Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll - Who should Texans take @ #67?

Who should they take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Offensive Centers are generally given lower priority in the draft, except for the outstanding prospects, of course.

This year, there may be only two teams with a high priority at OC. But they also have high priorities at other positions such as WR and CB. There is also a small handful of teams, maybe 4, which have secondary or tertiary priorities at the position.

What this means for the Texans is that there is a reasonable probability that Quinn Meinerz could be there for us at 3(67). This will likely be determined how teams rank him compared to Humphrey and Dickerson and how injury concerns play into the evaluation.

I have CB Ifeatu Melifonwu penciled in at 67 and he would likely contribute very quickly, this year, and likely be starting within two years, if not this year.

I really like Meinerz, but I don't think he'll contribute this year. Britt will be our OC this year and should be a significant improvement, if he is recovered from his 2019 knee injury. He did not play in 2020, and his contract is only for one year.

CloakNNNdagger, addressing Britt's knee, is uncharacteristically positive, writing "...his chances of returning to play is very good...and his chances of returning to his pre-injury peak performance, can be just as good...".

If both players are there for us at 3(67) this will present an interesting decision for Caserio. I think he goes CB and I think I agree.

Meinerz is getting most of the hype.

Think I'll take my chance with Josh Myers C Ohio State @ 67.

:coffee:

Offensive Centers are generally given lower priority in the draft, except for the outstanding prospects, of course.

This year, there may be only two teams with a high priority at OC. But they also have high priorities at other positions such as WR and CB. There is also a small handful of teams, maybe 4, which have secondary or tertiary priorities at the position.

What this means for the Texans is that there is a reasonable probability that Quinn Meinerz could be there for us at 3(67). This will likely be determined how teams rank him compared to Humphrey and Dickerson and how injury concerns play into the evaluation.

I have CB Ifeatu Melifonwu penciled in at 67 and he would likely contribute very quickly, this year, and likely be starting within two years, if not this year.

I really like Meinerz, but I don't think he'll contribute this year. Britt will be our OC this year and should be a significant improvement, if he is recovered from his 2019 knee injury. He did not play in 2020, and his contract is only for one year.
Some teams might view Meinerz as a OG. In one of the prospect interviews I read with him he said he’s better at guard. So unfortunately there is a chance that he won’t be there for this reason.

Some teams might view Meinerz as a OG. In one of the prospect interviews I read with him he said he’s better at guard. So unfortunately there is a chance that he won’t be there for this reason.
If he not there, he's not there. The real question is how deep is the run on CB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds. From what I'm reading, QB, CB and WR are our highest priorities. I'd add Edge Rusher; but I'm thinking CB is how Caserio will go if the right player is there and another player they really like doesn't fall into their lap. Melifonwu is the one I'll be watching.

If he not there, he's not there. The real question is how deep is the run on CB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds. From what I'm reading, QB, CB and WR are our highest priorities. I'd add Edge Rusher; but I'm thinking CB is how Caserio will go if the right player is there and another player they really like doesn't fall into their lap. Melifonwu is the one I'll be watching.
I just don’t think we’ll go QB in the draft. We have needs everywhere, so I’d concentrate on building the rest of our roster needs this year.
My opinion on our highest priority positions are CB, coverage LB, WR, iOL, and DL.
I think we can get a quality WR in the 4th or 5th rounds, so I’d look at the other positions at 67 unless an elite WR falls into our lap.

...My opinion on our highest priority positions are CB, coverage LB, WR, iOL, and DL.
I think we can get a quality WR in the 4th or 5th rounds, so I’d look at the other positions at 67 unless an elite WR falls into our lap.
I'm in agreement on this. See my post #235 in this thread.

After looking at team needs, prospect grades and likely draft positions, these are players I think have reasonable chances of being available for us to select in each round.

I'd address OC in the 6th and I think there will be one available.

I don't think Caserio will pick a QB at 67 because I don't think one will fall to us. But if one did, one that Caserio likes, and I've read Mond and Trask are being considered, he may just decide to go in this direction.

