Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

He was. I don't know what happened to him since he left Cincinnati. Whatever happened, he's not that guy he was.
He's still the same guy, or almost.
He just doesn't have enough rapport with the skill players like he did in Cincy.
The offense wasn't tailored for him.
Still roughly almost a 2-1 TD/INT ratio the last 2 years.
Completion percentage up while the INT ratio actually goes down

The Cowboys D ranked 28th in points allowed last year.

He's 2-1 with the Bears this year.

I'd take him over Tyrod (and I like Tyrod).

If the GM is true to his words: " competition at all positions", let alone the most important position.

But he is correct. We have competition at that position.

And he may have the best competition that is available to Houston.

We don’t know how many QBs they asked to bring in that turned him down.

Reactions: JB
Many teams carry two veteran QBs and 3 overall.
Some team, like the Saints even carry 4 (including the rookie QB).
Some of these backup QB even come with a high price tag; see the Saints and the Browns for example.

Whether they could make a difference isn't the point.
It was Caserio's saying "we're going to have competition everywhere on the roster", but he didn't have it at the most important position.
Finley, Driskel, Mills; they are all dogs.
The GM needs to show the fans that he's putting the best product out there on the field much as possible. Caserio cheated the fans by having Tyrod as the only capable QB on the roster.
Brissett had learned the EP system under Belichik.
Even Newton would make sense since he had run the EP system in NE.
Flacco was traded for a 6th, and he had run all 3 major systems in the NFL.
None of these QBs, including Dalton had ever been reported of as having character issue.

Also, a rebuild team without a first and second round pick shouldn't draft a project with its high third round.
That spot needs to go to find a starter; an olineman for example.

Most posters on this board agree that it has to start in the trenches.
Even you and steelb were saying that they need protection for the QB.

The GM may be putting the best product on the field available to him. Newton turn him down. There are probably others.

Proposing to bring in Brisset, Flacco, or Dalton doesn’t do much. Realistically that may win you a game or two more. The team is bad as a whole everywhere. A marginally better QB isn’t going to fix much.

I'd take him over Tyrod (and I like Tyrod).
Really makes no difference to me. I really don’t want to argue Dalton vs Taylor. I don’t really think that’s the difference between winning & losing, long or short term.

If Caserio chose you as HC he most likely would have got you Dalton or Brisset. But he picked Culley & Culley picked Taylor.

Given that I think it’s interesting how the team that chose Dalton decided to use him & the team that chose Taylor decided to use him.

The GM needs to show the fans that he's putting the best product out there on the field much as possible.

I agree with what you’re saying here & the point you made about Caserio cheating the fans in regard to Taylor.

But in that same line of thinking look at how the Bears implemented Dalton’s role & how Miami implemented Brissett’s role.

Fields is now the Starter. Tua is the starter. No way I can believe either of those guys move the needle in Houston. Not enough to make a difference.

So what are we really arguing?

They only won 4 games last year with a QB a little more than marginally better. Montana wrapped in Peyton wrapped in Brady wouldn’t fix much at the moment.
I agree.

My hope for this season (6 wins) was based on the investment they put in the OL & RBs. Not QB.

If we can’t run the ball better than we did last season, if we can’t protect the QB better than we did last year, we’re not going to win more games than we did last year.

We can see the investment in the run & pass pro game failed miserably.

The QB they chose doesn’t really matter

Really makes no difference to me. I really don’t want to argue Dalton vs Taylor. I don’t really think that’s the difference between winning & losing, long or short term.

If Caserio chose you as HC he most likely would have got you Dalton or Brisset. But he picked Culley & Culley picked Taylor.

Given that I think it’s interesting how the team that chose Dalton decided to use him & the team that chose Taylor decided to use him.

I agree with what you’re saying here & the point you made about Caserio cheating the fans in regard to Taylor.

But in that same line of thinking look at how the Bears implemented Dalton’s role & how Miami implemented Brissett’s role.

Fields is now the Starter. Tua is the starter. No way I can believe either of those guys move the needle in Houston. Not enough to make a difference.

So what are we really arguing?
I'm arguing that the Texans might as well bring in 3-4 rookie QBs.
Why even bother with Tyrod Taylor.

