Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Prayers for Joe Texan to get well

Thanks for the continued updates. Fortunately, it's the off-season, so if one of our fanatics has to be on IR, this is the time.

We're playing the Cowboys in our house this season. I know this alone will focus Joe Texan to not only heal, but go above and beyond in his recovery.

Make sure all those doctors and nurses are Texans fans, ya' hear! :texflag:

Just came back from checking on Joe in the ICU. He has the expected severe headaches from the blood clot irritating and pressing on the brain. As long as there is no further bleed, these should taper off over the next month. Meanwhile, pretty heavy medication is needed to keep him half way comfortable, so he feels pretty sleepy most of the time. But that’s OK. Blood pressure is a little brittle, so meds to control it are being monitored closely. All in all, he is in good spirits. Under the circumstances, I’ve explained to him that he is a very lucky man.........with the type of stroke he sustained, approximately ½ don’t make it to the hospital alive. With all of your prayers, he will be in the ¼ of the group that not only makes it to the hospital alive, but also makes it out of the hospital without permanent lingering disability.

He wanted me to again relate to the MB, that he is moved by all of the well-wishers, including some which have not always seen eye to eye with him.

Gotta let you know, he’s making great progress.......no pooping the bed.........he’s traveling on his own to the PortaPot just fine..............Oops, Joe, I hope I didn’t give out too much information. :bomb:

Thanks for the update Doc Jean!! I'm going to visit him some time tomorrow. I'll update as well, although it won't be as eloquent or detailed as the "no pooping" part... ;)

*EDIT*
How's his throat doing?? I know it's been extremely sore.

John McClain just mentioned Joe on 610. He said Joe is the only fan that can sit in the middle of the Black Hole in Oakland wearing the opposing teams gear and get away with it. Get well soon Joe, we need our #1 fan back. :texflag:

Well, looks like GMA's gonna have to play tough with my "boys" this next year! Whack um with my ugly stick if I see um hittin the booze a little to hard!:pop: Since over half the Blue Crew needs to knock off a few pounds, I LEAD THE LIST, maybe we can get together and come up with some yummy grillin that won't kill our hearts and broaden our booty's!! I know of FOUR of our BC pals who have had wake-up calls this off season. We need to get serious about taking care of ourselves, and our fellow Texans!!

I LOVE ya all way to much to lose someone!!

Thanks for the update Doc Jean!! I'm going to visit him some time tomorrow. I'll update as well, although it won't be as eloquent or detailed as the "no pooping" part... ;)

*EDIT*
How's his throat doing?? I know it's been extremely sore.

Can you tailgate in the lobby ?

When you going Bill ?

Both of my son's were born at St. Lukes .

John McClain just mentioned Joe on 610. He said Joe is the only fan that can sit in the middle of the Black Hole in Oakland wearing the opposing teams gear and get away with it. Get well soon Joe, we need our #1 fan back. :texflag:

Woah...

McClain reported something accurate. Mad respect to John McClain for the kind words about Joe Texan. I'm really happy news has gotten out that shows Joe Texan is loved in Houston and Austin and across the nation. He has been right about one thing this whole time, people...

He IS the #1 Texans fan...

Woah...

McClain reported something accurate. Mad respect to John McClain for the kind words about Joe Texan. I'm really happy news has gotten out that shows Joe Texan is loved in Houston and Austin and across the nation. He has been right about one thing this whole time, people...

He IS the #1 Texans fan...

I also respect John McClain for mentioning Joe. That was kind.

Sorry Nitro, and no disrespect to JT,(he already knows how I feel about the #1 thing) BUT, NO ONE IS A #1 fan!!!!!!!!!!! It takes ALL Texan fans to make a fantastic fan base!! We have fantastic fans who are behind the scenes, not front and center, that do as much for us as all the rest of us put together. Anyone want to tell us who owns this message board??

