Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

O'Brien vs. Kubiak

I understand this, but it's hard to have a productive offense when 1 WR isn't even in the NFL anymore and another one shouldn't be.
It's double hard when the play design is poor.
Heck, Kevin Walters and David Anderson can catch some passes and they hardly ever beat any DB in one-on-one.

Isn't that pretty much the arguement on why OB didn't get anywhere the first 3-4 years? Power struggle between him and Smith.

& this is my problem with ownership. The owner should have a vision & find people to make that vision work.

Maybe BO'b was too new to the whole thing when Capers & Casserly were here. I give him a pass there. But 4 years later he should have known what he wanted.

Enter Kubiak & the way business was done on Kirby changed. & that included bringing in Rick Smith.

Then all of a sudden it appeared Rick's vision was the future of the Texans. Exit Kubiak, enter O'Brien. But Rick had nothing to do with the search for a new HC.

Bob McNair passes away (RIP), O'Brien appears to possess the vision, Rick is out... Easterby is in???

We're changing direction again.

Hence I'm saying we'd have been better off staying on the track we started with Kubiak. Not because I want Kubiak here now, but because I see us treading water since Kubiak's vision was trumped by Rick's.

So the question is do you agree that Kubiak went 2-14 because of the power struggle and if so how is that different from OB?

So the story goes, Kubiak thought Schaub was done after the injury & extending him long term would not be a good idea.

Rick didn't think the foot injury was going to hamper Schaub's performance.

Kubiak didn't bench Schaub because he was trying to prove a point.

I'm not a Case Kennum fan, but I know we should have won at least one of those 8 games & I believe in my heart of hearts that we didn't because Kubiak didn't want to. Proving a point.

Far as O'Brien is concerned, I don't think he can design a top offense in this league. He never has. Wherever Kubiak goes, bam... top offense. Before he was our HC, after he was our HC. Ok, maybe not Denver. But the point is he has done it. Several times.

But that's ok. I doubt Bill Belichick can design a top offense in this league, but he doesn't pretend he can.

Get a new OL coach, get someone who can implement a top offense.

But please stop pretending you can. After six years of, 'We need to coach it better." Should be enough.

& this is my problem with ownership. The owner should have a vision & find people to make that vision work.

Maybe BO'b was too new to the whole thing when Capers & Casserly were here. I give him a pass there. But 4 years later he should have known what he wanted.

Enter Kubiak & the way business was done on Kirby changed. & that included bringing in Rick Smith.

Then all of a sudden it appeared Rick's vision was the future of the Texans. Exit Kubiak, enter O'Brien. But Rick had nothing to do with the search for a new HC.

Bob McNair passes away (RIP), O'Brien appears to possess the vision, Rick is out... Easterby is in???

Hence I'm saying we'd have been better off staying on the track we started with Kubiak. Not because I want Kubiak here now, but because I see us treading water since Kubiak's vision was trumped by Rick's.

Mediocre vision is all this franchise has ever had and ownership doesn't have an issue with this.

If you don't have anything to counter the arguments, please stay out.
Your post is pointless because it's not within the topic.
You're attacking the poster by trying to ridicule him.

Trying to ridicule steelb??? lmao

All of Brissett's throws in a certain game vs. the Texans.
You can just go to YouTube and search for "Jacoby Brissett vs. Texans".
You'll find a few games there.

I saw 2 out routes a slant and a qb rush before I stopped watching. The views are tv side not 22. Hard to argue play design when you can't see what folks are doing.

I saw 2 out routes a slant and a qb rush before I stopped watching. The views are tv side not 22. Hard to argue play design when you can't see what folks are doing.
I know.
The main thing is you don't see one-on-one as you normally see with Hopkins.
You see more open receiver(s); not on all plays but often enough to let Brissett have som easy throws.

I know.
The main thing is you don't see one-on-one as you normally see with Hopkins.
You see more open receiver(s); not on all plays but often enough to let Brissett have som easy throws.

Show me 1 play on 22 so we can decipher the defense and the routes against it. I don't disagree with you just this montage might show WHAT happened but it doesn't show HOW it happened.

I thought they had great sports ( football) advisors in their corner to help them out. What happened to those guys? Did they elected to stop listening or did they stop taking their advise.

