Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

My random thought today is I hope the NFL remains strong. Same for MLB and the NBA. That could only help the NHL if you want them to remain under the radar, as I do.

The minute a sport goes "boom" guys in suits and strangers to the sport ruin it.

Stay humble, NHL, we love you just the way you are.
I only wish the NFL had remained dead after that strike year.

Arbitrator forces NFL to return more than $100 million to salary pool

The NFL has had plenty of public embarrassments in recent years. Here’s one that remained under the radar, until recently.

According to Matthew Futterman of the Wall Street Journal, arbitrator Stephen Burbank has found that owners mischaracterized millions in ticket revenue by creating an improper exemption. The NFL Players Assocation believes that the shortfall exceeds $100 million; this means that more than $50 million will be added to the total, league-wide salary cap.

It's nice to see a player own up and take responsibility.

“Like I told coach [Marvin Lewis], I wish I could take that play back because I probably would’ve hit him low,” Burfict said. “I don’t like hitting low, but I have to change because it’s getting flags because I hit him high or hit him in the helmet, and it’s so hard to determine where to hit the offender because they’re gonna tuck their body, and you have to pretty much tuck with them.”

Not really. He immediately turned around and claimed he was being singled out:
Yes he did, but that doesn't mean he doesn't recognize that it's him that has to change. Too many players feel they are singled out and don't need to change there actions or style of play.

Last edited:
Well I laud his commitment to change but I don't consider it 'taking responsibility' when you are essentially blaming the refs.

Manning might not retire......

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...manning_wants_to_keep_playing/s1_127_20410873

Peyton Manning has yet to make an announcement about whether he will keep playing in 2016, and that could be because he is still trying to decide.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Manning wants to play another season.

“He’d like to keep playing. In a perfect world, he’d like to keep playing,” Schefter told Mike and Mike in the Morning on Tuesday. “The question is, who is going to give him an opportunity? It’s tough to identify that team right now that’s going to sign him to the deal that makes it worthwhile for him.

brock.gif

Manning may play again next year but it won't be for Denver. Elway is being respectful and giving him time but if this rolls to the deadline he will cut him before he lets him lock in for that $19M next year.

One yd pass?????.............unbelievable!!!

Rocket-armed quarterback Rudy Bukich dies at 85
March 1, 2016, 1:43 PM EST

When Rudy Bukich entered in the NFL in 1953, football was still a run-first, pass-second game, and a quarterback’s primary job was to hand off.

But Bukich, who died Monday at the age of 85, had an arm that could put even today’s best passers to shame.

In his book Greatest Quarterbacks, Peter King wrote that Bukich had the strongest arm in NFL history, and quoted multiple witnesses who said they saw Bukich do something that sounds impossible: Throw a football 100 yards.

“It’s true,” Bukich’s former teammate Mike Ditka told King. “I saw Rudy do it. I was on the field that day. Now, I’d seen him try it before, and it’d go maybe 95. But he did throw it 100 that one time.”

Bukich was named Player of the Game in the 1953 Rose Bowl after quarterbacking USC to a 7-0 win over Wisconsin, and the Los Angeles Rams chose him in the second round of the 1953 NFL draft. After his rookie season Bukich spent two years in the military, and after that he bounced around the NFL, from L.A. to Washington to Chicago to Pittsburgh, without ever making a major impact in the league.

But when Bukich returned to Chicago for his second stint with the Bears in 1962, coach George Halas saw something he liked in Bukich’s strong arm. Bukich’s best season came in 1965, when he led the Bears to a 9-3 record while throwing for 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions, extremely impressive stats for the time. That year Bukich was named a second-team All-Pro.

Bukich had only one more season as a starter, however, and retired in 1968. He won’t be remembered as one of the great quarterbacks of his era, but those who saw him throw will always remember the rocket arm that may have been the strongest the game of football has ever seen.

Manning may play again next year but it won't be for Denver. Elway is being respectful and giving him time but if this rolls to the deadline he will cut him before he lets him lock in for that $19M next year.

I've been a Peyton Manning fan for years. Love the guy & respect what he's brought to the league. He's a legend & I'm thankful I got to watch him play (well, other than the twice a year thing).

It hurt watching him play last season. I can't imagine Denver bringing him back, not after the series of "right moves" they've been stringing together.

I can't imagine what team would bring him in to start. Cleveland? Sign the Sheriff, groom Goff... nah.

St. Louis, Sign the Sheriff, groom Lynch? Don't see it.

Maybe the Jets. Pay Fitz $10M or Peyton $15M... mmmmmmmaybe.

I've been a Peyton Manning fan for years. Love the guy & respect what he's brought to the league. He's a legend & I'm thankful I got to watch him play (well, other than the twice a year thing).

It hurt watching him play last season. I can't imagine Denver bringing him back, not after the series of "right moves" they've been stringing together.

