Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the event we make the SUper Bowl we should take a week off before the Super Bowl and walk to Dallas from Reliant and have it sponsored. Between the sponsorship dollars and "football interest story" we could easily get in at "no cost."

Should that not work I will be going the old fashioned way.

I'm in. I'll make the walk. No question. Oh wait!!!!! A fuccking RV was just added to my family tree!!!! Well, I'd still walk if it got me in for free.

By the way Austin Texans, I'm officially starting the "help Barrett continue to have season tickets" movement. That's right, I said RV!!!!!!!!!

if we go 10-6 and still miss the playoffs will kubes be gone ????? LOL

or how about next year 9-7 gets u in and we get blwon out the WC game ???? to like kansas city or something LOL will kubes be gone

if the texans make the superbowl we should have a texans fan march to dallas LOL walk all the way to dallas LOL how long would that take ???? maybe horse and cart would be better LOL

***just a notice, fyi, or in case you are interested***

Hey Rookie, Welcome To The NFL is on ESPN2 @ 2:00am CST. Brain Cushing is one of the players they focus on. Really cool show. Didn't want to start a second thread.

Apologies, saw this thread was busy, just trying to help. Carry on. :hides:

& though Andre Johnson has been our best player since we drafted him, & Schaub has been our QB since we gave two picks for him, neither were true leaders on this team, until this year.

Plain as day, I see the future of this team as well.... & it looks nothing like what you see.

Not saying my opinion is more valid than yours... just saying I honestly don't get your opinion.

Great points all of them. Specifically the one about AJ. Nobody talks about that but he has undoubtedly carried this team on his humble shoulders this past year. (especially the last 5) . But I couldn't agree more with the statements above. Great, great, post.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Your scenario would be feasible if we had a coach that has shown some sense of success, someone like Tony Sparano. That situation would be difficult. Kubiak has ZERO leverage. None.

If the Texans don't make the playoffs, the answer is simple. Fire him. There is middle ground there, no hand wringing. He should be fired. Period.

And, please, can we stop with the "who else could we get to come here?" argument. That's simply not true that we couldn't attract a top shelf coach.

Gary has no leverage with this team. What Gary has is a 31-32 record (or something like that) as a coach and a 7-17 record in his division (which is a telling sign of how good a coach is, btw).

As I said earlier, we are going to become the team that fires it's coach, hires someone else, and wins the Super Bowl right after. Then it will be debated for years about how Coach X won with Kubiak's players. Just like the Tampa/Jon Gruden/Tony Dungy saga.

Oh well.

To each their own. But I refuse to believe owners and general managers around the league don't see how much of an improved team the texans are. Who's to say Denver doesn't get fed up with McDaniels after this season and want to bring in ole Kubes!

Bringing in a new coach is a very real issue. It's been talked about a lot but it's there. I have no doubt coaches would be lined up down Kirby to try and get the HC gig here.... but who's to say their coaching philosophy will align with McNair and Smith? Finding THE coach for this team is hard... find A coach is easy. We'd have plenty of guys to choose from sure... but change for the sake of change is not the best business model. And it sure as hell ain't McNair's.

Kubiak's leverage comes next year if he takes us 11-5 and we advance to the AFC Championship game (for example). His contract is up. That's when he's got the leverage, what is his contract then? Right now McNair and Smith know what they have in Kubiak and they've got the leverage right now. Kubiak is making $2MM a year right now, if McNair negotiates a long term deal after a successful next season what's it going to be? $4MM...$5MM a year?

I think you're right, if we do end up getting a new coach and he fits in with our model, he could be very successful. But I think a HUGE part of that will be because of the team Kubiak and Smith built up. The Draftees, the Free Agents and the Coaching Staff.

these posts are pretty fun. i'm not going to quote and respond to a mile of posts, so here's some potshots. :fingergun:

gp's in mourning over a 9-7 season that missed the playoffs by conference tiebreaker. somebody get that man a hug!

steelb wants larry johnson who helped the bengals reach the playoffs. the bengals totalled 9 rushing touchdowns this season (6 to benson, 0 to johnson - and 3 go to the quarterback), where as the texans had 13 rushing touchdowns (3 to slaton, 3 to brown - none to the quarterback). we had an absolutely aweful running game this season and the bengals had a great one by their standards. i know it goes against everything "soapers" believe in (attitude, free agency, madden) so i'll give this one for free ... a better arguement would be playing arian foster sooner - more carries, better YPC, and 3 more touchdowns than johnson.

second honeymoon doesnt like something the texans did, which makes me feel safe knowing all's right in the world.

here's my 2 cents. i like the extension obviously, and not for the common reasons posted (consistancy, 2011 uncertainty, assistant coaches, free agents). mcnair emphasized one word twice in my reading of his comments - foundation. this is what kubiak's built. even in a building season like this one where no fewer than 6 rookies see significant playing time and we acquire hopefully a long-term staple on defense in week 3, we're a tiebreaker away from our first playoff berth. that's the foundation mcnair is focused on, and one we're just now in position to start adding accessories to to reach the next level.

