Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O'Brien gained respect

It's everyone else's fault but Obrien. But all parties are inconsistent. Bill O'Brien, Watson and RAC's defense, you name it. Some are saying this team goes as far as Watson takes them. That's partially right. It goes as far as Obrien and RAC's defense takes them.

Agreed. The QB is 1 piece of the puzzle. He doesn't call the plays. He tries to execute them. Results may vary. I'm just tired of the same old BS that 1 particular QB isn't "grasping" some "genius'" system, when said "genius" has made exactly ZERO QB's better in his/their career. Tom Brady was great before and after OB. Deshaun Watson could be great with a better coach who plays to his strengths. No, that does not mean implementing a college system.

O'Brien could be a great coach at some point. (I have my doubts)

I'm just not willing to go the Bengals route and continuing to let a mediocre coach do mediocre things and extending mediocrity for a decade plus.
The question usually asked after a statement like that is: "Well what coach would you get?" My answer: I don't know. What we've been doing in hiring coaches clearly hasn't worked. Be bold. It may not work....but has it worked with what we've been given at HC yet?

So if O'Brien gained respect last game, and EVERYBODY HAD TO chime in with warm, fuzzy nice things to say, and we sat around the bonfire and were happy and oozed with positivity and hugged and apologized for all the mean things each side said to one another - and then you get a game like yesterday!

Its just like the harmful cycle of domestic abuse. Ugly Monster Man slaps face, get sad, fight, throw things, keep distance. Talk. Work it out. Happy for a few days, things look great, future is bright AND SMACK another slap to the face.

Constant love and hate battle, "overcoming" problems, "getting somewhere" but in reality they are just excuses to perpetuate the activity.

Best thing an abused person can do is just walk away and start fresh.

My instincts always tell me to avoid optimism. It feels foolish. But I ignored my instincts, "hoping" for once that this coaching staff had finally figured it out, and then we get yesterday. So many things wrong, and it feels like it all starts with O'Brien.

I believe in Deshaun. Yeah, he's young, but he is getting experience. And he's got championship potential and talent.

But, it's being wasted with O'Brien's nonsense.

Cal needs to wake the eff up and realize that he's got a window here. Open it, kick O'Brien out of it, and go about finding someone that can immediately impact this team.

My instincts always tell me to avoid optimism. It feels foolish. But I ignored my instincts, "hoping" for once that this coaching staff had finally figured it out, and then we get yesterday. So many things wrong, and it feels like it all starts with O'Brien.

I believe in Deshaun. Yeah, he's young, but he is getting experience. And he's got championship potential and talent.

But, it's being wasted with O'Brien's nonsense.

Cal needs to wake the eff up and realize that he's got a window here. Open it, kick O'Brien out of it, and go about finding someone that can immediately impact this team.

Part of that problem is that once he does that, this window is likely closed at least for a little while. Once a new regime comes in, it likely has to make so many changes and roster adjustments depending on what type of system it wants to run and what types of players it needs compared to what we already have and how they fit. That being said, IT STILL NEEDS TO BE DONE. It doesn't mean that for sure the window temporarily closes either. Some teams respond beautifully and transition right away into an even better team like the Packers right now or when the Bucs won the SB under Gruden or how quickly the Niners got better with Harbaugh (Hint, Hint :fingergun:). I think that Cal needs to realize that getting rid of OB isn't going to be some major controversial decision that he'll have to worry about long term or even short term. OB isn't considered a great coach really anywhere, so he doesn't need to be as cautious about this as he may feel like he needs to be.

This, what you just said, is my CHIEF complaint about the Texans. You just don't know what to expect. They can beat your ass one week and look like champions and the next week they look like dog sh!t.

That is a lot of NFL teams right now though.

It isn't exclusive to the Texans where we can make this complaint specific to just them unfortunately. It is an irritating problem none the less though.

So if O'Brien gained respect last game, and EVERYBODY HAD TO chime in with warm, fuzzy nice things to say, and we sat around the bonfire and were happy and oozed with positivity and hugged and apologized for all the mean things each side said to one another - and then you get a game like yesterday!

