Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 2.33: Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

Thumbs up or down on Su'a-Filo, Xavier at 2.33?

• Up

Votes: 113 91.9%
  • Down

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
Lance Zierlein had XSF as his #4 rated offensive lineman in the draft...

LZ's O-line Grades, 2014 Draft
4. Xavier Su'a Filo UCLA G 6.17
Powerful and nasty. Su'a-Filo features fluid hips and can get around the corner with good quickness when asked to pull and usually finds and hits his target. Will play to and past the whistle. Has the foot quickness and strength to redirect when needed. Tends to get caught up on first man and takes too long to come off and pick up second rusher on twists. Gives up more pressure in pass protection than you want. His ability to move well and play with plus power will make him a late 1st round to early 2nd round target.

After hearing and reading all I have about X and how superior he'll be to Wade Smith, and I'm sure he's quite the upgrade, it was kind of a buzz kill to read this seemingly well researched and documented take on our second round pick.

I'm constantly trying to improve my knowledge of the X's & O's but it seems as this guy is way ahead of me. Duh!

Agree, disagree, indifferent? What do you guys/gals think about this in depth observation and write up?

He pointed out some errors. All players have them.

X is a solid player with a chance to be really good. I wouldn't worry too much.

After hearing and reading all I have about X and how superior he'll be to Wade Smith, and I'm sure he's quite the upgrade, it was kind of a buzz kill to read this seemingly well researched and documented take on our second round pick.

I'm constantly trying to improve my knowledge of the X's & O's but it seems as this guy is way ahead of me. Duh!

Agree, disagree, indifferent? What do you guys/gals think about this in depth observation and write up?

He has some of the same problems that Iupati had when he joined the 49ers. (Grabbing and hooking/ being too aggressive and going for the kill shot and missing in the running game.) All he needs is to be coached up like the 49ers did with Iupati. Anything would be an upgrade over Wade Smith.

I went thru your linked story pretty quickly (it was quite lengthy), but generally it seemed to be favorable, even highly complimentary in places on the X-man, so I'm not sure what your problems/concerns are about him based on the piece ?
And I would disagree with the author about his claim that everyone has been very worried to the point of being preoccupied with finding somebody to play left guard for us when we all know the biggest concern on the OLine by far has been right tackle ? That's why using the 33rd overall on a guard instead of a tackle (or QB), was a big surprise to me.

I understand where you're coming from. I think X was drafted over a RT for 2 reasons 1) he was rated higher than any RT and 2) I wonder if we have our RT on our roster already. I wonder if Newton was playing hurt out of necessity last year and the staff knows it. Or, Quessenbury is the guy they want at RT

Yep, and there's not many other "softer" landing spots for a rookie G than between Duane Brown and Chris Myers.

Exactly. X is a first round Og talent sandwiched between 2 pro bowl Olineman. He will improve their play from last season and they will help him transition to the pro game.

Very excited about our Oline!

He has some of the same problems that Iupati had when he joined the 49ers. (Grabbing and hooking/ being too aggressive and going for the kill shot and missing in the running game.) All he needs is to be coached up like the 49ers did with Iupati. Anything would be an upgrade over Wade Smith.

I can certainly see that and agree. I probably phrased my initial post incorrectly as it wasn't my intent to sound alarmist at all. I dig the pick and see where O'Brien is with this retool/remodel/rebuild. I think it's smart sound decision making setting this team up solidly for the long haul.

Now it we can just capture some Pixie Dust at the QB slot I think that most on here would agree the Texans will be set to be very competitive for years to come. (As long as they draft as soundly as this year to reload/keep adding talent)

I went thru your linked story pretty quickly (it was quite lengthy), but generally it seemed to be favorable, even highly complimentary in places on the X-man, so I'm not sure what your problems/concerns are about him based on the piece ?
And I would disagree with the author about his claim that everyone has been very worried to the point of being preoccupied with finding somebody to play left guard for us when we all know the biggest concern on the OLine by far has been right tackle ? That's why using the 33rd overall on a guard instead of a tackle (or QB), was a big surprise to me.

See steelb's post and my response above.

Pixie dust would be cool.

The Texans org is due for a lot of luck.

Luck is by and large a product of hard work and hopefully BOB is the man for the job.

In my amateur eyes, I like him maybe better than Brooks or at least the same.
I do like his potential more than Jones or Caldwell.