bone-head calls aside. management's favoritism aside. every other flaw with kubiak and mcnair and browns and the ball-boy that the forum agrees upon aside. isnt this the team we asked for? 5 probowlers under 29 years old? winning record? a chance at consistancy and realized improvement both now and the forseeable future? we have a foundation built, taught, and coached by kubiak that has nowhere to go but up. if kubiak sticks to his tendancies these next few seasons ... sticks to players too long, gets a value free agent or few, sits the right guy at the wrong time or doesnt sit the wrong guy at the right time, finds a stud or two in the draft and a handful of good depth picks, brainfarts playcalling a couple times, coaches an elite offense and deligates on defense, and everything else i'm missing ... if those things continue, what's the worst that happens, 8-8? realistically 9-11 wins? fortune smiles on us for 12-14 wins?

Last edited:
No it isn't not liking to spend money in free agency, it is wisely spending money instead of just trying to make a glitzy move. That's my point about Antonio Smith - big but not insane money spent to definitely upgrade the team. I'd rather do that with three guys for $35 mil average than one guy for $100 mil. I'm not seeing "the good teams" comment as correct. As you admit Indy doesn't do it. New Orleans has improved the most off signing a rejected QB, a malcontent TE, an incredibly lucky 7th WR, a LB who didn't fit the system of a coach since fired and an over the hill FS - none of whom were top tier free agents or at least any higher than I am talking about.

Larry Johnson? Really? Dude had 1 good game against one of the worst run D's in the league. But in any event that wasn't the kind of high dollar FA we were discussing.

Wasn't Drew Brees a FA pickup?

The Saints secondary stunk last year. How did they address the problem?

Added Sharper,Greer in FA and drafted Jenkins. Those are bold moves that helped get them in the playoffs.

I sure would like to see the Texans make some moves like this. If the Texans had let Dunta walk they could've signed both Sharper and Greer. Instead they chose to hardball Dunta (which I agreed with) and ended up with a half a** disgruntled whiny DB.

The Vikings were built mainly through FA. As were the Jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with what kind of man he is. Landry is a legend and was a great man who was known for his faith. But Staubach and many others said he was stubborn about what he wanted done and when players didn't comply he could be known to let his coaches coach while he didn't have to say a word to them. They just knew. You are really just overplaying something that happens quite often. Some guys are screamers and some guys can say a ton by saying nothing.

The way a person treats people, even at work, does say something about the kind of man he is. It's scary, frankly, that a person would argue that isn't so.

By the way, being "a legend" and a "Christian" doesn't shield Tom Landry from criticism for how he handled/treated his players. He was a real SOB and had regrets at the end of his life for his coldness towards them.

these posts are pretty fun. I'm not going to quote and respond to a mile of posts, so here's some potshots. :fingergun:

Gp's in mourning over a 9-7 season that missed the playoffs by conference tiebreaker. Somebody get that man a hug!

Steelb wants larry johnson who helped the bengals reach the playoffs. The bengals totalled 9 rushing touchdowns this season (6 to benson, 0 to johnson - and 3 go to the quarterback), where as the texans had 13 rushing touchdowns (3 to slaton, 3 to brown - none to the quarterback). We had an absolutely aweful running game this season and the bengals had a great one by their standards. I know it goes against everything "soapers" believe in (attitude, free agency, madden) so i'll give this one for free ... A better arguement would be playing arian foster sooner - more carries, better ypc, and 3 more touchdowns than johnson.

Second honeymoon doesnt like something the texans did, which makes me feel safe knowing all's right in the world.

Here's my 2 cents. I like the extension obviously, and not for the common reasons posted (consistancy, 2011 uncertainty, assistant coaches, free agents). Mcnair emphasized one word twice in my reading of his comments - foundation. This is what kubiak's built. Even in a building season like this one where no fewer than 6 rookies see significant playing time and we acquire hopefully a long-term staple on defense in week 3, we're a tiebreaker away from our first playoff berth. That's the foundation mcnair is focused on, and one we're just now in position to start adding accessories to to reach the next level.

Bone-head calls aside. Management's favoritism aside. Every other flaw with kubiak and mcnair and browns and the ball-boy that the forum agrees upon aside. Isnt this the team we asked for? 5 probowlers under 29 years old? Winning record? A chance at consistancy and realized improvement both now and the forseeable future? We have a foundation built, taught, and coached by kubiak that has nowhere to go but up. If kubiak sticks to his tendancies these next few seasons ... Sticks to players too long, gets a value free agent or few, sits the right guy at the wrong time or doesnt sit the wrong guy at the right time, finds a stud or two in the draft and a handful of good depth picks, brainfarts playcalling a couple times, coaches an elite offense and deligates on defense, and everything else i'm missing ... If those things continue, what's the worst that happens, 8-8? Realistically 9-11 wins? Fortune smiles on us for 12-14 wins?

what he said!

