Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub Calls Out the Fans

If he wants to keep butts in the seats...he SHOULD STOP throwing 4th quarter interceptions that result in TOUCHDOWNS! He wants revenge on us? Hey Matt...WIN your remaining games baby!

I don't know what section you sit in but the colts game has been the only game this year where I've seen a ton of jerseys of the opposite team. I was expecting everyone to bust out the VY jerseys.. but hell no section 136 was chanting VY sucks during commercial breaks hehe.

I'm in front row, Section 116 (Bull Pen). And it was awesome to see an entire stadium behind the Texans for the first time against the Titans since the VY draft. It's just heartbreaking the kick didn't swing our way in the end.

If he wants to keep butts in the seats...he SHOULD STOP throwing 4th quarter interceptions that result in TOUCHDOWNS! He wants revenge on us? Hey Matt...WIN your remaining games baby!

The only time I recall butts remaining in seats through the 4th quarter is the game is so close it could go either way.

I don't know what section you sit in but the colts game has been the only game this year where I've seen a ton of jerseys of the opposite team. I was expecting everyone to bust out the VY jerseys.. but hell no section 136 was chanting VY sucks during commercial breaks hehe.

I think maybe since it was a MNF game, the Texans fans didn't want any titans fans there at all which was a great, and effective idea...once we lost, (again) most fans were fed up and sold or gave away tickets where the colts fans scooped em up...but yeah, a lot of colt fans were there. I was embarrassed and mad at the same time with colt fan yucking it up...next home game though is Battle Bag Day so long as no one snatches my paper bag I should be better while incognito.

I think maybe since it was a MNF game, the Texans fans didn't want any titans fans there at all which was a great, and effective idea...once we lost, (again) most fans were fed up and sold or gave away tickets where the colts fans scooped em up...but yeah, a lot of colt fans were there. I was embarrassed and mad at the same time with colt fan yucking it up...next home game though is Battle Bag Day so long as no one snatches my paper bag I should be better while incognito.

Oh man.. if the wheels come off we so need to run the battle bag day on the last game..

I had a choice....wait until the enormous line cleared out and watch our players continue to embarrass themselves and our fans by shooting the bird and walking off the field in total embarrassment OR stand in a line going nowhere fast.

I chose to stand in line and I got lucky when they opened a contra-flow lane!!

So just to make sure I understand... a bunch of fans who cheer the team when they're winning, then turn around and boo them or walk out when they're losing, are upset about being called "fairweathered" fans?

I feel your pain. I really do.

Ok, no. I'm actually laughing at you. :ahhaha:

Well this will get me hated, but I agree with Schaub. I have sat through 78 games now with the Texans and only left early once when my wife was nauseated/sick. I am a transplant to Houston - 16 years - and have heard or seen thousands of statements/posts about "bandwagon" Cowboys fans (my former team since the inception of the Texans). Well they are a friggin' lot more loyal than Houston fans. Boos at games, making up crap about players on MB's after losses, leaving the game before it is over. My buddy I took to this last game commented to me midway through the 4th, "look at all the Texans jerseys leaving."

I don't boo my team during the game. I don't leave early. I will come on here and analyze but I am not going to make crap up to criticize. I don't mind anyone analyzing plays/decisions and criticizing what is clearly a flawed team. I have a very low respect for the Houston fan base at this point.

Stay for the whole game. That simple. Although screw it, when y'all leave early it makes it easier for those of us that stay to get out AFTER the game.

I listened to the clip after seeing eriadoc's thread and I have to say pretty much the same thing. Should Matt have said that? Maybe not, for the way it's perceived - but I didn't take it nearly as harshly as I thought I was going to. I didn't hear it as whining or him deflecting blame.

I'm not a season ticket holder but when I'm there I've never left a game early and I don't boo my team. As a one-time college athlete I know how much fan support means, whether I'm getting paid a million dollars or a trip to Burger King afterward. No matter how much bank these guys make they are people just like you or I.

I understand that we pay money and want to feel like we are getting a return for that expenditure, but spending money doesn't in turn entitle you to act like an asshole about it.

And I'm not calling out any one in particular and I'm not calling you a jerk if you leave early (I wouldn't but hey that's me), but I do know I have been to games - even an Ohio State game earlier this year where they beat Illinois 30-0 - and felt genuinely embarrassed for some of the conduct I witness.

