Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Sandy,

Good nurses like you and also specifically ICU nurses are underappreciated for the amount they do, for so many, in such a short period of time. Patients, their family and friends need to step back sometimes and understand that they or their loved ones have not been checked into a hotel primarily for comfort, they've been admitted to a hospital primarily for care. Most all good nurses do indeed try to deliver the latter with as much attention to the former as possible. Thank G-d for nurses........specifically ones like you.

I spent a great deal of time on the 8th floor of the Methodist hospital in the 90's and I couldn't do what they do . They had a nurse named Audrey who was great . I asked her a question that the Doctor didn't want to answer and my Dad didn't want to hear , in a way that was innocent enough but she got what I was asking and because of her answer I started calling my Mom's family out of state .

The profession of nursing is like most others, some good, some need to be kicked into another job. My brother was in a Pasadena hospital with doctor orders for morphine "as needed". A nurse refused because he might become addicted. Mike replied, hope I am here long enough to get addicted. Two hours later another nurse whom I had worked with at another hospital came on duty and gave it to him.

Sandy,

Good nurses like you and also specifically ICU nurses are underappreciated for the amount they do, for so many, in such a short period of time. Patients, their family and friends need to step back sometimes and understand that they or their loved ones have not been checked into a hotel primarily for comfort, they've been admitted to a hospital primarily for care. Most all good nurses do indeed try to deliver the latter with as much attention to the former as possible. Thank G-d for nurses........specifically ones like you.

I've spent a lot of time in hospital ICUs with various loved ones the past few years. The reality is that most nurses are wonderful. Unfortunately, many hospital doctor's are absolutely terds! They treat the nurses disrespectfully and they underutilize them as a resource out of some sort of superiority complex. Many of those doctors also can't be bothered with being paged or actually taking time for a thorough diagnosis. So, when a nurse refuses to give medication to a patient it is usually because they spend the entire day trying to plead with a doctor to spend two minutes to write a script. My grandmother was in ICU two weeks ago for an obvious stroke but it took those doctors 4 days to diagnosis it. The nursed paged the doctor one day at 3pm about a serious situation (multiple times) and we waited for 6 hours for a doctor to show up. When he did, he was irritated and dismissive.

And, let's not even talk about what it's like in ICU on the weekends!

Unfortunately for nurses, they are the patients and family members only representative for the hospital care. The only way to get anything done, sometimes, is to hound and pressure the nurses. Then, just maybe, they will risk dealing with those f+++in' doctors in order to get the family off their backs.

: I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!

Nope, I think that educators have you beat on being the most unappreciated...lol...but it is all good. We all chose our professions because of our love for it and not to be recognized daily.

Just sent Joe Texan and e-gretting wishing him a speedy recovery even though I dont know him or met him but were all family in this board and im here to support my fellow Texans fans.

Unfortunately, the type of headache Joe is experiencing is not the typical headache you can take something for and it's gone. His headache will be unrelenting until the blood clot irritating and putting pressure on his brain resorbs. Minimally, this will occur gradually over weeks. It is the type of headache that even with the strongest of pain medications will at best "take the edge off." Also, the apparent "requests" for such medications needs to be balanced with overdose and toxicity concerns associated with these not so benign medications. Although ICU nurses are charged with very demanding responsibilities, I, too, have had to counsel some concerning the timely delivery of "comfort" orders.

As an aside, I, myself, have been accused by some patients of withholding pain medications at times. However, as a physician, it is also important to remember that you can "kill a patient with kindness." Accordingly, I feel that there is no better example in medicine than the indiscriminate delivery or distribution of pain medication without regard to its "evils."

I wish you were my Mom's Dr., Cloak!

JMO, as a person who has experienced similar to what Joe is going through not that long ago...he really needs the love and support of those around him, I bet he is scared to death. BUT, when I was going through mine...I did not want anyone to see me in my situation, I was not 'me' for sometime. Everyone has their own way of dealing with stuff, just putting this scenario out there as I am not sure he is thinking the same way. This is some heavy duty chit to deal with. Just some food for thought...

Take care Joe, I can sympathize with you...

Joe went down for the arteriogram at 11:30 and came back around 2:30. He's doing well and sleeping now. It appears that there are no signs of further bleed and actually quicker than usual signs of resorption of the blood clot. But, the final report by the neuroradiologist has not been released. Further good news, is blood pressure has remained very stable on his medication regimen.

