Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Thanks for the updates and education, CnD!

I shall continue thinking good thoughts and prayers for Joe Texan.

I just spoke with Joe. After last night's episode, (as Doc Jean reported - it was a minor set-back) and is feeling better. He goes for a stress test tomorrow. If all goes well, he could go home soon... What that means by "soon", I have no idea. I will defer to Doc Jean...

I just spoke with Joe. After last night's episode, (as Doc Jean reported - it was a minor set-back) and is feeling better. He goes for a stress test tomorrow. If all goes well, he could go home soon... What that means by "soon", I have no idea. I will defer to Doc Jean...

Joe underwent blood tests and a chest CT scan all of which showed no significant unexpected changes. Because Joe has never had a stress test, and has had a long history of mostly unattended high blood pressure, it was felt to be prudent to check if there are any significant cardiac compromises that have occured over time. Many such changes cannot be appreciated unless the heart is put through controlled challenge while simultaneously being monitored. If this test turns out satisfactorily and Joe's blood pressure avoids any unusual spikes, late tomorrow may be THE day.

Joe underwent blood tests and a chest CT scan all of which showed no significant unexpected changes. Because Joe has never had a stress test, and has had a long history of mostly unattended high blood pressure, it was felt to be prudent to check if there are any significant cardiac compromises that have occured over time. Many such changes cannot be appreciated unless the heart is put through controlled challenge while simultaneously being monitored. If this test turns out satisfactory, and Joe's blood pressure avoids any unusual spikes, late tomorrow may be THE day.

Ya know Doc, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Sometimes it would help if you call me and explain in layman's terms... :)

I wonder how much the Texans have contributed to Joe's high blood pressure?

Ya know Doc, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Sometimes it would help if you call me and explain in layman's terms... :)

I do realize that speaking in tounges is a prerequisite of being a doctor but that was pretty layman for me but let me dumb it down a notch...

Don't ignore your blood pressure readings. Too high=bad. Drugs or vegetables are better than nothing.

Doc Jean rocks!!!! He is both schooling me and scolding me at that same time! He rocks!!!!!

He does. He's had a pretty profound impact on my recovery himself. His bedside manner should be used as examples in required teaching for the medical profession. I'm just slightly injured but what cloaknndagger did... His time. His patience. His kindness. Just makes me want to cry. The hills on my road to recovery just got flatter because of him. He pushed mountains aside in my path just by merely talking to me and my doctor. Knowledge is power. Thank you, cloak.

I fricking love this board and its people. Be good and do good...

JUST TRY IT. GO AHEAD, BOTH OF YOU.........MAKE MY DAY!!!!!!!!

scary-surgeon.jpg

You should be neg repped repeatedly.

Me and the wife are arguing about the night light. I want it on tonight.

*angrily mumbles under breath*

Joe underwent blood tests and a chest CT scan all of which showed no significant unexpected changes. Because Joe has never had a stress test, and has had a long history of mostly unattended high blood pressure, it was felt to be prudent to check if there are any significant cardiac compromises that have occured over time. Many such changes cannot be appreciated unless the heart is put through controlled challenge while simultaneously being monitored. If this test turns out satisfactorily and Joe's blood pressure avoids any unusual spikes, late tomorrow may be THE day.

Just curious. You mentioned that he has had a long history of unattended hight BP? How is that known? Was Joe diagnosed with it years ago and just never took his meds? Or was it never detected and it is just assumed that his BP has been high for a good period of time because of what happened to him?

Also as a side question at what point do you recommend someone being on meds for BP? I am asking for myself because I tend to be borderline. I don't see my numbers over 140/90 too often however if I slack off on working out or eating the best I can (drinking my water, eating lots of raw veggies) my numbers do get close. I can often be around the mid 130s over mid 80s. I had one doctor recommend that I get on meds and another said not yet.

I often think some docs really are pill pushers and prescibe things when they are not necessary. However I know BP is nothing to fool around with as is evident in Joe's case.

