Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

The other flaw that he hasn't fixed is his lack of ability in the passing game. He doesn't get open well, and he can't catch well either. He became somewhat of a liability last year in the fact that teams knew the Pats were way more likely to be passing the ball if Sony was on the field.

You seem to be contradicting yourself

I didn't notice much of a difference in his running style or ability last season from the first. It was more so just a difference in the lack of holes, but again he simply isn't a guy that bursts through the line on his first move. He's more of a hesitater which didn't work well for him last season. The season before he missed several games due to injury and without looking it up, I want to say he was available a lot more last season. I definitely didn't remember what injuries he suffered from all that year. He finally seemed the most healthy by the time the playoffs started where he had rested some. The other flaw that he hasn't fixed is his lack of ability in the passing game. He doesn't get open well, and he can't catch well either. He became somewhat of a liability last year in the fact that teams knew the Pats were way more likely to be passing the ball if Sony was on the field. Personally, I was very irritated that the Pats didn't give their rookie 3rd pick RB from Bama in Harris more reps. I like his running style for the NFL and what the Pats do, but he only carried the ball like 8 times all season.
He suffered what was called a "minor undisclosed injury" the end of last preseason. If fact, the injury was a hamstring which tended to flare throughout the 1st half of the season despite the fact that the injury never appeared on the weekly reports..........until Nov. when he legitimately was listed as a hamstring and officially missed 2 games for that issue. His hamstring continued to flare in practices through the remainder of the season. I also like the player and hopes he is able to leave his 2019 issue behind him going forward.

Then explain what you said instead of casting aspersions. Or read the quoted

Your responsibility not mine. Your initial attempt had pretty much zero info or specifics attached to it, so mine in return was delivered the same.

Cloack and Steel both quoted me in the same conversation and things went differently. Get what you give.

View attachment 6218

Interesting that the Ravens had the best NFL record last year and the rest of the teams listed never even made the playoffs.

Their defense did quietly really start to dominate in the 2nd half of the season. It hardly got its credit or talked about due to the offense making so much noise. They had a strong draft with a ton of picks as well. I figured this team would flame out fast due to a lot of their high dollar contracts, but now I'm seeing that they might be able to replace some guys with youth for a good price too. They'll have to pay Lamar after this season if he is pretty good though.

Your responsibility not mine. Your initial attempt had pretty much zero info or specifics attached to it, so mine in return was delivered the same.

Cloack and Steel both quoted me in the same conversation and things went differently. Get what you give.

I wasn't attacking you. I was just asking for clarification. You stated that Sony was bad in the passing game and yet teams knew when he was in the game the Pats were passing

I wasn't attacking you. I was just asking for clarification. You stated that Sony was bad in the passing game and yet teams knew when he was in the game the Pats were passing

I never said you were attacking me. I just criticized your initial approach when you quoted my post. This one here is much easier to engage with. :)

Without looking at my initial post, what I was saying was that teams typically knew that the Pats were passing when White was in the game, due to Sony's lack of pass catching ability. Not when Sony was in the game. Maybe I worded that wrong and accidentally wrote it backwards which I can understand what you mean as a contradiction. All you had to do is point that part out specifically. White was more of a 3rd down back, but also was used a lot on other downs if they needed better receiving options. White was pretty much the 2nd best receiving option the Pats had last season after Edelman.

Reactions: JB
I never said you were attacking me. I just criticized your initial approach when you quoted my post. This one here is much easier to engage with. :)

Without looking at my initial post, what I was saying was that teams typically knew that the Pats were passing when White was in the game, due to Sony's lack of pass catching ability. Not when Sony was in the game. Maybe I worded that wrong and accidentally wrote it backwards which I can understand what you mean as a contradiction. All you had to do is point that part out specifically. White was more of a 3rd down back, but also was used a lot on other downs if they needed better receiving options. White was pretty much the 2nd best receiving option the Pats had last season after Edelman.