Last edited:
I understand that we pay money and want to feel like we are getting a return for that expenditure, but spending money doesn't in turn entitle you to act like an asshole about it.

See, now that I agree with. If you pay money to be at a game and then boo, flip players off, heckle, and/or act like a jackass, then this applies and you ought to be tossed. But leaving a game? That's just a simple consumer decision, and there's nothing wrong with it, especially when the team has trained its fans to know what's coming.

Acting like an asshole is calling your fans out on the radio. And for those who haven't bothered to listen to the link, skip forward to the call at about 16 minutes.

What, did he prove me wrong for leaving early or something? I caught the final score at home....looked like the Colts won but who am I to compare things like numbers on a scoreboard?

My fault for leaving early Matt. Also, my fault for missing those 2 kicks. My fault for turning Stevie Wonder into Stevie Fumbler. My fault for throwing a ball into double coverage when SS was in the flat screaming for the ball. My fault for the defense sucking worse than anything has ever sucked on a professional football field for the first 3 games. My fault for having a crying ass corner back who literally can't make a play that falls into his lap. My fault for the Texans OL turning back into the....Texans OL. My fault for signing Chris Brown. My fault for promoting a guy who wasn't ready to OC and then sticking with him even though he's clearly been a detriment. My fault....

Acting like an asshole is calling your fans out on the radio. And for those who haven't bothered to listen to the link, skip forward to the call at about 16 minutes.

Better yet, open up TxDavid's link below. It's edited so that no one has to skip ahead. It's just audio from the phone call.

Here's a clip of the broadcast where he talks about being a true fan.

Schaub's opinion

This is absurd.

I can't believe people are complaining about spending their "hard earned money" as if it entitles them to wins. It doesn't. You're a fan of the Texans, you should know what to expect.

This season we've played in only 1 real blowout--the Jets game. Every other game has been fun throughout at least part of the 4th quarter. We've been excrutiatingly close in 4 of our 6 losses. We were winning the Colts game in the 4th quarter.

Spending money on your team does NOT mean you deserve wins. In my opinion, it means you deserve to see good football. It means you deserve entertainment.

The Texans are playing good football and are entertaining fans. We may not be winning, but we're competitive and fun to watch.

Should Schaub have called out the fans? No, probably not. But all this complaining about how the fans are sacrificing their money and time and getting nothing in return is total bs

Yeah, Schaub's clarification of his initial statement is what pisses me off. The "you're not a true fan" BS is lame. You know what? I'm pulling out my own entitlement card. After what I've done to stand by this team over the years, I'm entitled to "true fan" status. And Schaub and anyone else that has a different opinion can kiss my ass. That whole routine of calling out someone's "fanhood" is BS.

This is absurd.

I can't believe people are complaining about spending their "hard earned money" as if it entitles them to wins. It doesn't. You're a fan of the Texans, you should know what to expect.

It doesn't entitle you to wins, but it should entitle you to not have to hear the loser QB tell you that you aren't a true fan because you didn't stick around to watch him do his best Rosenfels impersonation.

Spending money on your team does NOT mean you deserve wins. In my opinion, it means you deserve to see good football. It means you deserve entertainment.

OK, cool. So when the football is no longer good (about 30 minutes each game), you can get up and leave. When you're no longer being entertained, you can get up and leave. I think we're on the same page after all.

Yeah, Schaub's clarification of his initial statement is what pisses me off. The "you're not a true fan" BS is lame. You know what? I'm pulling out my own entitlement card. After what I've done to stand by this team over the years, I'm entitled to "true fan" status. And Schaub and anyone else that has a different opinion can kiss my ass. That whole routine of calling out someone's "fanhood" is BS.

This I agree with.

The "true fan" stuff is by far the most annoying insult in sports.

I dunno.... I've only left one game early. It involved an 18 inning Astros playoff game. Other than that, I've remained in the stadium until the teams leave the field. I don't begrudge those that do leave early, but by the same token don't be surprised if you get called out for it.

Just sayin'.

I dunno.... I've only left one game early. It involved an 18 inning Astros playoff game. Other than that, I've remained in the stadium until the teams leave the field. I don't begrudge those that do leave early, but by the same token don't be surprised if you get called out for it.

Just sayin'.

Quitter. I was in that stadium for like 6.5 hours straight that day -- guess I'm the only real fan here.

