Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's not just a 7th rounder, it was also a 4th rounder. What the hell is going to be when a 1st and 2nd rd is available. What it is, is a pattern of bad behavior and decision making. Its going to be worse, a lot worse when Nick has more to play with. His MO and his spots says it will. Giving away draft picks for people who were getting cut and restructuring contracts borrowing money from the 2022 and 2023 seasons in order to pay a bunch of nobodies it extremely troubling. Nick has already borrowed from future drafts and salary caps for a bunch of backups and has already cut one without the first snap being made.
How many draft picks a 4th and a 7th? A bunch of pick swaps.

The Texans org is doomed.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
After what Bull O’Brien did to this ball club, some of you guys really tripping on a 7th round pick NC gave up for Finley. Lol like a 7th rounder is going to actually do something in this league. Strong possibility a 7th rounder wouldn’t even make the team.
6th and 7th rounders are nothing but UDFAs you pick up early. I don't understand the hubbub over it either.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After what Bull O’Brien did to this ball club, some of you guys really tripping on a 7th round pick NC gave up for Finley.
O’Brien can’t be the bar. We can’t fall into the trap of saying, “At least it wasn’t as bad as what O’Brien did.”

Lol like a 7th rounder is going to actually do something in this league.
I don’t think Caserio traded a drat pick for Finley. My understanding is we swapped picks so that Nick could cut him.

Finley probably ghosted Nick’s baby sister & Caserio was paying him back. Wanted to look him in the eye & make sure Finley knows who’s black balling him.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's not just a 7th rounder, it was also a 4th rounder. What the hell is going to be when a 1st and 2nd rd is available. What it is, is a pattern of bad behavior and decision making. Its going to be worse, a lot worse when Nick has more to play with. His MO and his spots says it will. Giving away draft picks for people who were getting cut and restructuring contracts borrowing money from the 2022 and 2023 seasons in order to pay a bunch of nobodies it extremely troubling. Nick has already borrowed from future drafts and salary caps for a bunch of backups and has already cut one without the first snap being made.
Man Collins was pretty darn good in Michigan. But this is solely about what we gave up for a player who probably wouldn’t have made the final cut.

Texansballer74

The Marine
O’Brien can’t be the bar. We can’t fall into the trap of saying, “At least it wasn’t as bad as what O’Brien did.”

I don’t think Caserio traded a drat pick for Finley. My understanding is we swapped picks so that Nick could cut him.

Finley probably ghosted Nick’s baby sister & Caserio was paying him back. Wanted to look him in the eye & make sure Finley knows who’s black balling him.
But it is the bar when it comes to how he approach the draft. O’Brien was giving away picks like government cheese. NC only gave up a 7th or like you stated swapped the picks. Then Texien acting like we gave up a king’s ransom for Collins. I’m like come on man

mussop

Hall of Fame
The only way that I can possibly justify signing these guys is if this front office is deliberately tanking on purpose to get the 1.1 pick in 2022. And that type of mentality is its own set of problems.
it’s what I would do. Winning 2 or 3 games this year is going to accomplish what? Actually I would’ve taken it a step further. I would of traded back and out of this draft as much as possible.

Last edited:

mussop

Hall of Fame
If Mills truly believed a few opinions about being a future 1st RD draft pick, as a smart Stanford boy he would have certainly stayed and fattened his wallet. He did not. Either Mills does not believe the future 1st RD draft pick crap or he's not the smart Stanford kid we think he is.
Lol maybe he said fkit why go through another year of this COVID BS when I can get/drafted and start making money now. it could pop up again next year and shut the whole season down. Why risk it?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
it’s what I would do. Winning 2 or 3 games this year is going to accomplish what? Actually I would’ve taken it a step further. I would of traded back and out of this draft as much as possible.
If you see a guy you believe will be a player in three years, I’d go for it.

I mean if I’m Nick, I’m getting ready to win in 2023.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately wins will probably be few and far between. Caserio will be blamed for this by some.

Me I just want to see growth from Mills/Collins/Jordan etc...

Blacklock/Martin grow along with guys like Wallow on defense.