Thank you, I got lazy the first time

Forty-niners WR Deebo Samuel suffered a Jones fracture while working out with teammates. He'll be undergoing surgery and will not be back by week 1.

Forty-niners WR Deebo Samuel suffered a Jones fracture while working out with teammates. He'll be undergoing surgery and will not be back by week 1.

That puts their receiving core in some trouble. I know they added that rookie who should be good, but their receiving core is pretty thin now.

If lucky, the Cowboys can add Gordon and Gregory to COVID-19 to their list of diseases being tested.:thinking:

Gordon didn't look good in either of his shortened seasons with the Patriots. His routes that he can run are very limited. I'm surprised that anyone would even give him any chances at this point. He no longer has the high upside that justifies the lack of availability risk.

No way they play this season.

I can't see it happening either.

The NBA model of a "Bubble" is the only viable way for sports to occur with Covid and even then with no fans in the seats.

That NBA model's probably been a logistical nightmare with only 15 players per team and reduced to 22 teams , coaches , trainers & medical staff …. Imagine that with the NFL and 55 man rosters (90 for training camp).

Beyond that , getting the players to agree to being isolated for 17 weeks plus the playoffs …. Seems an impossibility.

Dak Prescott has agreed to sign his franchise tender. He will attend TC and play this season on a 1-year deal with a guaranteed salary of a measly $31.4 million.
Smart move by Prescott and team still has over 10 million cap space; with Cee Dee Lamb on roster I may make history and become a watcher.

Do they get paid if the season is canceled ?!
This article addresses the potential scenario (including the salary cap implications):

The CBA doesn’t actually have a lot to say on the topic. What it does have to say is buried in one of the longest articles of the Agreement — Article 12 — which deals with revenue and salary cap. To find the relevant passage, we go to Section 1 a(xii):

Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR [All Revenues] for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.

This is identical to the wording of the 2011 CBA, except that in the 2011 document this was Section 1a(xi), and the there was one additional sentence related to specifically to the 2012 & 2013 seasons.

So, this is not a new provision of the CBA, but because of the COVID-19 situation, we face the very real possibility of the NFL being forced to cancel some, or even all, of the 2020 games.

That raises a couple of questions.

First of all, if some or all of the 2020 games are cancelled, will the players still get paid?
There are some answers that we don’t get until they are decided in a court of law or by an arbitrator, and this might be one of them if worse comes to worst, but the NFL owners probably don’t have much of a case if they try not to pay players due to cancellation of games.

The reason is that there is no force majeure clause in the CBA.

What is force majeure?

I’m glad you asked. The subject I enjoyed most during my 4 years of studying business administration and management at VCU was Business Law, and one of the concepts I learned in that course was force majeure. I don’t think I’ve had the opportunity in the intervening 39 years to make use of my knowledge of the concept.

I found a pretty useful explanation of it online:
The term ‘force majeure’ has been defined in Black’s Law Dictionary, as ‘an event or effect that can be neither anticipated nor controlled. It is a contractual provision allocating the risk of loss if performance becomes impossible or impracticable, especially as a result of an event that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled.’ While force majeure has neither been defined nor specifically dealt with, in Indian statutes, some reference can be found in Section 32 of the Indian Contract Act, 1872 (the “Contract Act”) envisages that if a contract is contingent on the happening of an event which event becomes impossible, then the contract becomes void.
From a contractual perspective, a force majeure clause provides temporary reprieve to a party from performing its obligations under a contract upon occurrence of a force majeure event.
By way of example, let’s cast our minds back to 2005, when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in August. Let’s imagine that in July of that year, a contractor agreed to build an outdoor patio at a client’s home in the city. Work was scheduled to begin in late August.

Katrina hit, greatly damaging the client’s home, leaving New Orleans flooded, and the contractor unable to do the work. Assuming the contract has the relevant clause, under the principles of force majeure, the contractor is no longer bound by the contract to perform the work, and the client is no longer required to pay the money stipulated in the contract — at least they won’t have to do so within the specified time frames. Depending on the wording of the clause, then the contract may be void due to “an act of God”. Force Majeure.

