Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NRG Stadium's Hazardous Turf

So do we have the 2014 version or the 2002 version?

The 2002 version IS the 2014 version ......... no changes have been made in the interim. However, these field should typically be replaced every 8-10 year. The bubble field has not been replaced almost 13 years later.

The 2002 version IS the 2014 version ......... no changes have been made in the interim. However, these field should typically be replaced every 8-10 year. The bubble field has not been replaced almost 13 years later.

I'm all for them upgrading the bubble field if there is a newer version available. That said, the bubble field gets very low usage.

I'm all for them upgrading the bubble field if there is a newer version available. That said, the bubble field gets very low usage.

I agree. But recently there has been concern by many over the toxicity of especially the rubber pellet component of Field Turf. Even without any wear, there is concern that degradation with time, there can be release of toxic agents, which could lead to numerous medical conditions including cancer. This is controversial, of course. The concerns and reports are mounting. Here is an article (link below) framed around the younger population that relates the basis of the concerns. Over the past year, I have received several bulletins from FDA concerning these same issues in both the younger and adult populations.

Toxic turf? What happens when those football and soccer fields deteriorate?

Video re. the same subject.

[/B]

I agree. But recently there has been concern by many over the toxicity of especially the rubber pellet component of Field Turf. Even without any wear, there is concern that degradation with time, there can be release of toxic agents, which could lead to numerous medical conditions including cancer. This is controversial, of course. The concerns and reports are mounting. Here is an article (link below) framed around the younger population that relates the basis of the concerns. Over the past year, I have received several bulletins from FDA concerning these same issues in both the younger and adult populations.

Unsettling and a bit disappointing. Not much of scientific substance in either link. But I guess it's early.
There are ways to assess what chemicals are released over time and a way - albeit not perfect - to "accelerate" time effects using heat and determine how the how fast the pellets and the artificial grass breaks down. Gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy spring immediately to mind for me.
Put some pellets in a bell jar, suck out the air (or not; O2 might contribute to the deterioration process), heat them up to fake aging, and hook them to a mass spec and see what the composition of the resulting compounds are. If there are potential carcinogens in the mix that outgas over time, we ought to freakin' find out.

[/B]

there was a big article not long ago about the subject. a college women's soccer coach (if i remember correctly) had more than one goalie diagnosed with cancer and decided to do some digging. turned out that goalies were diagnosed significantly higher than any other position and at an increased rate over the general public. the turf was the only real connection, specifically the rubber that goalies were more in contact with and inhaling. game situations are different, but in practice and warmups goalies spend a large part of their time working on their ability to dive and catch, and dive and recover - essentially finding creative ways to attack the ground.

this isn't the article i remember, but the first that popped up ...
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dai...etes-cancer-soccer-crumb-rubber-goalie-fields

That field looked to be falling apart. Clumps were flying left and right. We need to address that.

That field looked to be falling apart. Clumps were flying left and right. We need to address that.

when pigs fly and hell Freezes over

heck its took them lik wut 8 years to figure out what two do with the astrodome they said it will be something by the time the SB comes back to Houston I doubt that LOL

when pigs fly and hell Freezes over

heck its took them lik wut 8 years to figure out what two do with the astrodome they said it will be something by the time the SB comes back to Houston I doubt that LOL

There's still money to be extorted by local politicians using the old Dome, so actually doing what they said would be done if the Bond failed (razing it, as in tearing it down) is OUT OF THE QUESTION!

The field looks terrible for the Texas Bowl. They just painted over the end zones, you can still see the NFL logo and the Texans name.

The field looks terrible for the Texas Bowl. They just painted over the end zones, you can still see the NFL logo and the Texans name.

I know when you and I were at the Ravens game and I checked out the field through your binoculars, I was surprised how bad it looked on closer inspection. The seams were clearly evident, even to the point of seeing much of them sunken in and uneven. The seams are the inherent problem with this system.

Cheap, old Bob McNair is a fool for continuing to trot out that garbage field. Cell phone service and WiFi AVAILABLE IN EVERY OTHER NFL STADIUM is non-existent at NRG Stadium. He wants the Harris County taxpayer to pay for those improvements and I am sure he wants us to pay for a replacement to the garbage field we have. Bob McNair is a clown of an owner and an idiot. **** him and his stupid field and garbage team.

Cell phone service and WiFi AVAILABLE IN EVERY OTHER NFL STADIUM is non-existent at NRG Stadium.

