Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

Ryan

THIS YEAR
Might as well get the ball rollin. People report today. :fans:

Anyone else going to the saturday practice? For those who have been on the 2nd day before, are the pads usually out or is that saved for a different day?

My thanks go out to everyone that goes and reports back here. It is extremely helpful to all of us that cant make it.

Someone keep an eye on Cole Pemberton the 6'7" tackle. Any info appreciated. I expect him to be "lost" first week or so.

I'll definately be there and report back what I can. I won't make it back home to my PC until around noon or so, so try to be patient.

Things I would love to happen at TC:

- Glover Quin takes the biggest leap of all "veteran" CBs

- Pollard brings his tenacity to TC, and solidifies himself as a team lead

- Earl Mitchell pushes Okoye

- Jacoby Jones becomes a WR

- Duane Brown works harder than any other OLineman and is ready to play 21 games

- Orlovsky, after refusing to believe that he ran out of the end zone years ago, is diagnosed with Heinsbergen Syndrome.

Things I would love to happen at TC:

- Glover Quin takes the biggest leap of all "veteran" CBs

- Pollard brings his tenacity to TC, and solidifies himself as a team lead

- Earl Mitchell pushes Okoye

- Jacoby Jones becomes a WR

- Duane Brown works harder than any other OLineman and is ready to play 21 games

- Orlovsky, after refusing to believe that he ran out of the end zone years ago, is diagnosed with Heinsbergen Syndrome.

I was right there with ya until the last one...I have no clue what that means.

Position battles heading into training camp:

Part One: Offense Skill Positions

QUARTERBACKS:

Last year was the first season Kubiak kept three Qbs on the 53 man roster. In order for John David Booty to make this roster, he will have to be extremely impressive in camp and in the preseason. Barring an injury, it is doubtful Booty remains on the team. More likely, is that a young QB is picked up and placed on the practice squad. Kubiak seems encouraged by Dan Orlovsky’s development this off-season. Improved decision-making and accuracy will be something to watch for with Orlovsky this preseason. Matt Schaub entered the status of the elite NFL QBs with his 2009 performance. Aaron Rodgers is the only other NFL QB with less than 50 starts in the NFL who rated in the top 10 in vital quarterbacking statistics like: QB rating, Yards per attempt, Completion %, 3rd down conversion rate, etc last season.

Week one prediction: 1)Schaub 2) Orlovsky.

RUNNING BACKS:

Finally! Finally! Finally, we enter training camp with a group of running backs not held together by tape, knee braces, and prayers. Whether the perceived depth is a mirage or not will be determined when and if Steve Slaton is discovered to be fully healthy from his spinal injury last season. Ben Tate, a very talented but somewhat untested rookie from Auburn, will join Steve Slaton and Arian Foster in a very interesting competition for carries. Other than the fact that Slaton is the better receiver of the group and a willing blocker, it is uncertain how those carries will shake out. There seems to be genuine excitement and confidence emanating from the coaching staff regarding Foster. More than his late season flurry, I think the staff is excited because they see a serious and committed worker (something they didn’t think he was last summer). The Texans will keep 3 or 4 RBs on the 53 man roster. Jeremiah Johnson could potentially work his way onto the team with a healthy preseason. He is an explosive open field runner in his second year out of Oregon. Because he is still practice squad eligible, I think it is unlikely that he makes the roster. Chris Henry (former Tennessee second round pick) is a beast of a man with great speed but has showed very little on the football field, including his college years at Arizona… but, he is also someone to keep an eye on in camp.

It is only an educated guess, but I expect Foster to receive the bulk of the carries on 1st and 2nd down in the early weeks and Slaton to play in long yardage and 3rd downs until the staff gains confidence in Ben Tate’s ability to handle protection assignments. I think Johnson is placed on practice squad and Henry is released. They would like to keep 4 RBs but I think the clutter of talent at WR and TE will prevent it. *One other note: look for packages using Trindon Holliday as a running back. He played the position some in college and it would be a way to justify his active status on gameday as a returner, while providing a little depth and creating some potential mismatches against opposing defenses. He’s listed as a WR right now ( but I have a hunch that he will get a look as a specialty RB).

Week one prediction: 1a) Arian Foster 1b)Steve Slaton 3)Ben Tate

http://www.texansbullblog.com/

McClain_on_NFL Andre Johnson just made an incredible 60 yd catch from Matt Schaub with Glover Quin all over him. #Texans

I am begining to like twitter more!
I WISH I WAS THERE!!!!!!!

Ok, now that everyone is in camp and busting tail, time for us to be praying that no injuries occur like they usually do on the first day - rest of camp.

Ok, now that everyone is in camp and busting tail, time for us to be praying that no injuries occur like they usually do on the first day - rest of camp.

Dude...did you start yelling "Galarraga has a perfect game going!" in the 9th inning couple months back?

Schaub looked sharp, hit AJ for 6 deep in the endzone.

Pollard and Wilson will be a solid combo as long as Wilson stays healthy, Pollard loves to come up for contact with WR.

Booty looked the worst of the QBs, he might have been just trying to do to much, he kept throwing deep, had one picked off.

Jacoby and Barwin were sucking wind on the sideline, JJ threw up, but to his credit he went back out and was on the field.

Trindon Holliday is really that small.

Nolan made a solid play knocking down a pass.

Tate looked OK, dropped a pass in the middle of the field.