This is the start of the journey. If Caserio hadn't come from the Pats fans would be alot more on board.
Someone I'll be keeping an eye on, and someone who just may really have an impact, is Phillip Lindsay. If we can get improved line play, give this guy a small opening and he's off to the races. He's already a proven pro bowler as a rookie, and with no significant injury issues. If Culley can build a game plan around his strengths and he can return to his 2018 and 2019 form, our offense may be potent. We may surprise with our wins this year.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
But it is the bar when it comes to how he approach the draft. O’Brien was giving away picks like government cheese. NC only gave up a 7th or like you stated swapped the picks. Then Texien acting like we gave up a king’s ransom for Collins. I’m like come on man
NFL careers are much shorter nowadays then the 6 years I read about a number of years ago.
Now, it's like 3.5 years.

I like Collins, but he has to make it, and quick.

And giving away 30 spots (from 7th to 6th) is also important, even if it's not a huge deal.

We still haven't tallied all of NC's moves, but I do agree with those who point out the questionable or poor decision(s) by the new GM , to various degree.

Because they all add up in the long run.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Man Collins was pretty darn good in Michigan. But this is solely about what we gave up for a player who probably wouldn’t have made the final cut.
Man are you gullible. Your research needs some work. Collins college stats suggest anything but pretty darn good.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Lol maybe he said fkit why go through another year of this COVID BS when I can get/drafted and start making money now. it could pop up again next year and shut the whole season down. Why risk it?
Mills played in the PAC-10 and they essentially threw away their 2020 season. There are no guarantees that the PAC-10 will play the 2021 season.....so I could see Davis Mills’ dilemma; sit around and hope for a full 2021 CFB season or just throw my hat into the NFL Draft. I’m glad that he opted for the NFL and the Texans got him in RD3 but he shouldn’t be expected to come in and unseat Taylor as the QB1 in 2021....he’ll be far better prepared for that competition in 2022. The Texans might have spent a 2022 RD1 pick on this very same QB had he waited another season but that might’ve depended on the PAC-10 paying a season of CFB.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m still in wait and see mode although I’m not over the moon with Nick Caserio. I just get the feeling he’s more of the same. His flurry of transactions to me felt like an illusion in the end with the team no better off than they were before the 2021 offseason.

Someone reading this may respond with the question what I would have done different “since you seem to know everything”. What I would have done is in the rebuild thread.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why does anyone think they (or anyone else) has to be an expert to have an opinion? I am not an expert on all this horseshit and I definitely have opinions. :lol:
Has nothing to do with being an expert. But you have members questioning a fans research. I’ve watched a lot of Michigan games dating back to 92. In my opinion (not research) Collins was pretty solid for Michigan.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Has nothing to do with being an expert. But you have members questioning a fans research. I’ve watched a lot of Michigan games dating back to 92. In my opinion (not research) Collins was pretty solid for Michigan.
You say that like it’s supposed to mean something. Do we need to go over all the WR busts that the professionals, who watch a **** ton more games and film than you do, get wrong? But somehow YOU did research so YOU are in the know?

And this isn’t a knock on Collins. I actually like him, though I do have my reservations. But I think I’m going to “wait and see” how he plays. Feels like I’m ripping off that phrase from somebody around here, but oh well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You say that like it’s supposed to mean something. Do we need to go over all the WR busts that the professionals, who watch a **** ton more games and film than you do, get wrong? But somehow YOU did research so YOU are in the know?

And this isn’t a knock on Collins. I actually like him, though I do have my reservations. But I think I’m going to “wait and see” how he plays. Feels like I’m ripping off that phrase from somebody around here, but oh well.
Charley Casserly and RS were supposedly professionals.

Matt Millen etc....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's easy for some to say your evals aren't good because your not a professional. NM the fact that you've been watching/playing football for in some cases 40/50 yrs.

The only difference the professionals have is they have all of the extra access to in person interviews/background checks/injury history etc... and yet they still fail with this information. See: Signing DW4 to the big contract and him being a perv.

I take certain posters who I've had years of interactions with on here just as seriously as I have RS/BOB/Caserio etc... You're one of the posters that I like to get evals from because we see things the same way often. BL is also in that group. I really like BB's draft thread because we see prospects differently and I like a different perspective on what a guys strengths and weaknesses may be. Davenport's abilities is a great example of what I'm talking about.

