Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Saints, Saturday August 26, 2017!!

If Rick is nothing more than a delivery boy and had no intellectual capital than he needs to go.
So you're a fire the delivery boy because the chef can't cook person.

I mean the defensive chef has done just fine with the 'groceries' the delivery boy brought him.
or maybe our offensive "chef" doesn't know what 'ingredients' he really needs to make a top flight meal.
Look at the mess he made at QB
Let's review.... It took Kubiak one season to see that Carr flat wouldn't cut it and just one off-season to find Schaub. Two seasons later Schaub was throwing for 4000+ yds.
Now look at 'Chef' O'Brien: Four years, four different starting QBs.
Does that sound like someone with a solid plan to you?

But go ahead and bring in another GM.

looks like Ginn bamboozled the whole defense
lol

Not on Ramczyk bandwagon but those who were alert and in tune enough to know, this OL was desperately lacking NFL talent. Which makes turning a deaf ear to Brown all that more frustrating.

Really love game and upside Cunningham brings to LB position. Remember Texans traded up for McKinney just two drafts ago so Rick must feel this position (was) bigger need to fill than OL.

Having said that, Dion Dawkins would have been a more immediate, impactful need position selection. He can play OG but was projected RT by many. Now he has been asked to start @ LT for the Bills. Not because of LT holdout but injury.

Not that any of us could foresee Duane Browns holdout, but more his retirement and future replacement. Bookends of Dawkins and Davenport would have had a nice ring to it.

You think Lamm was that bad? I don't know what to think of him, he seems to be doing fine this off-season. But when the regular season starts he may very well struggle.

But last night, the interior was the bigger problem, or am I remembering wrong? Even Giacomini held his own last night.

So you're a fire the delivery boy because the chef can't cook person.

I mean the defensive chef has done just fine with the 'groceries' the delivery boy brought him.
or maybe our offensive "chef" doesn't know what 'ingredients' he really needs to make a top flight meal.
Look at the mess he made at QB
Let's review.... It took Kubiak one season to see that Carr flat wouldn't cut it and just one off-season to find Schaub. Two seasons later Schaub was throwing for 4000+ yds.
Now look at 'Chef' O'Brien: Four years, four different starting QBs.
Does that sound like someone with a solid plan to you?

But go ahead and bring in another GM.

looks like Ginn bamboozled the whole defense
lol

I am going to fire my head chef for acting like a delivery boy. OB is just the line cook.

I am going to fire my head chef for acting like a delivery boy. OB is just the line cook.

I'd like if we had a direct line like that. Either HC works for GM, or GM works for HC... instead they both report directly to McNair & far as I can tell, Rick is doing what Bob McNair wants. We've brought in a slew of QBs, two (Mallett, Osweiler) with more potential than they left with. Two (Savage, Watson) we're still trying to figure out what their potential is. & two (Fitzpatrick & Hoyer) that were what we thought they were.

O'b, imo, has to get at least avg QB play out of one of the two he has left.

I've now watched the game and I see nothing to panic over. NO was definitely out to win this game and used trick plays on O and a lot of blitzing/stunts on D. I saw pure vanilla from the Texans. I understand "play to win", but I found it pretty funny that NO had to use so much of it to blank the Texans. The Texans O will do just fine with actual game planning, I'm far less confident in the NO D. I see ICAK paying me for a trip to Austin this season. :D

I'd like if we had a direct line like that. Either HC works for GM, or GM works for HC... instead they both report directly to McNair & far as I can tell, Rick is doing what Bob McNair wants. We've brought in a slew of QBs, two (Mallett, Osweiler) with more potential than they left with. Two (Savage, Watson) we're still trying to figure out what their potential is. & two (Fitzpatrick & Hoyer) that were what we thought they were.

O'b, imo, has to get at least avg QB play out of one of the two he has left.

It's created no accountability and someone can always be the scape goat. If the GM is just an errand boy or rubber stamp you might as well just make the HC the GM.

I don't have time right now to go break down the throws, but I quickly watched the first 3 quarters of our offense. A few things stand out.

Our starting OL isn't as bad as a lot of you make them out to be. They are every bit of average.

The penalties KILL US. The kill drives, they stall out momentum and it needs to be cleaned up.