This may be somewhere else on this board but I thought this might be a good place for a radio commentary (listen to the whole thing):

610 Whiner Line

Just sayin'.

Hell. I believe in staying until the game ends, but at the same time I think Schuab and the rest of the team need to realize that some will get up and walk out if they keep giving away games they are capable of winning.

I believe every Texan fan since the beginning, particularly from the Oiler days, understands a game meltdown to blow a lead and have learned to accept what happens on the field.

The issue here isn't what happened on field. It is what Schaub said after the game.

I think you are missing a fine point here.

After the Monday Night game, I said in the parking lot, every Texan player should be required to take a course to understand the psyche of a Texan fan, including a thorough understanding of the meaning of "Oilered It".

I was not on aboard for the Schaub trade but kept an open mind.

Up to this point, I have been patient in forming my opinion.

These statements by Schaub is something like the pick and six he threw in the game against the Colts. Schaub, on the field, appears to have mental lapses, can't read a defense, and forces throws for ints.

A QB has to make good decisions all the time, and what he said was very STUPID. THOSE STATEMENTS WERE A SET UP TO A NO WIN SITUATION!

Anyone can parse the words and interpret how Schaub said these statements, but he shouldn't have said it. I understand where is coming from and his perspective, but that was just a poor decision to take things there at this time with the fans.

Schaub's decision making is suspect from time to time on the field, now it seems it is carrying over to off the field.

Just sayin'.

I hear ya, Bill. I just don't think the QB who threw the game ending pick6 should be the one doing the calling out. he needs to worry more about not sucking so bad late in games if you ask me.

I hear ya, Bill. I just don't think the QB who threw the game ending pick6 should be the one doing the calling out. he needs to worry more about not sucking so bad late in games if you ask me.

True. He needs to worry about on-field stuff. But by the same token, I'm with Cak on this. People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

It's simply the mob mentality at work right now. This time next week, if the Texans win, Schaub throws for 300+, multiple TD's and no turn overs, this will be quickly forgotten.

He needs to worry about on-field stuff. But by the same token, I'm with Cak on this. People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

It's simply the mob mentality at work right now. This time next week, if the Texans win, Schaub throws for 300+, multiple TD's and no turn overs, this will be quickly forgotten.

This is a legit discussion, but our QB should not be in the middle of it.

Poor decision making by Schaub to stick his nose into this discussion.

This situation has been a sticking point for years and is a common critique of Houston fans in general.

So Schaub should stay out of the discussion!

This is a legit discussion, but our QB should not be in the middle of it.

Poor decision making by Schaub to stick his nose into this discussion.

This situation has been a sticking point for years, and is a common critique of Houston fans in general, so Schaub should stay out of it!

Absolutely 100% agree.

Hell. I believe in staying until the game ends, but at the same time I think Schuab and the rest of the team need to realize that some will get up and walk out if they keep giving away games they are capable of winning.

This is not directed at you, but I want to expand on what you've posted.

If my team is getting severely beaten, why do I have to stay?

Why do I have to subject myself to every last drop of misery that's being hurled upon my team and upon me?

Players and coaches are required to stay until the final whistle. I am not. Let's be clear: THEY are the ones who are getting their butts kicked. THEY are the ones on the field who can change things, or at least do better than just brain-farting the game away because they don't know how to "get over the top" as Kubiak likes to call it.

Are we kidding ourselves into thinking that one of those players is going to look up into the stands, see that I am still there, and somehow draw the necessary inspiration to pull off a win for ME? LOL. If so, then give ME a portion of their salary. We all need a cut of their paycheck since it's so important for us to hold their hand through the tough times.

Therefore, it makes not one shred of sense to say that a true fan stays until the end no matter what. Maybe it's a personality thing. My own belief system is that my team is going to play the way it plays no matter if there is ONE fan in the stands or the entire stadium is full of so-called diehard fans.

My team doesn't become less of "my team" if I am at home and I choose to turn off the TV because "my team" once again does the predictable. My choice to refrain from becoming even MORE angry by staying and watching is the wise choice for ME. I'm taking an active role in deciding that enough is enough for the day.

A smart NFL quarterback, after playing the way he played vs. the Colts this past Sunday, would have said the following: "I am a player, and so it's hard for me to say what's right and what's not in terms of how a fan stays or leaves a game. I can't control that. I have to play my best and focus on that. I can understand how the fans feel. We're unhappy, too, and we're trying very hard to fix things."