***just a notice, fyi, or in case you are interested***

Hey Rookie, Welcome To The NFL is on ESPN2 @ 2:00am CST. Brain Cushing is one of the players they focus on. Really cool show. Didn't want to start a second thread.

Apologies, saw this thread was busy, just trying to help. Carry on. :hides:

Hey! What do you think you are doing? We are far to busy trashing the Texans coaching staff, the players and other posters to be paying attention to stuff like this. Be gone you with that sort of nice news, we don't want to see any of that stuff in here!

The way a person treats people, even at work, does say something about the kind of man he is. It's scary, frankly, that a person would argue that isn't so.

By the way, being "a legend" and a "Christian" doesn't shield Tom Landry from criticism for how he handled/treated his players. He was a real SOB and had regrets at the end of his life for his coldness towards them.

What is scary is that you take the game of football so seriously that you live in this lala land where every coach doesn't confront these issues and that Kubes is somehow a Saint of coaches out there. It is the players jobs too and if they aren't doing it or are disrespecting the coach then the coaches have only so many ways they can deal with it. Some use the silent treatment. That isn't disrespectful if it gets a players attention. Some are screamers and get in guys faces. Some try to be calm and talk to the guys. Sometimes it works.

Players get on the field, talk noise, run amok and do things they wouldn't do in the real world. Afterward they shake hands and laugh and some huddle and pray. As many a player and coach has said there is a field persona and an off field persona. They can be separate because it is a game.

Treating someone with respect can sometimes mean saying nothing instead of things you will regret.

these posts are pretty fun. i'm not going to quote and respond to a mile of posts, so here's some potshots. :fingergun:

gp's in mourning over a 9-7 season that missed the playoffs by conference tiebreaker. somebody get that man a hug!

steelb wants larry johnson who helped the bengals reach the playoffs. the bengals totalled 9 rushing touchdowns this season (6 to benson, 0 to johnson - and 3 go to the quarterback), where as the texans had 13 rushing touchdowns (3 to slaton, 3 to brown - none to the quarterback). we had an absolutely aweful running game this season and the bengals had a great one by their standards. i know it goes against everything "soapers" believe in (attitude, free agency, madden) so i'll give this one for free ... a better arguement would be playing arian foster sooner - more carries, better YPC, and 3 more touchdowns than johnson.

second honeymoon doesnt like something the texans did, which makes me feel safe knowing all's right in the world.

here's my 2 cents. i like the extension obviously, and not for the common reasons posted (consistancy, 2011 uncertainty, assistant coaches, free agents). mcnair emphasized one word twice in my reading of his comments - foundation. this is what kubiak's built. even in a building season like this one where no fewer than 6 rookies see significant playing time and we acquire hopefully a long-term staple on defense in week 3, we're a tiebreaker away from our first playoff berth. that's the foundation mcnair is focused on, and one we're just now in position to start adding accessories to to reach the next level.

bone-head calls aside. management's favoritism aside. every other flaw with kubiak and mcnair and browns and the ball-boy that the forum agrees upon aside. isnt this the team we asked for? 5 probowlers under 29 years old? winning record? a chance at consistancy and realized improvement both now and the forseeable future? we have a foundation built, taught, and coached by kubiak that has nowhere to go but up. if kubiak sticks to his tendancies these next few seasons ... sticks to players too long, gets a value free agent or few, sits the right guy at the wrong time or doesnt sit the wrong guy at the right time, finds a stud or two in the draft and a handful of good depth picks, brainfarts playcalling a couple times, coaches an elite offense and deligates on defense, and everything else i'm missing ... if those things continue, what's the worst that happens, 8-8? realistically 9-11 wins? fortune smiles on us for 12-14 wins?

:perfect10:

"You sir are a steely-eyed missleman". Rep!

Added Sharper,Greer in FA and drafted Jenkins. Those are bold moves that helped get them in the playoffs.

I sure would like to see the Texans make some moves like this.

I have made clear from the beginning the Texans have made mistakes. My main points were to address McNair being cheap and the kinds of FAs to go after. Drew Brees was a two time probowl FA who only two teams were interested in because of his shoulder surgery.

How is going after Jabari Greer more bold than going after Jacques Reeves?
How is going after Sharper (who had 1 INT and 4 PD's his last year with the Vikes) for a 1 year $1.7 mil contract because many thought he was done such a bold move or a bolder move than going after Eugene Wilson?

How is drafting Jenkins more bold than drafting Cushing?

Oh Yea I forgive each of you So lets get down to planning to Win some Football Games and put all this I hate the Coach Crap Behind us. Believe me I know you pink soapers Will pop it out as soon as the players hit the showers but We need to focus on the draft and putting a Better team on the feild right now.