Its just like the harmful cycle of domestic abuse. Ugly Monster Man slaps face, get sad, fight, throw things, keep distance. Talk. Work it out. Happy for a few days, things look great, future is bright AND SMACK another slap to the face.

Constant love and hate battle, "overcoming" problems, "getting somewhere" but in reality they are just excuses to perpetuate the activity.

Best thing an abused person can do is just walk away and start fresh.

This is just the nature of the NFL. Opinions change drastically from week to week. It’s that way here with Jameis. After he lit up the Rams in LA 3 weeks ago everyone was saying that he’s turned the corner, he’s a franchise QB, the Bucs will be extending him, etc.

Now it’s all about which QB will be available in the draft next year because Jameis sucks. He’ll probably light up the Titans this Sunday and people’s opinions will start to swing back the other way.

When I first saw this thread I started to post something like “give it a week and the Fire BOB thread will be back in full swing”. Consistency is a problem for many NFL teams not named the Patriots.

It's everyone else's fault but Obrien. But all parties are inconsistent. Bill O'Brien, Watson and RAC's defense, you name it. Some are saying this team goes as far as Watson takes them. That's partially right. It goes as far as Obrien and RAC's defense takes them.

Football is the ultimate team sport. You don't need to be perfect if you're elite in other areas, but you do have to do your job. I've seen Saints teams with historically bad defenses that it didn't matter what Brees did they weren't going to do a thing to win.

So as important as Watson is, easily the most important person on the field, if O'Brien and RAC don't do their parts it won't matter and vice versa. This is why it's important Watson works on the flaws of throwing in double coverage or the occasional bad throw that seems to routinely result in an INT. We can win with decent secondary play, a front 7 that gets pressure and offense line that doesn't get crushed every play and Watson playing at an elite level imo.

Agreed. The QB is 1 piece of the puzzle. He doesn't call the plays. He tries to execute them. Results may vary. I'm just tired of the same old BS that 1 particular QB isn't "grasping" some "genius'" system, when said "genius" has made exactly ZERO QB's better in his/their career. Tom Brady was great before and after OB. Deshaun Watson could be great with a better coach who plays to his strengths. No, that does not mean implementing a college system.

O'Brien could be a great coach at some point. (I have my doubts)

I'm just not willing to go the Bengals route and continuing to let a mediocre coach do mediocre things and extending mediocrity for a decade plus.
The question usually asked after a statement like that is: "Well what coach would you get?" My answer: I don't know. What we've been doing in hiring coaches clearly hasn't worked. Be bold. It may not work....but has it worked with what we've been given at HC yet?

The QB is young and still learning the NFL game.

I've been very critical of BOB for not changing the offense sonner and doing things Watson's good at doing.

But you only see what you want to see, or you have reading comprehension issues.

This is just the nature of the NFL. Opinions change drastically from week to week. It’s that way here with Jameis. After he lit up the Rams in LA 3 weeks ago everyone was saying that he’s turned the corner, he’s a franchise QB, the Bucs will be extending him, etc.

Now it’s all about which QB will be available in the draft next year because Jameis sucks. He’ll probably light up the Titans this Sunday and people’s opinions will start to swing back the other way.

When I first saw this thread I started to post something like “give it a week and the Fire BOB thread will be back in full swing”. Consistency is a problem for many NFL teams not named the Patriots.

So true

The QB position is the hardest position to learn in sports.

This is just the nature of the NFL. Opinions change drastically from week to week.
[/QUOTE]

I would label that only on the complete idiots that watch the NFL. For years and years we see teams go up and down especially in the first 4 games that end up changing in the next games 5-8. There are always teams that benefit from a soft schedule or take a while to get going sometimes from not being healthy in most cases. These "Prisoner of the moment" fans that radically change their views and opinions at times seem incapable of picking up on cues throughout a game and pay very little attention to detail and observations if they're flip flopping every week based on the volatility of the way a lot of these teams look. Its all about match ups and chemistry in the NFL and we've seen that for decades now.

