Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good Grief, have you even looked at Robinson's draft history? He pretty much wasted the windfall of picks the previous Titans GM got for trading the #1 pick in the 2015 draft. This is the kind of nightmare management that I know awaits the Texans courtesy of the File Clerk. Except I have a high confidence that File Clerk will be able to one up the current Titans GM.

Let's see, in 2016 Robinson gave up 2nd RD and 3rd RD picks to move up to the #8 pick to draft a RT Jack Conklin who now plays for Cleveland. He also drafted Kevin Dodd with pick #33, Dodd played 2 years. With pick #43 he drafted Austin Johnson who now plays for the Giants. The following year he used pick #5 on Corey Davis who now plays for the Jets. In that same year he used pick #18 on Adoree Jackson who now plays for the Giants. He only had 4 picks in 2018 draft and six in the 2019 draft. Not to mention the absolute complete horror of the 2020 draft.

If I were you I would stop touting Robinson as a Top GM. He is anything but. It's not that the Titans are a good football team. it's a matter of the AFC South is worst division in the NFL. This has inflated the Titans WIN schedule and what has allowed Robinson to blow smoke up your hiney that he is a great GM.

BTW trading a 2nd in 2022 and a 4th in 2023 for a 32 yr old, over the hill, past his prime WR, Julio Jones, was another bone headed move by Mr. Robinson.
Yet they've beaten K.C./New Orleans/Indy/Buffalo/Rams and made the AFCCG under Robinson's watch. Unbelievable that this could happen with such a bad GM. They also made the AFCCG 2 yrs ago.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Aren't teams supposed to evaluate every aspect of a player, not just their talent? I don't think that gives a GM a pass. Talent evaluation is the easiest part of the job.
Give me the most talented guys and I will take my chances. Occasionally this philosophy will lead to drafting a Wilson, but overall you will have a better team with this philosophy.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Yet they've beaten K.C./New Orleans/Indy/Buffalo/Rams and made the AFCCG under Robinson's watch. Unbelievable that this could happen with such a bad GM. They also made the AFCCG 2 yrs ago.
Your adoration and defense of Robinson is just another episode that makes me think that the real @steelbtexan has been kidnapped and his Texans Talk account has been hijacked. The real steelbtexan would've never started digging this hole and would've quit a long time ago if he did.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Aren't teams supposed to evaluate every aspect of a player, not just their talent? I don't think that gives a GM a pass. Talent evaluation is the easiest part of the job.
……yet teams continue to miss on work ethic, commitment, responsibility, and respect. I’ve always asked why, and will continue to ask why, a young man attending the NFL Combine or participating in his school’s Pro Day isn’t asked, what they would do if they won the lottery? Don’t say another word, just sit back and listen…..and nudge them towards a detailed response. No matter which round they were selected in or if they were picked up via UDFA, they have just won the lottery and should be receiving more money than they’ve ever earned up to that point.

mws

Rookie
Human nature is human nature. The sad fact is that most people work harder to accomplish something than they do after they achieve their goal. Then they want to enjoy the benefits of all their hard work.

To sift through the draft choices & be able to predict who will have the drive to push themselves once they are millionaires & have had their dream come true is what separates the good from the great GMs. It is almost as much an art as it is a science.

Physical talent can be analyzed & measured. Judging mental toughness & the ability to work through adversity is much more of a crap shoot.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Guys a stud if his ankles are OK.
I’ve gone back and forth on him. In nutshell - luxury pick. Mercenary for franchise looking to win it all. Special player even more special person. Asset to franchise. Huge red flag, injury prone. Reps need carefully managed. Would still select him if available but have option 1b/1c available.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ve gone back and forth on him. In nutshell - luxury pick. Mercenary for franchise looking to win it all. Special player even more special person. Asset to franchise. Huge red flag, injury prone. Reps need carefully managed. Would still select him if available but have option 1b/1c available.
Do you like Thibodeaux more than Hutchinson and if yes, how much more do you like Thibodeaux over Hutchinson?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Really makes one wonder, what will Caserio bring back to this roster once Deshaun is traded?

