Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was in NEZ as well. Only had it opened for a couple of night games and 1 game during the day that I remember. Noon game. I thought my ol lady was gonna die! It was a scorcher.
I recall back in the day when the roof was always open. It was open roof, not open air and if it was 85 outside it was 100 inside.

I was at the games that caused the policy change. The “il”logic was The Steelers weren’t used to our climate and they wore black uniform that would give us an advantage. The heat was so intense that I never went to my seat and for the most part stood in the concourse area . When I walked outside on the deck people came out looking as though they had been standing under a garden hose. Needless to say we lost the game handily.

They changed to a 50/80 roof open rule, but somewhere along the line they decided to just leave it closed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I recall back in the day when the roof was always open. It was open roof, not open air and if it was 85 outside it was 100 inside.

I was at the games that caused the policy change. The “il”logic was The Steelers weren’t used to our climate and they wore black uniform that would give us an advantage. The heat was so intense that I never went to my seat and for the most part stood in the concourse area . When I walked outside on the deck people came out looking as though they had been standing under a garden hose. Needless to say we lost the game handily.

They changed to a 50/80 roof open rule, but somewhere along the line they decided to just leave it closed.
I remember that Steelers game like it was yesterday. I personally treated 3 of our own (Texans Blue Crew in the Bull Pen) that day for heat stroke. Reliant Stadium was totally miscalculated by the architects and planners when designed as it related to home field advantage and successful grass growth. The whole stadium positioning was mis-oriented............heat was to be an advantage to be mostly directed to the visitor's bench while the Texans bench was kept cool. But the way the Stadium was oriented the sun/heat was focused on the visitor's bench for a limited time, while the home fans during half of the games were subjected to an unmerciful environment. With the architects being charged with designing a stadium that would bring all the fans closer to the field, and make the noise a home field advantage, they designed the inside as vertical as possible....................But when the roof was open, the air circulation on a hot day rivaled the old Cowboys hole-in-the-roof stadium. The shadows on the field, meant to be a disadvantage to the visiting team, due to poor stadium orientation also served as a disadvantage to the Texans for a good part of the games.

So many costly miscalculations, it's hard to review all of them.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Bills lineman Ed Oliver arrested on DWI, gun charges
Dumb azz !
Damn. Lockdown not going well for some of these NFL players. Might want to get them back to work.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

This is a clip that Miller's team has sent out to clubs to prove his recovery from his ACL/MCL ruptures is complete and successful. This is all well and good, but straight ahead running is not likely to be significantly affected at this point..............changing direction and quickly cutting is the only real "test"..................along with how hits to the knee are tolerated during games.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL testing new protective facemasks with surgical or N95 material
3:42 PM CT
  • ESPN

The NFLPA's medical director recommends players wear modified facemasks to protect themselves amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Speaking on Monday's The Adam Schefter Podcast, Thom Mayer said the new facemasks would include some form of either surgical or N95 material.

NFL engineers are testing prototypes with the sports equipment company Oakley, Inc., and Mayer said players could be wearing protective facemasks in the upcoming season.

"Yes, it's a possibility," Mayer said. "Back in early March, I suggested ways to handle the helmets and the facemasks ... the league's bioengineers are testing prototypes with Oakley. They're looking at every issue, including when masks fog up."

**************************************************************************************************
Now all they have to do is figure out a way to avoid having the masks getting wet (which destroys the filtration materials' ability to filter)..............should be simple............just stop players from sweating........

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL testing new protective facemasks with surgical or N95 material
3:42 PM CT
  • ESPN

The NFLPA's medical director recommends players wear modified facemasks to protect themselves amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Speaking on Monday's The Adam Schefter Podcast, Thom Mayer said the new facemasks would include some form of either surgical or N95 material.

NFL engineers are testing prototypes with the sports equipment company Oakley, Inc., and Mayer said players could be wearing protective facemasks in the upcoming season.

"Yes, it's a possibility," Mayer said. "Back in early March, I suggested ways to handle the helmets and the facemasks ... the league's bioengineers are testing prototypes with Oakley. They're looking at every issue, including when masks fog up."

