Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Rebuilding this team

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What about a RB, two guards, a center and a partridge in a pear tree? You actually think we can get 5 defensive starters in the off season or are you speaking about sometime in the future?
I would be happy if they came out of this draft with upgrades at S/ atleast 1 LB/RB/OG. This could happen even without a 1st/2nd rd picks.

Rd. 3 Jabril Cox LB LSU
Rd.4 Brian Robinson RB Alabama
Rd.4 Reed Blankenship S Middle Tennessee
Rd. 4 (Using rd 5 and 6 picks to move up Landon Dickerson OG/C Alabama
Rd. 6 Antwaan Simmons LB Mich St.
Rd. 7 B.J. Foster S Texas.

Couldn't fill all of the needs, but added 2 LB's that can run.

2 S one that's very instinctive and Foster who is very talented but has been injury prone until this yr but has talent.

2 Alabama players. I love Robinson, a big tough runner with good hands and can blitz pickup. No shame in getting beat out by Najee Harris.

Dickerson is a mammoth man that's very powerful. The type of guy that can come in and start early and improve the running game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would be happy if they came out of this draft with upgrades at S/ atleast 1 LB/RB/OG. This could happen even without a 1st/2nd rd picks.

Rd. 3 Jabril Cox LB LSU
Rd.4 Brian Robinson RB Alabama
Rd.4 Reed Blankenship S Middle Tennessee
Rd. 4 (Using rd 5 and 6 picks to move up Landon Dickerson OG/C Alabama
Rd. 6 Antwaan Simmons LB Mich St.
Rd. 7 B.J. Foster S Texas.

Couldn't fill all of the needs, but added 2 LB's that can run.

2 S one that's very instinctive and Foster who is very talented but has been injury prone until this yr but has talent.

2 Alabama players. I love Robinson, a big tough runner with good hands and can blitz pickup. No shame in getting beat out by Najee Harris.

Dickerson is a mammoth man that's very powerful. The type of guy that can come in and start early and improve the running game.
I like that draft. I am still concerned about wide receiver in 2021. However if Cook Cobb and Coulter end the year well, that is a good start. I'm hopeful for cheap one or two players in free agency. That remains to be seen.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like that draft. I am still concerned about wide receiver in 2021. However if Cook Cobb and Coulter end the year well, that is a good start. I'm hopeful for cheap one or two players in free agency. That remains to be seen.
I would love to see your thoughts on some guys you hope the Texans can get in the draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would love to see your thoughts on some guys you hope the Texans can get in the draft.
Still having hard time with watching games, not as much enthusiasm. Majors like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio Sate are interesting but before I wanted to find those 'possibles' dark horses. Perhaps will improve as season progresses. Only a hand full of us still post so not sure worth my time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Still having hard time with watching games, not as much enthusiasm. Majors like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio Sate are interesting but before I wanted to find those 'possibles' dark horses. Perhaps will improve as season progresses. Only a hand full of us still post so not sure worth my time.
If you get a chance look at some of the players. I enjoy the back and forth with you.

SnakeEyes

Waterboy
So if the right coaching comes in here and this team win 10+ and a deep run in the playoffs. Will your stance be the same? That’s if they keep the majority of these players.
Wait... but OB did make the playoffs and had them playing well...to start off. Then the bottom fell out. And he won 10 games. So, I think it would have to be 11+ to be fair

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So if the right coaching comes in here and this team win 10+ and a deep run in the playoffs. Will your stance be the same? That’s if they keep the majority of these players.
You're describing what BOB did last yr.

If they dont win 11 games and make the final 8 is next season a failure in your mind?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Sure there's several factors that play into bringing home the ultimate prize.

Being able to put a quality team around your QB is definitely one of them and you have to have money free to do that.
The magic number so far has been below 13.2% which , again was the very first year of the salary cap era - 1994.

They had to have money to spend on quality players around them.

Nope , its not the only thing but history shows its a starting point - That's why in this era of football the best chance most teams have to win it all is in their star QB's rookie deals , once they are playing in their second contracts , they tie up such large percentages of the cap that its just about impossible to put enough players around them.
I have clearly shown that you're completely wrong about teams not having enough cap space to put together a team with less than 87.7% of the cap space- excluding the starting QB's portion.

They did and had won the Lombardie Trophy. Latest one were the Chiefs.

CWTexansFan

King Deplorable
Contributor's Club
I have clearly shown that you're completely wrong about teams not having enough cap space to put together a team with less than 87.7% of the cap space- excluding the starting QB's portion.

