Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NRG Stadium's Hazardous Turf

I think that the Texans should step back from everything and try to look at their problem differently. Buying the carpet they did to roll out over concrete was a bad idea (I believe) and this problem calls for some creative, out of the box type thinking.

Pallets. That's the system we are tied to. There's not going to be any full-time grass field grown in there. They're not going to go to a conventional artificial surface over concrete. Maybe they should be looking at redesigning/rethinking the trays. How deep are they? Can they be made deeper? What is their composition? How do they fit together and is there a way to lock them together tighter?

Is a tray-based artificial surface possible? Could one be designed that had under the turf material that closer approximated dirt?

This thing we're doing is catching more and more bad attention as time goes by. Clearly it's not working as well as the Texans expected so the obvious thing to do is go to work on the problem and reinvent the field.

This is where I am - look for improvement within the requirements for the facility.

DB's JJ Moses comments point to something I've said bears investigation -> the crew itself. Inconsistency is frequently a labor error rather than a design error. Has there been a crew or procedure change because the issue is coming up more in the last 3 years than in the 9 before?

This is where I am - look for improvement within the requirements for the facility.

DB's JJ Moses comments point to something I've said bears investigation -> the crew itself. Inconsistency is frequently a labor error rather than a design error. Has there been a crew or procedure change because the issue is coming up more in the last 3 years than in the 9 before?

Would it be the crew's fault though. The reason I believe there are larger creases formed are due to the edges of the grass and dirt fall off/get worn out. Whether it's caused by moving them or putting them together, the edges will round off or chamfer. So, two rounded edges put together causes a substantial crease. Brand new grass pallets = minimal creases. Like DB mentioned, bringing a new field in at the beginning of each season and leaving it would likely work a lot better than moving them in and out all year long.

Just my .02

I keep thinking about the depth of the pallets and how I keep hearing about the roots not being deep and tightly interconnected along with the edges being less stable due to there being absolutely no interconnection from one pallet to the next at those edges.

I think they should redesign the pallets. Make them deeper to encourage deeper root systems (yes, I know it adds weight and that's a factor) along with maybe changing the material along the edges. Maybe look for something that grass will grow in that holds its shape better? I'm not a groundskeeper or anything. I don't really know what I'm talking about here (and I know that) but I think that the long-term solution for the Texans and NRG is to come up with something new that (as you said) fits into the requirements of the facility.

I've seen enough things grown in artificial material to think that there's probably some way to fix this that still keeps natural grass in the stadium.

Would it be the crew's fault though. The reason I believe there are larger creases formed are due to the edges of the grass and dirt fall off/get worn out. Whether it's caused by moving them or putting them together, the edges will round off or chamfer. So, two rounded edges put together causes a substantial crease. Brand new grass pallets = minimal creases. Like DB mentioned, bringing a new field in at the beginning of each season and leaving it would likely work a lot better than moving them in and out all year long.

Just my .02

Can't leave it. It's not an option.

What you are talking about still strikes me as crew. One time they do it fast and loose and another they get it tight and pay attention to detail hence the inconsistency from game to game.

The field has gotten very high marks on reviews from players. The design has stayed consistent the entire time. Put those two together and it points to how well the installation is being done rather than the whole design. This could be as stupid as their procedure used to say each tray was brought in individually or a stack of no more than 3 and now they are stacking them 10 high to bring them into the stadium and all the extra weight is making the edge problems worse. Not saying that is the actual problem, just illustrating.

Just my .02

I think you nailed it. There will always be an inherent potential for bad seams when dealing with pallets. They cannot 'overgrow' the grass on the edges, because it needs roots to anchor. And with constantly moving them in & out throughout the season to accommodate non-Texans events, it would seem that the wear and tear on the individual pallets would exacerbate the situation.

It's not the grass ON the pallets themselves that seems to be a problem. It is the seams, and like 'cak mentioned, if it's not 100% quality control with EVERY installation, there will be continual inconsistencies with the system.

Can't leave it. It's not an option.

