Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Kelly was chosen for him he first season in an effort to keep Watson. After that though when they planned to fire Kelly and name a new OC, most likely Pep, Culley went on camera and said there would be no personal changes and Kelly was OC. After that both were fired.
Culley didn't want to do Caserio's dirty work. Kelly was Caserios hiring as was everyone else on the staff. So if you don't want him, Culley wanted Caserio to fire him. When he wouldn't do it, he was fired. Doesn't that make the most sense?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Culley didn't want to do Caserio's dirty work. Kelly was Caserios hiring as was everyone else on the staff. So if you don't want him, Culley wanted Caserio to fire him. When he wouldn't do it, he was fired. Doesn't that make the most sense?
No it doesn't at all. On one hand you are saying that Culley was nothing but Caserio's puppet and then on the other you are saying Culley stood up to Caserio. Completely ignoring the fact that Culley went on camera and said there would be no personal changes and Kelly would be the OC. Culley, Kelly the whole crew pretty much was hired to try and appease Watson. When that didn't work they knew Kelly sucked as an OC but I guessing they were most likely willing to give Culley a year or so more. They were going to be rebuilding anyway so they could see if Culley could grow to be a good HC and if not then after they had what they felt was a solid roster then they could more easily lure a vet HC down the line. Then Culley went on camera and spoke above his pay grade forcing them to either show he was just a figure head, go with what he said and be stuck with Kelly or door number 3 just fire both of them. They went with door number 3.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
This is year 2 correct or am I tripping? Next year is year 3. There is no such thing as a complete rebuild unless its an expansion team. See Browns and Bengals. Hire coach, next year draft qb, next year playoffs, that was the Bengals. The Browns went 1-31 in 2 yrs. In 17 they took Garrett, in 18, they took Baker in 20 they were in the playoffs and had the Chiefs beat. So when you compare the Texans rebuild, where are we?
I've stated from the get-go that I gave Caserio a mulligan for the 2020 season (many others also) b/c of the complete shite-pile he inherited from the OB era. That shite-pile included modest talent, no cap, and a lack of draft picks. This is why I gave season one a 0.5 and no real phase.....maybe an "Unearthing of The Crap Pile Phase”. This truly is the first year or Phase I of his/Texans rebuild.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
No it doesn't at all. On one hand you are saying that Culley was nothing but Caserio's puppet and then on the other you are saying Culley stood up to Caserio. Completely ignoring the fact that Culley went on camera and said there would be no personal changes and Kelly would be the OC. Culley, Kelly the whole crew pretty much was hired to try and appease Watson. When that didn't work they knew Kelly sucked as an OC but I guessing they were most likely willing to give Culley a year or so more. They were going to be rebuilding anyway so they could see if Culley could grow to be a good HC and if not then after they had what they felt was a solid roster then they could more easily lure a vet HC down the line. Then Culley went on camera and spoke above his pay grade forcing them to either show he was just a figure head, go with what he said and be stuck with Kelly or door number 3 just fire both of them. They went with door number 3.
Culley had no power in who stayed or was hired. We can at least agree on that one right. I mean, just connect the dots from the outset right. At the end of the year, Nick wanted to fire the guy he decided to keep, but he wanted his puppet to do it. Culley said no and he got fired while walking away with 24m or whatever that number was. He always had that spade in his pocket, but he wasn't going to be compromised and look like the bad guy.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Culley had no power in who stayed or was hired. We can at least agree on that one right. I mean, just connect the dots from the outset right. At the end of the year, Nick wanted to fire the guy he decided to keep, but he wanted his puppet to do it. Culley said no and he got fired while walking away with 24m or whatever that number was. He always had that spade in his pocket, but he wasn't going to be compromised and look like the bad guy.
What in the blue hell are you talking about looking like the bad guy? Kelly’s play calling sucked and everyone knew it, whomever fired him wouldn’t look like the bad guy they would look like someone actually trying to improve the team.

