Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
It’s not so much height as it is length.

Leonard has 34 3/8 inch arm length. Elite for the position which helps him disengage from blocks to make plays.

Wallow measures 30 7/8 which is t rex like for the position and the main reason he dropped to the 5th round. Hard to beat NFL blockers with short arms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/b3wi2h
“ Something of note: 13/67 NFL LBs have Arm Lengths shorter than 32". Ironically, this list doesn't include Shaquem Griffin, but he wasn't recorded due to his unique situation (The longer arm is 32 1/8").

Of those 13 Linebackers, only 3 have been selected for the Pro Bowl. This list is Luke Kuechly at 31", Joe Schobert at 31 1/2", and Kwon Alexander at 30 1/4".

Kuechly stands to be the greatest outlier in this. At 31", his arms are shorter than you would expect of a DPOY and potential HoF LB (All previous HoF LB of the 2000's and Patrick Willis had 32" or longer arms). His rival for "best MLB in the the NFL", Bobby Wagner, has longer arms at 33”.”
excellent breakdown on arm length. I was talking about his height mostly but you can kind of see his shortcomings with his arm length at times too. But based on the numbers being posted in here, he's not that short...he looks short on the field to me tho. I'll be specifically paying attention to him on defense these last few weeks. My gut tells me tho that he's not the guy. I hope i'm wrong.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Wallow measures 30 7/8 which is t rex like for the position and the main reason he dropped to the 5th round. Hard to beat NFL blockers with short arms.
I went back to look through the Patriot drafts between 2008-2020. The Patriots took 4 LBs with sub 32" arm lengths.

2015 Matthew Wells Arkansas 6th round 31-5/8"
2016 Kamu Grugier-Hill Eastern Illinois 6th Round 30-1/2"
2016 Elandon Roberts Houston 6th round 30-5/8"
2018 Christian Sam Arizona State 6th round 31-1/2"

All late round picks, presumably for special teams prowess. Wells and Sam never played a down in the NFL. Roberts has been a part time starter/nickel LB during his 6th year career. Grugier-Hill has mainly earned his keep as a special teamer, until playing mainly as a starting LB in his 6th year in the league.

I think Wallow was taken as a special teams ace, with the possibility of becoming a backup or nickel LB. I think he's shown that he's on that path as a rookie.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I went back to look through the Patriot drafts between 2008-2020. The Patriots took 4 LBs with sub 32" arm lengths.

2015 Matthew Wells Arkansas 6th round 31-5/8"
2016 Kamu Grugier-Hill Eastern Illinois 6th Round 30-1/2"
2016 Elandon Roberts Houston 6th round 30-5/8"
2018 Christian Sam Arizona State 6th round 31-1/2"

All late round picks, presumably for special teams prowess. Wells and Sam never played a down in the NFL. Roberts has been a part time starter/nickel LB during his 6th year career. Grugier-Hill has mainly earned his keep as a special teamer, until playing mainly as a starting LB in his 6th year in the league.

I think Wallow was taken as a special teams ace, with the possibility of becoming a backup or nickel LB. I think he's shown that he's on that path as a rookie.
Yep, guys like KGH and Wallow have the makeup to be successful ST players in the NFL. With KGH flashing this season that he can be a solid LB with extra opportunities.

But there is a reason teams value longer arm length.

Didn’t realize Keuchly had such short arms. Another successful short arm LB was Zach Thomas who measured 30.63” per his combine results. Thomas was a 5th round pick 7x all pro LB. I am shocked he hasn’t been put in the pro football hall of fame. Both he and Keuchly were MLBs and weighed in the 240s and were outliers for more reasons than short arms.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yep, guys like KGH and Wallow have the makeup to be successful ST players in the NFL. With KGH flashing this season that he can be a solid LB with extra opportunities.

But there is a reason teams value longer arm length.

Didn’t realize Keuchly had such short arms. Another successful short arm LB was Zach Thomas who measured 30.63” per his combine results. Thomas was a 5th round pick 7x all pro LB. I am shocked he hasn’t been put in the pro football hall of fame. Both he and Keuchly were MLBs and weighed in the 240s and were outliers for more reasons than short arms.
exactly who Wallow reminded me of….when I watched him these last 2 games…but I don’t remember Thomas looking as small to me. Wallow’s quick and fearless and doesn’t mind getting in the mix…but that can only carry you so far. Thomas was a thumper who packed a little bit of punch. It remains to be seen if Wallow can bring it like that.

