Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

A guy with no HC experience wanted to jump the line and go from backup QB money to HC money.
I don't blame him for that. Heck, I didn't even play & I want HC money.

I have absolutely nothing against Josh McCown. But the guy who would pick such a person as a finalist after an extensive search, that guy is incompetent & shouldn't be running an NFL franchise.

I don't blame him for that. Heck, I didn't even play & I want HC money.

I have absolutely nothing against Josh McCown. But the guy who would pick such a person as a finalist after an extensive search, that guy is incompetent & shouldn't be running an NFL franchise.

Other than him thinking he's just going to bypass paying his dues, putting the time in, and working his way up the ladder, which is a slap in the face to every coach, minority or not, who puts in those years, I've got nothing against him either. Oh, that and the fact he seems unwilling to even go through the process and won't take any job that isn't HC.

But you're right, the person who has him in the conversation is the bigger problem. Ain't but one person that we're apparently making too big a deal about that that falls on. If anything ever comes of Brian Flores' lawsuit it's that the Texans found themselves in a position where hiring McCown was going to look even worse than it already was. Not even Mr. it's a great time to be a Texan and the most thorough search I've ever seen could allow that.

That's even worse. I want Easterby's "influence" to be so far from Caserio that if he says, "I like Bieniemy, or Saleh for HC." That Caserio doesn't even interview them, then hire David Culley & say, "There's your guy."

Please, don't respond to me about Saleh's faith, or any particulars about Bieniemy & try to grasp the underlying point.

If McCown was Easterby's choice & he got 3 interviews & named as a finalist, Caserio is not the guy we thought he was, or who we want him to be.

Maybe he'll become that guy, but right now he's not.

Cal lied

I'm confused. Did Cal or Caserio actually say McCown was a finalist? I read where other people said it, or insinuated it, but I never saw where one of them actually said it. I've never thought Caserio actually considered McCown for the HC position. I think he was being considered for QB Coach or Offensive Assistant, but never HC. I think all of that was just people jumping to conclusions because McCown was brought in. He might have only been brought in to entice other teams to interview him.

The Texans PR department put out that he was a finalist. They put out that he was notified he would not be the HC, just like they announced the other finalists weren’t being awarded the HC

It’s not that he isn’t the HC. It’s that he is not coaching at all. How can you seriously consider someone for the position (3 interviews) who has no desire to coach

Has no desire to be an assistant coach. Who said Caserio was truly considering McCown?

I'm just glad this all worked out.

Caserio is only doing what Caserio knows how to do. This is a failure to fully understand the job of the GM. Caserio needs to assign these duties to an admin assistant in much the same way that Bill Belichick did. Caserio needs to start acting like the GM he is instead of acting like the admin assistant he was. The problem with this is he doesn't know how. There are much more important things for a GM to do on game day instead of being on a headset calling down and distance on every play.
To be fair, he's on the headset during the game. We don't know what he's doing the rest of the time on game day. Whatever more important things Caserio is neglecting during the game, Rick Smith was apparently neglecting them as well as he was planted next to Bob McNair in the owner's box during the games.
Seems to me the GM has earned the right to sit back and enjoy the game. The fact that he chooses to stay engaged and plugged in during the game....kudos to him!
I don't know why or the reasoning behind bringing Culley in, you talk to 10 people and you'll get 10 different theories and they each got it from someone in the "know". Perhaps someone will write a book someday. But I'm guessing that NC realized very early in the game that Culley was in over his head and needed whatever help he could give him before, during and after the game!
I doubt Lovie is going to need the same type of game time input that NC felt that Culley needed. Not to say he won't be on the headphones...

Personally, I think McCown was a red herring.

I'm going to go full foil suit on this but... I would not be surprised if this wasn't Patriot level misdirection, possibly even Caserio trying to determine when and where they have leaks.
I'd feel much better if I could be convinced of that. We'll see what other decisions he makes. So far it's 50/50. It fits with the 50% dumsht he's done

Damn near every pick was a hit and it was only his first draft
:toropalm:
Let's try this again.
Collins had a 54% catch rate. 199th out of 208 with 30+ targets.