But he is correct. We have competition at that position.

And he may have the best competition that is available to Houston.

We don’t know how many QBs they asked to bring in that turned him down.
You call that competition?
Are we watching second tier NCAA Football?

The GM may be putting the best product on the field available to him. Newton turn him down. There are probably others.

Proposing to bring in Brisset, Flacco, or Dalton doesn’t do much. Realistically that may win you a game or two more. The team is bad as a whole everywhere. A marginally better QB isn’t going to fix much.
You'd rather just have DJ on the team?
Not only he doesn't fix the RB situation, he drains the cap space that can be used for something else.
Why even bother bringing all those old guys for that matter.
Let the young guys have the opportunity.

Some posters are going to have to live with this season of tank and draft philosophy. Maybe even 2 seasons of this depending on if Mills is the guy or they can bring in a guy like Jimmy G/Ryan etc...

You'd rather just have DJ on the team?
Not only he doesn't fix the RB situation, he drains the cap space that can be used for something else.
Why even bother bringing all those old guys for that matter.
Let the young guys have the opportunity.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said such a thing nor could you make that assumption by anything I said. I don’t know why you are bringing up DJ or running backs.

I said the product you are seeing on the field could be a combination of having more to do with players refusing to play here opposed to a GM not bringing players in. Plus you have to look at the players available and cap available.

You can’t just will a better player on the roster a magically the team is winning.

You are moving the goal posts.

Do you want a completion by bringing in a bunch of failed back up QBs or a bunch of unproven rookies?

Either way it isn’t going to do anything. Everyone agrees except you.
Neither Dalton nor Newton was failed QB.
Either one of them plus another Olineman would have been much more valuable than Mills and DJ.

I ain't moving any goal post.
A project QB as a backup is a disaster that had already happened.
Many people had proclaimed they'd never seen such ineptitude on offense.

And that was a direct result of Caserio's choice.

By definition that is competition. It is just not the talent level we want but we have to deal with.
No, there was never any competition according to the HC.
Tyrod Taylor was named the starting QB right off the bat.

Other teams made trade; see the Colts and the Rams for example.

Some posters are going to have to live with this season of tank and draft philosophy. Maybe even 2 seasons of this depending on if Mills is the guy or they can bring in a guy like Jimmy G/Ryan etc...

Can we get away from this tanking nonsense. This team wasn’t tanking period, they aren’t good. That’s the reason why they losing.

Can we get away from this tanking nonsense. This team wasn’t tanking period, they aren’t good. That’s the reason why they losing.

The players aren't tanking. I said from the beginning the was a 4 win team at best. No tanking needed. It's what they were last yr also and that's with a supposed franchise QB. In short, yes they're a bad team and have been that way for awhile.

I'm arguing that the Texans might as well bring in 3-4 rookie QBs.
Why even bother with Tyrod Taylor.

Neither Dalton nor Newton was failed QB.
Either one of them plus another Olineman would have been much more valuable than Mills and DJ.

Wait - I thought Taylor was the issue…now you are adding Dalton and an Oline man to make this work?

I ain't moving any goal post.
A project QB as a backup is a disaster that had already happened.
Many people had proclaimed they'd never seen such ineptitude on offense.

And that was a direct result of Caserio's choice.

A project QB as a back up is a disaster? What do you think 4 rookie QBs are going to be competing for a starting job?

I don’t see how you are qualified to judge Caserio when you are all over the place.

The players aren't tanking. I said from the beginning the was a 4 win team at best. No tanking needed. It's what they were last yr also and that's with a supposed franchise QB. In short, yes they're a bad team and have been that way for awhile.

Management isn’t tanking either. The fans are the ones that are tanking. The team is that bad and the organization is in a horrific funk.

What it proves again is that a franchise QB needs help and is not the sole reason for winning games. Last year, the offense averaged 24 PPG, but the defense gave up 29 PPG. This year, the offense is only scoring 14 PPG and the defense is giving up 26 PPG.

The 2020 defense was one of the worst I’ve seen. The 2021 offense is one of the worst I’ve seen. Whether your QB is a supposed franchise QB or not, if your offense or defense is ranked 29th or worst, you are not winning many games.

