Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

I think he is saying if we have pick 1.1 then trade that pick for multiple firsts to a team who wants Bryce Young and keep Mills.

But I think Seattle will be drafting 1.1 and will get Bryce Young. Cleveland close to Seattle and will be drafting at 1.2 which we will get. I can see the Texans being in the top ten though.

Yes sir, Mills is our franchise QB.

We have no idea who finishes where? Point is to maximize draft capital period. Something this franchise has fared miserably over its tenure in the league.

Really hate rehashing past drafts, we can’t do anything about. But if they really wanted Stingley trade down for Christ sakes, add draft capital then select him. Far as Kenyon, that’s real high to select OG with so few weapons for Mills. I could see it more if he kicks outside, which he may eventually do, but for now it’s not good value.

Drafting for need, Linderbaum, a true franchise Center would have been more important piece or Zion, who is a true inside player, that could kick into Center.

The last paragraph I agree with.

I also think Green is going to be a very good player for a long time.
I could probably overlook Green's disappointing athleticism if he were strong but his bench of only 20 also indicates he is weak. Which makes me wonder, was he only doing enough to get by, coasting while at A&M? It's going to take him a couple of years minimum to catch up with the average athleticism of an NFL OL. IMHO I think Lovie promised Warhop this pick as an incentive to sign on as Lovie's OL coach. If I had to take an OG at #15 I would've drafted Cole Strange but my draft had Devonte Wyatt at #15. Ideally, I would've stayed at #13 and drafted Jordan Davis.

Last edited:
Nobody saw that coming. Since being in the nfl, Houston and others haven't had any issues.
Yes sir that's true of course it was out of the blue and I'm in no way faulting the Texans organization for drafting a tremendous talent who turns out to have what in retrospect seems to have been some latent tendencies that proved to be very destructive.

Not a 3rd rounder with college injury history and a "he got better in his 2nd season" on his resume. You only do that with a Russell Wilson type resume and production.
Hopefully Mills will be the Texans version of Wilson and we can think about making that trade in 10 years or so.

Not trading Mills. If Bryce Young still on the board (not owning 1st overall selection) and Caserio can get a plus package in exchange, then you do it. Lot of points other posters submitted I agree with as well. We’re in building mode and need infuse of elite playmakers not just one.

I am willing to bet that a picture of Caserio with a headset on will be shown at some point. That is what GMs do from time to time.

Caserio won’t be advising on plays and calls like he had to do with Culley.

I am willing to bet that a picture of Caserio with a headset on will be shown at some point. That is what GMs do from time to time.

Caserio won’t be advising on plays and calls like he had to do with Culley.
Listening to the game and Marc Vandermeer on the Houston Texan's flagship sports radio station 610.

Again…..Caserio is doing a fine job in regards to the massive rebuilding project required for the Texans organization to become relevant in the NFL once again. His Phase 0.5 and Phase 1.0 have looked pretty damm good. I believe Phase 2.0 could truly be interesting since the team will have the required draft stock to go along with real cap space to add needed pieces to the rebuild. There could be a final “Phase 3.0” in 2024 that focuses on filling minor holes b/c the foundation should be somewhat complete.

Some of you may hate the way he’s getting to and through these phases, but I’m digging his approach and look forward to this season and beyond.

Last edited:
I kindly disagree.

Take a listen to this interview. It really gives some insight into Caserio and how he was brought up in the New England system.

I'm not sure Texian will let facts get in the way of his narrative, but it's good to hear an explanation of the whole headphone-gate situation.
I think that silliness can be put to bed.

Sitting in the booth listening to play calls helps in player evaluation tremendously.

On this board, we've talked about the difficulty in evaluating players on specific plays due to not knowing what their assignment was.
On an interception, for instance, it's not always possible to tell if the QB or WR is at fault due to not knowing assignments.

Listening to play calls is instrumental in those scenarios.

So, while some people continue to push the headphone narrative to fit their agenda, it's clear as day that 20+ years of experience in the booth wearing headphones has made Nick Caserio a better GM.

After back-to-back head coach search fiascos 2.0, the second time was worse than the first. Even before the decision to hire Lovie, the Game Boy knew had seen enough. He knew right then and there that Caserby really had no clue as to what they were doing other than flying by the seat of their pants. Game Boy knew that the Texan's only chance to stop the embarrassment, return to respectability, common sense, logic, become fiscally responsible again, was to hire someone who had been there and actually knew how to build a football team roster. Game Boy realized his best chance was to hire Lovie Smith and agree to meet every demand Lovie made. If he did not, it would be a return to fiasco 3.0 and duplication of 2021. Game Boy was all too happy to have Lovie as the new captain of his ship, also knowing Caserby would see a much lesser contract than their first if they even get a 2nd contract.

