Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

I see Holiday making the team as a return man but not as a WR. His running as a WR is not too great right now but that might change. He's also really small. His speed his too much just to throw away though which is why I think he'll be PT at this poing. I am glad to see there is now some deapth in the backfield. I think there will be an overall improvement on both the O line and D line due to Mitchel and Shep the two young DT's. I don't see Fred Bennet making the team at this time too many other CB's really working hard and producing IMO. I see Amobi having less snaps this season or possibly not making the team but I'd take the lader on that. We are loaded down with great TE's I'll say that.

This news about Earl Mitchell really has me pumped. Watch out Amobi.

Amobi was not impressive today. Not noticeably terrible, but not impressive.

Mitchell really does look like the real deal, though. That is one rookie who is ready to blast some MFers in the face, man. Plays with attitude, motor, quickness... I gotta say I'm excited.

Mitchell really does look like the real deal, though. That is one rookie who is ready to blast some MFers in the face, man. Plays with attitude, motor, quickness... I gotta say I'm excited.
I am too.

Amazing news! :shades:

How has Dorin Dickerson progressed so far? I remember back in OTAs, he was suppose to be on a Kubiak diet to lose some weight, to fit into the WR positiion better. Any progress?

How has Dorin Dickerson progressed so far? I remember back in OTAs, he was suppose to be on a Kubiak diet to lose some weight, to fit into the WR positiion better. Any progress?

Not sure on the weight, and I didn't see a lot of his reps today, but he absolutely turned Fred Bennett inside out on a deep route at some point (but that was during 1 on 1 drills, so I wouldn't read much into it). Of course, uh, everyone was making Fred look silly out there, sadly.

Also made a nice grab on a quick out route in 11 on 11s. Ball was slightly overthrown and he snatched it out of the air.

Thanks for the updates guys. Early yes, but if reports hold true Mitchell may be a steal. Have been mostly a lurker lately because I'm working hard on my biz, but just wanted to say the updates are appreciated.

As far as deaths in the backfield, if Slaton keeps dropping the rock, then Gary might be close in his description. :strangle:

I think you can find some of Mitchell's footage from North Shore on rivals ( Dickerson's to as a RB ) . Mitchell was a 6'2 260 lb TE driving guys 10 yards off the line . Players like that knlow only one way to play .

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Earl-Mitchell-Houston--13794

My impressions from today's reports:

- I am further convinced that Okoye will be gone by 2012. The first reason is his back injury, and the second is Earl Mitchell. These things matter because this is the year he needs to prove himself. Also, over the years, how many times have you heard people say "Okoye really impressed me today!"? That's all I keep hearing about Mitchell.

- I think Brice McCain has the speed and instincts to be this team's ballhawk. He's still the only current CB to have intercepted Peyton Manning.

- I'm still worried about Kareem Jackson's learning curve. If he's not up to speed by the Colt's game, McCain or Molden might have to fill in.

To the credit of Kareem he has been defending AJ so it might take him awhile to get his feet under him. I'll wait to see how he does in a game before I rush to jugement on him.

- I am further convinced that Okoye will be gone by 2012. The first reason is his back injury, and the second is Earl Mitchell. These things matter because this is the year he needs to prove himself. Also, over the years, how many times have you heard people say "Okoye really impressed me today!"? That's all I keep hearing about Mitchell.

- I think Brice McCain has the speed and instincts to be this team's ballhawk. He's still the only current CB to have intercepted Peyton Manning.

- I'm still worried about Kareem Jackson's learning curve. If he's not up to speed by the Colt's game, McCain or Molden might have to fill in.

I have heard that Okoye has some serious guns on him this year, and that he has reported to camp lean and chiseled. I think it's unlikely he would be cut although cannot rule it out, but relagated to a lesser role? Perhaps. This is a big year for him.

McCain is too small to be anything more than a nickel or dime player imo, but if he has good ball skills that's not anything to cry over.

It's too early for anyone to form a real opinion on Jackson, but I think it's a real plus that he is going against Andre every day in camp. That can only help the youngster when he goes up against mere mortals when the games count.

