Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 2.33: Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

Thumbs up or down on Su'a-Filo, Xavier at 2.33?

• Up

Votes: 113 91.9%
  • Down

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
Good pick. If they hadn't taken an interior offensive lineman or a quarterback, it would have been a disaster. Grade B+.

We are not going to draft a QB. You heard it here first!

OB has big plans for Keenum. Just get him some decent protection that he didn't have last season. On paper, we have a pretty decent line now that Filo is on board. Also, this time OB will call plays that will work with Keenums strength unlike Kubiak.

:cow:

Just upgraded two positions with one pick.

This has BOB written all over it. We can begin to see what kind of team O'Brien wants to put together and I'm all over it like white on rice.

If Kubes is still coach, that pick never happens imo.
We need a strong running game. If Arian Foster doesn't stay healthy I'm still concerned with our depth. And of course, what kind of quarterback play will we have? Hopefully we target a quarterback and running back in the third and fourth round (two picks). I also wanted a big nose tackle. Maybe those will be our next three picks.

Xavier Su'a-Filo, OL, UCLA
Hot 100 rank: 27
Su'a-Filo (6-foot-4 1/8, 307 pounds) played some left tackle in 2013, but his best NFL position will be guard. He did not play football in 2010-11 because he was serving on a Mormon mission, but he started all 14 games as a true freshman. He ran the 40 in 4.90 seconds (hand-held) and had 25 strength lifts at the combine.

Su'a-Filo (6-foot-4 1/8, 307 pounds) played some left tackle in 2013, but his best NFL position will be guard. He did not play football in 2010-11 because he was serving on a Mormon mission, but he started all 14 games as a true freshman. He ran the 40 in 4.90 seconds (hand-held) and had 25 strength lifts at the combine.
it may not be pretty because of the love of the cheeseburger...but 307lbs moving sub 5.0 is getting hit with a big physics lesson first hand.

OK, so if he's really good, this guy gets to marry like 50 women and have 300 kids. Motivation...

Just curious, who was the dumbass...... The ONE dumbass errrrrrr, contrarian that voted down the pick........ ??

This has BOB written all over it. We can begin to see what kind of team O'Brien wants to put together and I'm all over it like white on rice.

That's racist!!

Really I don`t know if they should draft one. What is the point of drafting one, when you are not convinced he could be your franchise QB. Perhaps there is a QB like that left (Savage, Mettenberger, McCarron, Murray...), most likely there is not. Just try to either get one via trad (like Mallet) or go again next season. Too many good players at other positions left. So far we have 2 surefire starters, let`s get at least 2 more.
I would definitely take Savage, McCarron or Murray at 3.1. That's a straight up value pick and you just might get a FQB and if you don't, no big deal. You didn't mortgage the farm or break the bank with a high round one pick.

OB has big plans for Keenum. Just get him some decent protection that he didn't have last season. On paper, we have a pretty decent line now that Filo is on board. Also, this time OB will call plays that will work with Keenums strength unlike Kubiak.

:cow:
Kinda limits that "flexible" offense BOB wants to run. Why limit it to the spread or the pistol?:kitten:

You can bet Rick Smith wasn't involved in any way. Prolly sent him for coffee... :shades:

edit: went back and read the WHOLE post which I really agree with. :D

OB sticking with the Pats blueprint for O-lineman... Big, nasty muthas that will punch you in the mouth then take your mother out for a steak dinner and never call her...

Didn't know much about him but will defiantly research

If he can be our RT then I'm very happy with the pick, but if he's only going to be able to play inside, that's a waste of the 2.1 as far as I'm concerted because we'be got Quess to play LG.

Some pretty good corners in Phillip Gaines and Stanley Jean-Baptiste lurking

Dang Saints must have had a mind meld with me.

If he can be our RT then I'm very happy with the pick, but if he's only going to be able to play inside, that's a waste of the 2.1 as far as I'm concerted because we'be got Quess to play LG.
Quess was a OT and was only a projection to G. He is 6'5 307 with 34 + inch arms

That's racist!!

I would definitely take Savage, McCarron or Murray at 3.1. That's a straight up value pick and you just might get a FQB and if you don't, no big deal. You didn't mortgage the farm or break the bank with a high round one pick.

Kinda limits that "flexible" offense BOB wants to run. Why limit it to the spread or the pistol?:kitten:

Not me , with the next pick I want an OT .... After Mewhort , Richadrson & Moses the talent level drops significantly (at least in my opinion). Have to get Newton out of the starting lineup.

I think you can get Katherine Webb .... Errr AJ McCarron at 4:1 (Or Garappolo).

That said , there are still quite a few guys on the board with 1st round grades by the "media scouts." (Louis Nix , Allen Robinson , Kony Ealy & Morgan Moses).

Quess will likely be moved to RT, or at least tried there and if he doesn't work out, he makes for an excellent swing versatile G/T.