It appears that everyone's prayers have been heard. Pending the final report, I feel we will be able to transfer Joe out of the ICU later this evening or early morning. And, because of his stabilized blood pressure, excluding any unforeseen problems cropping up, within the next day or two, he may be laying in his own bed at home with dancing girls surrounding him, fanning him while they drop grapes in his mouth one by one. We're looking for volunteers.

Joe went down for the arteriogram at 11:30 and came back around 2:30. He's doing well and sleeping now. It appears that there are no signs of further bleed and actually quicker than usual signs of resorption of the blood clot. But, the final report by the neuroradiologist has not been released. Further good news, is blood pressure has remained very stable on his medication regimen.

It appears that everyone's prayers have been heard. Pending the final report, I feel we will be able to transfer Joe out of the ICU later this evening or early morning. And, because of his stabilized blood pressure, excluding any unforeseen problems cropping up, within the next day or two, he may be laying in his own bed at home with dancing girls surrounding him, fanning him while they drop grapes in his mouth one by one. We're looking for volunteers.

I think Bill can help if someone volunteers to install a bunch of poles . Of course that won't help his blood pressure .

Left my message a few minutes ago:

"Hey Joe, This is GP from the TexansTalk message board. I sure hope they let you use the pink soap I sent you. Remember what you always told us soapers "Don't drop the soap!" Anyways, I sure hope you get better. Everybody on the message board keeps checking in on the updates we get from Cloaknnndagger, trying to make sure we know you're doing OK. There hasn't been any big news with the Texans the past few days. So you ain't missing anything. The Astros are sucking extremely bad right now. Haven't won a game yet. Looks like Drayton McLane might sell them this summer, too. Probably will be a good thing for the jam that team is in. Got to go, and I hope you get rested up for the draft."

Oh that's really great news. Thanks for updating us, Cloak. Means a lot.

My wife sells Tekturna, Diovan, and the new Tekturna/Diovan combination called "Valturna." So I have gained a lot of knowledge about BP control just from hearing her talk about it. That's some good news that his BP is staying controlled. I suspect Joe is on some blood thinners, too, to help as the clot resolves itself.

Thanks again for the news.

Oh that's really great news. Thanks for updating us, Cloak. Means a lot.

My wife sells Tekturna, Diovan, and the new Tekturna/Diovan combination called "Valturna." So I have gained a lot of knowledge about BP control just from hearing her talk about it. That's some good news that his BP is staying controlled. I suspect Joe is on some blood thinners, too, to help as the clot resolves itself.
Thanks again for the news.

GP,

You're welcome. But blood clots in the legs are approached differently than those in the brain. Clots in the legs are not caused by bleeding. They are caused by stagnant blood flow through the veins and inflammation of the vein walls. Since he had an active bleed (wet) stroke, we have avoided any blood thinning agents, in that they would encourage further bleed. Resolution of his clot has had to be totally spontaneous. Usually, when there is a prolonged period of relative immobility in the ICU, we try to initiate blood clot prevention in the legs with the use of low dose blood thinners. But, for the above reason, this couldn't be done in Joe's case. Therefore, we have had to rely on encouraging him to move his feet and legs often, trying to get him up as much as possible, and placing continuous mechanical massagers on both of his legs. These measures were all done to promote good circulation to the legs, since sluggish flow there leads to the type of blood clots in the legs or pelvis which then can travel to the lungs and lead to a high incidence of death.

Thanks for the updates, CnD! We'll keep Joe Texan in our thoughts and prayers. Between the miracle of modern medicine and the powers of spiritual healing, he'll be up and cursing the ICOU in just a matter of time. The way it should be!

GP,

You're welcome. But blood clots in the legs are approached differently than those in the brain. Since he had an active bleed (wet) stroke, we have avoided any blood thinning agents, in that they would encourage further bleed. Resolution of his clot has had to be totally spontaneous. Usually, when there is a prolonged period of relative immobility in the ICU, we try to initiate blood clot prevention in the legs with the use of low dose blood thinners. But, for the above reason, this couldn't be done in Joe's case. Therefore, we had to rely on encouraging him to move his feet and legs often, trying to get him up as much as possible, and placing continuous mechanical massagers on both of his legs. These measures were all done to promote good circulation to the legs, since sluggish flow there leads to the type of blood clots in the legs or pelvis which then can travel to the lungs and lead to a high incidence of death.