**************************************************************************************************
Now all they have to do is figure out a way to avoid having the masks getting wet (which destroys the filtration materials' ability to filter)..............should be simple............just stop players from sweating........
There have been studies with the N95 masks that demonstrate that even under normal circumstances, less CO2 (carbon dioxide) is exhaled and less O2 (oxygen) inhaled.......as the mask with its respirator restricts both inhalation and exhalation flow. This restrictive phenomenon is grossly exaggerated during heavy exercise.

Interestingly enough, one of the first studies showing this problem even in non-exercise environment was published in 2015.......Respiratory consequences of N95-type Mask usage in pregnant healthcare workers—a controlled clinical study. It drew the following conclusions:

Breathing through N95 mask materials have been shown to impede gaseous exchange and impose an additional workload on the metabolic system of pregnant healthcare workers, and this needs to be taken into consideration in guidelines for respirator use. The benefits of using N95 mask to prevent serious emerging infectious diseases should be weighed against potential respiratory consequences associated with extended N95 respirator usage.
NFL players during games are commonly seen gasping for air [familiar example....JJ Watt]. Their additional metabolic workload and need for O2 intake and CO2 release would be many times what would be expected compared to a pregnant healthcare worker during mundane activity.

NFL players during a game cannot afford not to be able to breathe freely. Maybe if the NFL decides to use these modified N95 face masks, they can just add an oxygen tank to the top of the helmets..........

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
On eve of virtual meeting, “a lot of lobbying” for proposed Rooney Rule expansion
May 18, 2020, 10:05 PM EDT

On Tuesday, NFL owners will discuss via virtual meeting, among other things, whether to expand the Rooney Rule to provide draft-pick enhancement to teams that hire minority coaches or minority General Managers. Like all rule changes, 24 votes will be required.

As the balloting approaches, “a lot of lobbying” is occurring in support of the proposal.

There’s a persistent belief that the rule will pass, notwithstanding concerns raised by the likes of Chargers coach Anthony Lynn and, as of Monday afternoon, Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy.

Dungy explained the basis for his opposition to the proposal during a Monday appearance on #PFTPM. He also addressed potential alternatives.

“I don’t think you can legislate the right thing,” Dungy said. “I don’t think you can legislate fairness. So to me you have to do other things to kind of try to create that. My suggestion was, if I were the Commissioner, I would get every owner to sit down and write out exactly what he’s looking for, his qualities that he’s looking for in a head coach, a General Manager, personnel department, all of those top-level positions. Even if I’m not looking right now, spell it out so that when that time does come, I have a blueprint to kind of fall back on. And I think that would really help. Number one, it would help owners think about who I have in that position right now. If I’m tempted to make a change, and I spell out, ‘Here’s the five or six things that I really want,’ and I look at the coach I have now, and he is that, well, maybe I don’t need to make a change. Maybe that tells me what I’m looking for.

“But I think more than anything, getting owners to really spell it out, then you can come and say, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re looking for, here are some people who fall into that category. Here’s people you can look at,’ and will have a much better way of going. Right now, I think so many owners, at least the ones I talk to, when they’re in the process, they really don’t know what they’re looking for.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There have been studies with the N95 masks that demonstrate that even under normal circumstances, less CO2 (carbon dioxide) is exhaled and less O2 (oxygen).......as the mask with its respirator restricts both inhalation and exhalation flow. This restrictive phenomenon is grossly exaggerated during heavy exercise.

Interestingly enough, one of the first studies showing this problem even in non-exercise environment was published in 2015.......Respiratory consequences of N95-type Mask usage in pregnant healthcare workers—a controlled clinical study. It drew the following conclusions:

NFL players during games are commonly seen gasping for air [familiar example....JJ Watt]. Their additional metabolic workload and need for O2 intake and CO2 release would be many times what would be expected compared to a pregnant healthcare worker during mundane activity.

NFL players during a game cannot afford not to be able to breathe freely. Maybe if the NFL decides to use these modified N95 face masks, they can just add an oxygen tank to the top of the helmets..........
I can personally vouch for this.

