Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 1.1: JaDeveon Clowney DE-OLB

Thumbs up or down on JaDaveon Clowney at 1.1?

• Up

Votes: 189 88.7%
  • Down

Votes: 24 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should probably spell his name correctly in title since he's a Texan now.

Jadeveon Clowney -- pronounced jə-DEH-vee-on

:logo:

I don't think motivation is going to be an issue. For several reasons.

I think we're in for a treat with this defense next year. And all the pieces aren't even in place.

Not necessarily. A player like Khalil Mack was a much "safer" pick at 1.1. I'm just glad they didn't settle for that.

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I'm a Raider fan and Mack scares me coming from University of Buffalo. I hope Mayock and others are right about him, but I'm not sold on him yet, or at least until I see him play.

Clowney is a stud, congrats to the Texans and their fans.

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I'm a Raider fan and Mack scares me coming from University of Buffalo. I hope Mayock and others are right about him, but I'm not sold on him yet, or at least until I see him play.

Clowney is a stud, congrats to the Texans and their fans.

Didn't you know we got the ****tiest, laziest PoS in the draft?

Da Clown works for me.

tell me, are you down with Da Clown?

downwiththeClowney_zps3c71efba.jpg

If the team is going to keep spending high picks on defense, might as well get Nix.

MCL tear doesn't bother me, pretty easy to come back from. Its not like losing a little speed would hurt his game.

Here is what I previously posted: First of all, it was NOT an MCL tear.

As far as Nix, no mention was made of which meniscus/menisci were torn. But, if accurate, some reports reveal that the surgery involved "repair" not "excision." Repair is a harder longer recovery. What bothers me the most about Nix is that he has been dealing with a chronic case of patellar tendonitis.......the predecessor of patellar tendon rupture, ala our own Cushing and Newton. Being a big man, the condition and potential of rupture is more concerning. If he does eventually rupture, expect a long recovery closer to Newton (who was rushed back and not given enough time to completely rehab)........and we know how that's turned out.

I like Nix. But with especially the chronic patellar tendonitis, there has to be an element of remaining guarded in this pick. As I've written before, he is a great player with great potential................for a stellar career.........or ongoing injury history...........only time will tell, and someone will take the chance for sure.

I like Nix. But with especially the chronic patellar tendonitis, there has to be an element of remaining guarded in this pick. As I've written before, he is a great player with great potential................for a stellar career.........or ongoing injury history...........only time will tell, and someone will take the chance for sure.

We'll find out soon enough. After reading all the posts since yesterday, I'm starting to favor trading down and getting some extra picks anyway.

Before the draft I said that whoever we picked, I'd get behind.

I'm behind this pick. It's not my first or second choice but ultimately, it's all about strategy and building a great team.

This is almost a perfect spot for him. He's got JJ Watt in one ear, Brian Cushing in his other ear, Kollar screaming in his face, and Fitzgerald (his old S&C coach) kicking him in the rear.

It's going to be interesting to see what we're going to do on the other side from him. Are we going to nab someone like Skov for the middle and keep Reed at Sam? Is Reed moving to the Middle and Mercilus to Sam? I don't know.

But from a strategery standpoint, I'm hoping we're going to give RAC what he needs to be successful.

This changes my view on him. Thought it was a simple MCL. Tuitt and a NT later sounds like a good option if trade isn't available.

He also has Joesph and Swearinger here and Swearinger will get on his ass if he loafs, which he's not going to do and didn't do in College anyways.

I think we'll see an extra motivated Clowney here in Houston.

Before the draft I said that whoever we picked, I'd get behind.

I'm behind this pick. It's not my first or second choice but ultimately, it's all about strategy and building a great team.

This is almost a perfect spot for him. He's got JJ Watt in one ear, Brian Cushing in his other ear, Kollar screaming in his face, and Fitzgerald (his old S&C coach) kicking him in the rear.

It's going to be interesting to see what we're going to do on the other side from him. Are we going to nab someone like Skov for the middle and keep Reed at Sam? Is Reed moving to the Middle and Mercilus to Sam? I don't know.

But from a strategery standpoint, I'm hoping we're going to give RAC what he needs to be successful.

Don't forget Vrabel with all the talk of Clowney starting out as an OLB.