Because the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement has no force majeure provision, there seems to be little argument whether the owners need to pay the players if the games are not played. With no force majeure clause in the CBA, the owners should be held to the terms of the agreement; that is, they need to pay the players as long as the players make themselves available to play the games.

The owners could argue that the principle of force majeure should be applied, but since there is no force majeure clause in the CBA they would be on shaky ground. Here’s what the National Law Review website has to say on the subject:
When a party cannot perform its obligations under a contract because of an “act of God” or other unforeseen circumstance, the “act of God does not relieve the parties of their [contractual] obligations unless the parties expressly provided otherwise.” However, where the parties include a force majeure clause in the contract—a provision that allocates risk of non-performance in circumstances beyond the parties’ control—such “acts of God” or other circumstance may excuse performance.
Courts typically construe force majeure clauses narrowly.
Under the law of many states, including New York and Texas, the force majeure clause will be triggered only where the clause expressly includes the contingent event
. Where a force majeure clause explicitly uses terms such as “disease,” “epidemic,” “pandemic,” “quarantine,” “act of government” or “state of emergency,” parties may, depending on the circumstances, be able to assert force majeure as a defense to non-performance or anticipatory breach in the case of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Notably, it is not enough for the party asserting the force majeure clause to show that the “act of God” or other event made performance merely more difficult or more economically burdensome; the party must show that performance of its contractual obligations has been prevented by the event. Taking precautionary measures or making a voluntary decision not to perform is not the same as being prevented from performance.

This tells us that, having not included a force majeure clause in the Collective Bargaining Agreement means that the NFL and the players’ union have not agreed to any contractual relief in the case of an “Act of God” or similar force majeure event.
Force majeure in any given situation is controlled by the law governing the contract, rather than general concepts of force majeure. The owners cannot, on the basis of general principle then, use the cancellation of games as a reason to refuse to pay players.

The controlling law is sometimes specified in the agreement, in which the parties state which law(s) will be used in enforcing the contract. However, if the law is not specified in the agreement itself, then it is decided by a statute or principals of general law which apply to the contract. The CBA is governed by Federal Labor Law. I spent a few minutes looking, but didn’t find any specific guidelines for the application of force majeure under federal labor law. I assume that there are no surprises, and that with no force majeure clause in the CBA, the owners are obligated to pay the players according to their individual contracts, even if some or all of the games are cancelled, which is not the same situation faced by NBA and MLB owners.

THE WHOLE STORY

This article addresses the potential scenario (including the salary cap implications):

The CBA doesn’t actually have a lot to say on the topic. What it does have to say is buried in one of the longest articles of the Agreement — Article 12 — which deals with revenue and salary cap. To find the relevant passage, we go to Section 1 a(xii):

Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR [All Revenues] for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.

This is identical to the wording of the 2011 CBA, except that in the 2011 document this was Section 1a(xi), and the there was one additional sentence related to specifically to the 2012 & 2013 seasons.

So, this is not a new provision of the CBA, but because of the COVID-19 situation, we face the very real possibility of the NFL being forced to cancel some, or even all, of the 2020 games.

First of all, if some or all of the 2020 games are cancelled, will the players still get paid?
There are some answers that we don’t get until they are decided in a court of law or by an arbitrator, and this might be one of them if worse comes to worst, but the NFL owners probably don’t have much of a case if they try not to pay players due to cancellation of games.

What is force majeure?

I’m glad you asked. The subject I enjoyed most during my 4 years of studying business administration and management at VCU was Business Law, and one of the concepts I learned in that course was force majeure. I don’t think I’ve had the opportunity in the intervening 39 years to make use of my knowledge of the concept.

