Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NRG Stadium's Hazardous Turf

Regarding other in season non football events at NRG. What are they typically? Concerts? I imagine those can be held on top of the field like they do at other natural grass stadiums. If we're talking about truck pulls, motor cross events and other nonsense like that, just schedule them outside of football season; it can't be that hard...

Disney On Ice event, which requires the entire field be removed to install ice.

Basically, the stadium has no field in it RIGHT NOW, during football season, for the Disney event going on this week.

The SGL Grow Light System has been used in Lambeau Field, the Miami Marlins, Seattle Mariners and Milwaukee Brewers Field................and even the Astro' Minute Maid Part for years.

Packers:

Greenbay%20Packers%202_1.jpg

Brewers:

DSC_2222_1.jpg

Mariners:

growlights1.jpg

Astros:

IMG_0026_2.jpg

There are lots of solutions. It just requires cheap-old Bob to give a ****. Cheap Bob expects someone else to pay for it just like with the new scoreboards. Cheap Bob also expects the Houston taxpayer to pay for in stadium WiFi which is available in virtually every stadium except for NRG.

Did you previously go by the name 'second honeymoon' by chance?

There are lots of solutions. It just requires cheap-old Bob to give a ****. Cheap Bob expects someone else to pay for it just like with the new scoreboards. Cheap Bob also expects the Houston taxpayer to pay for in stadium WiFi which is available in virtually every stadium except for NRG.

The team doesn't own the stadium. Stadium upgrades are traditionally split between the team and the owner. Now I guess you can argue all NFL owners are cheap.

I think the solution is obvious. We need to redesign the Astrodome to host some or all of these events (Like "Disney on Ice") so that the turf in NRG stadium can stay in place for all of preseason and the regular season too.

That accomidations would be made for the HLS&R is perfectly understandable. They're partners in this and control the place during their month of the year. That we should have a substandard field that's possibly causing injuries (due to poor assembly or whatever) for Disney on Ice in intolerable. Only events that can be held on the turf should be allowed during football season.

Priorities need to be recognized here.

One thing is for sure...........having to annually grow and install and maintain and remove the sod>>>>>>then cover the grass and remove the false above-grass decking when needed during the football season>>>>>>>then lay down, maintain and remove the artificial turf for high school and college games>>>>>>>then paying for the Grow Light System and bulb replacement>>>>>>>>then paying for what will prove to be an enormous electrical bill (as this light system many times requires daily 24 hour operation)...........having this complicated set of events to keep things going smoothly is going to cost SOMEONE a pretty penny!:spin:

The team doesn't own the stadium. Stadium upgrades are traditionally split between the team and the owner. Now I guess you can argue all NFL owners are cheap.

We shall see who is supposed to be doing what if Hartmann wins his lawsuit. Unfortunately if the McNair's lose the season ticket prices will be raised to cover the cost of the lawsuit. So I am kinda conflicted on what I want to have happen with this lawsuit.

Hartmann deserves his $$$$ though. The field is and has been CRAP.

We shall see who is supposed to be doing what if Hartmann wins his lawsuit. Unfortunately if the McNair's lose the season ticket prices will be raised to cover the cost of the lawsuit. So I am kinda conflicted on what I want to have happen with this lawsuit.

The Texans are not a defendant in the suit.* The sports authority and its management company are the defendants. And their insurance carriers will be the ones footing any bill.

The case is set for trial Jan. 26, 2015 by the way.

* This little tidbit should tell people the Texans are not in control of the field.

Saw an article today that Hartmann's lawyer had amended the lawsuit to include the comments recently made by the Eagles players, and that of O'Brien (saying they would look at it after the season).

Bullshit. The Texans are the ones that chose this garbage natural grass tray system. They should ****ing pay for it. Cheap, old Bob has the money.

One thing is for sure...........having to annually grow and install and maintain and remove the sod>>>>>>then cover the grass and remove the false above-grass decking when needed during the football season>>>>>>>then lay down, maintain and remove the artificial turf for high school and college games>>>>>>>then paying for the Grow Light System and bulb replacement>>>>>>>>then paying for what will prove to be an enormous electrical bill (as this light system many times requires daily 24 hour operation)...........having this complicated set of events to keep things going smoothly is going to cost SOMEONE a pretty penny!:spin:

I would assume that all games - pro, college, and high school - would be played on a field that is cultivated inside the stadium for 6 months.

As far as cost, I would figure that the current budget for constantly dealing with the pallet system would help mitigate the expense of maintaining a 6 month field.

The Texans are not a defendant in the suit.* The sports authority and its management company are the defendants. And their insurance carriers will be the ones footing any bill.

* This little tidbit should tell people the Texans are not in control of the field.

The lawyer was just on 610 radio, and he said the sports authority is "in charge", but they admitted in a deposition that they make decisions with the Texans full involvement. The reason the Texans are not defendants has to do with worker's compensation more than anything else, since Hartmann was an employee of the Texans but not the county or sports authority.

