Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

I'm not sure Long would be much of a fit. As far as I know he's played his whole career at LDE which would overlap too much with Watt. Had he played on the right side I'd be more apt to think he could kick inside a bit since it's his hands and motor than are where he excels. I don't really watch Rams games so I'm judging from highlights, but I really don't see Chris being much of an anchor, nor able to penetrate inside. Everything I see from him screams 4-3 defensive end - maybe he could stand up at OLB, but again he'd be overlapping Watt and we've already got 2 first rounders that we're trying to make work.

I think he's a great player, and yall know how I feel about legacies - so from my armchair I'd sign him anyways. I struggle to see him being worth what he'd cost on this team though, especially with so much need at the linebacker and offensive positions.

I agree that Oakland would be a heck of a fit across from Mack, and they sure do love throwing money at older defensive linemen.

I've always liked Chris Long as a player & wouldn't mind him being a Texans.

But at what cost. It would be a shame to finally get the kind of cap space needed to make some moves in FA & spend too much on the wrong players. I agree with BoP..... Crennel should be able to figure something out adding Long to the rotation, I don't think Crennel is as locked into a 3-4 scheme as many think.

But where's his value & what's his value to this team? He'd be a situational rotation guy. We're already trying to find room for Jd & Whitney. With Jd's injury issues, I understand having insurance but again, at what cost?

If Rick can pull it off, I'd be very surprised.
I'd find room for him on our defense. 3-4 scheme or not.
If push came to shove I'd play him over Jared Crick.
He could be a high-reward, low-risk sign. Good value there.

Crick is a big ugly. Don't expect a lot of stats coming from him. If he's doing his job, a guy like Whitney Mercilus can have a career year. If you watch Crick play & think a 270 lb 30 year old DE in can walk in & take his place... I don't know what to tell you. I know we label him a DE, but you have to watch how he lines up & what he does. He's more of a DT.

James Laurinaitis has never missed a game and rarely even missed a snap since the Rams drafted him in 2009, and so when he found out Friday he was cut, he was shocked.

I didn’t see this one coming,” Laurinaitis told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which is still covering the Rams even though they’re not in St. Louis anymore.

Laurinaitis said the Rams had asked him to be part of their marketing efforts in Los Angeles, and he agreed, so he assumed that meant he was in the team’s plans for this year.

“So I was like, if they’re gonna call and ask me to do that, I must be all right,” Laurinaitis said. “I thought maybe at worst, a pay cut. I still felt like I was producing.”

Laurinaitis was working out at the Rams’ facilities on Friday when he was told to report to coach Jeff Fisher’s office.

Link

I would bring in the talent first and foremost. And then allow the coaches to fit them into our schemes. It's that type of attitude that has hurt the Texans in the past. We pass on potentially good players because they don't fit our schemes....

What are you even talking about? The only real success this franchise has ever seen was with Kubiak's system, and he was notorious for taking guys that everybody else undervalued and making it work because they fit what he wanted to do.

You have to have talent. That's a given. But there also has to be some semblance of a cohesive fit between the 11 players on the field.

The real issue the Texans have had is that we hire coaches that want a rigid system but we acquire talent in a BPA fashion with little thought to how the player will fit that system.

What are you even talking about? The only real success this franchise has ever seen was with Kubiak's system, and he was notorious for taking guys that everybody else undervalued and making it work because they fit what he wanted to do.

You have to have talent. That's a given. But there also has to be some semblance of a cohesive fit between the 11 players on the field.

The real issue the Texans have had is that we hire coaches that want a rigid system but we acquire talent in a BPA fashion with little thought to how the player will fit that system.

Agreed, also they aren't big players in FA like the Broncos/Pats/Seahawks etc....

When do you think Smith gets your above post right? Also it doesn't help when Smith picks the Montgomery/Swearinger/Williams' of the world in the 2nd/3rd rds.

Agreed, also they aren't big players in FA like the Broncos/Pats/Seahawks etc....

When do you think Smith gets your above post right? Also it doesn't help when Smith picks the Montgomery/Swearinger/Williams' of the world in the 2nd/3rd rds.