By way of example, let’s cast our minds back to 2005, when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in August. Let’s imagine that in July of that year, a contractor agreed to build an outdoor patio at a client’s home in the city. Work was scheduled to begin in late August.

Katrina hit, greatly damaging the client’s home, leaving New Orleans flooded, and the contractor unable to do the work. Assuming the contract has the relevant clause, under the principles of force majeure, the contractor is no longer bound by the contract to perform the work, and the client is no longer required to pay the money stipulated in the contract — at least they won’t have to do so within the specified time frames. Depending on the wording of the clause, then the contract may be void due to “an act of God”. Force Majeure.

Because the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement has no force majeure provision, there seems to be little argument whether the owners need to pay the players if the games are not played. With no force majeure clause in the CBA, the owners should be held to the terms of the agreement; that is, they need to pay the players as long as the players make themselves available to play the games.

The owners could argue that the principle of force majeure should be applied, but since there is no force majeure clause in the CBA they would be on shaky ground. Here’s what the National Law Review website has to say on the subject:

Under the law of many states, including New York and Texas, the force majeure clause will be triggered only where the clause expressly includes the contingent event
. Where a force majeure clause explicitly uses terms such as “disease,” “epidemic,” “pandemic,” “quarantine,” “act of government” or “state of emergency,” parties may, depending on the circumstances, be able to assert force majeure as a defense to non-performance or anticipatory breach in the case of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Notably, it is not enough for the party asserting the force majeure clause to show that the “act of God” or other event made performance merely more difficult or more economically burdensome; the party must show that performance of its contractual obligations has been prevented by the event. Taking precautionary measures or making a voluntary decision not to perform is not the same as being prevented from performance.

This tells us that, having not included a force majeure clause in the Collective Bargaining Agreement means that the NFL and the players’ union have not agreed to any contractual relief in the case of an “Act of God” or similar force majeure event.
Force majeure in any given situation is controlled by the law governing the contract, rather than general concepts of force majeure. The owners cannot, on the basis of general principle then, use the cancellation of games as a reason to refuse to pay players.

The controlling law is sometimes specified in the agreement, in which the parties state which law(s) will be used in enforcing the contract. However, if the law is not specified in the agreement itself, then it is decided by a statute or principals of general law which apply to the contract. The CBA is governed by Federal Labor Law. I spent a few minutes looking, but didn’t find any specific guidelines for the application of force majeure under federal labor law. I assume that there are no surprises, and that with no force majeure clause in the CBA, the owners are obligated to pay the players according to their individual contracts, even if some or all of the games are cancelled, which is not the same situation faced by NBA and MLB owners.

THE WHOLE STORY

I found something elsewhere …. closed the page already , have to try and find it.

Apparently they wont get paid - the force majeure is baked into the standard contract - Here's the article https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04...s-schedule-if-nfl-has-alter-or-cancel-season/

Article 6 of every players contract states that players get paid 100% of their base salary over the course of the applicable regular season commencing with the first regular season game by the club in such season

The bold being the key words.

I found something elsewhere …. closed the page already , have to try and find it.

Apparently they wont get paid - the force majeure is baked into the standard contract - Here's the article https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04...s-schedule-if-nfl-has-alter-or-cancel-season/

The bold being the key words.
I came across that article prior to posting mine (which was a month more recent). The questions left by article 6 that can still be legally challenged (per a contract lawyer I've spoken to) is the "guaranteed" salary............and also, the CBA leaves the door open for the players to negotiate their terms with the future salary cap, which could be a way that players can hold lost payment over the owners' heads if no salaries are distributed in 2020.

If the season is never played or is cut very short, expect lawsuits to be flying.

Watching NFL players do nothing to stand up for their league is hilarious.

All they've done is promote issues that ultimately hurt the popularity of their league.

Them losing a season along with their owners getting stung will be pretty good karma if you ask me.

What is force majeure?

THE WHOLE STORY

This is why they will be playing even if 1/2 the league comes down with the Covid-19.

