Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O'Brien gained respect

Fred

Veteran
Lets revisit this when he does the same thing in the playoffs ….

Two good games do not a season make.
Or a career. It's like being married to an alcoholic who usually comes home drunk and beats the tar out of you. All of a sudden he has been sober for two weekends in a row, and you want so desperately to believe that this is the new normal - but you have 6 years of experience saying that this is probably an aberration.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
But the arrow does appear to be pointing up.
You'll just have to forgive the optimism.

I think Fred's post nails it.
I'd like to be optimistic too …. but

Or a career. It's like being married to an alcoholic who usually comes home drunk and beats the tar out of you. All of a sudden he has been sober for two weekends in a row, and you want so desperately to believe that this is the new normal - but you have 6 years of experience saying that this is probably an aberration.
I'm expecting a regression to the norm.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Not sure OBrien deserves the credit when its been Watson at the LOS changing the plays and making it happen on 3rd down. Even the RPO stuff - it has been Deshauns good judgement that has led to great runs and open dump offs and intermediate routes.

I want to see MORE of Deshaun calling plays at the line. Seems to work pretty good. If OBrien needs credit for relaxing his tyrannical grip well then, lets send him some cookies or something.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
It's pretty hard for BOB gain respect around these parts.
respect is earned. Have to say I’m glad he’s evolving into the bigger picture what this opportunity given from ownership truly means to franchise, his players and most importantly the fans. Season ticket holders deserve nothing but the best for all the disappointment and heartbreak not only O’Brian, but Kubiak down to Capers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
respect is earned. Have to say I’m glad he’s evolving into the bigger picture what this opportunity given from ownership truly means to franchise, his players and most importantly the fans. Season ticket holders deserve nothing but the best for all the disappointment and heartbreak not only O’Brian, but Kubiak down to Capers.
Totally agree and I've been there from the beginning 9Probably spent 120,000 grand just on tickets alone. Finally Houston has a team where I feel like hey have a chance to win without luck against any team they play. Why, because they finally fixed the foundation of the team (The OL) and are reaping the rewards of this decision. To think this is BOB's 1st yr where he's got full control. I'm loving his vision of the future of Texans on field product.

I never said BOB is the best HC in the NFL. (He's middle of the pack) But I really respected the job he did last yr with a crap OL and a beat up team. To get 11 wins out of that group tells me he did a great job.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I meant all the negative things I’ve said about BoB but he called a great game. I give him extra credit for not only beating a super bowl contender on the road especially after starting off the game I’m such a schitty way. Matter of fact if Fuller and kaimi-wake-wide-right had done their damn jobs this would’ve been a blowout.

Finally this team looks like it took a step forward. Now I’m not going to say BoB has proven me wrong until he advances in the playoffs. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. And if the Texans don’t follow this win up with a win against Indy we’re back to square one. I’m happy today. Good job BoB good job team!!

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
OB restored my optimism in the team and what it can. Do I have confidence in OB that he won’t regress. Not yet. But stringing two back to back wins is a first for him. Plus he didn’t get out coached and beat a team that we normally don’t beat. I still need to see more from OB to have confidence in him. But I do have optimism and he moved that needle quite a bit.

As others have pointed out:

We won this game running the ball with RBs OB went out and got.

We won this game with a OL that OB went out and got.

We won this game with OBs offense.

He put the pieces together and got it done.

Color me surprised.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Here's the thing people will always find something when the goal posts keep moving. First is was "Lets see him have the team ready to go in the first game." He did that, defense dropped the ball on that and Colvin in particular. Then it was "Lets see him change it up, turn Watson loose and win a game". He did that, Watson, based on the last two games, is playing an offense he seems to be much more comfortable with and its completely different than anything BoB has called before which led to us making the Falcons look like a high school game and a, literally, HoF performance from Watson. Then it was "Well lets see him beat one of the big name teams and lets see him win a big game on the road." He did both of those thing, we beat the Chiefs, who many considered to be the odds on favorites to win the SB, in their house and the game plan, Keep Mahomes on the bench, may not have been perfect but it was exactly what was required.

