Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know that. For all we know Smith and McNair signed Dennison in part representing they were working on extending Kubiak. Odds are this extension has been in the works for a while.

That's exactly what I was thinking. As TC has already pointed out, McClain's been expecting this since the season ended, and she credited it to some "little birdies" telling him.

I'm thinking if the birdies were willing to share with McLain, there very well may have been a few folks ahead of him in the pecking order of info sharing, including every assistant coach they hired.

As a fan that thinks Kubiak has turned this team completely around and can be the coach to lead us to the promised land, this makes me even more excited for our future.

Because there is faction that have already made up their minds that Kubiak is a "mediocre" coach who will never take it to the next level, and have now got the red ass that McNair doesn't see it that way, and are now throwing the David Carr thing at him.

Sour grapes. The pink soapers didn't get it their way. Can't wait until they come back later and say "Well, um . . um . . I'll eat crow now".

:rolleyes:

This is so freaking childish. This "us vs them" mentality is pathetic to say the least especially when we're all from the same fan base. People have their opinions based off of what they see and what they evaluate. It isn't as if you've got some leg to stand on like Kubes has won a SB or something or that Mcnair had some ten years of success with another HC in the NFL in the 90's or something. I've got no problem with people who support Gary Kubiak as fans. That's their right to their opinion and they're obviously rooting for the same team I am regardless of what I may think or anyone else rooting for the Texans. I've got no problem with anyone that doesn't like the way the guy coaches either. They wouldn't be criticizing him if they weren't compassionate fans. And for the people that can admit when they're wrong or that "their opinion" might not have been correct, well good for them. You certainly could learn a thing or two from that.

I'm good with this. If he was gonna stay for another year, he needed to get extended.

There's no decent free agents or assistant coaches that want to come to a team with uncertainty at head coach.

McNair must think it's alright to be mediocore. That's what this extension says to me.

Why wouldn't McNair feel this way? While his team has been an utter failure on the fieild, the marketing arm of the orginazation has been a sucess beyond his wildest dreams. He's making $ why change a good thing?

McNair says he's doing the extention to help lure FA's. This is great. Now it's time for Uncle Bob to step up to the plate and spend the $ that it takes to get the best FA's in this uncapped year. I'm not talking about the A.Smith type FA. I'm talking about the best FA's Seymour, Peppers type guys.

Hopefully Kubes will continue to improve as a HC. As Texan fans this is all we have left for optmisim.

With this years schedule I can see another 9-7,7-9 season. There will be more excuses and people will say that we were a better team than last year. Which will be true but being better but continiously average isn't good enough.

Looks like there will be 2 more years of medicore football at Reliant.

I hope I'm wrong. I dont get the guys that say people that want Kubes gone aren't getting their way. Every Texan fan wants one thing, THE TEXANS TO BE A WINNER.

Hopefully McNair is right about Kubes. His opinion is the only one that counts.

McNair must think it's alright to be mediocore. That's what this extension says to me.

Why wouldn't McNair feel this way? While his team has been an utter failure on the fieild, the marketing arm of the orginazation has been a sucess beyond his wildest dreams. He's making $ why change a good thing?

Do you actually believe that?

This doesn't surprise me. We've been the milktoast team of the NFL for 8 years, so why would that change now?

For the definition-challenged: milktoast - easily dominated; extremely mild; ineffectual; namby-pamby; wishy-washy

There is nothing in the past four years to really challenge this notion. 7-17 in our division and 8 wins against winning teams in 64 games/4 years. Milktoast.

'eh, it is what it is. I've gone from low expectations to no expectations. But I'll be there rooting for the Texans in 2010. Go team go. :texflag:

This is one problem I have with this a pretty legit one if Gary gets canned in 2011 then Bob has to pay him whatever amount they are paid when that happens. Why not wait this next season out and see how things go? Won't this take away some cash in order to sign key players to long term deals and other free agents?

He gets a 3 year deal.......

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6847569.html

Texans coach Gary Kubiak has agreed to a new three-year contract that begins this year and runs through 2012.

Rather than sign an extension through 2013, including an option year, Kubiak agreed to a deal that allows the last year of his original 5-year, $10-million contract to be torn up, meaning the new contract will kick in as soon as he signs it.

