Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
as an admitted newcomer, have you actually read the posts V? or did you flashback to carr and throw out first reaction?

newcomer? I probably read more posts than most of you guys combined. I'm still the primary moderator here....I just rather talk about the games. This stuff (and threads like it) is just a bunch of circular arguments. I stopped posting in most of them a while back.

Too many people are reading this as some sort of ringing endorsement of Kubes', when it's anything but.

This is for FA acquisition / Asst. coach hirings, nothing more / nothing less. If anybody thinks that Kubes can go 6-10 next year and keep his job, they are smoking the good stuff.

I'd like nothing more than for Kubes to take us to the promised land, but it still remains to be seen if he's the one to get us there.

Hope you are feeling better.

i must've misunderstood your post a short while ago about missing the signing, and assumed you havent gone through this thread yet.
I just stated that I was busy yesterday and haven't logged on till around lunch time today. :cow:

Personally, I don't consider myself on either side of this debate.

In the end, can't we all get along...:grouphug:

That's pretty much where I am. I'd say there have been plenty of insults from both sides and some pretty creatively one-sided/self-serving/made up/mind reading arguments from both sides as well.

Can I just gripe about the 790 callers who seem to think the Kubes extension 100% promises to deliver 3-5 years of utter destruction and devasation for the team?!

Who cares? Worst case scenario we suck next year and he gets fired.

Yeah, I've had issues with his coaching. Yeah, I think it has improved as far as clock management and play calling (still lots of room for growth, halfback pass....!).

But as far as this deal *shruh?(

So only one side is 'insulting' the other, right?

:strangle:
since this is aimed at my quote, let me restate what I said - It reminds me of the Carr era where some guys were dogging Carr while the other side dogged the people who were criticizing Carr. I also said that there it went both ways as far as the insults are going. I actually think that some heated exchanges are good for the place (except when it gets too intolerant on an ongoing basis). I think that about covers it.

I am awestruck by the inability of Houston sports fans to think this through rationally. Nothing has changed except that Bob McNair is buying himself some security with the coaching staff. It's his money and it doesn't affect the cap, so why should anyone give a ****?

Gary Kubiak is a solid coach who has rebuilt this franchise into a respectable team on the verge of success. Unless you have a better plan in place, why mess with it? And as others have correctly pointed out, it's a good move because it cultivates chemistry and stability at a time when the NFL is heading for a showdown between the NFLPA and the owners.

IMO this news is just being used as an opportunity for the frustrated football fans in Houston to ***** about being frustrated.

Reactions: JB
It isn't hind sight at all. It's a no brainer. Sharper has been one of the ebst safties in the league for like 10 years now. Pollard, well he was a no name guy that the Chiefs didn't even want and over achieved this year. Hopefully he can have that same play next season, but I wouldn't bet the bank on it. I'm not doubting him either, but Sharper's been a stud with the Packers, the Vikes, and now with the Saints. And lets not forget about the fact that Dawkins was available as well and he had a very big impact on that Denver defense this season. Dawkins was one of the players I wanted most last off season.

And as far as the RB situation, uuummm a few of us were very upset on draft day when we didn't go after another RB in the first 3 rounds. We needed one for depth to play either behind Slaton or to share carries with Slaton and we didn't address that. I was pissed, and I heard a ton of stuff in here about how Jeremiah Johnson was going to be some stud for us and how he was the guy we got and didn't even have to draft him and yada yada. I don't think many expected Slaton to have the season he had this year and expected much more, but regardless now days you need at least two capable backs and the Gary Kubiak thought Chris Brown was capable of being in that role which knocked us out of the playoffs. SteelBTexan is exactly right about what we "didn't" do in the off season as far as addressing to needs.

Dawkins and Sharper are in their mid 30s and are basically slow-footed free safeties at this point. We already had Eugene Wilson, who plays the same position, and is about 5 years younger. You would've torn up the Texans organization if they'd signed a 35 year old DB and the player got injured and never contributed. That being said, you are right that they should've signed at least one free agent safety in the off-season. It was a severe miscalculation on their part.

Pollard is 26 years old and was a 2nd round draft pick. He was a good player for a very bad KC defense. So, I'm not sure where this "no name" business comes from. He was released because of the regime change not because of his on-field performance.