Jordan didn't suit up the 1st 7 weeks. Averaged 2.2 catches per game. I can lay more of that on the Texans use of TEs, or lack of use, but to say this is a hit? Nah. Not yet anyway.

Wallow barely saw the field. And the only time he did was 2 games because of injuries and Covid. Then he was back to 9 defensive snaps combined the last 2 games.

Lopez had a missed tackle percentage of 18.4%, 13th highest. Not sure he sees the amount of snaps anywhere else that he saw here.

Mills - jury definitely still out, but definitely not a hit yet.

Damn near every pick was a hit? Not even close. Not after their 1st year at least. Still way too early for a final judgement though.

:toropalm:
Let's try this again.
Collins had a 54% catch rate. 199th out of 208 with 30+ targets.

Jordan didn't suit up the 1st 7 weeks. Averaged 2.2 catches per game. I can lay more of that on the Texans use of TEs, or lack of use, but to say this is a hit? Nah. Not yet anyway.

Wallow barely saw the field. And the only time he did was 2 games because of injuries and Covid. Then he was back to 9 defensive snaps combined the last 2 games.

Lopez had a missed tackle percentage of 18.4%, 13th highest. Not sure he sees the amount of snaps anywhere else that he saw here.

Mills - jury definitely still out, but definitely not a hit yet.

Damn near every pick was a hit? Not even close. Not after their 1st year at least. Still way too early for a final judgement though.

In the Texans World….having 5 of 5 draftees return to the team the following year with an opportunity to crack the starting lineup, be a solid backup, or a solid contributor on ST’s is a “hit”. Based on past drafts how could we view it as anything less?

In the Texans World….having 5 of 5 draftees return to the team the following year with an opportunity to crack the starting lineup, be a solid backup, or a solid contributor on ST’s is a “hit”. Based on past drafts how could we view it as anything less?

Because OB, Rick Smith and Casserly aren’t here?

I guess that’s what happens when a fan base is conditioned to have the bar set so low.

It’s too early to tell one way or the other, and it’s easier to be pessimistic about picks because the stats rookies put up usually aren’t in the top quartile. Especially for 3rd round and later picks. Which is all Caserio had to work with.

Hopkins had a 57% catch rate. The number one receiver was AJ. For Collins the number one was Cooks. Plus you had a journeyman veteran QB benched for a 3rd round rookie. Will Nico turn into a Hopkins. Probably not but their rookie stats aren’t too far off.

To really digest the stats you have to look at other factors that may or may not contribute to those stats.

You just have to wait a few years you know what you got out of the draft.

Easy, when the team is so bad that half of the players on the team could not make the roster on the other 31 teams. Therefore, 5 players in top 250 players in the NFL draft could easily make the Texans. No problem. If the Texans had 20 draft picks, all would likely have made the 2021 team roster.

Last edited:
I think Mills, Collins, & Lopez were hits.

Jordan looks as talented as we hoped, but he wasn't much of a factor. Still, for where he was drafted, expectations should be realized in year two. Same with Wallow, but I'm not really seeing the promise there.

Because OB, Rick Smith and Casserly aren’t here?

It’s too early to tell one way or the other, and it’s easier to be pessimistic about picks because the stats rookies put up usually aren’t in the top quartile. Especially for 3rd round and later picks. Which is all Caserio had to work with.

Hopkins had a 57% catch rate. The number one receiver was AJ. For Collins the number one was Cooks. Plus you had a journeyman veteran QB benched for a 3rd round rookie. Will Nico turn into a Hopkins. Probably not but their rookie stats aren’t too far off.

To really digest the stats you have to look at other factors that may or may not contribute to those stats.

You just have to wait a few years you know what you got out of the draft.

Not arguing any of that. I’m arguing against those saying Caserio nailed the draft

How did you become such a glass half-full type of fan?
How full or empty the glass is has nothing to do with anything. I’m just saying that as wrong as it to say the draft is a bust this early, it’s just as wrong to say it’s a hit.