Wait - I thought Taylor was the issue…now you are adding Dalton and an Oline man to make this work?

A project QB as a back up is a disaster? What do you think 4 rookie QBs are going to be competing for a starting job?

I don’t see how you are qualified to judge Caserio when you are all over the place.
Sounds like you missed my original post that started this argument.

I said it's a bad idea for Caserio to have only Tyrod Taylor and Mills (a project) as QBs on the roster.

In subsequent posts, I elaborate by bringing up several teams including the Browns (Mayfield/Keenum) and Saints (Winston/Hill/Sieman/Book).

Then I reiterated a point that was discussed several times in several threads about how posters on this board, including you and steelb, who stressed the need to protect the QB, and elevate the running game.

IMO, the Texans are not to the point where they could draft a project QB that has more chances to become a backup then a legitimate starter.
They're better off building the trenches with the high third round picks.
The vast majority of Olinemen drafted high in the third round ended up as good starters.
My choice was Jalen Mayfield, who made the transition from OT to LG for the Falcons. He started day one for them.

I'm like Texanballer; I want the GM to put the best players on the field; tanking be damned.

That's where Dalton, Newton, Brissett, etc. came in.

You only need to cut DJ (and maybe another unimportant JAG) to afford the highest paid QB on the FA market (Dalton).

Mayfield (at 6'5, 326 a 21yr of age) would have been better than any guy the Texans trotted out there at LG, especially in the running game.
He doesn't have the arm length to project at tackle (32-5/8), but with his width/wingspan 77-1/2 and size) and his mean streak, Mayfield can be a beast in the interior.
(Think third and short).

As for a room full of rookie QBs; that's just an out-of-the-box idea.
If you really think the team isn't going anywhere, find 3 or 4 of them in the lower rounds or as UDFA.
See if you can locate guys like Cousins/Book (4th round), Yates (5th), Bulger (6th) or Keenum/Warner (UDFA), and let them go at it.

Some more names here:

Use the money on TT for another Olineman in FA (some of the names were mentioned in the threads on Cannon and Britt.
(While still drafting a lineman like Mayfield).

What it proves again is that a franchise QB needs help and is not the sole reason for winning games. Last year, the offense averaged 24 PPG, but the defense gave up 29 PPG. This year, the offense is only scoring 14 PPG and the defense is giving up 26 PPG.

The 2020 defense was one of the worst I’ve seen. The 2021 offense is one of the worst I’ve seen. Whether your QB is a supposed franchise QB or not, if your offense or defense is ranked 29th or worst, you are not winning many games.

Yep, that's why they won 4 games last year and will do well to win 4 games this year.

An organization isn't going to say publicly "We are tanking." An organization will sign a bunch of crappy players and mediocre coaches and get the same results. It's what people do, not say, that counts.
Quoted for truth

If you predicted the team would suck…..& they actually you know, suck, then you were right. What I don’t understand is why so many fans feel the need to complain about the suck they’re seeing, or worse, come at other fans for having an optimistic view of what could happen. Ive heard of misery loving company, but some of you guys in here just wanna complain. No way anyone should be as upset about how this team/franchise has performed given what we all knew was coming. It is what it is.

If you predicted the team would suck…..& they actually you know, suck, then you were right. What I don’t understand is why so many fans feel the need to complain about the suck they’re seeing, or worse, come at other fans for having an optimistic view of what could happen. Ive heard of misery loving company, but some of you guys in here just wanna complain. No way anyone should be as upset about how this team/franchise has performed given what we all knew was coming. It is what it is.
Focus.
Complaining is Job 1.
You're not a fan if you don't complain. :brando:

I know they suck. I knew they were going to suck. I optimisticly hoped they would be competitive especially against bad teams.

I don’t think we were competitive against the Jets. They were clearly the better team. I absolutely did not expect that this late in the season. We’ve been treading water. The Jets have been swimming upstream. Struggling. Slowly. But they’re moving upstream.

The Jags too. They looked like crap earlier this season. They’re a better team. We have as little chance to beat them as we do the Colts.

My hope has moved on to 2022

Back