Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rebuilding this team

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This sounds like an excuse. Whose contract prevented the Texans from winning Super Bowls from 2002 to 2016 before DW4 even joined the team?
Excuse? That's simple math. 15%

Several factors,

1. RS doing a poor job (Poor drafting in rds 2-4 and drafting a QB for over a decade) for starters and not listening to Kubiak who wanted to wait to extend Schaub. (Stupidity) The Schaub contract didn't allow them to be players in the Manning sweepstakes and a member here in the know said Kubiak had Manning in the building and that he wanted to sign here. (More stupidity.) Getting jumped not once but twice for QB's the HC is rumored to have wanted.

2. Unlucky (Schaub got hurt in the season that the Texans had the best team they've ever had.)

3. Kubiak's conservatism.

4. Failure to be players in FA and being willing to take chances on guys with troubled pasts. Say a team like the Chiefs did. Kelce/Hill/Hunt/Frank Clark etc...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Never stated it was a recipe for immediate success. However, it is a recipe for reality. It's also a recipe for trying to take an ugly step without burying one's self up to the neck in shite. Bear in mind.....there's going to be shite traps everywhere in 2021. Try to stock the coffers with young inexpensive players now while giving them a season on the field to be better prepared for their jobs in the future as decent inexpensive depth personnel. Could good coaching wind up polishing some of this talent into adequate NFL talent? Sure they could, so its going to be a ride of patience for 2-3 more seasons. Texans will begin their turnaround with the 2022 and 2023 draft(s) provided they hold onto their picks.

I don't think there was any chance to get any solid picks from the Texans garage sale. RD5 and RD6 picks were going to be the flavor of the day b/c every team is going to cherish their 2021 draft picks like no other draft before.....thank you C-19. The Texans are just absolutely snakebit when it comes to timing with the NFL Gods.
How many PS guys turn into starters? Not many.

It was rumored that the Packers were willing to give up a 4th and a 5th for WFV. You dont think you could move up and find a couple of guys that could start with these picks?

High 3rd
High 4th plus 2 more 4ths
Two 5ths
Two 6ths

All for an injury prone WFV who's most likely not going to be re-signed next yr anyways. This doesn't even take into account the cap rollover savings.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Several factors,

1. RS doing a poor job (Poor drafting in rds 2-4 and drafting a QB for over a decade) for starters and not listening to Kubiak who wanted to wait to extend Schaub. (Stupidity) The Schaub contract didn't allow them to be players in the Manning sweepstakes and a member here in the know said Kubiak had Manning in the building and that he wanted to sign here. (More stupidity.) Getting jumped not once but twice for QB's the HC is rumored to have wanted.

2. Unlucky (Schaub got hurt in the season that the Texans had the best team they've ever had.)

4. Failure to be players in FA and being willing to take chances on guys with troubled pasts. Say a team like the Chiefs did. Kelce/Hill/Hunt/Frank Clark etc...
Reading this post, it seems you are saying there are factors like injuries, poor drafting, passing on players that are not "Texans worthy" and flat out stupidity that can prevent the Texans from winning the Super Bowl. In other words, there are several factors that can prevent a team from winning a Super Bowl and Watson's contract can be one of several factors? Correct?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Reading this post, it seems you are saying there are factors like injuries, poor drafting, passing on players that are not "Texans worthy" and flat out stupidity that can prevent the Texans from winning the Super Bowl. In other words, there are several factors that can prevent a team from winning a Super Bowl and Watson's contract can be one of several factors? Correct?
Yes,

The Texans are a stupid org and have been since there inception. I know some on here don't like me to use the S-word but that's the best description I can think to use.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
Hearing Cal talk about being an eternal optimist and us having a chance at a Wild card had me chuckling and crying at the same time. We aren’t a terrible franchise but we are perfectly mediocre. This team with this owner will never sniff a super bowl.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Duh.

That's been the point all along.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Hearing Cal talk about being an eternal optimist and us having a chance at a Wild card had me chuckling and crying at the same time. We aren’t a terrible franchise but we are perfectly mediocre. This team with this owner will never sniff a super bowl.

@thunderkyss asked .... what's wrong with winning a few along the way.

This is exactly what's wrong with winning a few along the way. It gives Cal and Co some belief in their position that this team isn't as bad as it seems.