A little empathy by a multi-millionaire NFL QB, toward the fans who PAY to see him play a GAME, would have been nice. Matt needs to focus on changing what HE can change, as well as changing those around him.

Andre Johnson, as far as I am concerned, is a GREAT wide receiver who has GREAT stats. But he, too, has hurt this team with drops and going zombie when things aren't going our way.

I don't feel sorry for this team. I don't feel that I am a bad fan. I don't think ANY of you are bad fans, either. And frankly, some of you need to stop copping to that plea.

True. He needs to worry about on-field stuff. But by the same token, I'm with Cak on this. People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

I think this will go away eventually but Schaub said what he said and he needs to realize that he needs to shut his mouth and play football. Don't tell us how to be fans when you are such an embarassment as a team. He is wrong too. If your team is down 15 points and there is 2 minutes left and you have already lost a 17 point lead, I think its fine if a fan wants to leave early to beat the traffic. I may be in the minority but I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that as a fan.

Until the Texans become a team that people can believe in and then have that belief rewarded, the Texans are going to have problems.

I have a bigger problem with fans not showing up until mid-1st Quarter. That is worse than leaving early imho. That is a problem we definitely have as a fanbase and I blame the great tailgating. It keeps you in the parking lot till the last minute. You gotta down that last beer and that last piece of BBQ so you don't have to spend $8 for a beer inside.

Everyone needs to chill the heck out. For those of y'all who didn't actually hear what he said, it's not that bad.

If you listen to just the clip where he talks about fair weather fans, the guy who called in basically attacks Matt Schaub pure and simple. "What makes you think we want to sit through that?" "What the hell do you guys do at halftime?"

And what he says in response is really not that bad, and it's not even that far from the truth. All he says is "If you don't stick with your team through the good times and bad, you're not a real fan." What about that statement exactly is incorrect?

And what would you say if you were nice enough to take time out of your day to talk to the general public and then you got attacked for it? I think his comments are being blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion here.

Moreover, I can understand the frustration with losing the game. But who says the players gave up? They were still trying to win until the end. We scored a TD that wasn't necessarily meaningless near the end of the game.

Last edited:
I don't get tickets that often. I think I average 1 game a year. So, because of that, I always get in my seat early and stay until well after the final whistle to enjoy it while I can. I want to avoid heading back to bumville for as long as possible (ATX).

I have been there for great moments, like the David Carr dive over the goal line to win over Carolina years ago.

I was there for the misery of coming ALL THE WAY back against the Titans only to have Bironas kick that last field goal.

I was also present and in the sun for that broiling day when the Steelers came in and demolished us and it was scorching with the roof open. (I believe that game caused the whole roof rule they have now.)

I have stayed for every game start to finish that I have had a ticket. ****I AM NOT SAYING THIS TO PROVE MY FANDOM IS BIGGER THAN ANYONE ELSE******** What I am saying, is that I stayed to enjoy the experience of getting to see my favorite NFL team even though they got their collective pee-pee's kicked in on some games.

If I had season tix and came all the time to games like clockwork, I gotta admit, I'd probably bolt too. We've all seen the same song and dance how many times? :kitten:

I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave. It's frustrating to see what happened Sunday over and over and over again. I do wish fans would be in their seats on time before the game. But if the team sharts its pants on the field, well, you paid for the tickets, you can leave if you want. I can understand Schaub being hacked off about it, but he ought to check himself before he bites the hand that feeds him.

Everyone needs to chill the heck out. For those of y'all who actually heard what he said, it's not that bad.

If you listen to just the clip where he talks about fair weather fans, the guy who called in basically attacks Matt Schaub pure and simple. "What makes you think we want to sit through that?" "What the hell do you guys do at halftime?"

It's really not that bad, and it's not even that far from the truth. All he says is "If you don't stick through your team through the good times and bad, you're not a real fan." What about that statement exactly is incorrect?
I think his comments are being blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion here.

Moreover, I can understand the frustration with losing the game. But who says the players gave up? They were still trying to win until the end. We scored a TD that wasn't necessarily meaningless near the end of the game.

Because it's subjective rubbish to try and define exactly who is a real fan and who isn't.

And for the QB to try and make that distinction on a radio show, after a really bad loss, is just foolish beyond all understanding. And I know about saying foolish things, trust me.