I've never been a believer in making big moves in FA. The top franchises consistently find their key pieces in the draft and then use FA to fill holes with cheap, short term contracts. The teams that make splash moves in FA always seem to hamstring themselves financially. Everything starts with the draft.

To answer your question, the regime as currently structured isn't going to change. OB seems very married to his system. Crennel has shown some scheme diversity in the past but he is obviously most comfortable with a specific scheme. We either need to hire a coaching staff with more flexibility toward scheme or we need to hire a GM that will take the scheme's needs into account when selecting players.

I've never been a believer in making big moves in FA. The top franchises consistently find their key pieces in the draft and then use FA to fill holes with cheap, short term contracts. The teams that make splash moves in FA always seem to hamstring themselves financially. Everything starts with the draft.

To answer your question, the regime as currently structured isn't going to change. OB seems very married to his system. Crennel has shown some scheme diversity in the past but he is obviously most comfortable with a specific scheme. We either need to hire a coaching staff with more flexibility toward scheme or we need to hire a GM that will take the scheme's needs into account when selecting players.

Look at how many Broncos for example were added in FA. When McNair spent $$$$ after 2010 to pickup JoJo and Manning in FA not coincidentally the Texans 2 best yrs followed. 2011/2012.

Every coach has a scheme and it's the GM's job to find players that fit that scheme. IMHO

Here is a list of literally every major contributor for Denver this year:

QB Manning - 5 yr/$96M
QB Osweiler - Draft
RB Hillman - Draft
RB Anderson - UDFA
WR Thomas - Draft
WR Sanders - 3 yr/$15M (short and cheap)
WR Norwood - 2 yr/$1.4M (short and cheap)
TE Daniels - 3 yr/$12M (short and cheap)
TE Davis - Trade
TE Green - Draft
LT Clady - Draft
LG Mathis - 1 yr/$3M (short and cheap)
C Paradis - Draft
RG Vasquez - Draft
RT Schofield - Draft

DE Wolfe - Draft
DE Jackson - Draft
DE Smith - 1 yr/$2M (short and cheap)
NT Williams - Draft
OLB Miller - Draft
OLB Ware - 3 yr/$30M (short)
OLB Ray - Draft
ILB Marshall - 3 yr/$1.5M (short and cheap)
ILB Trevathan - Draft
ILB Barrett - UDFA
CB Talib - 6 yr/$57M
CB Harris - UDFA
CB Roby - Draft
S Ward - 4 yr/$22M
S Stewart - 2 yr/$4M (short and cheap)
S Bruton - Draft

Seems like they fit pretty much exactly the mold that I'm talking about. The bulk of the team is built off the draft. They then fill holes with short, cheap contracts. On their entire team they only have four guys that fit as big money FA additions. And Manning shouldn't even really count, as his circumstance was extremely unique to the FA market. Other than him they spent FA money on Ware (but on a short deal), Ward (who they got a hell of a bargain on), and Talib.

I agree with that & for the purpose of this conversation, it fits. Not really meaning to go off in a different direction, but I believe "the real issue" is that we haven't been very good at keeping our talent, which leaves us lacking in depth, year after year.

Demeco, Owen, Glover, Barwin, Reed..... Barwin & Reed are the ones I'm mostly referring to. We couldn't convince them to stay here for less money. They've been here for four years & Rick couldn't capitalize on the "we're building something special here." I'm glad we got Kareem to stay & we have "real" depth at that position, & we've managed to keep Mercilus.

Then the poor decision to release Owen, let Glover walk, trade Demeco... did that trade help us? Wouldn't be so bad if we got something out of it. I know money talks, but we need to get better at keeping some of those guys. Upgrading where necessary (I think we needed to upgrade from Reed) but we can't build through the draft if we can't keep the 2nd/3rd tier guys.

I agree with that & for the purpose of this conversation, it fits. Not really meaning to go off in a different direction, but I believe "the real issue" is that we haven't been very good at keeping our talent, which leaves us lacking in depth, year after year.