Unfortunately the media has more guys like this than the fans now days and they exacerbate the problem mightily. The misleading stat reporting from the MSM analysts along with the sensationalized ways they inflate a team's potential or ignore great teams and players that are doing their thing causes a ton of fans to be just as confused and mislead as they are in the political world. It seems like the two go hand in hand these days.

I would label that only on the complete idiots that watch the NFL. For years and years we see teams go up and down especially in the first 4 games that end up changing in the next games 5-8. There are always teams that benefit from a soft schedule or take a while to get going sometimes from not being healthy in most cases. These "Prisoner of the moment" fans that radically change their views and opinions at times seem incapable of picking up on cues throughout a game and pay very little attention to detail and observations if they're flip flopping every week based on the volatility of the way a lot of these teams look. Its all about match ups and chemistry in the NFL and we've seen that for decades now.

Unfortunately the media has more guys like this than the fans now days and they exacerbate the problem mightily. The misleading stat reporting from the MSM analysts along with the sensationalized ways they inflate a team's potential or ignore great teams and players that are doing their thing causes a ton of fans to be just as confused and mislead as they are in the political world. It seems like the two go hand in hand these days.[/QUOTE]

There is more truth in this than we realize. The worst thing to ever happen to the world of politics was the 24 hr. news cycle because frankly there isn't enough things that happen without blowing something out of proportion or flat out making it up. The sports world is the same now, they have to get people excited so they keep buying the way overpriced tickets and don't blink when a guy that can throw a ball a few months out of the year gets paid a 100 times more than a guy that runs into a burning building to save lives every week.

That's why they are so in love with Mahomes its because he is flashy and he puts butts in seats just by being on the field. Not saying he isn't good but they seem to do this every few years, find the next guy that is going to be the "future of the sport" and hype the hell out of them like its the Pope coming to town.

This, what you just said, is my CHIEF complaint about the Texans. You just don't know what to expect. They can beat your ass one week and look like champions and the next week they look like dog sh!t.
I disagree. They have been very consistent since O'Brian walked in the door. We lose 71% of the time we play a winning team

For the first 5 years the teams we have beat have an average of .389 win percentage. So far the teams we have beat this year have a .393 win percentage. We are pretty much on schedule.

We are 12/30 .286 against winning teams in the O'Brian era.

The teams the Texans beat win/loss record.
2014: 9 Teams, 43/101 .299
2015: 9 Teams, 59/85 .410
2016: 9 Teams, 61/82/1 .427
2017: 4 Teams, 24/40 .375
2018: 11 Teams, 76/99 .434
2019: 4 Teams, 11/17 .393

The QB is young and still learning the NFL game.

I've been very critical of BOB for not changing the offense sonner and doing things Watson's good at doing.

But you only see what you want to see, or you have reading comprehension issues.

I thought the QB was stupid and wouldn't ever be able to grasp such a smart guys system?

Everyone has called for BOB to adjust the offense to a more Watson friendly system. You're not special in that regards. Use Watson's natural abilities instead of being a stubborn ahole who thinks he's an offensive genius.

If you call this criticizing BOB....I'd hate to see you praise him.

I see what people type. Just because you consistently want to bash a guy who deserves it occasionally, Watson, yet kiss a guys ass who is the actual problem of this teams failures....that's not reading comprehension. That's delusion on your part.

Edit: It was Rick Smith.....then it was Bob McNair.....then it was Brian Gaine....now it's Deshaun Watson.....What do they all have in common? Bill O'Brien.....yet EVERYONE ELSE is the more relevant problem in your eyes.

My instincts always tell me to avoid optimism. It feels foolish. But I ignored my instincts, "hoping" for once that this coaching staff had finally figured it out, and then we get yesterday.
^^^THIS^^^
I try to remain calm and not get too invested in the game. Never fails that I get too amped up wanting the team that beat the Chiefs. Then we get yesterday, like you said. It's so maddening. I had checked out emotionally after the 1st quarter.

^^^THIS^^^
I try to remain calm and not get too invested in the game. Never fails that I get too amped up wanting the team that beat the Chiefs. Then we get yesterday, like you said. It's so maddening. I had checked out emotionally after the 1st quarter.

That team we played also beat the Chiefs. It could be argued we took the Colts game plan & imitated them.

Back