Kubiak wanted his contract to expire after the 2012 season - the same as his assistant coaches.

"I'm real excited about it," Kubiak said. "Bob (McNair) has always been very good to me. I respect him a great deal. I'm glad he's got the confidence in me to finish what we started when we came here. We've got a great opportunity to have something real special."

Kubiak's news coaches have been signing three-year contracts that expire after the 2012 season. His returning coaches got two-year extensions.

"I want to be on the same path as them," he said. "I think that's important. It shows we're all in this together."

If Kubes is getting an extension until 2013, he probably has to go Capers in order to get the axe next year. Unlike players coaches money is normally guaranteed in the NFL. If I saw a one or two year thing, then, I would accept that Kubiak is playoffs or bust, but I am not buying that McNair is going to just pay good ole Gary four years of pay for 1 year of work w/o it being obvious that he made a huge mistake. (See extending Carr).

He gets a 3 year deal.......

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6847569.html

Texans coach Gary Kubiak has agreed to a new three-year contract that begins this year and runs through 2012.

Rather than sign an extension through 2013, including an option year, Kubiak agreed to a deal that allows the last year of his original 5-year, $10-million contract to be torn up, meaning the new contract will kick in as soon as he signs it.

Kubiak wanted his contract to expire after the 2012 season — the same as his assistant coaches.

"I'm real excited about it," Kubiak said. "Bob (McNair) has always been very good to me. I respect him a great deal. I'm glad he's got the confidence in me to finish what we started when we came here. We've got a great opportunity to have something real special."

Kubiak's news coaches have been signing three-year contracts that expire after the 2012 season. His returning coaches got two-year extensions.

"I want to be on the same path as them," he said. "I think that's important. It shows we're all in this together."

This information places Kubiak closer to the do it in 2010 or your gone than the initial reports that he was going to get an extension until 2013 or longer. A couple of years is not unusual for teams to eat, but the prospect at 3 or 4 years was too much. Much closer to what I expected and quite frankly to my liking.

Do you actually believe that?

Yes and what has happened since this franchises inception to make that statement seem untrue to you.

Give examples where McNair has re-invsted the $ that he's made off the fan base either on top notch coaches. (1st time GM,HC,OC,DC) or top tier FA. McNair always pays a little above market value for a 2nd tier FA A.Smith) While his franchise keeps going up in value. The Texans are currently the 6th most valuable franchise in the NFL.

If McNair is keeping Kubes so that as he said the team can attract FA's this offseason then fine. The proof will be in the pudding. Or this may just be another PR move with the intention to keep the $ rolling in.

This information places Kubiak closer to the do it in 2010 or your gone than the initial reports that he was going to get an extension until 2013 or longer. A couple of years is not unusual for teams to eat, but the prospect at 3 or 4 years was too much. Much closer to what I expected and quite frankly to my liking.

Yep, no impact on the cap. From a fan standpoint that is all I care about. Coach money is McNair money.

Mark Berman of Fox 26 Sports in Houston reported last night that Texans head coach Gary Kubiak will be receiving a contract extension as early as next week.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported the deal will be at least three years, through the 2013 season.

Kubiak is entering the final year of his current contract

The extension was expected and deserved considering where Kubiak has taken the team since his arrival in 2006. The only thing that would surprise me is if the extension is for more than three years.

Progress has been slow, painfully slow it seems, but there's no question progress is being made, But the time to win is now because Kubiak's first draft class including core players like Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Eric Winston and Owen Daniels are entering their 5th season. Andre Johnson is entering his 8th season. Matt Schaub is in his prime.

This business is a series of high stakes bets for NFL owners, and giving Kubiak this extension is a clear sign that McNair thinks he has a winning hand.

Despite their 9-7 record and playoff near miss, one could argue that the Texans underachieved in 2009 by blowing several close games with critical fumbles, missed field goals, getting stuffed at the one yard line as time runs out, or calling bizarre halfback option passes near the goal line.

Fumbles and missed field goals aren't on the coaches. And the next time you hear someone vaguely criticize the Texans play calling, or say 'I was watching on TV and my cocker spaniel was barking out the plays before they were called,' remind them that the Texans had a top five offense - with no running game in 2009,

But Kubiak isn't without his faults.

