Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Saints, Saturday August 26, 2017!!

I think that people forget that prior to being hired by Kraft, Belichick had some really miserable years as the HC of the Browns (only 1 winning season out of 5). Despite that, after the Jets signed Belichick as HC only 1 day before, Kraft gave the Jets a 1st round pick to make Belichick the Patriots HC. Almost immediately, he was given GM privileges with final say on football matters. His first year there he went 5-11. The next year, Brady took the reigns..........and from there, it's history.

I think that people forget that prior to being hired by Kraft, Belichick had some really miserable years as the HC of the Browns (only 1 winning season out of 5). Despite that, after the Jets signed Belichick as HC only 1 day before, Kraft gave the Jets a 1st round pick to make Belichick the Patriots HC. Almost immediately, he was given GM privileges with final say on football matters. His first year there he went 5-11. The next year, Brady took the reigns..........and from there, it's history.
I don't necessarily think that rebuilding a 3-11 team is a simple task.
The 1990 Browns were next to last in points scored and dead last in points allowed.

Consider that:
The only guy on the Oline left was Tony Jones, the RT.
The C, Mike Babb, was 32, and lasted just one year (1991)
TE Newsome, was 35, and ended his career.
Kosar was inconsistent, 10TD - 15Ints in 1990
Mack, the FB, was 29

RCB Clayborn, was 36, and started one last game in 91
Clay Matthews was 35; he lasted a few more years, but definitely long past his prime.
LDE Baker was 35; he was replaced
SS Felix was 32; he was replaced
CB Minnifield was 31; he lasted a couple more years
Two more guys on the Dline and a LB were replaced
The FS, Gash, was a former 7th rounder and was replaced.

That's 11 starters being let go, and 6 more to be replaced in a year or two.

And the last year was a total wash due to the rumor of the move.

Honestly, I give BB the most credit with franchise infrastructure than in any other phase of coaching. His time in Cleveland let him realize that.

His greatest feat was "recoding" the entire organization to speak the "same" language. All scouts became meticulous and had a shared "ranking system" that was as exact as he could make it. He learned this from his father Steve Belichick and Tom Dimitroff, the Falcons GM's father and long time scout and friend. To implement such a wide scaled "ranking" system where each scout was trained in "your language" was fairly new to the league surprisingly enough.

He did the same thing with the playbook and was a predecessor to Chip and the placard cards. He realized that the language of the play call was too difficult for some players in his scheme. He reclassified the play calls where his route trees and stems never change depending on a single word. Zapper may mean Corner/Fly combo. Rover may be Stick/Arrow...etc etc.

By implementing improved language he improved the whole organization. Communication was the guiding factor.
Yes, the BB who loathes the media is a wonderful communicator of information.

This is where BOb needs to show growth and where I believe he HAS shown growth while the coach of the Texans. Communication is the greatest tool a leader has. Lots of leaders today need to hear that, but that's a Soap Box for another day.

That's my point. All owners are in on major decisions; first round picks, big money extensions, whether the HC can sign someone with issues (see Kaepernick).
Bottom line: There's no such thing as a "totally hands off" owner. It's just a matter of how often he decides to overrule his "football people" like Rooney did.
There you go again putting words in my mouth. I don't think I ever said there was such a thing as a totally hands off owner. Those are your words not mine. What I did say is there are owners who are much more hands off than the average and ordinary mediocre owners whose winning percentage is .500 or below. I also said these mostly hands off owners consistent winning success comes from staying out the way and letting the person that they hired to do what that person does best. Now does that owner want an update on what's going on? Sure he does. Will he from time to time make or override a decision? Sure he does. Does he do it as often as Jerah or Bob. Not even close.

We will never know because he ain't gonna get the chance.

Do you know Belichick's history before becoming HC of the Patriots?

Compare his resume to Billy's. One learned from the best (until he became the best) the other learned from George O'Leary. One was forged in the NFL. The other was just another college assistant.

Compare his resume to Billy's. One learned from the best (until he became the best) the other learned from George O'Leary. One was forged in the NFL. The other was just another college assistant.

So the time Billy spent with the "best" doesn't count?

:coffee:

Kraft said one of the primary reasons he wanted Belichick is because Bill had an Economics degree. Kraft said he knew that Belichick would be able to understand and grasp the business and financial part of the franchise and not just the X and Os.