The Texans needed another RB and would've drafted one if it made sense. Instead of standing pat in the 3rd round, they could've traded up and taken Shonn Greene or Coffee, I suppose. However, they would then have an even greater deficit on the interior OL (no Caldwell) and may have missed out on someone like G.Quin (certainly another position of need). They had lots of needs and addressed many of them. I'm not sure why you continue to harp on the RB position. If they didn't have needs at : LB, DE, DT, OG/OC, CB, S.. then I'm sure they would've gotten to it. This season, since they need less, I'm sure they will adequately address the RB position.

Why would you extend a HC in their last year of a contract, who should be fired IF they have another losing season?

Smells alot like the David Carr extension.

We are too nice as an organization...

So what makes Kubes a good coach to you then if you put this type of stigma on Sparano who has had one season where he did an excellent job and another where he went 8-8 which is Kubiak's motto. But to you Gary's this great up and comer, and Sparano is just this one year wonder. I won't sit here and act like Sparano is this great prodigy of a coach or anything, but he has had more success in two years than what Gary has had in 4.

I think with you it doesn't matter who we're talking about really. It's about the logo. If Sparano was the coach of the Texans you'd probably be calling him better than Billicheck and if Kubes was the coach of the Dolphins you'd be acting like he's an average coach in the NFL.

My point is that one good NFL season doesn't prove a coach to be a good one. Furthermore, one can look beyond the record and see how a coach carries himself, handles situations, etc... and learn more about his ability to coach or not. It's not as simple as, "oh 6-10, bad coach. 11-5, good coach". Who knows if Jim Caldwell is a good NFL head coach or not. I bring up Sparano because some of you compare Kubiak to him because of his one year turnaround in 2008.

I'm not convinced that Kubiak is among the upper echelon of NFL head coaches. I believe it was the best thing for this organization for him to stay. I think the fact that the players consistently play hard for him is a good sign. I also think he has done a very good job remaking this roster. So, I am encouraged with him. And, I genuinely like him.

My point is that one good NFL season doesn't prove a coach to be a good one. Furthermore, one can look beyond the record and see how a coach carries himself, handles situations, etc... and learn more about his ability to coach or not. It's not as simple as, "oh 6-10, bad coach. 11-5, good coach". Who knows if Jim Caldwell is a good NFL head coach or not. I bring up Sparano because some of you compare Kubiak to him because of his one year turnaround in 2008.

I'm not convinced that Kubiak is among the upper echelon of NFL head coaches. I believe it was the best thing for this organization for him to stay. I think the fact that the players consistently play hard for him is a good sign. I also think he has done a very good job remaking this roster. So, I am encouraged with him. And, I genuinely like him.

I think the bolded is where alot of the debate happens. People are confused why they are so flat some losing games and step up with things on the line. Last season they maybe played 1 complete game. Maybe it is the difference between hard and smart. Who knows. I'll let it lie.

There can be no argument that the Texans have improved every year under Kubiak's leadership. Since they dumped HWWNBN and traded for Matt Schaub in 2007, the Texans have finished finished .500 or better all three seasons.

Here's the list of teams that have done that, with wins in reverse chronological order:

Arizona 10, 9, 8
Dallas 11, 9, 13
Indy 14, 12, 13
Minn 12, 10, 8
NE 10, 11, 16
NYG 8, 12, 10
Phil 11, 9, 8
Pitt 9, 12, 10
SD 13, 8, 11
Tenn 8, 13, 10
Hou 9, 8, 8

Of those teams, only Jim Caldwell, Mike Tomlin, and Ken Whisenhunt have less NFL head coaching experience than Gary Kubiak. Yes, Gary Kubiak is the only coach on that list that hasn't made the playoffs, but I don't think it's completely fair to judge his performance as a head coach based on that fact alone. He has done a good job overall or the Texans wouldn't be included here. On the other hand, he's failed because the Texans haven't cashed in on their potential yet.

I don't think Kubiak's coaching or leadership skills are eclipsed by Ken Whisenhunt, he's simply a victim of circumstance in the form of the AFC South. Put the Texans in the NFC West and they win twelve games a year. The AFC South is the best division in football. It frustrates me that this team can't win those important divisional games, but I'm not convinced that a head coaching change would rectify this. Players gotta lead on the field and learn how to close out games.