He did a better job with coaches challenges in 2009 but there are still things in the area of game management/clock management that can be improved.

I've questioned some of his leadership characteristics, although it's clear that the players (and the owner) love him. So that part may just be my imagination,

Most important, he hasn't figured out how to beat his AFC South opponents on a consistent basis.

Least important is where he went to college. And it seems that a group of 'fans' just can't let that go.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...0m2d2-Reports-Kubiaks-contract-being-extended

Color me a fan of the pickups of Antonio Smith, Bernard Pollard, Kevin Bentley, Kevin Walter, Vonta Leach, Matt Schaub and yes... even the 6th rd pick we traded for Chris Myers. As much as I wanted a big name free agent, I've always been more of a fan of building up the base of your team before spending top FA $'s. I think our team still has plenty of holes to fill before we're elite, but I think we've got such a great foundation. Now is the time to add that 1 maybe 2 guys to take us to the next level.

With that said, at what cost do you do this (and for who) without running the risk of not being able to re-sign your own top free agents in the future. The Top Tier $ FA's will have huge ramifications on the payroll and cap (if/when its "reinstated"). We're drafting bonafide studs right now. Matt Schaub, Mario Williams, Dunta Robinson, Antonio Smith, Eric Winston, Jacques Reeves, Amobi Okoye, Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Duane Brown and Owen Daniels. All those guys contracts will expire with Kubiak's new extension or before. Andre Johnson is the only one signed through 2014.

I'm totally for getting a key guy through FA that is an elite player at his position. Let's use DT/NT for example. I think it'd do wonders. But we all need to realize if... no when we do that, it will be at the expense of a fan favorite like Cushing (might go after top $'s). We all want guys like him to be on this team forever, but it's highly unlikely. Let's get back to the here and the now though... because NOW is the time for us to make that push. NOW is the time 2010, 2011 and 2012 that we have to be getting through the playoffs and being in the perennial super bowl talks. I also have pretty good faith in Smith and Kubiak to judge which players can make that difference. Unfortunately it really might not be this offseason's FA's.

Come on, guys.

Chill out about the Pink Soap (putting it away or pulling it out) or the McNair Mediocrity oozing through Houston or whatever. This extension doesn't mean that anyone is right or anyone else is wrong.

We all want the same thing. We want to win. A lot.

We know that Kubiak is going to be our coach at the beginning of next season. And that's pretty much all we know. And we knew that before this extension was signed.

If Kubiak flames out at the beginning of the season, he's almost definitely gone. Some are expecting that and some aren't. And we'll see when we see.

What we should be concentrating on now are free agency and the draft. Kubiak and Smith's abilities are really irrelevant at this point. They are what we have. One way or the other.

Yes and what has happened since this franchises inception to make that statement seem untrue to you.

Give examples where McNair has re-invsted the $ that he's made off the fan base either on top notch coaches. (1st time GM,HC,OC,DC) or top tier FA. McNair always pays a little above market value for a 2nd tier FA A.Smith) While his franchise keeps going up in value. The Texans are currently the 6th most valuable franchise in the NFL.

If McNair is keeping Kubes so that as he said the team can attract FA's this offseason then fine. The proof will be in the pudding. Or this may just be another PR move with the intention to keep the $ rolling in.

Casserly and Capers were well regarded and not bargain basement. He paid for Sherman and Alex Gibbs. He has brought in guys at the top of their off-season positions. Wade was listed as the top UFA OT that off-season. Robaire Smith was a top 3 DT that off-season. Walker got a fat contract. He paid a lot of money for a gamble on Schaub. He could have saved himself a bunch of money by not extending Carr. They went after Orlando Pace. Clearly not all of those decisions worked out well for the team but they demonstrated a willingness to spend money. No they haven't gone after the Haynesworth blockbuster guys but that isn't proof he is cheap. It isn't even my money and I am against those deals 95% of the time.

Steel,

I'm just as angry about this as you are, and am wondering what McNair is thinking.

However, I've never thought of McNair as a cheap owner. I really don't think he is. In fact, I would say he's often been the other way, tossing open the vault so we can pay scrubs.

If Kubiak wanted to fly every single player to Hawaii for three months for training camp, McNair would say yes in three seconds.