I'm not ready to forgive and forget by any means and I still wouldn't cry if he was fired tomorrow but when he meets all the marks and its still not enough then its time to just admit you will never be happy with him. Oh and "Win a SB" is not a realistic mark because if that was the case only BB would last past a year or two. I've said before but Reid has had no more success in KC than BoB has in Houston.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Yep.

Hasn't gained any respect from me. An "Atta boy" but that's about it.

Lets build momentum and keep it going and see how well prepared this team can be in the playoffs. Once that is finally accomplished then we can talk about respect. O'Brien has a long road to travel back from before that is going to be given back to him.

frethack

Rookie
OB restored my optimism in the team and what it can. Do I have confidence in OB that he won’t regress. Not yet. But stringing two back to back wins is a first for him. Plus he didn’t get out coached and beat a team that we normally don’t beat. I still need to see more from OB to have confidence in him. But I do have optimism and he moved that needle quite a bit.

Color me surprised.
Its difficult to admit it, but you are correct.

We overpaid a bit for Duke Johnson, but looking at the RB group, Ill pay a 3rd and Martinas Rankin all day for the production they have given...as long as it continues.

Tunsil was VERY expensive, but he has been a monster since week 2. We may have been in position to draft someone of his caliber over the next two seasons if Watson kept getting mauled on the field, but its possible we would also be in the market for a new QB as well. We overpaid for a stout garage to protect our Ferrari. The two rookies also have been settling in nicely as well...hate to see Howard go down though. He was really coming along once he was settled at RT.

The offensive changes have been a revelation. DW4 made a few curious remarks that I had not heard before after Sundays game. He said that the offense was executing OB *and* Kellys vision of the offense. Not sure if Im over thinking it, but Ive never heard anyone refer to Kellys vision...anyone else heard this before? Perhaps Kelly has a bigger hand in how things are run...who knows.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Its difficult to admit it, but you are correct.

We overpaid a bit for Duke Johnson, but looking at the RB group, Ill pay a 3rd and Martinas Rankin all day for the production they have given...as long as it continues.

Tunsil was VERY expensive, but he has been a monster since week 2. We may have been in position to draft someone of his caliber over the next two seasons if Watson kept getting mauled on the field, but its possible we would also be in the market for a new QB as well. We overpaid for a stout garage to protect our Ferrari. The two rookies also have been settling in nicely as well...hate to see Howard go down though. He was really coming along once he was settled at RT.

The offensive changes have been a revelation. DW4 made a few curious remarks that I had not heard before after Sundays game. He said that the offense was executing OB *and* Kellys vision of the offense. Not sure if Im over thinking it, but Ive never heard anyone refer to Kellys vision...anyone else heard this before? Perhaps Kelly has a bigger hand in how things are run...who knows.
Maybe Kelly introduced OB to Madden NFL 20. OB had been playing Tecmo Bowl.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Not sure OBrien deserves the credit when its been Watson at the LOS changing the plays and making it happen on 3rd down. Even the RPO stuff - it has been Deshauns good judgement that has led to great runs and open dump offs and intermediate routes.

I want to see MORE of Deshaun calling plays at the line. Seems to work pretty good. If OBrien needs credit for relaxing his tyrannical grip well then, lets send him some cookies or something.
I think the big difference is how Watson is approaching the game. The playing calling is better, but really not that much different. The online is better, but much of the improvement is Watson getting rid of the ball quickly. The big change I see is Watson is not married to the big play like he has been in the past and that has radically changed this offense.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Colts fan here. We can't take credit for that. The Patriots laid out the blue print last year. Good win Texans. Now you have a shot at the 1st or second seed provided someone beats the Patriots two or three times.
Yep, well said (I was going to point out the same thing unless someone else mentioned the conference championship last year). Leave it to the genius of Belichick to figure out the lock and create the key to open it.