Understandably, we're all perturbed by happenings on Kirby in what, once upon a time a glorious gift, or so we thought, from Bob McNair. Now its Cal ship to steer and its business as usual. Only saving grace could be this Easterby fellow as Thunderkys so eloquently gave the franchise synopsis. I choose to just let it be. No more long hours crunching college tape, pounding my chest for this or that prospect, because this organization has lost all ability to utilize draft capital & evaluate skill set. Before there was at least Smith or Gaine to steer scouts in the proper direction. Good luck to players brought in by the former GM's, its going to be a bumpy road. Hard to imagine, based on who and for what players they've already signed, negotiations with Tunsil, which should make him the highest paid LT in the NFL (never mind two 1st round picks, not going to breakdown rest of the package). Very expensive and worth it but now your going to have to also pay Watson north of 200 million. How to structure a cap around that without cheap 1st contract rookies?

Stay thirsty my Texan friends :wesmantexanfan:

Far as O'Brien is concerned, I don't think he can design a top offense in this league. He never has. Wherever Kubiak goes, bam... top offense. Before he was our HC, after he was our HC. Ok, maybe not Denver. But the point is he has done it. Several times.

But that's ok. I doubt Bill Belichick can design a top offense in this league, but he doesn't pretend he can.
You bring up an interesting point. Belichick's Offense is often in the top-10, or even top 5. (2018 - #5, 2017- #1, 2016 - #4, 2012 - #1, 2011 - #2) ...and 2007 was an epic #1 for the ages and one of the best in history.

I think O'Brien could undoubtedly design a top offense in the league, just like his mentor. The difference is that O'Brien would need far better talent across the board to do so. Or perhaps he just needs a Tom Brady to do it for him? Brady hasn't always had the best supporting cast.

Wade Smith & Cecli Shorts had a discussion on BOB's offensive system. Wade playing under Kubiak, of course, he does alot of comparisons between his experiences with Kubes' system. Made me instantly think of this thread.

It's a good listen.

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/media/audio-channel/the-texans-offense-system-needs-to-change
This line stood out to me the best.

deshaun looks confused, not at what he’s seeing but with what he’s supposed to be doing.

the defense isn’t confusing him the OC is overwhelming him with options. He’s over thinking

Here you go.
Last play for a TD is especially easy.

Great find 76. I see a lot of cover 1 here over the top and man coverage in general. We send more then 3 and even 5 at times with little effect (indys line is good!)

Route progressions dont resemble ours. There seems to be a clear 1,2,3 read for the qb based on cuts and depth. Plays like the double crosser with a curl over the top are designed to attack man and zone on the same play.

I dont see much of that from us.

Furthermore, we do see early routes in most of this should the qb get in trouble fast. A lot of our route designs dont seem to feature that.

This looks very qb friendly to me. Great job illustrating your point.

Wade Smith & Cecli Shorts had a discussion on BOB's offensive system. Wade playing under Kubiak, of course, he does alot of comparisons between his experiences with Kubes' system. Made me instantly think of this thread.

It's a good listen.

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/media/audio-channel/the-texans-offense-system-needs-to-change

Thanks for posting this link. I got to work when they were getting into the conversation and was going to post about snippet what I heard.

Last edited:
This line stood out to me the best.

deshaun looks confused, not at what he’s seeing but with what he’s supposed to be doing.

the defense isn’t confusing him the OC is overwhelming him with options. He’s over thinking

Before a narrative start that Watson is not understanding the options the OC is giving him. To me, overwhelmed with options is "paralysis by analysis". Everyone is thinking instead of reacting.

Yes it was, pretty much echoed what we have been saying for a hot minute.
It was great hearing two former players echoing what we have mentioned for the past three years. Even in this thread, I asked what is the identity of the Texans?

The comments in that discussion between Wade and Shorts explains so much about the inconsistent offense. By all accounts, O'Brien is a smart man. I just don't understand why he's so hell bent on reinventing the wheel. Implement a package of plays, if needed reduce the option routes, call those package of plays from different formations. You can still use your game plan offense, but if the game plan offense are plays that you practiced in training camp, when it fails in week 10, you still have your package of plays to call.

Many engineers are very smart people, but they design or come up with some of the worst real world ideas. O'Brien is making this so much harder than it needs to be. He would have been a great engineer. No offense to engineers.

Last edited:
Show us any HoF player that has something like this to say about O'Brien:

"He was a leader who was believable, a man of high character who always had a plan," Miller said in the letter, which was published Tuesday at MMQB. "He used to assign me what I call side missions — after team meetings he’d pull me aside and tell me what he needed from me that day, whether it was raising the intensity level at practice or heightening the focus on the details. I was excited and proud to be called on."