Sorry Nitro, and no disrespect to JT,(he already knows how I feel about the #1 thing) BUT, NO ONE IS A #1 fan!!!!!!!!!!! It takes ALL Texan fans to make a fantastic fan base!! We have fantastic fans who are behind the scenes, not front and center, that do as much for us as all the rest of us put together. Anyone want to tell us who owns this message board??

Can there be a tie ?

Did you sit in the middle of the black hole and get out alive?

C'mon now, grandma... For now Joe's our number one fan. We are all rooting for him right now, are we not? How about we resume the bickering of who's the #1 fan after Joe gets out of the hospital? Maybe?

I went to visit Joe today. He's suffering from terrible headaches and at one point his blood pressure was at 174/(didn't see the bottom number). During the time I was there though it did drop to 136/??? He is super tired. In fact he was sleeping when I got there and nodded off while I was in the room. He didn't touch his lunch the entire time I was there.

Doctor Jean is gonna keep tabs on Joe, Joe's charts and speak with Joe's doctor, which is awesome!!! Thanks Doc!!!!

Sorry, I had to take a phone call.......

Anyway, he is extremely gratefull for all the prayers and support y'all have given and shown. He understands just how lucky he is - not only to make it through this relatively unscaved and how lucky he is having all the support of the greatest fans ever.

Bill and Jean,
How long do either one of you think Joe will be there? We'd like to send flowers or mail him a card or something but we know that you can't send them to ICU. PM me hospital information as well as Joe's room number and last name.

Cage, my 8 year old, is very upset about Joe. He understands that Joe is very sick. They clicked for one game with Joe's pinata antics. Cage adores Joe for that. He also belives that Joe Texan's last name is Texan as per the jersey Joe wears. He thinks that's the greatest thing he's ever seen... that alone makes him a super Texans fan. He was meant to be!

Lol. Rock on, Joe.

Bill and Jean,
How long do either one of you think Joe will be there? We'd like to send flowers or mail him a card or something but we know that you can't send them to ICU. PM me hospital information as well as Joe's room number and last name.

Cage, my 8 year old, is very upset about Joe. He understands that Joe is very sick. They clicked for one game with Joe's pinata antics. Cage adores Joe for that. He also belives that Joe Texan's last name is Texan as per the jersey Joe wears. He thinks that's the greatest thing he's ever seen... that alone makes him a super Texans fan. He was meant to be!
Lol. Rock on, Joe.

Not sure, but I'm hoping he can get his BP down enough to get out of ICU within the next 2 to 3 days. (((Actually Doc Jean should chime in here- and trust me, he has waaaaay better inside info than me....))) That's hopeful and not based on any medical knowledge (again Doc Jean has so much more to offer from a knowledge base). Once that happens, I imagine another day or so after that....

My guess, Monday - optimistically. Wednesday - realistically.

Let's remember, and thank G*d that Joe will more than likely come out of this A-okay!! :thumbup

That said, let's not quit our prayers.

PS.... Tell Cage, Joe is gonna make it....... just fine!

Joe will be undergoing a cerebral arteriogram on Monday. Depending if this test shows no further adverse findings.......and his blood pressure becomes well-controlled, we expect to be able to see him out of the ICU by Tuesday. His neurologic status remains stable, and I expect his arteriogram to be favorable.

I would love to go visit JT, but I am such a girl and would be crying the whole time. I suck at things like that. I could barely have a phone conversation. :-( So I will stick to prayers.

We love you dearly Joe and we want you back at 100% You are #1 in my book.

Also if any Blue Crew'er is going to visit this week, make sure to contact Holly.

I would love to go visit JT, but I am such a girl and would be crying the whole time. I suck at things like that. I could barely have a phone conversation. :-( So I will stick to prayers.

We love you dearly Joe and we want you back at 100% You are #1 in my book.

Also if any Blue Crew'er is going to visit this week, make sure to contact Holly.