I just found this thread and wish Joe Texan the best in a speedy recovery. I have had my issues with him and his attitude; nevertheless, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

My father is a cardiologist and practices at St. Luke's. I have been in that hospital countless times, most recently for my father who was a patient there for a few days. He is in excellent hands at St. Luke's as they have some of the best doctors and nurses that you can find.

Just curious. You mentioned that he has had a long history of unattended hight BP? How is that known? Was Joe diagnosed with it years ago and just never took his meds? Or was it never detected and it is just assumed that his BP has been high for a good period of time because of what happened to him?

Also as a side question at what point do you recommend someone being on meds for BP? I am asking for myself because I tend to be borderline. I don't see my numbers over 140/90 too often however if I slack off on working out or eating the best I can (drinking my water, eating lots of raw veggies) my numbers do get close. I can often be around the mid 130s over mid 80s. I had one doctor recommend that I get on meds and another said not yet.

I often think some docs really are pill pushers and prescibe things when they are not necessary. However I know BP is nothing to fool around with as is evident in Joe's case.

Several years ago, I was concerned about Joe because of some observations I made. His blood pressure was very high and he was placed meds to control it. He was very good about taking his blood pressures regularly. Unfortunately, one day, he went for a follow up to his physician......and found that he had closed up shop and disappeared. Joe, at that point, because of “many things going on in my life,” unbeknownst to me, did not pursue continued treatment.

To your other question, I will try to answer it as simply as I can. It is important, though, for you to understand, that each patient’s situation is unique, and not all patients fit into a nicely package algorithm. Any type of information that I ever relate on this MB is not meant as “G-d’s word.” It is meant to be a generalized “hang your hat” information guide, with definitive diagnosis and treatment only to be determined by one’s personal physician.

For years, the 120/80 “normal” figure was the target range. But, about 5 or 6 years ago the acceptable standards were redefined. Anything between 120/80 and 139/89 is now considered "prehypertensive. Any reading between 139/89 and 159/99 is considered to be "stage 1 hypertension." And anything topping 160/100 is "stage 2 hypertension."

Patients with stage 1 blood pressures of between 140-159/90-99 mm Hg who have no other risk factors should try lifestyle modifications for a year before drug therapy is used. But if these patients have one additional risk factor such as diabetes or clinical heart disease, their lifestyle modification should be tried for only 6 months before initiation therapy.

For patients with blood pressure above 150/100 mm Hg, drug therapy is recommended, no matter what the patients' risk factors.

Today, physicians have trended to treat even the upper level (= or >130/90) “prehypertensive” group in younger patient groups much like they do the “stage 1" group in order to minimize the end point effects of creeping chronic elevated blood pressure.

Unfortunately, most patients with diagnosed hypertension do not make lifestyle changes or take enough medication to achieve control. The lifestyle modifications involve diet, weight reduction, moderation in alcohol and sodium intake (most recently, with attention to adequate calcium and potassium intake), and regular exercise for people with high blood pressure. The aforementioned are encouraged for those who are working to reduce pressure without medications as well as those taking medications.

I’ve always personally tended to view all “medications” as having potentially “poisonous” effects one way or another. In placing a patient on any medication, the physician should consider the good it can create, balanced with the potential bad it creates. In any condition, it is always smart for a patient to take seriously addressing lifestyle changes that can eliminate the need for medication or lessen the dosage of the “poison” they must take in to help control their condition.

BTW, as many people are truly totally unaware of what there blood pressures actually normally runs, it is always a good idea for one to take their own blood pressures occasionally with a home cuff or at your local pharmacy if you trust their accuracy. As they always say, "Knowledge is power."

Thanks for the info CND. You affirmed what I thought. I was pre-hypertensive and was put on a low dose of bp meds and was told to take it for a month and come back to be checked again. I was also a little high with cholesterol. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the advice or stay on the meds, I don't really like taking any meds unless I absolutely have to. There is no history of heart disease in my family, whatsoever.......just tons of cancer unfortunately.

