Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

There won't be changes that drastic that soon

What is your quess of how many pro sports franchises (from any sport) will fold before all this is over with? And you're not going to be packing stadiums anytime soon.

What is your quess of how many pro sports franchises (from any sport) will fold before all this is over with? And you're not going to be packing stadiums anytime soon.

Billionaires aren't noted for folding... I won't make any guesses, nor will I play chicken little

NY has already allowed training to resume so fans can watch sports

This could become more interesting. Could even screw a little with Las Vegas. If passed, the NFL will allow the alternative to the onside kick, to be used whether the team is leading, trailing or tied.

You never know. Pro sports is going to lose an incredible amount of money this year, and possibly next year as well, how they recover from that might be the dreaded "reorganization" effect. Owners aren't going to bleed money forever.
I'm thinking a lot of casual fans have found other things to do during this mess. I know I have. If the NFL goes under, I'm not sure I'll miss it.

Defenseless player protections may be extended for kick returners
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2020, 4:24 PM EDT

NFL owners will vote this week on a rule proposal that will expand the definition of “defenseless” players to include punt and kickoff returners even after they have caught the kick.

The proposal, which was put forward by the Competition Committee and will be voted upon by the owners, expands defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but has not had time to avoid or ward off an opponent.

Defenseless players are protected from forcible hits to the head or neck area, hits from an opponent who lowers his helmet to make forcible contact, and hits from an opponent who launches into him. Kickoff and punt returners are already considered defenseless when they are attempting to field a kick that is in the air. But this proposal would extend the “defenseless” definition to include a returner “who has not had time to clearly become a runner.”

In other words, a return man can’t be drilled the moment he catches the ball. Instead, he has to have the ball long enough to give himself a chance to protect himself in some way, such as moving out of the way or giving a stiff arm.

What are you talking about?

Probably still don’t know, but taking a stab at explaining what I was thinking.

I didn’t think it would be easy, as Tex had indicated routinely, for another team to give up a 1st round pick for a QBs, and I questioned why to take Dak and his contract expectations. Personally, I wasn’t warm about acquiring Brady/Gronk deal because in another year maybe 2 we would be back to square one in needing a QB.

In my reference to Hopkins, I left out key information leading to I don’t understand IMO, why Hopkins was traded for so little in return. I still hope Johnson and picks are worth it.

Have I moved up from an “F”? To a “D” at least?

Nah... I couldn't care less about that Dallas drama. Brady/Gronk...

In my reference to Hopkins, I left out key information leading to I don’t understand IMO, why Hopkins was traded for so little in return. I still hope Johnson and picks are worth it.

We're upset enough as it is for what we got, but reducing it to just a 4th... I mean, I thought we were friends.

Probably still don’t know, but taking a stab at explaining what I was thinking.

I didn’t think it would be easy, as Tex had indicated routinely, for another team to give up a 1st round pick for a QBs, and I questioned why to take Dak and his contract expectations. Personally, I wasn’t warm about acquiring Brady/Gronk deal because in another year maybe 2 we would be back to square one in needing a QB.

How is it that you don't think you'll be in that predicament any way with Dak? They already have shown that they really don't want to pay him and he could potentially walk. That is actually your best case scenario at this point. If they pay Dak, they'll be making a foolish decision. He won't be worth anywhere near what the Cowboys will be forced to pay him. They could have traded him and landed Brady for likely two years and had a combo of Gronk/Witten. Instead they're stuck in the same negotiation stalemate with a QB that couldn't even win them the division last year in the worst division in football where the other 3 teams begged them to take it. I don't even dislike Dak, but he isn't anything special. QB's are way overpaid in this league and even elite QB's won't be worth $40 plus million a season.

The owners will vote on this Thursday.