The backup OL group is pathetic. A few of them are ok, I will point them out Monday when I break down the tape.

Watson made some incredible plays, but he had 3 plays where you say wtf man. I think you expect those from rookies, he needs to learn to take the sack instead of throwing balls up like that. I think OB is pounding him to not run. He looked super uncomfortable on a few scrambles where he had room to run, but choose not to. I don't like that. They need to coach him better on running vs not running.

I think Savage and Watson are much closer than people on this board realize. They both do things well and not so well, but Watson most definitely has the higher ceiling. He will not improve without playing. I think you will see him within the first 3 weeks of game action. It wouldn't surprise me to see him week 1 or 2. There was no reason not to allow Savage to complete the first half last night. He needed those reps and needed the three minute drill under his belt. The only reason you do that is if you want to see your future guy out there because you think he is close.Obviously JMO

Also, the play where Watson got rocked on his backside for the sack, it happened to Savage as well just past the 13 minute mark in the second quarter. He had an open guy he threw it to, but the OL missed the defended coming off the edge and Savage took a hit. Watson just didn't have his WR open where he could throw it and he was looking the opposite side of the field. Savage was looking in the middle of the field and saw the blitzer. The OL needs to communicate better and maybe the Qbs both need to point that out better.

You think Lamm was that bad? I don't know what to think of him, he seems to be doing fine this off-season. But when the regular season starts he may very well struggle.

But last night, the interior was the bigger problem, or am I remembering wrong? Even Giacomini held his own last night.

Interior was equally bad. Total lack of cohesive teamwork, at least once O'Brian started inserting all different kinds of combinations. Seems strategy is to coach up talent, instead of paying or drafting better measureable talent. I'll be honest I didn't think Bolles was that impressive until I saw him in person, think that would have heavily influenced my own draft grade. At same time I realize Watson is most important piece to the puzzle going forward.

We had best hope what Texans have (OL) is coached much better come regular season or even a great defense won't matter!

Interior was equally bad. Total lack of cohesive teamwork, at least once O'Brian started inserting all different kinds of combinations.

We had best hope what Texans have (OL) is coached much better come regular season or even a great defense won't matter!

I thought it was odd to sub Mancz in so early. Kinda figured XSF did something that rubbed someone the wrong way.

I like Mancz & think he should be able to play guard, don't know why he looked so bad, right off. Then Fuller was in there before the half, which I thought was odd.

Does that mean we know who our starters will be & just wanted to see what the other guys can do? Or so we not have a clue who should be starting?

270 lbs vs 180 in the open field. That's what should happen. Clowney did his job on that play and turned it back inside. It's actually pretty impressive how quickly he was able to disengage and turn and run to beat Ginn to the outside and force him back in.

Too bad the other six DL and LBs all overran the play. The backside guys at least should be sitting there waiting for a cutback. Clowney may have gotten "juked" but he was the only one who was where he was supposed to be.

Pretty sure Clowney also chased the play all the way down and made the tackle.

270 lbs vs 180 in the open field. That's what should happen. Clowney did his job on that play and turned it back inside. It's actually pretty impressive how quickly he was able to disengage and turn and run to beat Ginn to the outside and force him back in.

Too bad the other six DL and LBs all overran the play. The backside guys at least should be sitting there waiting for a cutback. Clowney may have gotten "juked" but he was the only one who was where he was supposed to be.

Pretty sure Clowney also chased the play all the way down and made the tackle.
Clowney to his credit did chase down Ginn, but missed the tackle. Ginn ran right past Watt and Cushing. The actual tackle was finally made by McKinney.

Bullsnot. Delivered on draft status, while playing through the roof, pre-injury.

Wanted Matthews at the time.

When Cushing was the pick I wanted Ricky to trade back into the 1st rd like the Packers did for Matthews. With 2 LB's like that, this defense would've been dominant much earlier.

Not on Ramczyk bandwagon but those who were alert and in tune enough to know, this OL was desperately lacking NFL talent. Which makes turning a deaf ear to Brown all that more frustrating.

Really love game and upside Cunningham brings to LB position. Remember Texans traded up for McKinney just two drafts ago so Rick must feel this position (was) bigger need to fill than OL.

