Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Making the Texans team in 2021 was no great feat. Dozens of guys working at Home Depot and Lowes could have made the Texans last year and this year. Is it possible to add much older players thru the draft?

Agreed, but that wasn't my point. My point is as Caserio has more draft picks to work with the team will get younger. How quickly that happens is kinda tied to the Derrick situation.

Culley was clueless. So I didn't have a problem in that instance. If it continues with Lovie...it will become a problem
It's a problem. After listening to the entire press conference yesterday there is no doubt that even thou there is no I in team, Nick Casserio thinks this all about him. A narcissist of the highest order.

He will begin to add young players through the draft. Look at how many players from last years draft made the team and that was without 1-2 nd Rd picks.
They should've had the most undrafted free agents and reclamation projects. They still should be doing the same. They would've won those same 4 games with a younger roster. Roster needs youth all the way around. They need to be in position to poach a young player like Cincy took Reader. They shouldn't have the oldest running back room in the nfl

Semantics really...its verified that the dude was on the headset for the better part of 20 years. Are you really suggesting in that time he never said anything on the headsets that contributed to winning games for them? I find that about as hard to believe as you do that Easterby might be offering something valuable to a football operation.

At the end of the day, i'm just glad the whole HC search thing is over.......Now if we could just get this Watson **** finished, maybe this board could tone down some.

No, it's not about semantics. It's very specific details that are being ignored.

Belichick himself said Caserio just listened but never gave him advice. He had Ernie Adams for his analytics advice from the very beginning.

The mysterious Ernie Adams discusses role with Patriots and long friendship with Bill Belichick

Adams says he works on a number of facets of the game, including coaching, scouting the draft, and managing the salary cap. He’s in the coaches’ booth for every game with a direct line to Belichick’s headset.

The New England Patriots Suffer the Monumental Loss of Bill Belichick’s Mysterious Right-Hand Man

When Belichick looks to be talking to himself while he meanders up and down the sidelines on game day? It’s Adams on the other side of his headset, sitting in the press box and feeding the head coach any information he can gather.

During one of the NFL Films documentaries about the Patriots it was mentioned that Ernie has been in this role with Bill since he became a head coach.

Your source is wrong. He was doing more than “just listening. “

“Nick Caserio’s been talking to me for the better part of 10 years,” McDaniels said. “He tells me where the ball’s at, what hash it’s on, what’s the down and distance. He’ll say, ‘Left hash, second and 7 at the 33.’ Then sometimes I’ll call the personnel, then he’ll say, ‘Hey, they subbed nickel in.’ He’ll continue to communicate with me until the end.”

He was talking to the OC, not the head coach. Show me any evidence that Caserio was giving direct game decision advice to Bill Belichick.

Google your heart away.

Most head coaches do not want their GM in their ear during games telling them what plays to run.

Most head coaches do not want their GM in their ear during games telling them what plays to run.
Agreed.

still, it's what Caserio did when he was in New England. Whether he was talking to the OC, or the HC, or what his title was... I mean being on the headset, part of the game is part of Caserio's experience.

If I felt he was giving orders on the headset, I'd have a problem with it. If he's just being part of the process, like he is when he's throwing the ball in practice, I have no problem with it.

If I felt he was giving orders on the headset, I'd have a problem with it. If he's just being part of the process, like he is when he's throwing the ball in practice, I have no problem with it.

If he's barking orders that's a problem. If he's evaluating his staff on game time decisions and the process behind it, I love it. I honestly don't understand why more gm's don't listen in.

He was talking to the OC, not the head coach. Show me any evidence that Caserio was giving direct game decision advice to Bill Belichick.

Google your heart away.

Agreed.

still, it's what Caserio did when he was in New England. Whether he was talking to the OC, or the HC, or what his title was... I mean being on the headset, part of the game is part of Caserio's experience.