For the record, I had fantastic cell phone service on my old East German military-surplus phone. I've got service through a Texans sponsor, though, so if you want good service at NRG Stadium, go with Verizon.

For the record, I had fantastic cell phone service on my old East German military-surplus phone. I've got service through a Texans sponsor, though, so if you want good service at NRG Stadium, go with Verizon.

I do have Verizon. What other excuse do you have. There have been numerous articles about shitty reception. It's a major problem that the Texans refuse to fix.

Cheap, old Bob McNair is a fool for continuing to trot out that garbage field. Cell phone service and WiFi AVAILABLE IN EVERY OTHER NFL STADIUM is non-existent at NRG Stadium. He wants the Harris County taxpayer to pay for those improvements and I am sure he wants us to pay for a replacement to the garbage field we have. Bob McNair is a clown of an owner and an idiot. **** him and his stupid field and garbage team.

I've heard about cell phone service troubles about every stadium in the NFL, domed stadiums being the worst of course. Most people go there to watch the games.

Does this mean you'll no longer follow the Texans? Personally, I'd love to be a billionaire clown and idiot like him.

btw, you come across like a teenager with a temper tantrum cuz they didn't get the color phone case they wanted

I do have Verizon. What other excuse do you have. There have been numerous articles about shitty reception. It's a major problem that the Texans refuse to fix.

lol! I'm not offering you an excuse, just anecdotal evidence that not everyone shares your eternal suffering at the hands of the evil and wicked Bob "Satan" McNair.

Our turf looks worse than most of the HS stadiums around here. Even the Deer Park Deer had a field that looked better than NRG. Weve got an expensive runnin back and a really expensive DE that I would prefer to have long and illustrious careers here.

The field needs a serious overhaul with how it's managed and maintained this offseason, i dont think its asking too much for that.

Seems to me field turf would be cheaper over the long term, if it were just a money issue.

I've been to 6 NFL stadiums and had terrible mobile reception at every single one of them with AT&T. It's not a Texans only problem.

Are there actually cell phone towers within NFL stadium properties?

Towers aren't needed inside a stadium. You have line of site with well positioned receptors. But interference is a problem which makes the competing anecdotal reports of good and bad reception perfectly believable.

Just recall the wave generator photos from school which show cancellation and magnification of waves from two sources and then add additional sources to see how uncertain the final product will be.

Towers aren't needed inside a stadium. You have line of site with well positioned receptors. But interference is a problem which makes the competing anecdotal reports of good and bad reception perfectly believable.

Well, that and the notion that they actively interfere with competing cell reception. I know, I know ... it's illegal and they would never do such a thing.

I've been to both the Ravens and Redskins stadiums, both sold out, and have not experienced any reception issues. But Verizon has excellent coverage here so yeah.

Just recall the wave generator photos from school which show cancellation and magnification of waves from two sources and then add additional sources to see how uncertain the final product will be.

I have a stucco (chicken metal wire matrix) and a metal construction home which is virtually impervious to wireless and cell signal transmission. Without special amplifiers and repeaters, my entire house is a "dead zone."

lol! I'm not offering you an excuse, just anecdotal evidence that not everyone shares your eternal suffering at the hands of the evil and wicked Bob "Satan" McNair.

2-14

Fixing the field/internet service costs $$$$, don't expect the McNair's to do the right things at the expense of turning a bigger profit.

Things will change if Hartmann wins his lawsuit and the expense will be passed on from the McNair's to the fanbase. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I'm sure that I don't want Watt stepping in another hole.

They have to be able to take the field in and out down to the bare cement floor for rodeo and other events. That's the reason for the pallets in the first place.

If McNair wanted field turf, trust me there would be field turf. Lawsuits tend to make these kinds of things workable. As you know.

Again, your ire is misplaced but I know you'll keep rollin' no matter what. The Texans are not a party to the lawsuit.

Really,

I thought Texans/HLS&R/Harris County/Whoever is in charge of the stadium were all parties to the lawsuit.

Regardless, if the lawsuit is lost the turf will be changed. IMHO

It's not a money issue. It's a rodeo issue.

I don't have extensive knowledge of field turf by any stretch, but can't field turf be installed and removed as needed? I'm assuming that's the conflict, that the rodeo needs concrete for the fil dirt. I'm guessing that field turf stadium pull up thier turf for concerts and such.