I just don’t think we’ll go QB in the draft. We have needs everywhere, so I’d concentrate on building the rest of our roster needs this year.
My opinion on our highest priority positions are CB, coverage LB, WR, iOL, and DL.

Agree about the QB.

Simi Fehoko Stanford WR is there at # 158.

Meinerz is getting most of the hype.

Think I'll take my chance with Josh Myers C Ohio State @ 67.

I think Myers would more likely be there @ #67, and would be good value.
A WR isn't a big need. Although if a good WR like Marshall is BPA at 67 then I would pick him.

I consider DL/secondary and LB to be bigger needs.
I think needs are thrown out at the beginning of a rebuild. Almost every position can be upgraded. And the spots that the Texans are strong at (like LT), may not be on the roster if/when this thing turns around.

I usually say, "Best player available at a need position." Or, "Player that can have the most impact on the team." I don't care who will be the best player for the team for this season. At all. Project who will be the best player available in 2023. That's Caserio's job in this draft.

A WR isn't a big need. Although if a good WR like Marshall is BPA at 67 then I would pick him.

I consider DL/secondary and LB to be bigger needs.

Unless Caserio can trade up it will be difficult to locate an elite LB.

J Cox LSU might possibly fall to us.

Later round projects we could work with

Jordan Smith UAB (Texans worthy?)
Charles Snowden Virginia
DeAngelo Malone Western Kentucky

Thoughts?

Charles Snowden Virginia

Thoughts?

I love Malone.

a few teams will make a pick that none of the draft "experts" expects and someone will be there that wasn't supposed to be...........b/c someone ALWAYS falls.

My bet is either Joe Tryon or Daviyon Nixon will be within 2-3 picks for us in the 3rd b/c someone's gonna take Davis Mills/Kellen Mond, Quinn Mienerez & a few other dudes with name cache like Trey Sermon and/or Jabril Cox before they should....

a few teams will make a pick that none of the draft "experts" expects and someone will be there that wasn't supposed to be...........b/c someone ALWAYS falls.

My bet is either Joe Tryon or Daviyon Nixon will be within 2-3 picks for us in the 3rd b/c someone's gonna take Davis Mills/Kellen Mond, Quinn Mienerez & a few other dudes with name cache like Trey Sermon and/or Jabril Cox before they should....

Nixon has character concerns and isn’t a fit for all teams. Good chance he’s there at #67. Poor chance the Texans select him.

This happens every year.

If Tyron falls to the bottom of the 2nd to you use one of the 6ths to move up and get him?

Charles Snowden Virginia

Thoughts?

I would love to see Jabrill Cox on our Defense - I know we need Dline and CB help most but he is a high energy impact guy and can run sideline to sideline as a hybrid LB/Safety/ pass rusher.
I know I had him as possibly falling to us but his senior bowl performance likely caught many an eye and so I can see him going mid 2nd round.

I would love to see Jabrill Cox on our Defense - I know we need Dline and CB help most but he is a high energy impact guy and can run sideline to sideline as a hybrid LB/Safety/ pass rusher.
I know I had him as possibly falling to us but his senior bowl performance likely caught many an eye and so I can see him going mid 2nd round.
Agreed. I think he’s drafted in the 45-60 range.
I would love to see him as a cornerstone in the middle.

Charles Snowden Virginia

Thoughts?

I’m not familiar with Malone. Love Cox and Smith. My concern with Snowden is that I think he projects more of a 3-4 defensive front, so I don’t think he’d be a fit for us anymore.

This happens every year.

If Tyron falls to the bottom of the 2nd to you use one of the 6ths to move up and get him?

Not him..i just don't see the explosion or bevy of pass rush moves to warrant giving up an extra pick to get him. But I might consider it for Nixon. He's got a pretty good motor, he's a penetrating DT and good fit for Lovie's scheme & he moves pretty well. Also it doesn't mean a whole lot, but what the hell. The Last 6 big 10 defensive players of the year:

Chase Young - stud
Devin Bush - stud
Josey Jewell - solid contributor
Jabrill Peppers - solid contributor
Carl Nassib - bum
Joey Bosa - stud
Chris Borland - stud.....before he abruptly retired.