I was with Three toe peed on Iupati.
I'm not quite as high on X.

On my amateur grading scale, I like where each of them were drafted.

I think he's gonna do well.
He should do better than Jones in the long term, but I won't be surprised if Jones get the nod to start the year.

Or perhaps they can spell each other as needed.

http://houseofhouston.com/2014/05/16/talking-xavier-sua-filo-go-joe-bruin/
To discuss everything Xavier Su’a-Filo is Mike W.R. from Go Joe Bruin. Mike is the editor at Go Joe Bruin, a FanSided site talking all things UCLA Bruins. Mike will enlighten us on what to expect from Su’a-Filo and hopefully quash all your concerns regarding some question marks.

Yoni Pollak
This conversation is a part of a series of conversations I am doing with other blogs about their college players being drafted by the Texans.

I'm joined Mike W.R. who is the editor of gojoebruin.com, a Fansided site dedicated to all things UCLA.

Thank you for joining me Mike.

Several Texans fans were aiming for other players at #33 other than Su'a-Filo. Tell Texans fans why they should be excited for Su'a-Filo?
Mike W.R.
Thank you very much, Yoni. Glad to be here. Well...

Never judge a book by it's cover, and just as well, do not judge Xavier Su'a-Filo by his size. He may look small, but there is a lot of grit, heart and leadership in him. Su'a-Filo is a player the entire UCLA Bruin fan base depended on and he never disappointed.

One of the things about UCLA is that they have had a very shaky O-line for several years. Even last year when they had depth, they still managed to catch the injury bug. Su'A-Filo, despite all that, started every single game.

The only draw back to having so many injuries was that he was used to help out those positions lacking depth, mostly at left guard and left tackle. For Su'a-Filo, that was an advantage. Although he is slated to play left guard, that knowledge has helped him to be a leader and help out others at those various line positions.

Last season as a junior, he was one of the oldest and most experienced offensive lineman. Last year was his fifth removed from high school. He had taken two years off after his freshman year for a LDS mission and with that he matured. Upon his return to UCLA, he was a player everyone looked up to. Plain and simple, he is a leader.

Here is a fact Texans fans might not know: Xavier Su'a-Filo was UCLA's offensive MVP last year. Even with Brett Hundley, who was running the offense and breaking records left and right for the Bruins, none of it could have happened with out Su'a-Filo.

Yoni Pollak
That's pretty exciting to hear. So the Texans do plan on using him at LG, at least that's what it sounds like they're doing. Do you think that's his best position, or is he better at a different spot?

Mike W.R.
Experience-wise, that is his position. Su'a-Filo owns it! He has played the "blindside" left tackle spot, but is sort of limited with his size. He did well in college, but the lack of length or height might hurt his game, especially going up against the bigger, faster defensemen of the NFL. Right now, with his talent and strength, he is best utilized at the left guard spot.

Yoni Pollak
Is there anything to be worried about that he spent two years away from football on a mission? At 23, he's a bit old for an underclassmen.

Mike W.R.
Definitely. There is always that worry about a player going backward or stalling in production. The two years took away from being consistently in top shape, especially with spring camps, fall camps and off-season workouts. The good news is, that was over two years ago and he has built himself back into, well, a high second round draft pick.

Yoni Pollak
Glad to hear that.

Who do you think Su'a-Filo compares to in the NFL?

Mike W.R.
That is a tough one for me because I do not follow the NFL as closely as I do college football. It is definitely not a glamour position, but it is important. Su'a-Filo knows this and has made it his mission to be the best he can and at UCLA, that is all he did. He is strong, has great feet and excellent in run blocking. Sorry about not naming a NFL O-lineman.

Yoni Pollak
Ha, no problem. From what we've been hearing, Su'a-Filo can be a starter for the next 10-15 years, which would be excellent value at #33. Do you think Su'a-Filo can be a Pro Bowl tackle? What type of O-Line scheme is he better fit for?

Mike W.R.
He can definitely be a Pro Bowler (if it continues to exist)! He just seems to get better and better and accepts nothing less. In the up-tempo system that UCLA has utilized the past two seasons, the line had to be solid and agile in order for the offense to go, go, go!. The Bruins were fast last year, so that is something Su'a-Filo will flourish with. At the same time, he has learned to adapt to different schemes.

Late last season, the Bruins started to use a "power package" with defenders playing offense. This was nothing but a smash-mouth type of formation which UCLA wrecked defenses with. It seemed for Su'a-Filo, it was just another play.