Also you keep ignoring the fact that Culley said there would be no personal changes and Kelly would be the OC. That alone puts a giant hole in your entire argument.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
What in the blue hell are you talking about looking like the bad guy? Kelly’s play calling sucked and everyone knew it, whomever fired him wouldn’t look like the bad guy they would look like someone actually trying to improve the team.

Also you keep ignoring the fact that Culley said there would be no personal changes and Kelly would be the OC. That alone puts a giant hole in your entire argument.
You think Culley had a choice? C'mon man, you can't be that clueless to think Culley had any decision making in regards to who was on his staff. That wasn't his choice, that was Caserio choice.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I had thought about that back then. But, the only reason I can think of that Caserio would want Culley to do the dirty was so that Culley wouldn't look like a puppet. So unless Culley is saying, "Nah... Nick, I want everyone to know that you're paying me a bunch of money to be elbow deep up my butt."

& I would think Culley would want people to think it was his decision. Even though no one would ever believe it was.

I think some fans are have been way too naive in not understanding how massive of a rebuilding undertaking this really is for Caserio. In my mind, he has done an excellent job. The key was to have us steadily improve in key areas and he is doing that. Will we reach 10 wins this season? No. Will we reach 10 wins next season? 50/50.

Will we be better than the media are giving us credit for this season? Hell yes we will.
While we only won 4 games last season we were far from pushovers at the end of the season. This season with Lovie leading the way and some significant changes I see us being better. Will that translate to more wins? I hope for at least two more wins this season but if not I still say we will be a better team overall this season than last. Unfortunately a lot of our opponents are also better. To me it appears we are moving in the right direction!

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You think Culley had a choice? C'mon man, you can't be that clueless to think Culley had any decision making in regards to who was on his staff. That wasn't his choice, that was Caserio choice.
I’m not saying Culley had a choice, yeah without question the staff was picked for him considering with the exception of I think Lovie the staff was in place before Culley was. My point being is if it was just a case of Culley not wanting to fire Kelly, which again why would he care seeing as Kelly sucked, then why go on camera saying there would be no changes and Kelly was staying.

Not sure about places you’ve worked but every time I have been privy to information that the higher ups we’re planning on firing someone last thing I did was go tell everyone that would listen that the person wasn’t getting fired. Nothing about your theory matches up with what we know happened.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I had thought about that back then. But, the only reason I can think of that Caserio would want Culley to do the dirty was so that Culley wouldn't look like a puppet. So unless Culley is saying, "Nah... Nick, I want everyone to know that you're paying me a bunch of money to be elbow deep up my butt."

& I would think Culley would want people to think it was his decision. Even though no one would ever believe it was.
Now see that might have gotten Watson to stay.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I’m not saying Culley had a choice, yeah without question the staff was picked for him considering with the exception of I think Lovie the staff was in place before Culley was. My point being is if it was just a case of Culley not wanting to fire Kelly, which again why would he care seeing as Kelly sucked, then why go on camera saying there would be no changes and Kelly was staying.