Number19

Hall of Fame

These are the highlights from the game. Watch Wallow, whether he's part of the play or not.
Don't really know how to analyze his position. There was one running play where you may think he got beat. But it appeared he had outside contain and had a blocker on him and the runner broke inside. He didn't even appear to try at a play, but, I don't know. He appeared to play zone pass defense fairly well. Was around the play a lot. He had at least one really fine stop on a run. I don't recall any play where he was manhandled. I guess he had a fairly decent game.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
exactly who Wallow reminded me of….when I watched him these last 2 games…but I don’t remember Thomas looking as small to me. Wallow’s quick and fearless and doesn’t mind getting in the mix…but that can only carry you so far. Thomas was a thumper who packed a little bit of punch. It remains to be seen if Wallow can bring it like that.
At first when I saw #32 and the size. I thought he was a safety and thought of Blaine Bishop.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Look at who all of the candidates were. That tells you all you need to know. This was a mandate from ownership before Caserio was even hired.
Yep. The McNairs decided they would follow through on the hire of a minority HC after they mirrored O'Brien's 'I'll take a knee' press conference.

So the question is how did Cal-Boy find out about David Culley, because he absolutely had no clue who he was before this? The answer is Korn Ferry. Although Cal punted KF before going with Caserio, he brought the Culley recommendation he got from KF beforehand with him to Nick.

He was not allowed to leave under any circumstance.
Depends on time and contract expirations. He has taken a few interviews over the years, but declined over 30 other requests.

Remember Wallow wasn't going to be the pick. Caserio tried like crazy to trade up a little to draft CB Nate Hobbs but teams were either squatting or asking for 150% compensation. We'll see which, if either, works out better.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Yep. The McNairs decided they would follow through on the hire of a minority HC after they mirrored O'Brien's 'I'll take a knee' press conference.

So the question is how did Cal-Boy find out about David Culley, because he absolutely had no clue who he was before this? The answer is Korn Ferry. Although Cal punted KF before going with Caserio, he brought the Culley recommendation he got from KF beforehand with him to Nick.

Depends on time and contract expirations. He has taken a few interviews over the years, but declined over 30 other requests.

Remember Wallow wasn't going to be the pick. Caserio tried like crazy to trade up a little to draft CB Nate Hobbs but teams were either squatting or asking for 150% compensation. We'll see which, if either, works out better.
Hobbs is having a heck of a year. Would have been nice to have him as a potential core player on this defense. Though he’d be playing the slot which Tavierre Thomas has been a pleasant surprise at as well.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So, thinking back to the Patriots drafts over the years it seems to me they approached the draft differently than everyone else. They're not simply looking at best player available, but best player for their team.

& that's not necessarily a needs base approach, but a team entered approach.

It's like they might rank 5 guys as the best CBs in the draft, but target a guy who would probably rank 7th on that list.

They got away with doing it this way because of Brady/Belichick

I do like what appeared to be a clear strategy of targeting particular players & going to get them in the 2020 draft.

But I wonder what that will look like in this coming draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So, thinking back to the Patriots drafts over the years it seems to me they approached the draft differently than everyone else. They're not simply looking at best player available, but best player for their team.

& that's not necessarily a needs base approach, but a team entered approach.

It's like they might rank 5 guys as the best CBs in the draft, but target a guy who would probably rank 7th on that list.

They got away with doing it this way because of Brady/Belichick

I do like what appeared to be a clear strategy of targeting particular players & going to get them in the 2020 draft.

But I wonder what that will look like in this coming draft.
Scheme fit is just as important as talent. Although I'm a believer in getting the most talented players as possible and trying to see if they can fit your scheme. Exceptions are if you're trying to run a 3-4 defense vs a 4-3 defense or a power gap scheme vs a ZBS scheme etc...

I liked the strategy of targeting specific players and moving up or down depending on how the draft falls. I cant wait to see what Caserio can do with a full compliment of picks. This draft should give us another clue when it comes to Caserio's philosophy when it comes to the strategy of the draft and the types of players he covets.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Did Texans’ Nick Caserio go 5-for-5 in last year’s draft? Looks like it.

Nick Caserio has been the Texans general manager for a little less than a year, so it’s a little early to judge the job he’s done. Sure, the Texans – in his first season as GM – aren’t very good, but he was tasked with rebuilding a roster nearly from scratch, so he can’t be graded on wins and losses this early.

