Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

I've said this since at least the first days of Kubiak, I don't want my GM or Coaches going in front of the press and telling them anything that could be used against us later. And that means nothing real about strategy or about what's going on in the locker room or about players strengths, weaknesses, or injuries. I don't want my coaches, gm, or players going in front of the press and saying things that become motivation for other players or teams. I don't want my gm or coaches using the press to try to light fires under the players as motivational tools.

Keep everything in-house and play everything close to the vest.

I'm on-board with vacuous coach-speak that doesn't mean anything. Complimentary Football FTW!

Exactly

You must be very, very careful in today's world......you got to be careful and not hurt anyone's wittle feelings.

No, no, I’m not saying they need tell us what they’re really thinking. Of course they’re not going to do that. “Yeah, he wasn’t very good so the fact that someone was willing to give us a pick for him, well we couldn’t jump on that fast enough.”

My point is, they’re NOT going to say anything, they’re not answering anybody’s questions, so the exercise of these interviews is pointless.

"That was a tough decision. Ross was a good player for the organization for a number of years…”

What’s the point of saying that, especially when it’s not in the same zip code of the truth?

We all know it’s coach/GM speak, but when that’s the kind of stuff they’re saying, it’d be better to not even have an interview. Just seems like a waste of everyone’s time.

We all know it’s coach/GM speak, but when that’s the kind of stuff they’re saying, it’d be better to not even have an interview. Just seems like a waste of everyone’s time.
Not for the average uneducated fan that makes up 95% of the fanbase of all teams. They don't know it's BS coach speak anymore than they understand the difference between tampa 2 and cover 0

No, no, I’m not saying they need tell us what they’re really thinking. Of course they’re not going to do that. “Yeah, he wasn’t very good so the fact that someone was willing to give us a pick for him, well we couldn’t jump on that fast enough.”

My point is, they’re NOT going to say anything, they’re not answering anybody’s questions, so the exercise of these interviews is pointless.

"That was a tough decision. Ross was a good player for the organization for a number of years…”

What’s the point of saying that, especially when it’s not in the same zip code of the truth?

yep.

We all know it's just meaningless words to fulfill a media obligation.

Which is why it's a bit redundant to have a poster single out Caserio for doing what literally every other coach and GM does. None of this is anything new under the sun.

yep.

Which is why it's a bit redundant to have a poster single out Caserio for doing what literally every other coach and GM does. None of this is anything new under the sun.
You nailed it. Maybe that is why they call it coach speak, because they all do it. Ding ding. Some people got to grind on him for everything. Let's grind where it makes sense, cap management is at least debatable..

yep.

I would say that Caserio has a style of his own but he may have shared the same speech coach as Kamala. It's just that Caserio talks so damn fast he makes enough word salad for a family reunion of 100.

He's just better at his word salad, imo, and he's got that Texas accent that makes us feel good about it. lol

Read his answers written out without the benefit of his personality or delivery. Just seems like the same old coach speak to me.

Transcripts: 8-29-2022 Press Conferences

"Are there any positions that you hope to address after roster cuts, like tight end?

"This will be our approach throughout. We're going to set our roster, but were always looking to improve. Improving our ball club is constant. Are there areas where we know what we have here but, yes, we're looking to see who else is out there, available too? That's a part of it. We have an excellent personnel staff working tirelessly behind the scenes. In the end, we'll know what we need to do."

yeah, so much insight there. :rolleyes:

You're arguing against his agenda DB

In 12 yrs.

SMDH

RS sucked as a drafter outside of the 1st rd. Go back and look at his draft record. He continued a long running tradition started by Casserole before him and BOB after him.
No argument about not being good after 1st rd. I'm just stating some of yall act like he never drafted anyone outside the 1st rd. GMs get fired quicker for missing on the 1st rd more than anything. No matter how you split it, you know for sure the players they had to pass up in the 3rd and 4th rds because of the issues they had in college. That's not an excuse, those are just known facts. So far, Caserio has been good, in terms of those 1st rd picks, we will see on those too. Who gets credit for the 06 draft? Casserly or Kubiak?

No argument about not being good after 1st rd. I'm just stating some of yall act like he never drafted anyone outside the 1st rd. GMs get fired quicker for missing on the 1st rd more than anything. No matter how you split it, you know for sure the players they had to pass up in the 3rd and 4th rds because of the issues they had in college. That's not an excuse, those are just known facts. So far, Caserio has been good, in terms of those 1st rd picks, we will see on those too. Who gets credit for the 06 draft? Casserly or Kubiak?

