Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

I haven't been on the MB much since the Draft due to work demands. Has there been any word how DQ is doing during OTA's? I know it may be hard to tell anything since it's only OTA's but I was just wondering if he has looked lost or winded, or if he's fitting right in and not falling behind. It would be great if he could make the team or at least the PS. Just curious if anybody has heard anything.

There are sparse reports that he is doing remarkably well. But you have to take this with a grain of salt, as there has yet to be any contact, nor any true competition against non-friendly warriors. Simply because of what he has gone through in the past couple of years, I expect that the Texans will do everything they can to allow him to see the field in the regular season...........even if it's only one game so that he can fulfill his dream of playing in the NFL.

I cant stand Lamm and I litterally know why.

He's not very good at his job.

If you took on a project OT... would you grade him on a curve over time, or do you give up on him after proving he wasn't among the best OTs in the draft?

I mean, if you pick up an undrafted prospect, are you just picking up a camp body, or are you picking players who could contribute/develop with the right training?

It sounded like "Q" could be another year away from being a serious contender. Hopefully he surprises everyone & sneaks into the rotation this year.

It sounded like "Q" could be another year away from being a serious contender. Hopefully he surprises everyone & sneaks into the rotation this year.
If we cannot get good contribution, he should be cut. He has pension and insurance and could get some lucrative commercials.

If we cannot get good contribution, he should be cut. He has pension and insurance and could get some lucrative commercials.

If he has a future with the team, I think they would stash him on IR or something to protect their investment rather than cutting him. Teams are good at finding mysterious ailments ....

That is assuming he is a year away and not never away.

I don't know what kind of treatment he's been on, or will continue to be on, but if they keep putting him on IR it's going to just get harder & harder for him to make the team.

He's been three years without playing football, that's also three years he can't practice with the team.

If you took on a project OT... would you grade him on a curve over time, or do you give up on him after proving he wasn't among the best OTs in the draft?

I mean, if you pick up an undrafted prospect, are you just picking up a camp body, or are you picking players who could contribute/develop with the right training?

This is a project they're wasting time on. IMHO

# Not very good at his job. Not going to improve enough to be a productive starter. Very poor mans Newton and Newton was bad except in his contract yr.

This is a project they're wasting time on. IMHO

# Not very good at his job. Not going to improve enough to be a productive starter. Very poor mans Newton and Newton was bad except in his contract yr.

Only time will tell. Not high on him either, but maybe someone sees more than I do. Haven't seen anything other than speculation for now

Only time will tell. Not high on him either, but maybe someone sees more than I do. Haven't seen anything other than speculation for now

True,

If Lamm becomes a serviceable backup that's a win. However after watching him I will really be surprised if he amounts to much.

Reactions: JB
I think he's too light in the seat to play a power RT

He has good feet but cant holdup to a bull rush.

Plus from what I can tell he's got troubles recognizing different things defenses are trying to do.

Lamm is a small school Appalachian State undrafted free agent starting his third year. Just how much time do you give a "project" coming into the NFL under these circumstances? My schedule says the third year is the year when you should begin to see some positive progress and production. The comment on weight is reasonable, but his listed weight is from last year.

What I want to see from Lamm, or from any of the prospects for that matter, is an improvement in play and production over last year. This would be a positive. From any of the prospects, I'd like to see some suggestion that we may have a long term answer at RT. Otherwise we'll have to look to the 2018 draft.

I haven't seen enough to say. I know he got a bunch of snaps at the end of the year, but usually as an extra lineman on running plays. I wasn't overly impressed or underwhelmed.

I think it says something that the Texans thought enough of him to put him in the game so much.

But I hadn't seen enough pass blocking situations to even comment on how good, or bad, he can be.

our QB Watson was unnecessarily sacked hard and slow to get up many times at Clemson and led that team to championship game twice winning once....just saying. Many including me think Smith is really good at signing obscure talent. I suggest you spend bit of time with roster...you might want to begin with udfa starting center Greg Manz. Throw in his day 3 draft picks and Smith looks even better.

Remember a guy named AJ Bouye udfa who had 2 great years for Texans signing recently for $67.5m? TE Ryan Griffin 6th round four year vet who just re-signed for three years? RT Derek Newton 7th rounder, 6 year vet and starter.

