Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub Calls Out the Fans

Well this will get me hated, but I agree with Schaub. I have sat through 78 games now with the Texans and only left early once when my wife was nauseated/sick. I am a transplant to Houston - 16 years - and have heard or seen thousands of statements/posts about "bandwagon" Cowboys fans (my former team since the inception of the Texans). Well they are a friggin' lot more loyal than Houston fans. Boos at games, making up crap about players on MB's after losses, leaving the game before it is over. My buddy I took to this last game commented to me midway through the 4th, "look at all the Texans jerseys leaving."

I don't boo my team during the game. I don't leave early. I will come on here and analyze but I am not going to make crap up to criticize. I don't mind anyone analyzing plays/decisions and criticizing what is clearly a flawed team. I have a very low respect for the Houston fan base at this point.

Stay for the whole game. That simple. Although screw it, when y'all leave early it makes it easier for those of us that stay to get out AFTER the game.

What's better , fans leaving early or staying in the parking lot until midway through the second quarter ?

Ok, I just listened to the quote on 610, and in no way did he use the term "fair weather fan". He was responding to a question that j Lopez asked him. Lopez asked what do you say to those fans out there hanging on a ledge, and Schaub responded by saying hang in there with us, don't leave early, don't get out of your seats, don't boo us...we aren't giving up and we don't want them to give up either.

It's less than five minutes into the show. Listen for yourself, and I don't think there will be too many people that believe it sounds as bad as it's being made to be.

I was quite pissed when I read this thread, but feel much better after listening to it.

BTW, still think this team sucks regardless of how he meant his comment!

This.

Sounds like most people here didn't bother to actually listen to the link provided. He is hardly calling anyone out. He is simply asking the fans to hang in there with the team even though they're down.

I understand where Matt is coming from. I like to see that from him. He is standing up for his team. No hard feelings from me.

If I'm paying all that money for PSLs and tickets, I'd damn well get there when I want and leave when I want. I held Oiler season tickets for almost 10 years. Sometimes I'd leave early, sometimes I'd just sit there with my friends and keep drinking for a while. Just depends on the mood, I suppose.

Even if Schaub did this, it doesn't bother me. Frankly, I think we got more things to worry about with this team than a player or two mouthing off.

With all this being typed, I WILL renew my tickets, and put my name on the upgrade list. I would like field level seats, please :)

Come August, all will be forgiven and we will be jonesing for football again. That is if we make it through the draft LOL

Well, what can I say; I was there till the bitter end! Granted I pretty much sat there with my jaw around my feet for the final one & a half quarters, but I was there. One of the visiting fans who sat behind us made it a point of taking his hat off to me and my cousin for staying until the final snap. He was a nice guy who was what an opposing fan should be ~ quiet and respectful.

Granted I hated to see the people file out early in the fourth quarter but that's their prerogative. The PSL holders in my section have paid a lot of money over the years and we really haven't gotten the return on our investment we'd like to see. Honestly, if the fans in my section didn't have to hold the PSL, the stands would probably look a lot different.

You know it’s a bad thing when the big screen has to encourage the fans to "Be the Home Field Advantage". Apparently, we aren't the home field advantage the Texans thought we'd be.

:wherewill The same place I always am at the 2:00 minute warning, one of the few remaining Texans fans in the stands!

Ok, I just listened to the quote on 610, and in no way did he use the term "fair weather fan". He was responding to a question that j Lopez asked him. Lopez asked what do you say to those fans out there hanging on a ledge, and Schaub responded by saying hang in there with us, don't leave early, don't get out of your seats, don't boo us...we aren't giving up and we don't want them to give up either. ...

Thanks for posting, I listened and didn't see the big deal. CnD - you stirrin' the pot?

J. Lopez: Talking to our fans here...what do you tell them?

Schaub: Talking to the fans, I would love for our fans to just hang in there with us, that we're gonna make those plays, that we're gonna finish this season off on a very positive note. And not get up out of your seats before the game's over, not leave the game, not boo us. Just hang in there with us, you know? We're all fighting to the end, we're not giving up, you know, we don't want them to give up on us either.

What the hell is wrong with that? He's absolutely RIGHT. It's disheartening to the players to see their fans bailing. Who knows what could have happened had we recovered the onsides kick? It's not over until the final seconds tick off the clock. Keep cheering, and they'll keep fighting. Show that you're a fan and not an observer.

