Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

Love the confidence from Jackson...

“I’m running with the first group and getting a chance to show what I can do and earn some trust from the other guys so that they’ll believe in me and believe that I can do the things that need to be done as a player,” he said.

“I don’t really feel any pressure. If I come out and do what I’m capable of doing, learn the defense and learn the different things I have to do on the different plays… if I do that, then I think I’ll be successful.”

Link

Listening to John Harris on 1560 this afternoon, he was saying Arian Foster was looking really well. Running down hill, seeing the seem and making his cuts... He went on to say that Steve Slaton would have a good play and then be hesitant on the next play. Ben Tate looked a little unsure of himself (to be expected, of course). And Jeremiah Johnson looked really good, too.

John Harris was a little afraid that Jeremiah Johnson may have missed his window of opportunity because of his injury and IR last year (implying that, had he showed this last year AND not gotten hurt) that the Texans may have selected a safety in the second round in lieu of Ben Tate....

Who knows, but it was good stuff...

I got pumped over his analysis of Arian Foster though.....

UDFA rookie CB who was on the 80 man roster...

Here's a little training camp trivia for you: Who can tell me how many players are currently on the roster from Colorado State University? and name them (no cheating!)

Pemberton is one. Big lineman with knee brace on right knee.

David Anderson, WR?

TOO LONG TO POST BUT here is a lengthy piece of interesting DAY 1 QUOTES FROM TRAINING CAMP

Lots of material. What caught my eye especially was Okoye's remarks and Mario's apparent defensiveness.

Wow Amobi:

DT Amobi Okoye
(on if he agrees with the assessment that he has room for improvement) "Of course. Like I said, there's definitely room for improvement, but has the criticism been fair? Not at all, so it's left up to me to make those improvements and get those stats so that people can be off my back."

(on if he is dealing with criticism better now than he did when he was younger) "Yeah, without a doubt. I've grown a lot and going into year four and I'm only 23. And as I always say to those who criticize me, ‘What were you doing at 23? What were you doing at 22? Tell me that.' I've never been a person to boast or brag about my accomplishments, but when you get those criticisms and you hear things like that, you feel like you've got to speak up a little bit. I'm just looking forward to the 2010 season."

A great big thanks to everyone who posted.
Those of us who are not able to attend really do appreciate it.
Passed as much rep as possible!!:clap:
:clap:

Nice to see Okoye getting fired up, hopefully he brings that attitude to the field and not just to the reporters/fans.

I have mixed feelings about part of his quote.

(on if he is dealing with criticism better now than he did when he was younger) "Yeah, without a doubt. I've grown a lot and going into year four and I'm only 23. And as I always say to those who criticize me, ‘What were you doing at 23? What were you doing at 22? Tell me that.' I've never been a person to boast or brag about my accomplishments, but when you get those criticisms and you hear things like that, you feel like you've got to speak up a little bit. I'm just looking forward to the 2010 season."

And does he always say to those who criticize him, ‘What were you making at 23? What were you making at 22? Tell me that.

I have mixed feelings about part of his quote.

And does he always say to those who criticize him, ‘What were you making at 23? What were you making at 22? Tell me that.

Yeah Cloak I agree with you 100% about the mixed feelings. I still have an unsettling feeling that Amobi still doesn't get "it". He hasn't matured where we want him to be.

I don't think Okoye is on his last legs with the team. He is a starter every game he is fit and pretty much has been since he was drafted.

He hasn't lived up to what we hoped he could become but does that mean that he should be cut?

Here's some things i picked up on while being out there today:

Kareem Jackson got burned horribly one time by Andre Davis. I didn't see what exactly happened but i think it was due to lack of knowledge in the playbook. Other than that he looked alot like a rookie, hopefully that will change quickly.

If week 1 started today, Glover Quin would be our #1 CB. He was sticking with AJ like glue although AJ still made a bunch of tough catches.

Antwan Molden looked very fast and agile out there today. If he can stay healthy, i think he will be a great addition in our secondary.

Troy Nolan made a really nice play on a ball and dropped the pick. From what i saw he looked solid. But hopefully he won't see much of the field due to Pollard and Wilson staying healthy and dominating.

John David Booty was throwing better than everyone today, but take that with a huge grain of salt.

Trindon Holliday is our new KR/PR. We might have a Hester on our hands, but faster.

Dorin Dickerson was very solid across the board today. He made some nice catches and looks like he has some potential. I see him making the final cut.