What you are talking about still strikes me as crew. One time they do it fast and loose and another they get it tight and pay attention to detail hence the inconsistency from game to game.

The field has gotten very high marks on reviews from players. The design has stayed consistent the entire time. Put those two together and it points to how well the installation is being done rather than the whole design. This could be as stupid as their procedure used to say each tray was brought in individually or a stack of no more than 3 and now they are stacking them 10 high to bring them into the stadium and all the extra weight is making the edge problems worse. Not saying that is the actual problem, just illustrating.

Then, imo, it will always have creases. Considering the design of the stadium, there's only two ways to handle it. Leave the pallet system the way it is or go with field turf.

I think field turf is inevitable

I think they should redesign the pallets.

It's not the grass ON the pallets themselves that seems to be a problem. It is the seams, and like 'cak mentioned, if it's not 100% quality control with EVERY installation, there will be continual inconsistencies with the system.

Well one thing is to improve the connectivity because right now there is none. They rely on weight not to shift. Make those things have a tight consistent way of connecting, not so much for shifting but for precision of installation.

Then, imo, it will always have creases. Considering the design of the stadium, there's only two ways to handle it. Leave the pallet system the way it is or go with field turf.

I think field turf is inevitable

Keeping pallets doesn't have to mean keeping these pallets.

Go to field turf and you're accepting a different set of increased injuries over grass.

Well one thing is to improve the connectivity because right now there is none. They rely on weight not to shift. Make those things have a tight consistent way of connecting, not so much for shifting but for precision of installation.

Keeping pallets doesn't have to mean keeping these pallets.

Go to field turf and you're accepting a different set of increased injuries over grass.

Interlocking pallet design?

Imo, it's not going to matter how the pallets are interlocked together. The grass and dirt will still round off around the edges, creating creases.

Interlocking pallet design?

In some fashion yes. Maybe they can figure out a retrofit. Don't know.

Imo, it's not going to matter how the pallets are interlocked together. The grass and dirt will still round off around the edges, creating creases.

If that's the case there should never have been any games (seasons) where the field rated so highly or was "near perfect."

In some fashion yes. Maybe they can figure out a retrofit. Don't know.

If that's the case there should never have been any games (seasons) where the field rated so highly or was "near perfect."

I reckon the field/pallets are near perfect when new. It's after they're moved several times where they have dirt knocked off, bumped around, etc

I reckon the field/pallets are near perfect when new. It's after they're moved several times where they have dirt knocked off, bumped around, etc

I don't know how the grass is originally placed in the trays, maintained, replaced, etc. That looks like another area for investigation, eg. maybe cutting and refilling the trays more often would improve things.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

I'm trying to picture how that conversation went.

Obviously the players are aware of a problem with the field, otherwise I'm not sure why that would even be a topic of discussion for them.

Even stronger evidence is that they are two ex-Texan players.

There have been a lot of complaints about the field, and understandably so.

I cannot figure out why anyone would think trays are a good idea.

Even the smallest seam with a cleat not hitting the ground evenly can cause injuries.

I don't know how the grass is originally placed in the trays, maintained, replaced, etc. That looks like another area for investigation, eg. maybe cutting and refilling the trays more often would improve things.

I would agree with this, but maintenance and grass costs would increase dramatically. Then again, I'd think Watt and his 100+ mill would be worth it to them.

You guys really need to get off the mangos. Here's a list of some of the players lost to significant knee or achilles injuries that weren't mauled by the NRG field.

Darnell Dockett, Peter Konz, Joe Hawley, Marquis Spruill, Morgan Cox, Sean Weatherspoon, Kapron Lewis, Brent Urban, Aaron Ross, Sean Lee, Robert Mathis, Joe McKnight, Knowshon Moreno, Victor Cruz, Usama Young, Kory Sheets, Travis Long, Doug Legursky, Kwame Geathers, Kendall Hunter, Anthony McCoy, Jake Long, Sam Bradford, Bernard Pollard, and Chris Neild.