You didn't read what I said, no one that follows this organization is complaining about the interior O Line, and if you believe that Rick Smith found AJB we will just have to part ways in this discussion here.

Derek Newton sucked FYI. Just cause he got paid doesn't make it validation. It makes it an even worse mistake for me. 3 years of garbage. 1 year mediocre. Extension. Suck. End Career. Ryan Griffin lol. You hanging your hat on some abstract "talent". Come back with a Richard Sherman in the 5th and school me then.

Name some of these "def better options". The sit back and watch CnD shoot them down for injury histories and/or poor recent performances.

I named them many times, I don't intend to keep renaming every post I make. I quoted injury concern several times, and I also said things along the lines of "if you can get 6 games from B talent here, 6 games from C talent there, it's better than getting 16 games of D- talent".

Last edited:
You didn't read what I said, no one that follows this organization is complaining about the interior O Line, and if you believe that Rick Smith found AJB we will just have to part ways in this discussion here.

Derek Newton sucked FYI. Just cause he got paid doesn't make it validation. It makes it an even worse mistake for me. 3 years of garbage. 1 year mediocre. Extension. Suck. End Career. Ryan Griffin lol. You hanging your hat on some abstract "talent". Come back with a Richard Sherman in the 5th and school me then.

I named them many times, I don't intend to keep renaming every post I make. I quoted injury concern several times, and I also said things along the lines of "if you can get 6 games from B talent here, 6 games from C talent there, it's better than getting 16 games of D- talent".

While PFF isn't the end all, be all of player performance evaluation, I do give their opinion more weight than "Derek Newton sucks FYI". in 2014 and 2015 Newton was legitimately above average in his all around play, and specifically one of the best run blockers at RT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-derek-newton-hits-reservepup-expected-to-miss-2017/

Lions traded a 6th round pick for Greg Robinson and then signed Cyrus K. That's a team with a front office that isn't just willing to throw their hands in the air and hope for the best.

As for PFF, I'm a hypocrite. I constantly reference them when I don't know I'm talking about and use them as a resource and a defense for my arguments. But when I havew familiarity with subject matter at hand I often disagree with them. I just didn't see the same Derek Newton PFF did. Obviously they are the more capable judge of character than I am and everyone is entitled to say and believe whatever they want, but I saw a trash heap, mediocre, extension, mediocre at best (maybe slightly above suck) then career ender.

Look up Derek Newton mentions in this message board too. I wasn't the only one watching games screaming at Derek Newton.

Does PFF give him extra points for stripping the ball from his own teammates?

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/derek-newton-strip.109461/

RT almost always suck as a baseline, if they were better they would be LT and get the big bucks, look around the league, there are very few RT's that aren't deficient in some aspect of the game. Like I said if they were that good they would be playing left tackle somewhere. So putting that in perspective Newton's false starts and questionable pass pro probably put him somewhere at average or even better. That is more an indication of the state of RT's in this league than anything else.

Wow that Greg Robinson ! JD Clowney was the only player drafted higher in the 2014 Draft so Robinson obviously has turned out to be a gigantic bust if all the Rams wanted for Robinson was a 2018 sixth round pick.
If the Texans had a shot at this guy, clearly they thought even less of the 2nd overall pick in 2014 than the Lions did. If the Texans weren't aware that Robinson was going to be available, then we got a problem Houston, but I'm not sayin one way or the other 'cause I have no idea.

Wow that Greg Robinson ! JD Clowney was the only player drafted higher in the 2014 Draft so Robinson obviously has turned out to be a gigantic bust if all the Rams wanted for Robinson was a 2018 sixth round pick.
If the Texans had a shot at this guy, clearly they thought even less of the 2nd overall pick in 2014 than the Lions did. If the Texans weren't aware that Robinson was going to be available, then we got a problem Houston, but I'm not sayin one way or the other 'cause I have no idea.
Robinson had an average 2014 season. But that of course was his rookie year. He has not been able to hold or push off the D at all since his turf toe reconstruction surgery in early 2015 (has ruined many an NFL elite player). Of course, not holding down his weight has also not helped his toe situation.