First off, don't read to much into the veterans and the mentions by us guys giving reports from the sidelines. I know in my case I am mainly watching for the new guys.

Plus the vets know how to pace themselves for the season, week one of training camp is not the time to kill yourself, the time to do that is Week 1 against the Colts.

Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

As for the rookies, they have there heads swimming with all the info being thrown at them. Plus they are going against guys who know there way around the field. Give them time.

And if Molden is starting week 1, it's because he earned it.

First off, don't read to much into the veterans and the mentions by us guys giving reports from the sidelines. I know in my case I am mainly watching for the new guys.

Plus the vets know how to pace themselves for the season, week one of training camp is not the time to kill yourself, the time to do that is Week 1 against the Colts.

Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

As for the rookies, they have there heads swimming with all the info being thrown at them. Plus they are going against guys who know there way around the field. Give them time.

And if Molden is starting week 1, it's because he earned it.
This.

McClains twitter:

# A lot if coaches like fights in camp but not Gary Kubiak.#Texans 2 minutes ago via txt

# Amici okoye shoved myers. Eric Winston went after okoye. I luv fights in camp with pads.#Texans 3 minutes ago via txt

# Ben Tate blew thru middle. Bernard pollard tried to strip ball. Chris myers pushed pollard. #Texans 4 minutes ago via txt

# Rookie wr trindon holliday is riding bike, which means he has a pull. I think they will sign a new receiver.#Texans

http://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl

McClains twitter:

# A lot if coaches like fights in camp but not Gary Kubiak.#Texans 2 minutes ago via txt

# Amici okoye shoved myers. Eric Winston went after okoye. I luv fights in camp with pads.#Texans 3 minutes ago via txt

# Ben Tate blew thru middle. Bernard pollard tried to strip ball. Chris myers pushed pollard. #Texans 4 minutes ago via txt

# Rookie wr trindon holliday is riding bike, which means he has a pull. I think they will sign a new receiver.#Texans

Thanks for the Twitter updates. I can't see Twitter at work, damn internet filters!

I like to see the fire of the competitions. That speaks volumes about where this team is at to me. People are having to actually stand out to get a shot at making this team and that's a far cry from where we would field just about anyone. I'm happy to see the intensity, as long as nobody gets injured. I think this is going to be the best camp yet.

So is Trindon Holliday really that hurt?

I think he may just have tweaked something. Probably just precautionary, IMO. They were talking about him on the radio a minute ago and they seem to be pretty worried about him, more in the context of being able to get hit from these big guys and also being able to hold on to the ball after he gets leveled. I think he'll be OK. You can't hit what you can't catch.

I think he may just have tweaked something. Probably just precautionary, IMO. They were talking about him on the radio a minute ago and they seem to be pretty worried about him, more in the context of being able to get hit from these big guys and also being able to hold on to the ball after he gets leveled. I think he'll be OK. You can't hit what you can't catch.

As per Nick Scurfield, it seems that he pulled a hamstring. Something else he mentioned which I had not heard before but does not surprise me is that Chris Myers is still being hampered by the high ankle sprain for which he missed part of the 2009 preseason (and which evidently bothered him throughout the 2009 regular season).

McClains twitter:

McClain needs to lose some pounds. His stubby fingers are causing him to text like a teenaged girl.

Was out at practice today; Some things I saw:

Schaub missed on quite a few passes early...Not too worried though

Orvlosky and Booty...Can't really tell who's better at this point but Orvlosky pissed me off not getting the ball out of his hands. It's like he didn't know where to go with the ball and on several occasions he pulled it down and ran. I'd like to see him throw it a lot more than he did. Even in passing drills where there were just LBs and DBs on the field he was pulling it down and running. I'm not big on criticising back-up QBs but just from today it looks like there will be a battle there...sadly

Amobi looked gassed towards the end. Earl Mitchell looked good, Sheppard looked good. #99 (don't know who he is) looked pretty good as well. Tall athletic guy.