Have you ever asked a woman where she wants to eat and she knew where she wanted to go and what she wanted to eat?

That’s Rick Smith hitting on a pick after the 2nd.

Not to say it hasn’t happened, it is just too few to matter.

Is Caserio under the same constraints? I'm guessing as long as Janice owns the team he will be. He still did a much better job than his predecessors given those constraints. IMHO

Is Caserio under the same constraints? I'm guessing as long as Janice owns the team he will be. He still did a much better job than his predecessors given those constraints. IMHO

I'm curious if he's under any sort of restraints. I think the McNairs might have learned their lesson about getting involved in football ops and have now decided to hire men that they can hold responsible while staying out of the process and out of the limelight (unless it's Cal doing his public relations rebuild, of course).

At least, this is the story I tell myself so I can still care about this franchise! lol

We shall see. I hope he does. They did probably pass Pickens over Metchie because of some off the field stuff. Just my guess

I think it is awesome to have a GM that can draft well in the first and second rounds, but also make hits in rounds 3-5.
I look back at where this organization was exactly 2 years ago and we had a tyrant for a GM and coach who soured the entire culture, gave away top players and handed out stupid money contracts to sub-par players. Nick was hired in January 2021 and has a done a great job of (1) changing the culture, (2) trading the pervert for a haul, (3) fixing the salary cap (4) turning over the roster (5) navigating a pandemic and (6) generally making this organization respectable instead of a laughing stock.

However, Nick also has his warts and head scratchers; (1) giving away Mark Ingram, (2) trading draft picks for players who get cut, (3) keeping Easterby and (4) hiring or considering coaching candidates who are unqualified.

Overall, it seems he's done a great job of drafting and finding talent in later rounds. As well as acquiring veteran talent that can contribute. I give him an A- for improving the entire organization in the short time he has been here.

Off field and I think they were prioritizing slot WR most since they just drafted Nico for same role as Pickens. Nico needs to pay off or they are going to need to upgrade next offseason.

They're going to need to target him more than 3 times a game if the desire is to see what he brings to the offense.

They're going to need to target him more than 3 times a game if the desire is to see what he brings to the offense.
I am starting to sour on Nico. Great news from the org on his willingness to work etc, but just does not translate to game day. Either Mills does not look for him or see him as open as his separation is marginal. Don't need to force feed, but your #2 should get more than 3 targets or just be a red zone option. Moore had a more impactful game

I am starting to sour on Nico.
I’d like to see a little more consistency from the team (coaches included) before I “sour” on anyone.

Especially the run game.

But we’re criticizing every aspect of the team right now & it’s all interconnected so, to me, it’s hard to pick one player out.

I do hope WR is addressed early & often in the next draft. Nothing against Nico. He can compete with a 1st round WR, Metchie, & the plethora of journeymen on the roster. That’s just the NFL.

I'm curious if he's under any sort of restraints. I think the McNairs might have learned their lesson about getting involved in football ops and have now decided to hire men that they can hold responsible while staying out of the process and out of the limelight (unless it's Cal doing his public relations rebuild, of course).

At least, this is the story I tell myself so I can still care about this franchise! lol

Maybe I'm just overly hopeful but I'm kind of getting that impression to. Cal seems to get sent out more to make a public appearance like to greet a new coach or talk to a newly drafted player. I mean you can tell he stayed out of the Watson trade except for when he needed to sign on the dotted line. The rest of the time he doesn't seem to do much except sit around counting his money and playing his video games waiting for Caserio to tell him when to smile and wave again. In other words just what we always hoped would happen. :thumbup

I look back at where this organization was exactly 2 years ago and we had a tyrant for a GM and coach who soured the entire culture, gave away top players and handed out stupid money contracts to sub-par players. Nick was hired in January 2021 and has a done a great job of (1) changing the culture, (2) trading the pervert for a haul, (3) fixing the salary cap (4) turning over the roster (5) navigating a pandemic and (6) generally making this organization respectable instead of a laughing stock.

However, Nick also has his warts and head scratchers; (1) giving away Mark Ingram, (2) trading draft picks for players who get cut, (3) keeping Easterby and (4) hiring or considering coaching candidates who are unqualified.

Overall, it seems he's done a great job of drafting and finding talent in later rounds. As well as acquiring veteran talent that can contribute. I give him an A- for improving the entire organization in the short time he has been here.