Although as usual you made your thoughts on this subject known much better than I ever could have.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
On eve of virtual meeting, “a lot of lobbying” for proposed Rooney Rule expansion

On Tuesday, NFL owners will discuss via virtual meeting, among other things, whether to expand the Rooney Rule to provide draft-pick enhancement to teams that hire minority coaches or minority General Managers. Like all rule changes, 24 votes will be required.

As the balloting approaches, “a lot of lobbying” is occurring in support of the proposal.

There’s a persistent belief that the rule will pass, notwithstanding concerns raised by the likes of Chargers coach Anthony Lynn and, as of Monday afternoon, Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy.

Dungy explained the basis for his opposition to the proposal during a Monday appearance on #PFTPM. He also addressed potential alternatives.

“I don’t think you can legislate the right thing,” Dungy said. “I don’t think you can legislate fairness. So to me you have to do other things to kind of try to create that. My suggestion was, if I were the Commissioner, I would get every owner to sit down and write out exactly what he’s looking for, his qualities that he’s looking for in a head coach, a General Manager, personnel department, all of those top-level positions. Even if I’m not looking right now, spell it out so that when that time does come, I have a blueprint to kind of fall back on. And I think that would really help. Number one, it would help owners think about who I have in that position right now. If I’m tempted to make a change, and I spell out, ‘Here’s the five or six things that I really want,’ and I look at the coach I have now, and he is that, well, maybe I don’t need to make a change. Maybe that tells me what I’m looking for.

“But I think more than anything, getting owners to really spell it out, then you can come and say, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re looking for, here are some people who fall into that category. Here’s people you can look at,’ and will have a much better way of going. Right now, I think so many owners, at least the ones I talk to, when they’re in the process, they really don’t know what they’re looking for.”

THE REST OF THE STORY
I've heard about this ridiculousness. They pull this out and this will become half of what you hear about instead of the actual games. It will become just like the kneeling controversy all over again with fans getting turned off by the political drama inserted. There is no way they won't over blatant racism they'd be throwing around based on skin color and draft picks. The NFL can't get out of it's own way.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

THE REST OF THE STORY
I just saw this:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL ANNOUNCES NEW STEPS TO ENHANCE DIVERSITY
League Increases Opportunities for Career Development and Advancement Through Enhanced Mobility Changes and Rooney Rule Expansion

NEW YORK (May 19, 2020) –
NFL clubs today adopted new procedures in diversity, equity and inclusion. In approving a resolution and other rules changes, league officials will implement wide-sweeping workplace reforms to increase employment opportunities and advancement for minorities and women across the league.

"We believe these new policies demonstrate the NFL Owners' commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the NFL," said Pittsburgh Steelers owner and chairman of the Workplace Diversity Committee, Art Rooney II. "The development of young coaches and young executives is a key to our future. These steps will assure coaching and football personnel are afforded a fair and equitable opportunity to advance throughout our football operations. We also have taken important steps to ensure that our front offices, which represent our clubs in so many different ways, come to reflect the true diversity of our fans and our country."
The resolution changes the current Anti-Tampering Policy by establishing a system that prohibits a club from denying 1) an assistant coach the opportunity to interview with a new team for a bona fide Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, or Special Teams Coordinator position; (2) a non-high-level/non-secondary football executive from interviewing for a bona fide Assistant General Manager position. In either case, a contract could not be negotiated or signed until after the conclusion of the employer club's playing season; and 3) requires all clubs submit in writing an organizational reporting structure for the coaching staff with job descriptions for any coach who is a coordinator or co-coordinator within that structure. The resolution also requires that any dispute regarding whether the new team is offering a "bona fide" position will be submitted promptly to the Commissioner, whose determination shall be final, binding and not subject to further review.

The resolution was put forth by the Workplace Diversity Committee, chaired by Rooney and the Competition Committee, chaired by Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons). The league also announced expansion of Rooney Rule requirements and implementation of enhanced diversity policies.

The enhancements to the Rooney Rule include changes both on and off-the-field. Clubs will now be required to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coach vacancies; at least one minority candidate for any of the three coordinator vacancies; and at least one external minority candidate for the senior football operations or general manager position.

