Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub Calls Out the Fans

I used to leave early, but learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I bailed and missed Schaub's last second touchdown.

Never again. Now, I leave a few minutes AFTER the game.

Schaubie was RIGHT!
A true fan supports their team, through the good through, the bad, no matter what.
All you 'fans' who left early were probably the same ones that left last year vs the titans when Sage brought us back from being 21 points down in the 4th quarter.

I stay for my team and I get there early for my team and I scream like crazy when we are on defense for my team.

Go Texans!
Cap'n Texan

Schaubie was RIGHT!
A true fan supports their team, through the good through, the bad, no matter what.
All you 'fans' who left early were probably the same ones that left last year vs the titans when Sage brought us back from being 21 points down in the 4th quarter.

I stay for my team and I get there early for my team and I scream like crazy when we are on defense for my team.

Go Texans!
Cap'n Texan

I've got a friend who says that you are not a "true fan" unless you get a team logo tattoo, buy the $250 jersey, and go to every game. I guess everyone has different standards for being a so-called "true fan".

After reading all 7 pages of this (thus far), there are a couple of trends I see developing and felt compelled to address.

1. Schaub did noting wrong - I respectfully disagree. IMHO, after listening to the whole thing, I felt Schaub may mean well, but he SHOULD have bit his lip on EVER calling out ANY fan. Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, it's an area into which he should NOT venture. I felt he was out-of-line, especially given the amount of support this mediocre team has received. The Texans don't have a lousy home record this season due to lack of fan support.

2. "Real Fans" - I hear this phrase every year and it's getting tiresome. While I stay to the bitter end, I'm a die-hard and that's just me. The paying customer has the right to boo, yell, and leave at their discretion. All this garbage about "you never hear this in Pittsburgh, K.C., etc." is just that... GARBAGE. If you've never heard a fanbase boo ANY of the 32 teams, I suggest you are listening with jaded ears. (The same goes for blowout wins OR losses - it happes at ALL stadiums)

This team has never finished over .500, and can't seem to play two halves this season. Our QB looks like the "golden arm" when he's protected and has a well-defined pocket, but under duress (like many other QB's), he deterioates rapidly and predictably. Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

Didn't Schaub say that whether your teams is winning or losing you should stick with them? I still don't see the fault in that.

Also it should be noted to Schaub that fans who leave early, its not always a big statement of "IM GIVING UP ON THIS TEAM" - sometimes its "this is emotionally disturbing to go through, I love the Texans but I'm choosing not to subject myself to this pain anymore." Theres a big difference between the two.

You are a fan if you say you are. Nothing else is required.

yep, that's my standard, as well. I have no preconceived notions about the definitions of a fan other than what you stated, and find it rather sad to see fans calling each other out when we all root for a sucktastic team the past eight seasons.

yep, that's my standard, as well. I have no preconceived notions about the definitions of a fan other than what you stated, and find it rather sad to see fans calling each other out when we all root for a sucktastic team the past eight seasons.
Db did you not get the memo about "The Texan Purity Test"?
:spit:

Matt he shut have kept his mouth shut but my goodness folks are overeacting by far. He did not say anthing that bad either. Chill out everyone your belt is hold up your pants and he hasn't bitten you on the butt. Get over this already. I really hope you all don't lose any sleep over this you'd be very tierd at work the next day. I am more angry at OD for flicking off fans in the stadium than I am about this. Here in this great nation folks may do and say as the please.

Well I finally got up and walked out after the pick6...I just could not take it anymore...Sooner or later we all will cross that line when we said we would never do it, and well Sunday was that day.
I cannot explain why, it was like I just couldn't stand it anymore and that I had to go. So I looked at my wife and said I'm thru...she gave me a look like what took me so long.
Anyways, nobody is a bigger fan than the next guy...some are just more obsessed by it, by thinking they have to be the best, buy all the stuff, tats, facepaint...yadda yadda.. we are all fans the same, just some need to be more outgoing.
No idea what I will feel on the 13th, just not sure how much I can take anymore of this season...

By the way, if you really do not like like what Matt said try living by the old saying sticks and stones break my bones words don't hurt me and turn him off. It works for me every time.

Those at home, who can't make it to some games, are guilty of this, too. Too many times this season I have turned my TV off before the game is over. Lucky for me, I usually turn it back on a few minutes later to see if we did anything. :)

He probably felt like he had do something because the play calling sucked in the second half and the D didn't hold worth a crap. With a better HC Matt would not even had done this and none of us would be posting or talking about this matter. Gary must go.