Kareem Jackson was burnt by more than just AJ. Dorin Dickerson burnt him once deep but just failed to hold onto the ball. Kareem also looked poor on one redzone play where AJ did a short curl and just caught the ball in front of him. I was talking to a few people around me and just as I was saying, "damn Kareem..make a play on the ball"...BP ran up to him slapped him on the helmet and let him know he wasn't pleased with the effort. JJ also roasted him deep one time but they didn't throw him the ball. Kareem knew that he messed up..Clapped his hands together in displeasure with himself.. Again, this is just practice so you can't tell too much, but right now Kareem looks like he's destined to be roasted come game 1. He needs to improve a lot, but that is to be expected from a rookie I guess.

All of the RB's looked pretty good. Tate broke several long runs..Showed good vision and good quickness. Slate looked good slicing through a couple of times for good yardage...Foster looked good as well..IMO, Tate was the most impressive today...Ran with good speed and looked very physical.

BP and Winston got into a shoving match which turned into a fight. Not a big deal, it was over pretty quickly.

Linemen drills were interesting. Neither side looked liked they dominated the other but there were some good battles. Earl Mitchell looks like a little tank missile...Cody had a nice spin move during the session which would have been a sack in a game. Frank Okam is not a dominating presence out there, but he didn't look as bad to me as some reports that I'd heard. Jessie Nadeing had a nice move on Eric Winston which left Winston standing flat footed looking lost...

Brian Cushing was everywhere during team drills...Would have made several tackles if it were a game.

JJ looked nice, He looks like a veteran reciever out there...James Casey looked solid...Didn't really notice any of the other TE's much...

I was not looking for individual players (beside Orvlosky per Mojo's request), but more so just looking at the practice as a whole and noticing things that stood out. I saw gary out there, but didn't get a chance to speak to him...Looked like he was on his way out..

Might remember more later, but that's all I got for now...

Orvlosky and Booty...Can't really tell who's better at this point but Orvlosky pissed me off not getting the ball out of his hands. It's like he didn't know where to go with the ball and on several occasions he pulled it down and ran. I'd like to see him throw it a lot more than he did. Even in passing drills where there were just LBs and DBs on the field he was pulling it down and running. I'm not big on criticising back-up QBs but just from today it looks like there will be a battle there...sadly

Amobi looked gassed towards the end. Earl Mitchell looked good, Sheppard looked good. #99 (don't know who he is) looked pretty good as well. Tall athletic guy.

Kareem Jackson was burnt by more than just AJ. Dorin Dickerson burnt him once deep but just failed to hold onto the ball. Kareem also looked poor on one redzone play where AJ did a short curl and just caught the ball in front of him. I was talking to a few people around me and just as I was saying, "damn Kareem..make a play on the ball"...BP ran up to him slapped him on the helmet and let him know he wasn't pleased with the effort. JJ also roasted him deep one time but they didn't throw him the ball. Kareem knew that he messed up..Clapped his hands together in displeasure with himself.. Again, this is just practice so you can't tell too much, but right now Kareem looks like he's destined to be roasted come game 1. He needs to improve a lot, but that is to be expected from a rookie I guess.

All of the RB's looked pretty good. Tate broke several long runs..Showed good vision and good quickness. Slate looked good slicing through a couple of times for good yardage...Foster looked good as well..IMO, Tate was the most impressive today...Ran with good speed and looked very physical.

BP and Winston got into a shoving match which turned into a fight. Not a big deal, it was over pretty quickly.

Linemen drills were interesting. Neither side looked liked they dominated the other but there were some good battles. Earl Mitchell looks like a little tank missile...Cody had a nice spin move during the session which would have been a sack in a game. Frank Okam is not a dominating presence out there, but he didn't look as bad to me as some reports that I'd heard. Jessie Nadeing had a nice move on Eric Winston which left Winston standing flat footed looking lost...

Brian Cushing was everywhere during team drills...Would have made several tackles if it were a game.

JJ looked nice, He looks like a veteran reciever out there...James Casey looked solid...Didn't really notice any of the other TE's much...