For the first time the Rooney Rule will also apply to a wide range of executive positions. Clubs must now include minorities and/or female applicants in the interview processes for senior level front office positions such as club president and senior executives in communications, finance, human resources, legal, football operations, sales, marketing, sponsorship, information technology, and security positions. The league office will also adhere to these requirements.

THE REST OF THE STORY

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
NFL ANNOUNCES NEW STEPS TO ENHANCE DIVERSITY
League Increases Opportunities for Career Development and Advancement Through Enhanced Mobility Changes and Rooney Rule Expansion

NEW YORK (May 19, 2020) –
NFL clubs today adopted new procedures in diversity, equity and inclusion. In approving a resolution and other rules changes, league officials will implement wide-sweeping workplace reforms to increase employment opportunities and advancement for minorities and women across the league.

"We believe these new policies demonstrate the NFL Owners' commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the NFL," said Pittsburgh Steelers owner and chairman of the Workplace Diversity Committee, Art Rooney II. "The development of young coaches and young executives is a key to our future. These steps will assure coaching and football personnel are afforded a fair and equitable opportunity to advance throughout our football operations. We also have taken important steps to ensure that our front offices, which represent our clubs in so many different ways, come to reflect the true diversity of our fans and our country."
The resolution changes the current Anti-Tampering Policy by establishing a system that prohibits a club from denying 1) an assistant coach the opportunity to interview with a new team for a bona fide Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, or Special Teams Coordinator position; (2) a non-high-level/non-secondary football executive from interviewing for a bona fide Assistant General Manager position. In either case, a contract could not be negotiated or signed until after the conclusion of the employer club's playing season; and 3) requires all clubs submit in writing an organizational reporting structure for the coaching staff with job descriptions for any coach who is a coordinator or co-coordinator within that structure. The resolution also requires that any dispute regarding whether the new team is offering a "bona fide" position will be submitted promptly to the Commissioner, whose determination shall be final, binding and not subject to further review.

The resolution was put forth by the Workplace Diversity Committee, chaired by Rooney and the Competition Committee, chaired by Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons). The league also announced expansion of Rooney Rule requirements and implementation of enhanced diversity policies.

The enhancements to the Rooney Rule include changes both on and off-the-field. Clubs will now be required to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coach vacancies; at least one minority candidate for any of the three coordinator vacancies; and at least one external minority candidate for the senior football operations or general manager position.

For the first time the Rooney Rule will also apply to a wide range of executive positions. Clubs must now include minorities and/or female applicants in the interview processes for senior level front office positions such as club president and senior executives in communications, finance, human resources, legal, football operations, sales, marketing, sponsorship, information technology, and security positions. The league office will also adhere to these requirements.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Rog is doing his best to turn fans away.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Cam Newton posts workout footage as he tries to show he’s ready to go
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2020, 5:38 PM EDT

Cam Newton wants the world to know he’s healthy and in good shape.

Newton, the free agent quarterback who was cut by the Panthers this offseason after playing in just two games last year, appeared to be moving around well and in excellent physical condition in workout footage he posted on Instagram.

It’s not hard to conclude that Newton wants the NFL world to know he’s healthy, and that he’s still hoping some team will make him a free agent offer commensurate with getting paid like a starting quarterback.

Whether that happens remains to be seen. At the moment, there doesn’t appear to be an NFL team that would offer him its starting job, and there may not even be many that would offer him a chance to compete for the starting job.

Newton still has a couple months before training camps are scheduled to open, so he does have time to find an interested team, take a physical and show up ready to work.