Kraft said one of the primary reasons he wanted Belichick is because Bill had an Economics degree. Kraft said he knew that Belichick would be able to understand and grasp the business and financial part of the franchise and not just the X and Os.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Smith played as a freshman at Purdue but redshirted his sophomore year. It was an unusual situation and one he admits to not handling especially well.

That year Smith tried to coast, thinking even if he didn't pass or complete all of his classes, he would get by. Unfortunately for him, Purdue installed a new rule that year, requiring students to have enough credits to be on pace to graduate.

He took an incomplete in a class, became academically ineligible, and had to leave Purdue for the first semester of his junior year. He spent a semester at a junior college, rudely awoken and vowing never to let something like that happen again.

"It was all because I was hanging out," Smith said. "It wasn't because it was academically challenging. I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing."

During that time, Franklin Smith offered these words of wisdom to his son: Mistakes don't define a person; responses to mistakes do.

"He was very much aware that I was disappointed," Franklin Smith said. "He said to me, 'This is the last time that I will fail you,' or something to that effect. He said, 'I didn't do everything that I was supposed to do, but I will come back, and I will be better, and I will be stronger than I was before.' My thought was, 'Those are words. You've got to prove it.' "

Purdue changed coaches while Rick Smith was away, and he had to talk new coach Jim Colletto into giving him a second chance. He got one. He said he never got less than a B in a class after that and became a team captain for Colletto his senior year.

"The lesson I learned in that was to take care of my business and to make sure I did everything I was responsible for doing," Smith said.

He learned just enough wasn't enough. LINK
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Bill O'Brien at Brown University earned a bachelor of arts, double major in political science and organizational behavior management. He then went on to earn a master's degree in public policy. As of 2012, he was halfway through a master’s in public policy that dated back to his Georgia Tech days as a graduate assistant.

I have searched extensively for the specific degree that Smith earned in college. Strangely enough, in all of his references, so far no luck anywhere. Only allusions to the fact that he attended college. Just curious, can anyone find this info?

So you dont think BOB learned from BB?

My statement stands, we will never know.

What we do know is the current structure isn't working, so I want them all gone and I think BOB is a good HC. # Sacrificed for the greater good.

Why would he let an inexperienced HC that type of power without showing he's worthy first?

This is why I wanted them to hire an experienced HC.

The reason why is because Ricky isn't very good at his job and BOB understands how the Pats go about their business. I want the Texans to go about their business like the Pats do.

While we're talking about this, What has Ricky accomplished to show he's worthy of that kind of power? Truth is they both should be gone and an experienced winner needs to be brought in to run this franchise.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Smith played as a freshman at Purdue but redshirted his sophomore year. It was an unusual situation and one he admits to not handling especially well.

That year Smith tried to coast, thinking even if he didn't pass or complete all of his classes, he would get by. Unfortunately for him, Purdue installed a new rule that year, requiring students to have enough credits to be on pace to graduate.

He took an incomplete in a class, became academically ineligible, and had to leave Purdue for the first semester of his junior year. He spent a semester at a junior college, rudely awoken and vowing never to let something like that happen again.

"It was all because I was hanging out," Smith said. "It wasn't because it was academically challenging. I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing."

During that time, Franklin Smith offered these words of wisdom to his son: Mistakes don't define a person; responses to mistakes do.

"He was very much aware that I was disappointed," Franklin Smith said. "He said to me, 'This is the last time that I will fail you,' or something to that effect. He said, 'I didn't do everything that I was supposed to do, but I will come back, and I will be better, and I will be stronger than I was before.' My thought was, 'Those are words. You've got to prove it.' "

Purdue changed coaches while Rick Smith was away, and he had to talk new coach Jim Colletto into giving him a second chance. He got one. He said he never got less than a B in a class after that and became a team captain for Colletto his senior year.

"The lesson I learned in that was to take care of my business and to make sure I did everything I was responsible for doing," Smith said.

He learned just enough wasn't enough. LINK
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Bill O'Brien at Brown University earned a bachelor of arts, double major in political science and organizational behavior management. He then went on to earn a master's degree in public policy. As of 2012, he was halfway through a master’s in public policy that dated back to his Georgia Tech days as a graduate assistant.

I have searched extensively for the specific degree that Smith earned in college. Strangely enough, in all of his references, so far no luck anywhere. Only allusions to the fact that he attended college. Just curious, can anyone find this info?