And ALL of those injuries happened on natural grass surfaces. Not to mention RG3's ankle injury on a natural grass field.

On the artificial stuff:

Isaiah Pead, LaMarr Houston, Morris Claiburne, Nick Fairley, Stephen Tulloch, Bill Bentley, Jerod Mayo, Stevan Ridley, Glenn Foster, Jarius Byrd, Brian Williams, and Dee Milliner, just to name a few.

Guess what? Injuries happen any where on any field. Hell, DeAngelo Hall ripped his achilles going out for pizza.

Get off of this pallet system being the devil BS.

Right. Injuries are going to happen regardless so there is no need to add another element that will cause them.

The goal should be to minimize the injuries. Not ignore problems because they are going to happen anyways.

Unfortunately, so do I.

Then, in a few years, we can all beyotch about how our guys get injured when their foot gets stuck in the turf.

:vincepalm:

Of course.

Personally, coming from an era before field turf, I'd love to play on the stuff. Our field back then was grass, but when we'd play in artificial turf stadiums it was Astro Turf. I think a majority of the board will agree with me when I say Field Turf would've been a dream come true back then.

Obviously, I've never played at this level, but the height of suckage that was Astro Turf would still far outweigh Field Turf

Field temps 120+, dressing as a mummy to prevent burns from the turf and extra padding for what felt like landing on cement.

Grass is the obvious choice, but I think I could easily play on Field Turf.

You are extremely naive if you believe what you wrote. Remember McNair is stubborn and extremely cheap. He had Houston taxpayers pay for the new scoreboards and replay screens. He has had this same garbage field for over 12 years despite near unanimous agreement around the league that it is one of the worst fields in the NFL. NRG also doesn't have in-stadium WiFi which is available in virtually every other stadium in the NFL. Lack of cell phone signal in that stadium has been a problem for years and he hasn't done a damn thing about it. Cheap Bob McNair is expecting us taxpayers to fork over money for it yet that greedy SOB doesn't open the roof that WE PAID FOR when every fan I met was wanting it open. McNair is a petty, small-minded fool and who knows what stupid reason he has for keeping his shitty field. He knows it's a problem and hasn't done **** to fix it. This is par for the course for Bob and you should wake up and realize it.

I am reporting you to the owner of this board for your ridiculous behavior.

You should be stripped of being a moderator. I'm letting the board owner know.

Duuuuuuuuuude.... Too much chemtrail for you.

Of course.

Personally, coming from an era before field turf, I'd love to play on the stuff. Our field back then was grass, but when we'd play in artificial turf stadiums it was Astro Turf. I think a majority of the board will agree with me when I say Field Turf would've been a dream come true back then.

Obviously, I've never played at this level, but the height of suckage that was Astro Turf would still far outweigh Field Turf

Field temps 120+, dressing as a mummy to prevent burns from the turf and extra padding for what felt like landing on cement.

Grass is the obvious choice, but I think I could easily play on Field Turf.
I played on the old Astrodome turf. It was far worse than what we had at Alief Stadium or Tully.

The seams alone would've had guys from that era laughing at the grass "seam" issue now.

Right. Injuries are going to happen regardless so there is no need to add another element that will cause them.

The goal should be to minimize the injuries. Not ignore problems because they are going to happen anyways.

There's not a field out there "causing" any more injuries than any other is the point. There isn't a problem to ignore. Players blow knees on all grass fields, on artificial fields, on pallet fields, and going to get pizza.

Are the Redskins ignoring a problem with their all grass field for what it did to Griffin's ankle? No, because there is no problem to ignore.

Until players start wearing hover cleats, they're going to blow knees and achilles on any surface.

Not saying the Texans can't try to improve their system, but to have this witch hunt on their field is ridiculous.

Personally I think the NFL needs to go back to full grass fields to slow the game down a bit, and reduce the risk of lower limb injuries and concussions.

I would love to see a concussion test on field turf vs. grass.

McNair and the Texans need to change the turf -- just so we
can move on from this.