What I dont care for is somebody who doesn't watch much college football/prospects that comes in and rips the draft picks without knowing much about them except what Kiper/McShay tell them on ESPN.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Care to show where he gave away picks?

Trading pick swaps and getting a player you like (Cannon) isn't giving away picks.

It's getting your guy and keeping a lotto ticket.
No it's like tossing away a lotto ticket when you were getting "your guy" anyway. Cannon would've signed with the Texans, anyway. Where was the market for a 33 year old RT who hasn't played in 2 years? Non-existent. It's 2 instances in one draft that Caserio pissed away picks. Very O'Brienish. They weren't high picks (thank Goodell). But, it's a bad precedent for a team beginning a massive rebuild. Will he be this nonchalant with high draft picks, or treat them like the gold they are?

The core of the rebuild will be draft picks, not bottom of the barrel free agents. And Nick's going to need to get lucky with 3rd day picks sometimes to make it work. That's the reality. This doesn't work just because Caserio makes moves. It works if he makes the right moves. He gets a long leash, so there's plenty of chances at more mistakes or redemption. This is the toughest job in the league, right now. Caserio needs to act like every scrap of draft capital and cap space counts. Right now, he's not acting like it does.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's easy for some to say your evals aren't good because your not a professional. NM the fact that you've been watching/playing football for in some cases 40/50 yrs.

The only difference the professionals have is they have all of the extra access to in person interviews/background checks/injury history etc... and yet they still fail with this information. See: Signing DW4 to the big contract and him being a perv.
Man some people are a freaking trip. All they want to do is argue and nitpick. No way did I suggest or act like I know everything. Of course there will be a lot of bust across the darn league. Even these so called experts get a lot crap wrong. All I did was state my opinion. Crazy thing is why are we bringing up Collins when the topic was about Finley getting cut and NC given up a 7th rounder for him. Man some of these fans just wants to complain about every darn thing. Especially when they don’t like a certain person. In this case Nick Caserio.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No it's like tossing away a lotto ticket when you were getting "your guy" anyway. Cannon would've signed with the Texans, anyway. Where was the market for a 33 year old RT who hasn't played in 2 years? Non-existent. It's 2 instances in one draft that Caserio pissed away picks. Very O'Brienish. They weren't high picks (thank Goodell). But, it's a bad precedent for a team beginning a massive rebuild. When he be this nonchalant with high draft picks, or treat them like the gold they are?

The core of the rebuild will be draft picks, not bottom of the barrel free agents. And Nick's going to need to get lucky with 3rd day picks sometimes to make it work. That's the reality. This doesn't work just because Caserio makes moves. It works if he makes the right moves. He gets a long leash, so there's plenty of chances at more mistakes or redemption. This is the toughest job in the league, right now. Caserio needs to act like every scrap of draft capital and cap space counts. Right now, he's not acting like it does.
Speculation and the cost of flipping draft picks is really low. The benefit is you know you get your guy. He still had a low rd draft pick. He gave up 15-20 draft slots to get his guy and still had draft capital to move back up for Jordan. If losing 15-20 draft slots in the later rds is the curve you're judging a GM by then every GM is going to be a failure in your eyes.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Why does anyone think they (or anyone else) has to be an expert to have an opinion? I am not an expert on all this horseshit and I definitely have opinions. :lol:
How much of an expert do you've to be to recognize a bubble butt, thick ankles, runs fast, runs slow, is athletic, can throw the ball 60 yds, to know that completion % of 70% is very good, a TD to INT ratio > 3 is also very good, that a WR with 100 catches, 1800 yds receiving and 12 TDs is a good WR?

Texansballer74

The Marine
General manager Nick Caserio, speaking right after the selection, touted Collins' pro-level attributes.He’s got good size, he runs well, he’s got good hands, so he catches the ball well,” Caserio said. “He’s got good playing strength. So, again, how is that going to translate into our system and into NFL competition? We’ll find out.”

