Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

Do any of you guys have any observations about the play of Dan Orlovsky? I hate to be the one to say it, but Matt Schaub has not made it through an entire season yet, so the play of our backup QB could by key. So while I hope that this it the year that Schaub plays the entire season without a scratch, or even anything as much as chapped lips for that matter, our #2 QB does need to be ready to step in, if necessary.

He played every game last year.

Yes he did play every game, but Grossman played for like a quater and a half when Schaub hurt his ankle I believe...

edit: I see it's already been posted..

He was out for part of a couple of games, unless I am mistaken.

In any case, is it your sense that the Texans or Texan's fans should just blindly assume that Schaub will remain that healthy again this coming year? In fact, the backup QB position is actually quite important in the NFL. I have not seen any statistics on this point, but I believe that more often than not the starting QB of an NFL team will spend some time on the bench during the regular season due to injury.

Dan Orlavsky, as the backup QB of the Houston Texans, could very quickly become one of the most important players on this team. For that reason, I am interested in his progress, and in his abilities as a QB for this team. Perhaps I am the only Texan's fan who feels this way, but I doubt it.

I haved mixed feelings about the back-up QB being important. Most of the top QB's in the leauge are top QB's because they play a majority of their games...Even if you look at the Tom Brady situation, that was a one year type situation and no one outside of the patriots facilities really knew what Cassell was going to do for them.

But if you look at the good to really good QB's around the leauge they play in most if not all of their games. Also, if a team is having to play their back-up QB, the odds of they probably aren't going to do too good anyways.

I'll be going to the practice on Aug 2nd....Very excited

I've been to atleast on practice for the last three years, but going to this one has a different feeling..

I'll be going to the practice on Aug 2nd....Very excited

I've been to atleast on practice for the last three years, but going to this one has a different feeling..

Well, I am excited for you. I went one time about five years ago, but it was really kind of hot and sticky out there. So I am just going to try to live vicariously through you guys who like to attend, if that's OK.

Any chance you could peek in on Dan Orlavsky while you are out there? Hopefully he never gets a chance to play during the regular season, but if he has to, it would be nice to have a sense that he is at least somewhat close to being ready.

;)

Well, I am excited for you. I went one time about five years ago, but it was really kind of hot and sticky out there. So I am just going to try to live vicariously through you guys who like to attend, if that's OK.

Any chance you could peek in on Dan Orlavsky while you are out there? Hopefully he never gets a chance to play during the regular season, but if he has to, it would be nice to have a sense that he is at least somewhat close to being ready.

;)

I'll report on everything I see, but I'll look for Dan-o just for you Mojo...

But about the hot and sticky, I went to one last year and the weather was awesome...Overcast skies, about 75 degrees out, and there was a cool wind blowing...

Every other time it's been just like you described though..

I'll report on everything I see, but I'll look for Dan-o just for you Mojo...

But about the hot and sticky, I went to one last year and the weather was awesome...Overcast skies, about 75 degrees out, and there was a cool wind blowing...

Every other time it's been just like you described though..

Thanks! I appreciate that!

I will be looking forward to your report.

I am sorry my reports were not as good today or in deapth they'll be better tomorrow.

Well, thanks for offering whatever reports that you do. For people like me that are too lazy to go out there, your efforts are greatly appreciated. And I thought your remarks earlier about John David Booty were very good. Everybody is quick to comment about the performance of Matt Shaub, Andre Johnson, Mario Williams and the other big-name stars. But it is the insightful remarks about the backups that really stand out, and that serve to inform many of us about players who could help to make or break this team either later this season, or in the years to come.

I should have said something about it earlier. I am glad to hear that JDB is looking strong out there so far. Personally, I would be shocked if he wins the #2 QB as a new player to the team with virtually no NFL regular season experience. However, if Kubiak thinks he can develop Booty as a project from the #3 position, then that is great news. I will look forward to following his progress. If he ends up as a solid player for the Texans, that will truly be a great story for this team.

Gary, thanks for your contributions today from practice.

;)

I hope Dan has plenty of opportunity to play this season. Specifically the second half of fourth quarters. ;)

Well, thanks for offering whatever reports that you do. For people like me that are too lazy to go out there, your efforts are greatly appreciated. And I thought your remarks earlier about John David Booty were very good. Everybody is quick to comment about the performance of Matt Shaub, Andre Johnson, Mario Williams and the other big-name stars. But it is the insightful remarks about the backups that really stand out, and that serve to inform many of us about players who could help to make or break this team either later this season, or in the years to come.

I should have said something about it earlier. I am glad to hear that JDB is looking strong out there so far. Personally, I would be shocked if he wins the #2 QB as a new player to the team with virtually no NFL regular season experience. However, if Kubiak thinks he can develop Booty as a project from the #3 position, then that is great news. I will look forward to following his progress. If he ends up as a solid player for the Texans, that will truly be a great story for this team.

