, there will be improvement. Not to mention having Lamm/Giacomini to compete at RT. It's far too early to surmise that the Oline will take a turn for the worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm giv8ng you examples where that isn't the case. The Texans have gotten more from their modest investments on the OL than Denver & their more impressive investments. Our results have been better than theirs. You said you're results oriented. Your arguments here are quite opposite.

We paid what, 37 million for a QB?.... 37 million sure doesn't buy what it used to.

You are just all over the place, you damn the Texans if they spend money, and you damn them if they don't. I think we can all agree on one thing... doesn't really matter what the Texans do or don't do - you will complain about it.

At least you're consistent :D

Obviously that was a euphemism and had nothing to do with spending $$$$.

Sorry you didn't get what I was saying.

A line composed of a 1st round and 3 2nd round picks doesn't scream lack of investment. The doom and gloom here is overstated to say the least, this line was average last year missing Martin and with Allen hobbled. If even one of these players steps up, there will be improvement. Not to mention having Lamm/Giacomini to compete at RT. It's far too early to surmise that the Oline will take a turn for the worse.

We have a different definition of the word average.

The OL wont take a turn for the worse because it cant be worse.

I'm giv8ng you examples where that isn't the case. The Texans have gotten more from their modest investments on the OL than Denver & their more impressive investments. Our results have been better than theirs. You said you're results oriented. Your arguments here are quite opposite.

Have they?

The right side of the OL last yr looked like they were shopping at everything's a buck.

Have they?

The right side of the OL last yr looked like they were shopping at everything's a buck.

By multiple assessments PFF, football outsiders and stats sacks allowed, YPC, rushing yards. They were essentially average. If you can take those and still conclude they can't get worse, I guess theres no point in further beleaguering the point.

By multiple assessments PFF, football outsiders and stats sacks allowed, YPC, rushing yards. They were essentially average. If you can take those and still conclude they can't get worse, I guess theres no point in further beleaguering the point.

There isn't.

Using my own eyes, what I saw was Clark/Allen were really bad. Even though the stats guys may say differently.

Have they?

So now were back to results. Because the investment on the right side was in the ball park of what you've been looking for. Allen, big FA signing. Newton also signed a fair extension with the Texans not that long ago.

You're upset that our FA signed swing tackle didn't play at a pro bowl level. Even though he played some good games (two against Kalil Mack) & was avg or slightly above over the course of the season.

Again, I agree more or less, just watching our OL there's room for improvement, especially on the right side. But comparing our line against the league, we're starting from a better position than 16 other teams. Not where we want to be, but definitely not a, "We're doomed" situation.

You needed to see a tackle drafted or signed in FA when there weren't a lot of good options. You wish we'd have taken the best of a poor class. & there's merit to that line of thinking.

However, there's merit to the Texans way of thinking as well. We've got Martin coming back, after Mancz proved he can play in this league. That gives us options. Allen may have very well struggled with injuries, Texans appear to be leaning that way.

& I'm just going by the fact that Kendall Lamm got a lot of playing time last season that they may think he's an option for 2017. Plus they signed, finally, a FA with history with our OL coach.

I don't know how it's going to work out, but I didn't see any good options. Definitely not better options than what the Texans went with.

Surely you're going to sound the alarm every time our OL gets stuffed on a run, or every time they give up a sack. As if you expect them to be perfect. But this is the NFL. Defenses are going to get theirs. Except Kalil Mack going against Clark in the playoffs.

Last edited:
There isn't.

Using my own eyes, what I saw was Clark/Allen were really bad. Even though the stats guys may say differently.

According to those "stat guys" were the OTs signed this off-season better or worse than Clark? If better, how much better?

As far as Allen goes, what do you think about replacing him with either Mancz or Martin?

According to those "stat guys" were the OTs signed this off-season better or worse than Clark? If better, how much better?

As far as Allen goes, what do you think about replacing him with either Mancz or Martin?
I would seriously consider putting Allen at LG where, as CnD has repeatedly pointed out, he had his best years with the Cheifs and seeing how Mancz does at RG. Let Lamm, Davenport and the FA signing battle it out at RT. I'm also on board with making Davenport Brown's backup so there's an heir-apparent for when Brown hangs up his cleats. That's assuming Davenport has the ability to play LT at the NFL level.