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
How much of an expert do you've to be to recognize a bubble butt, thick ankles, runs fast, runs slow, is athletic, can throw the ball 60 yds, to know that completion % of 70% is very good, a TD to INT ratio > 3 is also very good, that a WR with 100 catches, 1800 yds receiving and 12 TDs is a good WR?
Either the Texans do well and I'm excited, or they are a pile of dogshit and I b*tch about it. And I don't need expertise for either. :)

OptimisticTexan

No it's like tossing away a lotto ticket when you were getting "your guy" anyway. Cannon would've signed with the Texans, anyway. Where was the market for a 33 year old RT who hasn't played in 2 years? Non-existent. It's 2 instances in one draft that Caserio pissed away picks. Very O'Brienish. They weren't high picks (thank Goodell). But, it's a bad precedent for a team beginning a massive rebuild. Will he be this nonchalant with high draft picks, or treat them like the gold they are?

I’m on the other side of the coin. Caserio was handed a team in turmoil from top to bottom. I think he’s made a lot of moves to change the culture versus just trying to run with the some cast of characters and hoping for better results.

2021 was going to be a tough season to begin anything in earnest and Watson’s situation did nothing to help the transition. Basically, Caserio had both hands tied behind his back and drastic changes were needed.

2022 will be the season that Caserio begins to set the table for the Texans rebuild. He’s brought in enough bodies this off-season to hopefully find some players worth holding onto for another season or two on the cheap. I do believe Caserio must try and move both Watson and Tunsil before the season initiates or the trade deadline this season so he can pocket the much needed draft capital for 2022 and 2023. If he accomplishes this, it would look more like a successful move out of Belichick’s trade playbook. Caserio should be in a better cap position come 2022.

2023....this will be the season that Caserio can add the veteran pieces and drafted rookies to the roster to begin putting the final pieces in place. NFL should be back to a full cap for teams and the Texans should be in a position cap wise to finally be in a position to do some required off-season work.

It’s going to be a process to unduck 19 years of ineptitude and I’m fine with Caserio getting this opportunity.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

General manager Nick Caserio, speaking right after the selection, touted Collins' pro-level attributes.He’s got good size, he runs well, he’s got good hands, so he catches the ball well,” Caserio said. “He’s got good playing strength. So, again, how is that going to translate into our system and into NFL competition? We’ll find out.”
.....he’s also got a great catch radius, ability to win most catch or contested passes, and possesses enough deep speed to make a difference. I had studied up on this guy and saw a potential difference maker in the veins of AJ and Hopkins. I made him a target in my very first draft for 2021 which might’ve been around Dec or Jan.

He has 27 CFB games under his belt between 2017-2019. His 2020 season was off. The Michigan 2017-2019 QB situation was nothing to be excited about which probably translated to lower numbers than what Nico was capable of. The one thing that could’ve been a real possibility, if Collins gets a 2020 and 2021 season under his belt......getting him in RD3 would’ve been a pipe dream. After his Senior Bowl performance, a few analyst moved him into a RD1-RD2 projection.

Like Mills, Collins is coming to the NFL a full season early, imo, so give him a season to learn and play in certain situations while adding another 10-12 lbs and NFL strength and he could really be something come 2022.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Mills played in the PAC-10 and they essentially threw away their 2020 season. There are no guarantees that the PAC-10 will play the 2021 season.....so I could see Davis Mills’ dilemma; sit around and hope for a full 2021 CFB season or just throw my hat into the NFL Draft. I’m glad that he opted for the NFL and the Texans got him in RD3 but he shouldn’t be expected to come in and unseat Taylor as the QB1 in 2021....he’ll be far better prepared for that competition in 2022. The Texans might have spent a 2022 RD1 pick on this very same QB had he waited another season but that might’ve depended on the PAC-10 paying a season of CFB.
I think I'd have to disagree with his decision not to come back to school.

In the first scenario that the college season is cut down (highly unlikely, with the FDA already given the green light for the third vaccine which is JJ back in Feb and the increasing number of people surveyed who said they will get a shot as soon as they can), he would still be considered a round one pick next year - if you believe what some said.

In the second scenario, again, if you believe what some said, he might even be the top QB chosen.

As I had posted a link a few days ago, the first rounders all receive a fully guaranteed contract, for at least 4 years while a third rounder is only guaranteed the signing bonus (which for Mills was $1.1M and change and a total of $5.22M.