Yoni Pollak
Great! Hopefully looking forward to seeing Su'a-Filo flourish for many years to come in a Texans uniform.

Well..

"Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and Su'a-Filo gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou."

Okay, honestly.. After watching this guy play during camp and during preseason, how do you feel about the pick now?

I have to admit, with the 33rd pick, first pick in the second round, I'm starting to feel they royally screwed up here. I've been watching this kid and NOTHING he does pops off the screen and says "that's why you took him 33rd ovrl..a guard". Nothing that is worth the first pick in the second round or anything that resembles a special player at his position (which is what you should see right off the bat with a guard taken that high).

I hope this guy works out, but so far I'm not seeing it..

Okay, honestly.. After watching this guy play during camp and during preseason, how do you feel about the pick now?

I have to admit, with the 33rd pick, first pick in the second round, I'm starting to feel they royally screwed up here. I've been watching this kid and NOTHING he does pops off the screen and says "that's why you took him 33rd ovrl..a guard". Nothing that is worth the first pick in the second round or anything that resembles a special player at his position (which is what you should see right off the bat with a guard taken that high).

I hope this guy works out, but so far I'm not seeing it..
Until he gets his NFL feet under him, he needs to be left at Guard and leave OT alone. He should be fine between Brown and Myers next game.

I don't want to overreact. I liked the pick. I'll give him more time, but his pass pro sucks bad. He cannot play tackle.

Now I'm feeling like we should've moved back for more picks and taken jimmy g, but x still has a bunch of time to improve.

Until he gets his NFL feet under him, he needs to be left at Guard and leave OT alone. He should be fine between Brown and Myers next game.

My criticsm isn't even about his attempt to play tackle tonight, I think his play at guard hasn't been worth his draft position. I haven't been impressed at all.

Well, let's try and be a bit more objective. He missed quite a bit of time because of school and then we've played him at both guard spots and tackle. He's probably a bit overwhelmed at this point and is thinking more than playing.

I liked the pick because Lord knows we needed help on the line, he needs more time to adjust and some time to work at his craft.

I don't want to overreact. I liked the pick. I'll give him more time, but his pass pro sucks bad. He cannot play tackle.

Now I'm feeling like we should've moved back for more picks and taken jimmy g, but x still has a bunch of time to improve.
He was not drafted to play OT although eventually he might be able to. Would have rather seen him get all his reps at LG. I am not concerned.

Well, let's try and be a bit more objective. He missed quite a bit of time because of school and then we've played him at both guard spots and tackle. He's probably a bit overwhelmed at this point and is thinking more than playing.

I liked the pick because Lord knows we needed help on the line, he needs more time to adjust and some time to work at his craft.

That's what you say about mid level players drafted at their position, but when you spend that high of a pick on a player at guard, you expect a ass kicker, because guards aren't normally drafted that high to begin with.. and when you do, you expect a lot more. (compare the number of tackles that come off the board that high to the number of guards that came off the board at that spot in recent years.

At the position he plays and at position that he was drafted he should be plug and play player. A instant factor that has pro bowl potential in the future.

He was not drafted to play OT although eventually he might be able to. Would have rather seen him get all his reps at LG. I am not concerned.

Again, it is his reps at guard that has me concerned. They stuck him at tackle tonight out of necessity, not because they actually expect him to start there.

Maybe one day he'll develop into a solid guard.. but even if he does I find it hard to believe he'll, ever be worth where he was drafted.

That's what you say about mid level players drafted at their position, but when you spend that high of a pick on a player at guard, you expect a ass kicker, because guards aren't normally drafted that high to begin with.. and when you do, you expect a lot more. (compare the number of tackles that come off the board that high to the number of guards that came off the board at that spot in recent years.

At the position he plays and at position that he was drafted he should be plug and play player. A instant factor that has pro bowl potential in the future.
And some of us think Filo will be just that. Let's not forget that Duane Brown draft #26 had some problems his first two seasons and has done fairly well. Either of us could be right but here I am a glass 3/4 full guy.

And some of us think Filo will be just that. Let's not forget that Duane Brown draft #26 had some problems his first two seasons and has done fairly well. Either of us could be right but here I am a glass 3/4 full guy.

Duane Brown was a tackle.. which was why I brought up the tackle vs guard draft value argument.