I was not looking for individual players (beside Orvlosky per Mojo's request), but more so just looking at the practice as a whole and noticing things that stood out. I saw gary out there, but didn't get a chance to speak to him...Looked like he was on his way out..

Thanks for recaping what you saw! BTW, who is BP? As for #99, that is left DE Pannel Egboh http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9760

Something else he mentioned which I had not heard before but does not surprise me is that Chris Myers is still being hampered by the high ankle sprain for which he missed part of the 2009 preseason (and which evidently bothered him throughout the 2009 regular season).

Wait. What?

I don't recall Chris missing any games last year. I mean, there may have been a few snaps but I don't recall him not starting a game.

Thanks for the report, and especially for the comments on Dan Orlovsky. It sounds like he has some rough edges that need to be sanded off. Hopefully that work can be completed before the Texans play the Colts in their opening game.

Winston Pollard scrum
salttrainingcamp10023.jpg

Flying Donkey > Pigeon > Winston > Pollard

It's the food chain. You can't get around it.

Some camp comments, some general news reporting in the chronic 8-2-10. And by general... don't mean McClain.

Right guard Antoine Caldwell stood in anticipation as others beside him struggled to catch their breath.

The Texans' offensive linemen were taking on their defensive counterparts in tiring head-to-head battles. Some of the rookie blockers struggled to stave off pass rushers, but when Caldwell's name was called, he put on his helmet and jumped into his stance.

On the first repetition, veteran defensive end Tim Bulman tried to go through Caldwell, but he barely went anywhere. On the next try, Bulman made an attempt to go around him, but this time Caldwell used his leverage to neutralize the defensive end.

Kubiak quotes from yesterday afternoon's and this morning's practice is up. On our blog, we will be running a regular feature covering his press conferences and quotes. Here's an early taste of it:

http://texansbullblog.com

As an obsessed Texan fan, I have spent my time in absurd ways. For instance, I am almost always glued to houstontexans.com video page at 3:30 pm on Monday afternoons after Texan games. Why? you ask… Well, that is the Kubiak press conference. I have studied his finger-tapping and other mannerisms, as well as the tone and confidence by which he answers questions to the point that I believe I have special insight into what is going UN-SAID. To that end, during the season, I will post the hidden meaning behind his press conference answers and announcements.

Before the season starts, just to build my credibility with you skeptics, I am going to exercise my Third Eye by reading the tea leaves left behind from Kubiak’s post-practice quotes. So, here it is! Remember, your eyes can deceive you… nothing is as it seems!

Kubiak’s quotes will be in black and his secret thoughts will be in red italics. From August 1 and 2:

(on WR Trindon Holliday’s progression in learning the wide receiver position) “He’s struggling at that position (wide receiver) and he’s excelling as a returner and we knew that. So, we got to have some patience here and be willing to get him those reps and see how far he comes from that standpoint. In the NFL you suit 45 (players) and you got go do other things. We got to get him better at that spot as a receiver. He really worked as a running back at LSU more than anything. So, it’s a whole new world for him and we knew we were in for that. He’s working hard at it.”

I’m dreading this decision! He’s going to be worthless as a WR this year but he’s so freakin’ good returning the ball… man, I don’t know what to do. And, I want Jacoby to focus on WR… but, I’m already going to be carrying a ton of TEs… How the heck can I make this work?

(on the offseason of WR Jacoby Jones) “He’s been accountable and consistent. When he follows that guideline (WR) Jacoby (Jones) career is going to take off.”

He’s so talented and such a playmaker! I’m encouraged by his attitude and work ethic lately but I still don’t trust him any farther than I can throw him.

Kubiak quotes from yesterday afternoon's and this morning's practice is up. On our blog, we will be running a regular feature covering his press conferences and quotes. Here's an early taste of it:

http://texansbullblog.com

As an obsessed Texan fan, I have spent my time in absurd ways. For instance, I am almost always glued to houstontexans.com video page at 3:30 pm on Monday afternoons after Texan games. Why? you ask… Well, that is the Kubiak press conference. I have studied his finger-tapping and other mannerisms, as well as the tone and confidence by which he answers questions to the point that I believe I have special insight into what is going UN-SAID. To that end, during the season, I will post the hidden meaning behind his press conference answers and announcements.