Why would you extend a HC in their last year of a contract, who should be fired IF they have another losing season?

Because no owner wants to have his team saddled with the distractions of a coach in a lame duck year.

The Carr comparison isn't close to relevant. Player contracts count against the cap. Coach contracts don't.

the so called soapers are talking about the team and giving opinion about the coach. The Kubiak crowd seems to talk more about insulting the posters. That's what I see as similar to the Carr situation. Some goes both ways of course...I expected the extension but I'm not a fan of Kubiak as a HC. I don't know why that has to end up as an personal insult my way. Not saying that happened to me in this thread or anything.

I think that a little heated exchange is good for the place...but not an never ending ongoing insult-fest.

I made a post in one of TC's threads that I was under the impression the new coaches were probably informed Kubiak was getting extended, which likely solidified their decisions to come here. So, I was expecting it as well. I'm neither happy or unhappy about it because there ain't diddly I can do about it. I just want to win regardless of who's coaching/playing. This City needs it!

newcomer? I probably read more posts than most of you guys combined. I'm still the primary moderator here....I just rather talk about the games. This stuff (and threads like it) is just a bunch of circular arguments. I stopped posting in most of them a while back.

Me too, my friend, me too.

I see where Vinny compares the discussion to the HWWNBN discussions but in terms of merits there is one giant difference.

HWWNBN was getting worse v. the Texans have improved every year under Kubiak and the debate is the speed of that improvement.

I see where Vinny compares the discussion to the HWWNBN discussions but in terms of merits there is one giant difference.

HWWNBN was getting worse v. the Texans have improved every year under Kubiak and the debate is the speed of that improvement.
I know you 'get it' but just to clarify, what I see as a comparison is the fan reaction/behavior as similar in both scenarios. One segment really doesn't care for the player/coach and another fan segment is super defensive and instead of making good arguments about how to defend their opinion, they just infer that the people who don't share their opinion are idiots.

Because no owner wants to have his team saddled with the distractions of a coach in a lame duck year.

The Carr comparison isn't close to relevant. Player contracts count against the cap. Coach contracts don't.

I guess you are right. Why would McNair care about having to pay Kubiak any guaranteed money if he decided to fire him after this season since he can just take it out of our asses in ticket prices and concessions.

This thread is 11 pages long, so I haven't read anything beyond the last two pages, but this question goes out to the Kubiak haters.

Who would you replace Kubiak with? (be specific)

Promote someone within the current organization? Pull a potential HC away from another team? Lure John Gruden away for 12 million a year? Who would be better than Kubiak?

This thread is 11 pages long, so I haven't read anything beyond the last two pages, but this question goes out to the Kubiak haters.

Promote someone within the current organization? Pull a potential HC away from another team? Lure John Gruden away for 12 million a year? Who would be better than Kubiak?

Don't ask that! They don't like that question!

I see one side of fans making the most hyperbole filled and insulting posts twoards one of the staff of the Houston Texans. When the opposing opinion comes out and says "No he's okay" we get the first set of fans saying "You're persecuting me as a fan!"

People are getting defensive about having their opinions questioned on all fronts not one.

People have said who they would like to look at.

I personally don't think Gruden would suffice. I don't think Cowher has the energy he once had--Would be a similar scenario as we saw with Jimmy Johnson going to the Dolphins, IMO.

I would like a coach who took a college program, and turned that program around from an unknown into the champion of its conference. Because that, to me, signifies that the coach is a true HEAD COACH in the sense of the word. He has a track record of taking all the little bits and pieces and rallying everyone to the point of taking his conference by storm.

Some of you act like there are literally only 4 good head coaches who are still alive out there.

I'll take someone who JUST rallied his team from being a mere unknown to being the type of team that waxed its opponents and spanked its conference rivals. I would take someone who has that sort of energy, confidence, and track record of success.

I am not against judging Kubes by his performances and it has been said that Bob has him on the bubble. I am just happy the deal went down cause I thought it would get rid of the pink soapers, guess I was wrong, there is always a few Bad apples in the bunch.