I just Called the Texans and told them that I am a member of the Bull Pen and that I do not leave the stands till the last player walks off the feild.

It would be nice if they would come over and address our questions since we stayed but do they, I think Not

Whats very interesting to me is that the Sunday Night Football Game where the Colts were down by 17 late in the game at INDY, how full were the stands there??

The answer is they were completely filled still, and saw no signs of people leaving early. Imagine if that was us being played in our stadium, i guaruntee you that the stands would be half empty. Hell even in our most lopsided victory of the year, we still had half empty crowds at the end.

No excuse really. They are both night games, same time zone, both cities had work the next day. The fact is Indy fans care more about there football team then Houston does.

:yawn:

9 pages because schaub said the fans should've stayed. anybody disagree with his assessment? its very easy to be a fan when things are going well (cue the year 8 brigade) but the sign of good fans are how they react when things aren't going so well and the team needs the fans and (eventhough its not a popular thing to say) truth be told, the majority of texans fans have left down the team as often as the team has left us down

Whats very interesting to me is that the Sunday Night Football Game where the Colts were down by 17 late in the game at INDY, how full were the stands there??

The answer is they were completely filled still, and saw no signs of people leaving early. Imagine if that was us being played in our stadium, i guaruntee you that the stands would be half empty. Hell even in our most lopsided victory of the year, we still had half empty crowds at the end.

No excuse really. They are both night games, same time zone, both cities had work the next day. The fact is Indy fans care more about there football team then Houston does.

Well then again, they are good enough to come back and have shown time and time again....need to compare apples to apples and not to pears, Houston is not in the same league as Indy in that respect. And until they do it, they cannot do it...

:yawn:

9 pages because schaub said the fans should've stayed. anybody disagree with his assessment? its very easy to be a fan when things are going well (cue the year 8 brigade) but the sign of good fans are how they react when things aren't going so well and the team needs the fans and (eventhough its not a popular thing to say) truth be told, the majority of texans fans have left down the team as often as the team has left us down
You would he said, the next person to leave early he'll hurt or shoot them.:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

You are comparing Colts fans to Texans fans?

Maybe we can compare the Colts team against the Texans team? There is no comparison between Colts and Texans, except for maybe retractable roof stadiums.

When have the Texans ever come back after collapsing like a wet paper sack to warrant a fan to hang around anyway?

It is interesting that fans leaving early are being focused on here when...

Kubiak needs another year...
Kris Brown can miss field goals...
Schaub throws ints...
Mediocre play by Dunte...
And I can go and on...

But, fans leave early, that needs to be addressed because that is key to the Texans winning!

Regardless of fans in the stands or not, the coaches and players should deliver because they are paid to do so from the fans, whether there or not, that pay the ticket prices.

I understand the issue with Houston fans, but it is pointless discussion when said team flops around half the game laying rotten eggs.

Schaub needs to focus on what he can control, which is his play on the field.

Im sorry but how many people stayed in their seats during the Texan Titan games where Bironas had a record number of FG. Majority of people had left.

So give me a valid excuse why you leave a game so early........who iam asking .....these are probably the same people who arrive late as well.

The big difference is that they win games coming from behind and we don't, we blow games when we lead 20-6 at the half so that is a huge difference.

Im sorry but how many people stayed in their seats during the Texan Titan games where Bironas had a record number of FG. Majority of people had left.

So give me a valid excuse why you leave a game so early........who iam asking .....these are probably the same people who arrive late as well.

I think fans should get there early and stay late.

But, people pay a lot of money to go to these games and rearrange their lives.

This is entertainment and the point of being entertained is to do what you want.

Bottom line, players and coaches should not be publicly discussing this issue.

Let's all meet at Matt's house tonight and wait for him to go to sleep and then show him who's boss. Everyone call their boss and let them know you won't be coming into work tomorrow. I am going to go get the things ready to go right now. I say we all meet around 12 no one messes with Texans fans.

lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad. I didn't hear a lecture to the fans and I didn't hear him say anything he shouldn't have stated. We always see people say, "I wish we had more than a cliché from our athletes" but when they give them something more sophisticated than "It's gut-check time", "we should just go out and execute", or "the fans are our 12th man", we come apart at the seams. Houston doesn't deserve sound bytes more in depth than a Biggio special apparently.