Booty might just shock all of us you never know but it's all up to Gary at this point.

My impressions:

One thing really bothers me, and that's the report on Kareem Jackson's performance. Someone console me with a counter argument.

I like what I hear about Okoye's conditioning, but it doesn't make me feel any better about the bulging disc in his back.

I like Foster, but I'm still nervous about his ball security. Remember, he's only #1 right now because Eric Winston recovered one of his fumbles at a crucial moment.

I've been anticipating the emergence of Molden, and I think he's going to come up big this season if he can stay healthy.

Reports on Earl Mitchell are reassuring. He'll be a valuable addition to the interior.

I was watching Holliday today and I saw him drop 2 balls in a row. I was pretty disappointed. I was hoping he could be like a Wes Welker but he really needs to improve his hands. On the other hand, when he has the ball in his hands he is electric.

So....if JDB gets called upon to enter the game as our QB, is that technically considered "A Booty Call"?

:bender:

rimshot.gif

One thing really bothers me, and that's the report on Kareem Jackson's performance. Someone console me with a counter argument
This was his 2nd training camp practice and like all of the rookies, he's thinking rather than reacting. Maybe Jackson is the most "pro ready" CB of his draft class. He still needs to learn the ropes. I will say that during drills prior to the official start of practice, Jackson looked very smooth with good footwork. Physically, he looks like a near clone of Glover Quin. This is a very young group of CBs, but I'm encouraged by the hands-on approach of secondary coach David Gibbs. This may be the best assistant coaching staff the Texans have ever had.

Do any of you guys have any observations about the play of Dan Orlovsky?
It's too early to say. I saw a lot of check downs and short passes from Dan-O. I'll reserve judgment until I see him in preseason action.

I got a picture of it (well, not of it but of his backside) but Barrett was insistent that I should leave him alone…
I would trust Barrett's instincts on this one.

I'm disappointed about missing the pads on practice, tomorrow. Watch (and listen) for Sharpton, the rookie LB, to meet Tate. That will be interesting.

JDB threw 4 interceptions yesterday, so he was not have a great day. Not all where his fault though.

Dan O did not impress me yesterday, but I was not watching him the whole practice as I was watching the lineman for the most part.

ESPN's Rumor Central is reporting that Rosenfels is on the trading block for less than a 4th round pick. After watching the train wreck that was the Texan offense without Schaub in the Jax game, Rosenfels might not be a bad insurance option. Just sayin'...
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors#5595

He's better than Danny O and Booty.

What did we get when we traded him in the first place?
Looked it up, fourth round draft pick in last years draft.

JDB threw 4 interceptions yesterday, so he was not have a great day. Not all where his fault though.

Dan O did not impress me yesterday, but I was not watching him the whole practice as I was watching the lineman for the most part.
I must have missed them. What number is Booty? Ten I thought.

Went to camp this morning and met Barrett and DaleMurphy from Texans Talk. Good dudes! Made the trip from Austin, just like I used to have to do... but now I'm back in the H.

Went to camp this morning and met Barrett and DaleMurphy from Texans Talk. Good dudes! Made the trip from Austin, just like I used to have to do... but now I'm back in the H.

Enjoyed the info from your tweets. Looking forward to more.

Enjoyed the info from your tweets. Looking forward to more.

Thanks JB!

Here's my condensed report (with the obvious caveat that we can't put much of anything into this stuff, cuz we talkin' 'bout practice). I'll have a more detailed one on my blog soon:

Good - Earl Mitchell. Not dominant in pass rush drills as McClain seemed to suggest, but consistently good. Absolutely blasted Studdard in the chops on one snap. Studdard himself is a pretty intense guy, but he was NOT ready for what Mitchell gave him.

Malcolm Sheppard. Another rookie DT. Quick and agile, he has a high motor much like Mitchell. Our rookie DTs look good, I'm happy to report.

Ben Tate. Much less hesitant, much more decisive. Busted what would have been a long run (TD perhaps?) on the very first snap of 11 on 11s.

Bad - Frank Okam. Just looked slow and sometimes uninterested.

Kareem Jackson. Okay, it's not that he looked bad, it's just that Andre Johnson was just KILLING him, but who doesn't? KJax made a solid play on a KWalt out pattern.

Garrett Graham. Had the nice one-handed catch, but he also looked pretty solid as a blocker on the one play I was watching him block on.

More on the blog soon....

Chris, thanks. We enjoyed talking to you as well. Great practice today.
Here's a little writeup with a link to pictures below.

Great practice this morning. It was fun meeting BigRon from the Chron.com fanblog, Stephanie (TexansChick) http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/, Chris of http://www.houstondiehards.com/ , and Alan Burge http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner.