It may in fact be worse than it seems

Texansballer74

The Marine
So if the right coaching comes in here and this team win 10+ and a deep run in the playoffs. Will your stance be the same? That’s if they keep the majority of these players.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
So if the right coaching comes in here and this team win 10+ and a deep run in the playoffs. Will your stance be the same? That’s if they keep the majority of these players.
Sure , I'll eat some crow if they make a deep run and don't get embarrassed when they face one of the top teams.

But beating some scrubs like last years Bills and then getting trounced in the divisional round or getting embarrassed at home like they did against the Colts two years ago .... No , I'll say they should have blown it up.

The odds of 10 wins next season is pretty remote even playing a 3rd place schedule .... \
The Titans are a solid , well coached team. They'll be at or near the top of the division.
The Colts are already pretty good too and have $76m to spend in FA in a depressed market.
The Jags are likely to get a top 2 draft pick and have $86m to spend in a depressed FA market.

The Texans have a bunch of bad contracts , little talent , no cap space and no top draft picks but some coach is suppose to come in and work miracles ? ....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The new coaching staff must be in the AFCCG within 2 years if you're going to hold them to the same standard as BOB was being held too by some on this MB.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sure , I'll eat some crow if they make a deep run and don't get embarrassed when they face one of the top teams.

But beating some scrubs like last years Bills and then getting trounced in the divisional round or getting embarrassed at home like they did against the Colts two years ago .... No , I'll say they should have blown it up.

The odds of 10 wins next season is pretty remote even playing a 3rd place schedule .... \
The Titans are a solid , well coached team. They'll be at or near the top of the division.
The Colts are already pretty good too and have $76m to spend in FA in a depressed market.
The Jags are likely to get a top 2 draft pick and have $86m to spend in a depressed FA market.

The Texans have a bunch of bad contracts , little talent , no cap space and no top draft picks but some coach is suppose to come in and work miracles ? ....
This seems to be the theme around here.

I can't wait to see this MB if the Texans hire say Bienemy and the Texans go say 7-9 or worse next year. I'll bet you he won't be held to the same standard some here held BoB too, which was AFCCG or bust.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
That's moving the goal post a bit .....

The original discussion was about a superstar WR being paid top dollar.

Now you are talking about essentially 5 players.

Yes , the strength of that team , along with Manning's smarts and ability was the number of weapons they had .... They had an embarrassment of riches offensively in Manning , Harrison , Wayne , Addai and Clark.
Addai was on a rookie deal. Harrison, Wayne, and Clark were among the highest paid at their positions. When Cardinals lost the SB, Fitz was one of the highest paid wrs in nfl. Same with Julio and Demaryous Thomas. Thats not to say you need a wr to be that, but its not a detriment as many would like to assume. Kelce was the highest paid te last year.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Several factors,

That last paragraph is the one. Justin Houston was a much better prospect than Brooks Reed and Peters was vs Kevin Johnson. They must get out of that mindset. The 3rd rd is chock full of 1st rd talent. Most have some issues

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Duh.

That's been the point all along.
That's the same sound and point I make when I read posts that simply state that with Watson's contract, the Texans cannot win a Super Bowl. Good to know that we finally agree there are several factors that goes into winning a Super Bowl. That's been my point all along.
:shades:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That's the same sound and point I make when I read posts that simply state that with Watson's contract, the Texans cannot win a Super Bowl. Good to know that we finally agree there are several factors that goes into winning a Super Bowl. That's been my point all along.
:shades:

Sure there's several factors that play into bringing home the ultimate prize.

Being able to put a quality team around your QB is definitely one of them and you have to have money free to do that. When you tie up ~20% of your cap space into one player , its damn hard to fill the other 54 roster spots with enough quality.

The magic number so far has been below 13.2% which , again was the very first year of the salary cap era - 1994.
I'd say that much history is pretty telling when we've had some really great QB's in that time period earn greater amounts and every one of them failed - Brady , Brees , Favre ,Warner , Aikman , Rodgers , Peyton , Eli , Roethlisberger , Wilson.
Every one of those guys won superbowls (19 among them).... Not a single one did it earning anything close to 13%.
They had to have money to spend on quality players around them.