Chris Henry actually looked pretty good, maybe it was just the hair. Big battle at RB this camp.

No pads today so hard to get a good look at folks, but wasn't bad for the first day.

We just got home and it was AWESOME! We went to the track area between the two field and had a great view of everything that was going on. I didn't pay that much attention to the "big nasties"....sorry you linemen lovers.

Things that rocked:
I got a high five from Jacoby Jones when they were moving from the far field to the close field.

I got a head nod from Cushing....I was wearing a Cushing shirt.

My daughter almost got stepped on by Andre Johnson. She was sitting on the ground when they were switching fields. She looked up and was speechless.....he's her idol and she was star struck. I just kept saying, "how cool was that, Andre almost stepped on you!"

I got 2 autographs!

I saw Gary, his mom, and his aunt.

Things I noticed:
Cushing looked tired and I'm not sure where his intesity level is at. I haven't ever been to a practice before, so I'm not sure what level they are normally going at and it was the first day, so this may not be an issue when all is said and done.

Bernard Pollard is a BEAST! That guy is intense in everything he does. He looked great out there and was blowing up the sled during the DB drills. He seemed to have more fire than any of the other DBs.

Andre looked to be in probowl form. He caught some really nice passes and I was glad to see him in camp.

Foster looked like he's ready to pick up where he left off last year. He was hitting the holes really well and looked quick. I saw Slaton, but it wasn't until the 11 on 11 drills, IIRC. (atleast that's when I noticed him)

Chris Henry looked pretty good back there as well.

Tate was there, but I didn't get a really good look at him running the ball. There was A LOT going on.

Shaub looked to be in great form. He was making some really good throws and the guys made some great catches too. He seems to be on the same page with his receivers.

There is a pretty significant drop off ffrom Shaub to the other QBs, which is to be expected.

I took a **** load of photos and I'll try to upload them when I get a chance. I didn't take notes, so I have a lot of thoughts jumbled in my head that are going to have to processed before I can finish giving a better summary. I'm just trying to post a little something for those salivating.

Oh yeah.....I talked to David Anderson. I told him that I saw his stand-up act and he looked like he didn't know what to say. He ended up saying it wasn't him and that he didn't know what I was talking about. (he was smiling....one of those full of **** smiles)

After the morning practice, I only have a few observations to share.

DTs
Look out for Mitchell. He is showing everything he was billed to show. WOW is all I can say.

Sheppard also impressed my with his quickness. He is appearing like a steal.

Okam looks like he is on his way out.

If the guys play like I saw the sacks should be up from last season. The inside guys will be cause enough disruption that the outside should have a huge season.

OL
Studdard has shown even more growth, his anchor has gotten even better.

Brisiel surprised me at LG, he looked quicker than last season.

And I have to add this Myers is looking solid.

RB

Foster is showing a lot. He is looking very explosive in the first 5 yds. Nice.

As for the rookies that every one want to hears about, I was over on the 2nd field and did not get to see a lot of the CBs work, so not much to report.

And a last note, Holiday is like a bug, a super fast bug that you cannot squash.

I will be there tomorrow...for anyone that went today, how did the autograph lottery thing go? This will be my first time going so I don't know what the procedure is as far getting there early to get bleacher seats?

Things I noticed:
Cushing looked tired and I'm not sure where his intesity level is at. I haven't ever been to a practice before, so I'm not sure what level they are normally going at and it was the first day, so this may not be an issue when all is said and done.

Bernard Pollard is a BEAST! That guy is intense in everything he does. He looked great out there and was blowing up the sled during the DB drills. He seemed to have more fire than any of the other DBs.

Andre looked to be in probowl form. He caught some really nice passes and I was glad to see him in camp.

Foster looked like he's ready to pick up where he left off last year. He was hitting the holes really well and looked quick. I saw Slaton, but it wasn't until the 11 on 11 drills, IIRC. (atleast that's when I noticed him)

Chris Henry looked pretty good back there as well.

Tate was there, but I didn't get a really good look at him running the ball. There was A LOT going on.

Shaub looked to be in great form. He was making some really good throws and the guys made some great catches too. He seems to be on the same page with his receivers.

There is a pretty significant drop off ffrom Shaub to the other QBs, which is to be expected.

I took a **** load of photos and I'll try to upload them when I get a chance. I didn't take notes, so I have a lot of thoughts jumbled in my head that are going to have to processed before I can finish giving a better summary. I'm just trying to post a little something for those salivating.

I agree with everything you said. I thought Tate also looked good for his first TC practice. I thought JDB was much crisper than Orlovsky. Niether held a candle to Schaub.

I love Pollard and the way he plays the game.

I think Cush is fine. He seems to be pacing himself, having been through a TC before. He and DeMeco were just talking things through today.

[
QUOTE=Cjeremy635;1482837]We just got home and it was AWESOME! We went to the track area between the two field and had a great view of everything that was going on. I didn't pay that much attention to the "big nasties"....sorry you linemen lovers.

Things that rocked:
I got a high five from Jacoby Jones when they were moving from the far field to the close field.

I think he gave you that High five so he could clean his hand, he had just been vomiting.

Last edited:
Booty looked the worst of the QBs, he might have been just trying to do to much, he kept throwing deep, had one picked off.

I know his passes were a little off today, but his mechanics and his reads were much better than Orlovsky today. One day, can't really put too much stock either way...

Back