Having said that, Dion Dawkins would have been a more immediate, impactful need position selection. He can play OG but was projected RT by many. Now he has been asked to start @ LT for the Bills. Not because of LT holdout but injury.

Not that any of us could foresee Duane Browns holdout, but more his retirement and future replacement. Bookends of Dawkins and Davenport would have had a nice ring to it.

This is called planning/investing in the future.

Something that rarely has happened under RS. (Excluding KJo.)

Just remember, O'Brien got full control of the final 53 as part of his contract. Apparently, zone blocking OL guys weren't part of his grand plan. I just can't see how a screw up GM can only screw up one side of the ball. And then there's the little matter of some of our OLinemen being snapped up by other teams after our coaches let them walk.

Because Phillips/Crennel know what they are doing as DC is why we have a good defense.

Coaches are only responsible for the 53, not who makes the 53. Those guys are gone because of contracts, not coaches

Not like there's any news here. O'Brien sucks. We need an offensive coordinator with imagination and touch. Savage looked better than last week, but he's a slow motion QB. I swear every play took ages to get off. But--the good news--seems like his accuracy on most not long passes is pretty good. The offensive line is well-named. The D did not look frightening (to competitors). Watson looks like he's going to be good, eventually. Lots of advantages with him on broken plays. Accuracy improving some. This was the worst Texans game this off-season I think, though I don't really remember the other two. But this was really kind of terrible, beyond terrible, stinking up the joint, to put a point on it. I put it at O'Brien's feet. He's gotta coach better. Maybe he should retire? Injured reserve? Nevermind. We'll all watch them anyway and maybe they'll look OK sometimes. By mid-season it'll be Watson running things and that might help, just because he'll run around and sling the ball to people and . . . oh, never mind.
I think the team and coaches were put on the "did not report" list.

That's the thing. O'Brien and Smith are on equal ground. The "head chef" is Bob McNair.
Think about it.
Tell me what major personnel move Rick Smith has made. None is the answer. Every major HC/coordinator hire was done by Uncle Bob himself. O'Brien, Kubiak, Wade, (and I think RAC) were ALL hired by McNair, not Rick Smith.
Rick Smith cannot fire any of them either. Who fired Godsey? It wasn't Smith it was O'Brien (probably at the "prompting" of McNair)

And it's that way because that's the way Bob McNair wants it.

That's the thing. O'Brien and Smith are on equal ground. The "head chef" is Bob McNair.
Think about it.
Tell me what major personnel move Rick Smith has made. None is the answer. Every major HC/coordinator hire was done by Uncle Bob himself. O'Brien, Kubiak, Wade, (and I think RAC) were ALL hired by McNair, not Rick Smith.
Rick Smith cannot fire any of them either. Who fired Godsey? It wasn't Smith it was O'Brien (probably at the "prompting" of McNair)

And it's that way because that's the way Bob McNair wants it.

And why this team will never be a true contender.

Doesn't the owner of every team hire the major players in the staff? Every HC, every GM, every major coordinator that is not part of a regime change?

Yes. Little NFL trivia to reinforce that point, guaranteed money can't just be guaranteed on paper. It has to be guaranteed in actual cash put into an account. The guy with the checkbook about to escrow $30 mil is always part of the discussion.

Yes. Little NFL trivia to reinforce that point, guaranteed money can't just be guaranteed on paper. It has to be guaranteed in actual cash put into an account. The guy with the checkbook about to escrow $30 mil is always part of the discussion.
I always assumed player contracts are peanuts compared to what owners make from the team, and that is why there are salary caps, otherwise owners will just pay a ton of $ to keep the best players

is this not the case?

(not that this would invalidate your point, just asking out of curiosity)

Doesn't the owner of every team hire the major players in the staff? Every HC, every GM, every major coordinator that is not part of a regime change?
Smart owners surround themselves with football-experienced personnel and consultants that research these important decisions...........they don't usually flip coins or make their own ego-driven decisions based on emotions..........just because they are "boss" ................just because they can.

How to hire an NFL coach or GM: A view from the inside
By Conor Orr

And why this team will never be a true contender.
You are the one with season tickets and you sure like to beat your own team up, what's with masochistic mentality ?
If I was that constantly negative and critical of a team I'd look elsewhere for somebody else to tag along after and support. Get a life Carrie.