Arian Foster looked very good today, Slaton was solid at times, Ben Tate looked like a rookie, J. Johnson looked okay, and Chris Henry also looked very good. Hopefully he can stay healthy as well.

The #2 WR spot is far from settled. I think JJ gives K-Dub some serious competition.

The TE position is what we expected...crowded. Graham also looks like an OD type, Dreesen is Dreesen, Casey keeps improving, and the other few camp fodder names weren't horrible either.

I didn't pay too much attention to the lines due to no pads and it was tough to see from where i was sitting anyway.

Take this for what it's worth.

I don't think Okoye is on his last legs with the team. He is a starter every game he is fit and pretty much has been since he was drafted.

He hasn't lived up to what we hoped he could become but does that mean that he should be cut?

Our interior D-line play was better than some folks here gave them credit for (or in this case, discredit).

Mitchell will replace Zgonina who played well for the Texans last year (so well that other fan favorites couldn't see much of the field).

Okoye may see fewer snaps, but that shouldn't be a knock on him.
(Because if it is, then the reverse should be true: that he's really really good since he saw the field a lot last year. Only Mario and Smith were out there more; and Smith, by not much.)

Trindon is small but road runner fast JJ better hope he makes the roster as a wideout and I think he will. I got there late and did not watch much but it's pretty much the same stuff. Booty did throw the best out there but that really does not mean a lot except maybe he'll be number two but I don't know. A deep backfield is what you'd see at camp right now with Foster ahead of the bunch imo. Ryan pretty much nailed it though with his post. There might be some surprises in the secondary with players who were injured last season. Well, that is my small update for today at least it's something for you out of towners to read. I plan on taking photos of the team on the field to post sometime within the next few days but this is all I have for right now. I hope you like it.

Trindon is small but road runner fast JJ better hope he makes the roster as a wideout and I think he will. I got there late and did not watch much but it's pretty much the same stuff. Booty did throw the best out there but that really does not mean a lot except maybe he'll be number two but I don't know. A deep backfield is what you'd see at camp right now with Foster ahead of the bunch imo. Ryan pretty much nailed it though with his post. There might be some surprises in the secondary with players who were injured last season. Well, that is my small update for today at least it's something for you out of towners to read. I plan on taking photos of the team on the field to post sometime within the next few days but this is all I have for right now. I hope you like it.

Thanks again, Gary and all the peeps for the reports!:texflag:

Super excited to see if Holliday's timed speed translates to NFL production.

Great to hear Molden and Nolan looking lively and useful. Maybe we can stay healthy in the secondary and make a leap forward defensively.

Andre was uncoverable. When he was on the field with all the wr'ers and cb's, he just looks like he belongs in a different world. head and shoulders above everyone else. (duh) schooled the rook couple times and beat GQ easily on about a 7 yrd slant. oh, and YES Andre looked fast!

walter looked slow, we are limited imo with the ways we can use him. i heard he got faster that obviously aint true. he was good with his short route running, gettin
open

jackson's jam off the line is very impressive, man he puts a pop on the wr and is very good at transistioning after the bump. got beat on a double move (flag type)
route by Andre davis for a longg td from Schaub(perfect throw) was in his hip pocket the whole way then got shook. he also got beat on some short routes

quin is/was my boy. imo he doesnt look as good as i thought being we cant see game film of all his plays, he got beat on a lot of short intermediate routes, not just by AJ. and its not that he looks bad, im just not as high on him as i was b4.

Schaub was great, super accurate specially on the deep 1. to davis.

trindon returned 2 punts for a td, beat arian to the edge on 1, then slaton on the other and was gone on both. looked great, he also caught the ball well today i didnt see any drops. couldtn see him cuz they was on the second field in the begining but a cb jammed holliday in 1on1s and pancaked him lol

pollard was great. looked like the leader back there.

off todays practice who was the best cb? Antwaun Molden UNANIMIOUSLY
he has a good jam, good transition, and once he was in the wr's hip pocket, he
STAYED there. very impressive. diff wr's were takin him on all diff type of routes and he was just right there and didnt get shook.

These are just my observations, i liked what i saw out there. i had a great time it was my first and i got there early and sat at the 50 in the stands at the top by a real nice guy who i follow on twitter and read many of his articles mr AJTexans, Alan Burge. what a nice guy and great time i had talkin football with him and Andy the photograper, great job he does

Which rookie is looking the best thus far?
Holliday (as a punt returner). Even among NFL players, Trindon's speed and acceleration are remarkable. Holliday's ability to change gears from blinding fast to warp speed will serve him well.

