Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Patriots Accuse Texans of Tampering

Hate the thought of giving them a pick, but I wouldn’t sweat a 3rd rounder..as it stands now, we could possibly get another 3rd round compensatory pick for Matthieu...if the pot needs to be sweetened give them the 7th round compensatory for Lamm.

If they don’t want that, **** it, you get nothing & u let the process play out & he comes here anyway. Under no circumstances am I giving them a 1 or a 2...

They do indeed operate on the fringes of what's right, but this time, they may have made the wrong move. Kraft and Belichick might not have thought about the Texans being able to solve this whole thing just by offering them a draft pick. That would really throw a monkey wrench in the works of their trying to find a "loop hole" to slow or stop the Texans from getting their GM. Let's see what happens. Hopefully it's over today or early this week.

This isn't going to be over for some time. That's the point. We need a new GM now and the Pats know that. They are attempting to extend the process, even if it's a losing case, in the hopes that the Texans will get antsy and move on because of our need to have the front office straight as soon as possible.

Perhaps he wants out of the shadow of BB

To play devil's advocate, Belichick is going to hang it up soon. That's why all their top brass is trying to hang around. Somebody is going to inherit a well oiled machine and other people in that franchise are going to get a lot more power once BB hangs it up.

Also, there's no telling if Caserio would even come to Houston considering the current HC has won power struggles with the last 2 GM's and gotten them both fired.

John McClain's chat: Will Nick Caserio be Texans' next GM? https://t.co/V6loVMQkpF

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) June 13, 2019

-Caserio wants to take this job; they’re trying to prevent him from interviewing
-Would have full control as Brian Gaine, Rick Smith & Charlie Casserly did
-Tight will Bill O’Brien; Tight with Jack Easterby
-Patriots trying to say Easterby tampered last week at ring ceremony
-Texans not giving up number one draft choice
-Could end any day with a settlement or could play out
-If it plays out on & don’t get Caserio, they’ll stick with what they have. (O’Brien personnel; Easterby football operations; Olsen cap/contracts; Jamey Roots administrative side)
-They’re pulling out all the stops to keep him from leaving
-Does NFL rule they have to let him interview? If so, he’s coming & Texans will get him as their new GM
-Would give up a 3rd round pick; Patriots will wait & hold out for a 1/2, Patriots will stall & hold out as long as they can
-Caserio is worth a draft pick, wouldn’t give up a 1st or 2nd
-If Caserio didn’t want to leave, he’d just say no. If Caserio didn’t want to interview, he’d just say no. He wants the job.
-Lots of teams have tried to get Caserio & failed. It’ll be a lot of fun to see how this plays out. If a guy wants to go, been here since 2001, I want to go there & be GM, do they really want to force him to stay?
-(What if they did tamper?) They can be fined, lose draft choices. KC tampered with Jeremy Maclin. Chiefs lost 3rd/5th round picks, Reid fined $75K, Dorsey $25K
-Two of his best friends(O’Brien/Easterby) has a lot to do with him wanting to go.
-(Why would NE settle for a 3rd if they tampered and why would Houston give up anything if they did nothing?) If they don’t want to wait to see, and I don’t think they’ll take a 3, I can see the Texans offering it to make it go away. Patriots will go to the end & tie them up. They should offer a 3.
-(How will it end?) He wants to leave & come to Houston. I don’t think they can block him based on the way the rules are written. The Texans can still be found guilty of tampering and be fined/lose a draft choice or two. I’ll say Caserio ends up here.
-(Timetable?) If they don’t get Caserio, won’t hire a GM until next year. Not necessary they hire someone else.
-(Discrimination suit?) Brian Gaine being fired had nothing to do with that.

Yeah, okay. Caserio wants the job so bad and the Patriots are just holding him hostage. Very plausible.

And what a shocker that old fat McLain the Texan schill is painting everything completely rosy on the Texans behalf. Is Jon Harris gonna chime in next and tell us the same?

Is he 'scraps' if they don't want to let him go?

I don't think it's that. It's just the Patriots working the system, exploring every loophole, turning over every rock, like the Patriots do.