I'm going as soon as Jean gives me the ok. Rest is vital at this point, and I pray Joe will recup fast so we can see him in his natural habitat, the Platinum lot! :doot: I know there is an e-mail site through St Lukes to send him a note. I got several last year when I was in St Lukes. I just don't know the link. Maybe one of you pc guru's can find it and post it. It is a wonderful way to let someone know you are thinking about them, and still give them the time to recup without a lot of visitation. It was something that made me smile everyday, just knowing my friends were thinking about me. The nice volunteers bring them by your room. Joe would LOVE it!!

I'm going as soon as Jean gives me the ok. Rest is vital at this point, and I pray Joe will recup fast so we can see him in his natural habitat, the Platinum lot! :doot: I know there is an e-mail site through St Lukes to send him a note. I got several last year when I was in St Lukes. I just don't know the link. Maybe one of you pc guru's can find it and post it. It is a wonderful way to let someone know you are thinking about them, and still give them the time to recup without a lot of visitation. It was something that made me smile everyday, just knowing my friends were thinking about me. The nice volunteers bring them by your room. Joe would LOVE it!!

Sandy,

Here's the LINK for you or anyone else for the hand delivered e-Greeting service at St. Luke's.

Sandy,

Here's the LINK for you or anyone else for the hand delivered e-Greeting service at St. Luke's.

I strongly suggest people send the elink greetings.

The hardest part about the hospital is the lack of meaningful sleep. The ICU makes it worse. All the beeping and booping of the machines. Doctors and nurses coming into the room when it is convenient to them. Getting your vitals taking manually at all hours or being given medications.

If you are in the ICU long enough, you can get what they call ICU-induced psychosis. Just being in a tight space with frequent interruptions and little sustained, restful sleep.

Really, being in a hospital is a form of torture. You are just about to go to sleep and some new person wakes you up. Or some machine goes nuts and beeps for no reason.

Hopefully, Joe gets better soon.

I strongly suggest people send the elink greetings.

The hardest part about the hospital is the lack of meaningful sleep. The ICU makes it worse. All the beeping and booping of the machines. Doctors and nurses coming into the room when it is convenient to them. Getting your vitals taking manually at all hours or being given medications.

If you are in the ICU long enough, you can get what they call ICU-induced psychosis. Just being in a tight space with frequent interruptions and little sustained, restful sleep.

Really, being in a hospital is a form of torture. You are just about to go to sleep and some new person wakes you up. Or some machine goes nuts and beeps for no reason.

Hopefully, Joe gets better soon.

TC,

A truer recap of the "ICU experience" could not have been presented. It can, indeed, be just like continuous drip water torture.

BTW, for those who wish to e-Greet, JOE BANOWSKY can be addressed to "Neuro ICU 7 South 4 bed 7." Joe is 3rd in line for an arteriogram, hopefully later this morning or early afternoon. Findings and postprocedural recovery will determine if he is moved out of the ICU late this afternoon or tomorrow.

TC,

A truer recap of the "ICU experience" could not have been presented. It can, indeed, be just like continuous drip water torture.

BTW, for those who wish to e-Greet, JOE BANOWSKY can be addressed to "Neuro ICU 7 South 4 bed 7." Joe is 3rd in line for an arteriogram, hopefully later this morning or early afternoon. Findings and postprocedural recovery will determine if he is moved out of the ICU late this afternoon or tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the ICU comes from my sister being in one for 7 (!) months from complications of her leukemia treatment. It was a brutality, and I will never be quite right about medical stuff ever again.

I think hospitals are a violation of the Geneva Convention, and the way they give treatment is only a few steps removed from witchcraft. Patients are human beings, but to care for so many people means that they are treated as meat. Docs, nurses, technicians, food prep folks and house cleaning staff all come into your room at whatever time suits them. Rest is impossible in a hospital. (My sister use to want to kill housekeeping people who decided that 5:00 am was a good time to mop up the room).