If he's barking orders that's a problem. If he's evaluating his staff on game time decisions and the process behind it, I love it. I honestly don't understand why more gm's don't listen in.
Caserio's job, as defined by Belichick was to give the OC the down, distance, spot location and time on the clock immediately after each play. This is something you would assign to admin assistant.

Last edited:
Caserio's job, as defined by Belichick was to give the OC the down, distance, spot location and time on the clock immediately after each play. This is something you would assign to admin assistant.
True. But I don't think it's a big deal if Caserio humbles himself & continues in this role. It's not like he has to. He enjoys doing it. I don't think it takes away from his GM duties

True. But I don't think it's a big deal if Caserio humbles himself & continues in this role. It's not like he has to. He enjoys doing it. I don't think it takes away from his GM duties
Caserio is only doing what Caserio knows how to do. This is a failure to fully understand the job of the GM. Caserio needs to assign these duties to an admin assistant in much the same way that Bill Belichick did. Caserio needs to start acting like the GM he is instead of acting like the admin assistant he was. The problem with this is he doesn't know how. There are much more important things for a GM to do on game day instead of being on a headset calling down and distance on every play.

No, it's not about semantics. It's very specific details that are being ignored.

Belichick himself said Caserio just listened but never gave him advice. He had Ernie Adams for his analytics advice from the very beginning.

During one of the NFL Films documentaries about the Patriots it was mentioned that Ernie has been in this role with Bill since he became a head coach.

Google your heart away.

lol, it’s already been shown by other posters in here that he was in the ear OF THE ACTUAL PLAYCALLER for NE…doesn’t matter if it was the HC or not…especially if that HC was like Belichick and not actually calling the offensive plays…furthermore, whether it was NC or not, the point is Belichick had SOMEONE in his ear helping him with game management which is why the “outrage” around NC doing it with Culley was so overblown. If it’s good enough for the GOAT, it was good enough for Culley.

so again, semantics…..unless you’re saying that somehow there is a fundamental difference in him being on the headset with the OC vs the HC. Point remains, he was on there helping with game management.

Google your heart away.

Go to 56.45 in the video. Over at 57.10.

You will see it live.

That game was in 2009.

What are your thoughts on that?

Caserio is only doing what Caserio knows how to do. This is a failure to fully understand the job of the GM.
Makes him sound down to earth, part of the team to me.
Caserio needs to assign these duties to an admin assistant in much the same way that Bill Belichick did
I think he should let the coach know what he can do. Then let the coach decide if he wants Caserio’s assistance performing those duties.

Belichick, the de facto GM in New England, even when Caserio was there was on the headset.

Caserio is doing what he learned from Belichick in New England
There are much more important things for a GM to do on game day instead of being on a headset calling down and distance on every play.

I know you really believe that which makes a lot of your arguments unintelligible

Last edited:
I don't understand this disagreement with Caserio, up in the press box, analyzing what's going on and then communicating down to the field. Don't all teams have coaches, or someone, in the press box and doing this? Or is this too old school and no longer done? What I do know for a fact is my high school coaching staff did this back in the 60's. So why the big deal with Caserio? Do you disagree with the team doing this? Or just who it is doing this?

I don't understand this disagreement with Caserio, up in the press box, analyzing what's going on and then communicating down to the field. Don't all teams have coaches, or someone, in the press box and doing this? Or is this too old school and no longer done? What I do know for a fact is my high school coaching staff did this back in the 60's. So why the big deal with Caserio? Do you disagree with the team doing this? Or just who it is doing this?

There are more GMs that do it. This was back in 2011.

I am sure it is more widespread than what we know.

I also see it as a way for GMs to evaluate their coaches.

If he's up top with a better view of personnel coming into the game and relaying that info to the field where they don't have the greatest view of things, I've got no problem with him on the head set. But other than that, stay in your lane and let the coaches coach.

Personally I'd like to see my GM bringing in talented players and at least start building a competitive roster, which I haven't seen him do yet, rather than doing things you hire people on a coaching staff to do. Maybe that's just me.