He didn't do any good by sayig it. There were other answers he could have given if he would have tried. But it appears, as someone has already said, that his bad on-field decision making is now drifting over into his interviews.

I keep debating whether to renew SundayTicket every year. I keep saying that I should save the money and not get it again until I can clearly see that the atmosphere and attitude of this team has definitely changed and has swung toward being a true contender. I can catch some of the games on the local channels when they choose to air them here, and perhaps check up on the other games via the websites, etc.

I guess I would be called a bad fan for utilizing my finances in a more efficient manner. Maybe Matt could help me figure out what type of fan I am.

And there's a reason why I have stuck with my signature image.

I made it and had it displayed BEFORE the big win streak we went on ealrier this season.

It was tempting to take it down. It looked like we were doing better.

But I kept it, because I had a feeling that we were not going to perform well once we hit the first Colts game in Indy. And I was right.

Look at my signature. THAT says it all. A father and his son, marveling at the vast cosmos and searching for their favorite star...only to find out that it's wayyyyy away from the other stars where it should be.

I ached the day we blew the 35-3 lead in Buffalo. I ached the day the team was stolen from Houston. I didn't watch NFL football until we got our new team. I have watched nearly every game on TV in some form or fashion. I wear my jersey and cap, proudly, in public and know that I will catch crap from some people for it. I buy SundayTicket. I come here. I draft our team's players for my FFL team because I believe in them.

Losing hurts. Being called out by the team's QB, even if it's only a minor call-out, is baffling to me. He's shown that things are in his head that shouldn't be. I can't control his passes and where they land. He can't control if I leave or turn off the TV early. For me, his remarks are very telling.

People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

This is what I don't understand. The context is pretty simple - Matt's making judgments on what is and isn't a "true fan". Hell, Hines Ward was more subtle in calling out Big Ben than this guy was in calling out the fans that left early.

Just so we're all clear on the context, here's the transcript of the call/comment, minus the part about the halftime adjustments. And allow me to say that Caller Steve is a jackass, and is in no way excused for his tone and behavior on the phone.

Marc Vandermeer: Yeah Steve, you're on.

John Lopez: Go for it.

Caller Steve: OK, I got a question here. First of all, what makes you think we're gonna wanna sit through a bad game 'till the end? I mean, starts off fine, it's like a movie that you paid for - you're not gonna sit through the end of it if the ending's terrible. <second part of question about halftime adjustments omitted>

Matt Schaub: For the first part of your question, you know uhhh, if you're a fan of the game and a fan of the team, you should stand behind 'em, you know, good, bad, or indifferent. And if you, uhhh, you know, you don't want to be a fair weather fan. If you just want to be there when it's good, then you're not a true fan.

Now, how exactly is that taken out of context? The sad truth is, this team has no fair weather fans, because there's been no fair weather! So for Matt Schaub to make any sort of judgment about this city's fans is either ignorant or stupid. And who the hell is he to talk about what a "true fan" is? He and all his loser teammates ought to be thankful for any fans this team has because, as mentioned before, there's been no fair weather. We've sat through garbage football, we've sat through mediocre football, and we've sat through games that had good football in them for brief periods of time. We sat through a game that had ~55 minutes of great football with the Colts last year, only to watch the last 5 minutes erode any positives they accomplished. And then Sunday, they tried to re-enact that game!

Someone, please - tell me when I missed the fair weather, because if there's been any, I sure as hell missed it.

we need to become a better fan base road team

i wanted to go to the Jags game

or maybe even the st louis game thoes tickets are cheap .....

Browns fan mostly stick around in the 4th

Seahawk fans stick around

bills fans stick around

KC fans stick around

I agree with matt

we just have alot of casual fans thats all

You must not watch a lot of NFL, because I see empty stadiums on tv for many of the bottom dwelling teams, including those you have mentioned. I could research it for you, but I do not have the time or inclination to prove what I already know to be true.

What, did he prove me wrong for leaving early or something? I caught the final score at home....looked like the Colts won but who am I to compare things like numbers on a scoreboard?

My fault for leaving early Matt. Also, my fault for missing those 2 kicks. My fault for turning Stevie Wonder into Stevie Fumbler. My fault for throwing a ball into double coverage when SS was in the flat screaming for the ball. My fault for the defense sucking worse than anything has ever sucked on a professional football field for the first 3 games. My fault for having a crying ass corner back who literally can't make a play that falls into his lap. My fault for the Texans OL turning back into the....Texans OL. My fault for signing Chris Brown. My fault for promoting a guy who wasn't ready to OC and then sticking with him even though he's clearly been a detriment. My fault....