***************************************************************************************************

The problem is that this "workout video" he submitted to convince teams that he and his foot foot is back to normal does not reproduce the stresses that he will experience during a game. Fortunately, he sustained his Lisfranc to his lead foot, not his plant foot. This injury's consequences are more likely to be seen in accuracy due to dysfunction of the lead foot. Also, as a dual threat quarterback, sharply turning or pushing off his left foot to his left is likely to affect his explosiveness.
CAM NEWTON WORKOUT

And then, his throwing shoulder is another factor that has to be ruled out as another problem. He underwent a right rotator cuff surgery in 2017, and came back with a good 2018 season. However, he required an arthroscopic surgery to the same shoulder Jan 2019. He sustained his Lisfranc in week 2. But before that injury, in week 1 and week 2, his completion percentage was an abysmal 40%. When he does come back, it is to be determined how much disability he will demonstrate from both his foot and shoulder.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
This situation has gone beyond hilarious. What team is that foolish that they'd be willing to pay day $45 Million per season? Dak is a good QB and all, but he couldn't even carry the team to win their division in the worst division of football last year having the weak ass Eagles to take it from them at the end. He has had a great offensive line and pretty good weapons while being there as well. He is worth around $25 Million a season at most. Once these QB's get into the $30 million range most aren't worth it, because they're always a player or two away from getting over the top.

The Cowboys could have easily traded him before the draft and likely gotten a 1st round draft package for him where they could have probably ended with Tua and been right back on the low salary cap figure for their QB. They also could have gotten Brady as a FA along with Gronk for two years and used the draft package for other players. The Cowboys are in "no man's land" now with this situation where they are likely going to be screwed no matter which way they go unless they can still pull off a trade and get at least an early first rounder and other assets for him.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Cam Newton posts workout footage as he tries to show he’s ready to go
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2020, 5:38 PM EDT

Cam Newton wants the world to know he’s healthy and in good shape.

Newton, the free agent quarterback who was cut by the Panthers this offseason after playing in just two games last year, appeared to be moving around well and in excellent physical condition in workout footage he posted on Instagram.

It’s not hard to conclude that Newton wants the NFL world to know he’s healthy, and that he’s still hoping some team will make him a free agent offer commensurate with getting paid like a starting quarterback.

Whether that happens remains to be seen. At the moment, there doesn’t appear to be an NFL team that would offer him its starting job, and there may not even be many that would offer him a chance to compete for the starting job.

Newton still has a couple months before training camps are scheduled to open, so he does have time to find an interested team, take a physical and show up ready to work.

***************************************************************************************************

The problem is that this "workout video" he submitted to convince teams that he and his foot foot is back to normal does not reproduce the stresses that he will experience during a game. Fortunately, he sustained his Lisfranc to his lead foot, not his plant foot. This injury's consequences are more likely to be seen in accuracy due to dysfunction of the lead foot. Also, as a dual threat quarterback, sharply turning or pushing off his left foot to his left is likely to affect his explosiveness.
CAM NEWTON WORKOUT

And then, his throwing shoulder is another factor that has to be ruled out as another problem. He underwent a right rotator cuff surgery in 2017, and came back with a good 2018 season. However, he required an arthroscopic surgery to the same shoulder Jan 2019. He sustained his Lisfranc in week 2. But before that injury, in week 1 and week 2, his completion percentage was an abysmal 40%. When he does come back, it is to be determined how much disability he will demonstrate from both his foot and shoulder.
I still think that Cam could be a nice high risk/reward roll of the dice for certain teams depending on their cap room and what they're able to pay him. He simply isn't in any position to demand much for a one year salary. I think that teams are more concerned with dealing with Cam's attitude and lack of leadership qualities to get along with an OC than they are even the heath concerns. I think that and likely the inflated cost demand he probably wants is his biggest problem in finding a new team.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This situation has gone beyond hilarious. What team is that foolish that they'd be willing to pay day $45 Million per season? Dak is a good QB and all, but he couldn't even carry the team to win their division in the worst division of football last year having the weak ass Eagles to take it from them at the end. He has had a great offensive line and pretty good weapons while being there as well. He is worth around $25 Million a season at most. Once these QB's get into the $30 million range most aren't worth it, because they're always a player or two away from getting over the top.