Demeco, Owen, Glover, Barwin, Reed..... Barwin & Reed are the ones I'm mostly referring to. We couldn't convince them to stay here for less money. They've been here for four years & Rick couldn't capitalize on the "we're building something special here." I'm glad we got Kareem to stay & we have "real" depth at that position, & we've managed to keep Mercilus.

Then the poor decision to release Owen, let Glover walk, trade Demeco... did that trade help us? Wouldn't be so bad if we got something out of it. I know money talks, but we need to get better at keeping some of those guys. Upgrading where necessary (I think we needed to upgrade from Reed) but we can't build through the draft if we can't keep the 2nd/3rd tier guys.

I would agree with that. My offseason plan would go something like this every year:

Step 1: Nail the draft
Step 2: Re-sign our players before they hit the market
Step 3: Fill holes in FA with short, cheap contracts

I would repeat that every year. The Texans consistently fail at #1. And even when they do hit on draft picks they fail more than I would like at #2.

Off the top of my head, the Pats & Seahawks aren't making the moves in FA that you want McNair to make. They aren't spending a crap load of money on talent. They actually make the kind of moves Rick Smith has made. Young players that look promising. Welker, Amendola, Keyshawn Martin... They do take chances on older players with "issues" but they're able to land them pretty cheap (since they offer a chance to win a Super Bowl any given year). Sometimes it works out (Moss) sometimes it doesn't (Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth).

But overall, they're not doing what you want McNair to do in FA. & Neither are the Seahawks. That's a team built through the draft more than not.

Look at how many Broncos for example were added in FA. When McNair spent $$$$ after 2010 to pickup JoJo and Manning in FA not coincidentally the Texans 2 best yrs followed. 2011/2012.

Every coach has a scheme and it's the GM's job to find players that fit that scheme. IMHO

I very much agree with the bolded.

As for Joseph and Manning, I do agree that they were contributors on those teams. But I would say that yes, it was either coincidental or only marginally attributable to their additions that we had such success in 2011 and 2012.

There were far more important factors than two FA additions. That was the tail end of Schaub's run at QB before pick six city. That was right smack in the middle of Foster's prime as the top back in the NFL. That was right when Wade came in and turned around the defense. That was right when we drafted Watt. That was right in Cushing's prime before his first injury.

I would say that Joseph and Manning did an admirable job. But I would say that every single one of those factors listed above played a more important role in our success those two years.

I very much agree with the bolded.

As for Joseph and Manning, I do agree that they were contributors on those teams. But I would say that yes, it was either coincidental or only marginally attributable to their additions that we had such success in 2011 and 2012.

There were far more important factors than two FA additions. That was the tail end of Schaub's run at QB. That was right smack in the middle of Foster's prime as the top back in the NFL. That was right when Wade came in and turned around the defense. That was right when we drafted Watt. That was right in Cushing's prime before his first injury.

I would say that Joseph and Manning did an admirable job. But I would say that every single one of those factors listed above played a more important role in our success those two years.

Really, they had the worst pass defense in the NFL in 2010 before JoJO/Manning were signed. I would have to say other than drafting Watt they were the reasons for this turnaround. All of the players you listed were on the 2010 team, minus Watt.

Off the top of my head, the Pats & Seahawks aren't making the moves in FA that you want McNair to make. They aren't spending a crap load of money on talent. They actually make the kind of moves Rick Smith has made. Young players that look promising. Welker, Amendola, Keyshawn Martin... They do take chances on older players with "issues" but they're able to land them pretty cheap (since they offer a chance to win a Super Bowl any given year). Sometimes it works out (Moss) sometimes it doesn't (Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth).

But overall, they're not doing what you want McNair to do in FA. & Neither are the Seahawks. That's a team built through the draft more than not.
The Green Bay Packers are notorious for not signing FA's. I don't know if it ended the season this way, but there was a point last season where 48 of the 53 players on Green Bay's roster had ever even been on another team's 53 man roster.

Did they sign Revis/Browner for their SB run? Moss? And yes they struck out on Johnson/Albert but atleast they tried.