You are the one with season tickets and you sure like to beat your own team up, what's with masochistic mentality ?
If I was that constantly negative and critical of a team I'd look elsewhere for somebody else to tag along after and support. Get a life Carrie.

I lived in Atlanta for 20 years and had Falcon season tickets even knowing year in and year out the Falcons would disappoint. At a point you come to understand that the owner does not know or understand what it really takes to be a winning franchise. Owners who are consistently wallowing in mediocrity or worse are their own worst enemy and the consistency comes from them getting in their own way to often. I still enjoyed the games and getting to see great teams and great players that came to town.

Now if SteelB wants to buy tickets and complain about ownership and the Texans being a losing franchise it's his prerogative. At least he's putting his money where his mouth is. And if it upsets you because SteelB doesn't want to live his life the way you live yours, that's not a bad thing. It might be a better thing. Live and let live. To each his own.

Last edited:
Smart owners surround themselves with football-experienced personnel and consultants that research these important decisions...........they don't usually flip coins or make their own ego-driven decisions based on emotions..........just because they are "boss" ................just because they can.

How to hire an NFL coach or GM: A view from the inside
By Conor Orr

This article had me right up until it became about this is what Charlie Casserly would do. From my point of view this is not a difficult thing to do, you hire a General Manager or Head Coach who knows how to win more games than everyone else and then you get out of their way. The problem with most owners is they don't know how or they don't want to get out of the way. There is the rub and why GMs and HCs who have the proven track record will not work for these owners. These kind of owners are hazardous to their professional coaching career.

Last edited:
. From my point of view this is not a difficult thing to do, you hire a General Manager or Head Coach who knows how to win more games than everyone else and then you get out of their way.

How do you identify that individual? If it was so easy every owner would be doing it

How do you identify that individual? If it was so easy every owner would be doing it

Proven track record of knowing how to win more games than everyone else (see my sig). There is only handful of these guys around. In these cases it is not so much the owner who is making the decision. These few GMs and HCs are making their decisions on what owner they will and will not work for. In these cases these 5 Star HC and GMs have a list of demands for the owner to agree to, not vice a versa. Bob McNair is in the WILL NOT category. NFL Owners who fall into the WILL category today are Bob Kraft (Belichick), Paul Allen (Carroll), Clark Hunt (Reid), Pat Bowlen (Elway), Steve Biscotti (Newsome), Green Bay public Co. (Thompson).

Proven track record of knowing how to win more games than everyone else (see my sig). There is only handful of these guys around. In these cases it is not so much the owner who is making the decision. These few GMs and HCs are making their decisions on what owner they will and will not work for. In these cases these 5 Star HC and GMs have a list of demands for the owner to agree to, not vice a versa. Bob McNair is in the WILL NOT category. NFL Owners who fall into the WILL category today are Bob Kraft (Belichick), Paul Allen (Carroll), Clark Hunt (Reid), Pat Bowlen (Elway), Steve Biscotti (Newsome), Green Bay public Co. (Thompson).

Head Coach = #1 - Urban Meyer #2 - Jimbo Fisher #3 - Chris Peterson General Manager = #1 Peyton Manning #2 - Eliot Wolf

This must be why none of those guys has a job as NFL HC/GM

This must be why none of those guys has a job as NFL HC/GM
Probably, these guys would want full and complete control and an owner who is content to sit in his owner's box. Not a lot of those kind of owners. Full and complete control, attention to detail and preparation is why these guys are winning much more often than all of their competitors.

Last edited:
That sounds like "just get yourself an 'elite' QB".
Easy to say.
Very tough to do in practice.

HC's with "proven track records" already have good jobs and good relationships with their GMs and owners who don't intend to let them go. College guys, like the ones you show in your sig, are already set. None of them are going to leave their domains - where they are KINGS - for the headache that is NFL coaching.

The guys you call out as example owners aren't as "hands off" as you think. And their head coaches have earned the right not to be obviously meddled with. Do you really think O'Brien has earned hands off status with the way he's handled our QB situation?