Onside kick alternative changed, now an untimed down
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2020, 9:36 AM EDT

The “fourth-and-15” alternative to the onside kick has been tweaked in advance of tomorrow’s vote by NFL owners.
The biggest change to the rules proposal is that it will now be an untimed down. The initial proposal put forward was for the clock to start on the snap and run as it would on a normal play. But as we’ve previously noted, that would give a team that takes a lead with a few seconds remaining an easy way to run the last few seconds off the clock: Have the quarterback scramble around and then throw the ball deep, like Patrick Mahomes did on the last play of the Super Bowl. As an untimed down, that’s no longer an option.

Changing the play to an untimed down makes it more exciting regardless of who’s winning: It both prevents leading teams from using it to run the rest of the time off the clock, and also gives trailing teams more time to mount a comeback. Under the current rules, a team that scores a touchdown to make it a one-possession game with 0:01 remaining on the clock has no chance, because an onside kick would use that last second. With the untimed onside kick alternative, that team would have a chance.

Other tweaks to the rules proposal include a clarification that the fourth-and-15 play can be used in regulation only, not in overtime. And a team that initially declares its intention to use the onside kick alternative can change its mind and kick off, but only if it calls timeout first.

The owners will vote on this Thursday.

Onside kick alternative changed, now an untimed down
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2020, 9:36 AM EDT

The “fourth-and-15” alternative to the onside kick has been tweaked in advance of tomorrow’s vote by NFL owners.
The biggest change to the rules proposal is that it will now be an untimed down. The initial proposal put forward was for the clock to start on the snap and run as it would on a normal play. But as we’ve previously noted, that would give a team that takes a lead with a few seconds remaining an easy way to run the last few seconds off the clock: Have the quarterback scramble around and then throw the ball deep, like Patrick Mahomes did on the last play of the Super Bowl. As an untimed down, that’s no longer an option.

Changing the play to an untimed down makes it more exciting regardless of who’s winning: It both prevents leading teams from using it to run the rest of the time off the clock, and also gives trailing teams more time to mount a comeback. Under the current rules, a team that scores a touchdown to make it a one-possession game with 0:01 remaining on the clock has no chance, because an onside kick would use that last second. With the untimed onside kick alternative, that team would have a chance.

Other tweaks to the rules proposal include a clarification that the fourth-and-15 play can be used in regulation only, not in overtime. And a team that initially declares its intention to use the onside kick alternative can change its mind and kick off, but only if it calls timeout first.

I still don't understand these new onside kick rules.

From what I'm reading I don't like it. Nothing needed to change.

The NFL will adjust preseason replay procedure...............but without a new "sky judge." Under the revised proposal, field officialls will be able to speak with the booth during crew conferences or until there are 25 seconds left on the play clock. The replay official will not be able to stop the game, but he will have access to the broadcast feed when consulting with on-field officials.

They left the door open for the league to adopt some of the above for the regular season.

So a young stud like Peterson in the physical prime of his life is included in that dreaded preexisting category.
And also as I understand it a cardiovascular disease covers a whole lot of territory including heart attacks and strokes ?
So therefor guess that means anybody who has a heart attack or stroke in his or her medical history is included in that preexisting category re COVID-19 exposure ?

So a young stud like Peterson in the physical prime of his life is included in that dreaded preexisting category.
And also as I understand it a cardiovascular disease covers a whole lot of territory including heart attacks and strokes ?
So therefor guess that means anybody who has a heart attack or stroke in his or her medical history is included in that preexisting category re COVID-19 exposure ?
Yes. Most cardiovascular disease involves the immune system. Diabetes type II is now well-established to be an immune disease..........an autoimmune disease.

Last edited:
Just watched the 2011 Divisional Playoff game of the Saints/Niners...holy crap! I had forgotten how good of a game that was!
Saints were getting mauled 20-3, came back too the lead. Niners tie, etc. Vernon Davis was a beast, jimmy graham was a beast!
just an epic game if y’all ever have the time watch it.

Just watched the 2011 Divisional Playoff game of the Saints/Niners...holy crap! I had forgotten how good of a game that was!
Saints were getting mauled 20-3, came back too the lead. Niners tie, etc. Vernon Davis was a beast, jimmy graham was a beast!
just an epic game if y’all ever have the time watch it.