He does have one draft under his belt, though, and although it’s better to give a draft a few years before giving any final grades, his first crack at picking players seems to be a home run. Caserio had just five picks to work with – and none in the first two rounds – yet all five players he picked already are NFL starters.
Hell yes he went 5-for-5 !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That speaks louder for how atrocious the Texans were than the good job Caserio did
True,

But atleast he got starter level upgrades without having 1st/2nd rd picks.

Nice players and future solid starter level/good depth players. But what will make this a homerun draft, or not is whether Mills can become a franchise QB. So far, while the juries still out the future looks promising.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's early. But, I'm much more impressed by his draft choices than his FA pickups and trades. Too bad he traded away picks on guys that didn't play.
He did a good job in the draft considering.

He found a pro bowl nickle CB on the cheap and added 2 guys on the cheap in the FA market. I wanted Caserio to add 6-7 guys that would be part of the future in FA/draft last offseason. He met my expectations, what were your expectations?

A pick swap for Cannon really wasn't losing much. IMHO Too bad he he got hurt, but atleast Caserio can cut him and add 6 mil to the cap that some around here seem to be overvaluing at this stage of the rebuild.

He took a 5th rd flier on a young starting WR with talent. It didn't workout but it was a worthwhile gamble for a 5th rd pick. IMHO Sometimes you gamble and lose. I compare this to sitting at a $10 dollar blackjack table and losing your 1st hand. You're just getting started in the rebuild and you're going to lose some but the goal is to lose the small bets and hit the big bets. Miller was a small bet. The 1 thing you cant do is lose the $10 and get scared and walk awy because you lost $10 bucks. I dont see Caserio as this kind of guy.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Did Texans’ Nick Caserio go 5-for-5 in last year’s draft? Looks like it.

Nick Caserio has been the Texans general manager for a little less than a year, so it’s a little early to judge the job he’s done. Sure, the Texans – in his first season as GM – aren’t very good, but he was tasked with rebuilding a roster nearly from scratch, so he can’t be graded on wins and losses this early.

He does have one draft under his belt, though, and although it’s better to give a draft a few years before giving any final grades, his first crack at picking players seems to be a home run. Caserio had just five picks to work with – and none in the first two rounds – yet all five players he picked already are NFL starters.
Hell yes he went 5-for-5 !
Caserio deserves credit. It's our most successful draft since 2006, even without a 1st or 2nd.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
:toropalm:

Is Lopez starting on any other NFL team? And I liked Lopez in preseason, but what has he done? I'm sure somebody will have some PFF grade on him or whatever that "proves" how good he's been.

Garrett Wallow has barely been on the field until recently, and I don't recall hearing his name called once. And let's not forget, the Texans moved up TWICE to get him.

Brevin Jordan looks like he was coming on recently, but the Texans are so Jekyll & Hyde with their TEs. And they'll probably draft 2 more come April.

Nico Collins may have potential, but they don't really get him very involved. 10 of his 13 games played he's had 3 catches or less. Mills gets compared to other rookie QBs around here, let's not compare Nico to other rookie WRs. It likely won't be very pretty.

Out of that class, I'd have to say Mills is the best out of it, which isn't saying a lot.

Way too early to give final grades, but to say Caserio nailed this draft? Wow! Our standards around here have truly hit rock bottom.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Is Lopez starting on any other NFL team? And I liked Lopez in preseason, but what has he done? I'm sure somebody will have some PFF grade on him or whatever that "proves" how good he's been.

Garrett Wallow has barely been on the field until recently, and I don't recall hearing his name called once. And let's not forget, the Texans moved up TWICE to get him.

Brevin Jordan looks like he was coming on recently, but the Texans are so Jekyll & Hyde with their TEs. And they'll probably draft 2 more come April.

Nico Collins may have potential, but they don't really get him very involved. 10 of his 13 games played he's had 3 catches or less. Mills gets compared to other rookie QBs around here, let's not compare Nico to other rookie WRs. It likely won't be very pretty.

Out of that class, I'd have to say Mills is the best out of it, which isn't saying a lot.

Way too early to give final grades, but to say Caserio nailed this draft? Wow! Our standards around here have truly hit rock bottom.
Guys drafted where the Texans drafted their 5 in 2021 are typically developmental players for a season or two before teams know who they really are. Caserio’s 5 are on the field and contributing in whichever ways they can while going through the development process. IMHO, all 5 will be better players next season.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Guys drafted where the Texans drafted their 5 in 2021 are typically developmental players for a season or two before teams know who they really are. Caserio’s 5 are on the field and contributing in whichever ways they can while going through the development process. IMHO, all 5 will be better players next season.
I'm with you on the development process, but just because they're on the field for probably the only team in the NFL they'd be on the field for, doesn't make the draft a success, nor does it mean they're contributing.