This morning, the guys were in shoulder pads and did some actual hitting. Bernard Pollard was pumped up! There was a lot more team activities, which I will get to later. I spent half of practice concentrating on the drills between offensive and defensive linemen and the one on one drills between WRs and CBs. Here are some observations:

1. Earl Mitchell looks amazing! He was the most dominate defensive lineman during the drills. On his first attempt, he bullrushed Kasey Studdard right into the QB (played by Bruce Matthews). Shortly afterwards, he ran a twist with Shaun Cody, and absolutely blew up Chris Myers. He isn’t only quick but has great explosion and good balance and leverage. I think he’s going to make an immediate impact in the Dline rotation.

2. Mario sat out practice with a sore hip. Look for Kubiak’s comments about that later. He wasn’t hobbling around on the field but did not do any of the activities.

3. I’m a huge Barwin fan, but I thought he looked raw during the drills. Granted, he was lining up against Winston and Brown, but he didn’t show anything other than a good edge rush. He tried a spin inside but was stoned by Winston. He was also slow running a twist. Kollar jumped all over him for it.

4. Duane Brown looks good. He’s in great shape and was impressive in drills. He went against A.smith an number of times and they both looked pretty good. Brown got bull-rushed by Smith once and driven back, but Brown was able to recover and keep him off of Bruce Matthews.

5. I only saw a couple reps from Shelly Smith, but he didn’t look good. I thought he had a good chance to make the roster but it looks like he’s not there yet.

6. Fred Bennett got burned deep by Dickerson. Then, he was burned deep by A. Davis. Then, he was burned deep by A.Johnson…. then, he was relegated to 4th string.

7. Molden looked good again today. I still think he struggles in press but he seems healthy and confident.

8. Brice McCain looks great! He is always in the WRs hip pocket and often makes a play on the ball. I think he’s destined to play nickel and dime due to his heighth. But, he’s a player. Another note, when the 1st team defense is playing nickel, McCain plays outside and Quin slides into slot.

9. Glover Quin looks great against everybody except Andre Johnson. Quin’s supposed lack of speed doesn’t show up on the field.

10. My personal sleeper to make the roster is Mark Parson. He had another pick today, this time in the one on one drills. I think he may have been flagged by the practice ref for illegal use of hands, but it was a good play. As I said yesterday, he plays very physically without clutching and grabbing (think Al Harris not Courtland Finnegan), and is always glued to the WR.

11. Kareem Jackson is hard to assess. He made some plays and had tight coverage, except when Andre Johnson blew past him for a TD during the drills or when Andre Davis left him for a TD in Saturday’s practice.

12. Ben Tate definitely looked quicker and more decisive. During the 11 on 11’s he had a couple very nice runs. His mediocre showing the first few practices is probably simply a result of his head swimming with information.

13. Jacoby Jones looks very good as a WR. He handled press well and almost always created separation on his routes. He dropped one catchable ball and then also fumbled during a punt return (of course).

14. Trindon Holliday also fumbled during a punt return. He’s so freakin’ quick and fast!! Unfortunately, he is totally useless as a WR right now. He had a drop, his routes are sloppy, and his blocking is a disaster! I still think he makes the team, though. I think his roster spot is tied into how valuable Kubiak deems Jacoby is as a WR. Right now, I’m thinking he’s pretty valuable.

15. Garrett Graham made a great one-handed catch downfield today.

16. Caldwell is clearly the starting RG and there seems to be a battle between Wade Smith and Myers at center and between Studdard and “Biscuit” Brisiel at LG. I’m interested in whether Wade Smith is also a consideration at LG?

17. Sherrick McManis did not participate in the team activities again today and was running conditioning tests with Cedric Smith after practice again when we left at 10:15am.

18. Owen Daniels and Anthony Hill were both doing some ball-catching drills on the side. OD definitely seems further along in his rehab than Hill does.

Well, that is about all I have right now. Barrett and I are loading up and heading back to Austin after our two day training camp. It was a lot of fun. I reccomend coming out and watching one of these if you are able. We are posting another group of pictures in our images section. Also, tonight or tomorrow, I will load a few short videos that I took on my little digital camera.

http://www.texansbullblog.com/images/training-camp-day03/

Chris, thanks. We enjoyed talking to you as well. Great practice today.
Here's a little writeup with a link to pictures below.

Great practice this morning. It was fun meeting BigRon from the Chron.com fanblog, Stephanie (TexansChick) http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/, Chris of http://www.houstondiehards.com/ , and Alan Burge http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner.

This morning, the guys were in shoulder pads and did some actual hitting. Bernard Pollard was pumped up! There was a lot more team activities, which I will get to later. I spent half of practice concentrating on the drills between offensive and defensive linemen and the one on one drills between WRs and CBs. Here are some observations:

1. Earl Mitchell looks amazing! He was the most dominate defensive lineman during the drills. On his first attempt, he bullrushed Kasey Studdard right into the QB (played by Bruce Matthews). Shortly afterwards, he ran a twist with Shaun Cody, and absolutely blew up Chris Myers. He isn’t only quick but has great explosion and good balance and leverage. I think he’s going to make an immediate impact in the Dline rotation.