Oh I see, so he didn't throw the clot from somewhere in the lower extremities. His clot originated in the brain? Yikes.

I just got off the phone with him. Sounds much better and relayed everything that you posted. He also mentioned that he had a catheter inserted in the artery in his leg (or something to that effect). Anywho, he was all excited because it's now been 7 hours and he can get it taken out. Says he should be in a regular room...

Wooohoooooo!! Lemme know when the girls get there, I'm partying with Joe!!!

I just got off the phone with him. Sounds much better and relayed everything that you posted. He also mentioned that he had a catheter inserted in the artery in his leg (or something to that effect). Anywho, he was all excited because it's now been 7 hours and he can get it taken out. Says he should be in a regular room...

Wooohoooooo!! Lemme know when the girls get there, I'm partying with Joe!!!

Thank for the update TB! Let him know we are all thinking about him. And let me know when the party starts!

Thank for the update TB! Let him know we are all thinking about him. And let me know when the party starts!

Make sure you read Doc Jean's post too. Much more detailed and eloguently stated than my posts.

Hell no we won't let you know. The more girls and less guys, the better! ;)

:smooch:up!! Is that what you're tryin to do! lol

I can assure you, and everyone else who seems to think that nurses are EVIL, that we understand you needs, and complaints, much better than any of you know. I belong to a THANKLESS profession, and that's really sad. I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!

Yes you do belong to a THANKLESS profession. My Aunt was a nurse (and beleive it or not a birthin' nurse too) for over 30 years. Unfortunately she left this world to be with God, but Lord knows that she was overworked, underpaid and under appreciated.

Understand where I was coming from. Sitting watching a friend, miserable, uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. She said he couldnt take any meds for another 45 minutes. I get that, what I don't get is why she wasn't back in 45 minutes, 50 mintutes or even an hour.

As TB reported, Joe's transfer orders have been written. He's third in line for being transfered. No bed is available yet. We hope to get it done this evening, but tomorrow morning at latest.

His headache has taken a turn for the better........still hurts a good bit, but much, much more bearable. He had a "last meal" in the ICU tonight. Included an entre of McDonald's fish sandwich special with an ice cream smoothie. He says it's like one last fling. When he gets home, he will be getting on and sticking to a good healthy diet (with an occasional reward every once in awhile:)). When he gets to the floor, we will be changing his blood pressure meds from IV to oral. He's getting rid of all of his lines and continous body monitoring hook ups. He will be discharged home once his oral blood pressure meds are titrated to maintain the same stability as the IV-delivered one. Hopefully, he will respond to this within 24-48 hours.

As TB reported, Joe's transfer orders have been written. He's third in line for being transfered. No bed is available yet. We hope to get it done this evening, but tomorrow morning at latest.

His headache has taken a turn for the better........still hurts a good bit, but much, much more bearable. He had a "last meal" in the ICU tonight. Included an entre of McDonald's fish sandwich special with an ice cream smoothie. He says it's like one last fling. When he gets home, he will be getting on and sticking to a good healthy diet (with an occasional reward every once in awhile:)). When he gets to the floor, we will be changing his blood pressure meds from IV to oral. He's getting rid of all of his lines and continous body monitoring hook ups. He will be discharged home once his oral blood pressure meds are titrated to maintain the same stability as the IV-delivered one. Hopefully, he will respond to this within 24-48 hours.

We will have to be more creative with food during tailgates now. You guys can feed me all of the fatting foods...I will take it for the team.

That's good news, because I posted Saturday he didn't even touch his lunch, which I was concerned about. He barely lifted the lid and looked at it. BTW, it looked pretty damn good..... for chicken. :cool:

Is she the one that taught you about good birthin' hips?

And great news about Joe!

:spit: but no.. I came up with that dandy all on my own..... unfortunately. :gun:

Thanks to everyone for the updates. I'm relieved to hear that Joe appears to be doing much better. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers though as he works his way back to 100%. :fans:

Thank you so very much for the updates. I feel a little mor at ease now. I have never met Joe, but he has been a hero for so many that I feel that I know him. There used to be a lot of hero's like Joe. Lately...not so much.