Trevor Lawrence's contract was for nearly $37M and Mac Jones nearly $16M.

He would be leaving a lot of money on the table.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If Caserio hadn't come from the Pats fans would be alot more on board.
That's because of the historical results of ex-Patriots staff members. O'Brien is the most successful of them all. Think about that.

Belichick teaches his underlings what he needs them to do for him, and apparently nothing more. He does not seem to give one iota about preparing them for post-NE career or his "coaching tree" legacy.

If Caserio fails, he just joins a long list of ex-Patriots staff that failed.

If Caserio succeeds, he's no. 1 on a very, very short list.

Yep. I've already braced myself for a 1-2 win season.

And I'd be "okay" with that if I believed this front office could actually build a team with high picks. Like Andy Dufresne crawling through a mile of Shawshank prison sewage to his freedom sort of metaphor. I'd hate to see the Texans crawl through their mile and just end up in another septic tank.

My jury is still out, but tbh, I don't have much confidence in anything with this franchise right now.

Time, of course, will tell. Until then, I remain the skeptic I am to my core. I am who I am.

Texian

Hall of Fame
The Michigan 2017-2019 QB situation was nothing to be excited about which probably translated to lower numbers than what Nico was capable of.
Wishful Thinking? Shea Patterson, QB Michigan was regarded as a 5-star prospect by Scout, Rivals, and 247Sports, and a 4-star by ESPN. He was the highest rated recruit at his position by all four recruiting services (as a pro-style quarterback on 247Sports and Scout, and a dual-threat quarterback by Rivals and ESPN). Patterson was the 4th-highest rated recruit overall in the class of 2016 on the 247Sports Composite, which aggregates the ratings of the four recruiting services.

Patterson began his college football career at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) before transferring to the University of Michigan. Among his collegiate highlights are the Ole Miss single-game passing yards record and the Michigan records for single-game (regulation) passing touchdowns, consecutive 300-yard passing games and consecutive 4-touchdown passing games. His senior season (2019) passing yardage total was second in school history. He was a two-time third-team All-Big Ten Conference selection.

So much for Collins poor QB play.

"We must be careful not to believe things simply because we want them to be true. No one can fool you as easily as you can fool yourself!" - Richard Feynman

Nico Collins was not the best WR on Michigan. Collins stats were middle of the road at best in rankings of 200 WRs.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’m on the other side of the coin. Caserio was handed a turmoil from top to bottom. I think he’s made a lot of moves to change the culture versus just trying to run with the some cast of characters and hoping for better results.

2021 was going to be a tough season to begin anything in earnest and Watson’s situation did nothing to help the transition. Basically, Caserio had both hands tied behind his back and drastic changes were needed.

2022 will be the season that Caserio begins to set the table for the Texans rebuild. He’s brought in enough bodies this off-season to hopefully find some players worth holding onto for another season or two on the cheap. I do believe Caserio must try and move both Watson and Tunsil before the season initiates or the trade deadline this season so he can pocket the much needed draft capital for 2022 and 2023. If he accomplishes this, it would look more like a successful move out of Belichick’s trade playbook. Caserio should be in a better cap position come 2022.

2023....this will be the season that Caserio can add the veteran pieces and drafted rookies to the roster to begin putting the final pieces in place. NFL should be back to a full cap for teams and the Texans should be in a position cap wise to finally be in a position to do some required off-season work.

It’s going to be a process to unduck 19 years of ineptitude and I’m fine with Caserio getting this opportunity.
I'm in toss-up mode, but leaning toward not agreeing with the direction NC is taking.
As previously said, a player career now is very short. Veteran players' cost is high.

I'd rather have more young players in camp to see if they can take the next step.

Cannon is a good player, but 33 years old.
Where will he be three years from now when the Texans should be ready to compete?

Can they save that money for a FA at that time while giving some youngsters the chance to grow?

Isn't our OL coach supposed to be good such that he can take Howard and Scharping up a notch?

Britt is different but same same.
After those injuries, the medical history by the experts show that his play would only diminish (highly likely), and he wasn't all that great to begin with before the injury.

Ingram is nice and cheap, but again where will he be in 2023?