Last edited:
After back-to-back head coach search fiascos 2.0, the second time was worse than the first. Even before the decision to hire Lovie, the Game Boy knew had seen enough. He knew right then and there that Caserby really had no clue as to what they were doing other than flying by the seat of their pants. Game Boy knew that the Texan's only chance to stop the embarrassment, return to respectability, common sense, and logic, become fiscally responsible again, and hire someone who had been there and actually knew how to build a football team roster, Game Boy's best chance was to hire Lovie Smith and meet every demand Lovie needed to agree. If he did not, it would be a return to fiasco 3.0 and duplication of 2021. Game Boy was all too happy to have Lovie as the new captain of his ship, also knowing Caserby would see a much lesser contract than their first if they even get a 2nd contract.

So was it Lovie that got three 1st round picks for Watson? And was it Lovie that passed on Sauce to take Stingley who has major injury concerns? Also not exactly sure what "meet every demand" is suppose to mean as Lovie didn't fire everyone in the building and bring in all his people, I mean I guess him and Pep have history but everyone knew Pep would be the OC after that last season with Kelly so yeah that wasn't a big shock. This all is particularly confusing when you remember your sig says:

"So much for the, "in Lovie we trust". That didn't last long. Elon I'll write you a check for $10 grand today if you'll buy the Texans."

So again did Cal lose all faith in Caserio and give Lovie the keys to the kingdom just to take it back later and decide he did trust Caserio again? This is the problem with blind hate, it makes you contradict yourself because everything has to fit into a pre-determined narrative that very, very rarely matches the real world. Doesn't it make more sense that with an experienced HC Caserio can just focus on being the GM and Lovie can focus on being the HC and the two mingle but not step on each other's toes?

Last edited:
I'm not sure Texian will let facts get in the way of his narrative, but it's good to hear an explanation of the whole headphone-gate situation.
I think that silliness can be put to bed.

Sitting in the booth listening to play calls helps in player evaluation tremendously.

On this board, we've talked about the difficulty in evaluating players on specific plays due to not knowing what their assignment was.
On an interception, for instance, it's not always possible to tell if the QB or WR is at fault due to not knowing assignments.

Listening to play calls is instrumental in those scenarios.

So, while some people continue to push the headphone narrative to fit their agenda, it's clear as day that 20+ years of experience in the booth wearing headphones has made Nick Caserio a better GM.

100% agree, I remember back to the Texans/Saints game several years ago where we lost because one player, forget who but he was cut right after, was like 10 yards away from the receiver he was suppose to be covering and the question was if he was out of place or if Romo called for him to be there. If the GM can hear the call and the assignments and that happens he knows if it was the players fault or the coaches fault and where to put his boot after the game.

Again…..Caserio is doing a fine job in regards to the massive rebuilding project required for the Texans organization to become relevant in the NFL once again. His Phase 0.5 and Phase 1.0 have looked pretty damm good. I believe Phase 2.0 could truly be interesting since the team will have the required draft stock to go along with real cap space to add needed pieces to the rebuild. There could be a final “Phase 3.0” in 2024 that focuses on filling minor holes b/c the foundation should be somewhat complete.

Some of you may hate the way he’s getting to and through these phases, but I’m digging his approach and look forward to this season and beyond.
2024 in a year to year league? That's a long time

2024 in a year to year league? That's a long time

2-3 years for a complete rebuild is a fairly rapid pace regardless of what professional league you’re attempting to do this in. Do it right….means do it once. Cut corners and you might find this rebuilding process a season to season thing. Improvement from the starting point should be the biggest concern and players continuing to buy into the system.

Last edited:
After back-to-back head coach search fiascos 2.0, the second time was worse than the first. Even before the decision to hire Lovie, the Game Boy knew had seen enough. He knew right then and there that Caserby really had no clue as to what they were doing other than flying by the seat of their pants. Game Boy knew that the Texan's only chance to stop the embarrassment, return to respectability, common sense, and logic, become fiscally responsible again, and hire someone who had been there and actually knew how to build a football team roster, Game Boy's best chance was to hire Lovie Smith and meet every demand Lovie needed to agree. If he did not, it would be a return to fiasco 3.0 and duplication of 2021. Game Boy was all too happy to have Lovie as the new captain of his ship, also knowing Caserby would see a much lesser contract than their first if they even get a 2nd contract.