Duane Brown was a first round pick, but how many players went in front of him? {and he still went late in the first round?

Xavier Su'a-Filo OG was what, the second guard taken and he went with the first pick in the second round or the draft? little value at that spot unless you are all world. Which suggests we over drafted him severely.

Also people overestimate "the problems Duane had", most his problems were due to building/ lack of stamina and the speed of the game" (which is why Ephraim Salaam was signed.. and it didn't take him years to start over Salaam.)

Ephraim Salaam started a total of 0 games after Duane was drafted. Played in 13 games Duane's rookie year,

Last edited:
Duane Brown was a tackle.. which was why I brought up the tackle vs guard draft value argument.

Duane Brown was a first round pick, but how many players went in front of him and he still went in the first round? A lot.

Xavier Su'a-Filo OG was what, the second guard taken and he went with the first pick in second pick in the draft? little value at that spot unless you are all world. Which suggests we over drafted him severely.

Also people overestimate "the problems Duane had", most his problems were due to building/ lack of stamina and the speed of the game" (which is why Ephraim Salaam was signed.. and it didn't take him years to start over Salaam.)

Ephraim Salaam started a total of 4 games after Duane was drafted.
not discounting your points just think Brown and X needed/will need some work. I think Sua'Filo will lock up the LG from game one and fills a dire need spot. IMO there was not a better OT or OG available at #33 and remember most of us were hopeful Quessenbury would move to his natural position of OT. Now if you want to argue Garoppolo would have been a better selection in a trade up, I'd agree but Texans I think thought he'd be there at 65 going instead 62.

X had a horrible game tonight. He was getting constantly beat... both in pass pro and run blocking. That doesn't mean it's time to give up on him and call him a bust. Extremely way too early for that.

If we gave all of our lineman that same short leash, then Duane, Myers, and Brandon would be on other teams right now.

They've had him at guard, center, & tackle. I Don't Know If That's because they see something special about his versatility or if they're trying to find something he is good at.

But I agree with CarBombed nothing jumps out & says this kid is going to be special. However, the way they've moved him around hasn't done him any favors

There was only 1 first round guard I actually paid attention to before and that was Iupati (who was rumored to be our guy for some time). He was considered the best guard to come out of college in a long time. He struggled a lot his first games. Lots of penalties and several times he got beat.

What I am going at? Give Sua Filo some time. Even if you are a highly talented guard you need to adjust to playing against way stronger and way faster guys in the NFL. Him struggling now doesn't mean he sucks, it just means he is in that adjustment period. We won't know if it was a good pick until at least game 8, maybe we won't know until next season.

Remember how fans thought about Myers? Brown? What about other positions? KJ?

Let's not call people busts in the preseason - especially not the ones that play at positions, where the adjustment period is pretty difficult.

Let's not call people busts in the preseason - especially not the ones that play at positions, where the adjustment period is pretty difficult.

Saying a guy doesn't look like he was worthy of the 3rd overall pick isn't the same as calling him a bust.

You know I agree with all of that, and another thing is that we are so used to seeing interior OLinemen taken in late rounds or even as undrafted rookie prospects so many years here by Kubiak because his ZBS doesn't call for that power-type road-grader that other more man-oriented offensive-line schemes call for and often pay a premium for. And the 33rd overall is certainly a high pick, a very high pick, virtually a late 1st round pick in this strong Draft.
But I've seen quite a bit of tape on this guy from college, and he is an impressive and very physical run-blocker and he missed a ton of time because of that quarter system at UCLA. I think it's far too soon to grade him and his performance in this system.

Guess we should be glad we didn't draft Greg Robinson to play LG as he currently is in StL. After all the #2 pick is struggling as well.

Throwing 5 positions at a rookie can't be a good thing. Short term, anyway

Love his run blocking, but like has already been said, his pass pro isn't just bad.....it's laughable at times

I think it was Chester Pitts who said what the Texans are doing is creating flexibility . Guys are learning different things so they game plan strategically .

XSF quotes...
(on what he learned tonight) “A lot. Playing tackle is a little different than guard. It was good to go against a few different rushers because things are different. I saw different angles and used my hands differently. I have to continue to build on it.”

(on if playing tackle helps him at guard) “I think so. Overall, just seeing the scheme of the defense and seeing what rushers are where and what packages they are using. It just helps my awareness.”