That being said for you guys who want to Rag on Bob McNair, you will hear my opinion every time cause he is a Houston Hero and you who want to drag him down will have to drag me down with him.

I personally don't think Gruden would suffice. I don't think Cowher has the energy he once had--Would be a similar scenario as we saw with Jimmy Johnson going to the Dolphins, IMO.

I would like a coach who took a college program, and turned that program around from an unknown into the champion of its conference. Because that, to me, signifies that the coach is a true HEAD COACH in the sense of the word. He has a track record of taking all the little bits and pieces and rallying everyone to the point of taking his conference by storm.

Some of you act like there are literally only 4 good head coaches who are still alive out there.

I'll take someone who JUST rallied his team from being a mere unknown to being the type of team that waxed its opponents and spanked its conference rivals. I would take someone who has that sort of energy, confidence, and track record of success.

So you're suggesting guys like Pete Carrol, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban or that guy from Stanford? (I think its Harbaugh?)

1) Kubiak hater is such a misused term. Almost everyone likes Kubiak and agrees he is a good man. Basically we are team realists who just want to point out the deficiencies to those who think everything is constantly hunky dory(sp?). Nothing wrong with questioning the status quo.

2) It has been quoted in many places that Cowher liked this situation. It was said, if he coached, this would be a place where he would come. Why not ask? Also, if you went coordinator, I think Zimmer, the D Coordinator at Cincy would do a great job. Players respect and like him. He is no nonsense and, from what I read in Dallas and Cincy, holds guys accountable, something I think is missing here. But overall, many people weren't specifically saying Kubes needed to be fired right away. Just held accountable where people stop acting like similar records with better systems is acceptable. I won't repeat it again but guys that were with KC before Schottenheimer got there said they thought they were always right there but couldn't get there. When he came in they realized the discipline they lacked. Some think that might be the case here.

No, we like the question. Some just don't like to read and are too busy writing out their next response.

From Honoring Earl's record collection:

You spin me right round baby, right round.
Like a record baby, right round.
Round, round.

You spin me right round baby, right round.
Like a record baby, right round.
Round, round.

:gun:

1) Kubiak hater is such a misused term. Almost everyone likes Kubiak and agrees he is a good man. Basically we are team realists who just want to point out the deficiencies to those who think everything is constantly hunky dory(sp?). Nothing wrong with questioning the status quo.

2) It has been quoted in many places that Cowher liked this situation. It was said, if he coached, this would be a place where he would come. Why not ask? Also, if you went coordinator, I think Zimmer, the D Coordinator at Cincy would do a great job. Players respect and like him. He is no nonsense and, from what I read in Dallas and Cincy, holds guys accountable, something I think is missing here. But overall, many people weren't specifically saying Kubes needed to be fired right away. Just held accountable where people stop acting like similar records with better systems is acceptable. I won't repeat it again but guys that were with KC before Schottenheimer got there said they thought they were always right there but couldn't get there. When he came in they realized the discipline they lacked. Some think that might be the case here.

No, we like the question. Some just don't like to read and are too busy writing out their next response.

So, you named two guys... Cowher won't take the job. He wasn't going to coach anywhere this year unless Carolina became available.

So, the one remaining name:

Mike Zimmer! You really would want to turn this organization upside down in order to give Mike Zimmer the head coaching job? Well, that's an answer, I suppose.

I really don't understand this belief that Kubiak doesn't hold players accountable?
Mike Zimmer is the guy that continued to trot Roy Williams onto the field for years in Dallas despite the fact that he was undisciplined, sloppy safety and was known for his lack of work ethic... Then, when Zimmer went to Cincy and Roy Williams was released from Dallas, he signed him and plugged him into the starting defense. ( this is the kind of accountability you are looking for? )

I'm just curious, but where do some of y'all get the idea that Kubiak will lose his job if we don't make the playoffs in 2010? Is this just speculation on your part, or is there something mentioned or implied by McNair that justifies this perspective?

McNair's history tends to reveal an owner that is more about the patient, benefit of the doubt decisions than any sort of knee-jerk reaction. I honestly don't think Kubiak will lose his job in 2010 without some sort of catastrophic meltdown akin to 2-14. This is clearly McNair's M.O., so I was wondering about the many comments that Kubiak is still on the so-called "hot seat" in 2010.

p.s. this post is not intended to reflect joy or displeasure with the extension. It is what it is, so I'm just asking if I have missed something from McNair or if fans are speculating as fans are prone to do sometimes.

absolutely everything you post is hindsight, and still wrong more often than not. at this point i'm anxious to hear which big free agents are available and who is going to win next year's DROY.

No Greer has always been a better DB than Reeves.

It isn't hondsight to know that depth and or an upgrade was needed during TC . In fact if /kubes didn't see this it makes me ask ? about his judgement.

DROY in 2010 Relondo McClain, I called it now. I'm not going to look it up at the end of next season but I will remind you.

I'm just curious, but where do some of y'all get the idea that Kubiak will lose his job if we don't make the playoffs in 2010? Is this just speculation on your part, or is there something mentioned or implied by McNair that justifies this perspective?

I have the same question. It is not a foregone conclusion that next year is "playoffs or the unemployment line" for Kubiak. If the team regresses then it's more likely to happen than not, but it is false to assume that his fate would solely be determined by a playoff appearance.

As always, it depends on the circumstances (i.e. injuries to key players) and how the team responds.

I have the same question. It is not a foregone conclusion that next year is "playoffs or the unemployment line" for Kubiak. If the team regresses then it's more likely to happen than not, but it is false to assume that his fate would solely be determined by a playoff appearance.

As always, it depends on the circumstances (i.e. injuries to key players) and how the team responds.

Exactly. What happens if the Texans go 8-8, but without the services of AJ, Cush and say Pollard for a good chunk of the season??

There are so many variables that go into the equation, it's blanketly naive to throw out the "Kubiak will fired if they have another 8-8 or don't make the play offs" assertions.

So, you named two guys... Cowher won't take the job. He wasn't going to coach anywhere this year unless Carolina became available.

Mike Zimmer! You really would want to turn this organization upside down in order to give Mike Zimmer the head coaching job? Well, that's an answer, I suppose.

I really don't understand this belief that Kubiak doesn't hold players accountable?
Mike Zimmer is the guy that continued to trot Roy Williams onto the field for years in Dallas despite the fact that he was undisciplined, sloppy safety and was known for his lack of work ethic... Then, when Zimmer went to Cincy and Roy Williams was released from Dallas, he signed him and plugged him into the starting defense. ( this is the kind of accountability you are looking for? )

1) Your answer on Cowher is something you read months and months ago which is wrong and dated. That changed down the road. He told people that he had multiple destinations that he would listen to...one being Houston. The only reason he decided this year was a bad one was because all 3-4 of those places had coaches in place or ones that were resigning. You don't know until you ask.

2) Zimmer led the #1 defense in the league while in Dallas. Roy Williams played because they made due with him. They had nothing else. He has completely installed a new attitude into Cincys team and they turned around. It is a guy who I think will be successful and has discipline.

This is why people won't debate with you. You make ignorant blanket statements that "THEY don't like answering that question." Then when people do you attack full bore like there is no possible way anyone would take the job or be better than Kubiak. Under your theory, its Kubiak or we are screwed.

You don't have anything to support this claim and you clearly are not aware of plenty of the things that he said and did in order to get ready to coach. It's no secret that he mentioned that the Bears job and the Texans job would have been very interesting jobs "if they opened up." That right there said he had interest in those jobs. Neither of them opened up though, so there goes that. The Texans job would have been the most appealing job in all of the NFL actually.

It was reported that Cowher even went out and started assembling a coaching staff to coach next season. He was clearly preparing to take a job. If he only wanted to coach in Carolina he wouldn't have interviewed and negotiated things with Buffalo for one and he did. He didn't like what he heard from the owner which is no surprise and it was reported that Cowher wasn't confident that the owner would be competitive in bringing in the personal player wise to compete. Cowher was smart for not taking that job.

He never had any plans about that Carolina job and that's easily been the most overrated story in the past two off seasons. Fox was NOT going to get fired for one, and I even posted an article about this in here that explained it all. Carolina was not in any position to fire Fox because it would have costed them a ton of money and they have all sorts of cap problems right now. Cowher to Carolina was never going to happen and he knew that.

Bill Cowher is no dummy and he wants to coach right now, but he's not going to just coach anywhere. He's been sitting back patiently and waiting for the right spot to open up where he can "cherry pick" the perfect situation for him. He knows that he's the most sought after coach out there right now by far, so he can confidently wait.

And it's been reported that he's got a great relationship with the family that owns the Giants and that he's most likely waiting to see what happens with Coughlin next year. If the Giants under achieve again Coughlin will most likely be fired and Cowher will go there. That's a big time job right there that Cowher would surely be interested in.

As far as the Texans job is concerned there is no question in my mind that he would have been interested in that job and the fact that he said that he would be interested pretty much confirms that.

Last edited:
I have read several places and heard discussed on ESPN radio that Cowher will most likely be the Giants next coach. Who knows? Speculation but he was available....

Personally, I think if you look at coaches who are successful in terms of winning a Super Bowl, they were either head coaches who got fired (or left) from another place where they didn't win a SB (Gruden, Dungy, Coughlin, Belichik, Vermiel) or they were assistants who finally got their chance (Billick, Tomlin).

I wouldn't like a college coach, no matter how successful in college. And I don't want a coach that's already won a Super Bowl (because no HC has ever won a SB with two different teams.)

If we fired Kubiak, our best bet would be some guy who a lot of people on this board wouldn't like. Like a Romeo Crennel or a Marty Schottenheimer or something.

1. 'Kubiak hater' is probably not the best way to describe it, but you know what I mean by it. I would imagine that even the most adamant critic of Kubiak wouldn't wish cancer and boils upon him. I suppose we could start a new term called "Kubiak Kritics", but that sounds kind of lame... :foottap:

2a. Cowher would make a great coach in just about any organization. If the Texans had fired Kubiak after this season ended, I certainly would have had him atop my coaching wish-list. However, without that vacancy it's difficult to gauge the actual interest of potential candidates. I think Cowher could have been snagged this offseason had McNair gone that route. Whatever organizational changes made to accommodate him would have been acceptable due to the intangibles he brings with him. Confidence, respect, hype, national interest, fear - all things currently lacking with Kubiak.

2b. Zimmer I'm sure will make a good HC someday, but I don't think he's ready to leave his post in Cincy. If I remember correctly he declined to interview for the Bills job, but that is the Bills... maybe he would have been more inclined to interview with the Texans instead.

There is nothing written in stone that Kubiak will get fired if we don't make the playoffs.

Let's say Schaub and our backup QBs go down for the year in pre-season and we have to play all year with a scrub starting at QB. And in a few more injuries in key postions and the Texans could very well win three to five games next year. Will Kubiak get fired because of that? I doubt it seriously.

Now let's say we stay healthy all year and and play well but continue to lose games at the last second we should have won. Well then, Kubiak might be in trouble then.

My point is, you just can't make a flat statement Kubiak is history if he doesn't make the playoffs.

We still have free agency, the draft, and pre-season to go before you can start to make sensible predictions about next year.

wow, every time I miss a day on the net I can always count on a big news event of some sort.

I expected an extention (said so a few weeks ago) so this isn't a shock. I also expected the Kubiak crowd to insult everyone else who isn't a big fan of Kubiak. It reminds me of the Carr era in that regard.

go back and look at some of SH's recent posts, then we can revisit this one side business you're pitching here.

You don't have anything to support this claim and you clearly are not aware of plenty of the things that he said and did in order to get ready to coach. It's no secret that he mentioned that the Bears job and the Texans job would have been very interesting jobs "if they opened up." That right there said he had interest in those jobs. Neither of them opened up though, so there goes that. The Texans job would have been the most appealing job in all of the NFL actually.
It was reported that Cowher even went out and started assembling a coaching staff to coach next season. He was clearly preparing to take a job. If he only wanted to coach in Carolina he wouldn't have interviewed and negotiated things with Buffalo for one and he did. He didn't like what he heard from the owner which is no surprise and it was reported that Cowher wasn't confident that the owner would be competitive in bringing in the personal player wise to compete. Cowher was smart for not taking that job.

He never had any plans about that Carolina job and that's easily been the most overrated story in the past two off seasons. Fox was NOT going to get fired for one, and I even posted an article about this in here that explained it all. Carolina was not in any position to fire Fox because it would have costed them a ton of money and they have all sorts of cap problems right now. Cowher to Carolina was never going to happen and he knew that.

Bill Cowher is no dummy and he wants to coach right now, but he's not going to just coach anywhere. He's been sitting back patiently and waiting for the right spot to open up where he can "cherry pick" the perfect situation for him. He knows that he's the most sought after coach out there right now by far, so he can confidently wait.

And it's been reported that he's got a great relationship with the family that owns the Giants and that he's most likely waiting to see what happens with Coughlin next year. If the Giants under achieve again Coughlin will most likely be fired and Cowher will go there. That's a big time job right there that Coughlin would surely be interested in.

As far as the Texans job is concerned there is no question in my mind that he would have been interested in that job and the fact that he said that he would be interested pretty much confirms that.

Pat Kirwin, whom I respect, usually does not make overreaching statements. He has insisted that Bill Cowher was not going to coach in 2010. Furthermore, he said he knows this because he has inside information and is friends with him. Of course I don't know with absolute certainty.

It's also rather naive to argue that a coach who goes to speak with ownership neccessarily has interest in the job. That kind of misdirection is done all the time for a multitude of reasons... perhaps simply as a favor to Ralph Wilson.

I wasn't suggesting that he was likely to coach in Carolina, only that with his committment to his family, that would be the only place he'd willingly coach in 2010. Again, this is information gleaned primarily from Pat Kirwin on sirius radio.

By the way, how do you know Bob McNair didn't speak privately with Cowher about coaching the Texans? Perhaps McNair was willing to let Kubiak go if he had the right replacement? Do you have direct knowledge that this wasn't the case?

JJ doesn't throw money at problems in the same fashion as Snyder but he is attracted to baubles such as Pacman, TO and Roy Williams.

Sure they did signing a DE and DT was addressing needs. And we don't know how many free agents the Texans approached but were unable to sign. This may be a tough year for free agents particularly those under 30 years old.

There was a report a deal was in place very quickly after the Chiefs let him go and the time delay was him getting a medical clearance to play.

They addresed there depth isuues in the secondary and short yardage RB adequately

Signed John Busing/Chris Brown

Do you have a link to the Pollard medical clearance?

I may have issues with the Texans medical staff if it took 2 weeks to get medical clearance for Pollard to join the Texans.

There was nothing of any sort implied by McNair.

It's nothing but wishful thinking tinged with empty threats.

Super Bowl winning Brian Bilick (SP) Jim Harbaugh, Rob Ryan,Zimmer to name a few

I dont know who will be available after next season. I wasn't against bringing Kubes back next season. I was against the extention. He has done nothing to earn an extention. If you are fine with 8-8,8-8,9-7 mediocrity then he doesn't deserve an extention. I'm not in this group. I exellence, that may be too much to expect from a McNair run organization.

Last edited:
Super Bowl winning Brian Bilick (SP)

I dont know who will be available after next season. I wasn't against bringing Kubes back next season. I was against the extention. He has done nothing to earn an extention. If you are fine with 8-8,8-8,9-7 mediocrity then he doesn't deserve an extention. I'm not in this group. I exellence, that may be too much to expect from a McNair run organization.

Well, it's not exactly an appointment to the federal judiciary. Why do you care that he got an extension when it won't affect the salary cap? This is good for the team NEXT YEAR. If they regress without cause, Kubes is probably gone anyway, so the extension is not that big of a deal.

If you are fine with 8-8,8-8,9-7 mediocrity then he doesn't deserve an extention. I'm not in this group. I exellence, that may be too much to expect from a McNair run organization.

Oh, come the fugg on! That is ridiculous. This is where y'all drive me nuts and get me pissed off.

One can justifiably defend the last three years without being "fine with mediocrity." That is just idiotic.

Go look at the list I posted upthread of teams that have won at least 8 games each of the last three years. There are only eleven teams out of thirty that have managed that accomplishment, so it's not exactly fair to characterize the team's performance in such a negative light. 11/30!

Yeah, they're the only team of that bunch that hasn't made the playoffs, but they also haven't regressed, either. And they play in arguably the toughest division in the NFL with maybe the greatest quarterback of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back