The Cowboys could have easily traded him before the draft and likely gotten a 1st round draft package for him where they could have probably ended with Tua and been right back on the low salary cap figure for their QB. They also could have gotten Brady as a FA along with Gronk for two years and used the draft package for other players. The Cowboys are in "no man's land" now with this situation where they are likely going to be screwed no matter which way they go unless they can still pull off a trade and get at least an early first rounder and other assets for him.
TBH, with my limited knowledge of football and contracts, just based on that alone, I'm not feeling this pressure for this type of contract. I think Dak is a good quarterback, but I also know he has a lot of weapons to help him look and be great. I am pleased that he has been basically injury free, but would shutter to think with such a contract if he ends up like Wentz.

I have seen many conversations about paying Dak "his money" and I tend to think if it were my money to pay would I be as willing to agree to those type of terms. I didn't think deep into brokering a deal to get a 1st round QB since it's a gamble that could go eather way, but of course anyone would hope for the best. I didn't think Brady would be the answer either even if only for a year or two. Of course the best case would have been for O'Brien to have another fire sale.

Certainly, the next few days or weeks will be interesting to see how the organization addresses the situation, and if they agree, I will think oh well, here we go again, and with the COVID-19 issues, I'm not feeling any high hopes for the season anyway. On the other hand, if they stick with the franchise tag, and Dak sits out, which I don't see happening at all with that amount of money, but I would ok with Dalton leading the team.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
TBH, with my limited knowledge of football and contracts, just based on that alone, I'm not feeling this pressure for this type of contract. I think Dak is a good quarterback, but I also know he has a lot of weapons to help him look and be great. I am pleased that he has been basically injury free, but would shutter to think with such a contract if he ends up like Wentz.

I have seen many conversations about paying Dak "his money" and I tend to think if it were my money to pay would I be as willing to agree to those type of terms. I didn't think deep into brokering a deal to get a 1st round QB since it's a gamble that could go eather way, but of course anyone would hope for the best. I didn't think Brady would be the answer either even if only for a year or two. Of course the best case would have been for O'Brien to have another fire sale.

Certainly, the next few days or weeks will be interesting to see how the organization addresses the situation, and if they agree, I will think oh well, here we go again, and with the COVID-19 issues, I'm not feeling any high hopes for the season anyway. On the other hand, if they stick with the franchise tag, and Dak sits out, which I don't see happening at all with that amount of money, but I would ok with Dalton leading the team.
They just blew an opportunity to land Brady/Gronk or to get Tua. Again, unless they can still get a first round package for him at this point they are totally going to blow this. He isn't worth more than $25 Mill a season.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They just blew an opportunity to land Brady/Gronk or to get Tua. Again, unless they can still get a first round package for him at this point they are totally going to blow this. He isn't worth more than $25 Mill a season.
Granted the QB is for the most part the backbone of the team, but how much of a chance would a team be of getting a 1st round pick in a trade? If easy, why would the Texans only get a 4th for probably the best WR in the league? Not a QB but only a 4th for that caliber of player.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Granted the QB is for the most part the backbone of the team, but how much of a chance would a team be of getting a 1st round pick in a trade? If easy, why would the Texans only get a 4th for probably the best WR in the league? Not a QB but only a 4th for that caliber of player.
You pick the dumbest negotiator ever and act like that is some sort of accurate comparison for the value of QB's? Were you serious with this post?

QB's routinely get traded for first round picks all the time. Even average ones have that are far worse than Dak. At very least, they'd have gotten a first rounder from someone. Most likely that and other picks as well.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Aldon Smith (has only been admittedly sober for only 10 months max.........if you really choose to believe it)

*************************************************************************************************
How does someone like Smith ever get reinstated? I believe in 2nd chances. but is the NFL so desperate that they turn a blind eye to established statistics.....................Some takeaways from alcohol abuse research alone are:

Only about a third of people who are abstinent less than a year will remain abstinent.

For those who achieve a year of sobriety, less than half will remain sober.

If you can make it to 5 years of sobriety, your chance of relapse is less than 15 percent. .

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Were you serious with this post?
I began my post
TBH, with my limited knowledge of football and contracts
QB's routinely get traded for first round picks all the time.
I did go back and look for the routine, because in my limited knowledge, there were none recently that jumped out at me. I can see that the trades for a few ten or more years ago were good moves, but recently, except for Sam Bradford, my quick check didn't reveal anyone that really stood out. Perhaps he was good trade, I just don't recall, btw, what team is he on now?

Even average ones have that are far worse than Dak. At very least, they'd have gotten a first rounder from someone. Most likely that and other picks as well.
In most of the trades, were they worth it? I really don't know, and of course I am curious.

With that said, where do you think that Dak would have been a good fit for a trade for a 1st round pick? I don't see Belichick making such a move. I don't follow all of the teams, and now I am curious who would be interested, and if their offensive line is solid enough that he would have enough time to send out a tweet while deciding which target he will be throwing a pass.

I guess the bottom line is how much Jerry and Stephen are willing to pay, and if the franchise tag remains in effect would he sit out on $30 plus million. Either way, within a month we'll have our answer.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Aldon Smith (has only been admittedly sober for only 10 months max.........if you really choose to believe it)

*************************************************************************************************
How does someone like Smith ever get reinstated? I believe in 2nd chances. but is the NFL so desperate that they turn a blind eye to established statistics.....................Some takeaways from alcohol abuse research alone are:

Only about a third of people who are abstinent less than a year will remain abstinent.

For those who achieve a year of sobriety, less than half will remain sober.

If you can make it to 5 years of sobriety, your chance of relapse is less than 15 percent. .
I hope that he becomes a part of the 15 percent, but if there is a season with fans in attendance, and I see David Wells standing by the elevators when the players are leaving the stadium, I will say ouch!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL owners to vote on wild rule change that would allow a fourth-and-15 onside kick alternative
The NFL is getting crazy
  • by John Breech
    @johnbreech
    May 21, 2020 at 2:22 pm ET • 3 min read

A dramatic rule change pertaining to onside kicks could be coming to the NFL in 2020 if the league's owners vote to make it happen. The Eagles have proposed a rule that would give teams an alternative option to the onside kick. Instead of trying to recover an onside kick, teams would have the option of attempting to convert a fourth-and-15 play from their own 25-yard line. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team would take over possession from wherever the play ended. For the rule to pass, 24 of the NFL's 32 owners would have to vote on it at their next meeting, which will be held virtually on May 28.Although NFL owners don't generally approve dramatic rule changes -- the Colts' nine-point touchdown proposal got shot down in 2015 -- the proposal from Philadelphia might actually have a chance to pass and that's because it seems to have some support from the competition committee. Last year, the Broncos proposed a similar rule, and at the time, the committee actually voted 7-1 in favor of the proposal.
    Despite the committee's endorsement, most owners ended up voting against the proposed rule and it didn't pass.
  • THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Looks like a pick your poison type of deal.

*******************************************************************************************

Onside kick alternative will succeed about as often as pre-rule change onside kicks
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2020, 3:44 PM EDT

The fourth-and-15 alternative to the onside kick, which NFL owners are considering, is likely to be successful about as often as onside kicks were successful before the NFL changed the rules to make them more difficult.

From 2013 to 2017, the five seasons before revised kickoff rules made onside kicks harder, the success rate was of onside kicks was 16.3 percent.

In the 2019 season, NFL offenses that needed to gain 15 yards (running plays on third-and-15 or fourth-and-15) were successful 15.9 percent of the time.

So the alternative to the onside kick should work about 16 percent of the time, just as onside kicks worked about 16 percent of the time — until the NFL changed the rules.

Since the revised kickoff rules were implemented in 2018, onside kicks have been successful only 10.5 percent of the time. That’s not an enormous drop-off, but considering how vital the onside kick is to last-minute comebacks, there was concern in and around the NFL that they had become too hard to recover. The alternative will be a bit easier to convert, and comebacks will become a little more feasible.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Looks like a pick your poison type of deal.

*******************************************************************************************

Onside kick alternative will succeed about as often as pre-rule change onside kicks
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2020, 3:44 PM EDT

The fourth-and-15 alternative to the onside kick, which NFL owners are considering, is likely to be successful about as often as onside kicks were successful before the NFL changed the rules to make them more difficult.

From 2013 to 2017, the five seasons before revised kickoff rules made onside kicks harder, the success rate was of onside kicks was 16.3 percent.