I remember it very well. Brees and Graham scored to fast at the end leaving enough time on the clock for Smith and the Niners to score last. It was an epic game.

Football season is going to be littered with political stuff all over again and worse than ever this season.

Get ready for what will be the most toxic season ever through the media where a burn of back and forth rhetoric will get involved that has nothing to do with football.

Even playing to empty stadiums means all those guys are out there on the field together. One case of cv-19 that starts spreading will end even that. I don't know why they're even bothering about this season.

Even playing to empty stadiums means all those guys are out there on the field together. One case of cv-19 that starts spreading will end even that. I don't know why they're even bothering about this season.

Funny how you didn't have feel that way about the current riots all over the world right now.

Former NFL receiver Reche Caldwell, a second-round pick of the Chargers in 2002, has been shot and killed in Tampa, according to TMZ.

Caldwell’s mother confirmed the news to TMZ. She explained that Reche was getting ready to take his girlfriend on a date, he went inside his home to grab a jacket, and he was “ambushed” by a “couple of people” who wanted to rob him. He was shot in the leg and chest, and he died in the ambulance on the way to a hospital.

Caldwell spent four years with the Chargers, one with the Patriots, and one with Washington.

link

A sad needless end to another young man. RIP

If the NFL plays games without fans, these are the top 10 teams that stand to lose the most stadium revenue, according to Forbes. Stadium revenue is defined by Forbes as the sum of tickets, concessions, sponsors, parking and team stores (stadium and total revenue in millions):
Rk, teamStadiumTotal
1. Cowboys$621$950
2. New England$315$600
3. NY Giants$262$519
4. Houston$218$497
5. NY Jets$218$475
6. San Francisco$208$492
7. Washington$205$493
8. Atlanta$204$458
9. Philadelphia$204$482
10. Green Bay$174$456
Note: Figures are for the 2018 season. The Rams, the Chargers and the Raiders are scheduled to move into new stadiums in 2020.

If the NFL plays games without fans, these are the top 10 teams that stand to lose the most stadium revenue, according to Forbes. Stadium revenue is defined by Forbes as the sum of tickets, concessions, sponsors, parking and team stores (stadium and total revenue in millions):
Rk, teamStadiumTotal
1. Cowboys$621$950
2. New England$315$600
3. NY Giants$262$519
4. Houston$218$497
5. NY Jets$218$475
6. San Francisco$208$492
7. Washington$205$493
8. Atlanta$204$458
9. Philadelphia$204$482
10. Green Bay$174$456
Note:Figures are for the 2018 season. The Rams, the Chargers and the Raiders are scheduled to move into new stadiums in 2020.

Maybe this is all that will be needed to induce Georgia Front......whoops, that's Mrs McNair and Cal to sell the team.

Drew Brees will be the league's biggest punching bag all season long now. The mob has him hostage and isn't letting him go unless he begs and shows restitution all season long. This will be the main conversations regarding the Saints organization all year long. Brees and how what kind of ally he must be. Great things to come. Are we looking at a name change perhaps? The NFL/NPL (National Political League)

Last edited:
The mob has him hostage and isn't letting him go unless he begs and shows restitution all season long. This will be the main conversations regarding the Saints organization all year long.

True.

The National anthem will be a big deal all season long too. It’s a part of the game that’s usually not televised. But now, if there is a season, it will probably be televised every week, just so “we” can talk about it.

True.

The National anthem will be a big deal all season long too. It’s a part of the game that’s usually not televised. But now, if there is a season, it will probably be televised every week, just so “we” can talk about it.

For it to bother me I would have to give a chit what any football player thinks/does. I don't. Not many Mensa candidates in that group.

I don't understand why it bothers people if some fool wants to burn their flag. It's their right and it's their flag. It's only done to upset people and most often it works.

I do not look for things to be upset about. There is enough actual deception going on in this country to worry about.