It's turning into a constant distraction and giving the organization
a negative reputation.

I wonder if that could be adapted to a pallet system? Possibly a deeper tray with linking connectors on the sides? These are definitely the kind of people the Texans need to be talking to.

I agree with the sentiment that something needs to change if for no other reason than that the existing field/system is becoming a distraction. Maybe that's a change in how it's done and maybe it's a change in what they are assembling but the change needs to happen and it needs to be visible and widely reported. It's time to nip this growing belief that the field is a problem in the bud by solving the problem.

There's not a field out there "causing" any more injuries than any other is the point. There isn't a problem to ignore.

According to NFL players that have played in Reliant, there is.

Just because something is already inherently dangerous doesn't mean you don't make it safer.

It's like putting a safety on a gun. Hey what's the point of a safety? People are still going to have accidents anyways...

Why wear your seat belt? People still die in wrecks.

The point is, if you can do something to make the field safer, you should.

According to NFL players that have played in Reliant, there is.

According to a handful. According to 85+% there are more injuries on artificial fields.

The point is, if you can do something to make the field safer, you should.

Then every stadium should be natural grass grown in an enclosed single use stadium with artificial lights.

I wonder if that could be adapted to a pallet system? Possibly a deeper tray with linking connectors on the sides? These are definitely the kind of people the Texans need to be talking to.

I agree with the sentiment that something needs to change if for no other reason than that the existing field/system is becoming a distraction. Maybe that's a change in how it's done and maybe it's a change in what they are assembling but the change needs to happen and it needs to be visible and widely reported. It's time to nip this growing belief that the field is a problem in the bud by solving the problem.

It wouldn't. NRG's pallets are 7 1/2 inches tall.....and that's including the drainage layer. The actual sod/grass depth within the pallet is only 4 1/2 inches. The Grassmaster system would require almost 2 feet in height for their filaments to be structurally stable along with additional depth for a natural drainage to occur.

Here is an email exchange I had with Ayers when the question of increasing the size of the pallets to decrease the number of seams. Weight and size has its limits. So do successful grass-growing factors.
Dear Sirs,

Are there size limitations (or optimizations) of the pallet dimensions as they relate to how the pallets are used at NRG Stadium, possibly due to weight, watering distribution, grass growth, etc. ? And why was the 8’ x 8’ pallet size chosen.

Thank you for your response.

Jean C.

Response:

09/21/14

Dear Jean,

Pallets of that size fit on a truck. There are also limitations regarding weight and agronomic issues.

Please let me know the specific application your enquiry is about and we can discuss further.

Regards,

Peter Casimaty
StrathAyr Turf Systems

Melbourne, Australia
M: +61 406 072 229
T: +61 3 5735 4122
www.strathayr.com

StrathAyr Turf Systems
strathayr1.png

Besides this, "recycling" a Grassmaster-modified pallet would be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Then every stadium should be natural grass grown in an enclosed single use stadium with artificial lights.

As it should be, kick that rodeo show outside to a renovated open air astrodome.

That field is Holy Ground.

Although the only thing Holy for them so far is the $$$$$$$, and not the sport.

As it should be, kick that rodeo show outside to a renovated open air astrodome.

That field is Holy Ground.

Although the only thing Holy for them so far is the $$$$$$$, and not the sport.

Except for, you know, what whole partnership from the beginning with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Have you ever noticed the logos on the end of each section of seats? They alternate between the Texans logo and the HLSR logo.

The rodeo is not going anywhere. They have more events in three weeks than the Texans have all year.

The rodeo is not the problem. It is all the other non-football events scheduled in the stadium during football season that creates a situation where the pallets are required.

Except for, you know, what whole partnership from the beginning with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Have you ever noticed the logos on the end of each section of seats? They alternate between the Texans logo and the HLSR logo.

The rodeo is not going anywhere. They have more events in three weeks than the Texans have all year.

The rodeo is not the problem. It is all the other non-football events scheduled in the stadium during football season that creates a situation where the pallets are required.