100%-13.2%=86.8%
Why should I even trust your math at this point?

SnakeEyes

Waterboy
I posted one similar to Steel with a WR. A 6' 3 or 4 WR (combine will say what he is) with speed...he is from a small school and not many wins but he seems sound. In the thread You are the new GM

SnakeEyes

Waterboy

Watson is making what 30 some mil a year? Most teams who do big deals stretch it out and either give a bunch up front or escalate towards the end. And also most very high paid QBs work with the team to get the money for players too. How often do you hear Brady, Rogers, Brees and so on "rework" their contact to free up cap room? It seems to be a yearly thing almost.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Watson is making what 30 some mil a year? Most teams who do big deals stretch it out and either give a bunch up front or escalate towards the end. And also most very high paid QBs work with the team to get the money for players too. How often do you hear Brady, Rogers, Brees and so on "rework" their contact to free up cap room? It seems to be a yearly thing almost.
Here's the contract details -

Yearly cap hits
2020 - $9,808,207
2021 - $15,940,000
2022 - $40,400,000
2023 - $42,400,000
2024 - $37,400,000
2025 - $32,000,000

As for "reworking contracts" they aren't ever "giving money back" they are just pushing money into future years and often digging the hole deeper with more guaranteed money on the back end of them.

This contract probably wouldn't look so bad if it weren't for Covid wrecking the economy , otherwise the cap is still rising by ~$10m on a yearly basis and in 22/23 the base cap would have been north of $250m which puts that $40m year at about 16% of the base cap and less of the adjusted cap.

The first two years are a real bargain price by NFL QB standards.

I think they were counting on things returning to normal and the cap continuing its upward trend .... the thing they failed to take into account was the losses from this season being spread over the next 4 , essentially the life of the contract. Those split losses equal about 11% of the current total cap in annual reductions.

That is why I would have waited until this offseason to give him the extension .... even if it was for the same figure , you could better structure it for the future success.

OptimisticTexan

Go Texans 4-3...Post OB!!!!!

Yearly cap hits
2020 - $9,808,207
2021 - $15,940,000
2022 - $40,400,000
2023 - $42,400,000
2024 - $37,400,000
2025 - $32,000,000

As for "reworking contracts" they aren't ever "giving money back" they are just pushing money into future years and often digging the hole deeper with more guaranteed money on the back end of them.

This contract probably wouldn't look so bad if it weren't for Covid wrecking the economy , otherwise the cap is still rising by ~$10m on a yearly basis and in 22/23 the base cap would have been north of $250m which puts that $40m year at about 16% of the base cap and less of the adjusted cap.

I think they were counting on things returning to normal and the cap continuing its upward trend .... the thing they failed to take into account was the losses from this season being spread over the next 4 , essentially the life of the contract. Those split losses equal about 11% of the current total cap in annual reductions.

That is why I would have waited until this offseason to give him the extension .... even if it was for the same figure , you could better structure it for the future success.
The new contracts given to Mahomes (SB Winner) and Watson (Team Bottom Feeders) has set the tone for QB contracts going forward. The dilemma of cap impact facing both KC and Houston starting in 2022......will be the same dilemma facing other NFL team soon enough. I still don't think Watson demanded this type of contract......this was just another major duck-up by OB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The new contracts given to Mahomes (SB Winner) and Watson (Team Bottom Feeders) has set the tone for QB contracts going forward. The dilemma of cap impact facing both KC and Houston starting in 2022......will be the same dilemma facing other NFL team soon enough. I still don't think Watson demanded this type of contract......this was just another major duck-up by OB.
The point is the McNair's should've waited until next yr when he would have a better idea of what the post Covid NFL world would look like. It's not shocking that the McNair's would screw this up. BTW, Cal negotiated DW4's contract not BOB.

banned1976

All Pro
And Eastereggheadby.

SnakeEyes

Waterboy

Yearly cap hits
2020 - $9,808,207
2021 - $15,940,000
2022 - $40,400,000
2023 - $42,400,000
2024 - $37,400,000
2025 - $32,000,000

Oh I know they are not giving up anything. But most of them extend the deal by say 3yrs and then it is a lower hit. And they seem to always be signing a new deal before the old one ends. My guess is that they are making most of the old deal on signing bonus money. I'm pretty sure Rogers and Brady have done it. I mean a new 150mil deal with 30mil bonus from the start, plus say 8mil the first year is 38mil. If the old deal was 80mil and they paid them 35mil, the 38 is almost the full amount of the first one. 35+38=73mil only 4mil off. I would not argue lol