We are under siege by people who want to deny our freedoms and destroy Americans way of life. And they are succeeding, step by step. Saddening.

:coffee:

Warren Moon: Tom Brady and Drew Brees have lost arm strength, just like I did
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 10, 2020, 9:37 AM EDT

Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon was 44 years old when he made his last NFL start, so he’s one of the few people who have experienced what Tom Brady and Drew Brees are doing right now, playing quarterback into their 40s. And Moon has some bad news for Brady and Brees: Father Time catches everyone.

Moon says that he can see a deterioration in the arm strength of Brady and Brees, and it’s the same deterioration that he himself suffered from at the end of his career.

“I can see — especially later in the season, and you can see this with Drew Brees and some of the other quarterbacks as well — their arms don’t have the same pop at the end of the season that they had early in the year,” Moon told Colin Cowherd, via MassLive.com. “That has to do with their age, and that’s something I started to see in my career when I got older, that I didn’t have that same pop in my arm. A lot of it has to do with your legs because you’ve just become fatigued over the course of the whole season.”

Moon said Brady can be successful at age 43 this season, just not the same quarterback he was in his best years with the Patriots.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon was 44 years old when he made his last NFL start, so he’s one of the few people who have experienced what Tom Brady and Drew Brees are doing right now, playing quarterback into their 40s. And Moon has some bad news for Brady and Brees: Father Time catches everyone.

Moon says that he can see a deterioration in the arm strength of Brady and Brees, and it’s the same deterioration that he himself suffered from at the end of his career.

“I can see — especially later in the season, and you can see this with Drew Brees and some of the other quarterbacks as well — their arms don’t have the same pop at the end of the season that they had early in the year,” Moon told Colin Cowherd, via MassLive.com. “That has to do with their age, and that’s something I started to see in my career when I got older, that I didn’t have that same pop in my arm. A lot of it has to do with your legs because you’ve just become fatigued over the course of the whole season.”

Moon said Brady can be successful at age 43 this season, just not the same quarterback he was in his best years with the Patriots.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Not that he ever had a real strong arm, but the loss in arm strength was very apparent with Peyton Manning at the end of his career.
Actually the whole subject of arm strength is kinda debateable in the factors that determine how good or great a QB can be ?
Many folks argue that accuracy is more important, but then I wonder isn't there a link between arm strength and accuracy ?

The Patriots' RB Sony Michel underwent foot surgery this offseason. Last season, he was already showing signs of being significantly affected by the degenerative changes in his knees due to injuries/surgeries. Now from what I have been able to find out, he has lost even more articular cartilage in his left knee placing him solidly in the category of bone on bone. The Patriots may be in trouble without a reliable and highly productive 3 down back, especially with no Brady.

Reactions: JB
The Patriots' RB Sony Michel underwent foot surgery this offseason. Last season, he was already showing signs of being significantly affected by the degenerative changes in his knees due to injuries/surgeries. Now from what I have been able to find out, he has lost even more articular cartilage in his left knee placing him solidly in the category of bone on bone. The Patriots may be in trouble without a reliable and highly productive 3 down back, especially with no Brady.

And they did nothing to improve their running game in the off season really.

Sony looked like crap all off season last year as well. Starting to look like another horrible 1st round pick from Belicheck.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Didn't Brady win a SB 2 yrs ago and put up like 38 points to beat the Chiefs in the AFCCG? He seemed to adjust quite well to his diminishing arm strength. Now that he's got more weapons around him I expect Brady to be just fine.

And they did nothing to improve their running game in the off season really.

Sony looked like crap all off season last year as well. Starting to look like another horrible 1st round pick from Belicheck.

Playing with a hurt foot will slow you down a bit.