I’ve gone from optimistic to pessimistic.
The part of the question that should also scare the hell out of Texans fans is how much of the Watson haul will the File Clerk trade away?

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
StaySkeptical.jpg

This franchise, including Caserio, needs to earn the trust of fans by making good decisions that lead to on-field success. They have earned nothing at this point and deserve nothing until they can prove they are worth any hope and optimism from the fan base.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
View attachment 9368

This franchise, including Caserio, needs to earn the trust of fans by making good decisions that lead to on-field success. They have earned nothing at this point and deserve nothing until they can prove they are worth any hope and optimism from the fan base.
If you don’t have hope the franchise can turn it around what’s the point of following a team?

Hope is different than trust and confidence.

Do I hope this team turns it around? Yes. Do I trust and have confidence in this franchise? Ask me in 3 years.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you don’t have hope the franchise can turn it around what’s the point of following a team?
I honestly don't know. I've always wondered how Lions and Browns fans do it year after year. :um:

I'm starting to wonder if I have a mental illness. I love the NFL but seem unable to not root for my hometown team, regardless of how hopeless they appear to be.

I say this with both tongue-in-cheek but also a bit of seriousness. I am simply wired to always be a fan of the local team and this started with the Oilers way back when I was 10 years old. I never wanted them to leave even when I thought Bud Adams was Satan himself. And I've tried to root for other teams, but it never felt genuine. I think the only cure is to stop watching football.

It's a strange dichotomy, but also something that's in my "football bubble" and doesn't bleed over to my real life. It's just entertainment at the end of the day.

Hope is different than trust and confidence.

Do I hope this team turns it around? Yes. Do I trust and have confidence in this franchise? Ask me in 3 years.
My "hope" is that I'll be a fan of this franchise beyond this current regime and even owner. And I hope at some point they can get their act together. lol

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I honestly don't know. I've always wondered how Lions and Browns fans do it year after year. :um:

I'm starting to wonder if I have a mental illness. I love the NFL but seem unable to not root for my hometown team, regardless of how hopeless they appear to be.

I say this with both tongue-in-cheek but also a bit of seriousness. I am simply wired to always be a fan of the local team and this started with the Oilers way back when I was 10 years old. I never wanted them to leave even when I thought Bud Adams was Satan himself. And I've tried to root for other teams, but it never felt genuine. I think the only cure is to stop watching football.

It's a strange dichotomy, but also something that's in my "football bubble" and doesn't bleed over to my real life. It's just entertainment at the end of the day.

My "hope" is that I'll be a fan of this franchise beyond this current regime and even owner. And I hope at some point they can get their act together. lol
Ditto on all that I read.

Message to this franchise:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
How do you give me a GM that have a Tyrod Taylor and Davis Mills as the only QBs on the roster?
It's beyond comprehension.
Would you have to wanted him to draft a QB in the first round this past year with a pick they didn’t have?

Or sign a free agent QB with money that wasn’t available due to the mismanaged salary cap?

What were the better options?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Would you have to wanted him to draft a QB in the first round this past year with a pick they didn’t have?

Or sign a free agent QB with money that wasn’t available due to the mismanaged salary cap?

What were the better options?
He only needs to cut one guy to sign another FA like Dalton, Flacco, or Brissett.
Please don't make excuse for him.
He's supposed to have plenty of experience.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
He only needs to cut one guy to sign another FA like Dalton, Flacco, or Brissett.
To your point. I don't even recall any discussions for keeping AJ McCarron who was a veteran QB, with NFL starting experience, spent two years behind Watson, was familiar with the TK offense and even led the Texans to a first quarter TD in a meaningless game against the Titans.

It's hindsight, but maybe McCarron and Taylor should have competed for the starting job and the loser would still be a better option than Mills, Driskell or trading for Ryan Finley. Does anyone have any idea why AJ McCarron was not retained?