Damn you, TimeKiller! All this time I have believed Kubiak when he says that it's all his fault! Now the truth comes out!! :shades:

This thread is indicative of what 8 straight years of suck will do to a fanbase.

My take on Schaub's comments is who give's a rat's ass??! Seriously, this is just another sorry chapter in a gigantic Pop-up Book of Suck. This franchise has failed since the beginning (even before they played a game they waste a first round expansion pick on Tony Boselli?!), so none of this surprises me any more. I am hating the team I love, but what can I do? I'm a Houston Texans fan, and I am starting to realize the agony of what Saints fans lived for their first 20 years of existence.

Especially when it comes from the loser QB.

Wow.. which team are you a fan of....sounds like you are talking about Jay Culter or someone...If I hated or thought my QB was such a "loser QB", I probably wouldn't be a fan of that team. #kanyeshrug

Fan-ness is a interesting concept. Does being a fan=being loyal? If so, what is loyalty?

This is not directed at you, but I want to expand on what you've posted.

If my team is getting severely beaten, why do I have to stay?

Why do I have to subject myself to every last drop of misery that's being hurled upon my team and upon me?

Players and coaches are required to stay until the final whistle. I am not. Let's be clear: THEY are the ones who are getting their butts kicked. THEY are the ones on the field who can change things, or at least do better than just brain-farting the game away because they don't know how to "get over the top" as Kubiak likes to call it.

Are we kidding ourselves into thinking that one of those players is going to look up into the stands, see that I am still there, and somehow draw the necessary inspiration to pull off a win for ME? LOL. If so, then give ME a portion of their salary. We all need a cut of their paycheck since it's so important for us to hold their hand through the tough times.

Therefore, it makes not one shred of sense to say that a true fan stays until the end no matter what. Maybe it's a personality thing. My own belief system is that my team is going to play the way it plays no matter if there is ONE fan in the stands or the entire stadium is full of so-called diehard fans.

My team doesn't become less of "my team" if I am at home and I choose to turn off the TV because "my team" once again does the predictable. My choice to refrain from becoming even MORE angry by staying and watching is the wise choice for ME. I'm taking an active role in deciding that enough is enough for the day.

A smart NFL quarterback, after playing the way he played vs. the Colts this past Sunday, would have said the following: "I am a player, and so it's hard for me to say what's right and what's not in terms of how a fan stays or leaves a game. I can't control that. I have to play my best and focus on that. I can understand how the fans feel. We're unhappy, too, and we're trying very hard to fix things."

A little empathy by a multi-millionaire NFL QB, toward the fans who PAY to see him play a GAME, would have been nice. Matt needs to focus on changing what HE can change, as well as changing those around him.

Andre Johnson, as far as I am concerned, is a GREAT wide receiver who has GREAT stats. But he, too, has hurt this team with drops and going zombie when things aren't going our way.

I don't feel sorry for this team. I don't feel that I am a bad fan. I don't think ANY of you are bad fans, either. And frankly, some of you need to stop copping to that plea.
Very good post. See it all began a long time ago with the team known as the University of A&M. Some ***** created the 12th man and since then fans begin to believe they play a role in what the team does on the field. It is the "my ego is so big that I can not just sit and watch the game, I have to BE the game." I think some folks theory is "if I ain't drunk, cussing and loud, then i can't be enjoying the game.

After reading all 7 pages of this (thus far), there are a couple of trends I see developing and felt compelled to address.

1. Schaub did nothing wrong - I respectfully disagree. IMHO, after listening to the whole thing, I felt Schaub may mean well, but he SHOULD have bit his lip on EVER calling out ANY fan. Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, it's an area into which he should NOT venture. I felt he was out-of-line, especially given the amount of support this mediocre team has received. The Texans don't have a lousy home record this season due to lack of fan support.