This tells us all we need to know, who would you rather be making football decisions? BTW, I looked too and I cant find what Ricky's degree is in, if he even has one.

If somebody can find out what degree he has please post that info.

Thanks

This is why I wanted them to hire an experienced HC.

The reason why is because Ricky isn't very good at his job and BOB understands how the Pats go about their business. I want the Texans to go about their business like the Pats do.

While we're talking about this, What has Ricky accomplished to show he's worthy of that kind of power? Truth is they both should be gone and an experienced winner needs to be brought in to run this franchise.

I wanted them to hire an experienced head coach as well. I was like WTF when they hired Bill O'Brien.

Last edited:
There you go again putting words in my mouth. I don't think I ever said there was such a thing as a totally hands off owner. Those are your words not mine. What I did say is there are owners who are much more hands off than the average and ordinary mediocre owners whose winning percentage is .500 or below. I also said these mostly hands off owners consistent winning success comes from staying out the way and letting the person that they hired to do what that person does best. Now does that owner want an update on what's going on? Sure he does. Will he from time to time make or override a decision? Sure he does. Does he do it as often as Jerah or Bob. Not even close.

I wonder if Randy Moss was a Belichick acquisition. One thing about Belichick guys, they're without a doubt team players where Moss wad a "me" player. Sure, he assimilated well when he was there. But he was never a team guy, I don't think.

Ocho Cinco was another guy that really didn't fit in. Doesn't seem like a Belichick acquisition & he never fit in.

I wonder if Randy Moss was a Belichick acquisition. One thing about Belichick guys, they're without a doubt team players where Moss wad a "me" player. Sure, he assimilated well when he was there. But he was never a team guy, I don't think.

Ocho Cinco was another guy that really didn't fit in. Doesn't seem like a Belichick acquisition & he never fit in.

BB gets the most talented players and if they don't fit in he cuts them

Who said Rick has that kind of power? He doesn't. Rick has his piece, Billy has his piece, then Bob has his.

Randy loves Belichcik and nothing but good things to say about him and Belichick has high praise for Randy.

Must've not been any hard feelings afterward because Moss came out to Texans camp last year to talk to and work with the receivers. He was personally invited by OB.
Agreed. Just having fun w/ another one of BoB's episodes with one of his players -- I'm sure Randy had it coming. I don't think he was as bad as the media made him out to be (while he was playing) but on occasion he would get selfish and it seems to me that the BoB incident was the last straw and NE was the type of team that wasn't going to put up with it.

A little off the subject, but NE traded Randy 2 days after their Monday night game where there was a blowup between him and Bill O'Brien during half time.
Randy wanted to be paid, Coach said heck no. So Randy had to take his frustration out on somebody and it was Bill O'Brien.

I was trying to keep things realistic. :)

Hope you and yours are doing well after the storm in PA.

Luckily enough, most everyone made it through in good shape. My mom got water in her house, so did my sister-in-law. But, no one was stranded or in need of rescue, no one got hurt.... all's good.

& I moved to Spring two weeks before the storm.

Last edited:
Luckily enough, most everyone made it through in good shape. My mom got water in her house, so did my sister-in-law. But, no was stranded or in need of rescue, no one got hurt.... all's good.

Good to hear that all is well. The home my parents lived in Groves, near Memorial High, had 4 in of water in it, and it is on piers. My nephew owns it now.
Never though that place would flood.

Luckily enough, most everyone made it through in good shape. My mom got water in her house, so did my sister-in-law. But, no was stranded or in need of rescue, no one got hurt.... all's good.

Wow. I can't imagine what I would do if I had to go through that. Thankfully they got out ok.

The home my where parents had lived in Groves, near Memorial High, had 4 in of water in it, and it is on piers. My nephew owns it now.

Aren't you the one who tried to pass off a tinfoil hat scenario off of just this picture?
91a0dead5df494f4af4419d7dd20db91.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

First look at this picture you see Rick still caught up in the moment and OB is updating his facebook status to "Just drafted Watson with my BFF!" Seriously it looks like OB is looking at his phone.

But the guy to the left in the jacket has his hand over his mouth like "OMG what did we just do?"

The same here, I had a few family members and co workers house got water in them. They were able to get out safely.
The street I live on didn't flood at all. But 1960 was flooded so my wife and kids were stuck at home.