Before the season starts, just to build my credibility with you skeptics, I am going to exercise my Third Eye by reading the tea leaves left behind from Kubiak’s post-practice quotes. So, here it is! Remember, your eyes can deceive you… nothing is as it seems!

Kubiak’s quotes will be in black and his secret thoughts will be in red italics. From August 1 and 2:

(on WR Trindon Holliday’s progression in learning the wide receiver position) “He’s struggling at that position (wide receiver) and he’s excelling as a returner and we knew that. So, we got to have some patience here and be willing to get him those reps and see how far he comes from that standpoint. In the NFL you suit 45 (players) and you got go do other things. We got to get him better at that spot as a receiver. He really worked as a running back at LSU more than anything. So, it’s a whole new world for him and we knew we were in for that. He’s working hard at it.”

I’m dreading this decision! He’s going to be worthless as a WR this year but he’s so freakin’ good returning the ball… man, I don’t know what to do. And, I want Jacoby to focus on WR… but, I’m already going to be carrying a ton of TEs… How the heck can I make this work?

(on the offseason of WR Jacoby Jones) “He’s been accountable and consistent. When he follows that guideline (WR) Jacoby (Jones) career is going to take off.”

He’s so talented and such a playmaker! I’m encouraged by his attitude and work ethic lately but I still don’t trust him any farther than I can throw him.

Kubs is that you?? Really is that you???

Shoulders, head, and neck. This is clear to me and I am not trying to cause a stir here but it's a clear observation both mom and me have made.

I don't know, he's still a big dude. Anyone know what he weighed in at camp this year vs what he was weighing last year? That's going to be more of an identifier than just sight.

After being away on vacation over the weekend, I was able to get out there this morning. It was nice to see them in full pads. I agree with mose have said, but I'll throw a few quick hits.

- Once I saw The Mitch I thought he looked like a sawed-off stump of a redwood. Then I saw him in action and was kinda awestruck at how quick his first move was. There were a couple plays where he was half way through the gap before the lineman could put his hands on him. I thought "ok, so the dude's quick". On his next rep I saw him blast off the line right up in Studdards grill, blowing him at least 2 yards in the backfield. From what I've read in this thread it sounds like The Mitch is making Studdard his *****. I will continue watching this explosive wrecking-ball that we know as Earl Mitchell.

- Duane Brown is looking good. Winston looked ok, but still seems to be caught off-guard by speed at times. Caldwell doesn't look like he's going to give up that RG spot. He looked really good. Brisiel and Studdard were alternating. I thought Brisiel looked better in 11-11's. Myers and Wade were rotating too. I think most know my thoughts on Myers, but admittedly, I wasn't able to focus in on them to form a solid and fair observation.

- Barwin still has quickness, but wasn't able to get much done against our T's. I wasn't impressed with the pass rush at all today, but truly hope it was just an off day.

- Our LB crew is pretty sick. Nuff said there

- Wilson and Pollard go well together. Pollard talked and he backed it up for the most part. Our CB position has the most ?'s out of all and nothing was really answered today. KJ looked lost at times, then he'd be right there making a decent play. Consistency remains an issue with the CB's at this point.

- Schaub and Dre are right where they left off. Walter did ok, but I think we'll be seeing a bit more of JJ this season. He snatched a couple out of the air today and looked fast and shifty as always after the catch.

- If Foster continues the way he's playing right now, there's no way he loses the #1. The dude hit holes with determination and once he cut he surprised the heck out of me with his quickness. Tate had a couple good reps too. It's nice to see such a competition at the RB position.

- Dreessen had a good day today. Ddn't see much from the other TE's. I'm still hoping Casey can make run at the spot.

Shoulders, head, and neck. This is clear to me and I am not trying to cause a stir here but it's a clear observation both mom and me have made.

I looked at the video gary, and honestly I cant see much of a difference...

Back