This is one of the reasons I am committed to eating well and exercising regularly and sensibly. You can do all the "right" things and still have to go to the hospital with a serious injury or illness, but that is no excuse for the fatalism that some have about their own health. You don't just want a long life, you want a quality life.

I just feel so bad for Joe. :fans:

I hear you, Steph!! Hospitals are "Da Devil"....

I dunno why but when I was visiting Joe the other day, I was nervous and on edge the entire time I was there. I don't like hospitals. I also don't like seeing Joe suffering from a terrible headache only to have the nurse say he can't take anything for 45 minutes... BTW, 45 minutes later there was no nurse to give him 'something'...

Evil, evil people..

I dunno why but when I was visiting Joe the other day, I was nervous and on edge the entire time I was there. I don't like hospitals. I also don't like seeing Joe suffering from a terrible headache only to have the nurse say he can't take anything for 45 minutes... BTW, 45 minutes later there was no nurse to give him 'something'...

Evil, evil people..

As usual nurses get the blame!! hohum, whats new!! Little do people know, who are not in the medical profession, how tedious our jobs really are. Not gonna adlib, just not worth it!

As for Joe! THANKS Jean for posting the link!! As much as you might care for someone, sometimes the best thing is to allow them time to heal. SOOOO many times I have seen patients FiNALLY get into a much needed state of SLEEP, just to be awakened by well meaning visitors. On the flip side, a patient can get very lonely and depressed when they have nothing to do but sit around and think about things. Call ahead, that's the best thing to do.

But you're the greatest in the world. That staff at St. Luke's can only aspire to be you!!! :)

:smooch:up!! Is that what you're tryin to do! lol

I can assure you, and everyone else who seems to think that nurses are EVIL, that we understand you needs, and complaints, much better than any of you know. I belong to a THANKLESS profession, and that's really sad. I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!

I can assure you, and everyone else who seems to think that nurses are EVIL, that we understand you needs, and complaints, much better than any of you know. I belong to a THANKLESS profession, and that's really sad. I can assure you, I will go to work tonight, work my butt off for 12 solid hours, give 100% of myself to my profession, and not have ONE patient or family member say "thank you!" Just about the most unappreciated profession out there! JMO!

Well if you were our nurse, we would have thanked you as we always do. Manners and respect still has meaning in our household.

I've spent a lot of time in hospitals. I've never had any major issues with nurses. If anything, it's the disconnect that I feel from doctors. Sometimes I feel like my nurses are my only link to reaching out for my doctor's humanity. There are some good and some bad.

True story. I once had a nurse set at St Joesph's named Hope and the other was named Mercy. Guess which one we liked... Mercy was brutal!

Evil, evil people..

Unfortunately, the type of headache Joe is experiencing is not the typical headache you can take something for and it's gone. His headache will be unrelenting until the blood clot irritating and putting pressure on his brain resorbs. Minimally, this will occur gradually over weeks. It is the type of headache that even with the strongest of pain medications will at best "take the edge off." Also, the apparent "requests" for such medications needs to be balanced with overdose and toxicity concerns associated with these not so benign medications. Although ICU nurses are charged with very demanding responsibilities, I, too, have had to counsel some concerning the timely delivery of "comfort" orders.

As an aside, I, myself, have been accused by some patients of withholding pain medications at times. However, as a physician, it is also important to remember that you can "kill a patient with kindness." Accordingly, I feel that there is no better example in medicine than the indiscriminate delivery or distribution of pain medication without regard to its "evils."

Sandy,

Good nurses like you and also specifically ICU nurses are underappreciated for the amount they do, for so many, in such a short period of time. Patients, their family and friends need to step back sometimes and understand that they or their loved ones have not been checked into a hotel primarily for comfort, they've been admitted to a hospital primarily for care. Most all good nurses do indeed try to deliver the latter with as much attention to the former as possible. Thank G-d for nurses........specifically ones like you.

Back