So why the big deal with Caserio?
I think it’s about Caserio staying in his lane. It’s a coaching position subordinate to the HC.

So to me it depends on what’s being said. If Caserio is on the headset providing information and opinions, I have no problem with it. If he’s telling the coaching staff how to manage the game, it’s a problem.

like the Patriots about to score. Romeo & Nick suggested the Texans should let the Patriots score. The Texans would then have time to drive & win the game with a FG.

Culley said he didn’t agree. That’s not the way he thinks. He decided they were going to make a stand even if the clock runs out. Which it did. Caserio suggested, Culley decided to go another way. I don’t have a problem with that

Makes him sound down to earth, part of the team to me.

I think he should let the coach know what he can do. Then let the coach decide if he wants Caserio’s assistance performing those duties.

Belichick, the de facto GM in New England, even when Caserio was there was on the headset.

Caserio is doing what he learned from Belichick in New England

I know you really believe that which makes a lot of your arguments unintelligible
You probably should put yourself in timeout for 72 hours and then delete you last 10 posts.

Agreed.

I really don't care if he's on the headset or not.

And I don't care if he's giving his thoughts.

What I do care about is a clueless head coach that needs that kind of guidance and instruction during a game from his GM. It's a sign that they picked a guy that is not capable of the job. And that bad decision points directly to the GM that needs to be his training wheels in games. It's pathetic.

That said, I'm glad they quickly realized it and upgraded the position within a year. I'm not predicting anything about Lovie's Texans, but he's head and shoulders a better choice at HC than Culley.

What I do care about is a clueless head coach that needs that kind of guidance and instruction during a game from his GM. It's a sign that they picked a guy that is not capable of the job. And that bad decision points directly to the GM that needs to be his training wheels in games. It's pathetic.
If that’s what was going on.

TexansBull posted a video of Caserio talking to Belichick over the headset. It’s my understanding those were the type of contributions Caserio had with Culley.

The problem gentlemen is Caserio telling the coaching staff to let a team score. He’s not evaluating, he telling them what to do. Telling a coach who to play or who not to play. On the field that should be the coaches job. Caserio needs to focus on his job. Especially right now since this team is in full rebuild mode.

The problem gentlemen is Caserio telling the coaching staff to let a team score. He’s not evaluating, he telling them what to do. Telling a coach who to play or who not to play. On the field that should be the coaches job. Caserio needs to focus on his job. Especially right now since this team is in full rebuild mode.
That’s not my understanding. Nick & Romeo offered the opinion that may lead to a win. It wasn’t an order.

Watch the video TexansBull posted up thread.

That’s not my understanding. Nick & Romeo offered the opinion that may lead to a win. It wasn’t an order.

Watch the video TexansBull posted up thread.
No sir we lost that game against the Patriots. Nick told them to let them score in the 4th quarter. In which helped the momentum to shift in the Patriots favor. We we’re up 22-15. Culley basically said he did not understand why they were letting them score.

Culley basically said he did not understand why they were letting them score.
His words were. “That didn’t compute. My mind doesn’t think that way.”

still it wasn’t an order, it was a suggestion. Romeo suggested it as well. For all we know Romeo suggested 1st & Caserio agreed.

& Culley decided against it. He had final say. It wasn’t like Lovie said, “Nick signs the check, so I let them score.”

No sir we lost that game against the Patriots. Nick told them to let them score in the 4th quarter. In which helped the momentum to shift in the Patriots favor. We we’re up 22-15. Culley basically said he did not understand why they were letting them score.

From the article I posted it sounds like they were tied and in the 2 minute situation. It sounds like Culley went to Nick because Culley says he immediately went on a line with Nick. You got Romeo Crennel and Caserio saying to let them score. Get the ball back with time and hope to score a touchdown to win. It sounds too that Culley wasn’t keeping up with what was going on. He said “All of a sudden now from that point on I’ve learned to be ahead of those things.”

Culley also made some head scratching in game calls. I remember there was a penalty he declined on a punt or something like that being discussed. It sounds like Culley needed that help a lot more than what we may have thought.