Last edited:
What do y’all think of this idea?

What if we drafted Walker Little OT, and then we could potentially trade Tunsil.

Sounds like he has the "tools".
Like almost every player he scouts Zerlein says he needs "to be stronger" to play in the NFL.
Most every player I get interested in Lance pizzes on my parade.

I think what you propose is the type of forward thinking that most good GM's possess.

We no longer have a franchise QB to protect so now would be an opportune time to make a move like you suggest.

Wonder what Tunsil would bring in the way of draft choices?

Not him..i just don't see the explosion or bevy of pass rush moves to warrant giving up an extra pick to get him. But I might consider it for Nixon. He's got a pretty good motor, he's a penetrating DT and good fit for Lovie's scheme & he moves pretty well. Also it doesn't mean a whole lot, but what the hell. The Last 6 big 10 players of the year:

Chase Young - stud
Devin Bush - stud
Carl Nassib - bum
Joey Bosa - stud
Chris Borland LB - wasn't he the one people said would be no good because he had T-Rex arms?

Not him..i just don't see the explosion or bevy of pass rush moves to warrant giving up an extra pick to get him. But I might consider it for Nixon. He's got a pretty good motor, he's a penetrating DT and good fit for Lovie's scheme & he moves pretty well. Also it doesn't mean a whole lot, but what the hell. The Last 6 big 10 defensive players of the year:

Chase Young - stud
Devin Bush - stud
Carl Nassib - bum
Joey Bosa - stud

I cant tell you why I dont like Nixon. Maybe it's because his motor runs hot and cold. Maybe it's because he's a bit of a 1 yr wonder. Maybe it's because I really cant remember an Iowa DT that is a difference maker except Mike Daniels is pretty good.

Would love to get this guy. Just can't see taking him over a much needed center at #67.

He will be long gone by #109

I could see him possibly being there.

How would you feel about what John Harris was talking about on the radio today. He thinks Caserio will trade back from 67 to the middle/end of the 3rd plus pickup a 2022 draft pick

What do y’all think of this idea?

What if we drafted Walker Little OT, and then we could potentially trade Tunsil.
Tunsil $25 million dead hit pre June 1 trade. Post June it can be spread..

I have suggested that but it would depend on what the return would be. I suggested 1.13 and their round three. I think Walker Little is real deal but his health is a risk.

I noticed on one of the sim sites (don’t recall which one).....they had OG- Ben Cleveland (Georgia) projected to be an NFL Center. I’ve spoke of this as well. I think his straight forward power and no push back bull strength makes him a natural to move over to Center and build his career from that position. What I really like is his nasty demeanor of play until the whistle blows. Texans really need someone with a nasty streak, who can back it up, on their OL.

I could see him possibly being there.

How would you feel about what John Harris was talking about on the radio today. He thinks Caserio will trade back from 67 to the middle/end of the 3rd plus pickup a 2022 draft pick

I was dead set on getting a center, J Myers from Ohio State. Most of the mocks I've made shows him gone after 67.

Guess there is an outside chance he'll be there a little longer. If not I suppose D Dalman C from Stanford is an option. He's projected for the 5th round, but I don't think he will be there for us at that spot.

So confused.

Still working a mock where I can get the CB Adebo at #67.

I was dead set on getting a center, J Myers from Ohio State. Most of the mocks I've made shows him gone after 67.

Guess there is an outside chance he'll be there a little longer. If not I suppose D Dalman C from Stanford is an option. He's projected for the 5th round, but I don't think he will be there for us at that spot.

So confused.

Still working a mock where I can get the CB Adebo at #67.

Broaddus/Brooks/Brugler/Youmans did a mock and at the start of the 3rd rd

Some of the guys still available were

Centers- Myers/Meinertz

DL Basham/Odeyingbo/Turner/Wilson/Tuefele/Tuipuloto/Togiai/TOnga/Jordan Smith/Ellerson Smith

LB's Werner/Moses/Bolton/Browning/Suratt/McGrone/Rice

CB's Melifonu/Adebo/Rochell/St. Juste/Thomas/Vincent/Wade/Gowan

S- Holland/Deablo/Nasirildeen/Gilespe/Uuphoff

Looks like prime trade down to mid 3rd rd and get another pick in the 2022 draft time.