The lawyer was just on 610 radio, and he said the sports authority is "in charge", but they admitted in a deposition that they make decisions with the Texans full involvement.

I am sure that is the case. The sports authority is essentially a business with 2 very large clients and a bunch of little munchkin clients to fill up capacity.

Thanks, good info to know.

You cant tell me the Texans org has no say when it comes to the field. I'm sure the HSA will have to foot the bill though. Man, the McNair's have it good.

You would figure that if enough consistent bad press were to happen, then the HMFIC's would get sick of hearing about it and change it to something better.

But then again, there is bad press about that field every season. If they were going to change it, they would have done it long ago.

Thanks, good info to know.

You cant tell me the Texans org has no say when it comes to the field. I'm sure the HSA will have to foot the bill though. Man, the McNair's have it good.

ALL NFL owners have it good, not just McNair. They are all guaranteed a profit regardless of how they run their teams and in spite of how their seasons turn out.

You would figure that if enough consistent bad press were to happen, then the HMFIC's would get sick of hearing about it and change it to something better.

But then again, there is bad press about that field every season. If they were going to change it, they would have done it long ago.

Just because there's bad press doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong...other than the press being bad, which seems to be the case more often than not.

I saw this on Clutch Fans.

They are looking for a new grounds keeper.

Sports and Field Grounds Manager – SMG Reliant Park
SMG World - Houston, TX
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Coordinate and oversee field maintenance of practice fields and stadium field to include mowing, fertilizing and cultivating the stadium and Houston practice fields.
Install/removal of the natural grass playing field for all NFL games as well as other special events that come through the stadium. I.e. exhibits and soccer matches.
Coordinate and oversee the install/removal and maintenance of synthetic turf for High school and college games.
Coordinate the maintenance of the Houston Texans indoor practice facility synthetic field.
Supervise a grounds crew which includes interviewing, hiring, training and maintaining employment records.
Purchase and maintain the field maintenance equipment and supplies, and keep records of all maintenance and repairs. Supervise the departmental budget.
Maintain irrigation system (replace sprinkler heads, adjust distribution, inspect moisture content).
Supervise in the planting and care of shrubs, flowers, trees and grass.
Uses hand tools and equipment or light powered hand tools.
Supervise subcontracted grounds keeping employees.
Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.

Personally, I think they should hire this guy:

GroundskeeperWillie.png

:jam:

The lawyer yesterday seemed certain that they'd have a new field next year. But he also said their reluctance to do so probably has something to do with the pending lawsuit.

we'll see

NRG's turf looked awful yesterday and looked even worse on TV when I came back home to watch film. Cheap, old Bob McNair apparently can't spend the coin necessary for a good field or to have good cell phone service in the stadium. He is always looking for someone else to pay for it despite being a billionaire.

NRG's turf looked awful yesterday and looked even worse on TV when I came back home to watch film. Cheap, old Bob McNair apparently can't spend the coin necessary for a good field or to have good cell phone service in the stadium. He is always looking for someone else to pay for it despite being a billionaire.

And THAT.......is how you become a billionaire.

You don't get rich by spending money when you don't have to. Also, it seems they are already working on fixing the field.

No problem getting good cell phone service if you have a decent provider

:goodluck:

Andre didn't make the org sign Ed Reed. That was squarely on the front office.

The FO is also to blame, but teams generally can't simply ignore a vocal superstar on their team, especially when they are trying to recruit another HoF that did pretty darn good in the playoffs.

I think what the poster you quoted is missing is this simple fact:

Verizon is the Official Wireless Provider of the Houston Texans.

Source: HT.com

I have Verizon service and do not have any problems with signals inside the stadium.

I have Verizon, the official cell provider of the Texans and I can't get a frigging signal.

Most everyone that's posted that has Verizon gets good signal. I know I do when I go. What section do you sit in?

Most everyone that's posted that has Verizon gets good signal. I know I do when I go. What section do you sit in?

I sit in Section 106. The service is very spotty. I can send an text every now and then. It just becomes a hassle to use.

I have Verizon service and do not have any problems with signals inside the stadium.

I have AT&T (who I consider a decent provider) and get truly horrible reception*. So due to my choice in cell phone provider I have a second class "Texans Game Day Experience". :)

Interestingly, I have a friend who is in Cleveland. Their official provider is AT&T. AT&T users there have no problems in the stadium, while Verizon doesn't work.

Quite a coincidence.

*And I blame the hazardous turf for that, to get back on topic.

Bill O'Brien on "turf" on his radio show --
I think certain players may not like it. We played on it in New England and I felt like most of the players never had a complaint about it.

But the way they make it now it's very close to grass with the different levels of the rubber and turf and stuff...

I think it's much better for players than it used to be, especially the brand new turf like what they just put in Indy...

I think you need to ask the players now what they think of the newest turf...

I'm a fan of field turf.

Back