So on and so forth.

OptimisticTexan

Wishful Thinking? Shea Patterson, QB Michigan was regarded as a 5-star prospect by Scout, Rivals, and 247Sports, and a 4-star by ESPN. He was the highest rated recruit at his position by all four recruiting services (as a pro-style quarterback on 247Sports and Scout, and a dual-threat quarterback by Rivals and ESPN). Patterson was the 4th-highest rated recruit overall in the class of 2016 on the 247Sports Composite, which aggregates the ratings of the four recruiting services.

Patterson began his college football career at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) before transferring to the University of Michigan. Among his collegiate highlights are the Ole Miss single-game passing yards record and the Michigan records for single-game (regulation) passing touchdowns, consecutive 300-yard passing games and consecutive 4-touchdown passing games. His senior season (2019) passing yardage total was second in school history. He was a two-time third-team All-Big Ten Conference selection.

"We must be careful not to believe things simply because we want them to be true. No one can fool you as easily as you can fool yourself!" - Richard Feynman

Nico Collins was not the best WR on Michigan. Collins stats were middle of the road at best in rankings of 200 WRs.

Don’t get so excited about Shea Patterson.....where’s he at today? I think he’s playing in some Spring League trying to hold onto a dream. He never lived up to his hype and I was never impressed watching him (when available) at Michigan.

OptimisticTexan

I'm in toss-up mode, but leaning toward not agreeing with the direction NC is taking.
As previously said, a player career now is very short. Veteran players' cost is high.

I'd rather have more young players in camp to see if they can take the next step.

Cannon is a good player, but 33 years old.
Where will he be three years from now when the Texans should be ready to compete?

Can they save that money for a FA at that time while giving some youngsters the chance to grow?

Isn't our OL coach supposed to be good such that he can take Howard and Scharping up a notch?

Britt is different but same same.
After those injuries, the medical history by the experts show that his play would only diminish (highly likely), and he wasn't all that great to begin with before the injury.

Ingram is nice and cheap, but again where will he be in 2023?

So on and so forth.
I believe most of the players Caserio signed are bridge players until something better comes along. If some of these guys elevate their games beyond the “Bridge Player” mantra, then that’s a solid score for Caserio since he should be able to get them on a cheap contract before consistent play for 2-3 seasons might dictate a real bump in pay.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Don’t get so excited about Shea Patterson.....where’s he at today? I think he’s playing in some Spring League trying to hold onto a dream. He never lived up to his hype and I was never impressed watching him (when available) at Michigan.
He still threw for second most yards in a season in Michigan history (Nico had it better than most). And made 3rd team All Big 10 as compared to Nico only making honorable mention. No one can fool you as easily as you can fool yourself. Just because you want it to be so doesn't make it so. @steelbtexan has a middle school saying that applies to all of your wishing, wanting and hoping.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I believe most of the players Caserio signed are bridge players until something better comes along. If some of these guys elevate their games beyond the “Bridge Player” mantra, then that’s a solid score for Caserio since he should be able to get them on a cheap contract before consistent play for 2-3 seasons might dictate a real bump in pay.
While I do like some signings, for example the DBs Mitchell, King, and Thomas, I would have like to see them moving on from Roby.

His pay doesn't offer value in a Tampa Two scheme.
I think it's better for the Texans to give those guys more time on the field.

Occasionally when they need a speed guy to follow a deep thread, Thomas does have 4.38 speed at his pro day.
King and Mitchell can play man but they just don't have the speed to keep up with those gazelles.

Roby is rather expensive for a team in rebuilding mode, IMO.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Exactly, the man did what he did with the little resources that he came into. Next year will be a different story. He will have draft picks in I believe every round to work with. And since we’re doomed to have the worst recorded in the NFL, we have the luxury of drafting high in every round. Add in what we will possibly get for the bone head name Watson ,we should be set. These complainers know this, so why the negative outburst on every thread.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Exactly, the man did what he did with the little resources that he came into. Next year will be a different story. He will have draft picks in I believe every round to work with. And since we’re doomed to have the worst recorded in the NFL, we have the luxury of drafting high in every round. Add in what we will possibly get for the bone head name Watson ,we should be set. These complainers know this, so why the negative outburst on every thread.
To counter the Kool Aid Drinkers.
Ying and Yang, all that.
Otherwise, it would be boring as heck.
:ahhaha:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep. While I'm skeptical about this organization, I do not think we have enough to work with as it pertains to grading Nick Caserio. They say it takes at least 2-3 seasons to see what a GM is really about simply because you have to see how the talent they acquire develops.