Broaddus/Brooks/Brugler/Youmans did a mock and at the start of the 3rd rd

Some of the guys still available were

Centers- Myers/Meinertz

DL Basham/Odeyingbo/Turner/Wilson/Tuefele/Tuipuloto/Togiai/TOnga/Jordan Smith/Ellerson Smith

LB's Werner/Moses/Bolton/Browning/Suratt/McGrone/Rice

CB's Melifonu/Adebo/Rochell/St. Juste/Thomas/Vincent/Wade/Gowan

S- Holland/Deablo/Nasirildeen/Gilespe/Uuphoff

Looks like prime trade down to mid 3rd rd and get another pick in the 2022 draft time.
Nice work.
2022 and at least a couple more drafts after that are projected to be much deeper than this years class so banking more picks for those years seems to be a good idea - the later rounds should yield some better quality guys than you would normally expect.
I don't think Caserio (or anyone else for that matter) expects this team will be in the divisional race this year so he has that luxury.
He will have to find more talent post draft as the season gets closer.

Folks who degrade PFF NFL Draft Guide immediately tells me they do not subscribe to the guide and know little if anything about PFF. As a subscriber I can tell you the PFF Draft Guide is put together by folks who are much smarter than the Bruglers, Kipers, McShays, Brooks, Jeremiahs, Zierleins of the draft world. PFF has some real mathematical wiz kids doing analytical and an army full The PFF agents grinding and grading videos. They provide more draft info than any other organization. No one else is better prepared and that includes many NFL draft rooms. I fell confident that all 32 NFL teams subscribes to PFFs draft guide. If you are not, then you are missing out.

PFF's 2021 NFL Draft Guide is LIVE!
COLLEGE
PFF's 2021 NFL Draft Guide is loaded with PFF grades, advanced data, analysis and more. It's now live and made available to all EDGE and ELITE subscribers.

NFL, Fantasy Football, and NFL Draft | PFF

Go ahead and spend the $30, you'll be the best informed Draftnik you've ever been.

#109 - Tommy Togiai, DL Ohio St. 6'2", 296, 40 REPS, SUB 5.0 40
Cris’ one and only NFL Mock Draft w/ Mike Renner, plus HOF CEO David Baker - YouTube

Jamin Davis and Peyton Turner are off the board so you only have 8 choices now!
This poll is open until 4:51pm.

Why? What makes him pop for you as a franchise QB? I haven’t dived into the QB class next year, so I’m curious why him versus Howell or Rattler (2 names I’ve heard a lot of).

Mobile, very accurate, strong arm and throws with good anticipation. Plus he's used to taking hits since he plays on an avg team. Throws a great deep ball.

Mobile, very accurate, strong arm and throws with good anticipation. Plus he's used to taking hits since he plays on an avg team. Throws a great deep ball.
I’m glancing over him now. Would you be concerned that it’s an air raid offense? I do love how accurate he is, but is it because the system he plays in

Expanding on QBs this is why I'm against taking a QB in this years draft. Odds are in favor of Texans having the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. IMO the 4 I listed above all look to have more promise than Mills or Mond.
I agree with you there. I want to focus on other areas in this years draft in hopes that will be in a better position for next year.

I agree with you there. I want to focus on other areas in this years draft in hopes that will be in a better position for next year.
The more successful teams who win consistently have a common denominator in that they're the best in trenches. The OL's that are the strongest and most athletic make for better QBs, RBs, and WRs. The stronger faster DL win championships. Fix the OL and DL FIRST!

The more successful teams who win consistently have a common denominator in that they're the best in trenches. The OL's that are the strongest and most athletic make for better QBs, RBs, and WRs. The stronger faster DL win championships. Fix the OL and DL FIRST!

Great!!!! Another trench man. Get that “Baker’s Dozen” squared up and it really makes it easier on the rest of the crew.

Baker’s Dozen: OL (5), DL (3 or 4), LB (4 or 3), and......TE (1)

Back