I'm not even going to worry about it. He'll never shake it. There's always going to be somebody who wanted Manziel, Bortles, or Bridgewater who is going to see JD not run a play down on the other side of the field & blow it out of proportion.

If he doesn't average a sack a game.... he's lazy.

I'm not even going to worry about it. He'll never shake it. There's always going to be somebody who wanted Manziel, Bortles, or Bridgewater who is going to see JD not run a play down on the other side of the field & blow it out of proportion.

If he doesn't average a sack a game.... he's lazy.

Post of the day, if not lifetime.

I'm good with Clowney, he was my second choice behind Mack. The one thing I don't like is that now we have a 1st round draft choice, who is only going into his third season, second as a starter, who will now become a situational rusher. He'll be depth at the position, but maybe we should try and trade him.

crazy that the number one draft pick overall and we only have 14 pages. all those bandwagoners from 2012 already leave? lol

crazy that the number one draft pick overall and we only have 14 pages. all those bandwagoners from 2012 already leave? lol

It's probably because it was pretty much a given. I'm excited to see how he learns the game playing next to JJ Watt. I really hope he learns work ethic from playing next to JJ Watt.

It's the smart pick...the only pick we should have made.

As a divisional fan, I'm saying down, because I don't buy his hype. Bad year, 3 sacks, but because he has a great pro day he's a killer? Mike Mamula anyone? I don't think I can ever remember a player making more off one play than he's made off that play vs Michigan.

If you could have fleeced someone out of 2 1sts and a 3rd, I'd have done that in your team's shoes. More holes to fill that those picks could have brought. Buffalo certainly suggests there were buyers in the top end of the draft and they paid their 2015 1st and this year's 4th to go from 9 to 4. That's a hell of a price.

If he's not as good as you think, why would anybody wants to part with two firsts and a third For him?

Aren't you contradicting yourself? :)

not moving up 1 spot proves BOB does not want Teddy B

it might even prove he gets 1 free year to rebuild and re tool this team that would be proven fact if we take our QB in the 3rd round

I believe Bridgewater would have been a mediocre QB in this system when he was able to play at all. We already have that.

Best PLAYER Available beats Best QB Available when your job is on the line.

If he's not as good as you think, why would anybody wants to part with two firsts and a third For him?

Aren't you contradicting yourself? :)

Kinda but not really. I am not in the heads of NFL GMs. I saw what Buffalo paid to move up to 4 and it make me wonder what the Texans asked for the pick.

Kinda but not really. I am not in the heads of NFL GMs. I saw what Buffalo paid to move up to 4 and it make me wonder what the Texans asked for the pick.

They've been very clear that they really liked the #1 spot and Clowney and that to move out of the #1 spot, someone was going to have to get crazy.

Or it means that Rick Smith got shafted.

There are multiple players available with the 2-1 pick. There was nothing special about Bridgewater which called for moving up:

QB -
1. Derek Carr
2. Tom Savage

DT -

1. Timmy Jernigan
2. Louis Nix
3. Ra'Shead Hagaman

DE - Why not go for the pair?

1. Kony Ealy
2. Trent Murphy
3. Scott Crichton

OG

1. Xavier Su'a-Filo

TE

1. Jace Amaro

WR

1. Marquise Lee

C

1. Marcus Martin

OT

1. Cyrus Koujando

These are ONLY the guys within the top 40 predraft. There are others which are just outside which are also arguably better than Bridgewater for this system.

Why does everyone think he's a defensive lineman? He won't be on the line in the base defense. By title he'll be an olb.

If we are truly going to a hybrid system utilizing elements of both base defenses and the variations of those, you need players who can adjust to different roles and responsibilities. This is one thing we will go for, the ability to play in multiple systems either as a down lineman or as a linebacker. The linemen should be able to succeed whether they line up at 0, 1, 2, 3 4, or 5. Keep the Offenses guessing and confuse them.

I like the flexibility on both offense and defense. But we need SMART players to do this.

Clowney is a top 10 pick, but he's not what we need if we honestly want to talk about being a playoff team. We needed to swing for the fences and take Manziel. We didn't.

I'm not looking forward to that week 11 @ Cleveland matchup...

I like your baseball analogy. Swinging for the fences usually results in just another good looking strikeout. In fact, far more frequently than if they just play within themselves.