Nope , its not the only thing but history shows its a starting point - That's why in this era of football the best chance most teams have to win it all is in their star QB's rookie deals , once they are playing in their second contracts , they tie up such large percentages of the cap that its just about impossible to put enough players around them.

The Texans mistake wasn't extending Watson , it was failing to take the impact of Covid on the cap into consideration. They paid him like the salary cap had continued its $10m per year gains.
If he won't reduce those cap hits in 22 & 23 they'll have a hard time putting much talent around him and that's a fact.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Does it matter? With the cap situation & draft capital we do not have, we're going into rebuild mode regardless.

I don't see anyway around it.

Yes , they'll cut or restructure some guys who don't have dead money.

This trade deadline was a chance to move some of those that did have dead money and cut the dead money significantly - Like Mercilus or Martin.

If Watt is off limits .... they'll have to look elsewhere for that cap space too.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The new coaching staff must be in the AFCCG within 2 years of you're going to hold them to the same standard as BOB was being held too by some on this MB.
This seems to be the theme around here.

I can't wait to see this MB if the Texthire say Bienemy and the Texans go say 7-9 or worse next year. I'll bet you he won't be held to the same standard some here held BoB top, which was AFCCG or bust.
I think I've been fair with BO'b, even though I voiced my disappointment in him as a coach, QB guru, offensive mind early in his tenure. Far as I'm concerned I was right back then & everything he did since affirms it.

I think this team will go through a major overhaul this offseason. But to me, getting rid of Watson, Tunsil, Howard, & our drafted rookies on rookie deals doesn't make sense.

Not that they're untouchable, but eating dead money for Watson & Tunsil doesn't make sense for 2021. & I don't think we can get high draft picks for our rookies on rookie deals.

Now if our next coach comes in & start treating our veterans like college rookies, I'm going to call him out as being a dumass.

If he starts ditching avg to below avg players to pay stupid money to avg or below avg players (like Keenum/Yates for Fitz, then Hoyer), I'm going to call him out as a dumass.

If he ditches his whole offseason program at halftime of game 1 (like changing QBs or making wholesale changes to the offense line) 3 years in a row, I'm going to call him out as a dumass.

If he ever challenges a play & we lose field position, down & distance, or an additional time out, I'm going to call him a dumass).

& if we under perform compared to similarly crappy teams in the AFC, I'm going to call him a dumass.

By the way, I really want Art Briles. Can't stop thinking about it since it was mentioned.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This trade deadline was a chance to move some of those that did have dead money and cut the dead money significantly - Like Mercilus or Martin
I agree with that. & that's why I asked the question, about winning 10 games after the deadline. This is where we are now.

Cuts are coming next season. I don't have a problem with Mercilus or Cunningham other than the money they're making for the play we are seeing. Even if they kick butt the next nine weeks, neither can stay on this team without major restructure.

Cutting them, imo doesn't make sense whether you want to call it a rebuild or a retool. We're not going to upgrade the position & eat dead money with no draft picks. It's not possible.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think I've been fair with BO'b, even though I voiced my disappointment in him as a coach, QB guru, offensive mind early in his tenure. Far as I'm concerned I was right back then & everything he did since affirms it.

I think this team will go through a major overhaul this offseason. But to me, getting rid of Watson, Tunsil, Howard, & our drafted rookies on rookie deals doesn't make sense.

Not that they're untouchable, but eating dead money for Watson & Tunsil doesn't make sense for 2021. & I don't think we can get high draft picks for our rookies on rookie deals.

Now if our next coach comes in & start treating our veterans like college rookies, I'm going to call him out as being a dumass.

If he starts ditching avg to below avg players to pay stupid money to avg or below avg players (like Keenum/Yates for Fitz, then Hoyer), I'm going to call him out as a dumass.

If he ditches his whole offseason program at halftime of game 1 (like changing QBs or making wholesale changes to the offense line) 3 years in a row, I'm going to call him out as a dumass.

If he ever challenges a play & we lose field position, down & distance, or an additional time out, I'm going to call him a dumass).

& if we under perform compared to similarly crappy teams in the AFC, I'm going to call him a dumass.

By the way, I really want Art Briles. Can't stop thinking about it since it was mentioned.
Agreed

You can count on the new HC making mistakes on Down/distance/timeouts/challenges etc... they all make these mistakes as rookie HC's. It's frustrating. I would pay a MIT guy 6 figures to fly to games just to make calls on use of TO's/Challenges etc...