"Objection your honor, speculation"

I think some fans are have been way too naive in not understanding how massive of a rebuilding undertaking this really is for Caserio. In my mind, he has done an excellent job. The key was to have us steadily improve in key areas and he is doing that. Will we reach 10 wins this season? No. Will we reach 10 wins next season? 50/50.

Will we be better than the media are giving us credit for this season? Hell yes we will.

2-3 years for a complete rebuild is a fairly rapid pace regardless of what profession league you’re attempting this in. Do it right….means do it once. Cut corners and you might find this rebuilding process a season to season thing. Improvement from the starting point should be the biggest concern and players continuing to buy into the system.
This is year 2 correct or am I tripping? Next year is year 3. There is no such thing as a complete rebuild unless its an expansion team. See Browns and Bengals. Hire coach, next year draft qb, next year playoffs, that was the Bengals. The Browns went 1-31 in 2 yrs. In 17 they took Garrett, in 18, they took Baker in 20 they were in the playoffs and had the Chiefs beat. So when you compare the Texans rebuild, where are we?

This is year 2 correct or am I tripping? Next year is year 3. There is no such thing as a complete rebuild unless its an expansion team. See Browns and Bengals. Hire coach, next year draft qb, next year playoffs, that was the Bengals. The Browns went 1-31 in 2 yrs. In 17 they took Garrett, in 18, they took Baker in 20 they were in the playoffs and had the Chiefs beat. So when you compare the Texans rebuild, where are we?
You make it sound so easy, but you are completely missing the O'Brien effect

There is no such thing as a full rebuild in todays nfl. Before the extra game, the ;eague is set up for everyone to go 7-9,8-8,9,7. The talent from a 3 or 4 win team to a 7,8 win team isn't that far. More like 1 or 2 good ,high end players. That's why the so called 5 yr plan is out the window. This rebuild started in 2021, correct? This is year 2. Year 3 they should be competing for the division title minimum.

There is no such thing as a full rebuild in todays nfl. Before the extra game, the ;eague is set up for everyone to go 7-9,8-8,9,7. The talent from a 3 or 4 win team to a 7,8 win team isn't that far. More like 1 or 2 good ,high end players. That's why the so called 5 yr plan is out the window. This rebuild started in 2021, correct? This is year 2. Year 3 they should be competing for the division title minimum.
Should be competing yes

If you don’t believe the Texans were decimated talent wise and draft picks and the salary cap during the OB years then you weren’t paying attention.

We traded multiple years worth of 1st and 2nd round draft picks, the life line for any franchise for a win now season the ended with 51-7.

We couldn’t build through the draft, sign free agents if even if they wanted to play here, or keep any talent.

To me 2021 doesn’t count. No draft picks, no money, no existing talent. It is a huge bonus if Mills does anything.

If Mills ain’t the guy, then in 2023/2024 we draft a QB. I don’t know if the crop of QBs is worth anything or will be better than Mills because Mills is still an unknown.

If you don’t believe the Texans were decimated talent wise and draft picks and the salary cap during the OB years then you weren’t paying attention.

We traded multiple years worth of 1st and 2nd round draft picks, the life line for any franchise for a win now season the ended with 51-7.

We couldn’t build through the draft, sign free agents if even if they wanted to play here, or keep any talent.

To me 2021 doesn’t count. No draft picks, no money, no existing talent. It is a huge bonus if Mills does anything.

If Mills ain’t the guy, then in 2023/2024 we draft a QB. I don’t know if the crop of QBs is worth anything or will be better than Mills because Mills is still an unknown.
So the team that won a playoff game and had a lead vs the eventual champs was void of talent? How did did they make it that far? C'mon man. So 2021 doesn't count becuase they didn't have a single person from the playoff team on the roster huh?

Personally, I'd like to count this as year 1 just because of the whole DW situation last year. Depending on what happens with Mills this year, we'll know if we need to draft a QB next year. If Mills is working out, I expect them to compete for a playoff spot next year. If not, then the year after.

Really barely into yr 2 considering Caserio didn't have rd 1-2 draft picks and it's going to take 2 yrs to cleanup the salary cap mess.

My biggest problem with 2021 was hiring Culley as HC. Lovie was just as available & just as good a potential head coach in 2021 as he was this year. The same could be said about Pep Hamilton; To me we just pissed away a year when we could have been installing Pep's offense under Lovie.

How much further down the road would we be if this was Mills second year in this offense. A rebuild involves more than just players. A lot of the coaching pieces could have been in place a year ago.