I thought we had a forum of tough minded Texans but it looks like we have "emotions on a sleeve metrosexual guy" who's gonna lash out like 'leave Brittney alone' guy.

lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad. I didn't hear a lecture to the fans and I didn't hear him say anything he shouldn't have stated. We always see people say, "I wish we had more than a cliché from our athletes" but when they give them something more sophisticated than "It's gut-check time", "we should just go out and execute", or "the fans are our 12th man", we come apart at the seams. Houston doesn't deserve sound bytes more in depth than a Biggio special aparently.

I thought we had a forum of tough minded Texans but it looks like we have "emotions on a sleeve metrosexual guy" who's gonna lash out like 'leave Brittney alone' guy.

Metrosexual?

Are you saying our fans have intercourse with mass transit? :mcnugget:

lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad. I didn't hear a lecture to the fans and I didn't hear him say anything he shouldn't have stated. We always see people say, "I wish we had more than a cliché from our athletes" but when they give them something more sophisticated than "It's gut-check time", "we should just go out and execute", or "the fans are our 12th man", we come apart at the seams. Houston doesn't deserve sound bytes more in depth than a Biggio special apparently.

Good points, but this issue seems similar to his play on the field.

One half, Schaub plays great, and the other half he struggles and leaves you scratching your head.

It appears his poor decision making from time to time on the field is spilling over into interviews. Schaub should have just stayed away from the topic all together. Bad call on his part to even venture into this territory, there is nothing to gain in talking about this.

I could be connecting one too many dots here but I call'em like I see'em.

:spit:

Good points, but this issue seems similar to his play on the field.

One half, Schaub plays great, and the other half he struggles and leaves you scratching your head.

It appears his poor decision making from time to time on the field is spilling over into interviews. Schaub should have just stayed away from the topic all together.

I could be connecting one too many dots here but I call'em like I see'em.
so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split 'cause buddy, "you are the 12th man", because as a paying customer "the ball's in your court". I certainly did "drop the ball" last Sunday so "it's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

Great post!

To Hobie's post about everyone being an "equal fan and caring the same" I completely disagree.

I promise you that almost all the people in the club levels(excluding me and a very few others) do not have the same passion and do not care as much about the Texans and if they win or lose.

This is just one example but it is anywhere, some people are bigger and more involved fans than the others.

You can be a "fan" of the team and occasionly watch a game or maybe even go to one.

Someone who spends a lot of thier hard earned money paying for tickets,merchandise,etc and spending time researching the game and going on message boards just simply cares more which is shown by thier actions.

I am not saying that you can't be that other guy and still enjoy watching the team and NOTHING is wrong with that, I just think that there is a distinct difference among fans.

so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split 'cause buddy, "you are the 12th man", because as a paying customer "the ball's in your court". I certainly did "drop the ball" last Sunday so "it's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

You need to mix in a few "Uh, like I said before"

so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split but buddy "you are the 12th man", but "the ball's in your court", "drop the ball". "It's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

The reason why I find this an interesting topic is because there are times when Schaub makes very poor decisions.

I didn't think we needed to make the trade for Schaub, but we got him and he is doing a good job. I don't see how we can upgrade the QB position because acquiring talent at the QB position is tough in the NFL unless you have complete garbage.

With all that said, this was a very poor read on Schaub's part. He has no business wading into what fans do or not do.

I think he should have just said something like, "we need to take care of business on the field and let the fans decide what they want to do. We are professionals and our job is to win games."

Schaub should have just steered cleared of this one because it is a no win situation to discuss this topic.

Sure, some people are overreacting to this, but people pay a lot of money and rearrange their lives to go to or watch these games. Therefore, any of his discussion or opinions are irrelevant since he is commenting on the same people that ultimately pays his contract.

How much of this is on Matt? The play calling was changed in the second half and the O line stunck up the place. The D went bye bye IMO.

How much of this is on Matt? The play calling was changed in the second half and the O line stunck up the place. The D went bye bye IMO.

The play calling wasn't really changed until after the Colts took the lead. The problem was the Texans only took 7 snaps in the 3rd quarter. When you're behind in the 4th with 8 minutes left, is when the playcalling changed, my man.

Well I finally got up and walked out after the pick6...I just could not take it anymore...Sooner or later we all will cross that line when we said we would never do it, and well Sunday was that day.
I cannot explain why, it was like I just couldn't stand it anymore and that I had to go. So I looked at my wife and said I'm thru...she gave me a look like what took me so long.
Anyways, nobody is a bigger fan than the next guy...some are just more obsessed by it, by thinking they have to be the best, buy all the stuff, tats, facepaint...yadda yadda.. we are all fans the same, just some need to be more outgoing.
No idea what I will feel on the 13th, just not sure how much I can take anymore of this season...