Not sure about places you’ve worked but every time I have been privy to information that the higher ups we’re planning on firing someone last thing I did was go tell everyone that would listen that the person wasn’t getting fired. Nothing about your theory matches up with what we know happened.
So the gm states philosophical differences is the reason he was fired. How can a puppet have those kind of differences with his puppet master? He hired his entire staff. Not 1 guy came from Baltimore which usually never happens, not even a qc coach. He wasn;t calling plays offensively or defensively. Jack,Romeo,and Nick were on the headsets during games advising him on decisions. Yet,and the end of the season, with the worse offense in the entire nfl, you,the gm, want him to fire the oc you hired for him? Nick could've done that since he hire him. Nick came up with the lame excuse of philosophical differences. Based on Nick during the hiring process again this year, until they hired Lovie, he was again trying to hire the staff for other potential head coaches. I like Lovie being hired, could've hired him the year before. Could've hired a number of people as long as you let them pick their coaches. Coaches in the nfl know who they want to work with probably better than a guy who has been in 1 organization,under the greatest head coach his entire career. What made Daboll appealing is yes, he came off the Patriots tree, but he's been different places in the nfl. He's just not in the Patriots frame of philosophy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So the gm states philosophical differences is the reason he was fired. How can a puppet have those kind of differences with his puppet master? He hired his entire staff. Not 1 guy came from Baltimore which usually never happens, not even a qc coach. He wasn;t calling plays offensively or defensively. Jack,Romeo,and Nick were on the headsets during games advising him on decisions. Yet,and the end of the season, with the worse offense in the entire nfl, you,the gm, want him to fire the oc you hired for him? Nick could've done that since he hire him. Nick came up with the lame excuse of philosophical differences. Based on Nick during the hiring process again this year, until they hired Lovie, he was again trying to hire the staff for other potential head coaches. I like Lovie being hired, could've hired him the year before. Could've hired a number of people as long as you let them pick their coaches. Coaches in the nfl know who they want to work with probably better than a guy who has been in 1 organization,under the greatest head coach his entire career. What made Daboll appealing is yes, he came off the Patriots tree, but he's been different places in the nfl. He's just not in the Patriots frame of philosophy.
Philosophical differences as in, Culley wanted Kelly to be his OC and Caserio didn't.

On another note do you have an issue with Caserio coming from the Patriots tree?

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I have not a single idea what that rant has to do with the topic of discussion. At this point I think you are just on an anti-Caserio kick. It was philosophical differences that got Culley fired. Caserio had the philosophy of he wanted Kelly fired, Culley had the philosophy of he didn't want Kelly fired hence philosophical differences. You keep ignoring one key fact so let me make sure its where you can see it.

CULLEY WENT OFF THE RESERVATION AND INSISTED PUBLICALLY THAT THERE WOULD BE NO PERSONAL CHANGES AND KELLY WOULD REMAIN THE OC.

Thats not Culley not wanting to do Caserio's dirty work, as you put it, that is directly contradicting his boss and doing it publicly. There are only 2 logical reasons for that, one he wasn't aware that Caserio wanted Kelly fired or two he thought that making it public the Texans would not want to contradict their new HC. In both of these cases your theory of Culley just not wanting to be the guy pulling the trigger doesn't make sense.

I'll let you have the last word because at this point its clear you have already made your mind up about everything regardless of known facts and any further discussion would be pointless.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I have not a single idea what that rant has to do with the topic of discussion. At this point I think you are just on an anti-Caserio kick. It was philosophical differences that got Culley fired. Caserio had the philosophy of he wanted Kelly fired, Culley had the philosophy of he didn't want Kelly fired hence philosophical differences. You keep ignoring one key fact so let me make sure its where you can see it.

CULLEY WENT OFF THE RESERVATION AND INSISTED PUBLICALLY THAT THERE WOULD BE NO PERSONAL CHANGES AND KELLY WOULD REMAIN THE OC.

Thats not Culley not wanting to do Caserio's dirty work, as you put it, that is directly contradicting his boss and doing it publicly. There are only 2 logical reasons for that, one he wasn't aware that Caserio wanted Kelly fired or two he thought that making it public the Texans would not want to contradict their new HC. In both of these cases your theory of Culley just not wanting to be the guy pulling the trigger doesn't make sense.

I'll let you have the last word because at this point its clear you have already made your mind up about everything regardless of known facts and any further discussion would be pointless.
You still haven't told me, why the man who hired Kelly or retained him didn't fire him? How can a puppet have philosophical differences with the puppet master?

