Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll - Who should Texans take @ #67?

Who should they take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think all of these QBs will be there when the Texans pick. I've seen Grant going from the early 2nd as the first Safety off the board, to late 3rd as the 6th Safety taken. Grant's draft slot really depends on how much teams value production (good for Grant) vs upside (poor for a player who will be 24 when he plays his first game).
This happens every year where we see players being reached for and others falling for inexplicable reasons - see Clellin Ferrill (taken at #4) for Raiders last season and Justin Reid (falling to the 3rd) a few seasons ago for us.
Different teams assess and value players according to their schemes more often than not - even while they claim they draft according to BPA.
BPA is an ambiguous term because the best player available would be the one of most value to your team and the first round picks are valuable and must hits.
This is where the best national mockers have their work cut out for them - they have to know the various schemes on D and O of every team and then match them with the skillsets of the draftees.

Jack Burton

Veteran
It's real simple, we need to start developing a young QB in the offensive system Culley will be bringing to the Texans.

Because Culley worked under Andy Reid for 17 years, it is likely this is the offense he will implement; and this offense is designed to utilize the skill set of a dual threat QB.

Mond is a dual threat quarterback.
Reids system requires a QB that can throw from the pocket accurately. Running around making crap up isn’t part of his system. That is wholly a product of the play breaking down and the QB being able to escape the pocket and improvise.
Like Elway. Like Mahomes. That’s not their primary role in the offense, and it’s not something you want your QB doing all the time. That’s how you get your QB injured. The best way to protect the length your QBs career is keeping him in the pocket. Running around only ever produces injuries.

Lamar Jackson has improved dramatically in the pocket and he was never terrible to begin with at LOU. Russell Wilson is a pure pocket passer who actually transferred schools to WISC so he could improve in a Pro Style offense like they run at Stanford.
Wilson doesn’t run a Reid style offense and yet like Mahomes or Elway when pressured he can break contain and take off and make plays with his feet.
The Rookie Of The Year QB Justin Herbert is a perfect example of the QB you want. Rocket arm, can make any throw, smart and has wheels and can take off and make plays with his feet. Just like Watson. Just like Josh Allen.
This idea that teams are moving towards a run-1st-centric QB is a laughably bad take. Just look at Mahomes and Allen’s passing numbers. They are pocket passers 1st.

Teams ultimately are looking for John Elway when he came out. He’s the model or the benchmark they want in their QB.
Smart
Rocket Arm
Mobile and has wheels

The best possible option is Sam Howell.
He is built dense and thick like Russell Wilson and can take all kinds of punishment, tall enough, big arm, throws off platform and on the run accurately, smart, and has really good escapability and wheels.

I also like Rattler next year. He needs to have a big year though. I think he’s going to take that next step. To me, this upcoming college year could just be the year of the snake.

Also, next years “Zack Wilson” could be the kid from Nevada. Carson Strong. I heard a lot of rumors that if he had come out this year he was also going in the 1st and that Sean Payton is absolutely enamored with him. Payton apparently loves this kid.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Reids system requires a QB that can throw from the pocket accurately. Running around making crap up isn’t part of his system. That is wholly a product of the play breaking down and the QB being able to escape the pocket and improvise. ...
A lot here. I'll give it more attention later. Right now I'm at Whataburger.

But my research of Reid's offense is that he has designed plays for the QB running the ball. His offense puts pressure on the defense because they always have to account for this. That's why the QB is a dual threat.

I read mention that there is a play in their playback called an inverted wishbone. Don't know what that is but it sounds interesting.

(Edit) The wishbone is a run-run option play with the QB under center. I suppose an inverted option would be a variation run from the shotgun.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's real simple, we need to start developing a young QB in the offensive system Culley will be bringing to the Texans.

Because Culley worked under Andy Reid for 17 years, it is likely this is the offense he will implement; and this offense is designed to utilize the skill set of a dual threat QB.

Mond is a dual threat quarterback.
Culley wont be here in 3 yrs and Mond isn't the future at QB. IMHO

He's just not a consistently accurate thrower of the football.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
When is a "Pocket QB" not a pocket QB? When they have the Texans OL.

When is a "Dual Threat QB" most effective? When they have an OL that permits them to be a "Pocket QB" first and a running/throwing QB second.