He said the same thing this morning on 610am. Basically said you should stick with your team and not be "fair weathered fans"

My mistake .. he said "not a fair weathered fan" ... I was secretly listening at work ... don't tell my boss

Ok, I just listened to the quote on 610, and in no way did he use the term "fair weather fan". He was responding to a question that j Lopez asked him. Lopez asked what do you say to those fans out there hanging on a ledge, and Schaub responded by saying hang in there with us, don't leave early, don't get out of your seats, don't boo us...we aren't giving up and we don't want them to give up either.

It's less than five minutes into the show. Listen for yourself, and I don't think there will be too many people that believe it sounds as bad as it's being made to be.

I was quite pissed when I read this thread, but feel much better after listening to it.

The part where he used the term "fair weather fan" is 16 minutes into the show. He was responding to a caller that asked him "What makes you think we want to sit through that...."

He said the same thing this morning on 610am. Basically said you should stick with your team and not be "fair weathered fans"

We as fans don't have any control over how Schaub and his teammates play.

Matt doesn't have any control over how we react to how they play.

Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me.

Shut up and play then we'll show up and pay.

Toward the end of the show, a guy named Steve called in and gave the movie analogy as far as walking out early was concerned.

Matt said - minus the 'ya knows' and 'uhs', "A fan of the game and fan of the team should stand behind them good, bad, or indifferent. If you don't want to be a fair weather fan, if you just want to be there when it is good, then you aren't a true fan."

Timing is everything. I'm not saying that Matt is wrong in what he says, but his timing wasn't the greatest. Perhaps a thank you to the fans who stayed would have been easier to take rather than a put down to the fans who left. imho, no one on the Texans team should be putting down fans at this point in time.....If you can't say something nice, go shoot something and go back to work.

Caller (Steve from a mobile): What makes you think we're gonna sit through that game until the end? It starts off fine. It's like a movie that you pay for. You're not gonna sit through the end of it if the ending is terrible.

Schaub: If you're a fan of the game and a fan of the team, you should stand behind them good, bad or indifferent. You don't want to be a fair-weather fan. If you just want to be there when it's good, then you're not a true fan. So that's my reaction to that.

Again, he's absolutely right. You stay with your team through the bad times so you can enjoy the good times. You don't bail on your spouse or your kids or your friends when times are bad; don't bail on your team either. You can be angry, but don't be a quitter.

Do you really believe this? I find that nearly impossible to believe.

GO HYPERBOLE! :clap:

Yes I do. I belive the players dont understand the old time fans dislike for Bud, VY jock sniffers and anything that is Possum Holler in general.

McNair is begining to tread the fine line that Buds has already walked. This is when fans say I dont want to hear talk I want to See results or you can move the team if you want.

Dont believe me if you want but history says for continued support they need to start winning soon or the so called fair weathered fans will turn on the team. History is what it is.

Go ahead and bash me but be realistic.

PS I will be renewing my season tickets. If they play like they did Sunday I'll be leaving early next home game too. If that makes me a bad fan so be it but I'm tired of the SOS.

Right now Texans = Oilers poorly coached losers with alot of talent.

By the way Smithiak chose to sign D.O'Neal instead of M.McKenzie.

McKenzie is tearing it up against the Pats tonight. Great just Great I say.

Quit telling people how to be fans. That goes for Mr. Schaub or anyone else.

Just because you were decked out in Deep Steel Blue and I wasn't doesn't make you a better fan than me. Just because I have 3 personalized jerseys (one of each color) that run me damn near a grand and all you have is $5 t-shirts doesn't make me a better fan than you.

If someone leaves early, they're not less of a fan than the guy who stays. Let people be fans the way they want to be and not the way YOU want them to be.

As for Mr. Schaub, STFU and win a football game or two every now and again and you don't have to worry your precious little mind about what the fans are doing when you should be worrying about throwing weak ass floaters for a pick 6.

I just listened to the "fair weather fan" quote. Seems to me like Schaub got provoked and then he got an attitude with the caller. I can understand the comment in context.

Still doesn't change what I posted earlier.

I let my wife listen to the podcast with no forewarning of what she'd hear and when he got to the point of telling the fans not to leave before the game was over, she yelled at the computer something to the effect of the players should follow his advice. She's none too happy with the comment, and she listened to it completely blind. So yeah, it comes across bad.

As for staying to the bitter end, I used to do that. One day I realized, to paraphrase Herv, I already knew the ending. I don't give the team anymore money now, and I don't begrudge anyone who leaves early. I think this team needs to earn some loyalty.

Screw Matt Schaub. I'm all for drafting his replacement now.

Again, he's absolutely right. You stay with your team through the bad times so you can enjoy the good times. You don't bail on your spouse or your kids or your friends when times are bad; don't bail on your team either. You can be angry, but don't be a quitter.