OptimisticTexan

You still haven't told me, why the man who hired Kelly or retained him didn't fire him? How can a puppet have philosophical differences with the puppet master?
At that particular moment, “everyone” in the organization had one objective….trying to get Watson back on board with being a Texan and honoring his new contract. It was far too late to change what had been done once Watson’s personal situation became public…..it immediately superseded his holdout and demand to be traded. The organization was left with no other option but to ride out the Culley hire for a season. As we found out later…not nearly the Greek tragedy some wanted it to be.

Texian

Hall of Fame
At that particular moment, “everyone” in the organization had one objective….trying to get Watson back on board with being a Texan and honoring his new contract. It was far too late to change what had been done once Watson’s personal situation became public…..it immediately superseded his holdout and demand to be traded. The organization was left with no other option but to ride out the Culley hire for a season. As we found out later…not nearly the Greek tragedy some wanted it to be.
Make no mistake, from the moment Cal finished creating Caserby, Watson was gone. It was also no coincidence that players who were able to escape from their Kirby confinement started singing like a bunch of jailbirds and their newfound freedoms.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Was this before or after Genuine Touch employees complained to the Texans?
Irrelevant, "some things never change". Regardless, Watson was gone immediately after Game Boy announced his new game creation, "CASERBY". Even after the massage boy news began to break the Texans were still trying to find a way to keep Massage Boy.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Philosophical differences as in, Culley wanted Kelly to be his OC and Caserio didn't.

On another note do you have an issue with Caserio coming from the Patriots tree?
No, why would you? The Pat's have a winning formula. Have many, if any, duplicated the system in another city? Not really. But, that was coaching staff not FO. And so far Nick Caserio seems to be doing a good job.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Make no mistake, from the moment Cal finished creating Caserby, Watson was gone. It was also no coincidence that players who were able to escape from their Kirby confinement started singing like a bunch of jailbirds and their newfound freedoms.
Facts! When he had the intrerview and said people walking around here thinking they have power and they don't, everyone and they mama knew who he was talking about. They go through the interview process,and we know what happened. It wasn't the fact it was Caserio, it was the fact esterbunny was the dude in the middle. As soon as they hire took place, he was out. Only a fool would've thought hiring an unqualified Culley and keeping Kelly was going to change that. That's why there is no mulligan to me.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Once Caserio was hired at the urging of Esterbunny, he was out. Go check the timeline. You know what? It doesn't matter. Watson is gone, Culley and Kelley gone, and Esterbunny has been pushed in the broom closet. We will see.

Texian

Hall of Fame
TRANSLATION: Philosophical differences = Dolphins FIRED Brian Flores and < 72 hours later Caserio FIRED Culley.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
TRANSLATION: Philosophical differences = Dolphins FIRED Brian Flores and < 72 hours later Caserio FIRED Culley.
Even if that was the case so what? Flores would have been a big upgrade on Culley and it was an expected opportunity to hire him. Even if your theory is true all it means is that Caserio is willing and able to change his plans as a new opportunity presented itself. If not for the lawsuit, which no one predicted, I think there is a good chance Flores would have been the next HC and that wouldn’t have been a bad thing.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Even if that was the case so what? Flores would have been a big upgrade on Culley and it was an expected opportunity to hire him. Even if your theory is true all it means is that Caserio is willing and able to change his plans as a new opportunity presented itself. If not for the lawsuit, which no one predicted, I think there is a good chance Flores would have been the next HC and that wouldn’t have been a bad thing.
I don't see why the lawsuit had any bearing on him being the hc. Obviously, the Steelers didn't care because they hire him. They Texans should've just hired him then and let him pick his staff.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't see why the lawsuit had any bearing on him being the hc. Obviously, the Steelers didn't care because they hire him. They Texans should've just hired him then and let him pick his staff.
I think the Texans knew they had too much of a circus already & are admittedly not as mature of an organization as the Steelers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think the Texans knew they had too much of a circus already & are admittedly not as mature of an organization as the Steelers.
This has nothing to do with being a mature franchise. It has to do with the circus that was Derrick. They wanted to avoid what would have been a circus with Flores. I would have never hired Flores and his attitude/unwillingness to work with others.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You’re kidding right? Flores names the Texans in his lawsuit due to their firing of Culley. Which ironically might have been done to hire him. I don’t know about places you’ve worked but everywhere I’ve worked suing a company you are applying for a job with is not a good way to get hired.