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
To your point. I don't even recall any discussions for keeping AJ McCarron who was a veteran QB, with NFL starting experience, spent two years behind Watson, was familiar with the TK offense and even led the Texans to a first quarter TD in a meaningless game against the Titans.

It's hindsight, but maybe McCarron and Taylor should have competed for the starting job and the loser would still be a better option than Mills, Driskell or trading for Ryan Finley. Does anyone have any idea why AJ McCarron was not retained?
TK (Thunderkyss) is a very forgiven person, I tell ya.
He didn't complain at all when Caserio let go of his favorite backup for the likes of Driskel and what's-his-name (so inconsequential I don't remember it).
:brando:

Yes, McCarron would make a lot of sense.
But hey, maybe Caserio is a genius.
He set the motion for the tank job and the wheel just turns. 😂

Oh, you did say Ryan Finley.
Betcha when I end this post, I will forget his name just the same.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I can’t speak to Mills because I don’t think anyone knows what he is. A project for sure but is he planned to be the QB of the future? Dunno.

Are those three QBs better than Mills? I don’t think it’s enough to make a playoff run with this team. You have to accept the fact, and I know you already know this, this team has too many holes that one player can’t propel them to being in the playoffs, hoping for a wild card birth, or even play a spoiler.

Do those QBs have a longer future in the NFL compared to Mills? I think that’s what we are trying to find out.

Are those QBs better than Taylor? I wouldn’t want Dalton or Flacco, but I would take Brisset. And we don’t know if they tried to sign Brisset and he said no way. He was with the Colts and knows the disfunction here.

Brisset was signed at the same time as Taylor so that is the only player that I would say would have been an upgrade from Taylor.

Does Brisset look that good in Miami? I haven’t watched so I don’t now. I would wager no because if he was setting the world on fire then Tua wouldn’t be starting.

Again - there isn’t one player that could come into reliant and make this team a playoff team or materially better.

That’s the big picture. I think you see it but just frustrated.

So no excuse from me for Caserio. Caserio can magically snap his fingers and fix everything. Too much to fix. And that’s the reality.

Plus - we didn’t even talk about if Dalton, Flacco, or Brisset had the right culture to go with this team…

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How do you give me a GM that have a Tyrod Taylor and Davis Mills as the only QBs on the roster?
It's beyond comprehension.
And he's going to pull an O'Brien with Davis Mills and double-down on his decision in spite of the obvious *cough*TomSavage2.0*cough*.

Just like the entire FO is doing with David Johnson to defend their stupid trade.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
And he's going to pull an O'Brien with Davis Mills and double-down on his decision in spite of the obvious *cough*TomSavage2.0*cough*.

Just like the entire FO is doing with David Johnson to defend their stupid trade.
Thinking of David Johnson on this roster. This was a missed opportunity by Caserio. He wasn't involved with that ridiculous Hopkins trade, released Johnson and he would have received credit for fixing another one of King Bill's mistake. Instead he restructured his contract then made the situation worse by signing Lindsay, Ingram and Burkhead. Go figure.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Backup QBs are generally what they are, backups and interchangeable. To be a good starting NFL QB you not only have to have your own personal high level talent, you must also have talent around you to help. That's why there aren't that many of them, and also why starting QBs sometimes fail when moving to another team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Pep and Culley have worked with Tyrod in the past. Tyrod knows what Culley/Pep wants the offense to look like. In this situation I would take Tyrod over the guys listed. Tyrod isn't the problem with this offense. Lack of talent on the OL, too many tells and lastly Kelly are what's wrong with the offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Thinking of David Johnson on this roster. This was a missed opportunity by Caserio. He wasn't involved with that ridiculous Hopkins trade, released Johnson and he would have received credit for fixing another one of King Bill's mistake. Instead he restructured his contract then made the situation worse by signing Lindsay, Ingram and Burkhead. Go figure.
The situation isn't worse for signing those guys. They're all on 1 yr deals.