There are multiple players available with the 2-1 pick. There was nothing special about Bridgewater which called for moving up:

QB -
1. Derek Carr
2. Tom Savage

DT -

1. Timmy Jernigan
2. Louis Nix
3. Ra'Shead Hagaman

DE - Why not go for the pair?

1. Kony Ealy
2. Trent Murphy
3. Scott Crichton

OG

1. Xavier Su'a-Filo

TE

1. Jace Amaro

WR

1. Marquise Lee

C

1. Marcus Martin

OT

1. Cyrus Koujando

These are ONLY the guys within the top 40 predraft. There are others which are just outside which are also arguably better than Bridgewater for this system.

I think I have a better chance getting drafted by the Texans than Carr. Ain't happening.

Dunno who's top 40 you're referring to, but Savage is not a 2nd rounder, imo. Garappolo, Mettenberger and Carr are the only QB's I have left in the top 50

I'd add Tuitt atop of my DE list. Nix and Jernigan as NTs

I'd also add Morgan Moses, Joel Bitonio and maybe even Newhort as OTs in the 2nd

The answer confirmed by Smith.

Jadeveon Clowney to be used as OLB

Jadeveon Clowney could start out as an outside linebacker, according to general manager and executive vice president Rick Smith. Selected first overall in Thursday's draft, Clowney is expected to be an immediate contributor to the Texans defense.

“I fully expect that he will be an outside linebacker initially," Smith said in a press conference Thursday night. "He’ll start in a two-point stance, but anytime we go into any kind of package, whether it’s a third down package or a packaged predicated on personnel, down and distance, all those things give Romeo (Crennel) the ability to have him put his hand in the dirt and go get the passer.”

At his April Pro Day, Clowney ran through a series of drills for defensive linemen. Towards the end of his workout, Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel put Clowney through drills designed for linebackers and appeared pleased with what he saw.

Clowney’s athleticm and speed offer the Texans versatility as does playing alongside leaders like J.J. Watt and Brian Cushing. The former South Carolina defensive end could be used to either drop back in coverage or rush the passer, according to Smith.

“He’s athletic enough to do all that stuff," Smith said. "The thing that they have to do also is set the edge in the run game. He is certainly capable and athletic and strong enough to do that and set the edge in the run game. Obviously his pass rushing ability speaks for itself

JD is going to be so nasty with this defense. Really looking forward to seeing him grow in Crennel's system and with the mentors he'll have on that defense. It's a great situation for him. The sky's the limit for him with this organization and the supporting cast.

I get excited with Clowney because it makes me think of what could've been back in the 2010/2011 season. Back when Mario was learning to play OLB and Watt was a young rookie. That first 5 games where they were dominating and Mario already had like 5 sacks on the season and would've had more if they counted a couple of sacks he got flagged on against Pittsburgh while he was murdering Roethlisberger. That year.

And I recall a particular game that year vs. the Saints. We were playing very well against a good QB but Mario just wasn't athletic enough to make up for when he fell for Brees' fakes.

But I look at Clowney and see a much more athletic DE who will make the transition. We also have a smart DC who is not just going to feed Clowney to the wolves. He's going to bring him along through his career.

Im extatic about this pick.

press conference at 3:30

Jadaveon said he spoke to Watt and Watt told him he's going to give him all the knowledgee he has to become a better player and he's going to mentor him and stay on him like a big brother.

Clowney said that he told Watt that he appreciates it and he's looking forward to it.

press conference at 3:30

Jadaveon said he spoke to Watt and Watt told him he's going to give him all the knowledgee he has to become a better player and he's going to mentor him and stay on him like a big brother.

Clowney said that he told Watt that he appreciates it and he's looking forward to it.

Music to my ears, man. They'll most likely give Watt a new contract and then have Clowney for at least 4-5 years. That could turn out to be a fierce partnership for years to come that instills dread into opposing teams when facing the Texans D. You can't double-team everyone.

Music to my ears, man. They'll most likely give Watt a new contract and then have Clowney for at least 4-5 years. That could turn out to be a fierce partnership for years to come that instills dread into opposing teams when facing the Texans D. You can't double-team everyone.

I think I'm sexually excited.

I think I'm sexually excited.

I think it's because you just came from this thread.... [IMGwidthsize=100]http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2014/02/Sarah_Duncan/Courtney-Act-To-Russia-With-Love.jpg[/IMG]

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back