What should the term be for a Texans QB not yet coined in the annals of NFL QB discussions? "Survivalist QB" Definition: A QB that has a set passing play and on 70% or more of their dropbacks must survive the defensive onslaught from most any direction or all directions on the majority of dropbacks, thus scrapping called play and finding a way to survive to play another down.

Texans have proven hands down that they have no idea how to develop a QB or build an OL (sorry maybe 3 years of decent to top 5 OL). I hope Caserio decides to make the OL the "FIRST" priority and QB later. Texans have Taylor for the next 2 seasons and I'd truly be disappointed if they wasted their #67 pick on a QB......this is not a position of need at the moment.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Culley wont be here in 3 yrs and Mond isn't the future at QB. IMHO

He's just not a consistently accurate thrower of the football.
Scouting reports are that he's inconsistant "outside the numbers" particularly on vertical passes. He's consistent and accurate in the middle of the field. His senior year he completed 188/297 (63%) with 19 TD's and only 3 INT's. In comparison, Mill's, over his 11 career starts, had a completion percentage of 65% with 18 TD's and 8 INT's.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Scouting reports are that he's inconsistant "outside the numbers" particularly on vertical passes. He's consistent and accurate in the middle of the field. His senior year he completed 188/297 (63%) with 19 TD's and only 3 INT's. In comparison, Mill's, over his 11 career starts, had a completion percentage of 65% with 18 TD's and 8 INT's.
I've seen Mond play many time as I'm sure you have, he's a backup QB.

I dont take stats into account because 1. Mills hasn't started many games and he played with guys that aren't nearly as talented as the team Fisher put together.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I've seen Mond play many time as I'm sure you have, he's a backup QB.

I dont take stats into account because 1. Mills hasn't started many games and he played with guys that aren't nearly as talented as the team Fisher put together.
Read my post #22 in the Reserve/Commissioner Exempt List thread.

This and several other posts should be moved.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When is a "Pocket QB" not a pocket QB? When they have the Texans OL.

When is a "Dual Threat QB" most effective? When they have an OL that permits them to be a "Pocket QB" first and a running/throwing QB second.

What should the term be for a Texans QB not yet coined in the annals of NFL QB discussions? "Survivalist QB" Definition: A QB that has a set passing play and on 70% or more of their dropbacks must survive the defensive onslaught from most any direction or all directions on the majority of dropbacks, thus scrapping called play and finding a way to survive to play another down.

Texans have proven hands down that they have no idea how to develop a QB or build an OL (sorry maybe 3 years of decent to top 5 OL). I hope Caserio decides to make the OL the "FIRST" priority and QB later. Texans have Taylor for the next 2 seasons and I'd truly be disappointed if they wasted their #67 pick on a QB......this is not a position of need at the moment.
DW4 developed very well.

I'm not saying a QB shouldn't be able to move around. He has to be able to do this. But running with the ball should be the option of last resort, not the look at your primary option and if he's not open take off running.

Agree with your last paragraph, unless you think you can trade up and get Mills in the 2nd because you like him as your future franchise QB. The cost will be less than if you wait until the 2022 draft to get your QB.

I kind of like Rattler and Strong in the 2022 draft. Both are fairly mobile and are accurate throwing the ball. Do not want Howell.

Jack Burton

Veteran
DW4 developed very well.

I'm not saying a QB shouldn't be able to move around. He has to be able to do this. But running with the ball should be the option of last resort, not the look at your primary option and if he's not open take off running.

Agree with your last paragraph, unless you think you can trade up and get Mills in the 2nd because you like him as your future franchise QB. The cost will be less than if you wait until the 2022 draft to get your QB.

I kind of like Rattler and Strong in the 2022 draft. Both are fairly mobile and are accurate throwing the ball. Do not want Howell.
What don’t you like about Howell?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Here are the selections by position by the Patriots from 2008-2020 (while Caserio was Director of Player Personnel).

EDGE - 4
LB - 3
QB - 3
TE - 2
OT - 2
RB - 2
WR - 2
IOL - 1
DL - 1
S - 1
CB - 1

22 3rd round picks in 13 drafts. Caserio should be very comfortable drafting in this round. The Patriots drafted every position other than P or K over that time period. Edge rusher, linebacker, and (surprisingly) quarterback led the way.