Really barely into yr 2 considering Caserio didn't have rd 1-2 draft picks and it's going to take 2 yrs to cleanup the salary cap mess.
You know as well as I do the cap isn't real. Not having a 1st or 2nd rd pick, I give you that, but hiring Culley after being the 1st to fire your coach is on who? Then having the 2nd oldest roster in the nfl is on who? Then firing Culley after 1 season was on who? Interviewing candidates who didn't even get interviews with anyone else is on who? I'm not saying he's done a terrible job, I'm just saying that Lovie would've taken this job in 2021. Frazier would've taken this job if Caserio wasn'r trying to pick his staff including Lovie who basically took the defensive play calling duties away from him at a previous stint.

So the team that won a playoff game and had a lead vs the eventual champs was void of talent? How did did they make it that far? C'mon man. So 2021 doesn't count becuase they didn't have a single person from the playoff team on the roster huh?

Yes.

Salary cap problem. No draft picks. No talent.

No Watt, No Hopkins, No WFV, No Tunsil, and declining Mercilus and Cunningham.

The secondary was one of the worse in the league.

How much further down the road would we be if this was Mills second year in this offense. A rebuild involves more than just players. A lot of the coaching pieces could have been in place a year ago.
Completely agree. But since we’ve brought back Lovie & Pep, it wasn’t a total waste.

just mostly

My biggest problem with 2021 was hiring Culley as HC. Lovie was just as available & just as good a potential head coach in 2021 as he was this year. The same could be said about Pep Hamilton; To me we just pissed away a year when we could have been installing Pep's offense under Lovie.

More and more I think Culley was mainly brought in to be the anti-OB and to maybe get Watson to stay, same reason Kelly was kept as OC. Remember this was before all of Watson’s dirty deeds had come out and everyone was saying if Caserio didn’t find a way to keep him on the team then he failed as a GM right at the beginning.

By the time we realized not only wouldn’t Watson stay but that we wouldn’t want him to then we were to far gone for that season and had to just roll with what we had.

You know as well as I do the cap isn't real. Not having a 1st or 2nd rd pick, I give you that, but hiring Culley after being the 1st to fire your coach is on who? Then having the 2nd oldest roster in the nfl is on who? Then firing Culley after 1 season was on who? Interviewing candidates who didn't even get interviews with anyone else is on who? I'm not saying he's done a terrible job, I'm just saying that Lovie would've taken this job in 2021. Frazier would've taken this job if Caserio wasn'r trying to pick his staff including Lovie who basically took the defensive play calling duties away from him at a previous stint.
Culley was only supposed to be on Kirby for 2 years. When he said he wasn't firing Kelly he was gone.

Doesn't really matter how we got here, Lovie is perfect for a rebuild. He knows what a championship defense looks like.

Generally agree about the cap, but not in this case. BOB left a mess to clean up behind.

How did that team go 4-12 the very next year? If not for the Jags it would have been 2-14

Culley was only supposed to be on Kirby for 2 years. When he said he wasn't firing Kelly he was gone.

Doesn't really matter how we got here, Lovie is perfect for a rebuild. He knows what a championship defense looks like.

Generally agree about the cap, but not in this case. BOB left a mess to clean up behind.
So basically, Culley chose to keep Kelly, but chose not to fire him? Is that what you're saying?

And the offense not much better with the 31st ranked rushing attack... 94 ypg and bottom half in scoring
So are you saying that the offense which was middle of the pack offensively was as bad as the defense? When you get the chance, look up the rushing offense of the last 2 superbowl winners and see where they rank. This is a passing league. Nobody has won the superbowl rushing the ball, those are just facts. Its about creating turnovers and scoring. The defense the year before created 7 to's on top of being the worse yards wise. Am I making this up?

You think Culley who coached under Reid,Harbaugh and alot of other head coaches chose Kelly, someone he had no affiliation with or was Kelly chose for him?

Kelly was chosen for him he first season in an effort to keep Watson. After that though when they planned to fire Kelly and name a new OC, most likely Pep, Culley went on camera and said there would be no personal changes and Kelly was OC. After that both were fired.

So are you saying that the offense which was middle of the pack offensively was as bad as the defense? When you get the chance, look up the rushing offense of the last 2 superbowl winners and see where they rank. This is a passing league. Nobody has won the superbowl rushing the ball, those are just facts. Its about creating turnovers and scoring. The defense the year before created 7 to's on top of being the worse yards wise. Am I making this up?
There were so many 3 and outs the defense had nothing in the second half. The offense takes it's share of the blame in that record

Back