(on how much he expects to play in Week 1) “I’m not sure. That’s a great question. I just have to come ready next week and see what the coaches want me to do. I’ll see what they have for me and I’ll be prepared.”

(on if it’s hard switching back and forth between guard and tackle) “It is sometimes. The mindset is the same, but you have to be a lot more patient at tackle as far as pass protection goes. Coaches do a good job of moving me around, so I really just need to continue to work on my technique and fundamentals.”

(on if he is prepared for the regular season) “I think through camp I have learned a lot. I have been able to progress. It’s my first time, but I feel prepared and hopefully, I capitalize on it.”

(on if Duane Brown helps him at left tackle) “No doubt. After every series he tells me to make sure I do certain things and look out for certain things. It’s just little pointers that I really appreciate from a veteran guy like him.”

(on learning more throughout the regular season) “Here in this league you have to retain information quick and know information quick. You have to know the game plan and when your number is called, no matter where it is, you have to be ready to come in and do your job.”

(on his experience playing left tackle) “I played a little bit in college. I also played a little against Arizona and got some good reps there. I would say I have played it a fair amount.”

(on trying to comprehend everything going on) “I’m trying to get to the point where I can work on one or two things and concentrate on those and be consistent at them. I think that consistency for me is being able to get information quick and being able to adjust on the run and do it good.”

(on difference between veterans and rookies) “I think as the regular season starts, I’m going to see a lot of different vets and how they operate. The preseason is over, we’ll be able to see how they prepare for a regular season opponent and I’ll be able to learn and piggyback off that and I think be able to just start to do things more professionally.”

I just hope the let the youngster settle in at guard and get his game legs under him.

X will be fine. He's still a puppy and he's learning.

He's really the least of our concerns right now.

Yep.

X is in good company rookie OTs showing poorly early, rated 127th out of 141 OTs in the preseason by PFF:

130 Greg Robinson SL
131 Justin Britt SEA
135 Jake Matthews ATL
138 Cyrus Kouandjio BUF​

Rates a bit higher as an OG and that'll be his position imo. I expect him to be developed into a top tier G, like Brandon Brooks, but takes time. Needs to get an NFL body.

Duane Brown was a first round pick, but how many players went in front of him? {and he still went late in the first round?

Xavier Su'a-Filo OG was what, the second guard taken and he went with the first pick in the second round or the draft? little value at that spot unless you are all world. Which suggests we over drafted him severely.

Ephraim Salaam started a total of 0 games after Duane was drafted. Played in 13 games Duane's rookie year,

I am not going to judge X on how well he played OT this preseason. As a Guard i think he will be fine, pretty sure they were getting different people reps in a lot of places. O'brien said he wants everyone to be able to play anywhere.

Isn't Brooks the clear cut starter at RG? I think he fights with Jones for the LG spot.

I predict the alternating series approach with Jones and X... I've always felt Jones looked better with limited snaps, he tends to get exposed with overusage. Hopefully X develops quickly with his reps

Isn't Brooks the clear cut starter at RG? I think he fights with Jones for the LG spot.

Agree, I don't think he starts as OB has disdain for rookies and the mistakes they'll make. Can't lose QBs in first game.

Only chance I think is if Myers is injured and Jones slides to C.

Agree, I don't think he starts as OB has disdain for rookies and the mistakes they'll make. Can't lose QBs in first game.

Post draft he was Plug-N-Play.

Now X is Un-Plugged?

Post draft he was Plug-N-Play.

Now X is Un-Plugged?

Missing all of OTAs hurts. Missed study hall, walk-throughs, corrections, weight room/conditioning, reading defenses... that's a lot.

You can tell from the interview his head is spinning & he's thinking vs. reacting. I guess plug N play is relative, considering the OL at the top of the draft. Most can't just step into any scheme and defeat NFL defenses immediately.

I think they've plugged him in too many places and his head exploded.

Missing all of OTAs hurts. Missed study hall, walk-throughs, corrections, weight room/conditioning, reading defenses... that's a lot.

You can tell from the interview his head is spinning & he's thinking vs. reacting. I guess plug N play is relative, considering the OL at the top of the draft. Most can't just step into any scheme and defeat NFL defenses immediately.

Yeah, I'm on board with all that. Suppose that's pretty much what I meant. Kinda tongue in cheek for all the doomsdayers.

Danged so rookie disdain will keep Clowney from starting? And Prosch? and maybe Fiedo some games?

Back