And let’s dial it back a bit - it has always been suggested that the HC should have a person to help with clock management, challenges, analytics.

It sounds like Nick did that to some degree and extent in New England.

Caserio has a deeper understanding about almost all phases of football game and front office operations than most GMs.

I get the second guessing. He is from New England and a lot of those guys flamed out. But he studied for years under one of the best learning all of the previous stuff I mentioned.

Caserio’s primary function in most peoples eyes is to evaluate talent like drafting well and cap management. Which it should be because that will get him fired.

But he is rebuilding the Texans organization. He is going to be involved in multiple areas because that is what he was taught. We have to wait and see if he actually knows what he is doing.

Also - this article is written by Florio who is always writing something negative or misinformed about the Texans. He is also misinformed about Caserio because he wrote “Caserio was to listen and not speak on the headset.” We know that is false.

“Just like I go back to the two-minute situation when we’re in it,” Culley said. “I immediately went on a line with Nick, and obviously he and [senior football advisor] Romeo [Crennel] talked about it, and he says, ‘OK, our timeouts now, how do we need to use these timeouts?’ And then immediately, ‘OK, depending on what happens on this play, we need to call it. If this doesn’t happen then don’t call a timeout.’ So all those things are discussed before we ever get to that point. We’re usually a play ahead of that. When it happens, then I’ve got to be ready to make that decision. That’s usually with all those kinds of decisions.

“I go back again to the New England game, I can remember just like it was yesterday that the conversation went, ‘Let them score.’ I heard the conversation, and then all of a sudden it didn’t compute to me at that time. All of a sudden now from that point on I’ve learned to be ahead of those things.”

His words were. “That didn’t compute. My mind doesn’t think that way.”

still it wasn’t an order, it was a suggestion. Romeo suggested it as well. For all we know Romeo suggested 1st & Caserio agreed.

& Culley decided against it. He had final say. It wasn’t like Lovie said, “Nick signs the check, so I let them score.”
Again no GM should be telling nobody to let a team score period. Especially when your team is winning 22-15. Makes no sense whatsoever. I don care how anyone tries to spin it. His job is to be a GM. But typical Texans fashion they allow the people to come in do what they want to do. And the crazy part a Texans fans backs this type of foolery. Who cares if he was on the headset listening in or giving input. He wasn’t the GM back then.

Last edited:
As a side note.

I am off the Caserio train. I won't be rooting against him, but I'm just going to wait until he's replaced.

I'm really disappointed Josh McCown hasn't accepted a coaching job with the Houston Texans. Apparently he's only "all in" if he's the HC.

& I'm disappointed Caserio was a timely lawsuit away from making him the HC of the Houston Texans.

As a side note.

I am off the Caserio train. I won't be rooting against him, but I'm just going to wait until he's replaced.

I'm really disappointed Josh McCown hasn't accepted a coaching job with the Houston Texans. Apparently he's only "all in" if he's the HC.

& I'm disappointed Caserio was a timely lawsuit away from making him the HC of the Houston Texans.

I want to see two full drafts before I jump ship.

The McCown and dead money situation is concerning.

But it was a **** show coming into everything, hindsight is 20/20, and we never know the full scope of why decisions are made.

I still like everything he can add. He has a depth of understanding of the game that most GMs don’t or are training to learn in the future. My guess.

I will keep the Kool Aid chilled for you in the event you want to come back to the dark side.

Wouldn't be the first time a team was let score so other team had time to win game

Wouldn't be the first time a team was let score so other team had time to win game
Not at that time. It was basically at the beginning of the 4th. And we were up 22-15. And normally they let them score when they’re losing, not when they’re winning.

It didn't happen and we don't know the power dynamics in the organizations' decision making process.

I wouldn't let speculation cloud your judgment on Nick. It's still early.

Just wanted to check in and see what Madge and the rest of the gals are discussing from under their hairdryers at the beauty shop. Nope. Nothing has changed, lol.