Garrett Wallow didn't see more than 10 snaps in a game until week 13, then injuries and Covid had him out there for over 80% of the snaps against the Jags and Chargers, and he was back down to 7 snaps against the 9ers. Again a "typical developmental player" that they moved up twice to get, can't even get on the field.

Brevin Jordan never even suited up the 1st 7 weeks of the season.

Name another team Lopez is starting for that isn't as crappy as the Texans? He might actually turn out to be a decent rotational guy, but he's not a starter anywhere else but here.

And Nico has got a LOT of work to do.

So to say Caserio hit it out of the park with this draft ain't really saying much. Caserio is going to have to get a **** ton better draft class to move the needle for this franchise.

That's HUGE assumption that I hope comes true. Development has been the achilles' heel for this team throughout the last HC's tenure.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
That's HUGE assumption that I hope comes true. Development has been the achilles' heel for this team throughout the last HC's tenure.
All 5 players have had moments and flashes in which they’ve shown that this game isn’t too big for them. Rookie mistakes are to be expected in this process and time, coaching, and hard work could make 2022 a big step. Like I’ve stated before….it’s a process that I look forward to following.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
That always ticked me off. It's the HC and his staff's job to develop young players. The constant not playing or trusting young players was as much of a reflection on the coaching staff as it was on the players.

Cecil Shorts said BOB was notorious for showing game film of the Patriots and saying, "I know this play will work because this is the way the Patriots run it". He never understood that Shorts was a different type of slot WR than Wes Welker and no matter how hard he tried, he would be never able to duplicate the short area quickness of a Wes Welker.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
That always ticked me off. It's the HC and his staff's job to develop young players. The constant not playing or trusting young players was as much of a reflection on the coaching staff as it was on the players.

Cecil Shorts said BOB was notorious for showing game film of the Patriots and saying, "I know this play will work because this is the way the Patriots run it". He never understood that Shorts was a different type of slot WR than Wes Welker and no matter how hard he tried, he would be never able to duplicate the short area quickness of a Wes Welker.
It was OB's biggest weakness as a coach IMO, he couldn't get out of his comfort zone enough to adjust the scheme to fit the player. Its why so many of the plays he tried to have Watson do didn't work because they were meant for a QB like Brady. To the topic I like the picks Caserio did so far as GM but the article does something rather sneaky in saying that all 5 are NFL starters not actually difference makers. All it takes to be a starter is, well, the coach making you a starter. On this team thats not all that hard. To be a true difference maker thats another story.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Yep, you've got to have a GM that can get you the type of slot WR's that you need to run the types of routes that BOB wanted to run and there in describes the dysfunctional Houston Texans of the RS/BOB era. It was never going to work because those guys were speaking different languages.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It was OB's biggest weakness as a coach IMO, he couldn't get out of his comfort zone enough to adjust the scheme to fit the player. Its why so many of the plays he tried to have Watson do didn't work because they were meant for a QB like Brady. To the topic I like the picks Caserio did so far as GM but the article does something rather sneaky in saying that all 5 are NFL starters not actually difference makers. All it takes to be a starter is, well, the coach making you a starter. On this team thats not all that hard. To be a true difference maker thats another story.
True,

But you cant win a championship with Derrick's style of play. You do have to make his talent work for you, which BOB did last yr Derrick put up huge numbers but just as many wins last yr as this yr.

Agreed about the starters thingy. It's skewed. I look at last yrs draft as Caserio found 3 contributors and hopefully the thing that matters most, the future at the QB position. I look at Wallow as a core ST's guy that can be a solid player to step in and play well for a few weeks if your starter goes down.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yep, you've got to have a GM that can get you the type of slot WR's that you need to run the types of routes that BOB wanted to run and there in describes the dysfunctional Houston Texans of the RS/BOB era. It was never going to work because those guys were speaking different languages.
Agree. But I would counter with the HC/OC should also know what he needs because when BOB was in charge he signed Randall Cobb to be his slot WR. It was Caserio who signed Amendola who fits the scheme.
I always wondered why they didn't show any interest in Cole Beasley when he was a free agent.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Agree. But I would counter with the HC/OC should also know what he needs because when BOB was in charge he signed Randall Cobb to be his slot WR. It was Caserio who signed Amendola who fits the scheme.
Getting x-Patiots players really does well for a team.