I began having other things going on health wise a little later, probably 8 months or so. I finally decided it was time to get healthy and kind of woke up from the old way of thinking. I attributed much of my issues of being overweight, way more than I should be. So I have made those lifestyle changes you are talking about. I got strict on myself after the new year and have sinced dropped 20lbs. My longer term goal is to be much lighter by Thanksgiving. Of course, I am now married to the idea I will always excercise regularly and eat right. I am looking forward to taking my bp and see where it's at now.

What does alcohol do to your bp or why does it raise it I guess is what I mean? I have noticed with me, if I overdo my drink it really elevates my bp the next day. I don't like that feeling so I try not to let that happen. Truth be told, I like beer way too much and used to drink heavily often in my younger/single days. I have dialed it way down and realize how important "moderation" is for not only that but to help with the weight loss. I feel like I have good, healthy balance now.

Another thing that annoys me about going to the doctor is, it is so damn hard to get any of my doctor's time, it feels like I am going by on a conveyor belt. I just want a physician that will hear what I am saying and listen to my concerns. I am not a hypochondriac but I do have concerns. If I go in because I am sick, I just pay a co-pay to get weighed, tell the nurse my symptoms and get a 5 minute or less "quick inspection" by the doc and always get the same answer. But you're right, knowledge is power, I have learned enough to know how to monitor my health, understand risk factors, and to a point self-diagnose what I think it could be so I can at least relate to my doc what I think is going on.

BTW, as many people are truly totally unaware of what there blood pressures actually normally runs, it is always a good idea for one to take their own blood pressures occasionally with a home cuff or at your local pharmacy if you trust their accuracy. As they always say, "Knowledge is power."

Every Saturday at my grocery store. ;) I know those machines aren't 100% accurate, but good enough to somewhat gauge your BP.

Thanks for the info CND. You affirmed what I thought. I was pre-hypertensive and was put on a low dose of bp meds and was told to take it for a month and come back to be checked again. I was also a little high with cholesterol. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the advice or stay on the meds, I don't really like taking any meds unless I absolutely have to. There is no history of heart disease in my family, whatsoever.......just tons of cancer unfortunately.

I began having other things going on health wise a little later, probably 8 months or so. I finally decided it was time to get healthy and kind of woke up from the old way of thinking. I attributed much of my issues of being overweight, way more than I should be. So I have made those lifestyle changes you are talking about. I got strict on myself after the new year and have sinced dropped 20lbs. My longer term goal is to be much lighter by Thanksgiving. Of course, I am now married to the idea I will always excercise regularly and eat right. I am looking forward to taking my bp and see where it's at now.

What does alcohol do to your bp or why does it raise it I guess is what I mean? I have noticed with me, if I overdo my drink it really elevates my bp the next day. I don't like that feeling so I try not to let that happen. Truth be told, I like beer way too much and used to drink heavily often in my younger/single days. I have dialed it way down and realize how important "moderation" is for not only that but to help with the weight loss. I feel like I have good, healthy balance now.

Another thing that annoys me about going to the doctor is, it is so damn hard to get any of my doctor's time, it feels like I am going by on a conveyor belt. I just want a physician that will hear what I am saying and listen to my concerns. I am not a hypochondriac but I do have concerns. If I go in because I am sick, I just pay a co-pay to get weighed, tell the nurse my symptoms and get a 5 minute or less "quick inspection" by the doc and always get the same answer. But you're right, knowledge is power, I have learned enough to know how to monitor my health, understand risk factors, and to a point self-diagnose what I think it could be so I can at least relate to my doc what I think is going on.

Alcohol starves your body of oxygen, IIRC. It also dehydrates you. It causes things to happen with your blood vessels, too.

On Mythbusters, they sat in a walk-in freezer until they were extremely chilled. Then they drank Brandy, like what you did back in the old days when a St. Bernard would bring you that little alcohol in a wooden cask tied around his dog collar.

They had an instant sensation of warmth. The scientific explanation, if I am repeating this properly, is that it opened up the small blood vessels (the capillaries sp?) which is why your face becomes flushed with redness...but it re-directs some blood flow from your vital organs, and thusly onto your smaller blood vessels. In short: drinking alcohol when almost frostbitten is a way to give more blood flow to the fingers and skin, but it might cause damage to the vital organs.

