Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 1.1: JaDeveon Clowney DE-OLB

Thumbs up or down on JaDaveon Clowney at 1.1?

• Up

Votes: 189 88.7%
  • Down

Votes: 24 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old school. Gewiss is written with ss under new spelling reform.

Glad Manziel went to Cleveland, he can really energize that franchise.

I knew they talked about it but I never heard that it was "official". It was optional when I was in der schweiz.

Mike

Ja gewiß. It's the 2nd time the Texans have used a 1.1 pick on a DE who lacked motivation.
It's a scant consolation to have the NFL's best pass rush if the team is a failure overall due to neglecting areas of weakness.

Yep. I'm downey on Clowney.

Pick is typical Texans: playing it safe. Took a guy who won't be a bust due to his raw physical tools, but I doubt will be great because he doesn't have the desire to be great.

I knew they talked about it but I never heard that it was "official". It was optional when I was in der schweiz.

Mike

Well, the Swiss are special because they never really implemented it. The Swiss don't use ß anymore, they only use ss.

Sorry for the off-topic guys.

Pick is typical Texans: playing it safe. Took a guy who won't be a bust due to his raw physical tools, but I doubt will be great because he doesn't have the desire to be great.

Um... what?

Mike

I really like this pick. I have the same concerns that everyone else has about the pick but we didn't have a JJ on the team when we got MW. I would like to see Clowney lined up over top of JJ. Would you like that sack to come from the inside or the outside?

Mike

Clowney is a top 10 pick, but he's not what we need if we honestly want to talk about being a playoff team. We needed to swing for the fences and take Manziel. We didn't.

I'm not looking forward to that week 11 @ Cleveland matchup...

Clowney is a top 10 pick, but he's not what we need if we honestly want to talk about being a playoff team. We needed to swing for the fences and take Manziel. We didn't.

I'm not looking forward to that week 11 @ Cleveland matchup...

Top 10? He goes #1 in every draft the last 10-15 years that doesn't have Andrew Luck.

Wow!!! Lotsa nut swingers on here. I hope Clowney is the next LT, I just don't believe it. I'll pull for Clowney but I don't like the draft choice.

Wow!!! Lotsa nut swingers on here. I hope Clowney is the next LT, I just don't believe it. I'll pull for Clowney but I don't like the draft choice.

who did u want us to draft

I hope we Make our DEF beast lets get a OLB and on some plays have Clown play DE and have a stud OLB right next to him and a fat albert NT and watt to the right of him

who did u want us to draft

I hope we Make our DEF beast lets get a OLB and on some plays have Clown play DE and have a stud OLB right next to him and a fat albert NT and watt to the right of him
I would've damn near given 1.1 away. There simply isn't a sure fire pick at 1.1 I'd have taken Manzeil just for the wow factor and to please the fan base. I think he'll be as successful as Clowney.

As a divisional fan, I'm saying down, because I don't buy his hype. Bad year, 3 sacks, but because he has a great pro day he's a killer? Mike Mamula anyone? I don't think I can ever remember a player making more off one play than he's made off that play vs Michigan.

If you could have fleeced someone out of 2 1sts and a 3rd, I'd have done that in your team's shoes. More holes to fill that those picks could have brought. Buffalo certainly suggests there were buyers in the top end of the draft and they paid their 2015 1st and this year's 4th to go from 9 to 4. That's a hell of a price.

Wow-------I like the pick, but I can't help but think Mario Williams...............

I wonder how this plays out comparing him to Johnny Football similar to how MW was compared to bush....

No, I don't think MW. If it weren't for the combine, MW was a whoooo?

With Clowney, there is a proven dominance, albeit, it was a season past, and the knock is this past season "off". With MW, it was only about physicality and upside. With Clowney, his upside is realize, but unlike MW, entering the draft, Clowney's downside is subject to interpretation.

Let's all HOPE that the stigma of "taking it easy" is true AND he flips that switch back on starting NOW. If not..... BUST

I personally wanted to avoid that very risk and get a good trade out of the 1.1

But, that obviously didn't pan out and we are with the concerning, yet to be realized question of did we get Jekyll or Hyde? THAT is the only MW comparison I can see. But that would have come with ANY player drafted in 2014 with 1.1

If we got Hyde... that beast and Watt are going to be a mess!

Now... what do we do with the 33rd pick? I was on the edge of my seat hoping TB would drop in our lap :(

Anyone stoked that the Colts are still not on the clock until their scheduled first pick at 59? Then again at 90?

so far, I think the Ravens did the best with respect to where they picked.

Can't wait to see what 33 brings. I hope it's a trade down.

If Clowney gets anything less than 10 sacks this year will he be considered a disappointment? With the amount of hype surrounding his ability, it seems 10-15 sacks should be an automatic.

I was originally mad when we drafted Clowney. In hindsight I believe it was a good move.

What was the height of stupidity was not trading up for Bridgewater. Some of y'all think that we didn't want him and I respect your optimism, but I think we just stayed pat and played it safe and paid the price.

If Clowney gets anything less than 10 sacks this year will he be considered a disappointment? With the amount of hype surrounding his ability, it seems 10-15 sacks should be an automatic.

Watt got 5 his rookie season. Mario got about the same, IIRC. Bruce Smith got 6.5 as a rookie. Rookies have a learning curve. Sucks to think, but it's true.

I was originally mad when we drafted Clowney. In hindsight I believe it was a good move.