So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and want to see what he does with the 2022 draft and potential draft capital he can negotiate for an eventual Watson trade.

I understand where his critics are coming from and fans right now want to analyze anything simply because it's better than the on-going Watson drama, buy I just can't get worked up about a bunch of late round picks. Those players are usually long shots and there's a reason why they are being drafted late.

frethack

Rookie
I think I'd have to disagree with his decision not to come back to school.

In the first scenario that the college season is cut down (highly unlikely, with the FDA already given the green light for the third vaccine which is JJ back in Feb and the increasing number of people surveyed who said they will get a shot as soon as they can), he would still be considered a round one pick next year - if you believe what some said.

In the second scenario, again, if you believe what some said, he might even be the top QB chosen.

As I had posted a link a few days ago, the first rounders all receive a fully guaranteed contract, for at least 4 years while a third rounder is only guaranteed the signing bonus (which for Mills was $1.1M and change and a total of $5.22M.

Trevor Lawrence's contract was for nearly $37M and Mac Jones nearly $16M.

He would be leaving a lot of money on the table.
This is mostly true, and clear as day with May 25th 2021 knowledge.

When Mills had to declare for the draft, he was using January 18th 2021 knowledge, which was quite uncertain...especially for California.

And as you insinuate, future performance and draft status isn't guaranteed. I can't fault him for his decision to leave. I don't think he is our future QB, but his decision was sound.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OptimisticTexan

He still threw for second most yards in a season in Michigan history (Nico had it better than most). And made 3rd team All Big 10 as compared to Nico only making honorable mention. No one can fool you as easily as you can fool yourself. Just because you want it to be so doesn't make it so. @steelbtexan has a middle school saying that applies to all of your wishing, wanting and hoping.
......maybe he does but at any given time, you might want to pick a new team to be associated with since you see nothing but doom, gloom and no one in the organization being quite as smart as you.......wait a second, is this OB?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is mostly true, and clear as day with May 25th 2021 knowledge.

When Mills had to declare for the draft, he was using January 18th 2021 knowledge, which was quite uncertain...especially for California.

And as you insinuate, future performance and draft status isn't guaranteed. I can't fault him for his decision to leave. I don't think he is our future QB, but his decision was sound.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I used February information, if you read my post carefully.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
As far as the draft is concerned, there are things that call "draft capital" (how many picks, in what rounds and orders) and "draft return" (what you can get out of the amount of draft capital you have) to measure true "draft efficiency".

The Texans may not have first and second round picks, nor any comp picks, but they did have an additional 4th and two 6ths.
They also have the third pick in each of the rounds starting with the 3rd rounds.

And we would look at the draft that way.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Another thing we ought to consider when evaluating NC is that even though he doesn't have a first and a second, he does have Tunsil.
Tunsil is a surer thing than a first and a second (that may or may not pan out).

When the Texans finally trade Watson; NC will no longer be behind the curve, unless he couldn't get two first round picks out of the trade.
If he gets more, he would be ahead of the curve, IMO.
The cap situation will solve itself next year, as the Texans will no longer have Watson's number to deal with (which should please a number of posters here).

With 5 QBs drafted in the first round this year and only Brees and Rivers retiring, there will be less competition for a QB in FA and the draft.

The Texans really ought to become competitive next year talent-wise.

They just need good coaches and a good FO, Cal McNair aside.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Fair enough. One of the few who can defend their position well.
A QB that checks all the boxes but needs to be polished in the 3rd is a very legit defense. Had he stayed in school and more covid issues happen...he misses another year. Perhaps he is very smart. Come out now and get a good deal. Prove his worth over the next 3 seasons...and then ink a monster deal in year 3-4. We shall see what happens. But we can only go by what the draft talking head experts are saying and the 50-50 of what is on film.