"Kubiak, a former quarterback, knows quarterbacks," Miller wrote. "He knew he had to bench Peyton Manning for Brock Osweiler during the regular season a year ago in order to get Peyton fully healthy for the playoffs. And he knew when to insert Peyton back into the lineup. It all worked because Kubiak always has a plan. He’s not the sort of man who throws something against the wall and waits to see what the outcome will be. He always forecasted his moves and knew exactly what he wanted to happen."

If winning a SB with a new coach is so easy and simple, why are the Texans so keen to keep O'Brien here? :um:

Maybe because Kubiak had a lot more to do with winning the Broncos SB than some would care to admit.

Dude had multiple rings at three levels of pro coaching. Y'all can slice and dice it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that he is heads above O'Brien as both an OC and HC.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...iak-tribute-letter/1537ispdjfamd1670n6w3jlva7

If winning a SB with a new coach is so easy and simple, why are the Texans so keen to keep O'Brien here? :um:

Maybe because Kubiak had a lot more to do with winning the Broncos SB than some would care to admit.

Dude had multiple rings at three levels of pro coaching. Y'all can slice and dice it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that he is heads above O'Brien as both an OC and HC.
Great example and yet another good post.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...iak-tribute-letter/1537ispdjfamd1670n6w3jlva7

Heads above? Lol!

Not by record and results he wasn't. And you trashed Kubiak all over this site, so it isn't like you can act like you're really impressed with him based on what he did here.

Hilarious that anyone ever tries bringing up his SB in Denver. It was all defense and Wade's side of the ball that had all of the success. Very similar to in Houston. Lets face it pretty much all of Kubiak's success as a HC came at the helm of Wade Phillips bringing a great defense that changed their team over night. Kubiak was ran out of Denver the very next season when his team was struggling a lot and he lost the locker room. NONE OF THE KUBIAK DISCIPLES ever want to talk about that or even touch it. Kubiak had members on his coaching staff who were struggling and Elway wanted them gone and Kubiak couldn't handle that. Elway then wanted him out, and they used Kubiak's health issues from all of the stress of that situation to as a perfect reason to call it him resigning and "retiring". Everyone that tried to argue that this took place also argued that Kubiak was fully retired and wouldn't come back after I told them that his retirement was a HOAX. He's back coaching now. Lol!

Kubiak was trash here just like O'Brien was/is. I'll never let the Aggies of this place slander him as a great HC here when he was given his own hand picked GM and all types of ridiculous power to pick players and build his team, and he routinely failed.

No amounts of OB embarrassments are ever going to change that or the humiliation people get when they try to suggest that Kubiak wasn't hot garbage here. The fact that all you have to try and bring up tenures on other teams makes the entire standard of what a good HC is as pathetic as it can get. Facts are facts. Kubiak was a major failure here. O'Brien is a major failure here. "Fans that try and mansplain either one of these clowns are major failures as fans."

Kubiak was trash here just like O'Brien was/is. I'll never let the Aggies of this place slander him as a great HC here when he was given his own hand picked GM and all types of ridiculous power to pick players and build his team, and he routinely failed.

No amounts of OB embarrassments are ever going to change that or the humiliation people get when they try to suggest that Kubiak wasn't hot garbage here. The fact that all you have to try and bring up tenures on other teams makes the entire standard of what a good HC is as pathetic as it can get. Facts are facts. Kubiak was a major failure here. O'Brien is a major failure here. "Fans that try and mansplain either one of these clowns are major failures as fans."

Pretty much.

Lol, he had those multiple rings at various stops of coaching when he arrived here too & how'd that work out for the Texans? There are also multiple HoF players on record whom said they couldn't stand their HoF coaches. Guess b/c none of those guys had flowery articles written about them by their former players we should read into it that that those guys weren't really that good of a coach right?

DB, I love you dude, but that's just terrible rationale & the only people here really slicing & dicing are you guys for Kubiak. He & his offense had about as much to do with winning that SB as say any number of the guys who played ST that year. For all the bragging 76 is trying to point out about how "great" his scheme was here & in Denver, It, nor his great coaching never led to anything here. I also already pointed out how terrible his offense was that season in Denver & throughout the playoffs upthread. They barely scored 30 TDs on offense the entire year. To put that into perspective, BoB & his sporadic offense was able to muster up more than that with the Brian Hoyerable and Ryan Toilett in 2015.

There's no real fundamental distinction between BoB or Kubiak's tenure here except for folks looking to try to make one for reasons other than football.

If Wade's defense isn't shutting some of the best offenses in the NFL down, Kubiak Denver tenure would've wound up the same way his tenure here did...mediocore & uninspiring.

Last edited:
Back