So now were back to results. Because the investment on the right side was in the ball park of what you've been looking for. Allen, big FA signing. Newton also signed a fair extension with the Texans not that long ago.

You're upset that our FA signed swing tackle didn't play at a pro bowl level. Even though he played some good games (two against Kalil Mack) & was avg or slightly above over the course of the season.

Again, I agree more or less, just watching our OL there's room for improvement, especially on the right side. But comparing our line against the league, we're starting from a better position than 16 other teams. Not where we want to be, but definitely not a, "We're doomed" situation.

You needed to see a tackle drafted or signed in FA when there weren't a lot of good options. You wish we'd have taken the best of a poor class. & there's merit to that line of thinking.

However, there's merit to the Texans way of thinking as well. We've got Martin coming back, after Mancz proved he can play in this league. That gives us options. Allen may have very well struggled with injuries, Texans appear to be leaning that way.

& I'm just going by the fact that Kendall Lamm got a lot of playing time last season that they may think he's an option for 2017. Plus they signed, finally, a FA with history with our OL coach.

I don't know how it's going to work out, but I didn't see any good options. Definitely not better options than what the Texans went with.

Surely you're going to sound the alarm every time our OL gets stuffed on a run, or every time they give up a sack. As if you expect them to be perfect. But this is the NFL. Defenses are going to get theirs. Except Kalil Mack going against Clark in the playoffs.

We will see which philosophy has more merit.

I'm not upset about anything. But Ricky McNair chose not to participate in FA. (Unlike 31 other teams) It's like he's either 1. not trying to put the best product possible on the field. 2. Trying his best to get his HC fired.

Glad to see your happy with this offseason. # Predictable.

And no, I wont expect the OL to be perfect next yr. But I do hope they improve redzone efficiency, even though they did the bare minimum to even try to fix the OL this offseason.

I would seriously consider putting Allen at LG where, as CnD has repeatedly pointed out, he had his best years with the Cheifs and seeing how Mancz does at RG. Let Lamm, Davenport and the FA signing battle it out at RT. I'm also on board with making Davenport Brown's backup so there's an heir-apparent for when Brown hangs up his cleats. That's assuming Davenport has the ability to play LT at the NFL level.

They will figure it out, that's why they're paid the big bucks. All we need is a healthy Oline and we should see a vast improvement from last season.

They will figure it out, that's why they're paid the big bucks. All we need is a healthy Oline and we should see a vast improvement from last season.

I'm not upset about anything. But Ricky McNair chose not to participate in FA. (Unlike 31 other teams) It's like he's either 1. not trying to put the best product possible on the field. 2. Trying his best to get his HC fired.

And no, I wont expect the OL to be perfect next yr. But I do hope they improve redzone efficiency, even though they did the bare minimum to even try to fix the OL this offseason.

Awww here we go again.

Awww here we go again.

Tell me what they did that will improve the team NEXT season?

The kicker is that they had the cap room to add anything they wanted in FA after the Os trade.

I'm neither happy or upset with the offseason. I'm just a spectator. It is what it is. I have no control.

The Texans decided to take another stab at "fixing" the most important position on the field, while allowing previous OL efforts marinate.

We'll see how it works out.

I'm neither happy or upset with the offseason. I'm just a spectator. It is what it is. I have no control.

The Texans decided to take another stab at "fixing" the most important position on the field, while allowing previous OL efforts marinate.

We'll see how it works out.

OL relies on chemistry and "gelling" as a unit more than any other part of the team. Wonder how we would have done had Chris Myers been shipped out of town his first season as a starter? Doubt whoever we got to replaced him would have done as well.

Sometimes the best thing to do is rely on your coaches and talent to shine through. Our Oline was banged up last season. We have a 1st and three 2nd round picks on the line. Let them figure out how to play together instead of just throwing a new body in the mix just for the sake of change!

OL relies on chemistry and "gelling" as a unit more than any other part of the team. Wonder how we would have done had Chris Myers been shipped out of town his first season as a starter? Doubt whoever we got to replaced him would have done as well.