Look at the Buccaneers. They have developed Brady and Gronk into championship players. They may repeat this year!

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Getting x-Patiots players really does well for a team.

Look at the Buccaneers. They have developed Brady and Gronk into championship players. They may repeat this year!
Its true the Buccs got something out of Brady the Pats just weren't able to get.............his signature on a contract. Gronk came along because I'm pretty sure BB and Kraft gave his soul to Brady as a farewell gift.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Depending on how they develop Caserio had a solid draft.

What were you expecting?

I was expecting quality players who can step in and perform at an NFL level if needed since Caserio didn't have 1st or 2nd rd picks. I wasn't expecting a star level player in this draft. We can debate whether Mills is the QB of the future but we wont know until about 32 starts what we have and that's if the team adds players around him. We both know what a rebuild looks like and this is the beginning of one. Where things go from here who knows, but I choose to think as a fan that Mills will be the future of the franchise and Caserio having high picks in this yrs draft will add 2 star level and 2 solid long time start through the draft. Anything else will be gravy. Add this in with another offseason where Caserio adds 3 low cost difference makers in FA and the rebuild will be well underway. Why do I choose to look at the rebuild this way? Because I'm a fan.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
True,

But atleast he got starter level upgrades without having 1st/2nd rd picks.

Nice players and future solid starter level/good depth players. But what will make this a homerun draft, or not is whether Mills can become a franchise QB. So far, while the juries still out the future looks promising.
IMO based on where the Texans were drafting last year, at a minimum, a successful draft is finding low cost players on your roster that are at least good enough to be serviceable backups on your (and presumably every other) roster. The jury is still out on these players, but there is no way that this draft wasn't successful (as long as the players continue to improve). I have no issue crushing the Texans for all the absolutely inexcusable BS they have done for the entire life of the franchise, but this is ridiculous. These players are at least good enough to compete with the FAs and next draft class. The Texans have never had significant depth at most of their positions. Depth has been the Achilles heel of this organization and IF NC can fix it, the Texans will be a competitive team.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
View attachment 9505
Here is what Caserio has to work with the next few years.
Get busy and get this ship righted!
The 2022 4th round pick is Rams', not the Texans, from the Cooks trade. The Texans 2022 4th round pick was used in the trade with the Panthers to move from the 4th to the 3rd to select Nico Collins. The 2022 7th round pick is from Chicago, not Dallas. The Texans did have the Cowboys 7th rounder, but traded it to Green Bay for a CB that Caserio cut before the season started.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The 2022 4th round pick is Rams', not the Texans, from the Cooks trade. The Texans 2002 4th round pick was used in the trade with the Panthers to move from the 4th to the 3rd to select Nico Collins. The 2022 7th round pick is from Chicago, not Dallas. The Texans did have the Cowboys 7th rounder, but traded it to Green Bay for a CB that Caserio cut before the season started.
Thanks for the clarifications.

Lots of moving around. But the only things Caserio really lost in the moving around was 15-20 spots in the 4th. The Rams pick vs their own. (One can debate whether it was worth it to move up for Collins) A 5th on a flier for a starting slot WR (Miller) and a late 7th for a flier on a CB that had the physical skills to play the position.

So as of right now if correct Caserio has these picks to work with

Rd.1
Rd.2
Rd.3
Rd.3
Rd.4, 4-20 or so
Rd.6
Rd.6
Rd.6
Rd.7

Should be able to add atleast 2 difference makers and 2 solid long time starters from this draft. Hopefully Caserio can move around and find even more solid contributors later in the draft. Say like using the 4th and a 6th/7th to move up into the bottom of the 3rd/top of the 4th to find another solid long time contributor. Adding 5 guys from the draft and 3 guys like Caserio did in FA last yr in FA (KGH/Smit/Thomas) and the rebuild will be well underway. The future could be very bright.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The 2022 4th round pick is Rams', not the Texans, from the Cooks trade. The Texans 2022 4th round pick was used in the trade with the Panthers to move from the 4th to the 3rd to select Nico Collins. The 2022 7th round pick is from Chicago, not Dallas. The Texans did have the Cowboys 7th rounder, but traded it to Green Bay for a CB that Caserio cut before the season started.
I dunno are we expecting to be rewarded any comp picks for the 2022 Draft ?