Kudos to O'Brien for adapting to an effective (and proven) game plan against the Chiefs. Now let's see him do it again vs. the Colts. I think that might be a tougher win, tbh.

As far as folks waiting for regression and reverting, I get it. My gut says the same thing.

That said, I'm putting my confidence in Deshaun Watson. Anything is possible with that dude behind center. Houston finally has an elite QB after many decades of futility.

Battle between the head and the heart. They always seem to be at odds with each other.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Lets revisit this when he does the same thing in the playoffs ….

Two good games do not a season make.
But the arrow does appear to be pointing up.
You'll just have to forgive the optimism.
I think Fred's post nails it.
I'd like to be optimistic too …. but

I'm expecting a regression to the norm.
Meh, we have some good young talent still on a steep learning curve. Not to mention the oline seems to be performing better.
We keep on improving and any regression could really only come from key injuries.

Reactions: ROO

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think the big difference is how Watson is approaching the game. The playing calling is better, but really not that much different. The online is better, but much of the improvement is Watson getting rid of the ball quickly. The big change I see is Watson is not married to the big play like he has been in the past and that has radically changed this offense.
This.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep they're running something closer to the Clemson offense (Did you see the option and RPO's Watson ran last game) this also only requires Watson to read 1/2 the field.

Reactions: ROO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep.

Hasn't gained any respect from me. An "Atta boy" but that's about it.

Lets build momentum and keep it going and see how well prepared this team can be in the playoffs. Once that is finally accomplished then we can talk about respect. O'Brien has a long road to travel back from before that is going to be given back to him.
Hopefully the CB group will be fully healthy by playoff time.

When did BOB lose your respect? I know you used to be a supporters of his, much more than I am.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yep they're running something closer to the Clemson offense (Did you see the option and RPO's Watson ran last game) this also only requires Watson to read 1/2 the field.
Are you saying they are only asking Watson to see 1/2 the field the last 2 games?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Color me surprised.
BOB adjusted his offense to do things Watson is comfortable with like Option/RPO's and short passes.

Back to Back wins? Didn't they win 9 in a row last yr?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are you saying they are only asking Watson to see 1/2 the field the last 2 games?
Yes

Different depths, but only 1/2 the field. Go look at last game and you will notice he only threw from the middle of the field to the side he was originally looking at. This cut down on the number of progressions (2 or 3 at the most.) and if they weren't open Watson would take off running.

When you're running RPO you're really only looking at a 1/3 of the field. It's working and kudos for BOB being willing to change the offense to fit Watson's strengths.

Last edited:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yes

Different depths, but only 1/2 the field. Go look at last game and you will notice he only threw from the middle of the field to the side he was originally looking a. This cut down on the number of progressions (2 or 3 at the most.) and if they weren't open Watson would take off running.

When you're running RPO you're really only looking at a 1/3 of the field. It's working and kudos for BOB being willing to change the offense to fit Watson's strengths.
Maybe, but I find this hard to believe and think it would be easy to stop.

2:56 mark, play action play, he looks right initially but throws left:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe, but I find this hard to believe and think it would be easy to stop.

2:56 mark, play action play, he looks right initially but throws left:

You may find a play here or there, but over all he's looking middle to the outside on most of his passes.

Certainly this is the case with the RPO.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I liked the 4th and 3 play call to ice the game. Stacked the receivers and actually schemed open a WR.
I wonder how much credit we should give OB here or is the new “OC” putting these plays in the game plan and OB is using them.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I liked the 4th and 3 play call to ice the game. Stacked the receivers and actually schemed open a WR.
I wonder how much credit we should give OB here or is the new “OC” putting these plays in the game plan and OB is using them.
Don't forget about Smith. I think it's a combo of all 3 and Watson having a little more confidence and facing bad defenses

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
BOB adjusted his offense to do things Watson is comfortable with like Option/RPO's and short passes.