Wasn't there a rule change recently about offensive formations because of something the Patriots were exploiting? Just the Patriots Patrioting.

The system is B.S. the Patriots never follow the rules and rarely get punished for it.
They should give us a pick, when the league finds out they wrongly accused us just to try to get a pick out of us.
I was just thinking this if there’s no proof they should lose a pick

To play devil's advocate, Belichick is going to hang it up soon. That's why all their top brass is trying to hang around. Somebody is going to inherit a well oiled machine and other people in that franchise are going to get a lot more power once BB hangs it up.

Also, there's no telling if Caserio would even come to Houston considering the current HC has won power struggles with the last 2 GM's and gotten them both fired.

Unless that “well oiled machine” includes Tom Brady then whoever does inherent it is actually coming into a tough situation. NE and it’s fans have gotten use to winning and if BB and Brady hang it up around the same time then the next GM/HC is going to have some huge shoes to fill and a fan base expecting business as usual. Honestly it’s not near as good a deal as you’d think.

Also BoB getting two GMs fired is completely asinine. Smith left to be with his wife in what would be her last days and there is zero evidence that BoB even knew about Gaine going to be fired.

The system is B.S. the Patriots never follow the rules and rarely get punished for it.
They should give us a pick, when the league finds out they wrongly accused us just to try to get a pick out of us.
I disagree. It's been widely acknowledged that every team was filming opponent practices but who was the fall guy? BB and the Pats.
Deflategate was a ridiculous witch hunt, where the only "real" evidence was a decision by Brady to destroy a phone. Bad optics sure, but he very well could've had some pictures or videos on the phone he didn't want to get out. We all know how well the NFL keeps a lid on things.

I find it funny when people rail against the Pats as cheaters. I would absolutely love having a coach that knows the rules better than the referees and could bend those rules to his teams advantage. The Texans coach says that's not his job.

:spit: Then why are you wanting their staff members so badly?

Hate them, but you really want to them literally.

exactly Belichick is just an a-hole. And he likes wielding his power any chance he can, even if he knows he's wrong. If he can do it, he will. If he's not allowed to do it, he'll try anyway.
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. I'd give up 5 1st round picks to have BB as the Texans HC/GM. He is head and shoulders above every other coach in the league.

Unless that “well oiled machine” includes Tom Brady then whoever does inherent it is actually coming into a tough situation.

Right. Remember what happened to the Colts when Peyton went down. Then again, the Pats did win 11 games with Matt Cassel. But once both Belichick and Brady are gone, it ain't gonna be the same around them parts. No one will ever live up to them, and they'll hear about it.

Never know. They did trade us Ryan Mallett.

I'm probably just an idiot here, but I don't get the connection.

I don't think it's that. It's just the Patriots working the system, exploring every loophole, turning over every rock, like the Patriots do.

Wasn't there a rule change recently about offensive formations because of something the Patriots were exploiting? Just the Patriots Patrioting.

They're definitely doing that. But I don't think that precludes their preference to keep Caserio an integral part of their plans.

Last edited:

Trying to draw the connection that we overvalue their goods. Not a good drawer I know. Could be worse.

Meanwhile the Texans haven't read the rule book

The question I have that I can't find an answer to is -- Caserio is going to get interviewed as part of the tampering charges and if his story is that we tampered, is that enough to impose a penalty on us given the circumstances that we met w/ him the day before firing Gaine and then tried to interview him?

I'm guessing it's enough to be penalized. And even if it isn't, I don't know if the Texans brass can feel confident that they won't get penalized. We can't exactly call Caserio and ask him what he's going to say and screw this up worse than it already is. And I'm not sure how they could be confident that he'll deny tampering even if he originally told us he wanted the job -- he did meet w/ Kraft and BB before filing charges and who knows what went on in that meeting?

My point is that BB basically has a gun to our head demanding a draft pick for Caserio. The gun is the fact that we might lose a draft pick and not get Caserio if the investigation continues and we're found guilty as charged. So the better option is to at least get Caserio for that draft pick and trade it to NE.