Was Micheal Bennett signed as a FA? Traded for Graham/Lynch? Took a chance on a troubled but talented guy like Irvin in the draft? What kind of moves have the Texans made like this?

Really, they had the worst pass defense in the NFL in 2010 before JoJO/Manning were signed. I would have to say other than drafting Watt they were the reasons for this turnaround. All of the players you listed were on the 2010 team, minus Watt.

Pass Defense:

2009: 18th (Bush)
2010: 32nd (Bush)
2011: 3rd (Wade)
2012: 16th (Wade)
2013: 3rd (Wade)

So nothing else is attributable to the change? Just Joseph and Manning taking the NFL by storm?

We didn't back them up with a top five offense that kept them off the field?

Jackson didn't improve as a player?

We didn't have Cushing in his prime before he got hurt?

I think Wade and Watt deserve a little bit more respect than what you're giving them here..

Pass Defense:

2009: 18th (Bush)
2010: 32nd (Bush)
2011: 3rd (Wade)
2012: 16th (Wade)
2013: 3rd (Wade)

So nothing else is attributable to the change? Just Joseph and Manning taking the NFL by storm?

We didn't back them up with a top five offense that kept them off the field?

Jackson didn't improve as a player?

We didn't have Cushing in his prime before he got hurt?

I think Wade and Watt deserve a little bit more respect than what you're giving them here..

I give Wade and Watt alot of the credit. Watt is a generational player and Wade did things like moving Jackson to the slot in nickel where his abilities were more suited.

Adding JoJo allowed Wade to do this. Adding Manning helped add speed that was badly missing to the backend of the defense, which allowed Wade to be successful with his blitzing style of defense. Of course you already know this.

Bottom line is the Texans made bold moves in FA that lead to the most successful yrs in franchise history.

Did they sign Revis/Browner for their SB run? Moss? And yes they struck out on Johnson/Albert but atleast they tried.

Ok.... I thought you were talking about laying out some cash to land the big name FAs. That's the only point I was arguing. Revis, I don't remember if it was a big money deal, but I thought there were questions about his ability to play after knee surgery. So that makes him more of a "chance" thing. Browner definitely wasn't a big money deal & when it came time to pay both of them "big" money, the Patriots opted not to & let them go.

Again, "at least they tried" for the Patriots means they signed them to low ball offers. "at least they tried" for the Texans means they offered them a low ball offer & they didn't bite.

Was Micheal Bennett signed as a FA? Traded for Graham/Lynch? Took a chance on a troubled but talented guy like Irvin in the draft? What kind of moves have the Texans made like this?

I thought you were talking about the Super Bowl winning Seahawks, not the one & done Seahawks. Yes, the one & done Seahawks were active in the offseason.

Ok.... I thought you were talking about laying out some cash to land the big name FAs. That's the only point I was arguing. Revis, I don't remember if it was a big money deal, but I thought there were questions about his ability to play after knee surgery. So that makes him more of a "chance" thing. Browner definitely wasn't a big money deal & when it came time to pay both of them "big" money, the Patriots opted not to & let them go.

Again, "at least they tried" for the Patriots means they signed them to low ball offers. "at least they tried" for the Texans means they offered them a low ball offer & they didn't bite.

I thought you were talking about the Super Bowl winning Seahawks, not the one & done Seahawks. Yes, the one & done Seahawks were active in the offseason.

Revis got paid big $$$$ for a 1 yr deal with the Pats. I dont know about Browners contract.

Bennett/Lynch were on the SB winning teams.

You're reaching, bottom line for me is atleast these teams are doing everything possible to win. Can you honestly say the same thing about the Texans org.

Also forgot to mention above, what year did Quin move over to S? It couldn't have been 2011 could it? Oh wait, it was.

Also forgot to mention above, what year did Quin move over to S? It couldn't have been 2011 could it? Oh wait, it was.

True, so the backend of the defense was secured by adding JoJo/Manning and Wade putting Jackson/Quin in positions to succeed.

You've got to add talent but without coaching talent will fail.

Revis and Browner were both signed by the Patriots to 1 year deals. Damn, those pesky short term FA contracts again that keep making my point.