^^^^ This

If they could/would not schedule any other events once football season starts and could put in a field and leave it alone they would be fine. Or maybe change it once midway thru the season.

^^^^ This

If they could/would not schedule any other events once football season starts and could put in a field and leave it alone they would be fine. Or maybe change it once midway thru the season.
Ditto!
The Rodeo goes from the end of Feb. to the 3rd or 4th week in March (in 2015 it ends on March 22nd). There should be plenty of time for the field to recover from Rodeo damage by the first of August or whenever the first preseason game happens to be.

Ditto!
The Rodeo goes from the end of Feb. to the 3rd or 4th week in March (in 2015 it ends on March 22nd). There should be plenty of time for the field to recover from Rodeo damage by the first of August or whenever the first preseason game happens to be.

Well the rodeo can't happen on a field, but they could put the damn thing down at the end of august and leave it the hell alone

Well the rodeo can't happen on a field, but they could put the damn thing down at the end of august and leave it the hell alone
I'm agreeing with you.

Take up the pallets for the Rodeo, then, when the Rodeo is over, put 'em back and let the grass recover.

Oh and make damned sure the pallets are assembled with no gaps.

I'm agreeing with you.

Take up the pallets for the Rodeo, then, when the Rodeo is over, put 'em back and let the grass recover.

Oh and make damned sure the pallets are assembled with no gaps.

Exactly!!!

:handshake:

New grass centerpiece of Houston stadium upgrades
Published: Thursday, January 15, 2004

HOUSTON (AP) — The city rolled out the green carpet for the Super Bowl on Wednesday.

An all-star team of groundskeepers from around the NFL began applying a pristine Bermuda grass surface over the battle-worn turf at Reliant Stadium, a building that's undergoing a transformation despite being just a year and a half old.

"The people don't come to see us, they come to see the game," said George Toma, the Hall of Fame grounds guru who has overseen turf preparation at all 38 Super Bowls. "It's been my job for 62 years to give the teams a safe playing field."

That field, in the form of several one-ton rolls that extend to four feet by 35 feet each, arrived Wednesday aboard a convoy of refrigerated 18-wheelers.

The grass has been in the ground in Arizona, an hour south of Phoenix, for more than a year before it was unearthed this week and transported to Houston.

The plush new surface should be in place by the end of the week, giving Toma, right-hand man Ed Mangan and the other groundskeepers two weeks to prim for the Feb. 1 game.

Toma is confident the poor light conditions inside the cavernous stadium won't hamper the field.

"I'm not concerned at all," Toma said. "I have grown sod inside of maintenance shops."

To make sure the Princess 17 bermuda grass thrives in its final resting place, Toma has 1,000 pounds of rye grass and bluegrass seed pregerminating at the stadium and ready to overseed to make sure the surface is ready for the Patriots or Colts to face the Eagles or Panthers.

It will be a major change from the field the Houston Texans are used to roaming. Their grass, set on a system of eight-foot square trays for easy assembly and disassembly, has thinned and browned toward the end of each of their first two systems despite the best efforts of the crew.

The fault lies not with the local grounds crew, Toma said, but with the design of the retractable-roofed stadium that doesn't allow in enough light to promote consistent grass growth. During the season the trays are removed and laid out under the sunlight whenever possible.

"Maybe down the road there will be something," Toma said when asked if a grass variety might be developed that allows extremely low sunlight levels. Until then, he said, the Reliant crew has done the best they can.

It wouldn't have mattered if the trays had been performing perfectly, Toma added: The league routinely installs its own turf, formulated by Atlanta-based Pennington Seed, at Super Bowl venues with grass fields to ensure as much continuity as possible.

It's up to Toma and Mangan to make it fit for football.

"Ed and his crew are extremely fussy about getting the sod down just right," said Ronnie Stapp, Pennington's executive vice president for seed operations.

Doc you keep citing that but here's the key:

The league routinely installs its own turf, formulated by Atlanta-based Pennington Seed, at Super Bowl venues with grass fields to ensure as much continuity as possible.