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Except Cletus still thinks the Texans are contenders.

Is he fooling himself, or is he a snake oil salesman?

He's either delusional or thinks fans are just plain stupid.

Most people on this forum know how bad OB was , how bad the cap situation is and how little talent is actually on the team ..... But when I talk to "random fans" .... they seem to feel a lot like Cal - a new coach , a couple Band-Aids and this team's a contender again. Everything was OB's fault.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You can count on the new HC making mistakes on Down/distance/timeouts/challenges etc... they all make these mistakes as rookie HC's.
They all make mistakes on whether to challenge something or not.

Only BO'b can win a challenge & screw our position. Where we would have been better off to accept a penalty, or the result of the play.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The new coaching staff must be in the AFCCG within 2 years if you're going to hold them to the same standard as BOB was being held too by some on this MB.
Not an apples to apples kind of thing.......OB is 100% the reason the Texans find themselves in this mess and himself unemployed.

It's going to take 2-3 years just to undo OB's mess. The good....a solid GM, HC, and his staff could begin the process of coaching up the talent on hand with the hopes that they'll remain good enough to be solid contributors in the coming seasons.

banned1976

sleeper mode
132-163 all time record. They're not going to have a winning record this season.

This franchise isn't mediocre. It took Dan Reeves coming in to get them to respectable but that's all gone to the wayside now. They need another guy like him, high football IQ that had absolutely zero ties with the organization to come in and help but instead they're looking to Easterby and Pancakes McClain, as well as the company that gave them O'Brien. The remaining McNair's have learned absolutely nothing about how to run an NFL franchise in 20 years of ownership. At least Bob McNair had sense enough to admit when he needed help and got it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not an apples to apples kind of thing.......OB is 100% the reason the Texans find themselves in this mess and himself unemployed.

It's going to take 2-3 years just to undo OB's mess. The good....a solid GM, HC, and his staff could begin the process of coaching up the talent on hand with the hopes that they'll remain good enough to be solid contributors in the coming seasons.
That's why I said 2 yrs or otherwise referred to as yr 6 with DW4.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OK, how do you propose they get these players.

I would also add RB/OC/RG/NT to those needs. In other words 10-11 players. Seems like a rebuild is in order to me.
Only person on defense I consider even close to untouchable is Pj Hall & that depends on how well he does the next 9 games.

Again, rookies on rookie deals are safe unless your name is Reid who might garner draft capital.

OptimisticTexan

The team doesn't need to "rebuild". The team needs 2 CBs (Nickel, Outside), a Safety, and 2 LBs (one outside, 1 inside). That can be accomplished fair easy.
If the team can get contracts re-negotiated.....that would be a nice start. Eliminate the bad contracts via cuts. Sign the desired team FA's to team friendly (probably 1 year) contracts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Only person on defense I consider even close to untouchable is Pj Hall & that depends on how well he does the next 9 games.

Again, rookies on rookie deals are safe unless your name is Reid who might garner draft capital.
Blacklock/Hall/Reid/Roby are the only guys that I would keep.

Maybe Omenihu as a depth piece.

OptimisticTexan

OK....this one could be a real mess but I might need Corrosion to put the numbers into perspective but it's the Full Monty in sale-offs. Treating it almost like the McNair's decided to sale the team. I'm fully prepared to hear the typical negatives but the plan would have potential justifiable ends.

The first move would have a monstrous hit on the 2021 cap but it's a massive ducking yank of the band-aid. I'm reading a lot where the 49's may have reached there end with the Garoppolo experiment and would like to move on from him. Only thing...their 2021 NFL Draft position doesn't really set them up to draft his replacement and I seriously doubt they consider Mullens his successor. Offer Watson to the 49's for Garoppolo and their 2021 RD1 pick and more (maybe 2022 RD1 as well). Texans are going to take a 75.771M nut shot in 2021 but the silver lining, they're off the hook for his 2022 salary.

Let Garoppolo and McCarron QB the Texans in 2021 as they sort out their financial mess.