In the 2019 season, NFL offenses that needed to gain 15 yards (running plays on third-and-15 or fourth-and-15) were successful 15.9 percent of the time.

So the alternative to the onside kick should work about 16 percent of the time, just as onside kicks worked about 16 percent of the time — until the NFL changed the rules.

Since the revised kickoff rules were implemented in 2018, onside kicks have been successful only 10.5 percent of the time. That’s not an enormous drop-off, but considering how vital the onside kick is to last-minute comebacks, there was concern in and around the NFL that they had become too hard to recover. The alternative will be a bit easier to convert, and comebacks will become a little more feasible.
What they're doing now sucks. If this 4th and 15 gets it back to what it was before, I'm down with it.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In the Hopkins trade, Houston sent a fourth-round pick to Arizona in exchange for running back David Johnson, a second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-rounder.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Seattle signed Carlos Hyde to a one-year deal total value 4 million dollars. Unknown as to details
Before anyone gets upset that we didn't sign Hyde, be aware that last year he was playing through a torn shoulder labrum that he suffered early in the season and played through for most of the season. I reported in the Injury Thread in both a Sept and a Oct game that I believed he injured, then re-injured his shoulder using it as a "battering ram. As it turns out, Hyde underwent surgical repair of his shoulder labrum in Feb. Rehab and recovery would be expected to take ~6 months.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Before anyone gets upset that we didn't sign Hyde, be aware that last year he was playing through a torn shoulder labrum that he suffered early in the season and played through for most of the season. I reported in the Injury Thread in both a Sept and a Oct game that I believed he injured, then re-injured his shoulder using it as a "battering ram. As it turns out, Hyde underwent surgical repair of his shoulder labrum in Feb. Rehab and recovery would be expected to take ~6 months.
How does that keep anyone from being upset? It's not like the Texans weren't going to re-sign him because of it. My understanding is the Texans did try to re-sign Hyde but he wanted more than the 1 year the Texans were offering.

Ironic that Hyde, with, but still playing through an injury, still only gets 1 year and the Texans get a 2 year contract worth a shit ton more with a huge injury risk that doesn't get on the field. That sounds like a good swap.

I think he could do well in Seattle if he gets opportunities. I'm not upset that he didn't resign with the Texans.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The NFL as we know it will soon die. What comes out of the charred wreckage is anyone's guess, but it won't be what we're used to. I think it would be entertaining as hell to watch the NFL completely collapse, die, and then get reborn as another league. When we get to flag football, advertisements on uniforms and players wearing surgical gear over their uniforms we'll be there. :splits:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The NFL as we know it will soon die. What comes out of the charred wreckage is anyone's guess, but it won't be what we're used to. I think it would be entertaining as hell to watch the NFL completely collapse, die, and then get reborn as another league. When we get to flag football, advertisements on uniforms and players wearing surgical gear over their uniforms we'll be there. :splits:
You and I won't live that long

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
You and I won't live that long
You never know. Pro sports is going to lose an incredible amount of money this year, and possibly next year as well, how they recover from that might be the dreaded "reorganization" effect. Owners aren't going to bleed money forever.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
How does that keep anyone from being upset? It's not like the Texans weren't going to re-sign him because of it. My understanding is the Texans did try to re-sign Hyde but he wanted more than the 1 year the Texans were offering.

Ironic that Hyde, with, but still playing through an injury, still only gets 1 year and the Texans get a 2 year contract worth a shit ton more with a huge injury risk that doesn't get on the field. That sounds like a good swap.
That's exactly why no one should be upset with the deal falling through. A running who uses his shoulder to ram players is likely to be significantly affected by this injury/surgery, especially in the first year back.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's exactly why no one should be upset with the deal falling through. A running who uses his shoulder to ram players is likely to be significantly affected by this injury/surgery, especially in the first year back.
But it's another example of the Texans having no clue about player valuation.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You never know. Pro sports is going to lose an incredible amount of money this year, and possibly next year as well, how they recover from that might be the dreaded "reorganization" effect. Owners aren't going to bleed money forever.
There won't be changes that drastic that soon