As @thunderkyss said they also wouldn’t have wanted to get in the middle of that circus when they already had their own with Watson. With the Steelers basically Tomlin said “I don’t want this guy to get blackballed for this.” so he was the one that pushed for Flores to be hired and even then it was as OC not as a HC. So yeah Steelers cared to just they didn’t want to piss off their future HoF HC and again it was for OC not HC.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
You’re kidding right? Flores names the Texans in his lawsuit due to their firing of Culley. Which ironically might have been done to hire him. I don’t know about places you’ve worked but everywhere I’ve worked suing a company you are applying for a job with is not a good way to get hired.

As @thunderkyss said they also wouldn’t have wanted to get in the middle of that circus when they already had their own with Watson. With the Steelers basically Tomlin said “I don’t want this guy to get blackballed for this.” so he was the one that pushed for Flores to be hired and even then it was as OC not as a HC. So yeah Steelers cared to just they didn’t want to piss off their future HoF HC and again it was for OC not HC.
The Texans weren't named until afterwards and the almost hiring of Josh McCown who had 3 interviews while other candidates, minority ones didn't get any. McDaniel of the then SF and formerly of Kubiaks staff didn't get an interview, neither did Raheem Morris, the dc of the superbowl champs. The Texans interviewed candidates that no ther teams interviewed, Lovie included. I mean take it for what you want, which I know is going to happen.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I just finished watching the Caserio 53 man roster press conference. Nick is in serious need of a very strong cliche enema. Maybe 4 or 5, of course taking them one day at a time. Will they be successful? I don't know, we can't control that, all we can do is use the very best cliche enemas available each and every day, putting them in the best position where they can make the right play and the right moves. You really don't know how it is going to go, you can only hope that you have made all the right preparations to move cliches out in the biggest and best way possible.

It was good to hear Nick is not worried about concentrating on the future. Everything is concentrated on the here and now. Preparing for Colts is the only thing that matters. :sarcasm:

I must give credit where credit is due. Nick does make a very fine word salad.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I just finished watching the Caserio 53 man roster press conference. Nick is in serious need a very strong cliche enema. Maybe 4 or 5, of course taking them one day at at time. Will they best successful, I don't know we can't control that, all we can do is use the very best cliche enemas available each and every day putting them in the best position we can to make the right play and moves.
I am going to offer Nick "we just won't know until we know."

"We will play until the paychecks start bouncing."

" man did you see what that cheerleader just did?"

Well maybe not the last one...

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I rarely watch coaches or GMs at press conferences because 98% of it is cliché speak. A guy like Caserio was trained under the master of "saying a lot of words without saying anything".

Which is why it becomes news when someone like Dan Campbell goes off script.

Results are all that really matters with a guy like Caserio, not words.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I rarely watch coaches or GMs at press conferences because 98% of it is cliché speak. A guy like Caserio was trained under the master of "saying a lot of words without saying anything".

Which is why it becomes news when someone like Dan Campbell goes off script.

Results are all that really matters with a guy like Caserio, not words.
Lovie doesn't seem to have that problem. Lovie is honest, understandable, and sensical. (that doesn't necessarily translate into winning football) Maybe because Lovie is an older model he doesn't have the robotic mechanism word salad switch.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Lovie doesn't seem to have that problem. Lovie is honest, understandable, and sensical. (that doesn't necessarily translate into winning football) Maybe because Lovie is an older model he doesn't have the robotic mechanism word salad switch.
He's just better at his word salad, imo, and he's got that Texas accent that makes us feel good about it. lol

Read his answers written out without the benefit of his personality or delivery. Just seems like the same old coach speak to me.