What was the height of stupidity was not trading up for Bridgewater. Some of y'all think that we didn't want him and I respect your optimism, but I think we just stayed pat and played it safe and paid the price.

not moving up 1 spot proves BOB does not want Teddy B

it might even prove he gets 1 free year to rebuild and re tool this team that would be proven fact if we take our QB in the 3rd round

not moving up 1 spot proves BOB does not want Teddy B

it might even prove he gets 1 free year to rebuild and re tool this team that would be proven fact if we take our QB in the 3rd round

Or it means that Rick Smith got shafted.

Im happy with Clowney. We set off a hundred smoke screens and we didnt get the rare pay day. BUT we didnt settle for b.s. and got a freak cog for the defense. Rick didn't out think himself and did what needed to be done. 2-3 more average players and the D is set.

Now handcuff Clowney to watt and remind him how many people called him lazy for the last 4 months.

Why is it if someone likes and supports a player, it is nut swinging? I understand you did not get what you wanted, but no need to be a sore loser.

Well with this logic then Manziel better win the Super Bowl in 2014.

No, I don't think MW. If it weren't for the combine, MW was a whoooo?

Not really fair to Mario. If he had damn near killed some scrub in a Bowl game like Clowney did, he would have gotten a lot more attention. Clowney should give that kid a check for getting the hype machine started.

I like Clowney better than Mario, and he is coming in to a better environment with some veteran players.

I don't know why people think the hit made Clowney a #1 pick.

He was a projected top 3 pick in every draft even in high-school. His pre-nfl career is bigger than that hit.

Him and Mario aren't the same prospect.

I don't know why people think the hit made Clowney a #1 pick.

He was a projected top 3 pick in every draft even in high-school. His pre-nfl career is bigger than that hit.

Him and Mario aren't the same prospect.

This is true. Clowney has been talked about for a couple years now, even before that hit.

I don't remember once hearing about Mario Williams until the combine rolled around, but that was me.

I think Clowney is a different kind of cat and he was someone like Watt that is gonna push his ass to the limit. Mario never had that kind of guy to help push him as a rookie....

Yes this pick was the epitome of the Texans. Safe.

A physical freak defensive lineman who doesn't work very hard.... now where have I see that before.

A D-lineman that scouts have been raving about since high-school...

This is not similar to Mario Williams at all. Clowney was always going to be a top 3 pick. He's a prospect in the same vein as Luck, who scouts new since high-school that he's a special talent.

You get a chance to draft a guy that some say could be one of the best DE prospects ever you take him and say thank you.

All the people moping and whining about a QB have to come to grips that perhaps the Texans weren't too excited about any of them. Let it play out. Yall didn't learn after the Watt pick?

Why does everyone think he's a defensive lineman? He won't be on the line in the base defense. By title he'll be an olb.

maybe some how we can re sign Mario and have

JJWatt POE CLOWney
MARIO

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL that would be insane

Yes this pick was the epitome of the Texans. Safe.

Name one team besides the Jags who did not make the safe pick.

A D-lineman that scouts have been raving about since high-school...

This is not similar to Mario Williams at all. Clowney was always going to be a top 3 pick. He's a prospect in the same vein as Luck, who scouts new since high-school that he's a special talent.

You get a chance to draft a guy that some say could be one of the best DE prospects ever you take him and say thank you.

All the people moping and whining about a QB have to come to grips that perhaps the Texans weren't too excited about any of them. Let it play out. Yall didn't learn after the Watt pick?

Excellent post. Last I checked, there is no whining in Football.

I don't care who the hell ya'll want to compare Clowney to, as long as he plays like DeMarcus Ware or Aldon Smith( minus the crazy) and knocks the piss out of Andrew Luck and the like, I am happy, happy, happy....

If Texans take a big strong nose like Nix or premier 5 tech like Tuitt then this makes Clowney a much safer pick. Standing up, playing in space keeping him clean will only accelerate his impact as well as free up JJ Watt :swatter:

It was safe in the sense that it's what was expected by most of the Mocks, commentators, and other teams, ie, the NFL expected it.

Mack was a safer pick in the traditional sense.

As much as we need somebody to throw completions, I could get excited about this D if we take Nix here. At least we will make our opponents wish they had a new QB too.

If Texans take a big strong nose like Nix or premier 5 tech like Tuitt then this makes Clowney a much safer pick. Standing up, playing in space keeping him clean will only accelerate his impact as well as free up JJ Watt :swatter:

The reason I want Nix next is for Cushing. Nix will help keep blockers off Cush and allow him run wild...again. Tuitt would be REAL nice too. Our secondary should be grinning if we get either of those guys.

If the team is going to keep spending high picks on defense, might as well get Nix.

MCL tear doesn't bother me, pretty easy to come back from. Its not like losing a little speed would hurt his game.

There were plenty of safer picks.

It is safe in the sense that everyone had Clowney as the "BPA" so if does not work out then criticism is in relative terms minimal. If the Texans take any of the QBs, Mack or robinson then the selection itself is in question versus clowney's risk is in question.

I would feel less great about this pick if it weren't for Watt, Cushing, and the coaching staff. I think we've got the leadership and the coaches to push Clowney to be his best self and to teach him thing technique he needs to expand his abilities.

Just think: if he works out, this D line is going to strike fear into the hearts of QBs everywhere. That makes me very excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back