If the players want to play hardball they're going to have to risk getting Covid-19 if they want to get paid. As it should be.

Watching NFL players do nothing to stand up for their league is hilarious.

All they've done is promote issues that ultimately hurt the popularity of their league.

Them losing a season along with their owners getting stung will be pretty good karma if you ask me.

Yep,

I'm going to enjoy the fall of God'ell's NFL.

I've got my popcorn ready.

As some players have daid kneeling is more important than playing. We're going to find out if getting paid is more important than getting the Covid-19. Kneel away, with the Covid-19 that is.

Yep,

I'm going to enjoy the fall of God'ell's NFL.

I've got my popcorn ready.

As some players have daid kneeling is more important than playing. We're going to find out if getting paid is more important than getting the Covid-19. Kneel away, with the Covid-19 that is.

These idiots don't even stand up for their league to go on.

They're all championing the media's lies to ruin our economy and bringing up racial issues instead of why they "need" their league to go on. They'll lose their season and will ultimately have a ton of bills to pay with their lavish lifestyles and getting fans to come back to football a year later will be even harder. They all deserve to fizzle at this point.

These idiots don't even stand up for their league to go on.

They're all championing the media's lies to ruin our economy and bringing up racial issues instead of why they "need" their league to go on. They'll lose their season and will ultimately have a ton of bills to pay with their lavish lifestyles and getting fans to come back to football a year later will be even harder. They all deserve to fizzle at this point.

Agree.

When fans discover it is just as much fun tailgating at a state park or some sunny beach at 1/10th the expense.

For the price of a stadium burger and fries you can get yourself a rib eye at the steak house.

And not near the aggravation caused by traffic bottlenecks.

I go to very few games and I am prepared to do without TV football and all the bogus politics that seem to dominate the league now.
Guy's kneeling and protesting before the game and then driving home in their BMW or Jaguar after the game.
Not smart enough to realize what the game has done for them.

In fact I am looking forward to it.

:coffee:

Since Jason Whitlock joined Outkick with Clay Travis, they are setting the sports reporting world on fire with their different perspectives and their "fearless" style of reporting which includes taking down rival sports networks that lie and try to use wokeness for viewership.

Clay and Whitlock both destroyed 'Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio" this weekend showing how fraudulent his business has been regarding the subjects he preaches about

Also Clay eviscerated Rovell on Friday night.

Agree.

When fans discover it is just as much fun tailgating at a state park or some sunny beach at 1/10th the expense.

For the price of a stadium burger and fries you can get yourself a rib eye at the steak house.

And not near the aggravation caused by traffic bottlenecks.

I go to very few games and I am prepared to do without TV football and all the bogus politics that seem to dominate the league now.
Guy's kneeling and protesting before the game and then driving home in their BMW or Jaguar after the game.
Not smart enough to realize what the game has done for them.

In fact I am looking forward to it.

I stopped going to games years ago for these same reasons. Even with a free ticket I've turned them down a few times.

Its a big hassle to get through parking, waking up early, and all the other nuances. I enjoy watching from home or a friend's house and having food and alcohol at my leisure and being able to pause the game.

As far as the politics go, these men are so spoiled and removed from every day citizenship lifestyles they have no idea how badly they are damaging their future earning ability. These leagues are more vulnerable then ever right now and the biggest reason why is the ignorance of the athletes and their struggles to realize that "fans pay their salary" and even woke fans would rather not have political crap every week. Some would, but that isn't the high paying fan profile that makes the NFL so much revenue.

Since Jason Whitlock joined Outkick with Clay Travis, they are setting the sports reporting world on fire with their different perspectives and their "fearless" style of reporting which includes taking down rival sports networks that lie and try to use wokeness for viewership.

Clay and Whitlock both destroyed 'Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio" this weekend showing how fraudulent his business has been regarding the subjects he preaches about

Also Clay eviscerated Rovell on Friday night.