All our prayers Joe! Just keep keepin on!

Thank you so very much for the updates. I feel a little mor at ease now. I have never met Joe, but
he has been a hero for so many that I feel that I know him. There used to be a lot of hero's like Joe. Lately...not so much.

All our prayers Joe! Just keep keepin on!

:spit: More like our Court Jester.

I keed, Joe, I keed.... ;)

Was out of town when the thread got started - just finished reading through all the updates and very happy to see that Joe is doing better and appears to be well on the road to a full recovery! The place really wouldn't be the same.

Joe's going to have to be extremely careful considering his buddy Obama still has another two years in office...

We're still waiting for a room to open up on the floor to transfer Joe out of the ICU. No time has been wasted waiting though. He is now solely on oral blood pressure medicine and holding well.............~115/70 (true throw down numbers). If he does any better, we'll be treating him for shock. Hospital protocol does allow discharge directly from the ICU. However, looks like, at this point, transfer to the floors will only be a formality to the road leading to discharge.

Fantastic news! Thanks for keeping us informed. I am sure Joe understands that he will need to make some lifestyle changes, and that will be hard but I am sure he will get plenty of help.

Joe will be hanging pinata's before long...

While I was speaking to Joe, his floor room opened up in 22 Tower bed 6..............after all the preliminary excitement, pointed out that's a female room. [Not a joke!] Joe didn't have a problem with that (does that surprise anyone?) But unfortunately, we have to start all over and find another MALE room now for transfer............hospital protocol, you know.:)

He may remain in the hospital an extra day or so for a relatively minor issue unrelated to the stroke. Sort of "while in the neighborhood," should take care of it type of thing.

:smooch:up!! Is that what you're tryin to do! lol

I can assure you, and everyone else who seems to think that nurses are EVIL, that we understand you needs, and complaints, much better than any of you know. I belong to a THANKLESS profession, and that's really sad. I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!

I'd be the last person in the world to suggest that nurses are evil. The professionals who work in the ICU area in particular have a terribly difficult job. It's the nature of hospitals caring for so many people that makes bad things happen--not so much through malice but because there's a lot of stuff going on, and the docs/nurses may not know the patient's needs. It's helpful to have a sensible family member to help with the small things that the patient may not be able to do for themselves or even request from the hospital staff.

I am still messed up from the hospital experience I saw. I don't think I can ever be right about medical stuff again. Caring for a loved one in the ICU for 7 months will get you seeing things you can never unsee, because if you are in a hospital long enough, you will see really really bad, almost unfathomable stuff. I'm sure doctors and nurses see much worse. It was just hard for me because my sister was my oldest friend in the world, and it was bad to see her be in almost constant fear and pain.

I appreciate doctors and nurses more than most, but I dearly hope I don't need their services.

Sweet. He was supposed to call me sometime today to tell me where he got moved to, so I could visit. Anyway, I guess I'll visit tomorrow.

Bill, I am sure you will anyways, but please give Joe all our get well wishes and prayers. And tell him God Bless, and is it time to sneak him a shot?

Bill, I am sure you will anyways, but please give Joe all our get well wishes and prayers. And tell him God Bless, and is it time to sneak him a shot?

Probably so and I always do send well wishes and prayers from Texan's Nation.

As far as the shot, Dr. Jean would have my azzzzzz!!! :eek:

Dude, if anything happens, I'm taking down as many people as I can...... JB included. :fingergun:

Wha?! Who me? I will deny it to the end! Everyone knows how innocent I am! Truly!

damn, even my keyboard knew I was lying!

Joe finally made it to the floor..........Y2211-1.

Yay! Keep on getting better Joe. Our thoughts and prayers continue for a speedy and full recovery.

I don't personally know anyone on this board except throught the posts, but
everyone is, in a way part of an extended family. When something happends, the uncertainty in not knowing is what causes the most grief.

Thanks CloakNNNdagger for keeping us updated on a regular basis. Your constant updates have helped a lot of us. Props to you if I could. Thanks!!

Probably so and I always do send well wishes and prayers from Texan's Nation.