That sounds like "just get yourself an 'elite' QB".
Easy to say.
Very tough to do in practice.

Yet guys like Meyer, Fisher, Peterson do it year in and year out

HC's with "proven track records" already have good jobs and good relationships with their GMs and owners who don't intend to let them go. College guys, like the ones you show in your sig, are already set. None of them are going to leave their domains - where they are KINGS - for the headache that is NFL coaching.

The guys you call out as example owners aren't as "hands off" as you think. And their head coaches have earned the right not to be obviously meddled with. Do you really think O'Brien has earned hands off status with the way he's handled our QB situation?

Very tough to do? Yet guys like Meyer, Fisher, Peterson do it year in and year out, with and without "elite" QBs. Some coaches just know how to win more football games than other coaches. That's a fact.

Never leaving? An assumption on your part only. Established winning NFL HCs and GMs won't leave, why would they? They already have an ideal job. As for college, most of these guys aspire to compete on the biggest stage (NFL). However they all have learned from Saban, Spurrier, Johnson, Carroll only cross that line with full and complete control. Without it, it's a suicide mission.

The guys I called out are more hands off than hands on when compared to other owners in the league. They pretty much stay in the background, give credit where credit is due, are NOT the first ones at the office every morning, riding in their golf carts at every practice, making player personnel decisions, standing on the sidelines most of the game, sitting on the front row in the NFL Draft Room with everyone else sitting behind him. Yeah the ones I called out pretty much let the person (singular) they hired do what he does best and pretty much stays out of their way (when compared to most of the other owners who have a record of average and ordinary).

First I don't put O'Brien in this class of college coaches, never have. Second O'Brien may think he's deserving of full and complete control but I sure don't. I'm not sure there has been a bigger critic of O'Brien's answers to Texans QBs and their performance than me. Not sure where your O'Brien comments are coming from?

Just to be clear, from the day that McNair hired O'Brien I was not an O'Brien fan and to this today I still am not.

Last edited:
Very tough to do? Yet guys like Meyer, Fisher, Peterson do it year in and year out, with and without "elite" QBs. Some coaches just know how to win more football games than other coaches. That's a fact.

Why do you keep propagating this stupidity? We had a long argument about it about a year ago. There is no such thing as "knowing how to win more games than the other guy." There's work ethic, X/O's knowledge, drive, passion for your craft, innovation, leadership, etc, etc, etc. All of those things put together may give you an edge over your opponents. But to say "this guy is successful because he knows how to win more games that the other guy" is just a massive oversimplification, something you're pretty good at.

Why do you keep propagating this stupidity? We had a long argument about it about a year ago. There is no such thing as "knowing how to win more games than the other guy." There's work ethic, X/O's knowledge, drive, passion for your craft, innovation, leadership, etc, etc, etc. All of those things put together may give you an edge over your opponents. But to say "this guy is successful because he knows how to win more games that the other guy" is just a massive oversimplification, something you're pretty good at.
Well I'm just going off of what Lou Holtz told me one day while we were riding in the back of a limousine. In his words, he credited his success wherever he went to his ability to know how to win more football games than the other guy. I believe him and he did. No offense but I'm going with Lou's stupidity on this one and I'm pretty sure the Urban, Jimbo and Chris would agree with Lou.

You said there is no such thing as "knowing how to win more games and in your very next sentence you list six reasons why there is such a thing and way to win more games. Go figure? The scoreboard also seems to disagree with you when you take in to consideration Meyer's, Fisher's and Peterson's winning percentage. They definitely know how to win more games than the other guy.

Well I'm just going off of what Lou Holtz told me one day while we were riding in the back of a limousine. In his words, he credited his success wherever he went to his ability to know how to win more football games than the other guy. I believe him and he did. No offense but I'm going with Lou's stupidity on this one and I'm pretty sure the Urban, Jimbo and Chris would agree with Lou.

Oh, now it's a limo ride with Lou? I thought it was a dinner? Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Lou's either full of sh!t or didn't want to tell his secrets. Like I told you last time, to say that someone is successful because they know how to win more games than the other guy is a useless tautology. Winning more games = success, so what you say basically boils down to "This guy is successful because he's successful".