I sure would like to see the Texans make some moves like this. If the Texans had let Dunta walk they could've signed both Sharper and Greer. Instead they chose to hardball Dunta (which I agreed with) and ended up with a half a** disgruntled whiny DB.

The Vikings were built mainly through FA. As were the Jets.

I have made clear from the beginning the Texans have made mistakes. My main points were to address McNair being cheap and the kinds of FAs to go after. Drew Brees was a two time probowl FA who only two teams were interested in because of his shoulder surgery.

How is going after Sharper (who had 1 INT and 4 PD's his last year with the Vikes) for a 1 year $1.7 mil contract because many thought he was done such a bold move or a bolder move than going after Eugene Wilson?

Dang, beat me to in infantrycak.

Drew Brees? We traded two 2nd round picks and moved down 2 spots in the 1st round to get Matt Schaub. That was a bold move.

Saints picked up Darren Sharper and signed him to a 1 year $1.7MM deal. Texans went after Eugene Wilson and signed him to a 3 year $11.3MM deal. He was 5 years into the league with 3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 Super Bowl Wins. We wanted a guy in the secondary that had a winning background and successful playoff experience.

Saints picked up Jabari Greer who had previously been with the Bills. Prior years stats were 38 tackles, 7 pass deflections and 2 interception. Signed a 4year $22MM contract with $10MM guaranteed. Texans picked up Jacques Reeves to a 5 year $20MM contract and $8MM gtd. His prior year he had 60 tackles 12 pass deflections and 1 interception.

I'm not saying we got the better deal or that Brees, Sharper, Greer aren't as good as our guys. Not at all:) But as infantrycak pointed out... we had huge needs at QB, FS and CB as well and we DID address them. McNair DID open up his pocket book and go after guys to add to this team.

Drew Brees? We traded two 2nd round picks and moved down 2 spots in the 1st round to get Matt Schaub. That was a bold move.

Saints picked up Darren Sharper and signed him to a 1 year $1.7MM deal. Texans went after Eugene Wilson and signed him to a 3 year $11.3MM deal. He was 5 years into the league with 3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 Super Bowl Wins. We wanted a guy in the secondary that had a winning background and successful playoff experience.

Saints picked up Jabari Greer who had previously been with the Bills. Prior years stats were 38 tackles, 7 pass deflections and 2 interception. Signed a 4year $22MM contract with $10MM guaranteed. Texans picked up Jacques Reeves to a 5 year $20MM contract and $8MM gtd. His prior year he had 60 tackles 12 pass deflections and 1 interception.

I'm not saying we got the better deal or that Brees, Sharper, Greer aren't as good as our guys. Not at all:) But as infantrycak pointed out... we had huge needs at QB, FS and CB as well and we DID address them. McNair DID open up his pocket book and go after guys to add to this team.

Don't go to using logic or facts around here! What are you trying to do? :kitten:

must spread rep

LOL. Second Honeymoon, I was wondering where you were. Good to see you in this conversation.

And here's the icing on the cake: The invoices for the season ticket holders are starting to roll in this week. McNair wants his first payment - with an increase of course - by the end of this month. Great.

oh, I am well aware of the invoice about to hit the mailbox. was already on the fence about keeping my tickets, this sure didn't help the cause.

as long as Kubiak still gets fired if we miss the playoffs in 2010, I will stomach this move, but if its another blah-blah season of Kubiak screwups, he better get sent to the unemployment line and we better go out and get a legitimate top head coach like Cowher. to be honest, it may not even matter...we probably wont even have a Texans football season in 2011 much less a Kubiak-free Texans football season.

as for my absence, its purely based on the 2 month old little angel that we are raising. its been 7 years since we had our oldest and I think I mentally blocked out how hard it was and how much effort it takes.

Oh Yea I forgive each of you So lets get down to planning to Win some Football Games and put all this I hate the Coach Crap Behind us. Believe me I know you pink soapers Will pop it out as soon as the players hit the showers but We need to focus on the draft and putting a Better team on the feild right now.

JT, I agree with you on that one. We all want the same thing and that is a winner.

We need to use this offseason to set the Texans up to win in 2010 because there isn't going to be football in 2011 from the looks of it...and the 2012 season could be a huge difference in league/competitive structure.

what sucks is that our owner is one of hte hardline owners that wants to make more $$ and share less with the players. that may not work out in our favor competitively.

What he wants is Daniel Synder/Jerry jones type move. Go sign the most name brand player, no matter what it costs, what you think of the player, no matter how he fits into your system. Until we sign a player who carries the perception of being the best player available, then McNair will always be cheap.

Why is it automatically assumed that the Texans are going to regress and miss the playoffs next year? Kubiak hasn't taken a step back in his tenure here yet and you could argue that this last season was a huge step foward (even though only a one game improvement in the win column) especially on the defensive side of the ball. I don't get the negativity. They will continue to add to the roster via draft and free agency and improve our team. I just don't see why people are already penciling the Texans in to miss the playoffs when the track record has been steady improvement.