To be fair, he's on the headset during the game. We don't know what he's doing the rest of the time on game day. Whatever more important things Caserio is neglecting during the game, Rick Smith was apparently neglecting them as well as he was planted next to Bob McNair in the owner's box during the games.
Seems to me the GM has earned the right to sit back and enjoy the game. The fact that he chooses to stay engaged and plugged in during the game....kudos to him!
I don't know why or the reasoning behind bringing Culley in, you talk to 10 people and you'll get 10 different theories and they each got it from someone in the "know". Perhaps someone will write a book someday. But I'm guessing that NC realized very early in the game that Culley was in over his head and needed whatever help he could give him before, during and after the game!
I doubt Lovie is going to need the same type of game time input that NC felt that Culley needed. Not to say he won't be on the headphones...
What Caserio did on the headset in New England is exactly what he's doing on the headset in Houston. It's what he knows how do. Caserio is an admin assistant who can't make the transformation to being a GM. The difference is the GM in New England assigned an admin assistant the responsibility of giving OC down and distance after each play.

Texans had the first HC opening and were the last to fill. Caserio picked Culley because no serious coach wanted anything to do with the Texans dumpster fire. And because Culley gave Caserio full control. Regardless of the reason why, if your very first major decision is to hire David Culley, that is a serious red flag for all other future decision making. In areas of fiscal responsibility, roster management and draft logic these decisions too proved to be equally as inept and flawed as the David Culley hiring.

Caserio's flaws in management abilities and decision making are the reasons why Caserio was not able to hire a 2nd head coach and why Cal had to step in to get the job done.

Lovie will probably have no problem with Caserio being on headset with Pep giving Pep the down and distance. As long as Caserio is not on Lovie's headset.

Last edited:
Not arguing any of that. I’m arguing against those saying Caserio nailed the draft

How full or empty the glass is has nothing to do with anything. I’m just saying that as wrong as it to say the draft is a bust this early, it’s just as wrong to say it’s a hit.

So you don't think Mills is the guy? Because if you do then Caserio absolutely nailed that draft.

Easy, when the team is so bad that half of the players on the team could not make the roster on the other 31 teams. Therefore, 5 players in top 250 players in the NFL draft could easily make the Texans. No problem. If the Texans had 20 draft picks, all would likely have made the 2021 team roster.

Agreed on this, the keepers are Mills/Collins, I think Collins is really going to improve because he didn't play his last year in college and seemed to be playing well the last month of the season after he made it back from a fluke injury.

Everybody else in the draft are either high end backups that can step in and start a few games if necessary and play well, or ST's guys.

We aren't used to getting contributors, much less starting level guys after the 2nd Rd around these parts.

I agree its far to early to say he hit 5/5 in the draft but that being said if Mills turns into a solid backup, a decent bridge QB or, shooting for the stars here, a legit starter and all it cost was a 3rd round pick then I would say he did nail the draft because he addressed the biggest gorilla in the room. I think Mills will be one of those 3 and if so then we are no longer held hostage, from a on field point of view, to Watson nor do we have to keep bring in one year high dollar vets.

Like I said earlier, if you liked all of the 2021 FUBARS, you are going to LOVE all of the 2022 FUBARS. The File Clerk's first major FUBAR of 2021 was the hiring of David Culley. The File Clerk's first major FUBAR of 2022 will most likely be hiring a HC he could've hired last year. GET YOUR POPCORN READY!
UUMMM MALI MALI MALI UUMMM!

I agree its far to early to say he hit 5/5 in the draft but that being said if Mills turns into a solid backup, a decent bridge QB or, shooting for the stars here, a legit starter and all it cost was a 3rd round pick then I would say he did nail the draft because he addressed the biggest gorilla in the room. I think Mills will be one of those 3 and if so then we are no longer held hostage, from a on field point of view, to Watson nor do we have to keep bring in one year high dollar vets.
Right, if you want to come back in 4-5 years, we can say whether he nailed it or not. After 1 year though, considering the picks given away to acquire a couple of these players (Nico & Wallow), though early, it ain't looking good. We'll see if any of that changes in year 2.

After 1 year though, considering the picks given away to acquire a couple of these players (Nico & Wallow),
If you are thinking they could have got the same player later in the draft I could see your point.

But if you want that particular player & he was drafted where he was projected, I don't agree.

You get a player that is worth 60, or two players, one worth 32 & another worth 28. I'm fine with the one worth 60.

If you are thinking they could have got the same player later in the draft I could see your point.

But if you want that particular player & he was drafted where he was projected, I don't agree.