To put a little context to my post about Brooks above, he tore his left Achilles tendon. If you remember, he ruptured his right Achilles tendon in Jan 2018. This, as I've posted in past years should not be a totally unexpected event. Just like ACL ruptures, a player has a significant increased risk for a contralateral rupture (DeMeco Ryans is another example).............~10% (with a 5% ipsilateral [same side] tendon re-rupture risk, ala Demarius Thomas). What research has revealed is that by the time an initial Achilles rupture has occurred, the opposite Achilles tendon has already begun to show significant degeneration (tendinosis). The median time that we see these contralateral ruptures have been shown to be ~21 months.

Let me also remind you, Brooks was placed placed on IR the end of last season for what was reported as a "separated shoulder," which would refer to an A/C separation. But in fact, he dislocated his shoulder. He underwent shoulder labrum repair the first week in January. With his injury/surgery history now, he will have a significant difficult road back, with a questionable future.

Playing with a hurt foot will slow you down a bit.

He had worse injuries the season before where he played better.

If I was going to excuse him, I'd bring up his offensive line problems which didn't help or Brady much at all the entire season. Sony's biggest problem is how non explosive he is to the hole. He approaches it very slowly with low impact, and it doesn't help him get into the 2nd level that easily. Now when he does get into the 2nd level of the defense, that is where he is a lot more effective and a better runner.

He had worse injuries the season before where he played better.

If I was going to excuse him, I'd bring up his offensive line problems which didn't help or Brady much at all the entire season. Sony's biggest problem is how non explosive he is to the hole. He approaches it very slowly with low impact, and it doesn't help him get into the 2nd level that easily. Now when he does get into the 2nd level of the defense, that is where he is a lot more effective and a better runner.
He didn't have any significant injuries in 2018. Even though he was on the injury reports 8 times that year due to his knee, he never suffered a specific injury...............they reflected ongoing degeneration of his knee articular cartilage. In high school, he ruptured his left ACL, also suffering articular damage at the time. At Georgia, he suffered a torn left knee meniscus which required partial meniscectomy and some additional loose articular cartilage. Last year, he underwent removal of loose meniscus and articular cartilage, but left him essentially bone-on-bone. His 2019 decreased production, and his slow to hit the hole but and doing better when he "gets going," is all consistent with bone-on-bone notwithstanding any "help" from his Oline or the foot issue.

Didn't Brady win a SB 2 yrs ago and put up like 38 points to beat the Chiefs in the AFCCG? He seemed to adjust quite well to his diminishing arm strength. Now that he's got more weapons around him I expect Brady to be just fine.

Brady seems very excited to be here and he definitely is not lacking motivation. It's just hard to get excited about anything right now because who really knows what's going to become of this season. I still have a hard time imagining it happening with all that's going on right now.

He didn't have any significant injuries in 2018. Even though he was on the injury reports 8 times that year due to his knee, he never suffered a specific injury...............they reflected ongoing degeneration of his knee articular cartilage. In high school, he ruptured his left ACL, also suffering articular damage at the time. At Georgia, he suffered a torn left knee meniscus which required partial meniscectomy and some additional loose articular cartilage. Last year, he underwent removal of loose meniscus and articular cartilage, but left him essentially bone-on-bone. His 2019 decreased production, and his slow to hit the hole but and doing better when he "gets going," is all consistent with bone-on-bone notwithstanding any "help" from his Oline or the foot issue.

I didn't notice much of a difference in his running style or ability last season from the first. It was more so just a difference in the lack of holes, but again he simply isn't a guy that bursts through the line on his first move. He's more of a hesitater which didn't work well for him last season. The season before he missed several games due to injury and without looking it up, I want to say he was available a lot more last season. I definitely didn't remember what injuries he suffered from all that year. He finally seemed the most healthy by the time the playoffs started where he had rested some. The other flaw that he hasn't fixed is his lack of ability in the passing game. He doesn't get open well, and he can't catch well either. He became somewhat of a liability last year in the fact that teams knew the Pats were way more likely to be passing the ball if Sony was on the field. Personally, I was very irritated that the Pats didn't give their rookie 3rd pick RB from Bama in Harris more reps. I like his running style for the NFL and what the Pats do, but he only carried the ball like 8 times all season.

Back