:bravo: Thank you for this post...I think some folks do bail on their spouse and kids....when times get hard...look at the divorce rate and all of the bad ass kids out there.

ETA: For those people wishing to bail on the Texans in 2010...I am willing to buy your platinum parking pass, lol.

I feel better about what he said after seeing it second time but his out cry does not bother me one bit. He has a right to say how he feels and as fans what either do our own thing or take some notes and do what he would like us do. We have that option but noone else on this planet makes that choise for us. If Matt wants to vent let him vent just like we do hear on this board. He probably doesn't mean any harm at all. Well, I don't think so. On the other hand though we get to do whatever we want to do as long as it is within the rule of law. Right? I don't know about you but I feel there are much bigger fish to fry with this team. I don't give a rats ass what Matt has to say not for one split second in my life. We need a freaking HC who would win close football games and have his own team ready to go from the on set period. They better knock off this Twitter BS asking fans to hang in there and still support them. They are right there on the verge of winning big games and becoming an elite teams. I'm so cotton picking sick and tierd this crap after EIGHT damn seasons of flat out HELL with this team it's just unreal IMO. SHUT UP AND JUST FIND WAYS TO WIN FLAT OUT FOOTBALL GAMES IT'S WHAT YOU ALL ARE FREAKING PAID TO DO GOD DOG IT

I stayed matty

and i agree with u it makes us look like suckas when we leave the stadium

there are alot of casual houston sports fans tho so it didnt surprise me

so people just dont acctually "enjoy" watching football good or bad

Browns fan mostly stick around in the 4th

Seahawk fans stick around

bills fans stick around

KC fans stick around

I agree with matt

we just have alot of casual fans thats all

"We are not giving up"??????????????????? Anyone watching the latter part of this last game..................

Thanks for posting, I listened and didn't see the big deal. CnD - you stirrin' the pot?

Stirrin' the pot???????? I make no apologies for starting this thread based on the previously posted Schaub comments (x 2). Let him and the "others" not get paid for every game they perform poorly in or lose..............and not complain about.............let them be placed in a position to be paid on the principal of the fare-weather player. See how long that lasts. I have been a staunch fan of both NFL teams here in Houston, and I certainly have earned the right point out comments that "call me out as a fan."

Parts of those comments were not only inappropriate under the circumstances, but in themselves predictably incendiary to stirring a pot which should have been left alone entirely.

Besides, what's so ****ing brilliant about continually paying for a crappy product? What other business model gets away with that crap?

so people are in for thick and thin throw the good times and bad times

it what fans of 32 teams do every Sunday its the NFL .....

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why coaches like Kubiak and athletes stick to boring, bland, cliche answers when they're dealing with fans or the media. It's safer. Kubiak knows that he could easily get emotional with the questions he gets, but he controls himself, and tosses out dull-ass answers.

Same thing with most athletes. Nine times out of ten, when an athlete speaks, we're going to hear "we need to be more consistent" and "we needs to finish games" blah, blah blah.

Situations like this is why. I don't think Matt meant any harm, but he sure has hell caused a storm. Bob Allen on Channel 13 talked about it AGAIN on the newscast tonight.

"We are not giving up"??????????????????? Anyone watching the latter part of this last game..................

Stirrin' the pot???????? I make no apologies for starting this thread based on the previously posted Schaub comments (x 2). Let him and the "others" not get paid for every game they perform poorly in or lose..............and not complain about.............let them be placed in a position to be paid on the principal of the fare-weather player. See how long that lasts. I have been a staunch fan of both NFL teams here in Houston, and I certainly have earned the right point out comments that "call me out as a fan."

Parts of those comments were not only inappropriate under the circumstances, but in themselves predictably incendiary to stirring a pot which should have been left alone entirely.

C-n-D

You need to talk to Schaub about pressure and having a bad day at the office.

He probably wouldn't understand.

BTW - There's another football team down the road that had lots of fans leave in the fourth quarter as well - but you don't hear their QB complaining about it. They had a pretty big lead at halftime too, but ended up winning their game 73-14.
I guess Houston's real professional football team plays over at Cullen Blvd.

Besides, what's so ****ing brilliant about continually paying for a crappy product? What other business model gets away with that crap?

Good ?

When the going gets tough Schaub finds a way to deflect the blame.

I wouldn't blame Schaub too much for saying this. He's frustrated with the team, too.

And sad.

schaubfaceEDIT2.jpg

I agree. Listen to it before you make your judgements. I was initially pretty ticked off, but once I listened to it he wasn't calling us out. He was pleading with the fans to not give up hope because they haven't. This being said, I haven't listened to the whole thing so there might be more later.