Back to Back wins? Didn't they win 9 in a row last yr?
That was last year and this is a what have you done for me lately league. He also had to revamp his offense and his play calling has always been suspect.

However - aren’t the short passes and quick releases one of the staples of the Brady offense?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That was last year and this is a what have you done for me lately league. He also had to revamp his offense and his play calling has always been suspect.

However - aren’t the short passes and quick releases one of the staples of the Brady offense?
A very hard crowd.

Yes they are a staple of the Pats offense, although I dont think the option/RPO is part of the Pats offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I dont care who gets the credit.

I'm just glad they went for it.

Although I'm loving how some posters are trying to deflect credit from where credit is due.

Not speaking about you. Hope y'all had a great time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't agree there was much at all over the middle all season. Until O'Brien made the changes.

Even the "freeze frames" of open receivers were to the flat.
After each game I pointed out to you the TE was open in the middle of the field several times. Yes, the RB in the flat was also open. But I get why you're being the way you're being. The last couple of weeks must be killing you.

I'm sure when they start playing tougher defenses and score 30-50 pts you'll be back to your normal self. It's kinda hard to have a football discussion with somebody who doesn't understand what throwing guys open means.

Last edited:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
After each game I pointed out to you the TE was open in the middle of the field several times. Yes, the RB in the flat was also open. But I get why you're being the way you're being. The last couple of weeks must be killing you.

I'm sure when they start playing tougher defenses and score 30-50 pts you'll be back to your normal self. It's kinda hard to have a football discussion with somebody who doesn't understand what throwing guys open means.
No those two or 3 freeze frames showed guys in the flat or two yard from the line of scrimmage. It was dumb.

And how are they killing me? I've thought OBrien was holding Watson back. You said Watson wasn't even a good qb

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No those two or 3 freeze frames showed guys in the flat or two yard from the line of scrimmage. It was dumb.

And how are they killing me? I've thought OBrien was holding Watson back. You said Watson wasn't even a good qb
I never said Watson wasn't a good QB.

I should have said BOB needs to use the offense that Watson is most comfortable with and he did just that with predictable results. They have faced weak defenses though. The Colts have a good defense but I expect Watson to do well. Not as well as the last 2 weeks but still very well.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Colts have a linebacker and a safety returning this week which will make their defense even better. They completely shut down the Chiefs running game to just 2.6 yards each Carry. I see us getting a w but it will be a very important game.

Phillip Gaines needs to be a nickle inside CB with Crossen and Lonnie Johnson on the outside. Crossen surprised many with his rapid improvement with the New England Patriots. As he gets the Playbook down I expect to see him become a very good player. Unfortunately he's got to learn on the Run. Hopefully the OJT of Roderick Johnson and the corners I just mentioned will be great for us going into the playoffs and next season. If Only They can hold it together a couple more months.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Here's the thing people will always find something when the goal posts keep moving. First is was "Lets see him have the team ready to go in the first game." He did that, defense dropped the ball on that and Colvin in particular. Then it was "Lets see him change it up, turn Watson loose and win a game". He did that, Watson, based on the last two games, is playing an offense he seems to be much more comfortable with and its completely different than anything BoB has called before which led to us making the Falcons look like a high school game and a, literally, HoF performance from Watson. Then it was "Well lets see him beat one of the big name teams and lets see him win a big game on the road." He did both of those thing, we beat the Chiefs, who many considered to be the odds on favorites to win the SB, in their house and the game plan, Keep Mahomes on the bench, may not have been perfect but it was exactly what was required.

I'm not ready to forgive and forget by any means and I still wouldn't cry if he was fired tomorrow but when he meets all the marks and its still not enough then its time to just admit you will never be happy with him. Oh and "Win a SB" is not a realistic mark because if that was the case only BB would last past a year or two. I've said before but Reid has had no more success in KC than BoB has in Houston.

The goalpost has never moved for me.

My expectations of this team going into the season was 12 wins and a sweep of the division. They clearly have the most talent in this division and most certainly have the best QB.