I for one am excited about what the Texans can do this next season.

What he wants is Daniel Synder/Jerry jones type move. Go sign the most name brand player, no matter what it costs, what you think of the player, no matter how he fits into your system. Until we sign a player who carries the perception of being the best player available, then McNair will always be cheap.

Let's clear something up because I saw Cak say this too. Jerry Jones in no way, shape or form does what Daniel Snyder does. Not even close. Snyder pulls in the biggest names and throws record contracts at them with no regard to cap, etc. Jerry failed on a Roy Williams trade but in general has been very smart with the cap and money and had brought in quality FAs or has spent almost low money on "flyers" who can be cut when they fail(see PM and Tank). TO was years ago and he didn't even break the bank for that. Last season they went after solid performers who could fit in...Keith Brooking, Igor Olshansky(run stopper who played with SD and Phillips) and Gerald Sensabaugh. They resigned Miles Austin..smartly. Kitna was in there too. All were key contributors this year and all were solid pick ups that made their signings some of the best. Olshansky was key because Chris Canty went to NY. The year before they resigned Flozell and brought in Zach Thomas...that was their splash...well.. Then they brought in PacMan with a cheap contract that allowed him to be gone...and he was. In 2007 they signed Brad Johnson, Martin Gramatica, Leonard Davis and Ken Hamlin. They resigned Andre Gurode and Mat McBriar. This idea that Jones does this every year when most in Dallas have complained about his inactivity is laughable.

Last edited:

You missed my point. The Saints had a problem at DB they addressed the problem. The Texans had problems at S/RB. How did they adress their probem? By signing an UDFA (Foster) and deciding Barber was a starting S and Busing was a suitable backup. They weren't willing to spend $ to get adequate players to fill these positions.

Smithiak got lucky, imagine if K.C. hadn't cut Pollard. The defense that we saw the 1st 3 weeks would've been the norm. Then I bet you would've been singing a different tune.

Greer got hurt last season and that's why his numbers dont look good when compared to Reeves. The Saints took a gamble on Greer and won. They got a no.1 CB at a fair price. Reeves was a good signing but he's nowhere as good a CB as Greer.

Stats dont always tell the whole truth.

Awesome!! Repped.

You missed my point. The Saints had a problem at DB they addressed the problem. The Texans had problems at S/RB. How did they adress their probem? By signing an UDFA (Foster) and deciding Barber was a starting S and Busing was a suitable backup. They weren't willing to spend $ to get adequate players to fill these positions.

Smithiak got lucky, imagine if K.C. hadn't cut Pollard. The defense that we saw the 1st 3 weeks would've been the norm. Then I bet you would've been singing a different tune.

Greer got hurt last season and that's why his numbers dont look good when compared to Reeves. The Saints took a gamble on Greer and won. They got a no.1 CB at a fair price. Reeves was a good signing but he's nowhere as good a CB as Greer.

Stats dont always tell the whole truth.

You are wrong here. The Texans didn't have a problem at running back last season (08). They were 13th overall averaging 115.4 ypg for the season with Slaton averaging 4.8 ypc and more than 1200 yards which was good for 6th overall. RB wasn't a problem until THIS year (09) which I'm sure they will address.

Yes the Texans probably got lucky with Pollard but the Saints definately got luck with Sharper. Regardless of luck or not they still adressed the problem.

I dont hate Kubes. In fact I like him.

I just think he has taken this organization as far as he can. I appreciate all of the hard work he's put in.

McNair disagrees with my position. I hope he's right and I'm wrong.

Although 8 yrs of history has me feeling pretty comfortable about my position.

You are wrong here. The Texans didn't have a problem at running back last season (08). They were 13th overall averaging 115.4 ypg for the season with Slaton averaging 4.8 ypc which was good for 6th overall. RB wasn't a problem until THIS year (09) which I'm sure they will address.

Yes the Texans probably got lucky with Pollard but the Saints definately got luck with Sharper. Regardless of luck or not they still adressed the problem.

The Texans had a problem with depth at RB and they needed a short yardage RB. They thought C.Brown and Foster were the answer. LOL This choice bit them in the rear.

There is a big difference between the Sharper luck and the Pollard luck.

Sharper luck is, he was signed in FA during the offseason went through TC with the team. The Saints got lucky that Sharper stayed healthy all season. Which is remarkable for a long in the tooth Vet.

The Texans on the other hand didn't address their problems during the offseason. Pollard got cut in the preseason. The Texans elected to wait unti after game 1 to sign him. Pollard wasn't ready to play with the Texans until game 4. This was one of the main reasons the Texans didn't make the playoffs. IMHO They were lucky some other team didn't sign him. If some other team had signed Pollard Kubes would probably be looking for another job instead of getting a contract extention.

Can you see the difference?