Holliday (as a punt returner). Even among NFL players, Trindon's speed and acceleration are remarkable. Holliday's ability to change gears from blinding fast to warp speed will serve him well.

Lucky, I agree... But, it will be interested to see what happens to him when he can get hit. Here are some of my observations from camp today:

Barrett covered a lot of it in his post. However, we split up and I would like to highlight a few things I noticed :

1. Chris “Catfish” White lived up to his nickname today. Five minutes into practice, he walked towards the fence on the north endzone, unzipped his pants, and relieved himself! I got a picture of it (well, not of it but of his backside) but Barrett was insistent that I should leave him alone… So, it’s quite blurry. I may post it later, anyway.

2. Mike Brisiel is still walking with a pronounced limp. He says he can manage the pain but I’m worried about it. I shot a 30 second video of Brisiel limping which I will post today as well.

3. Frank Okam is 360 lbs of unmotivated flesh. The coaches and players were constantly trying to encourage and motivate him but he looked lazy and disinterested and he was very upright and stiff in every drill he participated in.

4.It is clear, watching the oline reps, that they have settled on Antoine Caldwell as the starting RG.

5. Molden looked very good most of the time. He was agile and very fast. He diagnosed routes well and close or recovered quickly. I did notice some big mistakes by him in press, though.

6. Sherick McMannis worked on drills and thenran sprints after practice. Perhaps he is struggling with a minor injury and isn’t cleared for contact right now? I’m not sure.

7. Deljuan Robinson looked big, strong, and healthy… and, focused. I think he will be heavily involved in the DT rotation on run downs (after all, if Okam gets cut, he’s the only 300lb+ DT on the roster).

8. Amobi Okoye is freakin’ ripped!! He looked like Andre’ Johnson’s big brother. His arms were sculpted and he looked extremely strong and fit. I did notice that he was sucking wind pretty early into the practice, though. Hopefully, it is a result of his high intensity.

9. Bernard Pollard is the clear leader of the defense and maybe the team. He was intense, vocal, and fun all in one. On a water break, a fan nearby asked him how he’s doing and this was his response: “Ready to put those pads on. This ain’t my game right here”

other notes: Keep an eye 2nd year CB, Mark Parson. He’s running with the third team but he had two picks yesterday and was very physical and really locked down on WRs when given reps. I’m sure the team would like to keep 4 OTs. There are clearly three OTs that will make the roster. Early on, it appears that Cole Pemberton, rookie from Colorado State University, has the edge.

PADS TOMORROW!!!!!!

http://texansbullblog.com

This is great stuff. I'll sit down on Monday and give out all the rep I can until I'm maxed out. To those of you who are hitting the practices, thanks a TON for the information. It's great stuff.

I'm more than cautiously optimistic on what I'm hearing about Foster, GQ, Molden, and Holliday.

The good reports on Schaub and AJ, while great, don't surprise me. I guess I don't expect anything less than excellence out of those cats.

Zac Diles posted on his twitter:

"Got stung by a bee and had a vein explode in my are while gettin an I.V. this mornin....day has to get better from here haha..."

Do any of you guys have any observations about the play of Dan Orlovsky? I hate to be the one to say it, but Matt Schaub has not made it through an entire season yet, so the play of our backup QB could by key. So while I hope that this it the year that Schaub plays the entire season without a scratch, or even anything as much as chapped lips for that matter, our #2 QB does need to be ready to step in, if necessary.

Do any of you guys have any observations about the play of Dan Orlovsky? I hate to be the one to say it, but Matt Schaub has not made it through an entire season yet, so the play of our backup QB could by key. So while I hope that this it the year that Schaub plays the entire season without a scratch, or even anything as much as chapped lips for that matter, our #2 QB does need to be ready to step in, if necessary.

He played every game last year.

He played every game last year.

He was out for part of a couple of games, unless I am mistaken.

In any case, is it your sense that the Texans or Texan's fans should just blindly assume that Schaub will remain that healthy again this coming year? In fact, the backup QB position is actually quite important in the NFL. I have not seen any statistics on this point, but I believe that more often than not the starting QB of an NFL team will spend some time on the bench during the regular season due to injury.

Dan Orlavsky, as the backup QB of the Houston Texans, could very quickly become one of the most important players on this team. For that reason, I am interested in his progress, and in his abilities as a QB for this team. Perhaps I am the only Texan's fan who feels this way, but I doubt it.

Back