The team can get busy trading viable assets in the 2020 off-season and cutting others to eliminate as much money as possible so they can swallow the Watson dead money hit and absorb Garoppolo's 2021 money. The Texans 2021 season would make the Jets 2020 season look like they were playing to to be the 1 seed throughout the AFC playoffs. Based on realistic expectations from the 2021 season....Texans should be sitting extremely pretty for the 2022 NFL Draft.

During the 2021 off-season....the following moves could add some real value to the teams 2022 draft. First move, trade Laremy Tunsil for a 2022 RD1 pick and possibly more depending on the veteran LT landscape in the NFL at that time. Tunsil's dead money would only be 6.5M but the draft haul would definitely take the ouch out of the trade.

Next up, Jimmy Garoppolo would hit the market b/c his dead money would only be 2.8M but his return in potential picks could be pretty decent. He'd have to remain fairly healthy in 2021 and essentially play enough to peak interest while giving McCarron enough snaps to keep him healthy heading into 2022.

The roster would absolutely be ugly in 2021 but could give everyone a lot of hope come 2022 based on projected finish and what some final assets could bring to add picks to early rounds and maybe some over to the 2023 NFL Draft where the Texans should have a full compliment of picks and a decent position to boot.

Before anyone thinks I have changed my opinion of Deshaun Watson.....I haven't. I think Watson is a great QB but I fear he'll suffer the same fate as Carr, which he has to date, but could go on for another 3+ seasons before they become relevant again. Like Watt, I'd much rather see Watson hit his potential with another organization before watching the Texans destroy another young talent.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame

Well the great Texans fans should lure only the best coach and GM to H.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He's either delusional or thinks fans are just plain stupid.

Most people on this forum know how bad OB was , how bad the cap situation is and how little talent is actually on the team ..... But when I talk to "random fans" .... they seem to feel a lot like Cal - a new coach , a couple Band-Aids and this team's a contender again. Everything was OB's fault.
What was O'Brien's fault was enough to get him fired. I tried to root for him, hope he could stop sliding backwards.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The team doesn't need to "rebuild". The team needs 2 CBs (Nickel, Outside), a Safety, and 2 LBs (one outside, 1 inside). That can be accomplished fair easy.
What about a RB, two guards, a center and a partridge in a pear tree? You actually think we can get 5 defensive starters in the off season or are you speaking about sometime in the future?

Texansballer74

The Marine
OK....this one could be a real mess but I might need Corrosion to put the numbers into perspective but it's the Full Monty in sale-offs. Treating it almost like the McNair's decided to sale the team. I'm fully prepared to hear the typical negatives but the plan would have potential justifiable ends.

The first move would have a monstrous hit on the 2021 cap but it's a massive ducking yank of the band-aid. I'm reading a lot where the 49's may have reached there end with the Garoppolo experiment and would like to move on from him. Only thing...their 2021 NFL Draft position doesn't really set them up to draft his replacement and I seriously doubt they consider Mullens his successor. Offer Watson to the 49's for Garoppolo and their 2021 RD1 pick and more (maybe 2022 RD1 as well). Texans are going to take a 75.771M nut shot in 2021 but the silver lining, they're off the hook for his 2022 salary.

Let Garoppolo and McCarron QB the Texans in 2021 as they sort out their financial mess.

The team can get busy trading viable assets in the 2020 off-season and cutting others to eliminate as much money as possible so they can swallow the Watson dead money hit and absorb Garoppolo's 2021 money. The Texans 2021 season would make the Jets 2020 season look like they were playing to to be the 1 seed throughout the AFC playoffs. Based on realistic expectations from the 2021 season....Texans should be sitting extremely pretty for the 2022 NFL Draft.

During the 2021 off-season....the following moves could add some real value to the teams 2022 draft. First move, trade Laremy Tunsil for a 2022 RD1 pick and possibly more depending on the veteran LT landscape in the NFL at that time. Tunsil's dead money would only be 6.5M but the draft haul would definitely take the ouch out of the trade.

Next up, Jimmy Garoppolo would hit the market b/c his dead money would only be 2.8M but his return in potential picks could be pretty decent. He'd have to remain fairly healthy in 2021 and essentially play enough to peak interest while giving McCarron enough snaps to keep him healthy heading into 2022.