I've never left early. You never know what might happen.

I agree. Listen to it before you make your judgements. I was initially pretty ticked off, but once I listened to it he wasn't calling us out. He was pleading with the fans to not give up hope because they haven't. This being said, I haven't listened to the whole thing so there might be more later.

This city should certainly know about staying until the end. 35-3 ring a bell? Bills fans started pouring out after the Dishman interception, only to frantically beg to be let back in an hour later.

I wasn't upset about the first set till he took a question from the fan and then let it lose on the fan about leaving. Seriously on a 3 game losing streak and throwing a pick 6, which is pretty much sealing off your playoff chances.. and you look this BAD in the second half.. He's lucky they didn't burn down the stadium.. but unfortunately a lot of fans now expect this, there is no more upset in the tunnels in the walk down, just dead silence.. Yet even then this team had the support the entire first half, we got loud, we even tried in the second half.. the pick 6 just killed it.

This city should certainly know about staying until the end. 35-3 ring a bell? Bills fans started pouring out after the Dishman interception, only to frantically beg to be let back in an hour later.

Nah, its never happened, so when I left...I had iced cold beer and brisket that didn't and will never let me down.

I feel better about what he said after seeing it second time but his out cry does not bother me one bit. He has a right to say how he feels and as fans what either do our own thing or take some notes and do what he would like us do. We have that option but noone else on this planet makes that choise for us. If Matt wants to vent let him vent just like we do hear on this board. He probably doesn't mean any harm at all. Well, I don't think so. On the other hand though we get to do whatever we want to do as long as it is within the rule of law. Right? I don't know about you but I feel there are much bigger fish to fry with this team. I don't give a rats ass what Matt has to say not for one split second in my life. We need a freaking HC who would win close football games and have his own team ready to go from the on set period. They better knock off this Twitter BS asking fans to hang in there and still support them. They are right there on the verge of winning big games and becoming an elite teams. I'm so cotton picking sick and tierd this crap after EIGHT damn seasons of flat out HELL with this team it's just unreal IMO. SHUT UP AND JUST FIND WAYS TO WIN FLAT OUT FOOTBALL GAMES IT'S WHAT YOU ALL ARE FREAKING PAID TO DO GOD DOG IT

Ummm NO...Matt needs to be a professional. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Why do you think Kubiak is always saying "its on me" and doesn't call out his players on TV? Be a professional, man up and put out a better product. Matt, keep your emotions in check and do your freaking job!!

Ummm NO...Matt needs to be a professional. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Why do you think Kubiak is always saying "its on me" and doesn't call out his players on TV? Be a professional, man up and put out a better product. Matt, keep your emotions in check and do your freaking job!!
I listened to both quotes and he was VERY professional in each. He wasn't doing any biting nor was he emotional about it at all...seems its just the fans who want a bite.

If I had heard the Schaub interview, the comments probably wouldn't have caught my attention in a negative sense because, good bad or ugly, I hang around until the game ends. But that's just me, I take these things in stride the same as I did when the fans did file out and one of the Colt's fans stood up laughing and asking "where yall going?" By and large it's up to the individual as with who stands up throughout the game, who chooses to wear team colors, whatever, it's all a choice.

If I had heard the Schaub interview, the comments probably wouldn't have caught my attention in a negative sense because, good bad or ugly, I hang around until the game ends. But that's just me, I take these things in stride the same as I did when the fans did file out and one of the Colt's fans stood up laughing and asking "where yall going?" By and large it's up to the individual as with who stands up throughout the game, who chooses to wear team colors, whatever, it's all a choice.

You know, it's EMBARRASSING to see so many opposing team fans in our stadium each home game. They laugh at us when we lose and we high five them if we win. Too bad the opposition is not afraid to show their colors at OUR stadium. Then again, if it wasn't for them, maybe we wouldn't sell out every home game and the homers would be left watching the cowboys and Titans on TV.

You know, it's EMBARRASSING to see so many opposing team fans in our stadium each home game. They laugh at us when we lose and we high five them if we win. Too bad the opposition is not afraid to show their colors at OUR stadium. Then again, if it wasn't for them, maybe we wouldn't sell out every home game and the homers would be left watching the cowboys and Titans on TV.

I don't know what section you sit in but the colts game has been the only game this year where I've seen a ton of jerseys of the opposite team. I was expecting everyone to bust out the VY jerseys.. but hell no section 136 was chanting VY sucks during commercial breaks hehe.

Back