The Texans had a problem with depth at RB and they needed a short yardage RB. They thought C.Brown and Foster were the answer. LOL This choice bit them in the rear.

There is a big difference between the Sharper luck and the Pollard luck.

Sharper luck is, he was signed in FA during the offseason went through TC with the team. The Saints got lucky that Sharper stayed healthy all season. Which is remarkable for a long in the tooth Vet.

The Texans on the other hand didn't address their problems during the offseason. Pollard got cut in the preseason. The Texans elected to wait unti after game 1 to sign him. Pollard wasn't ready to play with the Texans until game 4. This was one of the main reasons the Texans didn't make the playoffs. IMHO They were lucky some other team didn't sign him. If some other team had signed Pollard Kubes would probably be looking for another job instead of getting a contract extention.

Can you see the difference?

absolutely everything you post is hindsight, and still wrong more often than not. at this point i'm anxious to hear which big free agents are available and who is going to win next year's DROY.

Luck luck luck. I'm going to preface this with saying I'm a huge Drew Brees fan. I'm just telling it like it is.

2001: Brees was drafted, played in 1 game and lost.
2002-2003: Mediocre as a starter, lost his job to Flutie.
2004: Phillip Rivers draft #4 overall, Brees all but done. River held out forcing SD to play Brees. Brees had a GREAT season and went to the Pro Bowl.
2005: Franchised, had a good season but injured his THROWING shoulder in the last game. Torn ligament, rotator cuff damage... required offseason surgery.
2006: SD was too worried about the injury and offered him an hugely incentive-laden deal. Miami backed out of contract negotions with him because they were worried witht the injury and didn't want to offer him a lot of money. Saints ponied up and gave him a really nice deal with guaranteed money.

Luck goes on with every team and Drew Brees was the best (and luckiest) thing that happened to the Saints in franchise history, in my opinion. We all know Brees has gone on to be very successful. But if his throwing shoulder hadn't fully healed or he had gotten hit on it and injured it again, the Saints franchise would be worse of than when they started. They'd have been in cap hell with no QB, no passing attack and an ineffective #2 overall pick. Their backup QB was a 13 year veteran whose career passing yards were that of DAVID CARR's in '04!

You mentioned something about having to roll the dice on occassion. The Saints certainly did and it was a huge success. We havn't really fared too well in a lot of high dollar FA acquisitions... but hopefully that will change and we'll score a homerun this offseason!!

at this point i'm anxious to hear which big free agents are available and who is going to win next year's DROY.

I suspect we're going to end up getting some decent guys closer to the season when teams start cutting their players. Not so much the scheduled free agents right now, but some guys that get cut (especially those overpaid).

And [insert Texans 1st/2nd round pick] as next year's DROY.... Earl Thomas anyone!?

This idea that Jones does this every year when most in Dallas have complained about his inactivity is laughable.

JJ doesn't throw money at problems in the same fashion as Snyder but he is attracted to baubles such as Pacman, TO and Roy Williams.

The Texans on the other hand didn't address their problems during the offseason.

Sure they did signing a DE and DT was addressing needs. And we don't know how many free agents the Texans approached but were unable to sign. This may be a tough year for free agents particularly those under 30 years old.

Pollard got cut in the preseason. The Texans elected to wait unti after game 1 to sign him. Pollard wasn't ready to play with the Texans until game 4. This was one of the main reasons the Texans didn't make the playoffs. IMHO They were lucky some other team didn't sign him. If some other team had signed Pollard Kubes would probably be looking for another job instead of getting a contract extention.

There was a report a deal was in place very quickly after the Chiefs let him go and the time delay was him getting a medical clearance to play.

I suspect we're going to end up getting some decent guys closer to the season when teams start cutting their players. Not so much the scheduled free agents right now, but some guys that get cut (especially those overpaid).

And [insert Texans 1st/2nd round pick] as next year's DROY.... Earl Thomas anyone!?

lol i was being facetious bud. my jab was at the hindsight club being barely half right after the fact (we should've signed xxxxx!!!), and wanting them to hindsight next season for us.

JJ doesn't throw money at problems in the same fashion as Snyder but he is attracted to baubles such as Pacman, TO and Roy Williams.

Yes, he can be. But he has gotten much smarter in FA the last few years. I like how he has resigned his top guys and filled in with some other guys, especially last off season. To tell you the truth, at the time of when it happened, I didn't mind the PM type contract. I didn't like PM or him on the team but the way Jerry set up the contract I was fine with because they allowed them to cut him and not lose much. More of a calculated risk. High risk/High Reward. I think Snyder just sees a top name, no matter position or fit and wants to spend 90-100 mil.