As far as the shot, Dr. Jean would have my azzzzzz!!! :eek:

Better yours than mine! :lol:

Wha?! Who me? I will deny it to the end! Everyone knows how innocent I am! Truly!

JUST TRY IT. GO AHEAD, BOTH OF YOU.........MAKE MY DAY!!!!!!!!

scary-surgeon.jpg

Joe had a little setback last night. He put out an anxious call to me at 1:45 a.m. He was again experiencing another episode of extreme headache accompanied this time with some chest pains. His blood pressure shot up to 180/100. I spoke to the nurse and we checked his oxygen levels which were satisfactory, and cardiac monitoring that showed no unusual event, and gave him an IV blood pressure med along with an oral strong pain medicantion. By 5 a.m. Joe was again well blood pressure-controlled and was sleeping. It appears that he will ultimately need a combination of longer acting blood pressure medications or a regimen of a.m. and p.m. split dosing to maintain 24hour stability. This sometimes bumpy period of transition from ICU continous IV blood pressure meds to oral med regulation is not terribly unusual. It varies from patient-to-patient and situation-to-situation. And that is why we have to leave an open-ended period of time for a time of discharge.

Earlier last night, Joe told me that he was being "BOMBARDED" with wonderful e-Greetings, and that it has really served to keep him busy and keep his spirits high.

Joe had a little setback last night. He put out an anxious call to me at 1:45 a.m. He was again experiencing another episode of extreme headache accompanied this time with some chest pains. His blood pressure shot up to 180/100. I spoke to the nurse and we checked his oxygen levels which were satisfactory, and cardiac monitoring that showed no unusual event, and gave him an IV blood pressure med along with an oral strong pain medicantion. By 5 a.m. Joe was again well blood pressure-controlled and was sleeping. It appears that he will ultimately need a combination of longer acting blood pressure medications or a regimen of a.m. and p.m. split dosing to maintain 24hour stability. This sometimes bumpy period of transition from ICU continous IV blood pressure meds to oral med regulation is not terribly unusual. It varies from patient-to-patient and situation-to-situation. And that is why we have to leave an open-ended period of time for a time of discharge.

Earlier last night, Joe told me that he was being "BOMBARDED" with wonderful e-Greetings, and that it has really served to keep him busy and keep his spirits high.
Thanks again CND for updates! Something that I have not seen mentioned is how grateful each of us should be for our health. Yes, each of us have some minor issues & some maybe major but I am thankful for how well I have it healthwise and in this economy, I am thankful or my job.

Still praying for you Joe! You're in good hands with Doc Jean keeping an eye on you, and with so many friends sending up prayers to the Almighty! Hang in there!!

Yes, I echo the thanks for the updates, Its very comforting to know he is in good hands and that he will get through this. I live in Austin and I am grateful for you info Claok, I met you once along time ago and hope to see you again so I can thanks you in person.
Joe, keep on trucking my man!

You know I am pretty new to this board, so i dont know all of you on a personal level, but my thoughts and prayers are with Joe and his family. I have never met him, but believe i sure have seen him on TV (I mean you can't miss the guy!).
Hoping for the best, I am glad that he is out of ICU. From reading the thread, it appears that he had a heart attack? Is that true?

You know I am pretty new to this board, so i dont know all of you on a personal level, but my thoughts and prayers are with Joe and his family. I have never met him, but believe i sure have seen him on TV (I mean you can't miss the guy!).
Hoping for the best, I am glad that he is out of ICU. From reading the thread, it appears that he had a heart attack? Is that true?

His original presentation was stroke with high blood pressure. With this most recent episode, for reasons of thoroughness, we're having Cardiology check him out to rule out either "heart attack" or blod clot traveling from the legs to the lungs. At this point in time, I would venture the opinion that he has incurrred neither, and that finer control of his blood pressure meds should prevent a recurrent episode. But we will wait until all data is in later today.

He just woke up and his blood pressure remains at desireable levels. I spoke to him and he reports that his headache is back to the expected dull ache level and he is feeling MUCH better.

JUST TRY IT. GO AHEAD, BOTH OF YOU.........MAKE MY DAY!!!!!!!!

scary-surgeon.jpg

:eek: That's scary..

However, we already had this conversation ;).. Tough love... Tough love!

Dang!! I'm just catching up and saw this. That sucks, but it probably explains why he never called me...

Back