2. "Real Fans" - I hear this phrase every year and it's getting tiresome. While I stay to the bitter end, I'm a die-hard and that's just me. The paying customer has the right to boo, yell, and leave at their discretion. All this garbage about "you never hear this in Pittsburgh, K.C., etc." is just that... GARBAGE. If you've never heard a fanbase boo ANY of the 32 teams, I suggest you are listening with jaded ears. (The same goes for blowout wins OR losses - it happes at ALL stadiums)

This team has never finished over .500, and can't seem to play two halves this season. Our QB looks like the "golden arm" when he's protected and has a well-defined pocket, but under duress (like many other QB's), he deterioates rapidly and predictably. Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

Last edited:
Browns fan mostly stick around in the 4th

Seahawk fans stick around

bills fans stick around

KC fans stick around

I agree with matt

we just have alot of casual fans thats all

KC's stadium was probably 30% empty for teh Steelers game and half the fans that were at the game were Steelers fans.

Bill's fans have had some issues and they will leave early too.

All fans will leave early when they know the outcome. Don't act like Houston fans aren't good fans because we are. We show up a bit late but I blame that on tailgating, traffic, and church more than anything else.

If you were at the Titans game on MNF, you wouldn't say we don't have good fans. They were there through thick and thin and stayed till the end. Their reward? A shanked field goal, another loss in a big game, and almost 2 hours to get out of the parking lot.

After reading all 7 pages of this (thus far), there are a couple of trends I see developing and felt compelled to address.

1. Schaub did noting wrong - I respectfully disagree. IMHO, after listening to the whole thing, I felt Schaub may mean well, but he SHOULD have bit his lip on EVER calling out ANY fan. Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, it's an area into which he should NOT venture. I felt he was out-of-line, especially given the amount of support this mediocre team has received. The Texans don't have a lousy home record this season due to lack of fan support.

2. "Real Fans" - I hear this phrase every year and it's getting tiresome. While I stay to the bitter end, I'm a die-hard and that's just me. The paying customer has the right to boo, yell, and leave at their discretion. All this garbage about "you never hear this in Pittsburgh, K.C., etc." is just that... GARBAGE. If you've never heard a fanbase boo ANY of the 32 teams, I suggest you are listening with jaded ears. (The same goes for blowout wins OR losses - it happes at ALL stadiums)

This team has never finished over .500, and can't seem to play two halves this season. Our QB looks like the "golden arm" when he's protected and has a well-defined pocket, but under duress (like many other QB's), he deterioates rapidly and predictably. Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

Yep.

I think he was just saying for the fans to stick it out with them because it does matter to them but just went about it the wrong way.

Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

You don't think his first pick, thrown 15 yards away from the nearest Texan, was his fault?

The pick 6 was a bad read, but that one was pure "WTF".

KC's stadium was probably 30% empty for teh Steelers game and half the fans that were at the game were Steelers fans.

Bill's fans have had some issues and they will leave early too.

All fans will leave early when they know the outcome. Don't act like Houston fans aren't good fans because we are. We show up a bit late but I blame that on tailgating, traffic, and church more than anything else.

If you were at the Titans game on MNF, you wouldn't say we don't have good fans. They were there through thick and thin and stayed till the end. Their reward? A shanked field goal, another loss in a big game, and almost 2 hours to get out of the parking lot.

Exactly.

Although Houston does seem to have a large portion that ALWAYS leaves early which I will never understand.

You don't think his first pick, thrown 15 yards away from the nearest Texan, was his fault?

The pick 6 was a bad read, but that one was pure "WTF".

AJ ran the wrong route on the first one and AJ even said he ran the wrong route. It was a timing play and AJ was supposed to be there. You know with the members of this board we could resurrect the Salem Witch Trials around here.

i'll chime in with more of the same in that matt is absolutely right in what he said, and absolutely wrong for saying it. we've gone over it 100 times here that texans fans are incapable of being at their seats on time and even during wins cant manage to stay until the end, so this is nothing new - and it dang sure isnt like going to a movie. that being said, everybody in the organization knows better than to say anything derrogitory about the hands that feed them. as a losing franchise, it's the ones that do show up whether they leave early or not that are doing most to support the team. matt needed to stick to the gary kubiak "it's on me" handbook as all in the league are supposed to when giving a response.

I usually leave early when we're going to lose because there's nothing good about a bunch of angry/dissapointed/drunk fans all exiting the stadium at the same time. For that matter, i always leave early because my dad hates traffic in general. It doesn't make me a bad fan, because i'm as big of a fan as anyone, and have stuck it out despite these bad times we've had. Schaub needs to shut his piehole.

Back