I didn't like the DJ re-signing and would have cut him when he made the decision not to step up and hit a blitzing S in the mouth in the Cards game. This should be his last season on Kirby.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I dont have an issue with Mills being the starting QB in 2022. If he turns out to be the future then that's great. If not, Caserio will have a high pick to look for his QB in 2023.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Come on brother you know darn well this man came into a terrible situation. And i don’t think any of those guys you mentioned wanted to come here. Cam Newton turn down the Texans offer. So what makes you think those guys would’ve came here

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I can’t speak to Mills because I don’t think anyone knows what he is. A project for sure but is he planned to be the QB of the future? Dunno.

Are those three QBs better than Mills? I don’t think it’s enough to make a playoff run with this team. You have to accept the fact, and I know you already know this, this team has too many holes that one player can’t propel them to being in the playoffs, hoping for a wild card birth, or even play a spoiler.

Do those QBs have a longer future in the NFL compared to Mills? I think that’s what we are trying to find out.

Are those QBs better than Taylor? I wouldn’t want Dalton or Flacco, but I would take Brisset. And we don’t know if they tried to sign Brisset and he said no way. He was with the Colts and knows the disfunction here.

Brisset was signed at the same time as Taylor so that is the only player that I would say would have been an upgrade from Taylor.

Does Brisset look that good in Miami? I haven’t watched so I don’t now. I would wager no because if he was setting the world on fire then Tua wouldn’t be starting.

Again - there isn’t one player that could come into reliant and make this team a playoff team or materially better.

That’s the big picture. I think you see it but just frustrated.

So no excuse from me for Caserio. Caserio can magically snap his fingers and fix everything. Too much to fix. And that’s the reality.

Plus - we didn’t even talk about if Dalton, Flacco, or Brisset had the right culture to go with this team…
Many teams carry two veteran QBs and 3 overall.
Some team, like the Saints even carry 4 (including the rookie QB).
Some of these backup QB even come with a high price tag; see the Saints and the Browns for example.

Whether they could make a difference isn't the point.
It was Caserio's saying "we're going to have competition everywhere on the roster", but he didn't have it at the most important position.
Finley, Driskel, Mills; they are all dogs.
The GM needs to show the fans that he's putting the best product out there on the field much as possible. Caserio cheated the fans by having Tyrod as the only capable QB on the roster.
Brissett had learned the EP system under Belichik.
Even Newton would make sense since he had run the EP system in NE.
Flacco was traded for a 6th, and he had run all 3 major systems in the NFL.
None of these QBs, including Dalton had ever been reported of as having character issue.

Also, a rebuild team without a first and second round pick shouldn't draft a project with its high third round.
That spot needs to go to find a starter; an olineman for example.

Most posters on this board agree that it has to start in the trenches.
Even you and steelb were saying that they need protection for the QB.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Come on brother you know darn well this man came into a terrible situation. And i don’t think any of those guys you mentioned wanted to come here. Cam Newton turn down the Texans offer. So what makes you think those guys would’ve came here
He may have turned them down earlier because of TT.
He likely wants a chance to start.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There's another QB on the roster that influenced the QB situation.

Our GM was a little overconfident, I think, in thinking he could bring Watson back into the fold.
Watson came to Culley early in the season and told him he won't play for the Texans ever again.
That ought to be clear enough.
The other QBs signed with their new team about a month later.
Heck, even guys like Sieman, Beathard, or McCarron would make more sense than Driskel or Finley.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There's also incentive for Dalton: Come home.
Dalton went to Chicago knowing full well that Justin Fields is the QB of the future.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I dont have an issue with Mills being the starting QB in 2022. If he turns out to be the future then that's great. If not, Caserio will have a high pick to look for his QB in 2023.
I thought you said the GM ought to draft a QB every year until he hit one one.
Now, you're OK with Mills in 2022?
That's just hoping.