Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

NFL Random Thought of the Day

JB

Old Curmudgeon
Contributor's Club
What is your quess of how many pro sports franchises (from any sport) will fold before all this is over with? And you're not going to be packing stadiums anytime soon.
Billionaires aren't noted for folding... I won't make any guesses, nor will I play chicken little

NY has already allowed training to resume so fans can watch sports

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This could become more interesting. Could even screw a little with Las Vegas. If passed, the NFL will allow the alternative to the onside kick, to be used whether the team is leading, trailing or tied.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You never know. Pro sports is going to lose an incredible amount of money this year, and possibly next year as well, how they recover from that might be the dreaded "reorganization" effect. Owners aren't going to bleed money forever.
I'm thinking a lot of casual fans have found other things to do during this mess. I know I have. If the NFL goes under, I'm not sure I'll miss it.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Defenseless player protections may be extended for kick returners
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2020, 4:24 PM EDT

NFL owners will vote this week on a rule proposal that will expand the definition of “defenseless” players to include punt and kickoff returners even after they have caught the kick.

The proposal, which was put forward by the Competition Committee and will be voted upon by the owners, expands defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but has not had time to avoid or ward off an opponent.

Defenseless players are protected from forcible hits to the head or neck area, hits from an opponent who lowers his helmet to make forcible contact, and hits from an opponent who launches into him. Kickoff and punt returners are already considered defenseless when they are attempting to field a kick that is in the air. But this proposal would extend the “defenseless” definition to include a returner “who has not had time to clearly become a runner.”

In other words, a return man can’t be drilled the moment he catches the ball. Instead, he has to have the ball long enough to give himself a chance to protect himself in some way, such as moving out of the way or giving a stiff arm.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What are you talking about?
Probably still don’t know, but taking a stab at explaining what I was thinking.

I didn’t think it would be easy, as Tex had indicated routinely, for another team to give up a 1st round pick for a QBs, and I questioned why to take Dak and his contract expectations. Personally, I wasn’t warm about acquiring Brady/Gronk deal because in another year maybe 2 we would be back to square one in needing a QB.

In my reference to Hopkins, I left out key information leading to I don’t understand IMO, why Hopkins was traded for so little in return. I still hope Johnson and picks are worth it.

Have I moved up from an “F”? To a “D” at least?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Have I moved up from an “F”? To a “D” at least?
Nah... I couldn't care less about that Dallas drama. Brady/Gronk...

In my reference to Hopkins, I left out key information leading to I don’t understand IMO, why Hopkins was traded for so little in return. I still hope Johnson and picks are worth it.
We're upset enough as it is for what we got, but reducing it to just a 4th... I mean, I thought we were friends.