Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
There won't be changes that drastic that soon
What is your quess of how many pro sports franchises (from any sport) will fold before all this is over with? And you're not going to be packing stadiums anytime soon.

JB

Old Curmudgeon
Contributor's Club
What is your quess of how many pro sports franchises (from any sport) will fold before all this is over with? And you're not going to be packing stadiums anytime soon.
Billionaires aren't noted for folding... I won't make any guesses, nor will I play chicken little

NY has already allowed training to resume so fans can watch sports

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This could become more interesting. Could even screw a little with Las Vegas. If passed, the NFL will allow the alternative to the onside kick, to be used whether the team is leading, trailing or tied.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You never know. Pro sports is going to lose an incredible amount of money this year, and possibly next year as well, how they recover from that might be the dreaded "reorganization" effect. Owners aren't going to bleed money forever.
I'm thinking a lot of casual fans have found other things to do during this mess. I know I have. If the NFL goes under, I'm not sure I'll miss it.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Defenseless player protections may be extended for kick returners
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 24, 2020, 4:24 PM EDT

NFL owners will vote this week on a rule proposal that will expand the definition of “defenseless” players to include punt and kickoff returners even after they have caught the kick.

The proposal, which was put forward by the Competition Committee and will be voted upon by the owners, expands defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but has not had time to avoid or ward off an opponent.

Defenseless players are protected from forcible hits to the head or neck area, hits from an opponent who lowers his helmet to make forcible contact, and hits from an opponent who launches into him. Kickoff and punt returners are already considered defenseless when they are attempting to field a kick that is in the air. But this proposal would extend the “defenseless” definition to include a returner “who has not had time to clearly become a runner.”

In other words, a return man can’t be drilled the moment he catches the ball. Instead, he has to have the ball long enough to give himself a chance to protect himself in some way, such as moving out of the way or giving a stiff arm.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What are you talking about?
Probably still don’t know, but taking a stab at explaining what I was thinking.

I didn’t think it would be easy, as Tex had indicated routinely, for another team to give up a 1st round pick for a QBs, and I questioned why to take Dak and his contract expectations. Personally, I wasn’t warm about acquiring Brady/Gronk deal because in another year maybe 2 we would be back to square one in needing a QB.

In my reference to Hopkins, I left out key information leading to I don’t understand IMO, why Hopkins was traded for so little in return. I still hope Johnson and picks are worth it.

Have I moved up from an “F”? To a “D” at least?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nah... I couldn't care less about that Dallas drama. Brady/Gronk...

In my reference to Hopkins, I left out key information leading to I don’t understand IMO, why Hopkins was traded for so little in return. I still hope Johnson and picks are worth it.
We're upset enough as it is for what we got, but reducing it to just a 4th... I mean, I thought we were friends.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Probably still don’t know, but taking a stab at explaining what I was thinking.

I didn’t think it would be easy, as Tex had indicated routinely, for another team to give up a 1st round pick for a QBs, and I questioned why to take Dak and his contract expectations. Personally, I wasn’t warm about acquiring Brady/Gronk deal because in another year maybe 2 we would be back to square one in needing a QB.

How is it that you don't think you'll be in that predicament any way with Dak? They already have shown that they really don't want to pay him and he could potentially walk. That is actually your best case scenario at this point. If they pay Dak, they'll be making a foolish decision. He won't be worth anywhere near what the Cowboys will be forced to pay him. They could have traded him and landed Brady for likely two years and had a combo of Gronk/Witten. Instead they're stuck in the same negotiation stalemate with a QB that couldn't even win them the division last year in the worst division in football where the other 3 teams begged them to take it. I don't even dislike Dak, but he isn't anything special. QB's are way overpaid in this league and even elite QB's won't be worth $40 plus million a season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The owners will vote on this Thursday.

Onside kick alternative changed, now an untimed down
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2020, 9:36 AM EDT

The “fourth-and-15” alternative to the onside kick has been tweaked in advance of tomorrow’s vote by NFL owners.
The biggest change to the rules proposal is that it will now be an untimed down. The initial proposal put forward was for the clock to start on the snap and run as it would on a normal play. But as we’ve previously noted, that would give a team that takes a lead with a few seconds remaining an easy way to run the last few seconds off the clock: Have the quarterback scramble around and then throw the ball deep, like Patrick Mahomes did on the last play of the Super Bowl. As an untimed down, that’s no longer an option.

Changing the play to an untimed down makes it more exciting regardless of who’s winning: It both prevents leading teams from using it to run the rest of the time off the clock, and also gives trailing teams more time to mount a comeback. Under the current rules, a team that scores a touchdown to make it a one-possession game with 0:01 remaining on the clock has no chance, because an onside kick would use that last second. With the untimed onside kick alternative, that team would have a chance.

Other tweaks to the rules proposal include a clarification that the fourth-and-15 play can be used in regulation only, not in overtime. And a team that initially declares its intention to use the onside kick alternative can change its mind and kick off, but only if it calls timeout first.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The owners will vote on this Thursday.

Onside kick alternative changed, now an untimed down
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2020, 9:36 AM EDT

The “fourth-and-15” alternative to the onside kick has been tweaked in advance of tomorrow’s vote by NFL owners.
The biggest change to the rules proposal is that it will now be an untimed down. The initial proposal put forward was for the clock to start on the snap and run as it would on a normal play. But as we’ve previously noted, that would give a team that takes a lead with a few seconds remaining an easy way to run the last few seconds off the clock: Have the quarterback scramble around and then throw the ball deep, like Patrick Mahomes did on the last play of the Super Bowl. As an untimed down, that’s no longer an option.

Changing the play to an untimed down makes it more exciting regardless of who’s winning: It both prevents leading teams from using it to run the rest of the time off the clock, and also gives trailing teams more time to mount a comeback. Under the current rules, a team that scores a touchdown to make it a one-possession game with 0:01 remaining on the clock has no chance, because an onside kick would use that last second. With the untimed onside kick alternative, that team would have a chance.

Other tweaks to the rules proposal include a clarification that the fourth-and-15 play can be used in regulation only, not in overtime. And a team that initially declares its intention to use the onside kick alternative can change its mind and kick off, but only if it calls timeout first.
I still don't understand these new onside kick rules.

From what I'm reading I don't like it. Nothing needed to change.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The NFL will adjust preseason replay procedure...............but without a new "sky judge." Under the revised proposal, field officialls will be able to speak with the booth during crew conferences or until there are 25 seconds left on the play clock. The replay official will not be able to stop the game, but he will have access to the broadcast feed when consulting with on-field officials.

They left the door open for the league to adopt some of the above for the regular season.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So a young stud like Peterson in the physical prime of his life is included in that dreaded preexisting category.
And also as I understand it a cardiovascular disease covers a whole lot of territory including heart attacks and strokes ?
So therefor guess that means anybody who has a heart attack or stroke in his or her medical history is included in that preexisting category re COVID-19 exposure ?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So a young stud like Peterson in the physical prime of his life is included in that dreaded preexisting category.
And also as I understand it a cardiovascular disease covers a whole lot of territory including heart attacks and strokes ?
So therefor guess that means anybody who has a heart attack or stroke in his or her medical history is included in that preexisting category re COVID-19 exposure ?
Yes. Most cardiovascular disease involves the immune system. Diabetes type II is now well-established to be an immune disease..........an autoimmune disease.

Last edited: