Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the event we make the SUper Bowl we should take a week off before the Super Bowl and walk to Dallas from Reliant and have it sponsored. Between the sponsorship dollars and "football interest story" we could easily get in at "no cost."
That's a great freakin' idea!

That's why you're the smartest kid in the room. :D

LOL. We actually agree on something.

No, Kubiak shouldn't behave like that. That's not motivating players. That's just being a jerk. For a coach to not talk to a player for six weeks is just ridiculus.

Sparano is from the Bill Parcells School of Coaching...TO is alot of things and mostly all bad but he said that Bill Parcells never spoke a word to him the entire time they were both with the Cowboys.

I agree with you. Not a good way to coach a player.

Perhaps Kubiak would be more deserving of this deal if he was more like Tony Sparano, right?:

Here's a snippet from rotoworld.com:

"Dolphins OLB Joey Porter revealed that he and Tony Sparano never spoke a word to each other after his mid-November suspension".

man, that's the kind of leadership Kubiak needs to use more: The silent treatment! If he behaved more like a 14 year old girl, imagine how successful the team could've been last year! Kudos to TONY SPARANO! 6 weeks of the silent treatment. IMPRESSIVE!

This is seriously one of the silliest posts I've read in here. You're so butt hurt over the fact that some posters on a football website don't cater to your homerish feelings over a HC that has never made it to the playoffs, so you go out of your way and reach to try and insult another coach that's been a runner up to coach of the year just last season after taking over a 1-15 team and who highly over achieved in his first season and did a decent job in his 2nd season. It's one thing to make arguments for why you like Kubiak or why you want him as the HC, but to sit here and bash Sparano just makes you look uninformed as a football fan in general.

Yes and what has happened since this franchises inception to make that statement seem untrue to you.

Give examples where McNair has re-invsted the $ that he's made off the fan base either on top notch coaches. (1st time GM,HC,OC,DC) or top tier FA. McNair always pays a little above market value for a 2nd tier FA A.Smith) While his franchise keeps going up in value. The Texans are currently the 6th most valuable franchise in the NFL.

If McNair is keeping Kubes so that as he said the team can attract FA's this offseason then fine. The proof will be in the pudding. Or this may just be another PR move with the intention to keep the $ rolling in.

So I guess when you say that "every Texan fan wants one thing, THE TEXANS TO BE A WINNER", that doesn't include McNair, right? I guess he must not be a Texan fan, right?

And no, I'm not putting words in your mouth. Go back and carefully re-read what you posted.

This is seriously one of the silliest posts I've read in here. You're so butt hurt over the fact that some posters on a football website don't cater to your homerish feelings over a HC that has never made it to the playoffs, so you go out of your way and reach to try and insult another coach that's been a runner up to coach of the year just last season after taking over a 1-15 team and who highly over achieved in his first season and did a decent job in his 2nd season. It's one thing to make arguments for why you like Kubiak or why you want him as the HC, but to sit here and bash Sparano just makes you look uninformed as a football fan in general.

What's silly is you not being able to recognize how amateurish and childish it is for a grown man to give another grown man the silent treatment. The fact that the team had one good season under him hardly makes him a good coach.

See: Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini.

Anyone who had the Pink Soap needs to use it in the shower now.
After reading what you guys were saying about Gary I am laughing My Ass OFF

When I think about the players on this team, I get excited. No joke. My adrenaline starts pumping. But when I think about the coach, I don't get excited. It's not that I hate the team. I just have serious doubts about the coach.

Does that make sense?

I thought I've been pretty clear about not understanding why people have doubts about our coach.

I thought it was pretty clear to everyone that Gary Kubiak was not ready to be a head coach after the 2006 season. We could clearly see he had some learning to do.

Whether he brought them on himself, or they were forced on him, Gary's been hamstrung most of his HC career. I don't know if there was any truth to McNair requiring some veteran leadership on Gary's coaching staff... Mike Sherman, Richard Smith....

More Hamstringing... Kyle Shanahan... David Carr... Charlie Casserly..

I think this was the first year, that Kubiak grabbed his gnads, and said we're going to do it my way. & I like that.

Even with everything he's had to put up with, he's done a really good job building this team through the draft.

I think it is a testament to his coaching ability that we've got the #4 total offense & the only high draft pick he's used on offense was a LT. We're not breaking the bank on offensive FAs.... we're basically scrubs on offense, overachieving like a mother@#$. & we had no run game in 2009.

Defensively, again, mostly through the draft, he's put together a very impressive core of players, mostly through the draft. The talent on the defensive side of the ball is actually better than what we've got offensively....

I've never been a draft only guy, mainly because I believe that route takes longer.

Personally I don't understand how we can judge what he does on game day, or say we won or lost a game because of this decision, or that decision... when his young team still act like a young team. Inconsistency is one thing, but unpredictable is something totally different.

Raise your hands if you knew Slaton was going to develop a bad.... bad case of the drops.. If you knew we would lose our 2 starting guards 3 games into the season..

Raise your hands if you knew we would lose OD when the schedule got tough. Or that you knew KDub would only beat OD by 100 yards on the season despite playing 6 more games.

I'm not making excuses for the man. I recognize there is still a lot of learning & growing going on on the sidelines as well as on the field. When I talk about the foundation Kubiak is building, I recognize he's building it on the sidelines as well.

& though Andre Johnson has been our best player since we drafted him, & Schaub has been our QB since we gave two picks for him, neither were true leaders on this team, until this year.

Plain as day, I see the future of this team as well.... & it looks nothing like what you see.

Not saying my opinion is more valid than yours... just saying I honestly don't get your opinion.

What's silly is you not being able to recognize how amateurish and childish it is for a grown man to give another grown man the silent treatment. The fact that the team had one good season under him hardly makes him a good coach.

See: Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini.

I'm not sure if you know this but Parcells, Landry and a host of other HOF coaches were known to barely communicate with players who weren't respecting them. It has happened since football has been around. From the stuff I have heard spewed from Porter's mouth, I don't blame Sparano.

I've come to the conclusion that you write ignorant stuff just to stir the pot and because there are no repercussions for you. At least I hope it is to stir the pot because it would be scary if you believe half of it. Most people expected this. It has nothing to do with being right or him being able to be fired or kept next year. You realize this right?

This comes to mind everytime I read you

"Principal: Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I realize how stupid some of the posts on here were and how adamant poeple were that gary needs to go and how it pissed them off whenever someone spoke highly of Gary. Look at them now and you know who you were. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not sure if you know this but Parcells, Landry and a host of other HOF coaches were known to barely communicate with players who weren't respecting them. It has happened since football has been around. From the stuff I have heard spewed from Porter's mouth, I don't blame Sparano. [/I]

It's comforting to me to know that the coach I root for is a vastly superior man and coach, at least in this regard.

It's comforting to me to know that the coach I root for is a vastly superior man and coach, at least in this regard.

It has nothing to do with what kind of man he is. Landry is a legend and was a great man who was known for his faith. But Staubach and many others said he was stubborn about what he wanted done and when players didn't comply he could be known to let his coaches coach while he didn't have to say a word to them. They just knew. You are really just overplaying something that happens quite often. Some guys are screamers and some guys can say a ton by saying nothing.

Now Tom Landry was a Texas Hero and did coach Americas Team, When Jerry took over they lost that title and jerry was an ass to treat Tom the way he did. Now he has Tom in statue outside his new stadium, If I was Ms. Landry I would sue and have him take it down

I thought I've been pretty clear about not understanding why people have doubts about our coach.

I thought it was pretty clear to everyone that Gary Kubiak was not ready to be a head coach after the 2006 season. We could clearly see he had some learning to do.

Whether he brought them on himself, or they were forced on him, Gary's been hamstrung most of his HC career. I don't know if there was any truth to McNair requiring some veteran leadership on Gary's coaching staff... Mike Sherman, Richard Smith....

More Hamstringing... Kyle Shanahan... David Carr... Charlie Casserly..

I think this was the first year, that Kubiak grabbed his gnads, and said we're going to do it my way. & I like that.

Even with everything he's had to put up with, he's done a really good job building this team through the draft.

I think it is a testament to his coaching ability that we've got the #4 total offense & the only high draft pick he's used on offense was a LT. We're not breaking the bank on offensive FAs.... we're basically scrubs on offense, overachieving like a mother@#$. & we had no run game in 2009.

Defensively, again, mostly through the draft, he's put together a very impressive core of players, mostly through the draft. The talent on the defensive side of the ball is actually better than what we've got offensively....

I've never been a draft only guy, mainly because I believe that route takes longer.

Personally I don't understand how we can judge what he does on game day, or say we won or lost a game because of this decision, or that decision... when his young team still act like a young team. Inconsistency is one thing, but unpredictable is something totally different.

Raise your hands if you knew Slaton was going to develop a bad.... bad case of the drops.. If you knew we would lose our 2 starting guards 3 games into the season..

Raise your hands if you knew we would lose OD when the schedule got tough. Or that you knew KDub would only beat OD by 100 yards on the season despite playing 6 more games.

I'm not making excuses for the man. I recognize there is still a lot of learning & growing going on on the sidelines as well as on the field. When I talk about the foundation Kubiak is building, I recognize he's building it on the sidelines as well.

& though Andre Johnson has been our best player since we drafted him, & Schaub has been our QB since we gave two picks for him, neither were true leaders on this team, until this year.

Plain as day, I see the future of this team as well.... & it looks nothing like what you see.

Not saying my opinion is more valid than yours... just saying I honestly don't get your opinion.

You think Gary has been hamstrung? As in, not being able to do his job? As in, someone is holding him back?

Wow. Never mind.

I like the extension, I rate stability as an important component of long term success.

Kubiak is a great X-O's coach and the players seem to like him.

Now with the defence another year into its system we are on the right track.

You DO understand that an extension is more of a safety net for the Texans than it is for Kubiak, don't you? LOL.

Yeah, Joe. Our minds are truly changed now that Kubiak isn't working under a one-year contract.

Oops. I forgot. EVERY coach works under what is essentially a one-year contract.

We should have listened to you, Joe. Will you forgive us? :heart:

Well just for example look at last year and signing Antonio Smith. He was ranked as the 5th best DE but 2 guys in front were franchised and one, Jason Taylor was a one year at a time type of guy at the back end of his career. Going after Smith was going after a top realistic DE. Link. Year before, Reeves was the 6th FA DB with one franchised, one resigned with his team, one RFA and one signed to a giant contract. I'd like to have Asante back there but again they spent money to improve the team. Clearly there are Snyder's of the world that spend any amount - he and Jones are the classic examples - but it really hasn't worked out well for them. How about that Roy Williams trade?

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If you dont take a chace you're garunteed not to win.

I know you dont like to spend $ in FA. Hell I dont like having the team to spend $ in FA either. It is a necessary evil.

The good teams (the final 4 have all spent big $ in FA Indy not so much) bite the bullet and spend anyway.

Hou Spartan

Dont take my thinking McNair doesn't know what he's doing, Front office/player wise to think that I'm mad.

After the Tack Monday night game I realized that that game meant far more to the fans than to the Texans organization. I was mad but I realized there was nothing I could do about it. I vowed to not get emotionally envolved with this team again.

That's why I laughed in the games right after that. (blowing the game against INDY and the Jax HB pass game.) This is the kind of team McNair wants and that's the way it is.

I've learned to laugh about this bumbling stumbling organization that's led by the huckster named Bob McNair.

Just for all of you that say McNair didn't make a billion dollars making mistakes. Just because somebody is successful in one business doesn't mean they will be successful in another totally diferent business. In fact the odds are against a McNair team being successful with the good ole boy attitude that currently exists in this organization.

In the event we make the SUper Bowl we should take a week off before the Super Bowl and walk to Dallas from Reliant and have it sponsored. Between the sponsorship dollars and "football interest story" we could easily get in at "no cost."

Should that not work I will be going the old fashioned way.

Can I just walk from my home here in Dallas, instead? Not that I'm not devoted or anything but... well... you know... that woud be the suxor.

And if we make it to the SB here in Dallas, I might be willing to put someone up for the weekend. Providing they're clean and stuff. And provided the boss approves.

hooray. we just gave a .500 coach a 3year extension. Why not a lifetime contract, Bob? Why not just name the stadium after him. Kubiak Stadium. Why don't we just erect a statue of the guy outside the stadium. You could have him there with his Denny's menu turning away from watching the play because he doesn't have the balls to actually watch players compete. All huddled over like he just set off a firecracker and he is afraid of the noise its gonna make. The guy has done a great job with the offense but his teams play flat and he makes WAYYYY too many stupid decisions. Outcoached on an almost weekly basis.

can you say cheap ass owner? i sure can. mcnair's ability to make decisions is a joke.

EPIC FAIL and when it all comes back to bite us...again...
maybe one day Bob will release that being a carebear owner has failure written all over it.

half the fans want Kubiak fired and they re-sign the guy...sounds like another brilliant decision he made.

MORON

In fact the odds are against a McNair team being successful with the good ole boy attitude that currently exists in this organization.

When you say, "good ole boy" do you mean "good ole boy" or do you mean "good character guys"?

Just ask'n

well guess this offense would have done wonders if we would have gotten rid of kubiak and after losing our offensive coordinator/QB coach

:sarcasm:

again, we knew this on or about Jan 2nd that Kubiak was staying, I don't see why there is a continued outroar

besides If Kubiak doesn't cut it after this year, he will be gone

I think McNair has favorites (one ex. K.Brown) and it doesn't matter that Kubes has been an average HC. He likes Kubes therefore McNair makes a judgement (contract extention) based on emotions. Rather than doing the prudent thing and let the 2010 season play out.

As far as players go L.Johnson could've been the difference in making the playoofs. Pollard spoke on his behalf. McNair said no to the move. Johnson helped Cincy make the playoffs, and had no problems on/off the field in Cincy. Meanwhile Texan fans got to continue to watch the greatness of C.Brown and get another year of watching other teams in the playoffs.

That is another example of the milk toast attitude I'm talking about.

hooray. we just gave a .500 coach a 3year extension. Why not a lifetime contract, Bob? Why not just name the stadium after him. Kubiak Stadium. Why don't we just erect a statue of the guy outside the stadium. You could have him there with his Denny's menu turning away from watching the play because he doesn't have the balls to actually watch players compete. All huddled over like he just set off a firecracker and he is afraid of the noise its gonna make. The guy has done a great job with the offense but his teams play flat and he makes WAYYYY too many stupid decisions. Outcoached on an almost weekly basis.

can you say cheap ass owner? i sure can. mcnair's ability to make decisions is a joke.

maybe one day Bob will release that being a carebear owner has failure written all over it.

half the fans want Kubiak fired and they re-sign the guy...sounds like another brilliant decision he made.

MORON

LOL. That is a pretty good mental image of what the statue should look like.

Nicely done.

I think McNair has favorites (one ex. K.Brown) and it doesn't matter that Kubes has been an average HC. He likes Kubes therefore McNair makes a judgement (contract extention) based on emotions. Rather than doing the prudent thing and let the 2010 season play out.

As far as players go L.Johnson could've been the difference in making the playoofs. Pollard spoke on his behalf. McNair said no to the move. Johnson helped Cincy make the playoffs, and had no problems on/off the field in Cincy. Meanwhile Texan fans got to continue to watch the greatness of C.Brown and get another year of watching other teams in the playoffs.

That is another example of the milk toast attitude I'm talking about.

You're catching quite a bit of heat for the things you are saying.

This post that you just made? I agree with it.

If we wanted to do all we could do to make the playoffs, we had two chances to upgrade the RB position. It's not a "forever fix," but it could have helped alleviate the pain we endured once Owen Daniels got hurt and the running game started feeling the after-effects of his injury.

Once Owen Daniels was hurt, character issues (including Jacoby Jones' sick, twisted and completely evil act of being late for a meeting) should have taken a back seat to the very real NEED of adding anyone who might be able to produce some positive yards and plays.

And that includes finding a kicker to come in and seize a golden opportunity. That non-move, IMO, is even worse than not trying to sign Larry Johnson and failing to sign Cedric Benson. If you're a kicker out there, you know that there aren't many chances to (a) get a shot with a team mid-year, and (b) possibly go into the playoffs if you come in and nail your kicks. You could be sitting on a pretty sweet trip. So if you're that kicker, do you maybe go 100% let-it-all-hang-out and show you got the goods?

Instead, you got Kris Brown who knew dang well that he was never going to get cut no matter how many FGs or PAT's he missed. The Texans sabotaged themselves by allowing him to trot out there game after game, when everyone with half-a-brain knew Kris Brown was done for the season. It's not even to be argued about. Is it? I mean, can we all agree that our head coach failed to properly address the situation with Kris Brown? Good guy and everything, but he needed to be benched or cut. Period.

So this is where the anger for Kubiak resides. It resides in the knowledge that not EVERYTHING was done, nor was every possible avenue explored, to really get us to the playoffs. That's the empty feeling that some people have spoken of on here, when they talk about how they feel right now.

Slaton gets benched for fumbles. Jacoby can't play in a divisional game. Yet Chris Brown is tossing HB passes and Kris Brown is permitted to suck his way through the rest of the season? There is some serious continuity issues with Gary Kubiak. Maybe that's trickling its way out into each week's game-planning and even the game-day strategy and coaching efforts? Could roster decisions by Kubiak be a snapshot of what else is going on in other areas of the team?

It's certainly plausible. So the little shame-game that's going on against the so-called "soapers" is just comical to me. There's no shame in saying you're fed up with Gary Kubiak's leadership when you look at Rex Ryan and Sean Payton's trips to the playoffs. Owen Daniels injury aside, we could have played the Colts better than the Jets did.

MORON

LOL. Second Honeymoon, I was wondering where you were. Good to see you in this conversation.

And here's the icing on the cake: The invoices for the season ticket holders are starting to roll in this week. McNair wants his first payment - with an increase of course - by the end of this month. Great.

LOL. Second Honeymoon, I was wondering where you were. Good to see you in this conversation.

And here's the icing on the cake: The invoices for the season ticket holders are starting to roll in this week. McNair wants his first payment - with an increase of course - by the end of this month. Great.

Accept mediocrity or don't accept mediocrity. Show your approval or show your disapproval.

Put your money where your mouth is or be McNair's *****.

If you're so unhappy, walk away.

Instead, you got Kris Brown who knew dang well that he was never going to get cut no matter how many FGs or PAT's he missed. The Texans sabotaged themselves by allowing him to trot out there game after game, when everyone with half-a-brain knew Kris Brown was done for the season. It's not even to be argued about. Is it? I mean, can we all agree that our head coach failed to properly address the situation with Kris Brown? Good guy and everything, but he needed to be benched or cut. Period.

So this is where the anger for Kubiak resides. It resides in the knowledge that not EVERYTHING was done, nor was every possible avenue explored, to really get us to the playoffs. That's the empty feeling that some people have spoken of on here, when they talk about how they feel right now.

GP,

Damn, I wish I could rep you again. The bolded parts were brilliant. And you perfectly explained that "empty" feeling a lot of us had. After the Pat's game, there was just this numbness. I just wasn't feeling all that happy. Something was missing.

I think you nailed it: We could have made the playoffs, but, we didn't have the balls to make tough decisions. We just don't have the killer attitude, either on the field or in the offices.

OK.

You guys feel an empty numbness. You think more could have been done. You think mistakes were made at all levels. You think you were gypped.

I think we got that.

When are you going to stop whining about it?

Accept mediocrity or don't accept mediocrity. Show your approval or show your disapproval.

Put your money where your mouth is or be McNair's *****.

If you're so unhappy, walk away.

Dude, that's such a simple answer. The point is is that a lot of season ticket holders are furious, and McNair doesn't seem to care. And, just for the record, I have put my money where my mouth is. For five years. I say I'm a fan, and I have proven it with my cash.

OK.

You guys feel an empty numbness. You think more could have been done. You think mistakes were made at all levels. You think you were gypped.

I think we got that.

Uh, if you go back and look at the start of this thread, it was the pro-Kubiak people who were on here like, "Nyah, Nyah, Nyah. We won! You didn't!"

What's funny about all of that taunting is that Karma is a first class *****.

Give it a year.

Dude, that's such a simple answer. The point is is that a lot of season ticket holders are furious, and McNair doesn't seem to care. And, just for the record, I have put my money where my mouth is. For five years. I say I'm a fan, and I have proven it with my cash.

And then you say you're not going to accept mediocrity but you keep giving them your cash. If you're that furious, then be a man. Walk away until they fix the problem. If you say you're not going to accept it, then put your money (or lack thereof) where your mouth is.

And you come on this board and you bring your furiousness and pain up in thread after thread. Now, granted, THIS is a thread to bring it up in, but you bring it up in threads where it has nothing to do with anything.

Uh, if you go back and look at the start of this thread, it was the pro-Kubiak people who were on here like, "Nyah, Nyah, Nyah. We won! You didn't!"

What's funny about all of that taunting is that Karma is a first class *****.

Give it a year.

And what have you and the other soapers been doing in thread after thread?

And then you say you're not going to accept mediocrity but you keep giving them your cash. If you're that furious, then be a man. Walk away until they fix the problem. If you say you're not going to accept it, then put your money (or lack thereof) where your mouth is.

And you come on this board and you bring your furiousness and pain up in thread after thread. Now, granted, THIS is a thread to bring it up in, but you bring it up in threads where it has nothing to do with anything.

Hell no. I bring it up if it's appropriate. If you haven't noticed lately, quite a few threads - unfortunately - devolve into "Kubiak" threads, which kind of sucks. But it happens.

And, in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not the only one who is angry. This is not just me being the lone pissed off Texan fan.

And what have you and the other soapers been doing in thread after thread?

You know what? I was pissed at first when they gave him his final year of his contract. But, then, I got over it after a week. What's done is done. This is a different story. This is rewarding him for naught.

But, as has been pointed out, he can still get canned.

And, for the record, I've never gotten into that "soaper" nonsense.

OK.

I think we got that.

Hey, man. We're unhappy that our team's coach didn't man-up and somehow find a way to swallow some ego/pride and do more to get this team into the playoffs. The issues we had are not minor. Kris and Chris is HUGE in terms of positioning us for the playoffs this past season--Having those two guys do what they did, and continuing to run them out there week after week, is something I expected out of Kubiak in his first season when he seriously had no other options to go with. But not THIS year. Not with the way the defense really improved and Matt stayed healthy and finally showed that he gets it.

You, on the other hand, are upset at US.

See the difference?

We find fault with the guy who makes big bucks, and has just been extended. Though I (and others) are aware that Kubiak being extended is no big vote of job security, and I (and others) fully understand that. You sit on your judgment seat and throw stones at those around here who are just sick and tired of the Mickey Mouse'ing that exists with this head coach. Grown men, like Gary Kubiak, do NOT change their stripes overnight--And he sure as heck isn't changing them over a four or five-year period. It should be obvious, by now, that he's hit his ceiling. But he's got a puncher's chance. And that's what has some of you guys scared. You're afraid he's going to hit a bulls-eye, from 1,000 yards out, with a BB gun. So be it.

2010 will be it. It's going to cut one way or another. If I am wrong, I get to eat crow...but I still get to enjoy eating crow because my team found a way to finally get to the playoffs. If non-soapers are wrong, you get to go through the stages of mourning that we have already gone through and moved on from.

I stayed with David Carr up until the very end. I just knew that he could be salvaged and that he could turn it around. I voted with my heart. Instead of voting with my head (that thing that has eyeballs and lets us SEE things). So I pretty much decided that it doesn't take very long in the NFL to know what you have. Which then brings up the issue of God Of The Patriots who seems to have so much in common with Gurry Kubiak.

And the circle of life repeats itself....

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If you dont take a chace you're garunteed not to win.

I know you dont like to spend $ in FA. Hell I dont like having the team to spend $ in FA either. It is a necessary evil.

The good teams (the final 4 have all spent big $ in FA Indy not so much) bite the bullet and spend anyway.

No it isn't not liking to spend money in free agency, it is wisely spending money instead of just trying to make a glitzy move. That's my point about Antonio Smith - big but not insane money spent to definitely upgrade the team. I'd rather do that with three guys for $35 mil average than one guy for $100 mil. I'm not seeing "the good teams" comment as correct. As you admit Indy doesn't do it. New Orleans has improved the most off signing a rejected QB, a malcontent TE, an incredibly lucky 7th WR, a LB who didn't fit the system of a coach since fired and an over the hill FS - none of whom were top tier free agents or at least any higher than I am talking about.

Larry Johnson? Really? Dude had 1 good game against one of the worst run D's in the league. But in any event that wasn't the kind of high dollar FA we were discussing.

The point is is that a lot of season ticket holders are furious, and McNair doesn't seem to care.

No, McNair didn't agree. Huge difference between not agreeing and not caring.

No it isn't not liking to spend money in free agency, it is wisely spending money instead of just trying to make a glitzy move. That's my point about Antonio Smith - big but not insane money spent to definitely upgrade the team. I'd rather do that with three guys for $35 mil average than one guy for $100 mil. I'm not seeing "the good teams" comment as correct. As you admit Indy doesn't do it. New Orleans has improved the most off signing a rejected QB, a malcontent TE, an incredibly lucky 7th WR, a LB who didn't fit the system of a coach since fired and an over the hill FS - none of whom were top tier free agents or at least any higher than I am talking about.

Larry Johnson? Really? Dude had 1 good game against one of the worst run D's in the league. But in any event that wasn't the kind of high dollar FA we were discussing.

I agree with this. Some people are saying we should go after Julius Peppers. But, he's going to be looking for a major contract. And he's, what, 30? Not sure he'd be worth big money for us at this point.

I could be wrong, and he could still have a lot left in the engine. But from where I sit, Peppers may not be worth the potential money. At least not for us.

EDIT: Just saw your comment about me saying McNair doesn't care. Fair point. There is a difference.

Hou Spartan

Dont take my thinking McNair doesn't know what he's doing, Front office/player wise to think that I'm mad.

After the Tack Monday night game I realized that that game meant far more to the fans than to the Texans organization. I was mad but I realized there was nothing I could do about it. I vowed to not get emotionally envolved with this team again.

That's why I laughed in the games right after that. (blowing the game against INDY and the Jax HB pass game.) This is the kind of team McNair wants and that's the way it is.

I've learned to laugh about this bumbling stumbling organization that's led by the huckster named Bob McNair.

Just for all of you that say McNair didn't make a billion dollars making mistakes. Just because somebody is successful in one business doesn't mean they will be successful in another totally diferent business. In fact the odds are against a McNair team being successful with the good ole boy attitude that currently exists in this organization.

Damn. Steel. You sound just like me after the Tacks game. My reaction
to the "DooDoo Brown" play was a hard belly-laugh. This team has to earn
my emotional investment again. Some fans say "Well, wasn't this team
EXCITING!!??"

Professional teams don't get payed to be "exciting."

Professional teams get paid to WIN.

When teams win, emotions are invested into them. I'm waiting on my Texans
to open up their first account.

I think Julius Peppers is a gamble, just like Haynesworth was.

I don't want the money issues and possible side-effects that will be associated with grabbing him off the market.

Of course, that sort of gamble paid off for Jared Allen who was heralded a lot less than Peppers ever was.

It seems that free agency is as big of a gamble as the draft is. Although there has to be ways to know that you're getting a potentially "good" return on your investment. There just has to be a way. Like with Haynesworth, there were a LOT of analysts and even casual fans who were skeptical that the Redskins could land Haynewsorth AND have him play like he did with the Titans. There were a lot of warning signs there, via some character issues.

But then you have Jared Allen. He had some off-the-field character stuff going on, where you really wonder if the guy can hold it all together and be the man the Vikings thought he could be.

It's tiring just thinking about free agency and its pitfalls.

You know what? I was pissed at first when they gave him his final year of his contract. But, then, I got over it after a week. What's done is done. This is a different story. This is rewarding him for naught.

But, as has been pointed out, he can still get canned.

And, for the record, I've never gotten into that "soaper" nonsense.

As I have ponted out, this extension means nothing.

And if you think you've gotten over something, then you should go back and look at some of your posts.

2010 will be it. It's going to cut one way or another. If I am wrong, I get to eat crow...but I still get to enjoy eating crow because my team found a way to finally get to the playoffs. If non-soapers are wrong, you get to go through the stages of mourning that we have already gone through and moved on from.

The extension means nothing. 2010 is Kubes' make or break year.

And on that we agree.

The rest of this is just pure BS and whining. You haven't moved on from anything. If you had moved on, then you wouldn't be making the posts you make. You're still re-hashing what you consider mistakes and errors over and over and over. Making the same points over and over and over again without adding any new information. Some agree with your points and some don't. But we all understand it and there's no reason to go over it again.

As I have ponted out, this extension means nothing.

And if you think you've gotten over something, then you should go back and look at some of your posts.

Again: I am over him getting his final year of his contract. I am not over him getting the extension. It just happened TODAY. And, yes, I'm pissed about it.

Again: I am over him getting his final year of his contract. I am not over him getting the extension. It just happened TODAY. And, yes, I'm pissed about it.

The extension doesn't mean anything.

If Kubes fails, he'll still be let loose.

Now, the definition of "fail" is going to be open to debate and my definition isn't going to be your definition isn't going to be McNair's definition.

But getting upset over this extension is pointless.

The extension means nothing. 2010 is Kubes' make or break year.

And on that we agree.

The rest of this is just pure BS and whining. You haven't moved on from anything. If you had moved on, then you wouldn't be making the posts you make. You're still re-hashing what you consider mistakes and errors over and over and over. Making the same points over and over and over again without adding any new information. Some agree with your points and some don't. But we all understand it and there's no reason to go over it again.

Oh, so the pro-Kubiak crowd doesn't re-hash old, tired arguments without adding new information. You're being a bit biased with your assertions on this.

This is like saying that only Republicans are scoundrels who lie and steal and corrupt their way to the top. That's junior high'ish, PN, and you know it.

Both sides throw their rocks and bottles at each other. It's how it goes. It's schoolyard rules. Watch the alley fight in the movie Anchorman.

The topic is ABOUT so-called Pink Soapers. Nobody is off-topic here, OK?

And as far as your assertion that I haven't moved on? I didn't sulk and cry when I saw the news that McNair extended Kubiak. The definition of "moving on" is that you are able to accept and adjust to what has happened, as well as to anticipate (and deal with) similar hurts that are bound to occur in the future. I am un-phased with this news of Kubiak's extension.

Why?

Because it's only a safety net for the Texans, in case he hits his bulls-eye with his BB gun. This is essentially Kubiak's version of the David Carr extension. McNair was afraid to let eithe one walk into a tricky situation, so he does the prudent thing and retains the questionable assets for one more closer look. One more year.

Is Kubiak better at his job than Carr was at his? Yes, I have no problem saying that the two are separate in terms of quality when compared side-by-side. But Kubiak is still not good enough to receive MY vote of confidence.

And if a fan wants to feel that way, he can. I agree that it's getting old to talk about this. But this thread was started, and we're all adults here. Choices have been made. And here we are.

The extension doesn't mean anything.

If Kubes fails, he'll still be let loose.

Now, the definition of "fail" is going to be open to debate and my definition isn't going to be your definition isn't going to be McNair's definition.

But getting upset over this extension is pointless.

Well, not everyone reacts the same way.

I was over it in about .5 seconds.

He is taking a bit longer. Big deal.