But there's the rub, and my frustration with him: He sometimes says yes a bit too much...

I like this deal. It creates the appearance of a stable coaching situation to players potentially joining the Texans, but in reality Kubiak's job is in as much danger as it was a week ago. Firing Kubiak after next season is still an option with only 2 years left on his contract. Having a coach with no contract for the next season creates a lot of uncertainty and doubt in a locker room.

Well, when Houstonspartan jumps on this thread and begins to predict "another 7-9 season"... even though there hasn't been one of those under Kubiak, it does give the impression that the guy isn't exactly hoping for the team's success. After all, we were 9-7 this season. The off-season hasn't even started yet. Surely a fan can be cautiously optimistic at this point and still voice his trepidation for the coach. But, not him, I guess.

Oh, sure. I hope they fail. Yeah, I've invested five years of being a season ticket holder in this team because I want them to fail.

Give me a break. I live, breathe, eat and sleep this team.

I'm being real. Gary's performance record suggests 5 or 6 losses in the division alone. Do I hope I'm wrong? Of course. And I will admit it. But that's not going to stop me from giving a fair, honest assessment of this team.

not sure why anyone is surprised or upset now , McNair basically said Kubiak would be back at the beginning of this year

Casserly and Capers were well regarded and not bargain basement. He paid for Sherman and Alex Gibbs. He has brought in guys at the top of their off-season positions. Wade was listed as the top UFA OT that off-season. Robaire Smith was a top 3 DT that off-season. Walker got a fat contract. He paid a lot of money for a gamble on Schaub. He could have saved himself a bunch of money by not extending Carr. They went after Orlando Pace. Clearly not all of those decisions worked out well for the team but they demonstrated a willingness to spend money. No they haven't gone after the Haynesworth blockbuster guys but that isn't proof he is cheap. It isn't even my money and I am against those deals 95% of the time.

Were Gibbs and Sherman paid top $ as their position coaches? I dont know the answer to this.

As far as FA goes CC were well regarded? Casserely screwed up Washington before getting fired. The NFL league offices held Casserly in high regard. Which is why McNair hired Casserly. Capers was known as a guy that knew how to start up a franchise. When he left Carolina it took 2 coaches Seifert/Fox) for the Panthers to get back to the playoffs.

I dont know where Wade/R.Smith etc. were rated in their FA classes but I'm not suprised Casserly screwed up decisions in FA.

I hope that McNair will decide to give Smithiak the same luxury in aquiring top tier FA's as he did Casserly. (I doubt this will happen)

..... what has warranted an extension? 1 winning season? Maybe a 2nd this upcoming year? Ahh it is what it is.

4 years ago, when Gary accepted the job, where did you think this team would be 4 years later?

I'm going to assume that we have underperformed your expectations, but how far under the bar are we?

Do you think we are on the right track? or do you think we are wasting our time?

I like this deal. It creates the appearance of a stable coaching situation to players potentially joining the Texans, but in reality Kubiak's job is in as much danger as it was a week ago. Firing Kubiak after next season is still an option with only 2 years left on his contract. Having a coach with no contract for the next season creates a lot of uncertainty and doubt in a locker room.

exactly, bottom line is Kubiak has to get this team to the playoffs next season and if he doesn't I imagine he is gone (unless the Texans go 11-5 and still miss it or something crazy like that)

:lol: Eff you pink Soap droppers[/QUOTE

You dont get it we all want the Texans to win. Now that Kubes has signed his extension I'm all behind him. I dont think it was wrong to ? the wisdom behind giving him an extention.

So enough with the giggling icon and you can take my pink soap and stick it up your a**.

4 years ago, when Gary accepted the job, where did you think this team would be 4 years later?

I'm going to assume that we have underperformed your expectations, but how far under the bar are we?

Do you think we are on the right track? or do you think we are wasting our time?

Thunder,

Fair enough. I respect your thoughts, even though we often don't agree. No doubt we have come a LOOOOONG way. And we are currently a good, solid team.

But we still appear to be stumbling and bumbling our way around the field. And we have too much talent for that. I think that's where the frustration sets in.

I think we're on the right track, but that's a complicated question.