The question I have that I can't find an answer to is -- Caserio is going to get interviewed as part of the tampering charges and if his story is that we tampered, is that enough to impose a penalty on us given the circumstances that we met w/ him the day before firing Gaine and then tried to interview him?

I'm guessing it's enough to be penalized. And even if it isn't, I don't know if the Texans brass can feel confident that they won't get penalized. We can't exactly call Caserio and ask him what he's going to say and screw this up worse than it already is. And I'm not sure how they could be confident that he'll deny tampering even if he originally told us he wanted the job -- he did meet w/ Kraft and BB before filing charges and who knows what went on in that meeting?

My point is that BB basically has a gun to our head demanding a draft pick for Caserio. The gun is the fact that we might lose a draft pick and not get Caserio if the investigation continues and we're found guilty as charged. So the better option is to at least get Caserio for that draft pick and trade it to NE.

That is what NE is counting on. We will be too scared to force the issue and cave in and just give them a pick or two. I hope we know we didn't do it and have the stones to tell them " ok aholes, we will let the league sort of out" and then file with the league for a false claim. Wouldn't get us anything extra, but would get to kick a little sand in BBs face.

That is what NE is counting on. We will be too scared to force the issue and cave in and just give them a pick or two. I hope we know we didn't do it and have the stones to tell them " ok aholes, we will let the league sort of out" and then file with the league for a false claim. Wouldn't get us anything extra, but would get to kick a little sand in BBs face.
You're assuming we didn't do it (tamper)? Seems likely to me that we did and are just hoping it can't be proved.

I'd negotiate the old way

hqdefault.jpg

Right. Remember what happened to the Colts when Peyton went down. Then again, the Pats did win 11 games with Matt Cassel. But once both Belichick and Brady are gone, it ain't gonna be the same around them parts. No one will ever live up to them, and they'll hear about it.

They'll turn into Cowboys fans.. except with the asshole yankee attitude.

You can't trade a draft pick for anything other than Coaches/Players/Picks tho right?

You can't trade a draft pick for anything other than Coaches/Players/Picks tho right?
“Except for head coaches and high-level club employees (club presidents, general managers, and persons with equivalent responsibility and authority), clubs are not permitted to exchange draft choices or cash for the release of individuals who are under contract to another organization,” the league’s anti-tampering policy states.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/02/teams-can-still-trade-for-head-coaches/

Meanwhile the Texans haven't read the rule book
Just out of curiosity, why do you make so many posts like this one? I mean how many times a day for I guess years do you take these one line unsubstantiated shots? What do they add? To be honest it just really seems to debase the conversations.

You're assuming we didn't do it (tamper)? Seems likely to me that we did and are just hoping it can't be proved.
Seems likely that two guys who know each other met at a private party at a private house they were both already invited to...and actually talked to each other. The only reason I think there "might" actually be enough to charge the Texans with tampering is that the bar is so ridiculously low.

That said, unless an offer was made (either directly, or as part of a hypothetical), it's still a hard case to prove. Simply discussing the fact that Gaine's firing was imminent wouldn't be tampering. Discussing we would soon be having an opening isn't tampering. Asking Caserio if he was open to leaving NE for a GM position (in General) wouldn't even be tampering. Asking if he'd be interested if we "did" have an opening is over the low NFL bar though.

So what will the Patriots’ case focus on? I’m told that the timing of the events above—Easterby and Caserio being together less than 24 hours before Gaine was fired, then the Texans putting in for Caserio almost immediately after moving on from Gaine—got their attention. Only adding to that was Caserio and Easterby seen talking with one another (which isn’t really unusual, but still …) at the Kraft’s house.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/13/carson-wentz-eagles-contract-extension-howie-roseman
Talking about a new job opportunity with Caserio in his present employers home makes no sense at all because if the two men wanted to communicate with each about a sensitive subject like employment with another organization, well they already have the perfect medium because the two men have same agent.

Been posted in one thread or another... but I don't think you can trade asst coaches. HC or above
That's my understanding of the tampering rules. The noob needs to provide evidence if he wants to call someone out as wrong.

Reactions: JB
Back