I can't imagine what team would bring him in to start. Cleveland? Sign the Sheriff, groom Goff... nah.

St. Louis, Sign the Sheriff, groom Lynch? Don't see it.

Maybe the Jets. Pay Fitz $10M or Peyton $15M... mmmmmmmaybe.

McNair said he wanted a QB... Manning to groom Savage and Hack for a year? Scary

Eagles just re-signed Bradford for 2 years $36M. Wonder if they're still looking at QB in the draft.

Terrell Suggs was involved in a one car accident (no injuries) arrested for driving with a suspended license for multiple speeding tickets.

Still haven't seen this anywhere

It's a fake Twitter. Notice how there is a c in RapSheet. There are hundreds of fake Rapoport and Schefter Twitter handles because some losers just have nothing better to do with their lives than to try and fool some people on the Internet.

Reactions: JB
PDS ‏@PatDStat 17s17 seconds ago

Former #Texans ILB Justin Tuggle has signed with the Cleveland #Browns.
Any chance we can sign DeMeco Ryans to a cheap, one or two-year deal? I mentioned this on the radio show today and most people just think DeMeco is too slow and offers nothing valuable anymore. I know he's lost a step, or two or three steps for that matter, but at 31 years old he still plays hard and provides some good veteran leadership. We'll probably draft a linebacker in the middle of the draft.

Might be a really good deal for the Pats (boooo!). Chandler was probably their weakest link last season. With all of the injuries, Brady kept trying to go to Chandler to no avail - and it may have cost them a game or two. A bit odd to use a 4th round pick for an aging backup tightend though, seems they could've targeted someone in the draft to do the job.

A bit odd to use a 4th round pick for an aging backup tightend though, seems they could've targeted someone in the draft to do the job.
Yeah but Martellus Bennett had a career high 90 receptions just two seasons ago (2014). His 2015 season was filled with injuries but he still had 53 receptions.

He's been very productive the past two seasons. I know he's 29 now but if he can stay healthy in 2016, he could be very reliable in the Patriots double TE formations. Playing with the best TE in our generation, Rob Gronkowski, all Bennett has to do is what he's been doing the past two seasons - make catches. That's all the Patriots really need from him. Well that and some decent blocking with his big size.

Chances are a rookie tight end isn't going to give you what Martellus Bennett can in terms of overall production. Sure, the Patriots would like to draft another Aaron Hernandez (athletic young tight end who's pretty much a special playmaker like Gronk is) - the non-murdering kind though, but I think trading for a productive veteran tight end is smart for the type of team they have right now.

NFL Insider reveals how much Chip Kelly was willing to sacrifice to draft Marcus Mariota

Giant grain of salt and all that, but I've also never heard Peter Schrager to be of any disrepute. And this is kinda bold to stick your neck out on just cuz.
If this is true, just wow. But, we knew Kelly wanted Mariota badly.

To recap...

2015 1st
2015 2nd
2016 1st
Any QB on the roster (Bradford)
Any defensive player on the roster (F Cox)

for Mariota.

Idk ... great fodder if nothing else.

So who do you all think will the Broncos season opener?

Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Houston, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Carolina, New England

Division game opener against Oakland? The Raiders have been loading up and this may be an attractive match up.
New England? Always a ratings grabber.
Houston? Osweiler going back to Denver would be the story. I sure hope this isn't the case.

Peyton decides to retire as a Bronco, not a Colt. Surprised?
LINK

sorry if there's already a thread about this... I didn't see it.

Peyton decides to retire as a Bronco, not a Colt. Surprised?
LINK

sorry if there's already a thread about this... I didn't see it.

He's under contract with the Broncos. I don't see how he could retire a Colt...especially since he's already announced his retirement.

What does it matter?
As a Texans' fan, it doesn't "matter".
But I thought it interesting he didn't opt to retire as a Colt since they drafted him and - from what I've heard - will (have they already?) retire his number. There's also talk about a Peyton statue in front of the stadium (can't find a link)

He's under contract with the Broncos. I don't see how he could retire a Colt...especially since he's already announced his retirement.
Is he still under contract? Isn't his contract over at the end of this league year? And wasn't that some time this month?

Is he still under contract? Isn't his contract over at the end of this league year? And wasn't that some time this month?

I believe he had one year remaining, team option. By him retiring he went to the Retired List. That should not invalidate that final year option; merely means neither side has an action to take. I believe they would have to trade him. At this point, is it really necessary? He's going to HoF as a Colt. He'll always be a Colt.

No, he was under contract for another year with the Broncos. That's why they couldn't negotiate a contract with several of their FAs until Manning retired. His retiring freed up $19M. If he didn't retire, he'd be a Bronco for another year.

If he decides to come out of retirement, the Broncos own his rights.

Back