Yes, he can be. But he has gotten much smarter in FA the last few years. I like how he has resigned his top guys and filled in with some other guys, especially last off season. To tell you the truth, at the time of when it happened, I didn't mind the PM type contract. I didn't like PM or him on the team but the way Jerry set up the contract I was fine with because they allowed them to cut him and not lose much. More of a calculated risk. High risk/High Reward. I think Snyder just sees a top name, no matter position or fit and wants to spend 90-100 mil.

has JJ gotten smarter (TO, williams), or has he been limited by re-signing success that his coaches have drafted and coached up (ware, newman, romo)? seems to me that the only thing keeping jerry afloat is inspite of himself.

wow, every time I miss a day on the net I can always count on a big news event of some sort.

I expected an extention (said so a few weeks ago) so this isn't a shock. I also expected the Kubiak crowd to insult everyone else who isn't a big fan of Kubiak. It reminds me of the Carr era in that regard.

has JJ gotten smarter (TO, williams), or has he been limited by re-signing success that his coaches have drafted and coached up (ware, newman, romo)? seems to me that the only thing keeping jerry afloat is inspite of himself.

As I pointed out on the last page they have added more quality guys that are midlevel guys than what people think and have actually been relatively quiet with a few exceptions. Putting him in Snyder's league just doesn't work. Last year they filled needs with Wade guys and got leaders and blue collar guys in the process. Same with the 2 years before. Williams sucks, granted but TO was 4 years ago and he didn't break the bank. I commented on PM and Tank..flyers with no real cap repercussions. The conversation was regarding owners who just throw money at top FAs. Jerry isn't one of them these days and is usually quite smart with the cap and his money.

absolutely everything you post is hindsight, and still wrong more often than not. at this point i'm anxious to hear which big free agents are available and who is going to win next year's DROY.

It isn't hind sight at all. It's a no brainer. Sharper has been one of the ebst safties in the league for like 10 years now. Pollard, well he was a no name guy that the Chiefs didn't even want and over achieved this year. Hopefully he can have that same play next season, but I wouldn't bet the bank on it. I'm not doubting him either, but Sharper's been a stud with the Packers, the Vikes, and now with the Saints. And lets not forget about the fact that Dawkins was available as well and he had a very big impact on that Denver defense this season. Dawkins was one of the players I wanted most last off season.

And as far as the RB situation, uuummm a few of us were very upset on draft day when we didn't go after another RB in the first 3 rounds. We needed one for depth to play either behind Slaton or to share carries with Slaton and we didn't address that. I was pissed, and I heard a ton of stuff in here about how Jeremiah Johnson was going to be some stud for us and how he was the guy we got and didn't even have to draft him and yada yada. I don't think many expected Slaton to have the season he had this year and expected much more, but regardless now days you need at least two capable backs and the Gary Kubiak thought Chris Brown was capable of being in that role which knocked us out of the playoffs. SteelBTexan is exactly right about what we "didn't" do in the off season as far as addressing to needs.

wow, every time I miss a day on the net I can always count on a big news event of some sort.

I expected an extention (said so a few weeks ago) so this isn't a shock. I also expected the Kubiak crowd to insult everyone else who isn't a big fan of Kubiak. It reminds me of the Carr era in that regard.

Personally, I don't consider myself on either side of this debate. That said, the insults have come from both sides, Vinny. Also, I think a lot of flawed logic has come from the "soapers", trying to find more reasons to support their opinion.

In the end, can't we all get along...:grouphug:

thanks for the good word on my daughter, scooter. class act.

saying that I didn't like what the Texans are doing is a reason to think they are on the wrong track is pie in the sky thinking imho.

my track record as a Texans fan speaks for itself. hated the david carr pick. validated. hated the travis johnson pick. validated. hated the greenwood signing. validated. hated the weaver signing. validated. hated the Carr re-signing. validated. hated the Richard Smith retention. validated. hated the Chris Myers signing/trade. validated. and many many more. loved the Carr cut and Schaub trade. validated.

myself, vinny, kaisertoro, and a few others were the only people on this board that knew what a pile of crap Carr was while a lot yall had his poster in your high school lockers. i may have an opinion that some of yall dont like, but i know talent and i am not blinded by kool-aid or homerisms.

Kubiak is a .500 coach. that is a fact. almost every coach hired during his hiring has made the playoffs and some even had less to work with than Kubiak did. I will give Kubiak the credit that he plays in Peyton's division, and that is a tough road to hoe dont get me wrong, but at the end of the day its about winning and he hasn't done that. he is .500. period. why extend a guy who is .500? are you afraid of losing him?

kubiak wouldn't get a sniff of another HC job anywhere else. he would be hired instantly as an OC though, and he has done a remarkable job with the offense. he is just a poor motivator and bad at in game decisions and adjustments. abysmally bad. gets outcoached by rookie head coaches. the fact that he called a timeout to let Caldwell take another look at that goalline fumble v. the Colts was my last straw. all he had to do was QB sneak with Schaub and get the play off. If he does that, we win and we are in playoffs. Did you see Ryan (rookie head coach) not let that happen to his team in their game against the Colts. He had Sanchez instantly QB sneak the ball before Caldwell could gather his thoughts and make a decision. They lost the game but that was a big play and showed the difference between a quality coach and a quality head coach. Gary is a quality coach but is sorely lacking in the head coaching department. flatlining performances. aww shucks mentality. can't even watch plays transpire.