Here's where I think we're headed: In the next four or five years, the Texans will go to the Super Bowl. And we will win it. However, Kubiak won't be the coach. He will have been fired by then, and a new coach will come in and take us where we need to go fairly quickly.

Then, we will become one of those Super Bowl teams that will be debated for years to come: Coach X took the Texans to the Super Bowl, but with Kubiak's players...etc...

I can see it plain as day. That's what's setting up right now. It happens all the time in the NFL. As a fan, I don't care WHO coaches us to the Super Bowl. Just get us there.

When I think about the players on this team, I get excited. No joke. My adreneline starts pumping. But when I think about the coach, I don't get excited. It's not that I hate the team. I just have serious doubts about the coach.

Does that make sense?

Steel,

I'm just as angry about this as you are, and am wondering what McNair is thinking.

However, I've never thought of McNair as a cheap owner. I really don't think he is. In fact, I would say he's often been the other way, tossing open the vault so we can pay scrubs.

If Kubiak wanted to fly every single player to Hawaii for three months for training camp, McNair would say yes in three seconds.

But there's the rub, and my frustration with him: He sometimes says yes a bit too much...

This is the way I've seen it, too. I've heard a couple of people complain that McNair is a penny pincher but I don't think there could be anything further from the truth than that.

The last couple of years, we've had one of the largest coaching staffs in the NFL. That's paying money.

Back in the C&C days, we threw money at guys that didn't deserve it under the excuse that good FAs wouldn't want to come here because we were new and didn't have a good team. That put us into salary cap hell with dead money out the ass and Smith has had to dig us out from under that.

I think McNair wants a perennial power house here and he's trying to do the right things to do that. What he thinks are the right things and what some posters on this board thing are the right things might not correspond, but I don't think it's because of the money involved.

Kubiak got the extension but he will still be fired next season if he doesn't improve and get this team in the playoffs.

I do agree, if this team isn't better at the end of the season than we are now, the man should go.

I don't agree with the "play-offs" being part of the equation. Remember, it's possible to go 11-5 in the AFC and not make the play-offs.

Unless you are saying the goal should be to win the division. I don't agree that should be where the bar should be set, but I can understand, "Win the division or be gone." more than "Get in the play-offs or be gone."

This, to me, is more for what McNair said, posturing in free agency ...

I'm not buying that. It's not like we go after the top free agents. I doubt Anthony Weaver, Antonio Smith & Eugene Wilson were too concerned about our coaching situation.

If I were a RB, TE, or WR, I would almost kill to be part of this offense.

If I were a CB, DT, FS... DE, Houston may not be my first choice, but Mario, Demeco, & Cushing would be more of a draw than the future of the head-coach.

But, that's just me.

When I think about the players on this team, I get excited. No joke. My adreneline starts pumping. But when I think about the coach, I don't get excited. It's not that I hate the team. I just have serious doubts about the coach.

Does that make sense?

I'm not TK, but...

I'm fine with that and I understand that. What gets me is when the rhetoric gets into hyperbole mode.

Personally, I think Kubiak is as good of a coach as a Tom Coughlin or a Brian Billick or maybe even a Dick Vermiel. I look at the talent on this team and, like you, I get excited about it. But I think we're going to get more talented and deeper and better. I just don't think we've hit the ceiling. And I think that's the difference between our positions.

I'm not TK, but...

I'm fine with that and I understand that. What gets me is when the rhetoric gets into hyperbole mode.

Personally, I think Kubiak is as good of a coach as a Tom Coughlin or a Brian Billick or maybe even a Dick Vermiel. I look at the talent on this team and, like you, I get excited about it. But I think we're going to get more talented and deeper and better. I just don't think we've hit the ceiling. And I think that's the difference between our positions.

Good point. I see what you mean.

And, I don't totally think he's a useless coach. One of the things I like is his ability to pick a diamond in the rough in late draft rounds and turn them into super stars. Some people get annoyed by that and say that Kubiak should stop drafting "projects," but I like that he does it.

Guess we all have our opinions.

"I like to draft projects"

signed

Charlie Casserly

:gun:

with that bad joke, Kubiak and Smith have done well drafting in the late rounds

Good point. I see what you mean.