You get a player that is worth 60, or two players, one worth 32 & another worth 28. I'm fine with the one worth 60.

Getting Collins later, probably not. They got him at 89 and didn’t have a pick until 109, but they gave up 3 to go get him, including a 4th this year. Seems like a pretty steep price to get a late 3rd who didn’t even play ball in 2020. He’s really going to have to break out if he’s going to make that worth it.

And then giving up 3 picks to get Wallow, who barely even played? There they’d already given up two 6’s to move to 174, where if Wallow was there, fine. But they have to give up 1 more pick to grab him at 170? Don’t even care that that 1 more pick was a 7th.

And let’s not forget the wasted picks for Finley (cut before OTAs), and Izzo and Ka’dar Hollman, both cut at the end of camp.

Reactions: JB
The above quote was moved from Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) thread to Nick Caserio - New GM thread. Interesting how UUMMM MALI MALI MALI UUMMM has an appropriate thread. I had no idea. Thanks for moving UUMMM MALI MALI MALI UUMMM to its proper place.

Like I said earlier, if you liked all of the 2021 FUBARS, you are going to LOVE all of the 2022 FUBARS. The File Clerk's first major FUBAR of 2021 was the hiring of David Culley. The File Clerk's first major FUBAR of 2022 will most likely be hiring a HC he could've hired last year. GET YOUR POPCORN READY!

The above quote was moved from Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) thread to Nick Caserio - New GM thread. Interesting how UUMMM MALI MALI MALI UUMMM has an appropriate thread. I had no idea. Thanks for moving UUMMM MALI MALI MALI UUMMM to its proper place.

Not speaking for the mod who moved the post, but context matters

Agreed on this, the keepers are Mills/Collins, I think Collins is really going to improve because he didn't play his last year in college and seemed to be playing well the last month of the season after he made it back from a fluke injury.

Everybody else in the draft are either high end backups that can step in and start a few games if necessary and play well, or ST's guys.

We aren't used to getting contributors, much less starting level guys after the 2nd Rd around these parts.
Eric Winston, Ben Jones, were drafted where? What about Owen Daniels and Arian Foster?

Getting Collins later, probably not. They got him at 89 and didn’t have a pick until 109, but they gave up 3 to go get him, including a 4th this year. Seems like a pretty steep price to get a late 3rd who didn’t even play ball in 2020. He’s really going to have to break out if he’s going to make that worth it.

And then giving up 3 picks to get Wallow, who barely even played? There they’d already given up two 6’s to move to 174, where if Wallow was there, fine. But they have to give up 1 more pick to grab him at 170? Don’t even care that that 1 more pick was a 7th.

And let’s not forget the wasted picks for Finley (cut before OTAs), and Izzo and Ka’dar Hollman, both cut at the end of camp.

So Caserio believes in Collins.

And Caserio gave up a bunch of 6-7ths rd picks to move up and get atleast what should be a core ST's guy who looked pretty good replacing a hurt KGH. BTW, I dont think Wallow will ever be a long time starter, but I think he can be a very valuable depth piece when injuries inevitably hit. Well worth trading up a bit for a guy like that. What I dont like is if Caserio was going to trade up he should've moved up for Hobbs, who played for Lovie.

Wonder what Lovie thinks of Joseph/Kramer? I could see Kramer as a 6th rd pick.

Eric Winston, Ben Jones, were drafted where? What about Owen Daniels and Arian Foster?

3rd/3rd/4th/UDFA

You point out the good, I will ask you to look at the RS/BOB/Gaine GM yrs and tell me either one of those guys did an avg job of drafting in the 3rd rd or later. Remember Brennan Williams? Braxton Miller? Jalen Strong? Louis Nix RIP? Savage? Sam Montgomery/Trevardo Willims/Caldwell/Molden/Fred Bennett/Rankin etc... I say all of this to point out how bad several different GM's have been terrible picking guys in the 3rd/4th rd for the Texans. This is why the Texans have never had enough depth to be contenders.

Far more bad than good, I happen to think Mills is going to be a very good NFL QB and even if I'm wrong he will be a quality backup. I also believe Collins is better than about 95% of the previous GM's 3rd rd picks. Not saying the bar has been set high.

Back