Moss was acquired via trade not FA, which isn't a point for you in your argument. He also restructured his contract to be more team-friendly when he arrived in NE, so they got him for cheaper than they should have.

Strikeouts on the exact type of FA moves that you're advocating for can't just be dismissed with, "but at least they tried." That's a copout. It's the exact type of move you're begging for and it failed.

Michael Bennett was signed by SEA on a 1 yr/$5M contract. Damn, another one of those short, cheap ones. They then re-signed him before he could hit the market again the next year.

Graham and Lynch weren't FA additions. They were added via trade, which I know you know is completely different. Irvin was a draft pick. What does that have to do with spending money in FA?

True, so the backend of the defense was secured by adding JoJo/Manning and Wade putting Jackson/Quin in positions to succeed.

I would agree. And with that point made, I stand by my belief that Wade and the defensive overhaul that came with him had far more to do with our success in 2011 and 2012 than adding Joseph and Manning did.

I will admit that I see those two FA signings as a success overall, and that we ended up being better with them than we would have been without them. But not to the degree that you have been letting on in this thread.

I would agree. And with that point made, I stand by my belief that Wade and the defensive overhaul that came with him had far more to do with our success in 2011 and 2012 than adding Joseph and Manning did.

I will admit that I see those two FA signings as a success overall, and that we ended up being better with them than we would have been without them. But not to the degree that you have been letting on in this thread.

The numbers speak for themselves. Not only in the stats but in where it matters the most. W/L's

Revis and Browner were both signed by the Patriots to 1 year deals. Damn, those pesky short term FA contracts again that keep making my point.

Moss was acquired via trade not FA, which isn't a point for you in your argument. He also restructured his contract to be more team-friendly when he arrived in NE, so they got him for cheaper than they should have.

Strikeouts on the exact type of FA moves that you're advocating for can't just be dismissed with, "but at least they tried." That's a copout. It's the exact type of move you're begging for and it failed.

Michael Bennett was signed by SEA on a 1 yr/$5M contract. Damn, another one of those short, cheap ones. They then re-signed him before he could hit the market again the next year.

Graham and Lynch weren't FA additions. They were added via trade, which I know you know is completely different. Irvin was a draft pick. What does that have to do with spending money in FA?

I'm just pointing out the way that successful teams are built, in contrast to the way the Texans are built.

If you're good with the way McNair/Smith have built this team the mediocrity with a few star players is good enough.

One thing is for sure McNair isn't concerned about selling his brand to the level of fan that's on this MB. He's already got us on the hook.

I'm just pointing out the way that successful teams are built, in contrast to the way the Texans are built.

If you're good with the way McNair/Smith have built this team the mediocrity with a few star players is good enough.

One thing is for sure McNair isn't concerned about selling his brand to the level of fan that's on this MB. He's already got us on the hook.

You're bringing up successful teams and then attributing their success to being built a certain way, but they aren't built the way you are describing.

All the top franchises are built through the draft. All of them. Some of them occasionally spend money in FA. Most of them spend very little, because they spend most of their money re-signing their own draft picks.

The Texans consistently fail the draft, and thus have not been very successful. That's what holds the franchise back, not lack of FA spending.

You don't think you're confusing McNair's concern with ineptitude?

I don't think anyone here would argue in general with the FO's mistakes, but the disconnect is when you want to take it to the level of utter neglect.

I don't think anyone here would argue in general with the FO's mistakes, but the disconnect is when you want to take it to the level of utter neglect.

That's the point that he can't seem to grasp. Don't know how is not the same as don't want to

Last edited:
Chiefs coach Andy Reid will miss the 2016 Scouting Combine after undergoing surgery to replace a knee. The team announced the development on Saturday.

It’s the second straight offseason including a new knee for Reid. Last year, he underwent the procedure on his other knee. He was able to attend the Combine in Indianapolis. In 2015, Reid missed the Senior Bowl due to the surgery.

Link

Oh look, Andy Reid doesn't care about winning.