Personally, I think Quess ends up starting at RT. Just an early guess.

cant really argue with the philosophy, but I cant help but crave a playmaking offensive player considering the health and age of the current leaders on that side of the ball, either that or just keep building up the defense, and then SPLAT! Have a guard.

there's still time I guess.

Filo is a grinder, i'll give him that, im pretty sure he'll grow on me.

cant really argue with the philosophy, but I cant help but crave a playmaking offensive player considering the health and age of the current leaders on that side of the ball, either that or just keep building up the defense, and then SPLAT! Have a guard.

there's still time I guess.

Filo is a grinder, i'll give him that, im pretty sure he'll grow on me.
Curious, isn't AJ the only aged play maker? He is healthy & should play at least two more seasons. I like their philosophy. :good:

You may be right, but we darn well better. We have no one who can even do an adequate job as a starter.
Keenum was so panicked under a rush that he would miss a wide open back in the flat. What do you call that? Maybe no guts.

Walter Football is where I get my scouting reports:
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014xsuafilo.php

Strengths:
Excellent pass-protector
Mirrors speed rushers with ease
Strong base to anchor against bull rushes
Extremely well built
Good speed
Rare mobility, athleticism
Fast for an interior lineman
Quality run-blocker
Tough on the second level
Adept at pulling
Hits blocks on the run
Intelligent
Good technique with hand placement
Good knee bend
Strong hands
Sustains blocks
Durable
Should be able to start immediately
Good at adjusting to blitz pick up
Could play in any offense
Excellent fit for a zone-blocking system
Could play left tackle if needed
Experienced
High floor
Upside

Weaknesses:
Could use a little more power

Player Comparison: Ben Grubbs. Su'a-Filo's game reminds me of Grubbs. Grubbs (6-3, 310) is similar size and both are very athletic for their size. They are quick and agile to defend speed rushers while also being strong enough to get movement in the ground game. After being a first-round pick for the Ravens in 2007, Grubbs has had a good career for Baltimore and New Orleans. Su'a-Filo could turn into a similar Pro Bowl guard in the NFL.

It's like a completely different team with just four picks. No love these guys. These are the kind of thoroughbreds you win with.

Keenum was so panicked under a rush that he would miss a wide open back in the flat. What do you call that? Maybe no guts.

Keenum's problems were more pre snap than anything else. He didn't recognize coverage and pressure packages before the snap & make the proper adjustments. Even simple concepts like an overload to one side with a 4 man rush befuddled him (4th quarter in KC).

IF he can solve that puzzle (Huge IF) I think he can be successful in the league. The question is , can he figure that out. That's what sets guys like Manning , Brady & Brees apart from the rest of the league - their ability to recognize pre snap reads and take advantage of them.

im just glad we got more samoans.

far too long we were deficient in the number of samoans we had on our roster which was one of the reasons why we sucked for such a long time.

you must have at least one fat samoan in our roster at all times.

that is a key ingredient in winning.

Keenum's problems were more pre snap than anything else. He didn't recognize coverage and pressure packages before the snap & make the proper adjustments. Even simple concepts like an overload to one side with a 4 man rush befuddled him (4th quarter in KC).

IF he can solve that puzzle (Huge IF) I think he can be successful in the league. The question is , can he figure that out. That's what sets guys like Manning , Brady & Brees apart from the rest of the league - their ability to recognize pre snap reads and take advantage of them.

Just want to say that I continue to disagree with this. :)

I really like this pick. It's not sexy but should help this year, instead of that crappy predictable OL that had the Texans picking #1 in the draft.:swatter:

Just want to say that I continue to disagree with this. :)

I will say Keenum would look a lot better with a running game that can pick up 3rd & 2, or 4th & 1 (a very short 1 at that).

We'd have won at least 3 more games.

Seth Payne’s Deceptively Fast: Su’a-Filo The Stout Pear
I’m feeling especially good about Xavier Su’a-Filo, who will likely start at left guard this year... Normally I’m not this optimistic about offensive linemen contributing immediately. Most of them have awful habits that they can get away with in college, but that kill them in the NFL. Not so with Su’a-Filo. He’s not the strongest guy in the world, but he plays with good hands and hips. He is rarely off balance, and is athletic enough to be effective when pulling. He simply looks like an NFL player on film.
Su’a-Filo has the magnificent physique for an interior offensive lineman that I like to call “The Stout Pear.” A bottom heavy o-lineman has a lower center of gravity. He can take a punch to the chest and not go down, like a weeble wobble or a pear shaped Terminator.

...Su’a-Filo’s technique and pad level will serve him well in this challenge, and he also has a frame that can easily another 10-15 pounds of bulk...

Excellent pick. I'm not comfortable with RT yet and they didn't address it in the draft. Hope the "Q" can step in and do the job.

im just glad we got more samoans.

far too long we were deficient in the number of samoans we had on our roster which was one of the reasons why we sucked for such a long time.

you must have at least one fat samoan in our roster at all times.

that is a key ingredient in winning.

Who is the fat Samoan on the Seahawks?

Back