I predicted DE Payton Turner prior to this bit of research. But, the OP pick of a LB made sense, too. As would pretty much any position. Still, don't be shocked if a QB is selected at #67. The 3 Patriots picks (McConnell '08, Mallett '11, Brisett '16) were guys with good size , 6'4" or better. That suggests 6'5" Kyle Trask might have the edge on other QBs rated in this area. Trask did run a Brady like 5.07 40 at his pro day, ya know.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Here are the selections by position by the Patriots from 2008-2020 (while Caserio was Director of Player Personnel).

EDGE - 4
LB - 3
QB - 3
TE - 2
OT - 2
RB - 2
WR - 2
IOL - 1
DL - 1
S - 1
CB - 1

22 3rd round picks in 13 drafts. Caserio should be very comfortable drafting in this round. The Patriots drafted every position other than P or K over that time period. Edge rusher, linebacker, and (surprisingly) quarterback led the way.

I predicted DE Payton Turner prior to this bit of research. But, the OP pick of a LB made sense, too. As would pretty much any position. Still, don't be shocked if a QB is selected at #67. The 3 Patriots picks (McConnell '08, Mallett '11, Brisett '16) were guys with good size , 6'4" or better. That suggests 6'5" Kyle Trask might have the edge on other QBs rated in this area. Trask did run a Brady like 5.07 40 at his pro day, ya know.
Great info

Thanks

Number19

Hall of Fame

EDGE - 4
LB - 3
QB - 3
TE - 2
OT - 2
RB - 2
WR - 2
IOL - 1
DL - 1
S - 1
CB - 1

Would you say Belichick and Reid run the same style of offense? If Culley spent 17 years coaching under Reid, during the years Reid was developing his offense, which style of offense is Culley more likely to implement? Caserio may be from the Pat's organization, but why would the Texans hire a Reid coaching disciple if they intended to implement an E-P system? Should the QB you select to run your offense fit/complement the style of your offense?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Would you say Belichick and Reid run the same style of offense?
No, but I don't think what type of offense the Texans runs in 2021 will have much (if any) influence on the draft day decisions. I think Caserio will take the best player available, in his estimation. There's a lot that goes into that. Talent, production, consistency, injuries..all of that comes into play in selecting a player. System? Not so much. Especially at ground zero of this organization.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Agree. By that logic, you could also look at his best day and overestimate one.
We can all have off days for any number of reasons.
Howell broke almost every single ACC freshman record set by Trevor Lawrence.
Last year as a sophomore he threw for 3500 yds 30 TDS and 7 INTS and had 5 rushing TDS with a 68% completion.
FFS, gimme a break. Folks saying he’s not allowed one bad game?!?!!

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Howell broke almost every single ACC freshman record set by Trevor Lawrence.
Last year as a sophomore he threw for 3500 yds 30 TDS and 7 INTS and had 5 rushing TDS with a 68% completion.
FFS, gimme a break.
Yeah I haven't seen him play but his stats are pretty impressive.
It will be interesting to watch his 2021 season.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The Texans would be wise to use this draft for helping Lovie Smith implement his defense with the personnel he needs. The defensive line especially needs help. It's not likely they'll wind up with a plug and play type of player this deep in the draft but there are some guys that could work their way into the starting line-up later in the season.

One guy I like is Osa Odighizuwa. He works hard, can play along multiple alignments and should be able to bulk up a little in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

OptimisticTexan

I’m not going to equate a 2021 RD3 QB to a 2022 or 2023 RD1 QB investment. Get your OL, TE and running game in better order....then prepare to invest in a RD1 QB so you optimize the 5 year rookie contract with a better team around him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I hope the Texans draft a bunch of guys for totally non-football related reasons. Workout warriors who were team captains & pillars of their communities.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I hope the Texans draft a bunch of guys for totally non-football related reasons. Workout warriors who were team captains & pillars of their communities.
Can you give us a scouting report on the draftable FCA leaders available? That will be a necessary check mark on anyone the Texans take.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Dude, that’s one freaking game. Cmon. I’ve seen Mills make terrible decisions in numerous games.
If your going by one game, your casting out every single QB who ever played.
I'm not saying I want them to draft Mills either.

I just dont get the Howell hype. Howell also looked very avg against the Aggies.

I'm a 2022 Carson Strong guy.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I'm not saying I want them to draft Mills either.

I just dont get the Howell hype. Howell also looked very avg against the Aggies.