For me , its always been about what happens in the post season.

Where we are now ? Pretty much on track losing to the Aints was expected. Didn't expect that loss to Carolina , really believe the Texans are the more talented team … then they turn around and beat a conference opponent on the road I didn't think they would beat.

Basically right on track for my expectations to be met in terms of the regular season win total.

That win against KC did change one thing , my expectations for playoff seeding , I figured they'd be a #3 seed but beating the Chiefs opens the door to a #2 seed. Sweep this division and you pretty much lock it up.

Where my expectations end is in the playoffs …. against the Pats , Chiefs and Ravens .

Even as the #2 seed you'll face two of the three , assuming you beat the first one.

I just don't expect OB to match wits with those guys and come out on top when it matters …. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It does look like it from those highlights. Anyone else have thoughts?

We are not running anything close to Clemson offense. We just moved from the long developing plays to the real EP system. Which requires the receivers to run more short routes.

Dink and donk, run the ball and then hit them over the top. Every so often since you have a running quarterback, throw in the designed qb run.

Steel is really trying to stick to his agenda. And he's actually doing a disservice to Watson's.

Bill O'Brien has set his pride aside for the betterment of his team. He has scrapped those long developing plays and started running these short routes just like the Patriots and several other teams.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
We are not running anything close to Clemson offense. We just moved from the long developing plays to the real EP system. Which requires the receivers to run more short routes.

Dink and donk, run the ball and then hit them over the top. Every so often since you have a running quarterback, throw in the designed qb run.

Steel is really trying to stick to his agenda. And he's actually doing a disservice to Watson's.

Bill O'Brien has set his pride aside for the betterment of his team. He has scrapped those long developing plays and started running these short routes just like the Patriots and several other teams.
Agree 100%. The RPO is just a play in the offense. If it cuts the field in half and reduces the reads, a bootleg in Kubiak's offense does the same thing. The objective is the same and similar to the bootlegs and play action passes, the RPO doesn't work if you cannot run the ball. The KC defense is terrible against the run, that is why you saw more RPO this game. It wasn't a scheme change. It was an implementation of plays in the offense.

O'Brien's play calling has changed. The slow developing routes had WRs running into the heart of the Cover 4 defenses. They were also the first reads. As a result, Watson held the ball waiting for the big play and was slow with his progressions to the other levels. They have made a concerted effort to target the TEs, use quicker passes, run shorter routes. If teams are playing Cover 4, they are running more outs. They are doing things any competent OC would do help his young QB and to counter the other teams copying what the Panthers did to the offense.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

My expectations of this team going into the season was 12 wins and a sweep of the division. They clearly have the most talent in this division and most certainly have the best QB.

Where we are now ? Pretty much on track losing to the Aints was expected. Didn't expect that loss to Carolina , really believe the Texans are the more talented team … then they turn around and beat a conference opponent on the road I didn't think they would beat.

Basically right on track for my expectations to be met in terms of the regular season win total.

That win against KC did change one thing , my expectations for playoff seeding , I figured they'd be a #3 seed but beating the Chiefs opens the door to a #2 seed. Sweep this division and you pretty much lock it up.

Where my expectations end is in the playoffs …. against the Pats , Chiefs and Ravens .

Even as the #2 seed you'll face two of the three , assuming you beat the first one.

I just don't expect OB to match wits with those guys and come out on top when it matters …. Anything beyond that is gravy.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except about sweeping the division. People have bought into this "The AFCS is the weakest division" line way to much. What the AFCS doesn't have that most other divisions do is one completely dominate team. You could argue that's because all 4 teams are weak but that doesn't explain when Tits spank the Browns or both Texans and Colts beat the Chiefs in their house and that's just this year, you can look back on previous years and see lots more examples. Seriously name me one other division that has 3 or even all 4 teams that actually people could see in the playoffs. Not saying they'll win or even make the SB but where no one would really be surprised to see them compete for a spot.