Transcripts: 8-29-2022 Press Conferences

"Are there any positions that you hope to address after roster cuts, like tight end?

"This will be our approach throughout. We're going to set our roster, but were always looking to improve. Improving our ball club is constant. Are there areas where we know what we have here but, yes, we're looking to see who else is out there, available too? That's a part of it. We have an excellent personnel staff working tirelessly behind the scenes. In the end, we'll know what we need to do."

yeah, so much insight there. :rolleyes:

Texian

Hall of Fame
He's just better at his word salad, imo, and he's got that Texas accent that makes us feel good about it. lol

Read his answers written out without the benefit of his personality or delivery. Just seems like the same old coach speak to me.

Transcripts: 8-29-2022 Press Conferences

"Are there any positions that you hope to address after roster cuts, like tight end?

"This will be our approach throughout. We're going to set our roster, but were always looking to improve. Improving our ball club is constant. Are there areas where we know what we have here but, yes, we're looking to see who else is out there, available too? That's a part of it. We have an excellent personnel staff working tirelessly behind the scenes. In the end, we'll know what we need to do."

yeah, so much insight there. :rolleyes:
I'll agree that yes there are times when Lovie does slip into coach speak.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Q: Can you just explain the decision to move on from DL Ross Blacklock?

Nick: "That was a tough decision. Ross was a good player for the organization for a number of years…”

These interviews are useless with the nothingness, or in this case, flat out lies, that they give.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Nick: "That was a tough decision. Ross was a good player for the organization for a number of years…”

These interviews are useless with the nothingness, or in this case, flat out lies, that they give.
No competent FO guy is going to openly put a player on blast. It would be unprofessional and make the guy making the statement look like an ass. The fact that they traded him for what they did says enough about what the team thinks of him.
Having said that, I rarely watch press conferences because hardly anything of importance is ever said.

Dejaview

All Pro

It’s just a respect thing. obviously they liked the effort and work Hinish put in and Blacklock didnt match his effort. Lovie no doubt told Nick to move on. Question should have been directed at Lovie. NC said no less about DW.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Is this really a thing now? These people have P.R. training.. The only reason why they even have these press conferences is, because they are obligated by the league to do so. He's just grinding another ax away. You really want Nick to lay all his cards out on the table? That's what the last idiot did.
I've said this since at least the first days of Kubiak, I don't want my GM or Coaches going in front of the press and telling them anything that could be used against us later. And that means nothing real about strategy or about what's going on in the locker room or about players strengths, weaknesses, or injuries. I don't want my coaches, gm, or players going in front of the press and saying things that become motivation for other players or teams. I don't want my gm or coaches using the press to try to light fires under the players as motivational tools.

Keep everything in-house and play everything close to the vest.

I'm on-board with vacuous coach-speak that doesn't mean anything. Complimentary Football FTW!

OptimisticTexan

You must be very, very careful in today's world......you got to be careful and not hurt anyone's wittle feelings.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You must be very, very careful in today's world......you got to be careful and not hurt anyone's wittle feelings.
I don't remember a time where a HC or GM would say, "The guy sucked. We should've gotten rid of him sooner. I would have taken a handful of beans for this chump and tossed them out of the window. Goodbye and good riddance. Just remember it was the guy before me that drafted him. Make sure that's in the paper."

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't remember a time where a HC or GM would say, "The guy sucked. We should've gotten rid of him sooner. I would have taken a handful of beans for this chump and tossed them out of the window. Goodbye and good riddance. Just remember it was the guy before me that drafted him. Make sure that's in the paper."
If OB had another year I'm sure you would have heard it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don't remember when Jimmy Johnson cut Swervin Kervin Richards and said dude is a fumbler, or John Roper and said dude fell asleep in a meeting. He'll have plenty of time to get his rest now?