Personally, I don't consider myself on either side of this debate. That said, the insults have come from both sides, Vinny. Also, I think a lot of flawed logic has come from the "soapers", trying to find more reasons to support their opinion.

In the end, can't we all get along...:grouphug:
the so called soapers are talking about the team and giving opinion about the coach. The Kubiak crowd seems to talk more about insulting the posters. That's what I see as similar to the Carr situation. Some goes both ways of course...I expected the extension but I'm not a fan of Kubiak as a HC. I don't know why that has to end up as an personal insult my way. Not saying that happened to me in this thread or anything.

I think that a little heated exchange is good for the place...but not an never ending ongoing insult-fest.

What's silly is you not being able to recognize how amateurish and childish it is for a grown man to give another grown man the silent treatment. The fact that the team had one good season under him hardly makes him a good coach.

See: Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini.

So what makes Kubes a good coach to you then if you put this type of stigma on Sparano who has had one season where he did an excellent job and another where he went 8-8 which is Kubiak's motto. But to you Gary's this great up and comer, and Sparano is just this one year wonder. I won't sit here and act like Sparano is this great prodigy of a coach or anything, but he has had more success in two years than what Gary has had in 4.

I think with you it doesn't matter who we're talking about really. It's about the logo. If Sparano was the coach of the Texans you'd probably be calling him better than Billicheck and if Kubes was the coach of the Dolphins you'd be acting like he's an average coach in the NFL.

the so called soapers are talking about the team and giving opinion about the coach. The Kubiak crowd seems to talk more about insulting the posters. That's what I see as similar to the Carr situation. Some goes both ways of course...I expected the extension but I'm not a fan of Kubiak as a HC. I don't know why that has to end up as an personal insult my way. Not saying that happened to me in this thread or anything.

I think that a little heated exchange is good for the place...but not an never ending ongoing insult-fest.

This. Beat me to it. I haven't seen one soaper or anyone on the fence tell anyone else to eff off, shove soap anywhere or to eat crow about nothing. Yet I've seen it from one side. I've seen alot of good discussion regarding Kubes and McNair and the extension. I don't think it is bad to ask questions and not accept all that is. I also see alot of the same Carr/Sage crowd doing the same thing. But as I have said it is something where everyone has a similar goal and you just wait until the 10 season.

Vinny, we don't have to defend ourselves. We were right before and we are going to be right again. It's funny how the same objective fans who panned Carr's ability are the same who are panning Kubiak's ability. maybe we know more than everyone else..or maybe we are just honest with ourselves...probably both.

Kubiak is what he is...

...and definitely not worth extending unless its under the unspoken edict of 'playoffs in 2010 or you are fired'

McNair's mularkey about comparing him to other head coaches is just laughable. if he did that, Gary would be an OC somewhere today and wouldn't still be our head coach. Who was he comparing him to? Tom Cable, Morningwheg(sic), and Kiffin? McNair's act is getting really really really really tired.

*makes walk of shame out to mailbox to look for his season ticket invoice*

SCREW YOU, BOB!!! YOUR PSL HAS DEFEATED ME AGAIN!!! KHAN!!!!

khan-787365.jpg

Oh no the Pink soapers are gathered in the shower again, be careful what yall do in there we have kids watching you.

For you guys to bag on Bob McNair it shows it is your fault not the Mayors fault we lost the Oilers, My god the man spent a billions dollars to give us a football team and you with you pitiful whine want to bag on the Owner like he doesn't want to Win. I think you pink soapers need to move to Tennessee and then stay in your outhouses cause you will not be welcome back in Houston. I think I will call an tell the Texans to look at some of the stupid stuff that is written here. I am so Glad you guys are just dumbass couch potatoes rather than anything to do with the Texans. Enjoy the next 3 years and i am sure you will beat me to the wagon if we move into playoffs. Touting all along that you were onboard from the start, I got news for you you bailed on the owner and coach.

Too many people are reading this as some sort of ringing endorsement of Kubes', when it's anything but.

This is for FA acquisition / Asst. coach hirings, nothing more / nothing less. If anybody thinks that Kubes can go 6-10 next year and keep his job, they are smoking the good stuff.

I'd like nothing more than for Kubes to take us to the promised land, but it still remains to be seen if he's the one to get us there.

Too many people are reading this as some sort of ringing endorsement of Kubes', when it's anything but.

This is for FA acquisition / Asst. coach hirings, nothing more / nothing less. If anybody thinks that Kubes can go 6-10 next year and keep his job, they are smoking the good stuff.

I'd like nothing more than for Kubes to take us to the promised land, but it still remains to be seen if he's the one to get us there.

Best post yet.

hope you feel better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back