There's a lot of judgmental attitudes flying around on this issue, which is sort of funny and sort of sad. Oh well. Like I said: We're all adults, and choices have been made about participating in this discussion in this thread. And I am right there in the mix of things, as well. No finger-pointing from me.

Common ground: We all want the Texans to win and get to the playoffs, the extension is really not a Kubiak safety net--it's a Texans safety net--and Vince Young and the Titans can kiss our rears.

:fans:

Most people are upset over this extension because of the thought Kubiak didn't "deserve" it. This could be true, but it doesn't mean the extension was a bad idea. There's been lots of examples given why already (continuity, free agents, hiring coaches, etc). But I see this as really similar to a player's situation. You run the risk of losing them to free agency. Players get their contracts renewed all the time without "deserving" them. It's out of necessity sometimes and its just part of the game/business. So is overpaying for free agents sometimes.

Now there are different rules regarding signing coaches from other teams vs. players and free agents but the concept is similar.

This extension shows confidence in the direction the organization is going. It tells Kubiak that we think you are the right guy and we support you 100%. He signs an extension with what I'm sure have incentives attached if we reach # of wins or most likely advancement in playoffs.

But what happens if we don't extend his contract now?
(A) Texans don't make playoffs: Now we have to decide whether to keep Kubiak or not. If not, then what coach out there could we pick up that would be better than him? There's also the chance that some other team likes what Kubiak did here, in terms of building the foundation and wants them for their organization... we could lose him even if we want him. This is a possibily although maybe unlikely b/c this seems like such a great opportunity for him (Houston, player/coaches, owner, etc.)

(B) Texans do make the playoffs: Now we think that we definitely want him long term. But now Kubiak's leverage and bargaining position is MUCH higher than it was a year prior. Also more teams may be interested in his services so we could either lose him to them or they could drive his asking price up.

This could be a risky move. Coaches have more ability to leave than players do. But McNair thinks Kubiak is a good investment. In a business sense, he's buying the stock at a lower price now because he thinks it could cost more in the future. So whether or not Kubiak "deserved" this extension, I think it was a really good idea, for tons of reasons. That's one thought anyways.

Last edited:
Most people are upset over this extension because of the though Kubiak didn't "deserve" it. This could be true, but it doesn't mean the extension was a bad idea. There's been lots of examples given why already (continuity, free agents, hiring coaches, etc). But I see this as really similar to a player's situation. You run the risk of losing them to free agency. Players get their contracts renewed all the time without "deserving" them. It's out of necessity sometimes and its just part of the game/business. So it overpaying for free agents sometimes.

Now there are different rules regarding signing coaches from other teams vs. players and free agents but the concept is general.

This extension shows confidence in the direction the organization is going. It tells Kubiak that we think you are the right guy and we support you 100%. He signs an extension with what I'm sure have incentives attached if we reach # of wins or most likely advancement in playoffs.

But what happens if we don't extend his contract now?
(A) Texan don't make playoffs: Now we have to decide whether to keep Kubiak or not. If not, then what coach out there could we pick up that would be better than him? There's also the chance that some other team likes what Kubiak did here, in terms of building the foundation and wants them for their organization... we could lose him even if we want him. This is a possibily although maybe unlikely b/c this seems like such a great opportunity for him (Houston, player/coaches, owner, etc.)

(B) Texans do make the playoffs: Now we think that we definitely want him long term. But now Kubiak's leverage and bargaining position is MUCH higher than it was a year prior. Also more teams may be interested in his services so we could either lose him to them or they could drive his asking price up.

This could be a risky move. Coaches have more ability to leave than players do. But McNair thinks Kubiak is a good investment. In a business sense, he' buying the stock at a lower price now because he thinks it could cost more in the future. So whether or not Kubiak "deserved" this extension, I think it was a really good idea, for tons of reasons. That's one thought anyways.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Your scenario would be feasible if we had a coach that has shown some sense of success, someone like Tony Sparano. That situation would be difficult. Kubiak has ZERO leverage. None.

If the Texans don't make the playoffs, the answer is simple. Fire him. There is middle ground there, no hand wringing. He should be fired. Period.

And, please, can we stop with the "who else could we get to come here?" argument. That's simply not true that we couldn't attract a top shelf coach.

Gary has no leverage with this team. What Gary has is a 31-32 record (or something like that) as a coach and a 7-17 record in his division (which is a telling sign of how good a coach is, btw).

As I said earlier, we are going to become the team that fires it's coach, hires someone else, and wins the Super Bowl right after. Then it will be debated for years about how Coach X won with Kubiak's players. Just like the Tampa/Jon Gruden/Tony Dungy saga.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back