Sometimes the best thing to do is rely on your coaches and talent to shine through. Our Oline was banged up last season. We have a 1st and three 2nd round picks on the line. Let them figure out how to play together instead of just throwing a new body in the mix just for the sake of change!

Spot on TheRealJokers

I agree. I think Mancz & Clark are a testament to the quality of depth this team has been able to acquire... Clark having played 4 games on the left side, then 7 on the right.

He may not be a starter in this league, but he's not far behind.

I agree. I think Mancz & Clark are a testament to the quality of depth this team has been able to acquire... Clark having played 4 games on the left side, then 7 on the right.

He may not be a starter in this league, but he's not far behind.
Last season, Clark was a turnstile at RT. Now he is coming off of that same ole "shoulder cleanup" that Cushing is sharing (both operated upon already ~4 1/2 months ago).......and like Cushing is watching OTAs from the sideline. The side that Chris's surgery was performed on has not been identified (although it is probable that it was his turnstile side), but it is pretty safe to say that the operated side will be affected this season.

If Davenport can't play RT then he can't play LT which is the more demanding position of the two therefor he should begin his NFL career on the right side where we have an immediate need, who knows maybe we get lucky because he turns out to be a precocious NFL rookie.

If Davenport can't play RT then he can't play LT which is the more demanding position of the two therefor he should begin his NFL career on the right side where we have an immediate need, who knows maybe we get lucky because he turns out to be a precocious NFL rookie.
I'm not a big fan of teaching a player one position then expect him to be ready to play one that is totally opposite of the 1st position. RT and LT aren't interchangeable, imo. If Davenport is the best option to play RT, then so be it. Play him there. The Texans can win a lot of games with better OL play on the right side.

Last season, Clark was a turnstile at RT.

Turnstile may be a little harsh. Again, I don't believe he's a starter. That he played as much as he did last year, was totally due to injury & not the Texans plan going into the season.

If he's playing with the first team come training camp I'll be scratching my head just like you.

But I don't have a problem carrying him on the depth chart.

I disagree. Davenport played every game in college at LT. Moving to RT might be accomplished but I'd rather him behind Brown getting work when possible to give DB some rest. I am hoping Walker gets some time RT but Lamm is who I am putting $ on for that position.

I disagree. Davenport played every game in college at LT. Moving to RT might be accomplished but I'd rather him behind Brown getting work when possible to give DB some rest. I am hoping Walker gets some time RT but Lamm is who I am putting $ on for that position.

IF he can play RT for the 1st time better than the rest of the depth chart of course you start him there. 2 starters, better OL is clearly better than some ideology of never confuse him.

Some players swap sides fairly easily. Some never can. It’s the job of coaches to figure that out in OTAs and TC.

IF he can play RT for the 1st time better than the rest of the depth chart of course you start him there. 2 starters, better OL is clearly better than some ideology of never confuse him.

Some players swap sides fairly easily. Some never can. It’s the job of coaches to figure that out in OTAs and TC.
Because of Davenports length and athleticism his "natural" position is probably LT while bulk and strength are more important for RTs which are traits that Davenport
needs to develop.
The thing is we have a LT on the roster now with All-Pro in his resume but the cupboards bare on the right side so necessity dictates that we try the Bucknell rookie on the right side in the beginning.

agree if he is better RT than others we must go with best.

I agree. With everyone.

He's got the build & athleticism of a LT, & if the Texans are thinking he'll be our LT of the future, that's great. Even if he turns out to be only a bridge, or our swing tackle of the future.

If he ends up playing on the right side... great. We need a RT.

I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I'm just not getting why fans on this MB have any faith in Lamm being the answer at RT.

So far Lamm's level of play suggests he's lucky to be playing in the NFL.

I'm just not getting why fans on this MB have any faith in Lamm being the answer at RT.

So far Lamm's level of play suggests he's lucky to be playing in the NFL.
It depends on what the meaning of "faith" and "answer" is.