Lions traded a 6th round pick for Greg Robinson and then signed Cyrus K. That's a team with a front office that isn't just willing to throw their hands in the air and hope for the best.
Yeah, because doing something - anything - just to address a potential problem is always the right thing to do - even if it might not work as hoped, and even though the Texans never ever do anything along those lines.

Signed,
The Brock Osweiler signing.

Edit: The Ed Reed signing endorses this post!

As for PFF, I'm a hypocrite. I constantly reference them when I don't know I'm talking about and use them as a resource and a defense for my arguments. But when I havew familiarity with subject matter at hand I often disagree with them. I just didn't see the same Derek Newton PFF did. Obviously they are the more capable judge of character than I am and everyone is entitled to say and believe whatever they want, but I saw a trash heap, mediocre, extension, mediocre at best (maybe slightly above suck) then career ender.

Look up Derek Newton mentions in this message board too. I wasn't the only one watching games screaming at Derek Newton.

Does PFF give him extra points for stripping the ball from his own teammates?

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/derek-newton-strip.109461/

I think the problem with Derek Newton is that for some reason many people here think the RT position is manned by all-pros on 31 other teams. Compared to his peers & taking his contract into consideration, we could do a lot worse than Derek Newton.

Another thing. People around here see "contract extension" & think it means "highest paid player at his position"

Not everyone... but I think we know who I'm talking about.

This is more of the BS blame it on Rick talk that's just gotten to ridiculous levels on this board.

I wanted the Texans to draft Greg Robinson in lieu of Jadaveon Clowney. But the guy is just not cutting it. Not at LT, & not at LG. Why in the world would the Texans want to bring this guy in?

That the Lions gave up a 6th would mean that it's something we should have looked into is preposterous. Bordering on idiotically asinine. The Lions suck.

Yeah, because doing something - anything - just to address a potential problem is always the right thing to do - even if it might not work as hoped, and even though the Texans never ever do anything along those lines.

Signed,
The Brock Osweiler signing.

Edit: The Ed Reed signing endorses this post!

You are right, I didn't realize that signing an unproven Brock Osweiler to a ludicrous contract and handcuffing our franchise to that guy is the exact same thing as bringing in cheap bodies to try out for a position of great need.

What was I thinking?!

Carry on boys.

I think the problem with Derek Newton is that for some reason many people here think the RT position is manned by all-pros on 31 other teams. Compared to his peers & taking his contract into consideration, we could do a lot worse than Derek Newton.

Another thing. People around here see "contract extension" & think it means "highest paid player at his position"

Not everyone... but I think we know who I'm talking about.

screen-shot-2015-10-04-at-2-46-13-pm.jpg

This is more of the BS blame it on Rick talk that's just gotten to ridiculous levels on this board.

I wanted the Texans to draft Greg Robinson in lieu of Jadaveon Clowney. But the guy is just not cutting it. Not at LT, & not at LG. Why in the world would the Texans want to bring this guy in?

That the Lions gave up a 6th would mean that it's something we should have looked into is preposterous. Bordering on idiotically asinine. The Lions suck.
My post was not necessarily meant to be critical of Rick Smith because I'm basically a Rick Smith fan, unless in this instance he was uniformed about the availability of Robinson.
I'm giving Smith the benefit of the doubt here because I'm assuming he did know Robinson was available but was uninterested in making a deal.

How do you see the OT situation working out? Obviously, Davenport, Lamm, Clark and Brown make the squad. I see Gibson and Quessenberry as PS candidates. But, if healthy, how does Giacomini fit in? Do we carry five? When healthy, Giacomini has started and would be a veteran talent.

My post was not necessarily meant to be critical of Rick Smith because I'm basically a Rick Smith fan, unless in this instance he was uniformed about the availability of Robinson.
I'm giving Smith the benefit of the doubt here because I'm assuming he did know Robinson was available but was uninterested in making a deal.

NVM my pissy attitude. Blood sugar was low.

How do you see the OT situation working out? Obviously, Davenport, Lamm, Clark and Brown make the squad. I see Gibson and Quessenberry as PS candidates. But, if healthy, how does Giacomini fit in? Do we carry five? When healthy, Giacomini has started and would be a veteran talent.