Oh we're still a laughing stock just now we aren't giving them near as many reasons to laugh and actually making them find things to laugh about. :kitten:

I’d like to see a little more consistency from the team (coaches included) before I “sour” on anyone.

Especially the run game.

But we’re criticizing every aspect of the team right now & it’s all interconnected so, to me, it’s hard to pick one player out.

I do hope WR is addressed early & often in the next draft. Nothing against Nico. He can compete with a 1st round WR, Metchie, & the plethora of journeymen on the roster. That’s just the NFL.

If we don't go QB I think they will focus more on WR and RB next draft, maybe even trade back depending on where we draft at because you can find good WRs in the teens and good RB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. If we are in the top 3 again in the draft though I expect them to package both round 1s and move up to grab a QB then the year after that will be the weapon focus draft.

If the Texans are drafting in the top 3, do you really think they would have to move up for a QB? You think there will be only 2 QB's worth drafting?
If you do the math of teams that just drafted a qb and teams that already have a qb, not to mention there may be 4 maybe 5 1st round talents, with the middle of the pack Browns pick, they can probably get the qb. Best case scenerio is the teams who drafted qbs last year finish worse than the Texans. I don't think a team will do what Arizona did with Kliff and Kyler.

I am starting to sour on Nico. Great news from the org on his willingness to work etc, but just does not translate to game day. Either Mills does not look for him or see him as open as his separation is marginal. Don't need to force feed, but your #2 should get more than 3 targets or just be a red zone option. Moore had a more impactful game
Mills wasn’t going through many progressions. It seemed like he was going right where they wanted him to go. They wanted him to get the ball out quickly. Imo

Last edited:
If the Texans are drafting in the top 3, do you really think they would have to move up for a QB? You think there will be only 2 QB's worth drafting?

Honestly I don't know, I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about college football and who is available in the draft. It has just seemed to me like lately there has only been one maybe two QBs people say are worth drafting and if thats the case they may have to move up.

Especially the run game.

Competition is the name of the game in the NFL. Don’t like it? Play better.

In my opinion, not that it matters, your best slot option is #13. If you get a legit outside wr and move cooks around like a chess piece, you're optimizing the passing game.

For this yr you're probably correct. Although I'm hoping Johnson can play the slot some. He also played outside some.

In next yrs draft I hope they follow the talent, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Caserio drafted these positions, provided the talent was equal.

Rd.1 Best Pass Rusher available
Rd.1 Best TE available
Rd. 2 Best NT available
Rd.3 Best LB available
Rd.3 Best RB Available

Sign best FA WR available.

Last edited:
Mills wasn’t going throw many progressions. It seemed like he was going right where they wanted him to go. They wanted him to get the ball out quickly. Imo
That should be s.o.p. for a QB with Mills skill set. Use the quick easy throws like a jab to set your opponent up.

Pick your spots, wait for favorable match-ups or create them & take your shots when they present themselves.

For this yr you're probably correct. Although I'm hoping Johnson can play the slot some. He also played outside some.

In next yrs draft I hope they follow the talent, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Caserio drafted these positions, provided the talent was equal.

Rd.1 Best Pass Rusher available
Rd.1 Best TE available
Rd. 2 Best NT available
Rd.3 Best LB available
Rd.3 Best RB Available

Sign best FA WR available.

You neglected O-line. Unless they're using their picks to trade up for a QB, then a regular draft with two picks in the 1st round needs an O-lineman in there somewhere. I would substitute an Oline pick for your TE pick in the 1st round. The rest look fine to me. And they most definitely need another RB.

Hardening up the interior linemen of either side is always a smart thing to do. If I were an NFL GM I would be drafting lineman in the 1st or 2nd round every single year. Until I got fired for it. LOL

You neglected O-line. Unless they're using their picks to trade up for a QB, then a regular draft with two picks in the 1st round needs an O-lineman in there somewhere. I would substitute an Oline pick for your TE pick in the 1st round. The rest look fine to me. And they most definitely need another RB.

Hardening up the interior linemen of either side is always a smart thing to do. If I were an NFL GM I would be drafting lineman in the 1st or 2nd round every single year. Until I got fired for it. LOL
Depends on who falls, I probably would pick Stromberg in the 2nd instead of a NT.

I wouldn't pick O-line in the first unless you had a Green type OC or RG available. A good O-lineman will play 10+ years and the Texans have 2 maybe 3 of 5 now. You can get quality O-line in later rounds.
Rnd 1- best pass rusher
Rnd 1- best WR
Rnd 2- best LB
Rnd 3- best RB

Back