As fans we get a fraction of the details. All we can do is b*tch about what's happened and speculate about what will.

If you don't want gossip don't step in the parlor.

(Fun fact: I shave my head and I'm bald.)

Not at that time. It was basically at the beginning of the 4th. And we were up 22-15. And normally they let them score when they’re losing, not when they’re winning.
Not necessarily when losing. But I do remember it later in the game. Let them score the TD, tie the game. Then come down & kick a field goal to win the game.

If that wasn't the situation, I can't imagine why RAC would suggest it.

They scored that touchdown at the 9:31 mark in the 4th.
View attachment 9738

The strategy would have been to let them score a touchdown instead of allowing them to run out the clock and kick the winning field goal.

See, Culley decided to NOT let them score a touchdown. Instead, he allowed the time to run out at the end of the game to get that field goal. What Romeo and Nick were suggesting was to go ahead and allow the Patriots to score a touchdown so they would go up 29-22 but would give the Texans the ball with time on the clock so we'd have a chance to go down and tie the game.

The TD that tied the game was not what Romeo and Nick were talking about.

It didn't happen and we don't know the power dynamics in the organizations' decision making process.
I know McCown was listed as one of three finalists.

I know he said he was all in.

I know he is not on the coaching staff.

I don't like that he was a finalist but apparently doesn't want to coach in the NFL at a position other than HC.

That guy will never be a HC.

I know McCown was listed as one of three finalists.

I know he said he was all in.

I know he is not on the coaching staff.

I don't like that he was a finalist but apparently doesn't want to coach in the NFL at a position other than HC.

That guy will never be a HC.

Don't get me wrong, I was vehemently against McCown before any Flores politics. But it didn't happen. I'm still trying to judge NC in an unbiased fashion. I don't know how long that will last.

How much meddling does Cal do and what real influence does jack have? Yet to be determined.

As fans we get a fraction of the details. All we can do is b*tch about what's happened and speculate about what will.

If you don't want gossip don't step in the parlor.

(Fun fact: I shave my head and I'm bald.)

LOL

The Easterby look

And I dont think Caserio wanted McCown to become HC. That was Easterby.
That's even worse. I want Easterby's "influence" to be so far from Caserio that if he says, "I like Bieniemy, or Saleh for HC." That Caserio doesn't even interview them, then hire David Culley & say, "There's your guy."

Please, don't respond to me about Saleh's faith, or any particulars about Bieniemy & try to grasp the underlying point.

If McCown was Easterby's choice & he got 3 interviews & named as a finalist, Caserio is not the guy we thought he was, or who we want him to be.

Maybe he'll become that guy, but right now he's not.

That's even worse. I want Easterby's "influence" to be so far from Caserio that if he says, "I like Bieniemy, or Saleh for HC." That Caserio doesn't even interview them, then hire David Culley & say, "There's your guy."

Please, don't respond to me about Saleh's faith, or any particulars about Bieniemy & try to grasp the underlying point.

If McCown was Easterby's choice & he got 3 interviews & named as a finalist, Caserio is not the guy we thought he was, or who we want him to be.

Maybe he'll become that guy, but right now he's not.
I don’t know why there are disagreements about Easterby’s influence and power. Yes, sometimes it’s over stated. However, it cannot be disregarded, ignored or minimized because some want to make him a victim of religion hating

Last year, there was no football reason for McCown to be the 3rd string QB and I doubt BOB would have signed him. From the day he was signed, Easterby had this agenda to make him the HC.

I am glad that Caserio, Cal and Janet did not sign-off on McCown. However, even though he lost this battle, Easterby is not going to bat .0000. The concern is how many of his questionable “suggestions” will be endorsed? Based on a couple of @CloakNNNdagger‘s posts. It appears many posters are correct that he has his input or has his hands in everything the Texans does and it’s a certainty that he will eventually convince the McNairs and/or Caserio to act on one of his out of the box suggestions.

Back