I have to believe Giacomini was brought in to displace Chris Clark as the starter as sad as that sounds. I truly hope we don't intend to run Chris Clark out there again, even if it means Giac is the guy.

Or am I missing the ball on that one too and PFF has Chris Clark rated as a very above average tackle?

I have to believe Giacomini was brought in to displace Chris Clark as the starter as sad as that sounds. I truly hope we don't intend to run Chris Clark out there again, even if it means Giac is the guy.

Or am I missing the ball on that one too and PFF has Chris Clark rated as a very above average tackle?
Yes, when healthy. But he has back problems similar to Watt's. If he goes down, you have to bring someone up from the PS. Is this an acceptable risk? If he can make it through TC- maybe.

Giacomini has to beat out one of the top four or gets cut.

The Chronicle's Aaron Wilson had a third article in this morning's paper: Post-minicamp questions.

On the offense line he reiterates the fact that "Clark ranked as one of the statistically worst offensive linemen in the NFL in terms of pressures and sacks allowed." He goes on to write: "Giacomini has been only solid at best as a starter...".

Geez, for this season, "solid at best" sounds pretty good.

Hope his back holds up and he can stay on the field.

Derick Newton sucked. He's always sucked. He's been the weakest link and draft target on this board during his tenure - until O'Brien released everybody and we had no offensive line. For that brief time he was better than 'nobody', until the games started and he sucked again. During his contract year he didn't quite suck as bad - but still sucked.

I'm not asking for an All-Pro at the position, but Newton's best isn't up to Eric Winston's best.

I'm not asking for an All-Pro at the position, .

Me either , just something approaching Competency .... the position has been bare of talent for several years.

I don't buy into TK's theory that anyone above average is playing LT .... Yes the Really good ones are but there are some very good RT's .... This team has been bottom of the barrel since Winston left.

I'm not asking for an All-Pro at the position, but Newton's best isn't up to Eric Winston's best.

I thought the post was funny so o have it a like. While I agree Derek isn't close to Winston as a run blocker I thought Winston was much worse pass blocking & just as bad on the penalties.

Derek Newton is a better all around player. Well... was before the injury.

I thought the post was funny so o have it a like. While I agree Derek isn't close to Winston as a run blocker I thought Winston was much worse pass blocking & just as bad on the penalties.

Derek Newton is a better all around player. Well... was before the injury.

People forget Winston's T-Rex arms on pass block. It was painful to watch.

Comparing Newton to Winston was supposed to be an insult. Winston was absolute crap and only survived as he did because of Kubiak's scheme. Saying Newton is worse than Winston is calling him 'less than zero'.

Me either , just something approaching Competency .... the position has been bare of talent for several years.

I don't buy into TK's theory that anyone above average is playing LT .... Yes the Really good ones are but there are some very good RT's .... This team has been bottom of the barrel since Winston left.
And, as I recall, this msg board continually bitched about Winston.

Isn't that exactly what Newton was over the last three seasons? But he sucks.

While I think Newton is a better overall player than Winston, especially considering the money we were paying Eric compared to what we were paying Newton, I'm going to have to disagree with the "exactly" part.

Winston was borderline elite run blocker. If we needed a yard, we usually got it whether we ran left or right. It's been a minute since we've been able to say that.

Pass blocking, Newton is going to get beat from time to time. That's just the way it is. The elite pass rushers are just so much better than he is. With Winston, his opponent didn't need to be elite to get around him.

While I think Newton is a better overall player than Winston, especially considering the money we were paying Eric compared to what we were paying Newton, I'm going to have to disagree with the "exactly" part.

Winston was borderline elite run blocker. If we needed a yard, we usually got it whether we ran left or right. It's been a minute since we've been able to say that.

Pass blocking, Newton is going to get beat from time to time. That's just the way it is. The elite pass rushers are just so much better than he is. With Winston, his opponent didn't need to be elite to get around him.
Foster did his best running to the right behind Winston. Winston was more than an adequate pass blocker until he suffered a leg injury which was the primary reason he was cut.

Foster did his best running to the right behind Winston. Winston was more than an adequate pass blocker until he suffered a leg injury which was the primary reason he was cut.

I didn't have a problem with Winston until they played him $6M/yr avg salary. Injury or no injury, he never played at that level, imo.

Back