Man you're right down the street from me. I live in Humble.

Wow. I can't imagine what I would do if I had to go through that. Thankfully they got out ok.

The home my where parents had lived in Groves, near Memorial High, had 4 in of water in it, and it is on piers. My nephew owns it now.

A lot of places I thought wouldn't flood were 4-6 inches under water.

If Brady and Bilichek followed Manning into retirement, would this MB have drastic reduction in posts?

Aren't you the one who tried to pass off a tinfoil hat scenario off of just this picture?
91a0dead5df494f4af4419d7dd20db91.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ricky is the only one in that pic that seems to be happy.

Shock with a touch of disbelief seems to be the theme in the room. IMHO

Ricky is the only one in that pic that seems to be happy.

Shock with a touch of disbelief seems to be the theme in the room. IMHO

I interpret as Ricky is estactic about knowing what is coming, OB is either dialing Watson or getting a text and everyone else is either looking for the announcement or working on the next pick.

A picture is worth a thousand words but only if you can read the language...

J/S that you read into it what you want it to say

I interpret as Ricky is estactic about knowing what is coming, OB is either dialing Watson or getting a text and everyone else is either looking for the announcement or working on the next pick.

A picture is worth a thousand words but only if you can read the language...

J/S that you read into it what you want it to say

Yep, all of those guys on the left by Ricky are deeply thinking about the next pick. The only person that is looking thrilled in that pic is Ricky.

Denial is a wonderful thing. I wish I could be as content as you are after looking at that pic. Looks like a house divided to me. A theme that started before the season ended and continued into the offseason. I imagine it will continue into this season and I dont see things ending well, even if the Texans do well this season.

Yep, all of those guys on the left by Ricky are deeply thinking about the next pick. The only person that is looking thrilled in that pic is Ricky.

Denial is a wonderful thing. I wish I could be as content as you are after looking at that pic. Looks like a house divided to me. A theme that started before the season ended and continued into the offseason. I imagine it will continue into this season and I dont see things ending well, even if the Texans do well this season.

It is amazing how much you can read into a photo which captures a split-second frozen in time. I wonder what the picture looked like in the second before or after that moment and if it would support the rampant speculation going on here?

It is amazing how much you can read into a photo which captures a split-second frozen in time. I wonder what the picture looked like in the second before or after that moment and if it would support the rampant speculation going on here?

It is what it is.

You believe everybody in that pic was thrilled with the pic?

This isn't the 1st pic of the Texans warroom that has looked like this. I've been saying that there's been dissention in the Texans org for the last yr. Now pics come out that appear to confirm this and this is the best response the sunshiners can come up with. BTW this still doesn't mean the Texans cant have a successful season, or even if they do things wont end badly.

Rah Rah.

I want to play too!

320x180.jpg

These three cant even look at each other! Is Bill O'Brien sliding a finger across his throat??? McNair has to sit between them just to keep RS and BOB from killing each other...no wonder this team is so dysfunctional!

rawImage.jpg

...and just look at Bill O'Briens face! Its painfully obvious that he thinks Rick Smith is an idot!

Last edited:
It is what it is.

This isn't the 1st pic of the Texans warroom that has looked like this. I've been saying that there's been dissention in the Texans org for the last yr. Now pics come out that appear to confirm this and this is the best response the sunshiners can come up with. BTW this still doesn't mean the Texans cant have a successful season, or even if they do things wont end badly.

Rah Rah.

Not going to say I know without a doubt what the mindset is of the room based solely on a picture, but I agree it doesn't appear that anyone else is thrilled.

It is what it is.

Rah Rah.

I too believe there is dissension amongst the ranks. However, I know which side the bread is buttered. Bob McNair is the boss, Rick is in lock step. Billy seems like he wants to be doing McNair's job though he's yet to prove capable of fielding an NFL offense.

Sure, Rick ain't making it easy... he got Billy the QB he wanted, Brian Hoyer. He gave him a DeAndre Hopkins... drafted a WR he wanted (Fuller), gave him the RBs he wanted (Chris Polk Lamar Miller)... got him a 2nd round guard, a 2nd round Center, no reason for me not to believe if Billy asked for something Rick would try to get it.

No doubt in my mind if we had Josh McDaniels, Andy Ried, Mike McCoy, even Norv Turner, our offense would at least look like an NFL offense the last three years. But... Billy wants Bob's job.

Back