Oh, now it's a limo ride with Lou? I thought it was a dinner? Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Lou's either full of sh!t or didn't want to tell his secrets. Like I told you last time, to say that someone is successful because they know how to win more games than the other guy is a useless tautology. Winning more games = success, so what you say basically boils down to "This guy is successful because he's successful".
I'm stupid, Lou's full of sheet and you are brilliant SOB. Got it.

Here's how the Lou happened.

The company hired Lou to speak at their convention in Las Vegas.

I offered to meet him at the airport, Lou said he would catch a cab and see me at the hotel.

When he arrived (about 10PM) I met him at the front door and walked him to the elevator. He asked if ate breakfast. I said I did would he like to have breakfast. He said 5AM. I said I would have a table reserved in the cafe for us. I was there at 4:50AM Lou showed up 5 minutes later.

Over breakfast Lou wanted info, background about the company, executives and other leaders he could work in to his speech.

At 7Am we left by Limo for convention center, Lou was also contracted to do one hour of photos and autographs.

At 8:15AM I escorted Lou to his dressing room, he wanted at least 30 min to prepare his speech.

At 9Am Lou speaks and does his magic tricks.

At 10:20AM Lou is finished and at 10:30AM I escort Lou back to the Limo he heads back to the airport.

maybe but Tom Landry and Bum Phillips sure looked good for several years.

And paycheck's point is they did it on a hell of a lot of knowledge, savvy and innovation not just "knowing how to win."
For me those things are part of knowing how to win. But getting more out of players is a bit different for me. Does knowing how to treat players to get best out of them fall under 'savvy'? I guess it could.

For me those things are part of knowing how to win. But getting more out of players is a bit different for me. Does knowing how to treat players to get best out of them fall under 'savvy'? I guess it could.

When Nick Saban walks in to a recruits home and sits down on the couch with Mama and knows exactly what to say to get the Top recruits and recruiting classes each and every year, that's knowing how to win. Meyer, Fisher and Peterson know how to do what Nick knows how to do, win.

When Nick Saban walks in to a recruits home and sits down on the couch with Mama and knows exactly what to say to get the Top recruits and recruiting classes each and every year, that's knowing how to win. Meyer, Fisher and Peterson know how to do what Nick knows how to do, win.
Exactly what I thought! The main part of knowing how to win in the NFL is making a good impression on the Mama's of 17 year old boys.

Well I'm just going off of what Lou Holtz told me one day while we were riding in the back of a limousine. .

I'll give you that Lou Holtz was a great coach and won a lot of games... in college! His one foray into the NFL was a disaster of such proportions that he quit just like Petrino did 31 years later. His knowing how to win in the NFL led to a .230 winning percentage. Being able to talk to mama don't equate to leading men.

I'll give you that Lou Holtz was a great coach and won a lot of games... in college! His one foray into the NFL was a disaster of such proportions that he quit just like Petrino did 31 years later. His knowing how to win in the NFL led to a .230 winning percentage. Being able to talk to mama don't equate to leading men.

I'll tell you what Lou told me about his year as Jets HC. Lou said after two weeks of Jets practice he knew that the NFL was not for him, said he hated it. It was a business and he was a teacher.

You're being disingenuous with the .230 winning percentage but you're smart enough to know that. First a new coach almost always inherits a terrible team and their year one is not much better. (Jimmy Johnson 1 -15 =.160 winning percentage) You're usually much better in your arguments.

Seems there are a lot more Mamas who disagree with you and HAVE entrusted their sons future to the Holtz and Sabans of this world. Pretty sure Alabama, Notre dame, 100s of families who would also disagree with you.

That reminds me of a story.

When he had a recruiting trip to Jonathan Allen's house he refused his mother's food saying "no thanks, I already ate". That spoke volumes to Allen because it showed him he's not a kissup and he's all about business. That was ultimately the reason he commited to us.

I'll tell you what Lou told me about his year as Jets HC. Lou said after two weeks of Jets practice he knew that the NFL was not for him, said he hated it. It was a business and he was a teacher.

This is my issue. I'm sure there are guys out there who know how to win more games than the other guy. I just don't think they're as readily available as you think. Nor do I believe that success in college means they will have success in the NFL.

Like Lou said, it's different.

Back