Like I said everything else I pretty much agree with though I do think you are overestimating Reid in the playoffs. Since he got to KC he has sucked just as much as BoB has in Houston and their fan base is screaming for his head just like we were, and very well may again, BoB's a couple of weeks ago.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I don't agree there was much at all over the middle all season. Until O'Brien made the changes.

Even the "freeze frames" of open receivers were to the flat.
If Watson’s first reads are the slow developing routes to Hopkins or Fuller and then Watson is holding the ball waiting on Hopkins or Fuller by the time he gets to the TEs, it’s too late. The TEs were not his first read.

Even before Watson got here, the game plans would ignore the TEs for weeks. Regardless if they were open or not. You are right about the flats being open. That’s the weakness of the defenses they are facing and instead of just challenging the defense vertically and running into coverages, they are now willing to attack horizontally.

IMHO, if your opinion is that Watson cannot run O’Brien’s potent and sophisticated version of the EP offense, when they go to the quick passing game, the narrative will be, “BOB is running the spread because Watson is a one read QB.” If they use RPO, “BOB is running RPO because Watson can only read 1/2 the field or they are running Clemson’s offense”. See a pattern?

It’s hilarious that O’Brien is finally calling plays were the TEs are being targeted as the first option instead of check downs or being glorified blockers. He is not calling as many slow developing plays as usual. He is calling combination routes, more bunch formations, and making the game easier for his young QB. Watson is getting rid of the ball and going through his progression quicker. Fans are applauding BOB for making changes to the offense and SteelB thinks BOB is running someone else’s offense. Go figure.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
According to Lance Zierlein, Tim Kelly is calling the plays. We can now add play calling to the number of things the Texans do that we have no idea who is making the decisions.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

12-4 with that schedule

Sweep the division after seeing the Colts run the ball down the Texans throat in the playoffs?

Playing the Chiefs/Pats/Baltimore/Chargers?

Man you have high expectations.

Gravy?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Watson’s first reads are the slow developing routes to Hopkins or Fuller and then Watson is holding the ball waiting on Hopkins or Fuller by the time he gets to the TEs, it’s too late. The TEs were not his first read.

Even before Watson got here, the game plans would ignore the TEs for weeks. Regardless if they were open or not. You are right about the flats being open. That’s the weakness of the defenses they are facing and instead of just challenging the defense vertically and running into coverages, they are now willing to attack horizontally.

IMHO, if your opinion is that Watson cannot run O’Brien’s potent and sophisticated version of the EP offense, when they go to the quick passing game, the narrative will be, “BOB is running the spread because Watson is a one read QB.” If they use RPO, “BOB is running RPO because Watson can only read 1/2 the field or they are running Clemson’s offense”. See a pattern?

It’s hilarious that O’Brien is finally calling plays were the TEs are being targeted as the first option instead of check downs or being glorified blockers. He is not calling as many slow developing plays as usual. He is calling combination routes, more bunch formations, and making the game easier for his young QB. Watson is getting rid of the ball and going through his progression quicker. Fans are applauding BOB for making changes to the offense and SteelB thinks BOB is running someone else’s offense. Go figure.
How many options/RPO's have you seen Brady run. If you cant see the difference in the offenses I dont know what to tell you. Yes, they have Watson doing what he's comfortable with giving him 1-2 reads on half the field. The difference in the type of offense being run is night and day.

As far as the TE thingy goes, they threw to the TE, Remember Fiedo retired from the concussions he received. Griffin stayed concussed etc... The last 2 yrs they had to keep the TE's in to help the crappy OT play.

Look, can you just get on board with me and be glad that the changes to the offense that needed to be made were finally made.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
According to Lance Zierlein, Tim Kelly is calling the plays. We can now add play calling to the number of things the Texans do that we have no idea who is making the decisions.
I thought BOB was a tyrant/Control freak. If what LZ said is true then kudos to BOB for taking this off his plate. He had far too much on his plate. That was one of his biggest issues.