Reactions: JB
Link

Oh look, Andy Reid doesn't care about winning.
Not to get into the "who cares and who doesn't care" aspect, but Reid's surgeries are not a good comparison to Kubiak's as a factor for missing activities such as the Combine. Kubiak's sleep apnea surgery is a relatively minor surgery that involves virtually no postoperative pain, requires no rehab, leaves no real postoperative debility, and carries a recovery back to work for the typical person of ~1 week. Complications are very uncommon and scheduling such a surgery is unlikely to disrupt the average person's routine responsibilities beyond a week or 2.

A knee replacement, on the other hand is a very major surgery, with a time-intensive preoperative evaluation and preoperative muscle strengthening program (remember the Chief's postseason ended only 1 month ago), with a great deal of relatively long-term postoperative pain requiring narcotics (neither being helpful to concentration and planning responsibilities), requires extensive and intensive rehab, leaves significant postoperative debility, and carries a recovery back to work of at least 1 1/2 - 2 months . Studies have found that patients who return to work before that time tend to report more pain, function and work limitations than those who return later post-surgery. Complications, unfortunately are not uncommon, especially those involving debilitating pain........all of these factors can make the ability to schedule activities unpredictable, and can be very disruptive to the average person's routine as full rehab many times is not attained before 6-9 months.

Offseason workout programs for the Chiefs begin in less than 2 months. That would be the most important target for Reid. A week could easily make a difference as to whether he is "in shape" to participate. If everything goes without a hitch, that would be just under the wire for Reid's recovery as it stands with the chosen surgery date. [BTW, I'm sure that being one of the 2016 ProBowl coaches already messed with and delayed his preoperative prep program and surgical scheduling beyond when it would have been ideal.]

Last edited:
You're bringing up successful teams and then attributing their success to being built a certain way, but they aren't built the way you are describing.

All the top franchises are built through the draft. All of them. Some of them occasionally spend money in FA. Most of them spend very little, because they spend most of their money re-signing their own draft picks.

The Texans consistently fail the draft, and thus have not been very successful. That's what holds the franchise back, not lack of FA spending.

Agreed about the draft, however I think you have to have a combination of the draft/FA/trades to be successful. Atleast that's what the good teams do. For instance the Broncos drafted Bradley Robey/Wolfe/Jackson/Miller, signed Manning Talib/Ware/Daniels and traded for Davis during this season.

Could you see the Texans org doing something like this? I dont

Neglect isn't the right word. Concern over putting the best product on the field possible over profiteering is my best description. Many disagree with this but the results speak for themselves.

Agreed about the draft, however I think you have to have a combination of the draft/FA/trades to be successful. Atleast that's what the good teams do. For instance the Broncos drafted Bradley Robey/Wolfe/Jackson/Miller, signed Manning Talib/Ware/Daniels and traded for Davis during this season.

Could you see the Texans org doing something like this? I dont

The Texans have brought players in through trade in the past, notably the only real franchise QB we've ever had. And more recently, we have even shipped off players we no longer wanted for future draft picks instead of just releasing those players and getting nothing in return.

We have also been players in FA. Have we spent Aqib Talib money? No. But we have spent money and brought in players.

When you and I talk about football on the field we tend to agree on just about everything. But as soon as the discussion gets off the field I think you tend to just see what you want to see instead of what is really there. You want the Texans to be built a certain way because you think it will lead to success and I respect that. But I think you look at the successful franchises and attribute their success to the wrong things.

The biggest difference between the Texans and the Broncos/Patriots/Seahawks is that they consistently nail the draft and then re-sign those guys before they ever hit the market. We don't.

The Texans have brought players in through trade in the past, notably the only real franchise QB we've ever had. And more recently, we have even shipped off players we no longer wanted for future draft picks instead of just releasing those players and getting nothing in return.

We have also been players in FA. Have we spent Aqib Talib money? No. But we have spent money and brought in players.

When you and I talk about football on the field we tend to agree on just about everything. But as soon as the discussion gets off the field I think you tend to just see what you want to see instead of what is really there. You want the Texans to be built a certain way because you think it will lead to success and I respect that. But I think you look at the successful franchises and attribute their success to the wrong things.