I hope I am not completely wrong. It's what they said on Mythbusters, so it has to be accurate. Right? LOL.

Alcohol starves your body of oxygen, IIRC. It also dehydrates you. It causes things to happen with your blood vessels, too.

On Mythbusters, they sat in a walk-in freezer until they were extremely chilled. Then they drank Brandy, like what you did back in the old days when a St. Bernard would bring you that little alcohol in a wooden cask tied around his dog collar.

They had an instant sensation of warmth. The scientific explanation, if I am repeating this properly, is that it opened up the small blood vessels (the capillaries sp?) which is why your face becomes flushed with redness...but it re-directs some blood flow from your vital organs, and thusly onto your smaller blood vessels. In short: drinking alcohol when almost frostbitten is a way to give more blood flow to the fingers and skin, but it might cause damage to the vital organs.

I hope I am not completely wrong. It's what they said on Mythbusters, so it has to be accurate. Right? LOL.

:toast2: Here's to you hopefully being completely wrong. ;)

Hookem and Hardcore (and anyone else interested in the relationship between blood pressure and alcohol intake), this LINK will summarize a significant portion of the relevant medical literature in fairly simple terms. It should answer many of your questions.

Did you ever wonder, why insulated hunting vests were sleeveless?? Well, when it is freezing cold, the body tries to conserve heat by restricting the blood flow to the areas most externalized, i.e., the extremities (arms and legs). This is a protective reflex that the body accomplishes by constricting the extremity blood vessels, and thus detours the blood to circulate where it's warmest, internally, to preserve the body's heat. The preserved heat then confines itself to recirculating within the warmest core of the body. It basically shuts off the tendency to loose heat by stopping the convection-like transfer of the cold environment to the blood.

A person that drinks alcohol "to stay warm" in such a freezing cold scenario, indeed, feels the flush of warmth, as you explained by the dilation of ALL of the blood vessels in the body, including the extremity vessels that would normally reflexly constrict to preserve body warmth. It essentially over-rides the protective heat-loss preservative mechanism...........and, the happless person actually unwittingly contributes to his own hastened demise.

Hope that makes sense.:)

Did you ever wonder, why insulated hunting vests were sleeveless?? Well, when it is freezing cold, the body tries to conserve heat by restricting the blood flow to the areas most externalized, i.e., the extremities (arms and legs). This is a protective reflex that the body accomplishes by constricting the extremity blood vessels, and thus detours the blood to circulate where it's warmest, internally, to preserve the body's heat. The preserved heat then confines itself to recirculating within the warmest core of the body. It basically shuts off the tendency to loose heat by stopping the convection-like transfer of the cold environment to the blood.

A person that drinks alcohol "to stay warm" in such a freezing cold scenario, indeed, feels the flush of warmth, as you explained by the dilation of ALL of the blood vessels in the body, including the extremity vessels that would normally reflexly constrict to preserve body warmth. It essentially over-rides the protective heat-loss preservative mechanism...........and, the happless person actually unwittingly contributes to his own hastened demise.

Hope that makes sense.:)

So... a St. Benard coming to my rescue isn't necessarily a good thing?

Hookem and Hardcore (and anyone else interested in the relationship between blood pressure and alcohol intake), this LINK will summarize a significant portion of the relevant medical literature in fairly simple terms. It should answer many of your questions.

From the link:

Chronic (regular) alcohol consumption can lead to high blood pressure/hypertension. In fact, it is the third largest cause of high blood pressure, even more than smoking!
{“What are some of the impacts of alcohol on society?” www.fact-index.com, 2004}

Hypertension increases the risk and severity of impotence.
{Journal of Urology, Oct. 2000, in Washington Post Health, Oct. 10, 2000}

:yikes:

But back to being serious, that is a lot of good info CND and some I didn't want to hear like moderate consumption can still jack you up, thanks for the link.