Except that they're already using artificial turf for HS and some college games.

They are. It isn't FieldTurf, it's a new version of Astroturf - AstroTuft GameDay Grass 3D60 Xtreme.

Really,

I thought Texans/HLS&R/Harris County/Whoever is in charge of the stadium were all parties to the lawsuit.

It's the County entity that owns the stadium and the management company they hired - Harris County Convention & Sports Corporation and SMG. The Texans are not. The case is currently set for trial 1/26/15.

They are. It isn't FieldTurf, it's a new version of Astroturf - AstroTuft GameDay Grass 3D60 Xtreme.

{Quote///} Better than the field that the Texans are currently playing on. IMHO Let Watt go down and then we will see how the fanbase reacts.

It's the County entity that owns the stadium and the management company they hired. The Texans are not.

So you're saying the McNair's have no say so in the type of field that is used, That their multi million $$$$ investments play on? I'm sorry I have a hard time believing that.

So you're saying the McNair's have no say so in the type of field that is used, That their multi million $$$$ investments play on? I'm sorry I have a hard time believing that.

Saying they don't have absolute say is not the same thing as saying they have no say. But they are not the owner of the stadium and while I'm sure their wishes will get heavy consideration the call is not theirs to make alone considering only their issues.

Since you're so hung up on the trial, I can guarantdamntee you one thing. In those lawyers' offices are statistical analysis of injuries around the NFL and all the opinion polling. We've discussed the latter many times. Based on that statistical analysis there hasn't been a settlement yet. Could come on the courthouse steps but if it was bad this would be a done deal already.

It's funny, in any other facet of life you'd be quick to label 99% of lawsuits frivolous. But this one fits your agenda.

Saying they don't have absolute say is not the same thing as saying they have no say. But they are not the owner of the stadium and while I'm sure their wishes will get heavy consideration the call is not theirs to make alone considering only their issues.

So do you think if McNair want the turf to be changed that it would be changed?

I don't know. I don't know the Rodeo and County people. I've heard stories the Rodeo people are very "our way." But bottom line, just don't know.

I've heard the same, and being as the Rodeo used the stadium for more venues and brings in much more money, the Rodeo will get their wishes. Though they may compromise with the Texans if it doesn't interfere with them too much

I've been to both the Ravens and Redskins stadiums, both sold out, and have not experienced any reception issues. But Verizon has excellent coverage here so yeah.

Those stadiums are also outdoor. I've been to both also from living in the region

This point cannot be stressed enough about stadium ownership versus tenants.

The reception is a legit issue and one that I was not arguing against. I only mentioned that I don't have a reception problem, but then again, I do not have a smart phone and rarely use any kind of service at games.

Here is a somewhat recent article that both validates the reception problems, but also highlights the problem associated with upgrading a stadium owned by the county:

It's a hangup: Cellphone use at NRG is haphazard

It's been a constant of Texans football, from the team's quest for a Super Bowl berth to fans burdened by NRG Stadium's underpowered, overloaded cellular antenna system, which in its current state is described as "the worst of the pack" by NFL officials.

------------------------

Technology upgrades aren't cheap. A Verizon spokeswoman says the company's new DAS will cost "into the millions." According to one person with knowledge of the project, the cost is about $15 million.

Miller said installation of Wi-Fi, which would handle data traffic and free the DAS for calls and texts, would cost about $5 million. Another party estimates operating expenses over 10 years would add another $5 million.

NRG Stadium is owned by Harris County, with the Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo as primary tenants. Deciding who pays the bills is always an issue.

------------------------

Texans president Jamey Rootes said fans "have been voicing game day connectivity concerns for the past few years, and we have consistently expressed those concerns" to the county. He also said the team "helped spearhead" the Verizon DAS upgrades.

"We'll continue to work diligently and creatively with Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation to hopefully introduce a Wi-Fi solution for the 2015 NFL season that will once again position NRG Stadium as a connectivity leader within professional sports," Rootes added.

Article

I see this problem being ignored for a little longer.....until they are forced to do something. I don't see this problem being ignored before the Super Bowl here..........not paying those millions will be Hell to pay with the bad PR it will bring down by the attendees.

I see this problem being ignored for a little longer.....until they are forced to do something. I don't see this problem being ignored before the Super Bowl here..........not paying those millions will be Hell to pay with the bad PR it will bring down by the attendees.

Why is the SB even an issue? They bring their own field in.

Back