I saw you entering the stadium with your Cowgirls jersey on!! :zipit: hehe j/k folks!

Not excuses, but there are reasons. :ok:

If you really think the Colts and Texans franchises are comparable at this point in time...well, nothing I say will penetrate that mentality.

default.jpg

Man, we have hit a new low. :texans:

The play calling wasn't really changed until after the Colts took the lead. The problem was the Texans only took 7 snaps in the 3rd quarter. When you're behind in the 4th with 8 minutes left, is when the playcalling changed, my man.
They had more snaps because our D went bye bye and so did the O line. Agree?

It is interesting that fans leaving early are being focused on here when...

Kubiak needs another year...
Kris Brown can miss field goals...
Schaub throws ints...
Mediocre play by Dunte...
And I can go and on...

But, fans leave early, that needs to be addressed because that is key to the Texans winning!

Regardless of fans in the stands or not, the coaches and players should deliver because they are paid to do so from the fans, whether there or not, that pay the ticket prices.

I understand the issue with Houston fans, but it is pointless discussion when said team flops around half the game laying rotten eggs.

Schaub needs to focus on what he can control, which is his play on the field.

Thank you for posting that!

I think it's sad that we have some people on here who are just poo-poo'ing this and trying to act like it's no big deal.

Fans call out fans when they leave early. They yell at them and call them fair weathers and all kinds of stuff.

This was a bad move for Schaub. I agree with him but it was a bad move. Now if he throws just one pick at home, the crowd is going to come down hard on him. He has now put himself in a must win situation.

The only thing we can hope for is that we have a QB that fights back and the rest of the offense sticks up for him with better play.

Thank you for posting that!

I think it's sad that we have some people on here who are just poo-poo'ing this and trying to act like it's no big deal.

Because in the big scheme of things it really is no big deal. You want to hate on Schaub, then hate on him. It is your option to hate on him. In the end, the only damage here is to a few fans' egos. People need to get over themselves.

What is funny is that if the Texans win out (big IF), some of these same folks will be jumping on his jock again. I guarantee you no one will be here saying, "Sure Schaub made some clutch plays, but I still hate him because of the comments he made 5 weeks ago."

You forgot to add, "Well they get paid to play too..."

lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad.

& all he needed to say was, "it hurts... I'd be lying if I said anything different. We really view the fans as the 12th man, and when they leave us like that, it's like losing Andre or Steve, or Mario... whatever chance we had of winning gets a lot smaller. "

"I'm not blaming the fans for us not winning the game. But it just like losing OD in the 4th Qtr you know... how do you prepare for something like that?"

& all he needed to say was, "it hurts... I'd be lying if I said anything different. We really view the fans as the 12th man, and when they leave us like that, it's like losing Andre or Steve, or Mario... whatever chance we had of winning gets a lot smaller. "

"I'm not blaming the fans for us not winning the game. But it just like losing OD in the 4th Qtr you know... how do you prepare for something like that?"
I find it hard to believe otherwise intelligent people are nitpicking Schaub's comments to this extent. I'm so disappointed in the fan base.

I find it hard to believe otherwise intelligent people are nitpicking Schaub's comments to this extent. I'm so disappointed in the fan base.

It is a feeding frenzy in the shark tank. You dangle red meat and put chum in the water, the sharks will come every time.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed that you can't see how some people would be offended by the "fair weather fan" card, when there's been no fair weather - just a bunch of dumbasses standing out in the rain to watch a crappy football team. He could pretty much say whatever he wants, but the fair weather fan comments are horseshit, no matter who says it, and even moreso when it comes from him.

You call it like you see it, so do I.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed that you can't see how some people would be offended by the "fair weather fan" card, when there's been no fair weather - just a bunch of dumbasses standing out in the rain to watch a crappy football team. He could pretty much say whatever he wants, but the fair weather fan comments are horseshit, no matter who says it, and even moreso when it comes from him.

You call it like you see it, so do I.
It's just an idiotic rant to take Schaub's comments out of context like this...it reminds me of your political takes. You may call it like you see it but try to mix a little cheese in with your indignant whine.

It's just an idiotic rant to take Schaub's comments out of context like this...it reminds me of your political takes. You may call it like you see it but try to mix a little cheese in with your indignant whine.

There's nothing out of context about it. I posted the context earlier.

As for the whine comment, well, I suppose we all have things that we whine about. You're growing quite a list yourself.

Back