And, I don't totally think he's a useless coach. One of the things I like is his ability to pick a diamond in the rough in late draft rounds and turn them into super stars. Some people get annoyed by that and say that Kubiak should stop drafting "projects," but I like that he does it.

Guess we all have our opinions.

And at least he's an offensive minded head coach that was able to build a powerful offense and pick up a QB who could possibly be considered elite. Unlike Billick, whose offense never sniffed at what he had in Minnesota when he was an OC and was never able to do better than 14th in yards from scrimmage.

It's done an over with. Some of us expect Kubiak to fail, some of us expect Kubiak to succeed, but those who I think are realistic about all this don't know what to expect and are just hoping for success. We still got free agency, the draft, and training camp before the season starts. And one thing we should ALL know by now is those three things can change a season.

'eh, it is what it is. I've gone from low expectations to no expectations. But I'll be there rooting for the Texans in 2010. Go team go. :texflag:
I see where you're coming from. But, I still have high expectations. Talent can trump coaching. And the Texans have talent that is maturing. I expect that talent to take over in 2010. I'm puting it on Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, Matt Schaub, DeMeco Ryans, and Brian Cushing to lift their teammates to a championship level.

So it's time to put the pink soap away for...now. It's time to start winning, and winning big. I don't want to hear from the head coach that a 10-6 record and the playoffs are an acceptable goal. All I want to hear is how the Houston Texans will become the next champions of National Football League. I expect to hock everything I can, buy a ticket to Jerry Jones' Taj Mahal, and watch my football team win Super Bowl XLV.

It's done an over with. Some of us expect Kubiak to fail, some of us expect Kubiak to succeed, but those who I think are realistic about all this don't know what to expect and are just hoping for success. We still got free agency, the draft, and training camp before the season starts. And one thing we should ALL know by now is those three things can change a season.

Booya! Count me in this third group. Expect nothing but hope for the best! Go team go. :texflag:

I dont know where Wade/R.Smith etc. were rated in their FA classes but I'm not suprised Casserly screwed up decisions in FA.

I hope that McNair will decide to give Smithiak the same luxury in aquiring top tier FA's as he did Casserly. (I doubt this will happen)

Well just for example look at last year and signing Antonio Smith. He was ranked as the 5th best DE but 2 guys in front were franchised and one, Jason Taylor was a one year at a time type of guy at the back end of his career. Going after Smith was going after a top realistic DE. Link. Year before, Reeves was the 6th FA DB with one franchised, one resigned with his team, one RFA and one signed to a giant contract. I'd like to have Asante back there but again they spent money to improve the team. Clearly there are Snyder's of the world that spend any amount - he and Jones are the classic examples - but it really hasn't worked out well for them. How about that Roy Williams trade?

Oh, sure. I hope they fail. Yeah, I've invested five years of being a season ticket holder in this team because I want them to fail.

Give me a break. I live, breathe, eat and sleep this team.

I'm being real. Gary's performance record suggests 5 or 6 losses in the division alone. Do I hope I'm wrong? Of course. And I will admit it. But that's not going to stop me from giving a fair, honest assessment of this team.

This is what you said on page one!: "That's exactly what's going to happen. He's going to get complacent, sit on his butt, ignore the division games, bring us to 7-9, and say "It's all on me.""

Perhaps I'm missing something?

I do. You should grab a mirror.

I have years of reciepts that prove that I'm not a shitty fan. I put my money where my mouth is. I'm lucky that I am able to do so.

Well, I don't live in Houston, so I don't think going to games in Reliant is a fair measure of what makes a good fan or not. You probably live in Houston. I'm in Austin so I would have to drive almost 3 hours each way just to go to a football game. That would mean, if I wanted to tailgate before all those noon games, I'd need to leave Austin at 5:30 am and wouldn't get back home until late in the evening.

Oh, I just grabbed a mirror, and saw an Austinite that has been a season ticket holder since 2002 and has made probably 50 of those roundtrips. Thanks for the suggestion!

Perhaps Kubiak would be more deserving of this deal if he was more like Tony Sparano, right?:

Here's a snippet from rotoworld.com:

"Dolphins OLB Joey Porter revealed that he and Tony Sparano never spoke a word to each other after his mid-November suspension".

man, that's the kind of leadership Kubiak needs to use more: The silent treatment! If he behaved more like a 14 year old girl, imagine how successful the team could've been last year! Kudos to TONY SPARANO! 6 weeks of the silent treatment. IMPRESSIVE!