Not surprisingly since Florio joined forces with NBC, PFT has turned into a liberal rag. NBC probably mandated this as part of the merger. I go there for football and instead get a bunch of political crap. I'm Pro Football Rumors more than ever now to get news.

I stopped going to games years ago for these same reasons. Even with a free ticket I've turned them down a few times.

Its a big hassle to get through parking, waking up early, and all the other nuances. I enjoy watching from home or a friend's house and having food and alcohol at my leisure and being able to pause the game.

As far as the politics go, these men are so spoiled and removed from every day citizenship lifestyles they have no idea how badly they are damaging their future earning ability. These leagues are more vulnerable then ever right now and the biggest reason why is the ignorance of the athletes and their struggles to realize that "fans pay their salary" and even woke fans would rather not have political crap every week. Some would, but that isn't the high paying fan profile that makes the NFL so much revenue.

That's me, less the alcohol. Never acquired the taste.

If have enjoyed watching football since 1960 (Oilers). But I think I have reached my football saturation point and my tolerance for idiocy point.

I'll find out for sure this year.

That's me, less the alcohol. Never acquired the taste.

If have enjoyed watching football since 1960 (Oilers). But I think I have reached my football saturation point and my tolerance for idiocy point.

I'll find out for sure this year.

I'm not saying I will full out ban football myself, but I might. It just depends on how much awful political stuff they are adding into it. I mainly only care about seeing the new look Bucs any way currently, so it doesn't matter all that much to me if the season is cancelled. Part of me thinks that is best, because the players and the owners all need a reality check and less support and income from fans. We've given them enough.

Not surprisingly since Florio joined forces with NBC, PFT has turned into a liberal rag. NBC probably mandated this as part of the merger. I go there for football and instead get a bunch of political crap. I'm Pro Football Rumors more than ever now to get news.

Peep out Whitlock's twitter page. Him and Clay destroyed him on Saturday.

Oh, we’re playing this season?
I was thinking out loud generally, but am now more concerned following two Emails that I received today from the Texans. The first one was about 9ish reminding the final payment would be deducted on 6/24. I am on the payment plan and the final payment was due on Wednesday 6/24. Was! At 3ish I received a second email that payment has now been automatically extended to July 15 because while they are still planning on hosting games at NRG, there are many details that still need to be addressed. They will be reaching out as soon as they have guidance from the NFL.

Last edited:
Harbaugh must have had someone from the powers that be have a heart-to-heart talk with him..............................

tenor.gif

......................he now says that despite the "humanly impossible" protocol, he is confident the season will happen.

I was thinking out loud generally, but am now more concerned following two Emails that I received today from the Texans. The first one was about 9ish reminding the final payment would be deducted on 6/24. I am on the payment plan and the final payment was due on Wednesday 6/24. Was! At 3ish I received a second email that payment has now been automatically extended to July 15 because while they are still planning on hosting games at NRG, there are many details that still need to be addressed. They will be reaching out as soon as they have guidance from the NFL.

I have a feeling we are only going to have the opportunity to go to a couple of games but will have to pay for the full season which will be applied to the 2021 season if a vaccine is developed by then.

I have a feeling we are only going to have the opportunity to go to a couple of games but will have to pay for the full season which will be applied to the 2021 season if a vaccine is developed by then.

Other teams have said they would issue refunds …. can't see the Texans not following suit.

If the games aren't played …. then they are taking your money for nothing and well , that just aint right.

Other teams have said they would issue refunds …. can't see the Texans not following suit.

If the games aren't played …. then they are taking your money for nothing and well , that just aint right.
It has been a couple of months since I read that either the Texans or the Cowboys would give the ticket holders a refund or apply the payment to next season. I don’t remember which one of the two. If we don’t play, I want a refund.

It has been a couple of months since I read that either the Texans or the Cowboys would give the ticket holders a refund or apply the payment to next season. I don’t remember which one of the two. If we don’t play, I want a refund.

If they don't play, do ticket prices still go up next year?

Back