The biggest difference between the Texans and the Broncos/Patriots/Seahawks is that they consistently nail the draft and then re-sign those guys before they ever hit the market. We don't.

And nobody pays a price for the failed draft picks except for Kubiak.(Which really wasn't fair. (IMHO)

I expect the same fate for BOB in a couple of yrs. (Sadly) Status quo seems to be the order of the day.

And nobody pays a price for the failed draft picks except for Kubiak.(Which really wasn't fair. (IMHO)

I expect the same fate for BOB in a couple of yrs. (Sadly) Status quo seems to be the order of the day.

We certainly agree there. The Texans need change at the top.

Which is all fine. He could have delayed a week.

I don't think it is a big deal for either.

I think it depends on the HC's relationship with the GM. In hindsight it appears Kubiak's relationship wasn't as solid as he thought it was.

I kid... for all we know, Kubiak was trying to give Smith room to be his own man. Do his own thing.

Not to get into the "who cares and who doesn't care" aspect, but Reid's surgeries are not a good comparison to Kubiak's as a factor for missing activities such as the Combine. Kubiak's sleep apnea surgery is a relatively minor surgery that involves virtually no postoperative pain, requires no rehab, leaves no real postoperative debility, and carries a recovery back to work for the typical person of ~1 week. Complications are very uncommon and scheduling such a surgery is unlikely to disrupt the average person's routine responsibilities beyond a week or 2.

A knee replacement, on the other hand is a very major surgery, with a time-intensive preoperative evaluation and preoperative muscle strengthening program (remember the Chief's postseason ended only 1 month ago), with a great deal of relatively long-term postoperative pain requiring narcotics (neither being helpful to concentration and planning responsibilities), requires extensive and intensive rehab, leaves significant postoperative debility, and carries a recovery back to work of at least 1 1/2 - 2 months . Studies have found that patients who return to work before that time tend to report more pain, function and work limitations than those who return later post-surgery. Complications, unfortunately are not uncommon, especially those involving debilitating pain........all of these factors can make the ability to schedule activities unpredictable, and can be very disruptive to the average person's routine as full rehab many times is not attained before 6-9 months.

Quite a bit of difference, even though it doesn't fit some posters narratives

I don't think attending the combine is nearly as important to the HC's as it is to the fans

6-10 is 6-10 Results are results seems like being there may be a little more important than you think. Especially with a rebuilding team. But hey, they were coming off that glorious 9-7 season when they played the easiest schedule I've seen, with Schaub playing great ball and still didn't make the playoffs.

That is when I knew and said Smithiak was a fraud. Which is exactly how thing played out. Sad thing is the Smith part is still around after a decade of fail.

My random thought today is I hope the NFL remains strong. Same for MLB and the NBA. That could only help the NHL if you want them to remain under the radar, as I do.

The minute a sport goes "boom" guys in suits and strangers to the sport ruin it.

Stay humble, NHL, we love you just the way you are.

Aaron Wilson
Chiefs cut offensive tackle who had heart attack
Posted February 19, 2016

The Kansas City Chiefs cut offensive tackle Tavon Rooks with a non-football illness designation.

Rooks suffered a heart attack during training camp.

Rooks is a former New Orleans Saints sixth-round draft pick from Kansas State.

He was signed last year by Kansas City.

Rooks was diagnosed with an acute myocardial infarction, which was caused by a blood clot in the left anterior descending artery, according to the Kansas City Star.

Fortunate young man. Other sites of coronary blockage can usually be compensated by delivering blood supply to the heart from the other coronary artery branches. That particular blockage location is called "Widower's Disease"...................because those who suffer one commonly die, and the wives of affected men therefore often become widows.

Last edited:
I would agree with that. My offseason plan would go something like this every year:

Step 1: Nail the draft
Step 2: Re-sign our players before they hit the market
Step 3: Fill holes in FA with short, cheap contracts

I would repeat that every year. The Texans consistently fail at #1. And even when they do hit on draft picks they fail more than I would like at #2.
I would add, STAY HEALTHY!

And without talent coaching will fail... It's a symbiotic relationship.

Back