I'm a 2022 Carson Strong guy.
That’s fine, I like Strong too but you can’t discount Howell. His escapability and ability to throw on the run is excellent. It’s very Russell Wilson. He’s really good.
He does not have that Carson Strong arm though.
Strong has a cannon and can make any NFL level throw. His mechanics are good too. Can read a defense and go through his progressions.
It’s no wonder Payton wanted to replace Brees with him.
The other good thing for Strong is most of the guys he threw to returned to NEV.

OptimisticTexan

I voted for Creed Humphrey (OK) and I know he’ll be gone before the Texans pick at 67. I do want a tough nosed OL and see OG- Ben Cleveland (GA) as being right there at 67. It would be a tough pass if Dickerson (AL) has slipped to 67 b/c of his injury history (2 ACL same knee). If Dickerson has made it to 67, his free fall may not be complete so I would still select a healthy Cleveland at 67 and if Dickerson was still on the board in RD5.....at this point, selecting Dickerson could well be worth the pick.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I also like Ronnie Perkins Ed but he is likely to be overlooked because he grades out slightly lower than where we pick.
Few red flags might hurt Perkins. Good pick if the team wants to take a chance, if he is still there.

Elerson Smith DE of N. Iowa might be there. Did well in the senior bowl.

Scouts really have a lot of work to do. I feel that under our circumstances we look more at bpa than needs.

Gotta re-stock.

:coffee:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Dickerson is a man amongst boys, even next level. Falling to #67 would be injustice enough and he would be playing with chip on his shoulder. Medically cleared of course.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Few red flags might hurt Perkins. Good pick if the team wants to take a chance, if he is still there.

Elerson Smith DE of N. Iowa might be there. Did well in the senior bowl.

Scouts really have a lot of work to do. I feel that under our circumstances we look more at bpa than needs.

Gotta re-stock.

Love me some Ellerson Smith as well as Jordan Smith.

I picked Samuel because he's a starting nickel CB and I think he can play outside some too. Would be a massive upgrade over Hargreaves. Also I picked Samuel because the Smith's were available to pick.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

I picked Samuel because he's a starting nickel CB and I think he can play outside some too. Would be a massive upgrade over Hargreaves. Also I picked Samuel because the Smith's were available to pick.

" Smith embarrassed potential NFL Draft first-round offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood in one-on-ones with a beautiful dip around the edge."
pfn

Hadn't seen his name before.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

This sites shows both Trask and Mills there at 67.

Mond still there. Do we want a QB this year with our first pick?

Highest rated defensive player left is Richie Grant, S, UCF

Good way to get away from all the Watson stuff.

We may take a QB, maybe we even trade up somehow without going and wasting all our picks to do it. That's IF we think that a QB is worth waiting on for a year. And Watson is not in jail and we will be able to trade him for something like a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (as an example) a team like NE or Philly might do it. Because he is not going to be worth the price of this year prior to the legal stuff. Pep knows QBs well he was even around with Manning (if I remember correctly) and helped him. IF they don't think a QB is good enough to get then DB it is likely to be. I really think Newman is going to be there if they want a QB who is similar to Cam Newton in his prime. He just has a few things he can fix and could be amazing then.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I have no interest in Crum but Ramsey is interesting. I definitely do not want to look past the draft but I am going to be very interested in how Caserio does with udfa after draft.

Most years I am anxious for draft to get here but am glad about 30 days remain.
Texans still get the third bite of the cherry on the waiver wire so we should be able to get a decent guy or two after final cuts to the 53.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We may take a QB, maybe we even trade up somehow without going and wasting all our picks to do it. That's IF we think that a QB is worth waiting on for a year. And Watson is not in jail and we will be able to trade him for something like a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (as an example) a team like NE or Philly might do it. Because he is not going to be worth the price of this year prior to the legal stuff. Pep knows QBs well he was even around with Manning (if I remember correctly) and helped him. IF they don't think a QB is good enough to get then DB it is likely to be. I really think Newman is going to be there if they want a QB who is similar to Cam Newton in his prime. He just has a few things he can fix and could be amazing then.
Pep coached at Stanford

Mills played at Stanford

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

In the nfl simulator I got Elerson smith at # 147

Josh Meyers at #67
Cameron McGrone at #109
Doubled down on Shaka Toney E @ 158

Might make a change if I can locate a can't miss NT

More fun than reading all the DW stuff.