The saga continues. This morning, due to Joe's scheduled 1st phase stress test, his morning blood pressure med was delayed, resulting in an acute pressure spike to ~180/100. Understandably, that didn't help his headache any. Subsequently, during the day, he had a couple of readings around 145-150. Just a while ago, he returned from the 2nd phase stress test. Results will not be formally be interpretted until tomorrow. There is also a possible groin local bleed that occured during his spikes. This is at the previous site of insertion of the line used to perform the angiogram. This may require, prior to discharge, a minor procedure to repair the "leak." Obviously, more time is needed to fully control Joe's blood pressure. Meanwhile, after his long day, he is now sleeping.

Thanks for the update! Will continue the prayers for Joe and his family. Is this somewhat unusual? An effect of having high blood pressure for to long? I have not heard of this happening before, even though I know quite of people that have had angiograms and stent implants.

Thanks for the update! Will continue the prayers for Joe and his family. Is this somewhat unusual? An effect of having high blood pressure for to long? I have not heard of this happening before, even though I know quite of people that have had angiograms and stent implants.

I think, going by the link CND provided above, that hypertension in general can be BIG contributing factor to strokes and cardiovasculuar disease. The more prolonged, the higher the risk I believe......at least from what I have read and recall.

Thanks for the updates! Keep progressing Joe!

When angiograms or other arteriograms are performed or stents are placed, it requires an entry puncture of a large artery. It takes a certain amount of time to securely self-seal. If during that time, there is a spike in blood pressure, it can break the weak seal, and blood will escape creating a blood pocket around the artery. Sometimes the pocket needsto be drained, and sometimes, the puncture wound requires formal suture repair to try to avoid a rebleed. Unfortunately, this problem is not that unusual if the blood pressure significantly spikes close to the time of the procedure.

When angiograms or other arteriograms are performed or stents are placed, it requires an entry puncture of a large artery. It takes a certain amount of time to securely self-seal. If during that time, there is a spike in blood pressure, it can break the weak seal, and blood will escape creating a blood pocket around the artery. Sometimes the pocket needsto be drained, and sometimes, the puncture wound requires formal suture repair to try to avoid a rebleed. Unfortunately, this problem is not that unusual if the blood pressure significantly spikes close to the time of the procedure.

Ok, I can understand this. Does this happen frequently? It sems awfully scary to me.

I'll be happy to take all you guys BP, but, not after a night out with Bill and Hobie!!:)

:foottap: That's when I'm at best.... 172/111. That's awesome! :gun:

Actually Gma, I check myself every Saturday at my grocery store. I've gotten the BP down to (on average) 117/77... The lost 40+/- lbs. have helped. :)

I lived this a few years ago with my mother. Not many people here knew, cause I kept it relatively quiet.

I lived this a few years ago with my mother. Not many people here knew, cause I kept it relatively quiet.

I feel for ya! How did you cope?

I always tend to freak out and assume it is worse than it really is.

And if it wasn't for A-1. could the relationship continue in a cordial manner?

****, I think I'm drunk!

I'm sorta there after the crawfish boil, but yeah, it would've been relatively cool between us if not for the A-1.

It is good to report JOE IS GOING HOME TODAY!

His stress test results came out satisfactorily. His blood pressure has remained stable. The groin bleed has not extended and will most probably resolve on its own. Yesterday's excruciating pain in the head has returned to being more of a pain in the butt.

As Joe has found out, a hospital may be a nice place to "visit" (when you need it), but you certainly don't want to permanently pitch tent there...............or visit too often. [A message for all of us to take care of ourselves, and to never take our health for granted.]

His stress test results came out satisfactorily. His blood pressure has remained stable. The groin bleed has not extended and will most probably resolve on its own. Yesterday's excruciating pain in the head has returned to being more of a pain in the butt.

As Joe has found out, a hospital may be a nice place to "visit" (when you need it), but you certainly don't want to permanently pitch tent there...............or visit too often. [A message for all of us to take care of ourselves, and to never take our health for granted.]

Yep ... Joe's really paid a price to make us realize we aren't bullet proof ( not that we ever were ) anymore . So if something good comes out of Joe's ordeal , it's that we need to heed the warnings so that way we can all grow old .

Take care Joe .

That is great news! Thanks for all your updates and info.

Back