It's wasn't a comment on Houston's field. It also doesn't present a way of doing it on a consistent basis. So what's the point?

They need to do this from August through January every year with only football events hosted at NRG during that period.

Use those mobile grow lights shown earlier in this thread and NRG would end up having one of the - if not THE - consistently best fields in the NFL.

Perception of "problem" solved by a bunch of forum knuckleheads. :D

They need to do this from August through January every year with only football events hosted at NRG during that period.

Use those mobile grow lights shown earlier in this thread and NRG would end up having one of the - if not THE - consistently best fields in the NFL.

Does anyone know who controls the other events at NRG?

I believe it's handled by Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation who have their offices at NRG Park

That's interesting and might help explain why the Texans do not have a semi-perma field installed during football season. They might not have the authority with so many different entities involved.

That's interesting and might help explain why the Texans do not have a semi-perma field installed during football season. They might not have the authority with so many different entities involved.

That's where my question was going. And I doubt merely replacing the revenue stream would be good enough. Harris County wants events on the calendar for attracting people and businesses. It's one of those things which is below the radar for city residents but is factored into all those listings of "great places to live," etc.

Link

Hartmann's Lawsuit

Lawsuit From Former Texan Over Turf Issues Amended To Include Quotes From Eagles Players, Texans O’Brien

NFL officials aren’t the only ones keeping close tabs on recent less-than-flattering comments about the playing surface inside NRG Stadium. Via Sports Radio 610’s Sean Pendergast, Gene Egdorf, the attorney for former Houston Texans punter Brett Hartmann, has amended Hartmann’s lawsuit against the groups that manage the controversial grass after last week’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles - arguably making Hartmann’s case stronger and change to the Texans home field likelier.

The suit now includes quotes from Eagles players, who questioned its safety and wondered why the league won’t demand changes, and head coach Bill O’Brien, who said he’ll consider whether to make changes himself after this season.

This comes hours after ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported on “Monday Night Countdown” last night that league officials will be looking into how the surface is built and maintained and whether either pose a safety threat to players. For those hoping for change, it seems increasingly likely that it’s coming soon.

Even if the NFL doesn’t step in and force owner Bob McNair to find another way to put together and upkeep his field, it’s possible that the lawsuit will, given that being held liable for Hartmann’s career-ending ACL tear could open the door to similar lawsuits.

pendergast1002-shoe560-thumb-560x420.jpg

The logo paint on the side of Brett Hartmann's shoe is one indicator his foot landed inside a
groove in the turf, according to his attorney.

That is a damn shame Hartmann's injury was career ending. First I heard of it.

Link

Hartmann's Lawsuit

That is a damn shame Hartmann's injury was career ending. First I heard of it.

I hope Hartmann wins a big fat settlement or jury award. I am glad that there is a rising crescendo of people complaining about the horrible NRG Stadium playing surface. I have been complaining about the damn field since the beginning of this sorry franchise's existence. A victory by Hartmann will ensure that there is a new field at NRG and that is why I am hoping he wins. Finally, tone deaf, cheap-old Bob McNair will be forced to invest in a quality field.

Does anyone know who controls the other events at NRG?

Back when I worked for an indie promoter, the Texans and Rodeo ran it in practical terms, if not official ones.

Someone over at Kirby also sent over some goons to extort 10% of our gate, not sure who they specifically worked for, but that is not uncommon in this city.

Regarding other in season non football events at NRG. What are they typically? Concerts? I imagine those can be held on top of the field like they do at other natural grass stadiums. If we're talking about truck pulls, motor cross events and other nonsense like that, just schedule them outside of football season; it can't be that hard...

As optimistic as Toma is about growing grass in a maintenance shop, it must be remembered that this was already a well-established (1 year off site) that was transported, and only expected to look good ONCE after 2 WEEKS. Without supplementary light exposure, I doubt if this would maintain and stand up to the trauma of football for very long.

Back