This is what you said on page one!: "That's exactly what's going to happen. He's going to get complacent, sit on his butt, ignore the division games, bring us to 7-9, and say "It's all on me.""

Perhaps I'm missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. That's what I predicted their record would be next year. I guess you're saying that's "fail." Perhaps. I consider fail to be in the 3-13, 2-14 range.

I expect to hock everything I can, buy a ticket to Jerry Jones' Taj Mahal, and watch my football team win Super Bowl XLV.

In the event we make the SUper Bowl we should take a week off before the Super Bowl and walk to Dallas from Reliant and have it sponsored. Between the sponsorship dollars and "football interest story" we could easily get in at "no cost."

Should that not work I will be going the old fashioned way.

Well, I don't live in Houston, so I don't think going to games in Reliant is a fair measure of what makes a good fan or not. You probably live in Houston. I'm in Austin so I would have to drive almost 3 hours each way just to go to a football game. That would mean, if I wanted to tailgate before all those noon games, I'd need to leave Austin at 5:30 am and wouldn't get back home until late in the evening.

Oh, I just grabbed a mirror, and saw an Austinite that has been a season ticket holder since 2002 and has made probably 50 of those roundtrips. Thanks for the suggestion!

No, of course I don't think going to Reliant is a fair measure of what makes a good fan. I know people that have never been to Reliant, and are ravid, mad dog Texan fans.

Last year, I was talking to a company out of state about a job and relocating. If it had worked out, I had decided I would keep my Texans tickets. Yep. I would fly down for most of the home games. Cheap tix to Houston are easy to find, and I have some miles saved up. Yep, I'm that hard core.

But, that's irrelevant. We're all intense fans here. We get excited over different things is all.

Whatever, you t-sipping tree hugger. You call that commitment? :kitten:

There are two reasons that this extension is a complete no-brainer.

First, the extension won't keep Kubiak from getting fired if he performs badly. The difference in money is in line with one year of Anthony Weaver's old contract -- hardly an obstacle to changing the entire direction of an NFL franchise.

Second, next year is likely to be a strange offseason with a lockout looming over every decision made. Once McNair decided to keep Kubiak this year, it made no sense to consider replacing him next year with a lockout looming. What top-tier head coach would join a team just in time for a lockout?

The only way McNair would consider firing Kubiak before late in the 2011-2012 season is if the labor situation is cleared up before next year's Superbowl. If the Texans enter the 2011 offseason with the labor situation still uncertain, McNair won't attempt to change coaches. The new coach would have almost no chance to succeed with such uncertainty.

Given the way things are going in the labor negotiations, Kubiak is almost certain to be the coach through the end of the 2011-2012 season. At that point, he will have only 1 year left on his new contract.

When you combine McNair's decision to keep Kubiak next year with the labor situation looming over the following year, the extension is a complete no-brainer.

Perhaps Kubiak would be more deserving of this deal if he was more like Tony Sparano, right?:

Here's a snippet from rotoworld.com:

"Dolphins OLB Joey Porter revealed that he and Tony Sparano never spoke a word to each other after his mid-November suspension".

man, that's the kind of leadership Kubiak needs to use more: The silent treatment! If he behaved more like a 14 year old girl, imagine how successful the team could've been last year! Kudos to TONY SPARANO! 6 weeks of the silent treatment. IMPRESSIVE!

LOL. We actually agree on something.

No, Kubiak shouldn't behave like that. That's not motivating players. That's just being a jerk. For a coach to not talk to a player for six weeks is just ridiculus.

No, you're not missing anything. That's what I predicted their record would be next year. I guess you're saying that's "fail." Perhaps. I consider fail to be in the 3-13, 2-14 range.

We lost 1 game by more than one score last year. We have 8 draft picks and plenty of money to spend. We have the youngest team in the NFL... Yet, on Feb. 2nd, you are predicting this team will lose two games more than it did last year and have it's worst season since 2006. Based on what?... the fact that the coach who hasn't had a losing season since 2006 signed an extension? If you aren't hoping it happens, then what is the basis for that prediction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back