Our options at RT is very limited, I believe only three - a rookie, Clark and Lamm. Between these three, he has a reasonable probability of winning out. Therefore he would be the "answer" - at least to start the season.

Who is saying Lamm is the long term answer at RT?

Turnstile may be a little harsh. Again, I don't believe he's a starter. That he played as much as he did last year, was totally due to injury & not the Texans plan going into the season.

If he's playing with the first team come training camp I'll be scratching my head just like you.

But I don't have a problem carrying him on the depth chart.

As a backup tackle Clark is about as good as you can ask for save for some young high potential guy waiting on his turn.

But as a career back up, I can't hate on Clark. He comes in, can play either side and can have long stretches of good play.

Of course, there are times when he looks like he's going to get the qb killed.....but if he didn't have those moments he'd probably be someone's starter.

Our options at RT is very limited, I believe only three - a rookie, Clark and Lamm. Between these three, he has a reasonable probability of winning out. Therefore he would be the "answer" - at least to start the season.

If you mean answer as in better than last season at RT (Which stunk) then you're fooling your self. Expect more of not being able to run the ball to the right side and the offense becoming very predictable. (Like last yr) Fact is the OL is the same as it was last yr, so other than Savage playing lights out and getting rid of the ball quickly (Not a strength of his) you can expect the offense to look alot like it did last yr. (That's all BOB's fault?)

Sad part is the 2018 draft is one of the deepest I can remember at QB/OT and the Texans of course dont pick until the 3rd rd. (Brilliant)

A Titans rookie OT last year was honored as an all-pro so just because Davenport is a rookie doesn't automatically mean he has no chance to contribute to the 2017 version of the Texans. No I'm in no way suggesting that Davenport will play anything approaching that level in '17 but he might actually help us, who knows at this point.
Don't forget to include Giacomini in the mix. I know it's a motley group but it's premature right now to conclude who will be our biggest contributor at RT, still could be somebody not on our roster right now.

Last year Lamm was scattered over the RT and RG positions, subbing Newton and Allen at various times. At these positions, he did not excite anyone except the opposition. His best utilization was as a "supplement" to the OL in the form of a jumbo blocking tight end. As an OLineman alone, he was very weak.

If you mean answer as in better than last season at RT (Which stunk) then you're fooling your self. Expect more of not being able to run the ball to the right side and the offense becoming very predictable. (Like last yr) Fact is the OL is the same as it was last yr, so other than Savage playing lights out and getting rid of the ball quickly (Not a strength of his) you can expect the offense to look alot like it did last yr. (That's all BOB's fault?)

Sad part is the 2018 draft is one of the deepest I can remember at QB/OT and the Texans of course dont pick until the 3rd rd. (Brilliant)

A Titans rookie OT last year was honored as an all-pro so just because Davenport is a rookie doesn't automatically mean he has no chance to contribute to the 2017 version of the Texans. No I'm in no way suggesting that Davenport will play anything approaching that level in '17 but he might actually help us, who knows at this point.
Don't forget to include Giacomini in the mix. I know it's a motley group but it's premature right now to conclude who will be our biggest contributor at RT, still could be somebody not on our roster right now.

I agree with the general idea behind both of your posts. Our OL may look pretty much the same as far as name go, but health may be a huge factor. I expect Allen to be improved and competition will be better. Martin coming back, X and Mancz having more experience.

Its much too early to get to excited, but no need to need to be eeyore either

If Allen plays better healthy, and both Martin and Mancz find their place in the interior line, is X on the outside looking in as far as starting goes? He just feels like the only one we are not talking about contributing more than they did last year.

Check your facts again..... 66 Martin, Nick C 6-4 300 Notre Dame

One of these things ( last years OL and this years OL ) is not like the other...Martin didn't play last year.

You and I are in agreement about a lot of things, but this is not one of them.

I think his presence, if he remains healthy, will improve things greatly. But health concerns plague all NFL teams.

I also expect Davenport to be a huge addition (improvement) to the quality of our depth this year. I don't care what university he went to.

My biggest concern this year is retaining Obrien..... so I suppose that is something else we don't see eye to eye on.

But when it comes to the godfather, I'll bring he feathers. :)

:coffee:

Back