2. Mario sat out practice with a sore hip. Look for Kubiak’s comments about that later. He wasn’t hobbling around on the field but did not do any of the activities.

3. I’m a huge Barwin fan, but I thought he looked raw during the drills. Granted, he was lining up against Winston and Brown, but he didn’t show anything other than a good edge rush. He tried a spin inside but was stoned by Winston. He was also slow running a twist. Kollar jumped all over him for it.

4. Duane Brown looks good. He’s in great shape and was impressive in drills. He went against A.smith an number of times and they both looked pretty good. Brown got bull-rushed by Smith once and driven back, but Brown was able to recover and keep him off of Bruce Matthews.

5. I only saw a couple reps from Shelly Smith, but he didn’t look good. I thought he had a good chance to make the roster but it looks like he’s not there yet.

6. Fred Bennett got burned deep by Dickerson. Then, he was burned deep by A. Davis. Then, he was burned deep by A.Johnson…. then, he was relegated to 4th string.

7. Molden looked good again today. I still think he struggles in press but he seems healthy and confident.

8. Brice McCain looks great! He is always in the WRs hip pocket and often makes a play on the ball. I think he’s destined to play nickel and dime due to his heighth. But, he’s a player. Another note, when the 1st team defense is playing nickel, McCain plays outside and Quin slides into slot.

9. Glover Quin looks great against everybody except Andre Johnson. Quin’s supposed lack of speed doesn’t show up on the field.

10. My personal sleeper to make the roster is Mark Parson. He had another pick today, this time in the one on one drills. I think he may have been flagged by the practice ref for illegal use of hands, but it was a good play. As I said yesterday, he plays very physically without clutching and grabbing (think Al Harris not Courtland Finnegan), and is always glued to the WR.

11. Kareem Jackson is hard to assess. He made some plays and had tight coverage, except when Andre Johnson blew past him for a TD during the drills or when Andre Davis left him for a TD in Saturday’s practice.

12. Ben Tate definitely looked quicker and more decisive. During the 11 on 11’s he had a couple very nice runs. His mediocre showing the first few practices is probably simply a result of his head swimming with information.

13. Jacoby Jones looks very good as a WR. He handled press well and almost always created separation on his routes. He dropped one catchable ball and then also fumbled during a punt return (of course).

14. Trindon Holliday also fumbled during a punt return. He’s so freakin’ quick and fast!! Unfortunately, he is totally useless as a WR right now. He had a drop, his routes are sloppy, and his blocking is a disaster! I still think he makes the team, though. I think his roster spot is tied into how valuable Kubiak deems Jacoby is as a WR. Right now, I’m thinking he’s pretty valuable.

15. Garrett Graham made a great one-handed catch downfield today.

16. Caldwell is clearly the starting RG and there seems to be a battle between Wade Smith and Myers at center and between Studdard and “Biscuit” Brisiel at LG. I’m interested in whether Wade Smith is also a consideration at LG?

17. Sherrick McManis did not participate in the team activities again today and was running conditioning tests with Cedric Smith after practice again when we left at 10:15am.

18. Owen Daniels and Anthony Hill were both doing some ball-catching drills on the side. OD definitely seems further along in his rehab than Hill does.

Well, that is about all I have right now. Barrett and I are loading up and heading back to Austin after our two day training camp. It was a lot of fun. I reccomend coming out and watching one of these if you are able. We are posting another group of pictures in our images section. Also, tonight or tomorrow, I will load a few short videos that I took on my little digital camera.

http://www.texansbullblog.com/images/training-camp-day03/

Thanks for all the information. I second the thoughts on Parson too. I had no clue who he was on Friday morning, but he definately stood out to me with his picks and the way he was playing the receiver. I made it a point to take a picture of the back of his jersey so I could remember who he was when I got home. When did we pick him up and where did he come from? Is he a rookie or someone off the street?

Thanks for all the information. I second the thoughts on Parson too. I had no clue who he was on Friday morning, but he definately stood out to me with his picks and the way he was playing the receiver. I made it a point to take a picture of the back of his jersey so I could remember who he was when I got home. When did we pick him up and where did he come from? Is he a rookie or someone off the street?

We signed him last year from the Saints Practice Squad. Several posters on this board hold him in high regard. There's been some talk about how he could come in and surprise some people.

We signed him last year from the Saints Practice Squad. Several posters on this board hold him in high regard. There's been some talk about how he could come in and surprise some people.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully he'll get a chance to perform in preseason and do well. I think we can use all of the help we can get in the secondary and if this guy can be a piece of the puzzle, then so be it.

Back