The roster would absolutely be ugly in 2021 but could give everyone a lot of hope come 2022 based on projected finish and what some final assets could bring to add picks to early rounds and maybe some over to the 2023 NFL Draft where the Texans should have a full compliment of picks and a decent position to boot.

Before anyone thinks I have changed my opinion of Deshaun Watson.....I haven't. I think Watson is a great QB but I fear he'll suffer the same fate as Carr, which he has to date, but could go on for another 3+ seasons before they become relevant again. Like Watt, I'd much rather see Watson hit his potential with another organization before watching the Texans destroy another young talent.

Brother lol you’re thinking too deep. Man that’s a lot.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

They also need a pass rusher , a quality RB , a center , RG , a TE that can block somethng more than air and a top flight WR to replace the one that Momma ran outa town.

By my count that's 11 need spots .... half the starting lineup.

KarlK

Waterboy
They also need a pass rusher , a quality RB , a center , RG , a TE that can block somethng more than air and a top flight WR to replace the one that Momma ran outa town.

Yeah, but besides at least half the positions on the field needing upgraded, a lot of the veteran talent being on short term contracts, and a dearth of premium draft picks to build with, you gotta admit no rebuild is necessary.

badboy

Hall of Fame

So..it's only half of a rebuild. No wonder Cal is so optimistic! Add in all these free agents hitting market after this season willing to sign cheapo deals we should have exciting off season. Has anyone considered John McClain for GM?

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
So..it's only half of a rebuild. No wonder Cal is so optimistic! Add in all these free agents hitting market after this season willing to sign cheapo deals we should have exciting off season. Has anyone considered John McClain for GM?
Are you trying to make my prophecy reality?

#Century #of #Suckitude

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Sure there's several factors that play into bringing home the ultimate prize.

Being able to put a quality team around your QB is definitely one of them and you have to have money free to do that. When you tie up ~20% of your cap space into one player , its damn hard to fill the other 54 roster spots with enough quality.

The magic number so far has been below 13.2% which , again was the very first year of the salary cap era - 1994.
I'd say that much history is pretty telling when we've had some really great QB's in that time period earn greater amounts and every one of them failed - Brady , Brees , Favre ,Warner , Aikman , Rodgers , Peyton , Eli , Roethlisberger , Wilson.
Every one of those guys won superbowls (19 among them).... Not a single one did it earning anything close to 13%.
They had to have money to spend on quality players around them.

Nope , its not the only thing but history shows its a starting point - That's why in this era of football the best chance most teams have to win it all is in their star QB's rookie deals , once they are playing in their second contracts , they tie up such large percentages of the cap that its just about impossible to put enough players around them.

The Texans mistake wasn't extending Watson , it was failing to take the impact of Covid on the cap into consideration. They paid him like the salary cap had continued its $10m per year gains.
If he won't reduce those cap hits in 22 & 23 they'll have a hard time putting much talent around him and that's a fact.
I'm not going to argue the flaws of this. There is some merit, but the waterline of 13% of the cap is the push back. There are also inequities in this formula. 1st of, early salary cap data and qbs don't equal into the equation. Brett Favre and Aikman shouldn't even be in the discussion. Ben and Eli fall under the old bonus baby contracts. Let's start after 2011 when the rookie cap was put in place and the cap charge after the extension. Go look at positional pay rank when the qb won the sb. People tend to forget that Brady has been the highest paid qb in the NFL. When Peyton won in Indy, he was top 3 . Warner was an anomaly. Teams need to be smart when you have qb taking up that much cap space. Packers and Chiefs drafted top notch backs in the 4th rd. The Texans s haven't been smart but I ding this team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm not going to argue the flaws of this. There is some merit, but the waterline of 13% of the cap is the push back. There are also inequities in this formula. 1st of, early salary cap data and qbs don't equal into the equation. Brett Favre and Aikman shouldn't even be in the discussion. Ben and Eli fall under the old bonus baby contracts. Let's start after 2011 when the rookie cap was put in place and the cap charge after the extension. Go look at positional pay rank when the qb won the sb. People tend to forget that Brady has been the highest paid qb in the NFL. When Peyton won in Indy, he was top 3 . Warner was an anomaly. Teams need to be smart when you have qb taking up that much cap space. Packers and Chiefs drafted top notch backs in the 4th rd. The Texans s haven't been smart but I ding this team.

Top of the line stuff right here